Quick Poll: Makeup - They Tried...

partyon

Quick Poll: Makeup - They Tried....  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the worst makeup? (choose as many as you like)

• Kim Hye Jin (Hwang Jung Eum) - She Was Pretty
    • Chu Min Ha (Ahn Eun Jin) - Hospital Playlist
    • Stepmother (Na Young Hee) - Fated To Love You
    • Jeong Mi Hee (Moon Dong Eun's mother) (Park Ji Ah) - The Glory
    • Lim Joo Kyung (Moon Ga Young) - True Beauty
    • Jin Cho Yeon (Arin) - Alchemy of Souls
    • Mama Jin (Park Eun Hye) - Alchemy of Souls
    • Sung Deok Sun / Sung Soo Yeon (Hyeri) - Reply 1988
    • Lee Seul Bi (Seo Hyun) - Jinxed at First
    • Everyone in kdrama Touch
    • All dramas with the oily skin look
    • Roy Kim (Min Woo Hyuk) - Doctor Cha
    • Kim Ra Ra (Hwang Seok Jung) - She Was Pretty
    • Yoon Gae Hwa (Chae Rim) - Oh! My Lady
    • Yoon Hae Sun (Yoon So Hee) - Heartbeat
    • Someone else / none of the above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/14/2023 at 07:00 PM

Make_up_-They_Tried.jpg?width=1920&heigh

cr. @gm4queen

Korea is normally known for their impeccable skin care routines and makeup. But not always... Aigoo, what about those horrid makeup fails we've seen through the years? :grimace:

1613687521-unnamed-1.jpg

Below is a list of the makeup fails we EOs remember from kdramas. If you wish to nominate someone not on the list, make sure to do so before you vote. :kiss_wink: (Feel free to include makeup fails from cdramas, Thai lakorns, J-dramas as well).

1. Kim Hye Jin (Hwang Jung Eum) - She Was Pretty

"We hear that some people dropped the drama just because of the horrible styling. Ouch!"

Spoiler

Hwang-Jung-Eum-She-Was-Pretty-2122.jpg?w

2. Chu Min Ha (Ahn Eun Jin)  - Hospital Playlist

"Roses are red, violets are blue. We sure hope that's blush, and not a tattoo..."

Spoiler

Ahn-Eun-Jin-Hospital-Playlist-2122.webp?

rxptqjy.jpg?w=640

3. Stepmother (Na Young Hee) - Fated To Love You

"Ya! Did she run out of black eyeliner when applying the wings?"

Spoiler

image.png?width=1084&height=756

4. Jeong Mi Hee (Moon Dong Eun's mother) (Park Ji Ah) - The Glory

"50 shades of red"

Spoiler

image.png

5. Lim Joo Kyung (Moon Ga Young) - True Beauty

"We congratulate the bride and groom on their wedding."

Spoiler

cb0ec3ac53e3e68c99d3e1e48257dbb2.jpg

main-qimg-f1ce69c576c391301367d14540ea90

6. Jin Cho Yeon (Arin) - Alchemy of Souls

"Making your eyes larger by adding the < and > signs"

Spoiler

RDKlE_7f.jpg

7. Mama Jin (Park Eun Hye) - Alchemy of Souls

"With the amount of powers Mama Jin had, you would have thought she would have been able to use magic to create a better makeup look."

Spoiler

eBzyK_2f.jpg

8. Sung Deok Sun / Sung Soo Yeon (Hyeri) - Reply 1988

"When you borrowed your mom's makeup to play with it. And you thought you looked good."

Spoiler

Hyeri-Reply-1988-2122.gif?width=990&heig

Hyeri-Reply-1988-21222.gif?width=990&hei

9. Lee Seul Bi (Seo Hyun) - Jinxed at First

"When you're color blind"

Spoiler

033dfe381f7b30237b38d5491a958be1655e429d

10. Everyone in kdrama Touch

"Life's a party, featuring your face"

Spoiler

do-jin.jpg?x62393

Q7vLYf.jpg

Touch_1.jpg

11. All dramas with the oily skin look :grimace:

"Attire for an oil wrestling match."

