Dailies, Dailies, Dailies, Dailies All Around!

Hi!

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Can you believe this is my first topic since joining the forums in April 2019?

But, if you haven't known, I've been watching k-dramas for a bit longer. Since September 2017.

And based on my signature, you know I love my makjangs.

I Love It Baby GIF by WE tv

Ever since I started watching k-dramas, I've watched one particular kind... a category of dramas that not many people know and love...

DAILY DRAMAS!

I have been watching daily dramas for a long time, in fact, my first k-drama was Nameless Woman in 2017. I watched it on the KBS World channel on YouTube... too bad I can't watch newer dailies on there anymore. :(

I Have No Idea Reaction GIF by MTV Movie & TV Awards

As I watched more dailies (and other makjang/types of dramas as well), I noticed common things. Things I liked, disliked, wanted to see... and maybe didn't wanna see. Sometimes I rewrite dramas in my head! They are Korean soap operas, after all. 

So, I have questions for everyone here!

Happy Burger GIF by Doja Cat

All About You!

• When did you start watching daily dramas?
  • How long have you been watching them?
  • What was your first one?
  • Your favorite one?
  • Least favorite one?

The Stars

• Favorite actress/actor?
  • Least favorite actress/actor?

The Characters

• Favorite daily lead?
  • Least favorite lead?
  • Male or female lead?
  • Favorite villain?
  • Least favorite villain?

Romance!

romance kiss GIF

• Romance or NO romance? Why?
  • Favorite couple? Least favorite? Why?

The Channels

• What is the best daily drama in your opinion? And the worst one?
  • What daily daily had the best ending in your opinion? And the worst one? Why?
  • What channel has the best daily dramas? Your favorite ones?
  • What channel has the worst daily dramas? (Or dailies that you tend to dislike/drop.)
  • What channel would you like to see release a daily drama? (Currently, there's only KBS and MBC)

As You Watch...

Rachael Harris Popcorn GIF by Lucifer

• What's a daily drama you like to re-watch in your free time? One you'd never wanna watch ever again?
  • Your favorite OST? Least favorite?
  • Your favorite background music? Least favorite?
  • What's a daily drama that had awesome background music and a great OST? And one that... didn't?
  • What daily dramas have you dropped/discontinued? How many? Why did you drop them?
  • What are some things you wanna see in a daily drama?
  • What are some things you don't like seeing in a daily drama?
  • What are some of your favorite tropes? Why? (This could extend to makjangs in general, not just dailies.)
  • Least favorite tropes? Why?
  • What kind of endings do you like? Dislike?

In the Writer's Room

• If you could write a daily drama, what would it be about?
  • What kind of daily drama would it be? A happy, bright, yet melodramatic drama like the ones on KBS1? Or the darker, angsty, and revenge-driven dramas like SBS's former dailies (most of them, at least) and KBS2 dailies?
  • Who would be in it? Who'd play who and why?
  • How would you set it up? 
  • Where would it be set?
  • What are some tropes you'd include? Some tropes you'd keep out?
  • What kind of ending would it have?
  • Romance or no romance?

Tagging some daily drama chingus!

Your makjang-loving moderator, chococarmela

britney spears have fun GIF

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 6

@chococarmela thanks for the tag!

i'm not sure what's the definition of daily drama.. screen everyday with like 100 episodes??

i can only think of @Lmangla chingu who is a fan of daily drama.. i'm more of a 16 ep kdrama enthusiast who can chase after 4-5 different kdramas a week.. but my drop rate is high as well hahaha

Sad George Costanza GIF

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Wiggle 1

@chococarmela ~ I think of all the dailies I have watched, the one that stands out in my mind is "I am a mother too" -- the first 100 eps were more or less standard in the sense that the villain is someone who is desperate and keeps doing more and more stupid things. Then we got to a point where it was clear the villain was going to get arrested and we were all wondering how the writer was going to fill up the next 30+ episodes are so.

