EVENT: 50 Things You Learn From A Korean Drama (2021 edition)

partyon

EVENT: 50 Things You Learn From A Korean Drama (2021 edition)  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these tropes are true in 2021? (choose as many as you like)

• 1) You're allowed to make u-turns wherever you want in Korea. And there is never traffic on the side you want to u-turn to.
    • 2) Soju must cost 1500 wons. Everyone drinks it every day all the time, especially the poor people.
    • 3) If you're rich, you're a jerk. If you're poor, you're an angel.
    • 4) You're not studying hard enough unless you get a nosebleed.
    • 5) Everyone always goes to the same hospital no matter where they are.
    • 6) If you stand out in the rain for more than five minutes, you'll end up with a fever and vertigo and people will rush you to the hospital to get some magic IV. And instead of taking an ambulance or driving they'll race you on their back.
    • 7) Truck of doom: If you're saving someone from being hit by a truck, you'll push them out of the way and wait for the truck to hit you instead. They're like a deer in headlights.
    • 8) If you're getting off a plane, you're ALWAYS wearing sunglasses. ALWAYS.
    • 9) Girls will always storm off because they're mad and the guy will stoically grab them by the arm and swing them back- and by magic, not dislocate their shoulders.
    • 10) You always get stuck in an elevator with someone who makes you feel uncomfortable. Even if there are six different elevators, you'll be stuck in the same one with that guy you hate.
    • 11) You're in-laws will hate you. Or throw water in your face. Or both.
    • 12) There are only 2 ways to kiss. You either press your lips against theirs with your mouth completely shut, and just press away for a very long and uncomfortable time. OR you devour the other person and suck out their soul.
    • 13) A guy will always get the right size ring, even if you're never held hands.
    • 14) Forget steamy bed scenes. You'll get pregnant just by holding hands or getting a back hug.
    • 15) One man can kick the butts of 6 gangstas. Especially when they all stand in a circle and attack the guy one by one. Then when each of them get their butts OWNED, they wise up and attack the guy at the same time. Then the guy will get pulverized and bleed out onto the dusty concrete floor of the empty warehouse they've found to fight in. There will be a fire in a trashcan somewhere. And the girl will have watched this the entire time, screaming in horror. Instead of calling 119, she'll just watch and cry. But it's okay. Cuz the next day the guy will be fine with a few random bandages and a few face scars. But never a black eye.
    • 16) If you study in the states (preferably Harvard), you are one of the top students and can speak perfect English (as assumed by the reactions of those around you). Why the viewers can't understand a single word uttered out of your mouth is beyond me.
    • 17) If you have a husband, he's probably a cheater. The audience will be shown lots of barf scenes of him cheating. You'll need barf bags.
    • 18) The leads knew each other as kids already. They just don't remember. Until the last episode.
    • 19) A drama isn't complete without the ML brooding in the shower
    • 20) In crime dramas, everyone is randomly killed off (preferably by a serial killer with a brain transplant)
  2. 2. Which of these tropes are true in 2021? (choose as many as you like)

