Quick Poll - A K-Drama Addict's Guide to Popular Korean Words and Phrases!

confusedheart

Quick Poll - A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know? (Choose as many as you want)

• Aigoo (아이고) - Oh dear! what a pity! Poor you! / Omo (어머) - Oh my God (an exclamation of surprise) / Omona (어머나) - Oh no!
    • Ahjumma (아줌마) - A middle aged woman / Ahjussi (아저씨) - A middle aged man
    • Andwae (안돼) - No way! Not a chance!
    • Aniyo (아니요) - No
    • Annyeong (안녕) / Annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요) - Hello
    • Appa (아빠 ) - Dad / Oemma (엄마) - Mom
    • Arasseo (알았어) - Got it, Understood
    • Baegopeuda (배고프다!) - I'm hungry
    • Bi kyeo (비켜) - Move (out of my way)
    • Bo-go-ship-puh (보고 싶어) - I miss you
    • Chingu (친구) - Friend
    • Chukahae (축하해) - Congratulations!
    • Daebak (대박) - Great!
    • Dongsaeng (동생) - A younger sibling / Hyung (형) - What a male calls an older male
    • Eotteoke (어떻게 ) - What to do ?!!?
    • Gaja! (가자) - Let's go!
    • Gajima (가지마) - Don't go!
    • Gamsahabnida (감사합니다) / Gomawo (고마워요) – Thank you
    • Geurae (그래) - Sure / Alright
    • None of the above. Anything else. Please comment.
  2. 2. A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know? (Choose as many as you want)

• Gwenchana? (괜찮아) - Are You Okay?
    • Hajima (하지마) - Don't do it; Stop it
    • Halmeoni (할머니) - Grandmother / Harabeoji (할아버지) - Grandfather / Samchon (삼촌) - Uncle
    • Heol (헐) - Huh? No way!
    • Hokshi (혹시) - By any chance
    • Hwaiting (화이팅) / Aja (아자) - Fighting!
    • Ireoke (이렇게) - Like this
    • Jal-ja (잘 자) - Sleep well
    • Jamkkanman (잠깐만 - Wait a second! Hold up!
    • Je-bal (제발) - Please
    • Jeogiyo (저기요) - Excuse me
    • Jeongmal (정말) / Jinjja (진짜) - Really
    • Jo-ahae (좋아해) - I like you
    • Jugeullae ? (죽을래) - Do you want to die?
    • Kol (콜) - Deal
    • Makjang (막장) - Over the top K-drama
    • Mi-ahn-hae (미안해) - I’m sorry
    • Micheosseo (미쳤어) - Are you crazy?
    • Mollayo (몰라요) - I don’t know
  3. 3. A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know? (Choose as many as you want)

• Mwo (뭐) - What? / Mwo ra go? (뭐라구) - What did you say?
    • Namja (남자) - Man / Namjachingu (남자친구) - Boyfriend
    • Noona (누나) - What a male calls an older female / Oppa (오빠) - An older brother to a younger woman / Unni (언니) - An older sister to a younger woman
    • Pali pali (빨리빨리) - Hurry up / Quickly
    • Sa-rang-hae (사랑해) - I love you
    • Sesange? (세상에) - What In the World!?
    • Sunbae (선배) - Senior
    • Wae (왜)- What? / Wae Geu Rae? (왜그래) - What’s wrong?
    • Ya! (야)- Hey!
    • Yaksu (약속)- Promise
    • Yeoboseyo (여보세요) - Hello! (over the phone)
    • Yeoja (여자) - Woman / Yeojachingu (여자친구) - Girlfriend
    • Yeppeuda (예쁘다) - Pretty
    • Yeobo (여보) - Honey / Darling
    • Eodiga (어디가) - Where are you going?
    • Babo (바보 ) - fool
    • Blank - accepting options from members (3)
    • Blank - accepting options from members (4)
    • Blank - accepting options from members (5)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/18/2023 at 12:36 AM

26 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Yeah, he's handsome :blush: 

Sounds like he is a 멋있는 남자 (meossineun namja) (aka a cool/handsome guy)

You didn't answer the second question though. :joy:

32 minutes ago, sweetroad said:

Your event is getting derailed @confusedheart

No, it's not. I added a pop quiz about a hangul word referring to a Truck of Doom and One-Oppa loving EO. Just to not go too off-topic. :loolz:

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Blob 2

:waves:

@confusedheart thanks for the tagged:)

2 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Omo!

