[Drama 2016] Doctors 닥터스

Rin90

Whoah...this thread is moving so fast. Gosh that new speak peak is just daebak!!!

I dont know how I can survive my meetings today, I might just try to do sneak peaks, yesterday Inwas off for the morning, today my sched is booked solid from 8AM to 12NN...btw I'm on the other side of the world...argggh how do I stream?!?!?!?!?) 

BTW, I'm confused about the timeline of the new teaser, I doubt that it was after surgery so this is probably before. But then when JH called in HJ and SW to his office he said the archer's surgery was tomorrow. I mean its a major surgery and all, would they really go on a drinking party before that. And if it was after then it contradicts the first teaser where they were all stressed about the 2 seemingly bad surgeries. 

I'll probably take sneak peaks at this thread to keep updated later. Thanks n advance to the recappers!

• Like 7

So many people going crazy waiting for the episode to start. I talked to Hong Hong Honey about it. He advised locking and hiding this thread to maintain patients' sanity. LOL 

I'm about to max out my mobile data cap. Ottoke

• Like 10

Just now, NhicarT said:

Whoah...this thread is moving so fast. Gosh that new speak peak is just daebak!!!

I dont know how I can survive my meetings today, I might just try to do sneak peaks, yesterday Inwas off for the morning, today my sched is booked solid from 8AM to 12NN...btw I'm on the other side of the world...argggh how do I stream?!?!?!?!?) 

BTW, I'm confused about the timeline of the new teaser, I doubt that it was after surgery so this is probably before. But then when JH called in HJ and SW to his office he said the archer's surgery was tomorrow. I mean its a major surgery and all, would they really go on a drinking party before that. And if it was after then it contradicts the first teaser where they were all stressed about the 2 seemingly bad surgeries. 

I'll probably take sneak peaks at this thread to keep updated later. Thanks n advance to the recappers!

I think, The party is after Soo Chul's surgery. I'm guessing it's a success. Then comes Yoon Do's confession who I think triggered by sassy HJ banged her head on the table to mix the alcohol. And maybe the last is the archer surgery which also has trouble during the surgery.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, mujay said:

IN the begining of this tread we has several argue about the title(maris1, nile rose, irilight ,thou, etc) because the title is too general and heavy to carry on, like we see the develop of story is more like romance then medical, i prefer the first announce title ''gangster hye jung'  it's  more acceptable, because the maine story is about her live and how she overcome her dark childhood to reach.her goal and sucseful, the other side doctors tittle is easy to digest because all the caracter and plot is about doctor live, and what about hospital intrique, (interst in profit or about healtcare for humanity) , some of us maybe had another thougt, but.after last night episode i have no complaine anymore, the story is on going many more can happen, and the way writer to reveal the past even slow still we have explanation what really happening in 13 years. just stay still everyone, we que up here not just because..lol...but we certain the doctors story is good to our soul, so many philosoper ,psychiartis, and deluluist joining this tread how else we demand. doctors team faighting,.....@bebebisous33, i have back read several page but didn't find your insighful tought.

@mujay Thanks for reading my posts. But you're right. I hadn't posted anything as I was waiting for the version with subtitles.

First of all, this drama is definitely about Hye Jeon and her journey to recover from her past. I noticed very important words from Kim Tae Ho he mentioned to SW in the episode 4:

-"People can't develop themselves". (viki)

This can be interpretated differently.  Either, he implied that connections and relationships were important. Or he was pointing to SW out that you need a motivation given by others in order to improve your skills. Striking is that HJ is a proof that you can ("People can't develop themselves"), but only to a certain extent. She worked hard on her own for a long time. But she is still lacking. To me, these words are important because HJ will learn to change due to her different relationships she has at this hospital: Kang CS. is already an admirer and a big supporter hence she took him under her wings. Even YG tried to protect her, when he thought that SC was a troublemaker. So the words KTM mentioned are becoming true for HJ. YD and JH are protecting her as well, but JH has become her mentor. He is the one who knows HJ the best because she was similar to him ("run away from love", f. ex.). As conclusion, she will developp herself thanks to the others, who accepts her for whom she is.