• 21) People always eat at a Subway. Or using a coffee maker, putting on facial cream or offering your colleagues donuts while the camera zooms in on the brand
    • 22) If you're being cheated on, you will throw water in the face of your hubby's mistress. Or you'll slap her. Or you'll grab her by her hair. In any case, the husband will not interfere.
    • 23) If you're not drinking soju, you're drinking iced Americano
    • 24) Ramen is the national dish of Korea. You'll be slurping away on ramen in nearly every episode. And you'll compliment how good it is.
    • 25) You will take out a cigarette but you'll never light it
    • 26) If it's winter, you never look cold even though you're not wearing winter clothes. Even if it's below zero degrees. You're always feeling warm because yeah, you're fashionable.
    • 27) Even if you're poor, you'll have the latest Samsung phone. And the rich guy will have the same model but in a different color.
    • 28) When driving, you don't need to look at the road. You gaze at the passenger while the car just drives itself. And you never need to check the mirrors because you're the best driver in the world. Oh, and no traffic jams ever.
    • 29) Someone in the drama is always a secret chaebol. Usually the ML.
    • 30) The ML is always younger than the FL. Because noonas are in fashion and apparently every man in Korea wants one. And if you're an ahjussi, then you'll prefer a super young woman. An idol actress will be cast in that role
    • 31) The wrist grab…. Nuff said
    • 32) If you're in the elevator, the elevator is the slowest in the world. You can have a 3 minute discussion in the elevator even though the building is only 4 floors in total. This is normal elevator speed in Korea.
    • 33) If you're second ML, you'll never get the girl. The 2nd ML always arrives at the scene late as the ML has already comforted/ rescued the FL.
    • 34) If you're a criminal, you always wear black clothes and a black baseball cap. Because no, you won't look suspicious at all. lol
    • 35) If a guy is a jerk, he is definitely into you. He'll have narcissistic tendencies, but he will just miraculously change for the female lead WITHOUT any kind of therapy. Because you know, the power of love.
    • 36) A taxi immediately appears every time and everywhere as long as you wave your hand and shout "taxi!"
    • 37) If you're working in a restaurant or at the fish/fruit market, you'll be an ahjumma with curly permed hair and floral clothes.
    • 38) If you travel abroad you always want to go to France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany or Spain. If you happen to speak German, French, Italian or Spanish, viewers won't understand a word of it.
    • 39) If you're playing an "ugly" character, taking off your glasses and straightening your hair will turn you into a goddess.
    • 40) If you are having coffee/juice/pizza in a cafe/restaurant, you will never finish them. You won't take a sip or bite of it, and leave the poor thing on table since something urgent always happens.
  3. 3. Which of these tropes are true in 2021? (choose as many as you like)

• 41) You'll always tell someone that the weather is nice. Even though there's a hurricane. Because yeah, you'll think that the rain and wind are refreshing
    • 42) Slaps are more effective in makjang dramas using food - seaweed, kimchi, a pork chop.
    • 43) If you're a police officer or a detective, you won't have common sense. No, all criminals will be smarter than you. The newbie in your squad will puke at the crime scene. You'll be good at fighting, but the criminal will always get away, because they will be better than you at taekwondo. So, you won't catch him until the last episode.
    • 44) You have bangs regardless if you're a man or a woman. Yup, even if you look better showing off your forehead, you'll still want to have outdated whispy bangs if you're a girl and a bowl cut if you're a boy. And this Korean trend will not fade away - it will still be the trend in 10 years. Heck 50 years. We can only dream of forehead oppas.
    • 45) If you get a head injury even if it's serious enough to cause amnesia, your hairstyle will still look the same because all you need is an IV - never a bandage.
    • 46) If you’re poor, you almost always live in a ramshackled rooftop unit with a splendid view and a private balcony.
    • 47) When people move out, they always leave with one suitcase only. And the suitcase will seem empty
    • 48) Characters with actual serious illness will not go a hospital but will resist efforts to help them till they pass out. Whereas a cold or tiny cut initiates an emergency room visit, bed side angst, porridge and layers of bandages. And IV.
    • 49) Chaebol families' interpersonal relationships are all messed up. Their fashion might be the latest trend, but most of them have personality disorders.
    • 50) When it is raining and the ML/ FL is without an umbrella, miraculously an umbrella appears. Usually the second lead being the bearer of the umbrella.
    • 51) If it is school romance, the FL is excessively sweet and dumb. Too dumb to realize the ML is not into her. But she will conquer him with her sweetness and dumbness. I mean kindness.
    • 52) Someone always has to chase a bus with their crush riding on it. Most of the time the chaser fails to stop the bus.
    • 53) You will always sleep with the lights on. You will always drive with the car's interior light on. Lights are only turned off when you're going into a warehouse or abandoned hospital trying to catch the bad guy. Conveniently the CCTV won't be working at the warehouse/hospital either.
    • 54) The FL and ML must go their separate ways before getting a happy ending. They will not have moved on during the separation of 2 years. They reconcile within 2 minutes of seeing each other again.
    • 55) You will always look flawless even if water is thrown in your face, you are standing drenched in the rain or you wake up with a bad hangover.
    • 56) Any mid level in a position of power (even if its a secretary job, or similar level) will be over the top jerky/condescending to anyone who looks poor,new or doing a blue collar job. Especially if it's an undercover job by the person who is wearing the blue collar uniform.
    • 57) Koreans are the world's best drinkers. They will drink to the point of passing out and never suffer a hangover. On those rare occasions where a Korean "claims" they have a hangover, their best friend or ahjumma simply fixes them some seaweed soup and they're fine the rest of the day ... they weren't hungover ... just hungry.
    • 58) When the FL is drunk, the ML appears miraculously by her side and ensures her safety by carrying him on his back. And it is convenient that these FL are never too heavy. What kind of sorcery is this?
    • 59) Parking is always convenient! Right in front of the hospital, restaurant, etc... and they don’t ever get fined.
    • 60) If you wanna know if someone is gossiping about you - go spend some time in toilet !

