Event ideas discussion

Lmangla

here's my list:

burnt rice: shady mom-in-law, secret life of my secretary

soda without fizz: her private life, my fellow citizens, touch your heart

rainy day cuppa: graceful family, the banker

I considered putting graceful family as burnt rice as I didn't enjoy the ending but it wasn't that awful enough to be burnt rice (which really tastes bad). since I liked 98% of it, am putting it under rainy day cuppa. @Lawyerh ~ same here, I hardly watched dramas and there was nothing that really caught my heart this year. the one did was turkish drama siyah beyaz ask but we can't put that in the poll. LOL.

tagging:

shady mom chingus:  @Thong Thin @UnniSarah @nohamahamoud2002 @rolisrntex @Jonah Kyle @dramaninja @lu09@chococarmela, @msmy @laura Washington @Ldy Gmerm @mersea545 @Barbara Riley @tulip06 @Bejaffled @A V @fragglerock @marrez1 @jasmine19 

graceful family chingus - @Fabbo @thistle @anng @ktcjdrama @mylovekge @celebrianna @bebebisous33 @joccu @mentarisenja @Cassandra E. Bett @Belinda Tan @guinearoyal @smhelen @Ameera Ali @ii panda @sksen @10192123sangre @hush puppy @soesje @Sarang21 @Auntie Mame @philosophie @rocher22 @astoral @serendipity... @foreverempress @roli @camichi @Takingthehighroad @lhynne @Lunkera @curly4hiro @Elfvanvan13 @nubianlegalmind

also chingus, if you loved a drama and want to recommend, please do so in "I recommend this drama" thread (also in events section) -- you can also put in other languages as long as there are subs!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm let's see

1. Burnt rice

When The Devil Calls Your Name ( i did not get the point at the end....)

Waikiki 2 ( it was okay, it lacked the freshness of Season 1)

He is Psychometric  ( really really good drama but I hated the ending)

2. Soda without fizz

Absolute BF ( kind of liked it at first ....but I dunno I just didn't care after a while)

Kill it ( the cat resuscitation part killed the drama for me)

Her Private Life ( I apologise to the harem of KJW  :ph34r:)

3. Cup of Coffee

Love Affairs in the Afternoon ( I could rewatch it  @Lawyerh :mrgreen:)

Aide / Chief of Staff S1

DS 60

Watcher

The Crowned Clown

The Fiery Priest

Touch Your Heart

The Secret Life of My Secretary

Justice

Be Melodramatic

A couple of other dramas which was pretty decent for me was Perfume and My Fellow Citizens

1. burnt rice -- 

I wanna hear your song(this was a meh for me)

possessed(the ending was absolutely ridiculous actually the last few episodes was a huge fire that burnt every grain of rice)

2. soda without fizz -

doctor john(despite my favorite actor of all time being the male lead it was such a boring drama)

one spring night:sleeping:

her private life(this one was literally soda without fuzz)

romance is a bonus book

3. cuppa on a rainy day -- 

graceful family(liked ending was a little bit of a let down but overall still a nice drama)

hotel del luna (loved)
watcher (absolutely loved and highly recommend, this is my type of drama)
search: www (loved/liked)
angel's last mission: love (liked)
doctor prisoner (loved)

Im so sad that my country, joseon roco nokdujeon arent included they are one of my favorites of the moment 

2 hours ago, soesje said:

Im so sad that my country, joseon roco nokdujeon arent included they are one of my favorites of the moment 

it is because it hasn't finished. it could turn out to be like graceful family with an ending that makes viewers go NO!!!!!!

1. Burnt rice 

He is psychometric ( I dont like the ending )

Eulachacha waikiki 2

Rookie historian Goo Hae Ryung 

2. Bad soda

Her private life

Touch your heart

3. Cup of coffee

Hotel del Luna ( I like the love story between FL and SL.)

