Dailies, Dailies, Dailies, Dailies All Around!

Been watching on and off since 10+ years ago. Can't remember exactly since it was so long ago. Also can't remember my first drama. I don't really have a single favorite, but my most memorable ones would be "Ugly Alert" "You Don't Know Women(Raw)" "Daring Women" "Ice Adonis" "A Well-raised Daughter, Hana".

Favorite Female Lead? Yeon-hwa from Ice Adonis. It's well written and shes amazing. Na Do Hee(Ugly Alert) and Jang Hana(Well Raised Daugher Hana) are not that far behind. As a guy myself, i find doormat leads so annoying, but there is exceptions ofcourse.

Favorite Male Lead? Would be Han Yoon Chan from "Well Raised Daughter, Hana". He's simply amazing. 

Favorite Actress : Lee Yoori. Not much to say, she's simply a phenomenal actress.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I watched a lot of Hong Kong (TVB & ATV) and Singapore-produced daily dramas, in fact, I grew up with them and most of my favorite dramas remain the TVB 30 or 40-episodes 1-hour daily dramas that are usually aired in 6 or 8 weeks. For those who love makjang, the best TVB drama I watched is "Greed of Man" (40 episodes). A mega budget production that has everything - from throwing of sons off from the top of the HK Stock Exchange building, friends killing each other, a family of 5 being decimated, etc etc. 

The current daily sit-com that is being aired in TVB is "Come Home Love: Lo and Behold" - aired since Jan 2017 (episode 1561 now).

As for Korean dailies, I only started with Red Shoes last year, finishing the Second Husband (left 2 more episodes) and currently following Love Twist! Very different style compared to HKG or Singapore serials and I am kinda used to the storyline :)

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 5:00 PM, Lmangla said:

in terms of laughs and entertainment, I loved "man in the veil" -- it made zero sense but I had an absolute blast watching it along with soompi chingus. :lol:

Man in a Veil has a secret place in my heart too. My mother-in-law loved it. When Man in a Veil was airing, we lived really close to my in-laws and we would have a family dinner at least once a week. Every single dinner time this show would be on.  Since I didn't watch it every day, I only got random bits of confusing chaos. My husband, sister-in-law and I would have no idea what was going on, so we just laughed and made fun of everything. The week after he be fell into the water (you know, that time he basically got a brain transplant lol), I was SO confused. I was like "Is he on another show?"

Once it finished, I watched the entire drama in a couple of days (10/10 do not recommend binge-watching this unintentionally hilarious masterpiece), and it did not disappoint. It was as messy as I expected and I had such a good time. Did I laugh inappropriately at times? Yes! Was the acting wonky in parts? Yes. Did I enjoy it? More than I should have :joy:

On 4/7/2022 at 6:49 PM, Newbie21SG said:

For those who love makjang, the best TVB drama I watched is "Greed of Man" (40 episodes). A mega budget production that has everything - from throwing of sons off from the top of the HK Stock Exchange building, friends killing each other, a family of 5 being decimated, etc etc. 

this sounds like my type of drama. :lol: haahhaha... will check it out! 

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 1:05 PM, chococarmela said:

Heaven's Promise and Ice Adonis were great dailies to me.

I too loved Ice Adonis @chococarmela My favorite actress is Lee Yu-Ri. She is a talented actress and I have watched all her daily Dramas obsessively and @Lmangla Lee Yu Ru’s daily drama I watched after it already  aired .  Am I Crazy Warner Bros GIF by Leroy Patterson

Lol lol I just couldn’t help it  Title’s Young Lady ( Raw no subtitles) - -> Completed, 

Daring Woman ( raw)  couldn’t complete it was to hard to follow , Twinkle Twinkle - -> Completed and it was subbed at the time ,

I love you, Don’t Cry - -> completed and subbed , it was sad and wondered if situations like the drama’s happen in real life. 

Favorite Male lead  Kang Kyung Jun - - Male lead The Women’s Room  Jin Soo Hyuk. and Male Villain Flower of Revenge  Kang Hyuk-Min 

Lee Yu-Ri —> Seol Yeon Hwa.  Ice Adonis

Favorite Villain Choi Yoo-Ra  never repented  Actress Yun Ah-Jeong  
200.gif this drama above 

Drama’s I would rewatch 

Enemies From the Past

Cheongdamdong Scandal

Abiding Love Dandelion

Good Person 

The Women’s Doom

Flower of Revenge

Love in Heaven

Glass Mask

One Well Raised Daughter 
Love to the End 

Love is Drop Drop

First Love Again

The least Favorite Drama 

The Eldest because I couldn’t quite understand why the lead couldn’t get back together 

Favorite Male actor 

Hyun Woo Sung 

Kang Kyung Jun

Favorite Female Actress 

Wang Bit Na

Park Eun Hye

Jang Shin Young 

Woo Hee Jin

• Like 3

New Event Alert!:hooray:

Favourite Time Travel K-Dramas :offtospace:

Hop into a time machine with our latest event and go back in time or hurtle into the future with memorable and iconic Time Travel K-Dramas.  :eats2:

Vote for your favourite Time Travel K-Drama now!:piggydance:

Your event organizers:

• Like 2

Annyeong chingudeul! 