21 minutes ago, partyon said:

Omo! So he is handsome !!!! OMO! Did he have abs??? :yaaa:

Guess which EO this is: 에쩬드

is OMO okey to add chingu:allgoodlol:

tumblr_nizpvc1kBU1u463oao1_400.gifvtumblr_nizpvc1kBU1u463oao4_400.gifv

tumblr_nizpvc1kBU1u463oao5_400.gifvbut oppa is an iconic korean word

tumblr_nkr9z8DeGJ1qfakbgo2_500.gifv

And

Sa-rang-hae (사랑해) - I love you

tumblr_pbeq7xP0aW1qfakbgo2_r1_540.gifv

credit owners of the gifs

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 3

A word I am mostly familiar with unfortunately is ''Gaejasgii'' and by the way it is always comes with and said with an attitude Lmao.. 

Or Ssi-bal-saekki or just Ssibal.. 

Remember to use it when greeting it always goes well.. 

If you find yourself in a korean restaurant it comes handy.. 

spacer.png

Spoiler

Just kiddin don't use it..

• Shocked 1
  • LOL 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

I was in Buncheon Korea 2 weeks ago and I was wearing out Jinjja/ seriously primarily over two things:

1. Jinjja: Their fried chicken is just YASSSS HONEY! And I from the south in the US and can fry you under the table! Korea fried me under the table! Shout out to BBQ Chicken in Buncheon!

2. Jinjja: Chain Smoking population. It is like the people smoked in synchronization!. If one person stepped out and smoked, the whole entertainment block did the same thing. I HATE cigarette smoke!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 5
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

:waves: guys!

I am always late to the parties lately! Thank so much @confusedheart chingu for tagging me as always! :heart: I had so much fun reading the poll and it turned out that I voted for 51 options in total... OH MY GOD?? Then I am an Immortal Legend in the community?? :scream:

It's almost been 7 years that I am in love with my Daniel oppa.. So I see it's worth to have fall for him! I can get myself about 50% of raw korean drama episodes now! YAYYY!!! :getmygrooveon:

How are you other chingus doing? This is so fun! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

1 hour ago, willenette said:

@confusedheart sorry, but, as far as I know, "Gojo" in Korean means wave. Do I stand corrected?  

"Get Lost is  gil-eul ilhda..................

They were talking about the word ”ggojo” 꺼져 which means ”go away”.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

*** Learning Korean through dramas has its own advantages. Through dramas you not only learn the precise nuances of Korean language but also understand Korean culture in a deeper way. Although, just learning from K-dramas won't make you fluent in Korean, but, instead, we can use K-dramas as a fun add-on tool to our Korean learning. One of my favorite streaming services, Viki, has one of the best tools to help those who wish to learn Korean while watching K-dramas. Just select the “learn mode” in the subtitle options (not available for all titles, though) and it displays text in both English AND Korean. You can click on any Korean word to see the romanization (English spelling) and definition, there’s also a speaker icon you can click to hear the pronunciation. Now, as far as I know, TikTok is also a great resource for learning Korean words. Same thing also on Instagram and YouTube channels as well. TikTok has the format, which allows you to practice words by easily pausing, and the videos automatically loop for easy repetition. If you want to get more serious about learning Korean, you may check out 90-Day Korean or Talk to Me in Korean. Both have websites, and YouTube channels, and 90-Day Korean has an app as well. Another great app is Teuida.

Here are the lists of some of the words I regularly hear in K-dramas I’m watching :   :twerk2:

Spoiler

Kwan Channayo = I’m fine / OK

Yepuda = Beautiful

Bogoshippo = I miss you

Bogo = Eat

Kogeyo? = Really?