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/30/2021 at 10:00 AM

51 minutes ago, rukizie said:

your childhood sweetheart might end up being your future husband and IT'S SOLID :D

Not gonna lie, I'm very happy that my childhood sweetheart did NOT wind up being my future husband.

Kdrama childhood sweethearts sure have far better luck than most of us. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

14 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

Please do suggest some K-dramas where the MLs are gentle and romantic!:wub: I am tired of these cold, arrogant, rich jerks who think they can treat the woman any which way.  :angry:

kekekek... you are watching the wrong genre; the gentle and romantic MLs exist but they exist in dramas where the sole focus and end all isn't the romance; take genres like family weekend dramas or daily dramas or revenge dramas or detective dramas or saeguks etc. so many of the rom-coms these days are filled with lazy writing and zero plot. meaning there is nothing really driving the story forward other than bunch of kisses after a certain point. it is why I don't watch many of them. whereas, in other genres, there is so much other stuff happening that romance is just a part of their life/drama. in those dramas, the guys are sweet and often just normal middle class.

so for example, take the family weekend drama "five enough" -- the lead was a great guy; he was a widower with 2 kids and still very much in love with his wife who died suddenly from illness. they are working together and his feelings for her sneak up on him and takes him by surprise. when he does accept it and they start dating, the issue becomes the number of children they have between them. she is a divorcee with 3 kids and he has 2 kids and everyone is screaming that it is not practical these days to raise 5 kids together when people are struggling to raise one on today's expenses. then when they do get married, they have to figure out how to blend their families together. the kids are in elementary school and are embarrassed and confused on how they are supposed to share how this kid is now my stepbrother to their other friends. so their romance has a very different flavour... 

I can give you lots of other examples but mostly I would say - look outside the romcom genre. these days, romcoms are a dreadful bore for the most part anywhere you look. none of the writers can seem to write a believable romance where you are not falling asleep after a while. well at least I am which is why I don't watch many of the trendy dramas.

the reason many of these writers keep using arrogant cold jerks (basically taming of the shrew archetype except with a man) is that there is no conflict to keep the two separate. meaning the only conflict keeping them apart is the conflict of self. now it doesn't mean conflict of self cannot be interesting in themes like insecurity, past baggage, figuring out a sense of identity in terms of job or just life etc.. that said, the cold arrogant jerk can be amusing or interesting if written well. it all depends on the writing as well as the chemistry. 

14 hours ago, partyon said:

Chingu, I am bad at suggesting dramas with gentle and romantic MLs.

But I can suggest what you should DEFINITELY stay away from:

Thai Lakorns

hahahhaa.... again, there are exceptions. my favourite thai rom-com which bucks this trend completely is sood sanae ha. it is hilarious drama and I would highly recommend it to anyone needing a few good laughs. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 4

This was a fun poll!  Thanks EOs!  The one that drives me nutty is #18--the leads knew one another as kids.  This has ruined dramas for me!  I yell at the TV-why can't they be two random people who met?!  Is Korea that small that everyone knows each other?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Funny - when we expand to other Cdrama or Thai dramas. I am Thai so it’s personal that I am sad that most Thai Dramas are 99% still full of bad troupes and haven’t progressed in telling better stories that aren’t about ladies fighting over guys, cheating, rich vs poor, and the token LGBTQ character as a comedic fold — the usual etc. That is why rarely watch them anymore — just maybe one or two good ones that have progressed and are of quality. There have been a few good Thai dramas but it’s still rare. C dramas have progressed but they are tooo long  and sometimes there are political things behind the scenes that drive strange and questionable sidetrack on side characters for no reason lol. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 5

3 hours ago, CarolynH said:

This was a fun poll!  Thanks EOs!  The one that drives me nutty is #18--the leads knew one another as kids.  This has ruined dramas for me!  I yell at the TV-why can't they be two random people who met?!  Is Korea that small that everyone knows each other?

