[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

38 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Sometimes I think I must be watching an entirely different drama called Moon Lovers set in an alternate universe which only I am privy to. I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering what the furore has been all about. Aside from editing issues and the odd mix of cheesiness, I don't quite understand the outrage. I don't mind cheesy and I can close an eye to egregiously bad editing if it doesn't happen too often during the hour.  But honestly... I definitely don't understand the vitriol against Su even if I understand the widespread disappointment that there's not been much progression between the leads. And I certainly don't see her pining for Uk. Yes, she's trying to fob off So but is that so surprising after everything she's been through? 

It's undoubtedly a testament to what a fantastic job Lee Joon Gi is doing that everyone is so quick to take the side of the character he's playing. He is quite wonderful in his portrayal of Wang So and he really putting his stamp on the character. Apart from that, he's such a well-developed, larger-than-life character who's so determined and gloriously practical about love. What a breath of fresh air in stodgy Goryeo.

However, that shouldn't cloud our judgement about the object of his affections. Just because he loves greatly doesn't mean she has to especially if she's terrified or should I say petrified, that she will be an instrument of catastrophe yet again... that someone close to her again will die because of her naivete. I rather enjoyed the new improved cynical laundry maid Su. Perhaps there really is a sadistic streak lying dormant in me but it's a relief seeing all that cheerful meddlesome optimism beaten out of her. Now, I think she might actually be ready to be the woman of a King. 

I saw the "I miss you" exchange with Uk rather differently. It was done so stoically and philosophically... in a jaded, world weary way which leads me to think that it was her way of saying good bye to him. My impression watching it is that all she wanted to know if he was ever really in love with her or was their romance a complete lie from start to finish. It probably gave her a measure of comfort to know that he did love her even if he didn't love her enough to support her to the end. I thought it was quite telling how she cut him off with a "that's enough for me" when he was trying to rationalize his scumbaggery.

The difference between me and all those who are deeply disappointed that the "real" romance hasn't begun is that for me the romance began a long time ago. This is probably why I'm one of the handful of people who actually loved The Time We Were Not in Love and its Taiwanese counterpart. I have a soft spot for "friends-becoming-lovers" storylines and I really do love this one. There's something gleefully entertaining about watching So working so hard to win Su over... it's so cute, clumsy and heartwarming that I'm going to be teeny tiny bit sorry when she finally gives in. But what's even more charming is that he's so undeterred... as if he knows that she doesn't really mean all the nasty stuff she's throwing in his face. What is a little challenge for the would-be-king? If he can't handle one woman, he can't rule a nation. :P

But that's it, isn't it? He is a king-in-training. He isn't just a man in love. He is the man who would be King. To love a man is one thing but to love a King is an entirely different beast. Especially when one thinks of what happened to Court Lady O, how loving a king broke her and sucked the life out of her.

I've always suspected that Taejo considered So a contender for the throne. It's nice we got confirmation of it in this episode. The man is Machiavellian to a fault but he is a very decent judge of character. Moreover, I'm somewhat amused that he didn't really object to So being so protective of Su but saw that as proof of his mettle. What's even more amusing and delightful is that So knows that his father is deliberately pushing his buttons to test him.

Again I think we saw an even greater contrast between So and Uk. One continues to rise while the other sinks deeper still. Betraying Su was probably the best thing for him in some ways. It turned him from being a reactive creature to a much more proactive one. He's gambling everything on conspiring with Yo which will probably not end well. I'm sure he's after power so he can get the girl. But as the old saying goes... "absolute power corrupts absolutely"

So doesn't seem to really care. He's not really even thinking about the throne. If getting the throne means giving up the girl, he's not interested. 

Perhaps the moral of the story is one of those paradoxes... that to be worthy of the throne, one needs to be ready to give it up.

When I saw the scene between Hae Soo and Wang Wook I had the same impression as you. Definitely Hae Soo doesn't feel love for Wang Wook anymore. It's more a feeling of nostalgia that still lingering in her heart. I took her words "that's enough for me" as the end of their relationship. She told him to not put himself in danger for her, but she already knew that for him, his own safety is above his love for her. She understood that when he turned his back to her when she prayed for Lady Oh life, and she ask herself “Why?” To me, her statement sounded more like a reproach.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, yongwonhi4jfc said:
  Hide contents

Actually now that you mention C-BBJX, didn't 4th prince punish chaeryung's equivalent ? He had to make sure nobody was harming her - remember the horse scenes and steaming servants? Maybe WS isn't as violent as 4th. 

