EVENT: 50 Things You Learn From A Korean Drama (2021 edition)

partyon

EVENT: 50 Things You Learn From A Korean Drama (2021 edition)  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these tropes are true in 2021? (choose as many as you like)

• 1) You're allowed to make u-turns wherever you want in Korea. And there is never traffic on the side you want to u-turn to.
    • 2) Soju must cost 1500 wons. Everyone drinks it every day all the time, especially the poor people.
    • 3) If you're rich, you're a jerk. If you're poor, you're an angel.
    • 4) You're not studying hard enough unless you get a nosebleed.
    • 5) Everyone always goes to the same hospital no matter where they are.
    • 6) If you stand out in the rain for more than five minutes, you'll end up with a fever and vertigo and people will rush you to the hospital to get some magic IV. And instead of taking an ambulance or driving they'll race you on their back.
    • 7) Truck of doom: If you're saving someone from being hit by a truck, you'll push them out of the way and wait for the truck to hit you instead. They're like a deer in headlights.
    • 8) If you're getting off a plane, you're ALWAYS wearing sunglasses. ALWAYS.
    • 9) Girls will always storm off because they're mad and the guy will stoically grab them by the arm and swing them back- and by magic, not dislocate their shoulders.
    • 10) You always get stuck in an elevator with someone who makes you feel uncomfortable. Even if there are six different elevators, you'll be stuck in the same one with that guy you hate.
    • 11) You're in-laws will hate you. Or throw water in your face. Or both.
    • 12) There are only 2 ways to kiss. You either press your lips against theirs with your mouth completely shut, and just press away for a very long and uncomfortable time. OR you devour the other person and suck out their soul.
    • 13) A guy will always get the right size ring, even if you're never held hands.
    • 14) Forget steamy bed scenes. You'll get pregnant just by holding hands or getting a back hug.
    • 15) One man can kick the butts of 6 gangstas. Especially when they all stand in a circle and attack the guy one by one. Then when each of them get their butts OWNED, they wise up and attack the guy at the same time. Then the guy will get pulverized and bleed out onto the dusty concrete floor of the empty warehouse they've found to fight in. There will be a fire in a trashcan somewhere. And the girl will have watched this the entire time, screaming in horror. Instead of calling 119, she'll just watch and cry. But it's okay. Cuz the next day the guy will be fine with a few random bandages and a few face scars. But never a black eye.
    • 16) If you study in the states (preferably Harvard), you are one of the top students and can speak perfect English (as assumed by the reactions of those around you). Why the viewers can't understand a single word uttered out of your mouth is beyond me.
    • 17) If you have a husband, he's probably a cheater. The audience will be shown lots of barf scenes of him cheating. You'll need barf bags.
    • 18) The leads knew each other as kids already. They just don't remember. Until the last episode.
    • 19) A drama isn't complete without the ML brooding in the shower
    • 20) In crime dramas, everyone is randomly killed off (preferably by a serial killer with a brain transplant)
  2. 2. Which of these tropes are true in 2021? (choose as many as you like)