Arthdal chronicles

Haechi

:)

1- Burnt rice:

• Left-handed wife :( my favourite Namjun died at the end. 
  • Mother of mine

2- soda without fizz:

• well, sadly The Tale of Nokdu, I watched episode one, and then I just didn't want to go on watching.
  • Angel's last mission 
  • hotel del luna

3- cuppa on a rainy day:

• strangely, Home for summer. I liked it very much. 
  • Class of lies @Sushimi
  • I wanna hear your song (Maestro Nam and classical music together ) 
  • liver or Die  (I just love it )

@Lmangla  Shady mom's ending was good for me, it is logical, Jenny can't forget 20 years of her life with shady mom, her separation from Eunsook is logical because shady mom stands between them. the illogical thing for me is that shady mom got 7 years only. If the writer wanted to redeem her, she should have drawn her character differently, like not her committing murder because really you can't commit murder once, and attempt to kill your own son twice and get away with it.

Shady mom in law drama had something evil about it, too much evil :(  it showed us a very dark side of human nature, Mansoo was not straightforward too, he had many things in common with his mother. Jenny called him a psychopath playing with everyone like chess. In the beginning he was evil, and treated Eunsook bad. He harmed him. He was playing games with his mother, when he sent her photos of Song Ah, in those episodes he looked so scary, like I said in my blog (remember??) Actually I was afraid of him in those episodes :D it is like a horror movie lol

later his love for Jenny changed him but not enough to say the truth. He loved his mother more than anyone and kept hiding things.

Shady mom too was a sadist who loved to torture people, her relationship with Jenny was so scary and toxic :(  there is a song called "Witch" OST 2, it is hard metal, depicting Shady mom's character. In general I don't like to watch psychological drama :( 

I was watching it to escape from A place in the sun (where poor Choi Sungjae was maltreated and I wasn't able to defend him :( I was always crying when I watched him, but later his ending was good, so I was satisfied, but in general A place in the sun is far better than shady mom)  

Late joining (didn't know about this thread. I'm still in the learning phase). 

Burnt rice: There are just too many to name; approx. 7 out of 10

Bad Soda: see above

Cup of coffee: Nothing this year as really "comforted" me, just the opposite.

I've added a new category for me: 

Cinnamon Toast (dramas that make me mad, sad, & glad) some old, some new

• Yemin
  • Hercai (currently airing)
  • Şeref Meselesi
  • Legend of Yanxi Palace
  • Ashes of Love
  • Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace
  • Father. I'll Take Care of You 
  • V.I.P.
  • Arthdahl Chronicles
  • The King's Woman

Burnt Rice

Voice (season 3)

~ I have considered putting Graceful Family and When Devil Calls Your Name here, but they weren't that bad actually, I will just consider them as crusty rice, which in some cuisine is quite enjoyable. While I can still rewatch Graceful Family, I would probably not rewatch Devil, thus putting Graceful Family into Cuppa Coffee.

Soda sans Fizz

My Absolute Boyfriend

Her Private Life (no apologies needed @triplem ;))

Abyss

Cuppa Coffee

Graceful Family

Hotel del Luna

Love Affairs in the Afternoon

Perfume

Secret Life of My Secretary

The Fiery Priest

Touch Your Heart

Beautiful World

Class of Lies

Confession

Search: WWW

(I want so badly to add When the Camellia Blooms but I guess it's not listed. It's ending next week.)

1. burnt rice -- 

Graceful Family

Golden Garden

The Great Show,

I Wanna Hear Your Song,

LEVEL UP (more like level down)

The ITEM (Just UGH)

2. soda without fizz --

Watcher,

Angel's Last Mission: Love

Touch my Heart (cute, but meh, he never took his shirt off and yes I am shallow.)

The Flower Crew (the lead character female was so Bland that I was actually shipping the king and the Matchmaker)

3. cuppa on a rainy day -- 

The Fiery Priest ( Can't wait for Season 2)

Mr. Temporary

Hotel Del Luna

Perfume

Children of Nobody

The Banker

The Wind Blows (I stayed in tears)

Justice (The lead is sooooo Hot!)

Welcome2Life

Crowned Clown

Big Issue

18 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Actually 2019 drama is not that exciting for me... Just realized it. 