I think we haven't got to the part where 4th prince punish Chaeryung. I'm not sure what will be her punishment in this story. The future scenes will let us know more. It's hard to tell. But if I go by the original, then Chaeryung's end is death.

9 minutes ago, mitheone said:

Thanks @cmluv and @paras:)

Calling for MLSHR experts :):)

Do we know what WW was wearing underneath his prince robe before WH's performance?  WY was nodding approvingly when he saw WW putting his robe on, while WS gave a piercing look when he saw it during their little scuffle.  I wonder what's the significance of that outfit.

Thanks again

He is wearing his armour.I guess he was getting ready for the confrontation as seen in the preview.

• Like 3

I've been reading his thread since last weeks episodes. I love reading all the varying insights and commentary. 

The past 3 episodes drove me crazy.I need more SoSoo scenes. I was so mad when Wook turned his back on Soo.

I watched the C-version and let me share my thoughts here.

I personally prefer the growth of SoSoo couple than the C-version 4th prince and Ruoxi. In the C-version, Ruoxi already knows 4th prince will become the emperor and she treats him differently because of that known fact.She is always more careful around him and found out his likes and dislikes because she was afraid of offending the future emperor. In the K-version, Soo does not know that So is Gwanjong until much later. Their relationship seems much more sincere. She helps So and gets comfortable around him even though he did not treat her well in the first 2 episodes. Hope you guys understand what I'm trying to put across..=)

I'm super excited for tonight's episode and I'm more than ready for So and Soo to get together. Wooop Woooppp

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, zi4r said:

HELPPP!!!! I'm having LJG fever, combined with Scarlet-Heart fever.

**dead**

Me too! Like OMG why is he soooooo handsome and hot?!!  He is unstoppable, doesn't he? I must say, at this point of his life, in this drama, as Wang So, at his current profile and acting, he is at his best. If Hae Soo does't want him, I will transport back to Goryeo Dynasty at solar eclipse and then return to modern Seoul to marry him. :phew: :D Hahahahah! With the amount of posts I posts today, I must be crazy. Hahaha! I should contain myself.  :D:D

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, mitheone said:

Thanks @cmluv and @paras:)

Calling for MLSHR experts :):)

Do we know what WW was wearing underneath his prince robe before WH's performance?  WY was nodding approvingly when he saw WW putting his robe on, while WS gave a piercing look when he saw it during their little scuffle.  I wonder what's the significance of that outfit.

Thanks again

I may be wrong but I believe it is armour. I think the original plan is to have Woo Hee assassinate the king, which in turn gives Yo and Wook the opportunity to stage a coup and enable Yo to claim the throne.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, qiwishindi said:

where does the pd say that its gonna be a happy ending? during the interview? or where?

In an interview (found it somewhere between pages 200-250 of the thread), LJK stated that the ending brings healing, enjoyment, and happiness. Unfortunately, the video has been deleted.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Sometimes I think I must be watching an entirely different drama called Moon Lovers set in an alternate universe which only I am privy to. I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering what the furore has been all about. Aside from editing issues and the odd mix of cheesiness, I don't quite understand the outrage. I don't mind cheesy and I can close an eye to egregiously bad editing if it doesn't happen too often during the hour.  But honestly... I definitely don't understand the vitriol against Su even if I understand the widespread disappointment that there's not been much progression between the leads. And I certainly don't see her pining for Uk. Yes, she's trying to fob off So but is that so surprising after everything she's been through? 

It's undoubtedly a testament to what a fantastic job Lee Joon Gi is doing that everyone is so quick to take the side of the character he's playing. He is quite wonderful in his portrayal of Wang So and he really putting his stamp on the character. Apart from that, he's such a well-developed, larger-than-life character who's so determined and gloriously practical about love. What a breath of fresh air in stodgy Goryeo.

However, that shouldn't cloud our judgement about the object of his affections. Just because he loves greatly doesn't mean she has to especially if she's terrified or should I say petrified, that she will be an instrument of catastrophe yet again... that someone close to her again will die because of her naivete. I rather enjoyed the new improved cynical laundry maid Su. Perhaps there really is a sadistic streak lying dormant in me but it's a relief seeing all that cheerful meddlesome optimism beaten out of her. Now, I think she might actually be ready to be the woman of a King. 

