Quick Poll: Participating in the Winter Olympics (Beijing - 2022)

confusedheart

Quick Poll: Participating in the Winter Olympics (Beijing - 2022)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. In which of the following sporting events, do you wish to participate? (Choose up to 5)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/2022 at 02:00 PM

Chingus, exciting times are back with the Winter Olympics, 2022! Catch all the action from February 4th to February 20th, 2022. There is a plethora of events to cater to each and everyone's interests.

We EOs are surely excited about the various sporting events and are hoping to hear from your about your favourite sporting event.

In the meantime, also do participate in the Quick Poll and tell us which of the sporting events you'd like to participate in, if you ever got an opportunity. Let's get that adrenalin rushing!

NBC unveils 2022 Beijing Olympics logo - NewscastStudio | Olympic logo,  Beijing olympic logo, Beijing olympics

Here's a real quick sneak peek into the sporting events, for a ready reference.

Let's experience the thrill and the exhiliration again!

Let's celebrate! 

For the Love of the Game | The Walrus

Spoiler

(Please note: All the events are arranged in alphabetical order)

1. ALPINE SKIING 

Spoiler

Olympic Winter Games Alpine Criteria

2. BIATHLON 

Spoiler

Biathlon | Beijing 2022 Olympics - Next Winter Olympic Games

Top things you need to know about the 2021/22 biathlon season

3. BOBSLEIGH

Spoiler

Olympic Champions of „Night Train" 4-Man Bobsleigh team nominated for US  Olympic Hall of Fame

4. CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING 

Spoiler

How to watch Cross Country Skiing at the Winter Olympics 2018: Live stream  all the action online from anywhere | TechRadar

5. CURLING 

Spoiler

Should Curling be an Olympic Sport? – The Day Creek Howl

6. FIGURE SKATING

Spoiler

A Guide to Scoring Figure Skating at the Olympics | Mental Floss

7. FREESTYLE SKIING 

Spoiler

Freestyle Skiing 2018 Olympics: Full Schedule, How to Watch

8. ICE HOCKEY

Spoiler

OLYMPIC ROUNDUP: Women's ice hockey team loses first Olympic game in 20  years – Surrey Now-Leader

9. LUGE

Spoiler

Luge 2018 Olympics: Full Schedule, How to Watch

10. NORDIC COMBINED 

Spoiler

Nordic Combined explained for the Winter Olympics 2018 | Daily Mail Online

Women's Nordic Combined Struggles to Take Off - The New York Times

11. SHORT TRACK SPEED SKATING 

Spoiler

America Needs More Short-Track Speedskating - WSJ

12. SKELETON 

Spoiler

14 Photos That Prove That Skeleton Is The Most Badass Sport At Sochi |  Olympics, Sochi, Olympic lessons

13. SKI JUMPING 

Spoiler

Top things you didn't know about Mani Cooper

14. SNOWBOARD 

Spoiler

All About Big Air, the Newest Olympic Snowboarding Event | SELF

15. SPEED SKATING

Spoiler

Speed skating, Winter Olympics sports activities ranked - Travel Knowledge

" As with all Quick Polls, you only have 36 hours to vote! "

Please feel free to reach out to us, your friendly neighborhood EOs with your suggestions for events, including Quick Polls.

tagging:

Spoiler

@pompyavi @Drama Bowl @singlebilingual  @SilverDawn  @larus @sadthe1st  @gm4queen @Min2206 @4evrkdrama @Wuzetian @MayanEcho @joccu  @twinkle_little_star @BlackLotus1025 @Thong Thin @kokodus  @Ameera Ali  

@msdot @CallieP @syntyche @Nikaa94 @JoannaID @Hohoho @1ouise @scrawford @madmad min @CarolynH @kdramagrandma @Skyline    @Megan @ChibiLy @innayoooos @louie_999 @Lunita @RollyPenny @flashyymalditah @LovelyBirdAndYoo  @ELFlamingo @Rogue85  @sunnynotsunhee @Pyar 

@dolorisbrady  @willenette @rocher22  @africandramalover  @k8telyn @lucia704 @The.Lannister @Chibi8535  @wze2702 @rubyminho @ElectricHearts @BinJinBest   @Piggycloy @SuZy Leoo @Smileforu   @rita96  @Miadee @pretty_JULY @Shining tiara  @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.*  

@tas82 @nina_mitrokhina @Gisell Gisell @Jeannie @Sakurafairy  @hahanzyy   @gtLmh0622 @Jiyuu @Anjalifairy @cafe99   @kittyna  @Edgar Pordwed@samzi85

@Biology Lesson @azureblue7 @Prettysup @Ayame @yoeda @widala @dramafan33  @Joanna Alfson  @JJS's Fan-atics @leeminhosny @morningdew @flutterby06 @kembie @tinatrix236  @inspiredbyshj  @sakurapotter  @SophieH  @Minbongyi   @ktcjdrama  @nrllee  