Instead, the last one third of the drama packed such a punch --  we normally don't see villains truly repent, feel the weight of the actions and also accept brick bats from those who hurt. We have a time jump where we see what happens to the villian after she comes out of jail. It was really interesting to see her take stock of what had shaped her, why she did what she did and accept that people may not forgive her. Through it all, she keeps her pride and self-respect. While she takes accountability, she does not grovel -- that is not her style or personality. This is a woman with a strong sense of pride, self-will and a spine. There is introspection on how her past affected her but she does not use it as excuse. So when we get to the end where we see her reconciled with her two children as well as a possible renewing of relationship with her ex-husband, we are good. We can finally see why the ex-husband fell in love with this woman so many years ago and we can see how he is trying to take stock of how she has changed through her jail sentence and matured. He goes from not allowing her to see their son to seeing the merit of allowing her visitation. There isn't a five second turnaround but rather a more nuanced and hopefully ending. 

She even had a song that was for her segment in the OST and was a song I really enjoyed -- can see some of her journey in the video. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

@chococarmelaTo tell you the truth I do not watch daily dramas anymore.  I do not have the patience like before :hwaiting2:especially the makjang part. 

However I do remember this drama - "A Tale of Two Sisters" .  It aired on KBS from April 29 to November 1, 2013 for 135 episodes. 

In the beginning it was quite okay, and then it started to irritate me so much. every time I watched it. It made me feel angry  towards the characters:lol: and it made me dislike myself too (I think I've written something like this before.)  However, I did stay on, just to see what happened to the main character. (Nowadays, I just wait till 2nd week ended and drop everything if I'm not motivated to continue watching it.)

Spoiler

Sincerity_is_the_Way_of_Heaven-p1.jpg

ctto

• Like 6
  • Wiggle 1

23 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

There isn't a five second turnaround but rather a more nuanced and hopefully ending. 

I am SO watching this daily.

11 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

However I do remember this drama - "A Tale of Two Sisters" .  It aired on KBS from April 29 to November 1, 2013 for 135 episodes. 

I planned to watch this one... but I might drop it from my watchlist.

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

i can only think of @Lmangla chingu who is a fan of daily drama.. i'm more of a 16 ep kdrama enthusiast who can chase after 4-5 different kdramas a week.. but my drop rate is high as well hahaha

Well... you can talk about makjangs here too! I definitely tend to drop a lot of dramas in general lmao.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

54 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

Well... you can talk about makjangs here too!

the ones i watched eons years ago were not korean.. but the notorious taiwanese daily dramas

HAHAHA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirits_of_Love

The_Spirits_of_Love.jpg

cr.: owner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unforgettable_Memory

i remembered its like, even if you went for a short holiday and missed a few episodes there is no need to google for previous episodes, because the daily episodes worked the same as irl.. or perhaps, it took 2 episodes to finish 1 day in the drama life.

since the insane almost 1000 episodes (plus commercials, without is close to 800 episodes) there was some cold ironic jokes that some elderly didn't manage to live long enough to finish the drama to know the ending..

Melissa Villasenor Oops GIF by Saturday Night Live

another joke was that, those lucky main casts that signed up for the drama have a confirmed food ticket that last them a good minimum 2 years!

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • LOL 3

:waves: guys!

Thank you my fellow moderator @chococarmela chingu for the tag! I am afraid I haven't watched any daily dramas so far but would love to watch one. Any recommendations for a fun, loving daily ride? :hooray2:

Already read @Lmangla chingu's posts. Waiting for @nohamahamoud2002 to pops up. I am sure she has a lot to say about her favorite dailies! :sparklyeyes:

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1

Thanks for the tag @chococarmela!

Daily dramas...uhm, not really watched, unless anime shows count? :sweatingbullets:

There are recent dramas I've watched that after a couple weeks from launching turned to daily release of an episode till the finale. 