SW hasn't realised yet what he really meant. She sees it as something negative, but it is not what he intended too because her relationships with others can improve. So far, she is still behaving like a higher-up who gives orders to the others. The only one who has become her friend is YG but to me, she doesn't see him like that. She needs a push so that she can change.

• Like 10

Okay I confess, I'm worried, yesterday's episode was good, I didn't think it was as great as the last but it was still enjoyable, but now that I'm looking at the drama as a whole, I'm just wondering what will the writer have for 12 more episodes after tonight ? I don't want to see the usual cliché plot points like a surgery gone terribly wrong, losing one's reputation hospital politics and all of that, I can't pinpoint what exactly I want from the rest of the drama, but I'm praying it stays with this tone light funny easily watchable and enjoyable in all of its aspects.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, yuhotarubi said:

Okay I confess, I'm worried, yesterday's episode was good, I didn't think it was as great as the last but it was still enjoyable, but now that I'm looking at the drama as a whole, I'm just wondering what will the writer have for 12 more episodes after tonight ? I don't want to see the usual cliché plot points like a surgery gone terribly wrong, losing one's reputation hospital politics and all of that, I can't pinpoint what exactly I want from the rest of the drama, but I'm praying it stays with this tone light funny easily watchable and enjoyable in all of its aspects.

The best that can be done here is going for weekly cases that gives each character enough space to grow, I don't expect House MD here but following the patterns of Grey's Anatomy might not be a bad thing. The central conflict that is shaping up around the hospital director and management isn't even remotely interesting to me, personal opinion. But just give us tiny bit of the OTP at the end of the day and by character growth I mean all of the doctors, not just Hye Jung.

• Like 9

Spoiler
7 hours ago, sweetbloom74 said:

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Doctors" Episode 7

2016/07/11 

The opening scene for this episode depicts Hye-jeong as a child listening to a fight between her father and a woman who is either Hye-jeong's mother or her stepmother. It's unclear. While the scene is effective in establishing context for Hye-jeong's actions immediately after her kiss with Ji-hong, the lack of full context illustrates the main greater problem in "Doctors". The drama never quite gives us all the information necessary for the story to be fully satisfying.

Instead, there's disproportionate focus on romance. Even actual surgery is important less because people's lives are at stake and more who gets what specific assignments can be interpreted as a form of special favor. While I didn't mind the doctors' detached attitude before, we get a lot of backstory on the main patient here, to the point she could be a starring character in her own drama. In that context, Ji-hong's mechanical smiles comes off as rather discomforting.

Weirdly enough the main character I keep sympathizing with is Seo-woo of all people. Where everyone else is too half-distracted with doctor stuff to pay attention to personal lives, Seo-woo is completely focused on romance. It really sucks for her to be putting all this effort in with Yoon-do and getting nowhere, but Hye-jeong makes an active effort to avoid these entanglements and has gotten Yoon-do wrapped around her finger apparently by complete accident.

Seo-woo calls attention to the way "Doctors" is structured around making Hye-jeong look good in a way that rather damages the drama as a whole. The return of Soo-cheol (played by Ji Soo) initially seems to fall in to this same pattern. Eventually we find out his motives are quite casual, which is an enormous relief even if Ji-hong and Yoon-do are unlikely to find out about this for some time. But even then the final scene manages to veer into predictable emotional overkill. It figures that the one time "Doctors" manages to come up with an appropriate song it was of course intended to be ironic.

I really wish we could get more exploration of Hye-jeong's other character traits aside from "men find her attractive". It's just so redundant. Why bother hiring Park Shin-hye if so much of the script is going to be dedicated to telling us, rather than showing us, that she's charming? There's so many better places to go. This whole time Hye-jeong has apparently had an admiring stepsister- why can't we spend more time on that?

Review by William Schwartz

"Doctors" is directed by Oh Choong-hwan, written by Ha Myeong-hee and features Kim Rae-won, Park Shin-hye, Yoon Gyoon-sang, Lee Seong-kyeong, Kim Yeong-ae and Jeong Hae-gyoon.