@UnniSarah @booha   @YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ  @maribella  @pauliza  @princessaves   @valinor500    @anyeze 

@hola2jin   @xoxogkxoxo @debbsthebee @MrEildriz  @airgelaal @NoonaCaana @lebeaucouple  @xylaxyly @charray @usadango @Ms.sunshine 

@pad-hari   @Naty828 @tofumochu @Yinye @BINGO_O   @Firefly @CA C @widala  @JumboQueen  @SophieH  @lexicon   @Areumdaun @extrodinairey   @erfatm @pixie0622

@asiaren   @Alila N  @blackberrypie @SweetLullaby   @belena    @SexyDolceVita @Polka Dot @goshhh @brooksmom @LeftCoastOppa   

@frozentundra  @Gretule  @Rogue85  @louie_999  @Romulan  @ibru @itsmeash @RobinM @rocat   @morganian  @lovehuche   @shadowhawk  @Rumaizah Muhammed   @Hannahmiriam  @Tamakins  @musicalflow.    

@chococarmela @SC2019 @ferily @serenilmauve    @Emily Bett   @Lmangla

@Prettysavage @andy78 @Glam @shinkeru @TheQueenReturns @lilian c @admonike @Maliah @Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr @-JC-   @aimeeyoung  @D27Gjk68    @Sunset @youactlikeicare  @Kdramabae  @youngae @prince1401 @wildcherry @jongkkot @orion00  @Madu Mita  @chickfactor @DrBooger @tiMadam @Andrea Balcazar  @hsmz  @Sky Kang @anjuliet 

@bee_wannabe  @tulip06  @Kris Silva  @Tongtong  @ptp321 @Arkahd @SidTheGuy @the_sweetroad @L A @Chesleigh @hyall  @j9sshi  @nohamahamoud2002  @Gumiho  @AjummaF4 @sgclear    @angela0612  @Kate Llama  @hahanzyy  @juryia

@kimlees    @lduc  @lollipop2018  @czakhareina  @anyeze  @jadore1 @haruhi17  @ssteph  @lila21  @Vivin Camelia    @grrly  @ElleSor  @kiotzo   @Manngo 

@TheaN @wywp  @balletgoddess  @kRoNix  @Lusiana  @vajandi  @Zay❤️   @RollyPenny  @nateko  @Pitchoum  @sugarplum892 

@-Love Blossom-  @2d1n_fan  @0ly40  @AkiChan  @ammu82  @an-naum  @Annykey  @anzomi  @aprilfive  @Asimina Rodousaki @Azi N  @Banshee Dragon  @Blizzardistkaputt  @bunnycotton143  @Burger Bun  @Carolina Baracaldo  @Che Latifah  @cherry47  @Chin Yan  @ChyuuNyuu  @Claire99  @cpjing8  @Defoto  @DontEatMyKimchi  @DreamCatcher2011

@Ela Dee  @Eleve_ag  @Fata Morgana  @Fummagirl  @greezlybee  @Haeun  @Hum4ir4  @Idylla Kaizoku  @illay  @iqna  @irilight  @jewellangela  @juni asat  @Kari Sama  @Kathy  @knkg  @Leeboyoung0112  @leo2020  @libra22  @littleinvisiblenao

@Man-O-Man  @Melo Spear  @mizv  @momosik  @Najwa Fauzay  @Noha Mohamed  @Nermeen نرمين  @Pink_Bubbles4U  @pnaysurfer84  @pocca  @Priyanka Shinde  @Rabbit_Small  @roli  @rrongrrong  @Sleepy Head  @starveri  @sugarcream @Table122000  @u8017  @vintage  @whome  @Zehra Dogan 

@Bleu Winter  @Jessie29

Your favourite friendly, neighbourhood EO team -

re: @partyon @Sleepy Owl @agenth @confusedheart

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 7

• confusedheart changed the title to Quick Poll: Participating in the Winter Olympics (Beijing - 2022)

@confusedheart ~ there are so many winter sports that I didn't know existed!!!! :sweatingbullets: can anyone explain what is curling? it looks like fat weight blob that they push around?????

so I chose bobsleigh only because of the old movie "cool runnings" LOL. has anyone seen it? 

fun fact: the jamaican team is going back after 24 years!

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/jamaicas-bobsled-team-qualifies-for-winter-olympics-for-the-first-time-in-24-years

the other option for me was ice hocky. I have played floor hockey when I was in school and we used to have so much fun. so I figure ice hockey would be just as entertaining. plus, there are some good ice hockey based movies as well. hahahha... does anyone remember the old kids movie "the mighty ducks"?  

my final option is figure skating. I caught it accidentally on tv many years ago and thought it looked beautiful and splendid. ironically, it shows up a lot in science documentary about planetary systems. why? because skating has often been described as pure poetry of physics and it is easier to see concepts like angular momentum, vertical velocity, speed. 