Sang-il Chukka Hamnida = Happy B-Day

Bonju Sanghe = Take Care

Jeel-too = Jealous

Na jeel too nasuh = I’m jealous

Ahjussi = Older male/Mr

Annyang hi Kaysayo = Goodbye

Jeogiyo = Excuse me

Ppang = Bread

Jjang = The best

Bae gop dah = Hungry

Kyeopta = Cute

Chukahae = Congratulations

Odi gaseyo? = Where are you going?

Chukhamnida = Cheers

Chin cha? = Are you serious

Otoke? = What to do?

Pojangmacha = Tent dining inn

Ulzzang = Best face

Minnat = Bare face

Dongan = Baby face

Jebal = Please

Haru = Day

Yeongweonhi = Forever

Kojimal = Lie

Yaksok = Promise

Babo = Fool

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 5

5 hours ago, TheQueenReturns said:

Jinjja: Chain Smoking population. It is like the people smoked in synchronization!. If one person stepped out and smoke, the whole entertainment block did the same thing. I HATE cigarette smoke!

Srsly what I hate about traveling in certain countries. I cannot stand cigarette smoke either. :unamused: 

• Insightful 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 6

9 minutes ago, partyon said:

Srsly what I hate about traveling in certain countries. I cannot stand cigarette smoke either. :unamused: 

@partyon  I hate it, too since I don't smoke. I remember I tried learning it when I was in High School because some of my friends smoked. I stopped it and did not regret it at all. Cigarette smoking harms nearly every organ of the body, causes many diseases, and reduces the health of smokers in general. It can cause lung disease. That's harmful  cigarette smoke is!  :7555_attack:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

11 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

i wish I can pronounce some Korean word easily :D

every one be saying something 

me be like saying completely deferent thing :mrgreen:

One word which I noticed is widely used in kdramas even among villagers is 

wipe 

anyway that's how it sounds and it seems to be the English wife.

• LOL 10

1 hour ago, gm4queen said:

:waves: guys!

I am always late to the parties lately! Thank so much @confusedheart chingu for tagging me as always! :heart: I had so much fun reading the poll and it turned out that I voted for 51 options in total... OH MY GOD?? Then I am an Immortal Legend in the community?? :scream:

It's almost been 7 years that I am in love with my Daniel oppa.. So I see it's worth to have fall for him! I can get myself about 50% of raw korean drama episodes now! YAYYY!!! :getmygrooveon:

How are you other chingus doing? This is so fun! :lol:

@gm4queen wow, dear - congratulations!   :heart:   Me, although I know some K-words, I'm still comfortable watching dramas with subtitles. Well, each of us has a different comfort level with subtitles — for me, I love them, and I don’t think I’ve ever even had subtitle phobia. I’ve long enjoyed cinema from other countries then and subtitles were my friend. They never presented a problem. hahaha - Some aren’t remotely interested in “reading” while they watch; for others, the fact that something isn’t in their native language makes it immediately unappealing or unworthy. At least in my own case, when I look back on my (almost) decade of drama watching, I’m amazed how much I have learned about the Korean language. Not only the words themselves, but the use of honorifics, what satoori sounds like. What’s interesting is that over the years I’ve noticed a huge improvement in the quality of translations. Sometimes they’re even so good that they almost lose their Korean-ness and become more “American” than I’m comfortable with. I grew up with subtitles, both on TV and in the movies. Watching anything without subtitles just feels strange. For me, always "Bring the subtitles on!"  - LOL -   :Megalol:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

My dog speaks Korean :P

spacer.png (stock photo, not my dog)

Anja - sit

Son - Hand

Daleun son - other hand

I still watch with subtitles, but then I watch English shows with subtitles also.  People just don't enunciate well these days.  

• LOL 10

On 6/12/2023 at 10:25 PM, maribella said:

hulmoni, ararbooji, omma, appa, ajusshi, sum choon.

I saw variations in spelling too while googling the words for the event. But I agree with @sweetroad it must be your daily dramas with madcap plots and evil family that has made you so proficient in identifying these words without any subtitles. I think I too gave up after Second Husband. I waited forever for the revenge that never seemed to happen. It was a real test of my patience. The FL Lead was pretty though. 