Thanks for tagging me @chococarmela

Daily dramas, hmmmmm! I am not into this kind of dramas but I got to like some of these in recent years. What I am talking about is dramas with 100+ eps. But i always watch the Sat-Sunday schedule dramas of the three big  TV Korea networks esp KBS2 - I love how they make the scripts - yeah you are absolutely correct - super makjang! 

All About You!

• When did you start watching daily dramas? - i think year 2020
  • How long have you been watching them? Around two years only
  • What was your first one? - My Husbad Got a Family, Ugly Alert , All About My Mom, Never Twice , Be My Dream Family and many more
  • Your favorite one? Mostly KBS2 Sat-Sunday dramas
  • Least favorite one? I dont have because if I dont like I am not watching it. 

The Stars

• Favorite actress/actor? - Kim Nam Joo and Lim Ju Hwan
  • Least favorite actress/actor?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Can I ask are there any dailies without the stereotypical “Pure and cheerful but  too stupid to live no backbone”heroine. ?

Don't Go Away/Don't Shake (2008) had an evil heroine as the main character! Maybe a bit too evil, but she was awesome. 

1 hour ago, Sakurafairy said:

But i always watch the Sat-Sunday schedule dramas of the three big  TV Korea networks esp KBS2 - I love how they make the scripts - yeah you are absolutely correct - super makjang! 

Hmm... I also love weekend dramas, I enjoyed Sister Is Alive as well as Penthouse!

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 5:44 AM, UnniSarah said:

Title’s Young Lady ( Raw no subtitles) - -> Completed

Where'd you find this drama raw?

Favorite Male lead  Kang Kyung Jun

He is such a good actor!

My favorite actress is Lee Yu-Ri. She is a talented actress and I have watched all her daily Dramas obsessively

I love Lee Yu-Ri, she's incredibly talented and on my list of top actresses. Jang Seo-Hee, Kim So-Yeon, Woo Hee-Jin, Soo-Ae, and Eugene are all included. I'm currently rewatching Heaven's Promise!

Enemies From the Past

Cheongdamdong Scandal

Abiding Love Dandelion

Good Person 

The Women’s Doom

Flower of Revenge

Love in Heaven

Glass Mask

One Well Raised Daughter 
Love to the End 

Love is Drop Drop

First Love Again

Someone else who loved The Women's Room! It was so good! I have yet to watch Cheondamdong Scandal... it's unsubbed sadly.

Hyun Woo Sung 

Love this man, extremely versatile.

Wang Bit Na

Park Eun Hye

Jang Shin Young 

Woo Hee Jin

PARK EUN-HYE!!!! That woman is a goddess! Very underrated in my opinion. I'd also add Lee So-Yeon and Choi Myung-Gil, as well as Shin Eun-Kyung. Oh Hyun-Kyung and Seo-Woo are incredibly fantastic too. 
Woo Hee-Jin... my love. She is beautiful. Need more Woo Hee-Jin dramas, please.

On 4/9/2022 at 1:50 AM, philosophie said:

Apujgeong midnight sun and golden pouch are my favorite dailies that are way too underrated! My favorite revenge one was Heavens Promise. I will say another spicy daily that I never see spoken about was Wonderful Mama.

I have to got to watch Apujeong Midnight Sun, I hear too many people talking about it. Haven't seen Golden Pouch either. Of course I love Heaven's Promise! And I've never seen Wonderful Mama.

The Eldest because I couldn’t quite understand why the lead couldn’t get back together 

I've never watched this one either.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, Newbie21SG said:

For those who love makjang, the best TVB drama I watched is "Greed of Man" (40 episodes). A mega budget production that has everything - from throwing of sons off from the top of the HK Stock Exchange building, friends killing each other, a family of 5 being decimated, etc etc. 

SIGN ME UP. 

Throw It Up 2 Chainz GIF by Apple Music

On 4/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, Newbie21SG said:

As for Korean dailies, I only started with Red Shoes last year, finishing the Second Husband (left 2 more episodes) and currently following Love Twist! Very different style compared to HKG or Singapore serials and I am kinda used to the storyline :)

I have a long list for you then!