Ooooh same. I've only watched a few dramas, to be honest, but looking back, it seems I only enjoyed some them because they're the ones airing at that time and I needed something to watch. Take Hotel Del Luna, for instance, I went crazy over that drama but after a few weeks, I've gotten over it mainly because the drama was unsatisfying in so many ways. It had the potential to be good but it just kept missing the mark, although it had a good plot and I enjoyed the characters (Jang Manwol particularly, and the way her relationship with Goo Changsung was set up). 

burnt rice

• Touch Your Heart (meh)

• Dazzling (meh): but the story is meaningful because it's teaching us to value youth and to show respect for the elderly

• Abyss (meh): I dropped this after a few episodes

• Angel's Last Mission (meh): skipped so many parts

• Strangers from Hell (disappointed): good plot, atmosphere, characters, etc. but some parts were dragging

• Class of Lies: It's neither disappointing nor meh. Good story and I like it but I just can't put it under "cuppa on a rainy day" lol

• Hotel Del Luna (disappointed): I don't know, there were so many things about it that could have turned out better but went down the meh route

soda without fizz

• Vagabond (hated): still not over but no matter how it ends, I'd still hate it. Some reasons: the two main leads, the lack of serious treatment for a great material, plot-wise. I'm still watching it though because I want to know how it ends, and because of some of the secondary characters who are likable. I'm staying for them but not for the two main leads. 

cuppa on a rainy day

• When the Camellia Blooms (LOVED): I know this is cheating because it hasn't ended yet but I know no matter how it ends, I'm still going to love it
  • Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency (liked): I like the concept of a "matchmaking agency" but the story is average. I only like this because of the male lead who did his character justice. Ma Hoon is an unforgettable character.  
  • Hotel Del Luna (liked): yes, it's also on this list because I liked it but at the same time, it was burnt rice disappointing

Overall, 2019 kdrama watching for me was all about the characters. When the Camellia Blooms is the only one that drew me in, story-wise, and as a whole (e.g. writing, directing, actor's performances, editing, OST, treatment of the story, etc.). All the rest I enjoyed because of some of its parts like the plot (but not the delivery; e.g. poor script, direction, or actor's performances) and/or the unforgettable characters.

4 hours ago, foreverempress said:

Touch my Heart (cute, but meh, he never took his shirt off and yes I am shallow.)

LOL.... looks like you should be in the abs club! :D@triplem ~ you are not alone! kekeke... but some dramas are meant to be enjoyed on shallow level. if you use brain, it loses the fun. :lol:

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

~ I have considered putting Graceful Family and When Devil Calls Your Name here, but they weren't that bad actually, I will just consider them as crusty rice, which in some cuisine is quite enjoyable.

ooh, crusty rice is a good description of graceful family, especially that ending...

8 hours ago, Takingthehighroad said:

I've added a new category for me: 

Cinnamon Toast (dramas that make me mad, sad, & glad)

am laughing at your description. it has been really long since I had cinnamon toast but they never made me sad or mad. :lol: am wondering what kind of cinnamon toast you have that would result in such conflicting emotions and what that would taste like. :sweatingbullets: kekekek... but mad, sad and glad is the perfect description for most weekend and daily dramas. :lol:

1. burnt rice 

Arthdhal Chronicle (so much potential wasted, especially about the story of Ragaz. I´m still salty about that ending)

Graceful family (why did he have to die?)

Memories of the Alhambra (Hyun Bin cheeks were the only saving grace)

he is psychometric (don´t the like the ending)

2. soda without fizz

Romance is a bonus book (I tried to watch it for LJS but I was bored)

Vagabond (I had high expectations...but it just wasn´t doing it for me)

The secret life of my secretary

3. cuppa on a rainy day -

search: WWW

doctor John

Hotel del Luna

Her private life

4 hours ago, Sarang21 said:

Arthdhal Chronicle (so much potential wasted, especially about the story of Ragaz. I´m still salty about that ending)

TvN had planned more than one season (18 episodes), but due to low viewership & poor ratings (plus Dragon Studio's stock dropped as a result) they are reconsidering. To me, it was one of the best, if not the best, Korean dramas I've watched.

14 hours ago, Lmangla said:

am laughing at your description. it has been really long since I had cinnamon toast but they never made me sad or mad. :lol: am wondering what kind of cinnamon toast you have that would result in such conflicting emotions and what that would taste like. :sweatingbullets: kekekek... but mad, sad and glad is the perfect description for most weekend and daily dramas. :lol:

In my neck of the woods (which is in the very back), we make cinnamon toast by mixing sugar, cinnamon, & melted butter, then spreading it over a piece of white bread. Next, you toast it. Now why I picked that "food" in relation to dramas:

Your first bite - so sweet & tasty that your brain is on overload. Then, if you didn't spread it just right, you might get a nibble of only cinnamon - your brain (how to explain this) kinda freezes & all the senses the first bite had put on overload now suffers something like a jolt of electricity. Then another bite, your brain slowly returns to normal. 

