Quick Poll - A K-Drama Addict's Guide to Popular Korean Words and Phrases!

confusedheart

Quick Poll - A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know? (Choose as many as you want)

• Aigoo (아이고) - Oh dear! what a pity! Poor you! / Omo (어머) - Oh my God (an exclamation of surprise) / Omona (어머나) - Oh no!
    • Ahjumma (아줌마) - A middle aged woman / Ahjussi (아저씨) - A middle aged man
    • Andwae (안돼) - No way! Not a chance!
    • Aniyo (아니요) - No
    • Annyeong (안녕) / Annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요) - Hello
    • Appa (아빠 ) - Dad / Oemma (엄마) - Mom
    • Arasseo (알았어) - Got it, Understood
    • Baegopeuda (배고프다!) - I'm hungry
    • Bi kyeo (비켜) - Move (out of my way)
    • Bo-go-ship-puh (보고 싶어) - I miss you
    • Chingu (친구) - Friend
    • Chukahae (축하해) - Congratulations!
    • Daebak (대박) - Great!
    • Dongsaeng (동생) - A younger sibling / Hyung (형) - What a male calls an older male
    • Eotteoke (어떻게 ) - What to do ?!!?
    • Gaja! (가자) - Let's go!
    • Gajima (가지마) - Don't go!
    • Gamsahabnida (감사합니다) / Gomawo (고마워요) – Thank you
    • Geurae (그래) - Sure / Alright
    • None of the above. Anything else. Please comment.
  2. 2. A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know? (Choose as many as you want)

• Gwenchana? (괜찮아) - Are You Okay?
    • Hajima (하지마) - Don't do it; Stop it
    • Halmeoni (할머니) - Grandmother / Harabeoji (할아버지) - Grandfather / Samchon (삼촌) - Uncle
    • Heol (헐) - Huh? No way!
    • Hokshi (혹시) - By any chance
    • Hwaiting (화이팅) / Aja (아자) - Fighting!
    • Ireoke (이렇게) - Like this
    • Jal-ja (잘 자) - Sleep well
    • Jamkkanman (잠깐만 - Wait a second! Hold up!
    • Je-bal (제발) - Please
    • Jeogiyo (저기요) - Excuse me
    • Jeongmal (정말) / Jinjja (진짜) - Really
    • Jo-ahae (좋아해) - I like you
    • Jugeullae ? (죽을래) - Do you want to die?
    • Kol (콜) - Deal
    • Makjang (막장) - Over the top K-drama
    • Mi-ahn-hae (미안해) - I’m sorry
    • Micheosseo (미쳤어) - Are you crazy?
    • Mollayo (몰라요) - I don’t know
  3. 3. A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know? (Choose as many as you want)

• Mwo (뭐) - What? / Mwo ra go? (뭐라구) - What did you say?
    • Namja (남자) - Man / Namjachingu (남자친구) - Boyfriend
    • Noona (누나) - What a male calls an older female / Oppa (오빠) - An older brother to a younger woman / Unni (언니) - An older sister to a younger woman
    • Pali pali (빨리빨리) - Hurry up / Quickly
    • Sa-rang-hae (사랑해) - I love you
    • Sesange? (세상에) - What In the World!?
    • Sunbae (선배) - Senior
    • Wae (왜)- What? / Wae Geu Rae? (왜그래) - What’s wrong?
    • Ya! (야)- Hey!
    • Yaksu (약속)- Promise
    • Yeoboseyo (여보세요) - Hello! (over the phone)
    • Yeoja (여자) - Woman / Yeojachingu (여자친구) - Girlfriend
    • Yeppeuda (예쁘다) - Pretty
    • Yeobo (여보) - Honey / Darling
    • Eodiga (어디가) - Where are you going?
    • Babo (바보 ) - fool
    • Blank - accepting options from members (3)
    • Blank - accepting options from members (4)
    • Blank - accepting options from members (5)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/18/2023 at 12:36 AM

Quick Poll - A K-Drama Addict's Guide to Popular Korean Words and Phrases!

A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know?

40 Korean Words, Phrases K-Drama Fans Should Know - WhatALife!

Let's admit it. We love K-dramas. We are addicted to them. We wouldn't be here otherwise. And after watching innumerable K-dramas, we now consider ourselves to be quite an expert.  Over the years, we have definitely picked up some catch phrases. In fact, some of our are so enamoured that we, the non speakers, often pepper our conversations with few Korean words here and there. I am certainly guilty of doing so. 

Saranghe=love, second word kdrama fans learn -"bichaso?" =are you crazy?  lol | Shinee, Vixx, Astro

A special shout-out to chingu @partyon for helping me with the words. She explained the subtle nuances of certain similar words and she went out of her way to get me the Hangul spellings. Thank you for everything. :kisslevel: I get by with a whole lot of help from my friends in the EO Team. :fullofhearts:

This one's for @partyon. :wub:

Spoiler

So, without further ado, let's check how many words we don't need the subtitles for. Do let us know if you find yourself using Korean words and phrases in your conversations quite unconsciously. :hypehype:

Don't worry, if you didn't find your favorite word in the lists.  :coolshades:

Korean GIF | Gfycat

Suggest them and they can be included. Please do so before voting (as you will not be able to vote twice). :cries:

So how many did you get right? Here is your guide:

Number-counting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Rookie - You know 1-15 words  :eats2:

You have recently discovered K-dramas and are already addicted to them. You saranghae your oppa and noona but that's about it for the time being. You are binge-watching K-dramas and picking up few Korean words here and there. 