On 4/7/2022 at 2:26 AM, Lunkera said:

"You Don't Know Women(Raw)"

I can't seem to find this drama anywhere. I wanna watch "An Angel's Choice" too.

19 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Evil heroine? That’s unique!  I suppose she becomes good by the end?

It is unique! I'm not sure if she becomes good at the end... but I am looking out for dailies/other dramas with an evil female protagonist.

A few dramas with strong heroines overall are "You Don't Know Women", "An Angel's Choice", and "Cheondamdong Scandal". Even "The Second Husband" had a strong female lead, Bong Seon-Hwa... she kicked people's butts alongside the male lead! That's awesome! 

On 4/6/2022 at 11:07 PM, willenette said:

Autumn In My Heart (Song Seung Hun & Wonbin) This drama is still considered the series with the most tearful and sad ending on the Asian screen.  

Oh that drama? I'm Sorry I Love You also comes to mind. Both dramas ripped out my heart, threw it on the ground, and burnt it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, RobinM said:

Thank you! It’s the overly tear filled bullied dim witted angelic Mary Sues that take me out of many daily dramas. 

Heavy emphasis on dim witted Mary Sues. That's why I prefer revenge daily dramas, and good ones at that. The revenge baddie makeover/power-up is one of my favorite tropes. Always exciting to see, and most dailies pull this off well! It just has to be well-written.

• Like 2

Right? Why can’t a women be assertive and a good person at the same time??  All yo often “Bad” girls are dynamic, smart and sexy while The heroine is a virtuously pure naive overly trusting bimbo. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Right? Why can’t a women be assertive and a good person at the same time??  All yo often “Bad” girls are dynamic, smart and sexy while The heroine is a virtuously pure naive overly trusting bimbo. 

I feel like this is a cultural thing, really, and it needs to stop.

"Two Mothers" had an evil female lead before they switched it to Jang Seo-Hee's character Yeonhee...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chococarmela said:

t is unique! I'm not sure if she becomes good at the end... but I am looking out for dailies/other dramas with an evil female protagonist.

Ohhhh flames of desire is a good one then. The female lead isn’t innocent at all but she is not SO evil where you hate her so much by the end of the drama. Very good balance

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, philosophie said:

Ohhhh flames of desire is a good one then. The female lead isn’t innocent at all but she is not SO evil where you hate her so much by the end of the drama. Very good balance

Currently watching Flames of Desire, awesome drama with awesome actors. Na-Young is morally grey. I love that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chococarmela said:

Currently watching Flames of Desire, awesome drama with awesome actors. Na-Young is morally grey. I love that!

I’m glad ur enjoying it! One of the few dramas in my rewatch list. Apujgeong has a no stereotypical female lead too who some would consider ‘evil’

• Like 2

For those interested in the Greed of Man, this is the description from wikipedia:

The Greed of Man is a Hong Kong television series first broadcast on TVB Jade in 1992. The story, spanning three decades from the 1970s to the 1990s in Hong Kong and Taiwan, addresses various social and financial phenomena of the times, from triad 新义安 violence to corruption in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. It featured a top roster cast, including veteran TVB actors Adam Cheng and Damian Lau and award-winning actor Sean Lau. The series is also well remembered for a Hong Kong stock market cultural phenomenon called the "Ting Hai effect".

The first episode of The Greed of Man starts in medias res with Ting Hai hurling his four adult sons from the top of the stock exchange building after losing his fortunes in the stock market. Upon the show's initial run in 1992, the audience found the scene so disturbing that the resulting torrent of complaints forced TVB to make several adjustments to the programme. The drama was moved from the 7 o'clock timeslot to the 9 o'clock timeslot after the first week of airing, and several sensitive scenes were cut. Scenes that have been edited out include Ting Hai trying to wash blood off his hands with his own urine, the rape and suicide of Fong Man, and the triads throwing the remnants of the Fong family down from the roof. No domestic version, including later reruns and VHS and DVD releases, contains the full unedited The Greed of Man; however, the North American VHS version, being shipped before the programme was aired and edited in Hong Kong, is considered to be the complete uncut version.

The April 2015 rerun, aired after a massive spike in the Hang Seng Index, drew an average of 360,000 viewers, a record for late night television in Hong Kong. The controversial opening scene itself drew 410,000 viewers. Young viewers watching the classic soap opera for the first time dubbed it a "divine drama" (神劇, meaning a highly acclaimed drama) on social media. The rerun won the "Most Popular Classic Drama Serial" award in the 2015 TVB Anniversary Awards.

It's amazing that even 30 years later in 2022, some of the scenes are still fresh in my mind and resonated with me, having watched the show as a teen (without understanding some of the things mentioned there) to now (having formed a family with work experience to reflect on).

• Like 2