23 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

truck of doom point of view :mrgreen:

Umm no, unless we have that handsome grim reaper @partyon is crazy about. :naughty:

23 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Funny thing is hubby has had to passively receive so many kdramas through osmosis (he's just in the room while I'm watching) that he says Aish! all the time now.

So I quizzed my namja chingu and he knows just one - oppa! :facepalm: But apparently he now knows acronyms like FL/ ML. So that's a relief. :yum:

23 hours ago, joccu said:

@Ameera Ali   That is so true. :joy:  

@joccu and @partyon I am going to do a Thai version just for you and us too because through osmosis (your recaps on +/-), we are quite an expert too on Thai lakorns.  :lol:

23 hours ago, larus said:

I`ve watched kdramas for ten years now but I still don`t understand the language. :crazy: I recognized 30 words. Cool! But I still don`t know much.

That's impressive chingu! :love:

21 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Though I've seen so few Kdramas, I'm a bit familiar with some of the words and terms, thanks to reading plenty of manhwas and having previously dated a Korean. :sweat_smile:

You can read korean? How awesome is that?

Awesome GIFs | GIFDB.com

21 hours ago, partyon said:

Is it someone we know? Maybe one of these oppas?

I totally love @partyon's visual representation for our easy reference. Omo  @MayanEcho you echoed a handsome Korean oppa. 

Agustd Biased on Twitter: "Me right now #BTS #Seoul #SouthKorea  https://t.co/owd2BXXCZK" / Twitter

21 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Your event is getting derailed @confusedheart

Nah, it just got more interesting. Dating a handsome Korean oppa who perhaps had abs....  :Pandabulous:I must save to go to South Korea and find a handsome oppa of my own.

21 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

i wish I can pronounce some Korean word easily :D

I'd say Irish names are some of the most difficult to pronounce. I was once watching this show and the host put up few Irish names for the guest to pronounce and I got them all wrong except one. 

20 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

when Netflix teach us swearing word Sekiya in every drama  :D

I have a mind to put up a poll consisting of ahem some colorful words we learnt, quite inadverently though. But I don't think the admin will approve of it. :grimace:

12 hours ago, gm4queen said:

can get myself about 50% of raw korean drama episodes now! YAYYY!!! :getmygrooveon:

That's impressive. I can barely catch some of the known words. Like when I was listening to the OST of Lovely Kim Sam Soon, I figured out few words. But it feels great when I can spot a word I know. :coolshades:In the meantime @gm4queen and a few more of us, including yours truly.....

Spoiler

Okay.. Now this truly describes me.!! | Drama memes, Anime quotes  inspirational, Friends quotes funny

• Like 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, willenette said:

Kwan Channayo = I’m fine / OK

Yepuda = Beautiful

Bogoshippo = I miss you

Bogo = Eat

Kogeyo? = Really?

Sang-il Chukka Hamnida = Happy B-Day

Bonju Sanghe = Take Care

Jeel-too = Jealous

Na jeel too nasuh = I’m jealous

Ahjussi = Older male/Mr

Annyang hi Kaysayo = Goodbye

Jeogiyo = Excuse me

Ppang = Bread

Jjang = The best

Bae gop dah = Hungry

Kyeopta = Cute

Chukahae = Congratulations

Odi gaseyo? = Where are you going?

Chukhamnida = Cheers

Chin cha? = Are you serious

Otoke? = What to do?

Pojangmacha = Tent dining inn

Ulzzang = Best face

Minnat = Bare face

Dongan = Baby face

Jebal = Please

Haru = Day

Yeongweonhi = Forever

Kojimal = Lie

Yaksok = Promise

Babo = Fool

Oh I forgot to add Babo! I will add that. That's another common word we hear all the time. Thanks for reminding me. :heartxoxo:

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 6

*cries in korean* why do i know every words in the poll lol. nowadays i can even watch celeb vlogs without subs. sometimes i wonder how many hours i have spent watching korean dramas for the last, what, it's been 15 years????

the first korean word that i get from watching dramas was 'mwoya??'. they always pronounce it in a very exaggerated way that it left a lasting impression of me.

also, korean has similar vowel enunciation to my native tongue (javanese) so learning hangul was not as hard as learning other alphabets for me. compared to, for example, japanese.

• Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3