Now, as I approach my senior years stimulation of all your senses reminds you that yes, indeed, everything is still working - you haven't died yet. 

There was an old commercial or cartoon that miraculously I can remember. You'd throw this particular dog a bone. He would be so thrilled that he'd jump up then wiggle & whimper  as he floated back down. Now it never showed what happened when he hit the ground, but this, too, describes cinnamon toast.

1.Burnt rice......

- Memories of Alhambra

- Place in the sun

- Shady mother in law

- Blessing of the sea

2. Soda without fizz.....

- Graceful family

- Love affair in the afternoon

- stranger from hell

-  absolute boyfriend

- love in sadness

3. Cuppa on a rainy day....

- Search: WWW

- kill it

- doctor prisoner

- Banker 

- Chief of staff

1. Burnt rice:

Item ( even jihoon couldn't save the drama)

he is psychometric

haechi

2. soda without fuzz

doctor john

investigation couple 2

voice 3

confession

3. cuppa on a rainy day

arthal chronicles

class of lies

designated survivor 60 days

beautiful world

trap

On 11/14/2019 at 7:39 AM, Lmangla said:

here's my list:

burnt rice: shady mom-in-law, secret life of my secretary

soda without fizz: her private life, my fellow citizens, touch your heart

rainy day cuppa: graceful family, the banker

I considered putting graceful family as burnt rice as I didn't enjoy the ending but it wasn't that awful enough to be burnt rice (which really tastes bad). since I liked 98% of it, am putting it under rainy day cuppa. @Lawyerh ~ same here, I hardly watched dramas and there was nothing that really caught my heart this year. the one did was turkish drama siyah beyaz ask but we can't put that in the poll. LOL.

tagging:

shady mom chingus:  @Thong Thin @UnniSarah @nohamahamoud2002 @rolisrntex @Jonah Kyle @dramaninja @lu09@chococarmela, @msmy @laura Washington @Ldy Gmerm @mersea545 @Barbara Riley @tulip06 @Bejaffled @A V @fragglerock @marrez1 @jasmine19 

graceful family chingus - @Fabbo @thistle @anng @ktcjdrama @mylovekge @celebrianna @bebebisous33 @joccu @mentarisenja @Cassandra E. Bett @Belinda Tan @guinearoyal @smhelen @Ameera Ali @ii panda @sksen @10192123sangre @hush puppy @soesje @Sarang21 @Auntie Mame @philosophie @rocher22 @astoral @serendipity... @foreverempress @roli @camichi @Takingthehighroad @lhynne @Lunkera @curly4hiro @Elfvanvan13 @nubianlegalmind

also chingus, if you loved a drama and want to recommend, please do so in "I recommend this drama" thread (also in events section) -- you can also put in other languages as long as there are subs!

I enjoyed both dramas and yes the ending for Graceful family was not what I expected, but like you said 98% of this drama was good. And it looks like a part two may be in the works. I hope so.

PS. have you watched Home for Summer yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Title: All About You.

Hotel del Luna OST. By: Taeyeon

Listening to it makes me want to cry a river :bawling:

Title: Is You.

Memories of the Alhambra OST. By: Ailee

This OST, somehow gave me an idea how MOA would end... and I was right! 

Love affairs in the afternoon .... (OST 2)

Sojoung (Ladies Code) - Yesterday 

English Translation
Leaning on the night sky, I’m waiting for you
Memories flash like dreams because of the longing
I can’t hide my feelings for you
But even the sunset is getting farther away
Just like our yesterday

How can I forget that kiss?
I put my head down and tried to look somewhere else
Our past days are so far away
Will we be able to go back, forever

All of those paths brought us together
I can’t forget your scent
It’s my everything

You make my heart flutter
My yesterday with you is my everything

(Lyrics courtesy - https://k-lyrics4u.blogspot.com/2019/07/sojung-ladies-code-yesterday-love.html)

Archived