I don't remember any of my classmates from younger grades. even some of those I knew in high school I have forgotten. so yea, for those of us with short term memory, it does seem rather strange. or makes you think "ah we missed the bus then?" :sweatingbullets:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 4

2 hours ago, Yinye said:

I am sad that most Thai Dramas are 99% still full of bad troupes and haven’t progressed in telling better stories that aren’t about ladies fighting over guys, cheating, rich vs poor, and the token LGBTQ character as a comedic fold — the usual etc. That is why rarely watch them anymore — just maybe one or two good ones that have progressed and are of quality. There have been a few good Thai dramas but it’s still rare. C

Chingu, now I for one enjoy watching Thai Lakorns. :kiss_wink: During my k-drama slumps I will compensate by watching Thai, Japanese, TW and c-dramas. This spring I've been watching so many Thai dramas that my sweetie @Lmangla (who enjoys Thai lakorns as well) has been left in disbelief. 

Saturday Night Live Nbc GIF by HULU <- @Lmangla when I am telling her about the latest plot twist

Yup, they do have a lot of tropes but they are different from the k-drama ones, and sometimes variety is what you need. Also, some of the Thai actors are just too hot to handle (I have found two new Thai oppas this spring: Mik Thongraya and Pon Nawasch Phupantachsee) :glasses:

I am now watching Praomook. Why don't you join @gm4queen and me? We would love to see more people on our drama thread. We also fangirl Pon oppa on the add subtract thread - haha 

For people who don't know about Thai lakorns, these are the most common tropes:

REVENGE, slaps, kisses, cheating, REVENGE, mistresses, screaming, scheming, outrageous second leads, bad guys who are impossible to kill, car chases, REVENGE, amnesia.... Did I mention revenge? :D 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

@RobinMThanks for the clarification. I agree these dramas should stop glorifying / 'normalizing the behaviour of these 'alpha' men. It definitely sends the wrong message to the impressionable young minds. There is definitely nothing romantic about these stone cold, arrogant jerks. :crazy:

@agenth Hi! Thanks for the wonderful recs. But, I must confess I started watching 'Extraordinary You' but had to drop it midway. This is unpopular opinion here but I found the FL extremely immature and whiny.  I just couldn't sympathize with her. She was busy wallowing in self pity and it was all about her! Sadly, I didn't like the gentle ML either.  there was so much fangirling over the two , especially the ML that I even gave his next drama, 'Sunbae, Don't Put on That Lipstick' a go. But that was even more annoying than his previous drama. I am inviting a lot of backlash with my unpopular opinion here but having a good looking cast is not enough. We, the audience needs more meat. :angry:

I will give 'Jugglers' and 'Good Doctor' a try. I have heard a lot about The Good Doctor. I always meant to watch Lovestruck in the City' and really liked the premise too but I never got round to actually watching it. Life happened. :crazy:

@Tamakins I agree with you there, chingu. Also, when i do fall, I have no one to catch me in their wonderful strong , masculine arms.  Though, I not not sure how I feel about kissing a random stranger, hot or not.  But you are right, this definitely happens. I clearly remember watching it in 'You Are Beautiful' and 'Coffee Prince'. I am watching these two simultaneously because I have nothing else to watch and 'Bossam: Steal the Fate' takes ages to be subbed.  :tears:

@hanarui I dropped 'True Beauty'. I just couldn't relate to the FL. She was gorgeous. They tried so hard to make her look ugly. TBH, the glasses = ugly, no glasses = beauty just made my hackles rise, so although it had the handsome 'My ID is Gangnam Beauty' ML, I dropped it with a heavy heart. :tears: Why can't we have FL who are comfortable in their skin. Why do we set such unrealistic beauty standards?