(a minute and half clip explaining physics and skating together; for those who may not know -- Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist and shows up a lot in science related documentaries as a commentator) 

I am more partial to figures pairs skating as well as ice dancing . it is highly romantic movements and the teamwork is incredible. I do watch them  regularly on youtube -- the ISU as well as the olympics channel will update with videos of routines from different competitions. you also have fans show clips from sports channels. 

one of my favourite YT channel is 'on ice perspectives' -- the person does close ups and slow motion of ice skating. it is a great way to experience the technical skill and the beauty behind the movements. 

this is the 'death spiral' by the canadian team 

(less than a minute but oh so beautiful!)

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

can anyone explain what is curling? it looks like fat weight blob that they push around?????

Dying laughing!!!!

:joy:

Omo.

Your description is half-correct! They set it off, then they use brooms (or these days the look like Swiffers) to clean the ice and form a path for the "fat weight blob" i.e. the "stone" to glide smoothly to where they want it to go.

Curling can be brutal, too - you're trying to knock the other team's stone off course. Hehe. It's one of those events that looks very soothing and mesmerizing....but it's pretty in-your-face!

so I chose bobsleigh only because of the old movie "cool runnings" LOL. has anyone seen it? 

Loved that movie! So fun that the Jamaica team is going back.

does anyone remember the old kids movie "the mighty ducks"?

Yes! Loved that movie, too! We may have different tastes in dramas but it sounds like we like the same Hollywood movies. LOL. Did you watch "Miracle"?

~

For me, anything related to downhill skiing and figure skating is tops at the Winter Olympics. The jumps that they do in skiing, and/or the speed and skill they have in doing slalom, are so fun to watch. Figure skating has also been drama-filled since Kristi Yamaguchi and later Tonya Harding.

And who can forget one of the best pairs performances ever:

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Blob 2

When it comes to Olympic games I always prefer the winter games. Summer games are only swimming and rowing but even that is rather a maybe but not must have.
I'm excited for this year and already bought my "olympic passport" since the free TV has terrible and biased commentators while pay TV usual uses former athletes & professional sport reporter tandems. 

My favorites are long distance skiing, anything with a sleight and, of course, figure skating where I prefer pairs and males. 

35 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Your description is half-correct! They set it off, then they use brooms (or these days the look like Swiffers) to clean the ice and form a path for the "fat weight blob" i.e. the "stone" to glide smoothly to where they want it to go.

Curling can be brutal, too - you're trying to knock the other team's stone off course. Hehe. It's one of those events that looks very soothing and mesmerizing....but it's pretty in-your-face!

Curling is the discipline you first stumble into because you are waiting for an other to start. You ask yourself WTF they are doing, apalled. And then you can't stop watching, totally missing the start of the discipline you came for. :flushed:

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

figure skating is so beautiful but seems to be quite cutthroat judging by the past scandals (and docus) :D

just looking out for who could win?

the only skater i really know is yuna kim because she got a lot of CFs and deals, but i don't see her in this video hmm

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

Yes! Loved that movie, too! We may have different tastes in dramas but it sounds like we like the same Hollywood movies. LOL. Did you watch "Miracle"?

~

For me, anything related to downhill skiing and figure skating is tops at the Winter Olympics. The jumps that they do in skiing, and/or the speed and skill they have in doing slalom, are so fun to watch. Figure skating has also been drama-filled since Kristi Yamaguchi and later Tonya Harding.

thanks for the curling explanation. I vaguely remember miracle. it was on some late night and so I pretty much fell asleep and don't remember much LOL....

as for downhill skiing and anything going down the mountain, have a little fear/uneasiness with heights. so watching people hurl themselves down a great height only makes me cringe...

39 minutes ago, Usi said:

Curling is the discipline you first stumble into because you are waiting for an other to start. You ask yourself WTF they are doing, apalled. And then you can't stop watching, totally missing the start of the discipline you came for.

bwahahaha.... sounds like one of those sports that you have no idea why or what you are watching but then you get sucked into it. have done that with random watching of sports channel. :sweatingbullets:

• LOL 6
  • Blob 2

1 minute ago, Lmangla said:

as for downhill skiing and anything going down the mountain, have a little fear/uneasiness with heights. so watching people hurl themselves down a great height only makes me cringe...

Same for me. Especially ski jumping give me the creeps with those children like people falling from heights. :dizzy:

• LOL 9

43 minutes ago, Usi said:

Curling is the discipline you first stumble into because you are waiting for an other to start. You ask yourself WTF they are doing, apalled. And then you can't stop watching, totally missing the start of the discipline you came for. 