Most of the dramas I've seen I have no qualms watching over and over again, cos I'm happy enough listening to the familiar OST/BGM and feeling the excitement once more of climactic scenes.

Nowadays I'm the binge type viewer, though I also live watch the episodes of some dramas when it's released if I'm that excited with the story.

That said, if anyone's planning to go loco while watching, old Mexican telenovelas are so crazy, LOL!

• Like 4

@chococarmela  thanks for the tag! :heart: 

i been watchin a dailies long time.  I started watching dailies somewhere in the 2010. my first daily was  heart of nineteen

(ku hye sun and seo ji suk).

I don´t know if I have best daily but definitely one off the worst dailies was phoenix 2020. 

I love really good written villains.  

Not a fan of romance but you really can´t avoid it in dailies. So if they a really good written I don´t mind.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

20 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

old Mexican telenovelas are so crazy, LOL!

I love Mexican telenovelas! Lol

19 minutes ago, joccu said:

I don´t know if I have best daily but definitely one off the worst dailies was phoenix 2020. 

Heaven's Promise and Ice Adonis were great dailies to me.

19 minutes ago, joccu said:

Not a fan of romance but you really can´t avoid it in dailies.

Same.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

*** I’m not really into daily dramas since my schedule won’t permit me. And I don’t watch all but, only K-dramas. I’ve been watching K-dramas since 2005 so, it would be 17yrs now.. It became a part of my life. The first series I watched was of Ji Sung called “Save The Last Dance for Me”. It used to run in our local channel and I fell in love with the plot and Ji Sung.  It’s really worth watching.

I love Scarlet Heart of Lee Jun Ki, Heirs, BOF, City Hunter, Personal Taste of Lee Min Ho, Kill Me, Heal Me, Protect the Boss, Secret Love of Ji Sung, Healer of Ji Chang Wook, My Love from Another Star & Dream High of Kim Soo Hyun, The Master’s Sun & Oh My Venus of Su Ji Sub, Mischievous Kiss of Kim Hyun Joong, My Girl of Lee Dong Wook , Fated to Love You of Choi Jin Hyuk, Love in The Moonlight of Park Bo Gum, She Was Pretty of Park Seo Joon, Descendants of The Sun of Song Joong Ki, Hyde Jekyll Me & Secret Garden of Hyunbin, Mask of Ju Ji Hun, Fullhouse of RAIN.

I rarely dislike K-dramas, most of the time they're either (very) good or kinda meh. I like Gong Hyo Jin & Kim Soo Hyun. I always admired him in all his dramas/movies. His acting is solid and he's good at crying scenes. I would rather watch Kim Hyun Joong & Jae Joong sing than acting. Same with Shin Se Kyung, Suzy, UEE – I admire their faces but not the acting. 

Besides great onscreen chemistry between the cast and a well-written script, a successful drama has to have a solid official soundtrack as a finishing touch. It can make or break a scene – who else remembers that infamous “love is the moment” song being played every 5 seconds in The Heirs? Crash Landing On You has good OST lineup. I love I Will Give You My Heart by IU. The OST of The King : Eternal Monarch are just as impressive.  I love the Gravity song very much! Itaewon Class OST is a thumbs-up &  was just as well-received.

I’m always a sucker for happy-ending stories. I don’t like the ending of Uncontrollably Fond (Kim Woo Bin). The ending scene where Shin Joon Young leans on his girlfriend’s shoulder,closes his eyes, then passes away, has left viewers heartbroken. Mr. Sunshine (Lee Byung Hun) In the final episode, the things that viewers feared really happened, the four main characters all die one after another. 49 Days (Jung Il Woo) I was outraged & even wanted to kill the writer because of the cruel and heartless ending. Autumn In My Heart (Song Seung Hun & Wonbin) This drama is still considered the series with the most tearful and sad ending on the Asian screen.  :coolshades:

• Like 1
  • Blob 1