@Lmangla I have heard a lot about the drama 5 Enough. But the sheer number of episodes leave me too daunted. I will give it a try. I do watch other genres too. I love the thrillers. Very well made. 'Tunnel', 'Mouse', 'Flower of Evil', 'Beyond Evil' etc were superb, IMHO. Though I must admit, I cannot watch more than half an hour of 'Mouse' at a time. It is extremely disturbing and stressful, not to mention explicit. I am still on Ep9. sigh :crazy:

I think they attempted the conflict with self in 'More than Friends' and 'When I Was the Most Beautiful' and as usual I drooped them midway because the treatment was all wrong. In fact, the ML was the most hateful in spite of his very handsome face in 'More Than Friends', not to mention 'When I Was the Most Beautiful' was a hot mess . :lol:

This is why I find 'My Lovely Sam Soon' worth a mention again for in spite of being a light, fluffy romance, it conveyed some serious message to the young ladies. I also loved how the FL was completely comfortable in her skin and at ease in spite of being 'large', thus not subscribing to the usual norms of beauty in the society.   Or least, do something revolutionary as they did in ''My ID is Gangnam Beauty' by never showing the audience what being 'ugly' meant. Just like beauty is subjective, and lies in the eyes of the beholder, 'ugliness' too is subjective. What I find unattractive might not be attractive in someone else's eyes. Let's just be realistic and portray regular women. Recently, there have been too many dramas with zero plot but a gorgeous star cast. It is a chore to finish these these dramas. :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 4

21 minutes ago, confusedheart326 said:

@agenth Hi! Thanks for the wonderful recs. But, I must confess I started watching 'Extraordinary You' but had to drop it midway. This is unpopular opinion here but I found the FL extremely immature and whiny.  I just couldn't sympathize with her. She was busy wallowing in self pity and it was all about her! Sadly, I didn't like the gentle ML either.  there was so much fangirling over the two , especially the ML that I even gave his next drama, 'Sunbae, Don't Put on That Lipstick' a go. But that was even more annoying than his previous drama. I am inviting a lot of backlash with my unpopular opinion here but having a good looking cast is not enough. We, the audience needs more meat. :angry:

I will give 'Jugglers' and 'Good Doctor' a try. I have heard a lot about The Good Doctor. I always meant to watch Lovestruck in the City' and really liked the premise too but I never got round to actually watching it. Life happened. :crazy:

@hanarui I dropped 'True Beauty'. I just couldn't relate to the FL. She was gorgeous. They tried so hard to make her look ugly. TBH, the glasses = ugly, no glasses = beauty just made my hackles rise, so although it had the handsome 'My ID is Gangnam Beauty' ML, I dropped it with a heavy heart. :tears: Why can't we have FL who are comfortable in their skin. Why do we set such unrealistic beauty standards?

Oh but Lovestruck in the City embodies gentle male lead to the point of other people's frustration LOL. He has a lot of patience with the female lead. I think people should try at least 4 episodes which is in total only 2 hours. I do admit it is a series one has to get used to due to the novel format that is foreign with usual Kdrama. But the good thing is this is a webdrama, so actually perfect for more "mature" audience, and no pregnancy due to handholding, with mature scenes.

It shows the real sides of love in all forms and each episode has a purpose, a very underrated series that gets a lot of hate due to its non-conformity. I especially, besides the leads fiery chemistry, love the interaction between the characters in their witty dialogue enabled through the interview process/chat. However, one shouldn't question how they get to reply to each other TOO MUCH. Also LITC is available on Netflix! Recently it has been dubbed in English, though I prefer Changwook's smooth voice 

:fullofhearts:

As for Jugglers, here you may assume that this is a cold person, but you quickly see that the male lead isn't the typical arrogant, as you can see from his view early on and his interaction with his father figure. Besides the couple gets together early on, and their bickering is CUTE NOT ANNOYING. It's an office romance that I love very much and stumbled upon by accident. This series is also very underrated.