Spoiler

Secret-Love-Affair-E9-007.png?resize=764

Secret Love Affair

12. Roy Kim (Min Woo Hyuk) - Doctor Cha

"New nickname: Eyeliner Oppa""

Spoiler

JTBC-Doctor-Cha-Min-WooHyuk.jpg

13. Kim Ra Ra (Hwang Seok Jung) - She Was Pretty

"Femme Fatale: how about trying to land a makeup artist before a rich husband?"

Spoiler

hwang-suk-jung-she-was-pretty-collage.jp

14. Yoon Gae Hwa (Chae Rim) - Oh! My Lady

"Not sure if it's the makeup, the hair, the styling - she looked 10 years older than her age. True story: the actress retired after this drama was over."

Spoiler

MV5BOTBkZjlmYzMtYjFiYS00MjE2LTlkZDYtNGM3

episodes?key=72ede40de1b2&id=54987&width

15. Yoon Hae Sun (Yoon So Hee) - Heartbeat

"Ah, I think you better call... The Ghostbusters!"

Spoiler

heartbeat34_11.jpg?width=1618&height=910

64a425a84059495a00c8a1fb_upload_16884800

Which are your favorite makeup fails? Vote in the poll and as always, feel free to post in this thread. :dorakiss:

hero-image.fill.size_1200x1200.v16142684

Rough night marathoning kdramas?

Thank you to @gm4queen for the funny event banner. :kiss_wink:

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @Sleepy Owl @agenth @confusedheart

tagging:

Spoiler

@MayanEcho  @joccu  @Thong Thin  @kokodus  @Ameera Ali  @superspace  @000231846597  @Wuzetian  @4evrkdrama  @Min2206  @gm4queen  @sadthe1st  @Learry  @larus  @SilverDawn  @singlebilingual  @pompyavi 

@SuZy Leoo  @Shining tiara  @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.*  @willenette  @rocher22  @africandramalover  @Pyar  @rogue  @LovelyBirdAndYoo  @RollyPenny  @Megan  @kdramagrandma  @msdot  @CallieP  @syntyche  @Nikaa  @JoannaID  @scrawford  @madmad min  @CarolynH

@tas82  @Gisell Gisell  @Jeannie  @Sakurafairy  @gtLmh0622  @Jiyuu  @kittyna 

@UnniSarah  @booha  @YongZura⁷  @maribella  @pauliza  @valinor500  @flutterby06  @kembie  @tinatrix236  @inspiredbyshj  @sakurapotter  @SophieH  @nrllee  @ktcjdrama  @Biology Lesson

@azureblue7  @Prettysup  @Ayame  @yoeda  @dramafan33  @Joanna Alfson  @morningdew 

@hola2jin  @airgelaal  @lebeaucouple  @xylaxyly  @usadango 

@pad-hari  @Naty828  @tofumochu  @Yinye  @Firefly  @SophieH 

@asiaren  @blackberrypie  @SexyDolceVita  @goshhh  @brooksmom  @LeftCoastOppa

@frozentundra  @rogue  @ibru  @itsmeash  @rocat  @Tamakins  @Hannahmiriam  @Rumaizah Muhammed 

@liyahsbutterfly @SC2019  @ferily  @serenilmauve  @Lmangla 

@Lu099  @andy78  @TheQueenReturns  @lilian c  @-jadecloud-  @D27Gjk68  @Sunset  @youactlikeicare  @Kdramabae  @youngae  @chickfactor  @DrBooger  @tiMadam  @hsmz 

@tulip06  @Kris Silva  @Tongtong  @ptp321  @Dhakra  @sweetroad  @hyall  @nohamahamoud2002  @Gumiho  @angela0612  @Kate Llama 

@kimlees  @lduc  @anyeze  @jadore1  @haruhi17  @lila21  @grrly  @ElleSor  @kiotzo 

@TheaN  @wywp  @balletgoddess  @Lusianaaolivary  @RollyPenny  @nateko  @Pitchoum  @sugarplum892 

@leo2020  @knkg @Kathy  @Kari Sama  @irilight  @illay  @Haeun  @Fata Morgana  @DreamCatcher2011  @cherry47  @bunnycotton143  @aprilfive  @anzomi  @Annykey  @an-naum  @ammu82  @AkiChan  @0ly40  @-Love Blossom-   