Spoiler

k-drama meme Images • Nancy Jennifer (@chimjimin) on ShareChat

• Intermediate - You know 16-30 words :happy2:

You have been watching K-dramas for a while now, and inadvertently started to use words like omo or jinjja in every day convos. Much to the dismay of your non-kdrama friends who have no idea why you're using weird words.

Spoiler

• Expert - Wow! You know 31-45 words :piggydance:

You have many years of kdramas under your belt. You are already able to watch dramas when they come out as RAW versions, while you wait for subs. You can already understand the context of your oppa's conversation in the latest episode. At least you can say "Oppa, Saranghae ! <3" if you ever get to see your bias IRL.

Spoiler

Pin by Nina Beuron on Drama | Kdrama funny, Drama memes, Kdrama memes

• Immortal Legend - You know 46-60 words :glasses:

RAW episodes - child's play! You may have already started studying Korean on your free time and your RL friends have given up on the fact that you will grow out of your kdrama phase. You want to be able to talk to your Ultimate Korean Oppa when you finally meet him!:Pandabulous:

Spoiler

Cries In Korean Movie Subtitles Meme" Kids T-Shirt for Sale by Soursoul99 |  Redbubble

Please feel free to reach out to us, your friendly neighborhood EO team,  with your suggestions for events, including Quick Polls.

re: Your favourite friendly, neighbourhood EO team :

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl 

All gif / image credits go to their respective owners.

tagging our chingus :happydance:

Spoiler

@MayanEcho  @joccu  @Thong Thin  @kokodus  @Ameera Ali  @superspace  @000231846597  @Wuzetian  @4evrkdrama  @Min2206  @gm4queen  @sadthe1st  @Learry  @larus  @SilverDawn  @singlebilingual  @pompyavi 

@SuZy Leoo  @Shining tiara  @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.*  @willenette  @rocher22  @africandramalover  @Pyar  @rogue  @LovelyBirdAndYoo  @RollyPenny  @Megan  @kdramagrandma  @msdot  @CallieP  @syntyche  @Nikaa  @JoannaID  @scrawford  @madmad min  @CarolynH

@tas82  @Gisell Gisell  @Jeannie  @Sakurafairy  @gtLmh0622  @Jiyuu  @kittyna 

@UnniSarah  @booha  @YongZura⁷  @maribella  @pauliza  @valinor500  @flutterby06  @kembie  @tinatrix236  @inspiredbyshj  @sakurapotter  @SophieH  @nrllee  @ktcjdrama  @Biology Lesson

@azureblue7  @Prettysup  @Ayame  @yoeda  @dramafan33  @Joanna Alfson  @morningdew 

@hola2jin  @airgelaal  @lebeaucouple  @xylaxyly  @usadango 

@pad-hari  @Naty828  @tofumochu  @Yinye  @Firefly  @SophieH 

@asiaren  @blackberrypie  @SexyDolceVita  @goshhh  @brooksmom  @LeftCoastOppa

@frozentundra  @rogue  @ibru  @itsmeash  @rocat  @Tamakins  @Hannahmiriam  @Rumaizah Muhammed 

@liyahsbutterfly @SC2019  @ferily  @serenilmauve  @Lmangla 

@Lu099  @andy78  @TheQueenReturns  @lilian c  @-jadecloud-  @D27Gjk68  @Sunset  @youactlikeicare  @Kdramabae  @youngae  @chickfactor  @DrBooger  @tiMadam  @hsmz 

@tulip06  @Kris Silva  @Tongtong  @ptp321  @Dhakra  @sweetroad  @hyall  @nohamahamoud2002  @Gumiho  @angela0612  @Kate Llama 

@kimlees  @lduc  @anyeze  @jadore1  @haruhi17  @lila21  @grrly  @ElleSor  @kiotzo 

@TheaN  @wywp  @balletgoddess  @Lusianaaolivary  @RollyPenny  @nateko  @Pitchoum  @sugarplum892 

@leo2020  @knkg @Kathy  @Kari Sama  @irilight  @illay  @Haeun  @Fata Morgana  @DreamCatcher2011  @cherry47  @bunnycotton143  @aprilfive  @anzomi  @Annykey  @an-naum  @ammu82  @AkiChan  @0ly40  @-Love Blossom-   

@CupcakeEonni  @Auntie Mame  @Yazusa    @cikqueen   

@SleepyKitty  @marrez1  @suga02pearl    @fieza1871  @Tuiwgn  @lilyphenix  @omiki  

@breakmyheart  @Rollito Deprimavera  @Pinkypoo  @ilovenico @Jcanqueen12 @Newbie21SG @Helena  @caterpillar59

@whome  @u8017  @vintage  @Table122000  @sugarcream  @roli  @Rabbit_Small  @pocca  @Nermeen نرمين   @Man-O-Man  

@mirimiri  @byeolie  @Angelfish  @Lindyloo421  @yamiyugi     

• Like 7
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, Wuzetian said:

There's this word I learned from Master's Sun, no idea how to spell it correctly but something like this : Gojo = Get lost! 