Yes! LOL. "Oh, what a boring sport....nothing is happening. Actually, it's quite soothing in fact, because everyone is so quiet. Whoa! They just knocked their opponent's stone off the target! Those people are going down!! Ooohhh, evil! That duo is so cruel! This sport is awesome!!"

Or is that just you and me?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

7 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

we had school skiing trips and i loved them, despite all the cold and sweat :D 

Granted, I never did downhill skiing in a straight line haha, but normal skiing is very fun, though it can be very dangerous if you ski off piste. 

apropos watching kids skiing :D 

Renee Zellweger Ski GIF by Working Title

• LOL 6
  • Blob 2

6 minutes ago, agenth said:

we had school skiing trips and i loved them, despite all the cold and sweat :D 

Granted, I never did downhill skiing in a straight line haha, but normal skiing is very fun, though it can be very dangerous if you ski off piste. 

apropos watching kids skiing :D 

what I know about skiing comes from kdramas. someone always gets hurt or lost in a blizzard. often it is the female lead because she is too stupid to live and refuses to follow directions. so she will fall off the mountain path or something. then, the guy has to go out there and find her and cue some romantic scene except they are more like about to die of hypothermia and get stranded in some cabin.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuW-GHgi_xYS7tIlYSXCS

so in addition to falling from height, it all sounds very dangerous? hahahahhaha..... 

P.S ~ does anyone know what is luge? it looks like giant ice slide in that photo @confusedheart posted -- is it like in a theme park except you are going way too fast and might crack your head? 

• LOL 8

3 minutes ago, agenth said:

I love normal skiing, too. So fun to be up on a white mountain, looking down the paths and seeing all the other skiiers. It was always so colorful, relaxing, cold, and free-ing. I always lost track of time.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 5

Hi, great topic). My favorites are figure skating, biathlon,bobsleigh and cross-country skiing. Ice hockey tournament would be especially interesting as well, since they should proceed without  NHL players. Still haven't seen the schedule, hope I could watch competitions live (at least smth, because we have a 5 hour time difference with Beijing :D

I would be glad  if every athlete in every competition  would stay healthy till the end of the Olimpics)))). My team already has to replace one athlete bcs of covid(((

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

Figure skating is so beautiful.  I’m always at aww watching their high and difficult jump. The only minus thing about watching figure skating is to figure out the points system.  And the unfair points. The fight in men’s is going to be interesting. 

I only chose one sport were I would like participate and it was snowboarding. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

@LmanglaYou are not alone. I discovered a lot about Winter Olympics too and the various events they include. I love figure skating too. Oh so graceful! What poise! What grace!  :love:

@the_sweetroad Oh those two are so graceful! :wub:

@Usi Wow! You have a pass! I wish I could attend these events offline  too.  I can't even maintain my balance, stand  without support. Can't even imagine 'jumping'.  :D

@agenth We went to places that allowed skiing but we were never allowed to do so because our school was scared of accidents that might happen so we made the safer choice and missed out on all the fun. :tears:

@Lmangla I remember watching Tree of Heaven and crying buckets. Another drama would be That winter, the Wind Blows. What's with winter and sad K-dramas?:tears:

30 minutes ago, leo2020 said:

I would be glad  if every athlete in every competition  would stay healthy till the end of the Olimpics)))). My team already has to replace one athlete bcs of covid(((

Thank you. Amen sister. :heartxoxo:

@joccu Yuzuru Hanyu is my favourite figure skater.:love:  Do you have any favourite?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

20 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

@Lmangla I remember watching Tree of Heaven and crying buckets. Another drama would be That winter, the Wind Blows. What's with winter and sad K-dramas?:tears:

the granddaddy of all winter dramas is.. winter sonata!

photo3251.jpg 

this is like boys over flowers adult version. the story makes no sense but you are sucked in. even as you are losing brain cells, you still want to watch the next episode. :lol:

P.S ~ does anyone know what and why there is a game called skeleton? am a little confused by the photo that @confusedheart posted where it looks like the player has some weird helmet. is that part of the game --- must wear dark goth helmet???? it looks like anothe 'lets hurl ourselves down the mountain and hope my head doesn't crack' sport????

for me, the only skeleton (outside the human body) association is he-man villain. does anyone remember the cartoon? though am not sure what that has to do with winter olympics.... 

403.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

@confusedheart  Yuzuzu Hanyu is one of my favorite. he is also my DP.   He always has so beautiful programs.  Then there is Daniel Grassl(italy). I also like Shoma Uno.

ROC has again three teenagers competing in women figure skating. one is 15 and the other two are 17

@Lmangla  this is skeleton

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 3

@Lmangla   Skeleton is so-named as the first metal sleds introduced in 1892 were said to resemble a human skeleton.  The source of the word is debated; some speculating the skeleton-like appearance original sleds, and others an incorrectly anglicized version of the Norwegian word for toboggan, "Kjelke".

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 3