• 21) People always eat at a Subway. Or using a coffee maker, putting on facial cream or offering your colleagues donuts while the camera zooms in on the brand
    • 22) If you're being cheated on, you will throw water in the face of your hubby's mistress. Or you'll slap her. Or you'll grab her by her hair. In any case, the husband will not interfere.
    • 23) If you're not drinking soju, you're drinking iced Americano
    • 24) Ramen is the national dish of Korea. You'll be slurping away on ramen in nearly every episode. And you'll compliment how good it is.
    • 25) You will take out a cigarette but you'll never light it
    • 26) If it's winter, you never look cold even though you're not wearing winter clothes. Even if it's below zero degrees. You're always feeling warm because yeah, you're fashionable.
    • 27) Even if you're poor, you'll have the latest Samsung phone. And the rich guy will have the same model but in a different color.
    • 28) When driving, you don't need to look at the road. You gaze at the passenger while the car just drives itself. And you never need to check the mirrors because you're the best driver in the world. Oh, and no traffic jams ever.
    • 29) Someone in the drama is always a secret chaebol. Usually the ML.
    • 30) The ML is always younger than the FL. Because noonas are in fashion and apparently every man in Korea wants one. And if you're an ahjussi, then you'll prefer a super young woman. An idol actress will be cast in that role
    • 31) The wrist grab…. Nuff said
    • 32) If you're in the elevator, the elevator is the slowest in the world. You can have a 3 minute discussion in the elevator even though the building is only 4 floors in total. This is normal elevator speed in Korea.
    • 33) If you're second ML, you'll never get the girl. The 2nd ML always arrives at the scene late as the ML has already comforted/ rescued the FL.
    • 34) If you're a criminal, you always wear black clothes and a black baseball cap. Because no, you won't look suspicious at all. lol
    • 35) If a guy is a jerk, he is definitely into you. He'll have narcissistic tendencies, but he will just miraculously change for the female lead WITHOUT any kind of therapy. Because you know, the power of love.
    • 36) A taxi immediately appears every time and everywhere as long as you wave your hand and shout "taxi!"
    • 37) If you're working in a restaurant or at the fish/fruit market, you'll be an ahjumma with curly permed hair and floral clothes.
    • 38) If you travel abroad you always want to go to France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany or Spain. If you happen to speak German, French, Italian or Spanish, viewers won't understand a word of it.
    • 39) If you're playing an "ugly" character, taking off your glasses and straightening your hair will turn you into a goddess.
    • 40) If you are having coffee/juice/pizza in a cafe/restaurant, you will never finish them. You won't take a sip or bite of it, and leave the poor thing on table since something urgent always happens.
  3. 3. Which of these tropes are true in 2021? (choose as many as you like)

• 41) You'll always tell someone that the weather is nice. Even though there's a hurricane. Because yeah, you'll think that the rain and wind are refreshing
    • 42) Slaps are more effective in makjang dramas using food - seaweed, kimchi, a pork chop.
    • 43) If you're a police officer or a detective, you won't have common sense. No, all criminals will be smarter than you. The newbie in your squad will puke at the crime scene. You'll be good at fighting, but the criminal will always get away, because they will be better than you at taekwondo. So, you won't catch him until the last episode.
    • 44) You have bangs regardless if you're a man or a woman. Yup, even if you look better showing off your forehead, you'll still want to have outdated whispy bangs if you're a girl and a bowl cut if you're a boy. And this Korean trend will not fade away - it will still be the trend in 10 years. Heck 50 years. We can only dream of forehead oppas.
    • 45) If you get a head injury even if it's serious enough to cause amnesia, your hairstyle will still look the same because all you need is an IV - never a bandage.
    • 46) If you’re poor, you almost always live in a ramshackled rooftop unit with a splendid view and a private balcony.
    • 47) When people move out, they always leave with one suitcase only. And the suitcase will seem empty
    • 48) Characters with actual serious illness will not go a hospital but will resist efforts to help them till they pass out. Whereas a cold or tiny cut initiates an emergency room visit, bed side angst, porridge and layers of bandages. And IV.
    • 49) Chaebol families' interpersonal relationships are all messed up. Their fashion might be the latest trend, but most of them have personality disorders.
    • 50) When it is raining and the ML/ FL is without an umbrella, miraculously an umbrella appears. Usually the second lead being the bearer of the umbrella.
    • 51) If it is school romance, the FL is excessively sweet and dumb. Too dumb to realize the ML is not into her. But she will conquer him with her sweetness and dumbness. I mean kindness.
    • 52) Someone always has to chase a bus with their crush riding on it. Most of the time the chaser fails to stop the bus.
    • 53) You will always sleep with the lights on. You will always drive with the car's interior light on. Lights are only turned off when you're going into a warehouse or abandoned hospital trying to catch the bad guy. Conveniently the CCTV won't be working at the warehouse/hospital either.
    • 54) The FL and ML must go their separate ways before getting a happy ending. They will not have moved on during the separation of 2 years. They reconcile within 2 minutes of seeing each other again.
    • 55) You will always look flawless even if water is thrown in your face, you are standing drenched in the rain or you wake up with a bad hangover.
    • 56) Any mid level in a position of power (even if its a secretary job, or similar level) will be over the top jerky/condescending to anyone who looks poor,new or doing a blue collar job. Especially if it's an undercover job by the person who is wearing the blue collar uniform.
    • 57) Koreans are the world's best drinkers. They will drink to the point of passing out and never suffer a hangover. On those rare occasions where a Korean "claims" they have a hangover, their best friend or ahjumma simply fixes them some seaweed soup and they're fine the rest of the day ... they weren't hungover ... just hungry.
    • 58) When the FL is drunk, the ML appears miraculously by her side and ensures her safety by carrying him on his back. And it is convenient that these FL are never too heavy. What kind of sorcery is this?
    • 59) Parking is always convenient! Right in front of the hospital, restaurant, etc... and they don’t ever get fined.
    • 60) If you wanna know if someone is gossiping about you - go spend some time in toilet !