I saw the "I miss you" exchange with Uk rather differently. It was done so stoically and philosophically... in a jaded, world weary way which leads me to think that it was her way of saying good bye to him. My impression watching it is that all she wanted to know if he was ever really in love with her or was their romance a complete lie from start to finish. It probably gave her a measure of comfort to know that he did love her even if he didn't love her enough to support her to the end. I thought it was quite telling how she cut him off with a "that's enough for me" when he was trying to rationalize his scumbaggery.

The difference between me and all those who are deeply disappointed that the "real" romance hasn't begun is that for me the romance began a long time ago. This is probably why I'm one of the handful of people who actually loved The Time We Were Not in Love and its Taiwanese counterpart. I have a soft spot for "friends-becoming-lovers" storylines and I really do love this one. There's something gleefully entertaining about watching So working so hard to win Su over... it's so cute, clumsy and heartwarming that I'm going to be teeny tiny bit sorry when she finally gives in. But what's even more charming is that he's so undeterred... as if he knows that she doesn't really mean all the nasty stuff she's throwing in his face. What is a little challenge for the would-be-king? If he can't handle one woman, he can't rule a nation. :P

But that's it, isn't it? He is a king-in-training. He isn't just a man in love. He is the man who would be King. To love a man is one thing but to love a King is an entirely different beast. Especially when one thinks of what happened to Court Lady O, how loving a king broke her and brought her lifelong suffering.

I've always suspected that Taejo considers So a contender for the throne. It's nice we got confirmation of it in this episode. The man is Machiavellian to a fault but he is a very decent judge of character. Moreover, I'm somewhat amused that he didn't really object to So being so protective of Su but saw that as proof of his mettle. What's even more amusing and delightful is that So knows that his father is deliberately pushing his buttons to test him.

Again I think we saw an even greater contrast between So and Uk. One continues to rise while the other sinks deeper still. Betraying Su was probably the best thing for him in some ways. It turned him from being a reactive creature to a much more proactive one. He's gambling everything on conspiring with Yo which will probably not end well. I'm sure he's after power so he can get the girl. But as the old saying goes... "absolute power corrupts absolutely"

So doesn't seem to really care. He's not really even thinking about the throne. If getting the throne means giving up the girl, he's not interested. 

Perhaps the moral of the story is one of those paradoxes... that to be worthy of the throne, one needs to be ready to give it up.

clap!! clap!!! big clap for you sister. I really really love your post. You summed up everything in one post.

• Like 9

sorry if its obvious and sorry if someone had said it before in this thread. i've been a silent reader but it has become so unbearable that i have to get this out. the SBS version's editing is waaay better than the international one. it's not really evident in the earlier episode i think coz it hadn't bother me much, but it made a huge difference in episode 12. seriously i still dont get this two version concept. but anyways still love this show so much and can't wait for live streaming eps 13. <3

• Like 14

Having watched episode 12...

RX was demoted to laundry department because she defied the emperor edict. RX defied the edict because her heart couldn't bear being married to another. RX spent about 6 years at the laundry department. During the same time, 4th was prospering with his farm outside the palace, disguising his patience for the time to strike back. But with this we were shown the strength of RX's character, her steadfastness.

On the other hand, HS was framed and left with questions - what happened? Where did she go wrong? Does Wook still love her? Do you know how annoying it feels to be accused of something one never did and not having the chance to prove it? K-dramaworld is so full of pathetic heroines and now another is added?

People say OSG's death broke HS, but honestly, was their bond really that great? The show did not successfully convey that bond and suddenly we have a tentative friendship between HS and WH? WTH did that came from?

The K-version is very bad at showing "good" bonds - like love, friendship, father-child etc. It is there, but in weak bits and pieces. The strongest bonds I've seen so far are the "bad" bonds like the ones between WS-evil quees and WW-YH. In C-BBJX, we saw RX's bond with the princes, her sister, her frenemy with MY, heck even KX and his eunuch was well portrayed. The K-version is turning the adaptation topsy turvy. I'm not against it, but we are seemed to have left with a bit of a mess.

The heart of BBJX is RX/HS. And the K-version seemed to have betrayed it's heart.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, zi4r said:
please do not quote images-videos

HELPPP!!!! I'm having LJG fever, combined with Scarlet-Heart fever.

**dead**

That makes two of us.  I need oxygen. Can someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by LyraYoo
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, trizha1 said:

If I get home in time I will, but it's looking like I won't be able to do so tonight either. I haven't even watched episode 12 yet. Wah!

If you can't, perhaps I can try. 

@qwenli wanna just shout out to you that I respect your decision and hope that you will not be overly stressed. 

• Like 8