Good Doctor I really like Joo Won's portrayal of someone on the spectrum. This is not a rom-com but portrays his struggles in society and his work, so the primary focus is medical, but there is some romance storyline in the background. 

As for True Beauty, tbh the story is due to the webtoon making the ugly person gets gorgeous storyline. The over the top performances also originate from the webtoon. Despite some questionable scenes, it was ok. I wouldn't say I'm a fan and I FFd some parts, but it wasn't the worst ever. But what I like about TB isn't the romance triangle LOL but the bromance. 

(Also how did they cover up her HUGE PIMPLES with makeup she has smooth skin lol)

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

15 minutes ago, confusedheart326 said:

@Lmangla I have heard a lot about the drama 5 Enough. But the sheer number of episodes leave me too daunted. I will give it a try.

I think it is easier to watch when you watch them as they air or if you are watching as a group like with your family. since we end up spending about 6 months together, the soompi group can often get quite cozy and we get to know each other. at times, even when the drama is a dreadful bore, people start poking at everything and you end up laughing and just reading the posts. you may drop a few episodes here and there but then jump back in when something gets more interesting. so yea, it is a different experience from watching shorter dramas but fun even if the drama is a bore. :D 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 4

Hahaha this was fun:loolz:

You will take out a cigarette but you'll never light it

Still waiting for Seo In Guk to light his ciggie in Doom At Your Service.

31) If you're in a relationship, you must at one point leave and have your lover tearfully come RIGHT before you board the plane (vice versa applies as well. You can be the chaser). 60% of the time you see each other, the other 40% you're roaming around in circles and pass each other about six times, but miraculously never see them.

Loved this one from the old thread. Legit was not a kdrama without that scene.

• LOL 4

@partyon lol I will also say we have beautiful actors and actresses in Thai Lakorn but most of them are not strong actors/actresses. You are also correct re the Revenge troupe. It is an essential thing for Thai Lakorn lol. I prefer Thai films - they have more quality and more creative. 

I actually alternate between K, C, and Jpn dramas and Western shows — then maybe one or two Thai drama shows a year (although I haven’t watched a Thai Lakorn in the past two years). 

• Love 1
  • Blob 3

:heythere:guys!!!

I finally put my vote on the epic event! :D

2 hours ago, partyon said:

I am now watching Praomook. Why don't you join @gm4queen and me? We would love to see more people on our drama thread. We also fangirl Pon oppa on the add subtract thread - haha 

Oh yeah chingu! The more the merrier! :w00t: Too bad we had only one episode this week. In that case K-dramas and Thai Lakorns are same! Argh.. Waiting!!! ^_^

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

11 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

@RobinMThanks for the clarification. I agree these dramas should stop glorifying / 'normalizing the behaviour of these 'alpha' men. It definitely sends the wrong message to the impressionable young minds. There is definitely nothing romantic about these stone cold, arrogant jerks. :crazy:

@Tamakins I agree with you there, chingu. Also, when i do fall, I have no one to catch me in their wonderful strong , masculine arms.  Though, I not not sure how I feel about kissing a random stranger, hot or not.  But you are right, this definitely happens. I clearly remember watching it in 'You Are Beautiful' and 'Coffee Prince'. I am watching these two simultaneously because I have nothing else to watch and 'Bossam: Steal the Fate' takes ages to be subbed.  :tears:

@Lmangla I have heard a lot about the drama 5 Enough. But the sheer number of episodes leave me too daunted. I will give it a try. I do watch other genres too. I love the thrillers. Very well made. 'Tunnel', 'Mouse', 'Flower of Evil', 'Beyond Evil' etc were superb, IMHO. Though I must admit, I cannot watch more than half an hour of 'Mouse' at a time. It is extremely disturbing and stressful, not to mention explicit. I am still on Ep9. sigh :crazy:

I think they attempted the conflict with self in 'More than Friends' and 'When I Was the Most Beautiful' and as usual I drooped them midway because the treatment was all wrong. In fact, the ML was the most hateful in spite of his very handsome face in 'More Than Friends', not to mention 'When I Was the Most Beautiful' was a hot mess . :lol:

This is why I find 'My Lovely Sam Soon' worth a mention again for in spite of being a light, fluffy romance, it conveyed some serious message to the young ladies. I also loved how the FL was completely comfortable in her skin and at ease in spite of being 'large', thus not subscribing to the usual norms of beauty in the society.   Or least, do something revolutionary as they did in ''My ID is Gangnam Beauty' by never showing the audience what being 'ugly' meant. Just like beauty is subjective, and lies in the eyes of the beholder, 'ugliness' too is subjective. What I find unattractive might not be attractive in someone else's eyes. Let's just be realistic and portray regular women. Recently, there have been too many dramas with zero plot but a gorgeous star cast. It is a chore to finish these these dramas. :crazy:

Ello, I like to watch light hearted shows even if it bothers me from time to time. My dramas are my escape from life, lol

So pile on the all cheeseyness, or anything I know would NEVER happen irl.

I agree though with the glasses = ugly, no glasses = beauty.. like seriously. I think I look better with glasses. ahaha, but really it's the same thing with the cdrama Pretty Li Hui Zhen, curly hair made her ugly. It baffles me honestly.

:dead:

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

8 hours ago, RobinM said:

I can’t do Chinese dramas. The heroines usually make want to scream.

same mate. Sometimes i am kinda distracted with every heroine attention that makes me cringing in the end. 

But not all heroines in C-Drama :d 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

18 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

I had to see it because I used to read the webtoon when it was first coming out and I loved it.  I enjoyed the drama and the changes they did.  I kinda expected her to still be pretty without the makeup because that's how they do shows.  They aren't going to use an actual "ugly" person because then people won't watch it.  I do get what you're saying about the glasses thing.  We see it a lot worldwide, for example in the first Princess Diaries.  Gotta have that moment where the girl who prefers her glasses is told to wear contacts. *rolls eyes* Unfortunately the unrealistic beauty standards aren't going anywhere and are likely to get worse as time goes on. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

@partyon

Wow what a hilariously funny list you have here   Yup I have spent endless hours watching kdramas like one possessed.  Now I know what got me hooked onto kdramas lol   whahaha :dizzy: :tounge_xd:  Maybe it’s time for me to reevaluate my brain??  hehe:joy:

thanks 

4bqwhlB.gif

• LOL 2

21 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

My Name Is Kim Sam Soon is a classic! I have watched it several times. :kiss_wink: She was very spunky in the drama and I was happy to see that they at least tried to make Kim Sun Ah look more "normal" (even though, let's face it, she would still be considered slim - at least in Europe and the US :D )

I do have to say that Hyun Bin's character was a little bit prickly because he had a hard time making up his mind, and it did annoy me that he kicked over her bike. lol

In any case, I would hope that k-dramas would start showing a little bit of variety when it comes to actors and actresses. Unfortunately, we're only shown beautiful and very slim people as leads in every drama.
In that sense, I feel like e.g. Japanese dramas are miles ahead, because those tend to have a larger variety of body shapes and faces as leads.

20 hours ago, agenth said:

Oh but Lovestruck in the City embodies gentle male lead to the point of other people's frustration LOL. He has a lot of patience with the female lead. I think people should try at least 4 episodes which is in total only 2 hours. I do admit it is a series one has to get used to due to the novel format that is foreign with usual Kdrama.

Maybe I should try it then? Especially since Ji Chang Wook is my oppa. :heart4:

Good Doctor I really like Joo Won's portrayal of someone on the spectrum. This is not a rom-com but portrays his struggles in society and his work, so the primary focus is medical, but there is some romance storyline in the background.

I loved Good Doctor! :kiss_wink:

20 hours ago, Yinye said:

@partyon lol I will also say we have beautiful actors and actresses in Thai Lakorn but most of them are not strong actors/actresses. You are also correct re the Revenge troupe. It is an essential thing for Thai Lakorn lol. I prefer Thai films - they have more quality and more creative.

Agree, many beautiful actors and actresses. But there are some who are also great at acting. Of the lakorns I've watched this spring, I was quite impressed with the acting of Mik Thongraya, Pon Nawasch oppa (his acting is surprisingly nuanced despite his young age), Pong Nawat, Bee Namthip and Janie Tienphosuwan.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1