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/30/2021 at 10:00 AM

20 hours ago, partyon said:

21) The leads ALWAYS knew each other already as kids - ALWAYS !

+1

childhood friends add 50% booster magic to happily ever after endings.

angelina jolie disney GIF

22) A drama isn't complete without the male lead brooding in the shower - not that we mind  - lol

this has to be the 50/50 oppa isn't it.. else, it's Hyena or WWWSK.. but yes, i dun mind if every handsome oppa with abs go down into this shower scene paths!

29) Ramen is the national dish of Korea. You'll be slurping away on ramen in nearly every episode. And you'll compliment how good it is.

*coughs coughs*

screen-shot-2020-02-21-at-15342-pm-15822

cr.: owner

32) When driving, you don't need to look on the road. You speak to the person in the passenger seat and give him/her long gazes while the car just drives itself miraculously. And you never need to check the side mirrors or the back mirror because you're the best driver in the world

autonomous cars my dear.. its autonomous cars! (ok, u can kick me at the +/- thread)

Artificial Intelligence Car GIF by Roborace

42) If you're working in a restaurant or at the fish/fruit market, you'll be an ahjumma with curly permed hair.

flowery clothes and thick layerings too

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

cr.: owner

i din know she passed away until i googled.. so sad :criesariver:

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 5

A sloppy Drunk girl or a girl who wakes up from a drunken night will always keep her hair perfect and her make up will be immaculate.

Sageuk heroines who are Kidnapped ,held captive and imprisoned and tortured also use stylists apparently. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, maribella said:

if they get head injury even if serious enough to cause amnesia, not even a hair is removed nor the hairstyle changed.

This is especially true in daily dramas, no? @Lmangla what do you say? :D

1 hour ago, RobinM said:

I would like to add the Water throwing trope has been dying out for a long time and has now become more of an ironic Joke in the dramas themselves. 

Oh, how I wish it would die out. :D Even this year I've seen it in several dramas. Latest scene was in Doom At Your Service.

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

flowery clothes and thick layerings too

ajumma-starter-guide.jpg

cr. to owner

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

What I learn , if you play candy crush you a hard worker :D

:loolz:

44 minutes ago, rocat said:

If you’re poor, you almost always live in a ramshackled rooftop unit with a splendid view and a private balcony. 

I had this one on our list, but it must have gotten lost when I put together the post. Thanks for spotting that this item was missing from the list :kiss_wink:

29 minutes ago, RobinM said:

A sloppy Drunk girl or a girl who wakes up from a drunken night will always keep her hair perfect and her make up will be immaculate.

Sageuk heroines who are Kidnapped ,held captive and imprisoned and tortured also use stylists apparently. 

Yeah, I really want to know how they always look so flawless.

Normal people after a night out :joy:

drunk-gong-shim.jpg

cr. to owner

ad26947a4f3a6eacfc5e61cd5b1cb67217cce7e5

cr to owner

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 4

39 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Running in the rain...with your crush...watch the video in the link. :lol:.  I never understood how they could keep dry like that.  

cr - hangukk_hearteu Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPLRRWtpQao/?utm_medium=copy_link

I have not noticed earlier but in Miss Monte Cristo, there were two incidences when the actors were soaking wet from a downpour and a dunk in a pool and they were put to bed in those clothes! and I was going no, no, you will wet the bed. They woke up dry in the morning. Same thing in 'Sell your haunted house', Jang Nara was almost drowned in a thick winter coat. After being rescued, she was helped into a car, and I was going no, no, wet car, wet.