@CupcakeEonni  @Auntie Mame  @Yazusa    @cikqueen   

@SleepyKitty  @marrez1  @suga02pearl    @fieza1871  @Tuiwgn  @lilyphenix  @omiki  

@breakmyheart  @Rollito Deprimavera  @Pinkypoo  @ilovenico @Jcanqueen12 @Newbie21SG @Helena  @caterpillar59

@whome  @u8017  @vintage  @Table122000  @sugarcream  @roli  @Rabbit_Small  @pocca  @Nermeen نرمين   @Man-O-Man  

@mirimiri  @byeolie  @Angelfish  @Lindyloo421  @yamiyugi     

All image/gif credits go to their respective owners

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

Hee hee. This is brilliant. Sometimes makeup is (unintentionally) a character of its own. :D It always feels cartoon-y when shows have villains in gaudy makeup to highlight that they're bad, like the stepmom in Fated to Love You. 

Dr. Roy - Eyeliner Oppa - the eyeliner was very distracting. :blink:

A favorite makeup meme: Drawing angry eyebrows on a baby is always a good idea. :joy:

55d3dfb7ccc08cb8c3112bbdbe56f98c--funny-memes-funny-pics.jpg

• LOL 9

These are really atrocious Make-ups, so beware looking at them at night time as they might give you nightmares. Especially the true beauty one looks over the top but then again that one is based on a WEBTOON so it’s accentuated.

Does anyone know a makeup artist focused drama ?

15 minutes ago, sweetroad said:

stepmom in Fated to Love You. 

omg that was the worst makeup.

the orange hair. All messy. 

the lipstick…

but worst of all the deliberate weird teeth when she spoke…

• LOL 5
  • Blob 1

23 minutes ago, agenth said:

Does anyone know a makeup artist focused drama ?

To my understanding Touch (which is featured in the poll) is focused on makeup artists.

https://mydramalist.com/39743-touch

" A popular make-up artist, known for his never-ending quest for perfection, Cha Jung Hyeok was at the top of his game. But destiny, it seemed, wouldn’t let him stay there for long. Now unemployed and drowning in debt, Jung Hyeok is desperate to find a way out of this most miserable of slumps; but he’s not the only one."

40639_59503_4752.jpg

Since the makeup is horrible (judging from the stills), maybe that's why he is unemployed?

severus-snape-just-sayin-9860h93j49vxwg0

• LOL 9

On 7/8/2023 at 12:47 AM, partyon said:

1. Kim Hye Jin (Hwang Jung Eum) - She Was Pretty

"We hear that some people dropped the drama just because of the horrible styling. Ouch!"

yup, that was me! I didn't even check it out because I thought the styling was dumb look and wasn't interested. 

red cheeks hardly makes people unattractive. have seen plenty who are seen as highly attractive. also, curly fritzy hair also does not make people unattractive. have seen plenty who carry their curls with lots of confident attitude and oomph.

so the drama's styling and underlying message annoyed me. :expressionless:

Rain Lily Edits

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

23 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

yup, that was me! I didn't even check it out because I thought the styling was dumb look and wasn't interested. 

The synopsis sounded dumb and her styling was not stellar in my opinion. So didn't watch one minute of the drama even though it featured Siwon. And I heard he did great in that drama too. :bawling:

3 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Hee hee. This is brilliant. Sometimes makeup is (unintentionally) a character of its own.

Honestly I thought there would be more horrible makeup in kdramas, but only found 15 examples. I am sure that we're missing some! :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

:waves: guys!

Thank you so much @partyon unnie for tagging me as usual. What a funny banner and what a funny event!!! Ha ha ha... :joy: I've only watched Fated To Love You of all the dramas listed in the poll. But laughing off so hard reading other chingus' comments!!! :loolz:

Seriously, I've got nothing else to say.. :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

*** Female characters in K-dramas are always famous for their pretty make-up looks. But, when opposite happen, it’s usually for me funny to watch. There have been a fair share of them, though, but they are usually unforgettable. Will I watch if an actress looks ugly in the drama? Yes, because I watch dramas mainly and because of my oppas and not them, anyway. Of course, it’s better for actresses to look pretty.  :heart2:

Hwang Jung Eum’s in “She Was Pretty” is indeed unforgettable. She had this “ugly duckling” visual in the drama with strange makeup, curly hair (shocking hairstyle) and freckles. She then decides to give herself a makeover but ends up making the whole company shocked because she goes way overboard with her makeup. She looked that bad. So, I can only focus to her acting & clothing in the drama while watching the dram. I was also curious about whether or not she wore a wig on the show but, I found out it’s her real hair.  :heart1:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Blob 3

The mother in the Glory was an absolute nightmare, her makeup, I am sure, deliberately ghastly. So it seems unfair to rate it tge worst. She does not have a chance to look good. :D The two women in Alchemy of souls are probably meant to look other worldly with their stapled eyes :lol:. But the shiny look ! Eeuuw. I didn't watch Touch, what's that all about? Poison ivy goes to Korea. 