I am not sure. Perhaps @partyon can help us. 

51 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

me thinking I ‘m  Immortal Legend - I  know 46-60 words:D

Chingu, you are the Immortal Legend when it comes to limitless stock of ab gifs. You can easily boast a stock of 60+ abs gifs. In fact, I bet that that you can probably identify the actor from his abs. All hail the Queen of abs gifs!

@Ameera Ali after reading this:

All Hail The Queen GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Wuzetian said:

There's this word I learned from Master's Sun, no idea how to spell it correctly but something like this : Gojo = Get lost! 

don't know the romanisation of it, but it's kind of pronounced like "ggeojo" 

• Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 10

7 minutes ago, agenth said:

don't know the romanisation of it, but it's kind of pronounced like "ggeojo" 

Korean spelling is quite different,  with a lot of vowels.  For example I have seen father spelt 'aboeji' but it sounds ah-bou-gee  to me. So 'go away' sounds 'go -jaw' :smile:

I am a rookie although I do know a few.

oppa, noona, ajumma, tong seng, emoh ( haven't seen its spelling), hulmoni, ararbooji, omma, appa, ajusshi, sum choon.

I am quite good with relations in Korean.:lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

5 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

@confusedheart seriously with my years on daily kdrama , I think I understand meaning of yelling in Korean :D ( wink @Lmangla , @joccu @LeftCoastOppa @Thong Thin @sadthe1st)  

That's why as the GIF for Immortal Legends suggests- * cries in Korean 

cries in Korean] - Baby Yoda looking at you | Make a Meme

7 minutes ago, maribella said:

I learnt Samchon from watching My Lovely Kim Sam Soon. But I agree, it was easier to pick up appa and oemma. I think these are kind of universal. All languages have similar sounding words for mom and dad. 

Harabeoji  from Love Marriage and Divorce. That ghost grandfather taught me the word. :grimace: That's the silver lining I guess. Otherwise the drama was terible!

• LOL 11
  • Blob 2

26 minutes ago, maribella said:

Must be because you watch all the daily dramas that have crazy familial epic twists and turns going on. :joy: I could only do Vengeance of the Bride and that was it.

On 6/11/2023 at 4:38 PM, confusedheart said:

Over the years, we have definitely picked up some catch phrases.

These are the things I say all the time now:

Chingu

Aish

Omo!

Gaja!

Gomayo

Hwaiting!

And Odi ga? (Where are you going? :lol:)

Funny thing is hubby has had to passively receive so many kdramas through osmosis (he's just in the room while I'm watching) that he says Aish! all the time now.

• Like 1
  • LOL 13

48 minutes ago, larus said:

I`ve watched kdramas for ten years now but I still don`t understand the language. :crazy: I recognized 30 words. Cool! But I still don`t know much.

you need your own dictionary  :D

if word Ahjumma  was someone  in dictionary :tounge_wink:

IMG-9231.gif

• LOL 14

2 hours ago, maribella said:

Korean spelling is quite different,  with a lot of vowels.  For example I have seen father spelt 'aboeji' but it sounds ah-bou-gee  to me.

The Korean alphabet (hangul) has 19 consonants and 10 vowels. On top of that there are 11 "complex" letters which are basically combinations of the vowels. So 40 letters in total. :glasses:

Of the complex letters like 3 of them are pronounced more or less as "wae" (, ㅞ, ㅙ ) Why they need 3 letters for the same sound beats me.

IUH.gif

The same goes for the complex letters pronounced as "ae" (and ㅔ) and the letters pronounced as "yae" (and ㅖ).

Some of the vowels have sounds that aren't typical in English and therefore the romanization isn't always so easy. That's why you see many different ways of writing the same word.

Sometimes the romanization is way off compared to how it's actually pronounced in Korean. Take the surname "Lee" for example. It's not pronounced with an L in Korean - it's just pronounced "ee" (spelled as ).

1 hour ago, sweetroad said:

And Odi ga? (Where are you going? :lol:)

Good one! I added it to the poll. :kiss_wink:

Your Event Organizer,

파티언 (aka partyon)

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

4 minutes ago, sweetroad said:

고마워요!

아니에요

FgjOWxhEn.gif

Koreans really don't use "You're welcome". It's just "aniaeyo" (which literally means "it's not").

3 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

thanks to reading plenty of manhwas and having previously dated a Korean.

Omo! You dated a Korean oppa?!??!!?

aww-omo.gif

Is it someone we know? Maybe one of these oppas?

part+2.jpg

• LOL 11

6 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

LOL, I doubt, but he kinda looked like the guy in blue. ^_^

Omo! So he is handsome !!!! OMO! Did he have abs??? :yaaa:

Guess which EO this is: 에쩬드

(hint: likes the Truck of Doom) :joy:

• LOL 12