My conclusion is that Korean shows are supplied with special quick drying fabrics, beds and cars.

@Ameera Ali and it's easy to tell that the bag is empty too.

• Like 1
  • LOL 13
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

22 hours ago, partyon said:

Your Event Organizers,
@partyon @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl

Ahahahahaha :lol: I was laughing so long and so hard while reading through both lists (even though I didn't know anything about k-drama back in 2006 and only encountered this magical, sometimes non-sensical but still so worthwhile world in 2017) my sister came to my room demanding to know what's so funny which led to both of us laughing our heads off. Bless you girls^^

Your lists are so extensive and so hilarious (because it's all so true^^). I think the wrist grab, which I slowly learned is supposed to be interpreted as a romantic gesture, reminded me of the fist clench (also a romantic gesture, though when I first encountered it in Pride and Prejudice I swear I thought Mr Darcy was angry instead of smitten), and the closed-mouth-lip-press kiss while the female opens her eyes SO wide Bambi would be jealous and you'd think she discovered some sort of new, shocking ice cream flavor instead of experiencing being kissed by the man she supposedly has very deep feelings for^^

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

@nrllee @maribella Talking about being drenched in the rain....

I don't watch sageuks normally. But if there's one thing I have learnt from sageuks, it's that IF there gonna show off the ML's abs, it will be down by the river or the lake.

Spoiler

12116d6a87bc4f829860743d5726f3ed.jpeg?s=

And the girl will be shocked of course - even if the abs are tiny....

Sometimes it's a waterfall 

Spoiler

5.jpg?w=289&h=415

Or a bath house

Spoiler

e6790c6fe0a77bbac301ba5a27263002.jpg

Back in 2006 I believe sageuks had no abs at all...

Hmm... I think I know a little bit too much about abs in k-dramas. :emmm:

@Calli Thanks ! :kiss_wink: We had a fun time putting together the list!

It was surprisingly easy to come up with new tropes for the 2021 edition. Once we started, we couldn't stop. :joy:

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, rocat said:

If you’re poor, you almost always live in a ramshackled rooftop unit with a splendid view and a private balcony. 

It's always a rooftop apartment. I guess people don't like climbing up all those flights of stairs.

My thoughts:

- If you're a CEO, you're often a hot, young CEO,. And even though you have no life/work experience, you still kick all of your senior retainers' butts.

- You don't need a law degree to practise law in South Korea.

- Doctors are almost always cardiac surgeons. As they get older, they get more interested in money and prestige and are less interested in patients. 

- No one has guns in Korea. Gangsters carry knives. It's a thing. 

Has anyone done a list for Sageuks? If so, please tell me. :d

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

i thought i'm the "ugly" character and when i take off my glasses and straightening my hair that will turn every men and they will think i'm the goddess. turn out i'm just the ahjumma with curly permed hair:crybaby:

how about;

- if you are a young pschyo girl who likes to bully your classmate, people still adore because, uh you have twin brother and your dad is freaking rich and a mom who adore you so much

- staying in a rooftop house is so romantic. no worries about cables that run above your house or crazy hot summer

btw, standing still in front of the car or truck that is about to hit you is a common formula for every dramas around the world:joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

Characters with actual serious illness will not go a hospital but will resist efforts to help them till they pass out whereas  a cold or tiny cut initiates an emergency room visit, bed side angst, porridge and layers of bandages.

• Like 2
  • LOL 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 2

Oh my.... :scream:

The list is already completed in my point of view!!! Surprisingly, it's all true. I don't know how you guys come up with these ideas??! B) And this is not really an opinion, I think!

In every K-drama, the male lead has already served in the military and become a full-fledged man to be fallen in love with the leading lady!

I see that happened to Choi Daniel in almost all his dramas. Waiting for his upcoming drama with this list in my mind! ^_^

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 2
  • Blob 2