• LOL 7

not make up but every time I see supposedly ugly/nerdy/boring characters in glasses, I roll my eyes. why, why, why? about 50% of the population or more in any country wear glasses. do people even realize how expensive some of those frames are, especially the branded ones???? mostly, the weird styling has to do with choosing a pair of glasses not suited to the face shape or personality. why not do PPL with some brand and pick a nice frame that suits the actor/actress face? no, they just want to play up some stereotypes. UGH.

ugh gifs Page 77 | WiffleGif

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

LMAO, never, ever, make your HMUA angry! Just saying, LOL, cos you don't wanna make others think you're a slob or that weirdo your parents warned you to avoid at all cost.

Ma skin crawled with that oily looking actress. :grimace:

• LOL 5
  • Blob 1

9 hours ago, Lmangla said:

not make up but every time I see supposedly ugly/nerdy/boring characters in glasses, I roll my eyes. why, why, why? about 50% of the population or more in any country wear glasses. do people even realize how expensive some of those frames are, especially the branded ones???? mostly, the weird styling has to do with choosing a pair of glasses not suited to the face shape or personality. why not do PPL with some brand and pick a nice frame that suits the actor/actress face? no, they just want to play up some stereotypes. UGH.

ugh gifs Page 77 | WiffleGif

@Lmangla  hahaha - there are actors who are willing to sacrifice that kind of beauty for their roles.  :kitty:

• LOL 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

12 hours ago, Lmangla said:

Do you by any chance wear glasses @Lmangla:D

I do, but I am nerdy, I admit it. 

• LOL 6

23 hours ago, gm4queen said:

I've only watched Fated To Love You of all the dramas listed in the poll.

I've watched 7 of the dramas listed. @gm4queen dongsaeng, we need you to start watching more kdramas - not just the ones with your oppa. :kiss_wink:

23 hours ago, willenette said:

She had this “ugly duckling” visual in the drama with strange makeup, curly hair (shocking hairstyle) and freckles

Why are they always insinuating that freckles would be somehow ugly? :smashes:Like glasses @maribella @Lmangla?

Freckles are adorable! For example:

Emma Watson

Freckles-Emma-W_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuq

Lucy Liu

MV5BMTM2NDcyNTYwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA0

Gisele Bundchen

44fa6bb40c3dfb120ef895cd0773531e.jpg

20 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

When I think of kdrama Make-up :D

Oppa really took it to the next level with the BB cream in Zombie Detective.

ZD0102_8.jpg?width=1618&height=910

Even he was surprised how well it concealed his zombie features. :D

zombie-detective.gif?resize=654,368&ssl=

18 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Ma skin crawled with that oily looking actress. :grimace:

Chingu, back in 2013-2014 EVERYONE had that oily skin look in kdramas. :grimace:

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

30 minutes ago, partyon said:

Why are they always insinuating that freckles would be somehow ugly? :smashes:Like glasses @maribella @Lmangla?

Freckles are adorable! For example:

I have never had freckles but now with a lot of sunspots or age spots, I can't tell the difference. 

Given the choice, would those celebrities choose a spotty face? I think not. Sorry @partyon neither glasses not face spots are my choice. Just living with it.:pensive:

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 2

11 minutes ago, maribella said:

Given the choice, would those celebrities choose a spotty face?

Chinguya, for people in my part of the world, freckles are considered very cute. Many people actually want freckles because it makes you look more unique. :glasses:

Who knows if Lucy Liu or Gisele Bundchen would have been as successful without their freckles.

As for sun spots, those can be more bothersome because they can grow quite big. Fortunately there are whitening creams for them - that actually work.

I heard from friends that this one is good:

Spoiler

rsz_1du_melascreen_anti-spots-concentrat

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 3