Watch on DramaFever

Episode 7

Watch on DramaFever

Source:http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-doctors-episode-7-96584.html

Sorry, but why do I feel every time I read a review of Doctors by William Schwartz (in spoiler) that he's being overly negative and trying to find fault with the drama.  I could be wrong, but it was pretty obvious to me that the fight scene at the beginning of episode 7 was between Hye Jung's mother and her father. The mother is accusing him of going with that woman who I take is present day stepmother. Does the writer have to explain the obvious? Is the voice being totally different between the wives not enough of a clue?

Disproportionate focus on romance? Last time I checked, this is a Romance/Medical drama.

Also, I'm glad we got some backstory on the patients. Otherwise, would we really be able to sympathize or root for their successful recovery? Understand why the doctors feel so much pain over losing a patient or understand the pressure they're under to make the surgery a success? By giving us this information it paints a more complete picture.

I could go on. Maybe William Schwartz should try watching the drama objectively without trying to find fault. He may be surprised at the information he could glean from the conversations of the characters. 

• Like 15

@lclarakl Thanks for responding. Yes, there is still much remains to be seen about the HJ's family, esp.Dad.

Father:  "How can you address your stepmom as that 'woman'?! Because you act like that, your stepmom is scared of you!", "Don't come to me ever again." ---> I think he acted that way in anger, thinking he's protecting his new family. Like I said, the stepmom has been poisoning him. She must have acted docile and weak in front of him, making him misunderstood HJ. He probably doesn't think he is abandoning since he sent HJ to his mother's place and left her some money.

"If it's about Hye Jung, don't tell me." "I don't care that she has to go to prison." ---> We see that when he answered that phone call, he was busy in the middle of working hard. Probably too tired to deal with another problem, and probably HJ getting into trouble and having to bail her out of the police station is already a common occurrence. It's probably also spoken from a hardened heart because he didn't know what else to do. I don't think he is selfish, but just a weak person. Grandma assured HJ (in flashback end of ep.6) that Dad doesn't hate/dislike her. In English translation, Grandma called him "ignorant", in Chinese the translation was "useless/loser"

I still don't believe he ever hit HJ beyond the normal family elders hitting younger ones that we often see in K-dramas. I think if he also had abused HJ, HJ would've ran away from home. Instead, she dreaded the day he would abandon her, meaning she still wanted to be with him if possible, and she cried when he left.

Anyway, there bound to be differences among us viewers in perspective and interpretation of characters' actions and intentions. Since we're also limited (at least I am) to the translation of actual choice of words use in the original language, there might be something that we missed. Let's just see what unfolds in future episodes. ;)

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

it was pretty obvious to me that the fight scene at the beginning of episode 7 was between Hye Jung's mother and her father.

I could go on. Maybe William Schwartz should try watching the drama objectively without trying to find fault. He may be surprised at the information he could glean from the conversations of the characters. 

:lol: he probably watched without subs then... Come to think of it, that is a very irresponsible review, not knowing who were talking there.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

The best that can be done here is going for weekly cases that gives each character enough space to grow, I don't expect House MD here but following the patterns of Grey's Anatomy might not be a bad thing. The central conflict that is shaping up around the hospital director and management isn't even remotely interesting to me, personal opinion. But just give us tiny bit of the OTP at the end of the day and by character growth I mean all of the doctors, not just Hye Jung.

Although HJ is THE main character, I'm also hoping for more focus on the other characters especially JH and YD, because so far we've only seen JH as the man in love with HJ, we still don't know much about him other than he's adopted and his parents died in a car accident, as for YD we only know he's a chaebol son, why did he choose the path of medecine or why he's incapable of looking at SW the ep way he looks at HJ, SW needs her own character arc as well, I just really hope she doesn't turn into the typical 2nd evil female lead. I don't know what to think anymore, I have my faith in you doctors, 

• Like 10

Just now, ktcjdrama said:

:lol: he probably watched without subs then.

I guess, you're right, because like @lclarakl pointed it out, the beginning of the episode 7 was pretty clear. MH was talking to his wife.

From my point of view, I believe, HJ's mother lost a lot, when she married MH. She cut ties with her family and dropped the university so that I can imagine, she wasn't prepared for that kind of life, where the husband spends a lot of time in order to work. From the grandmother's remark, I have the impression that HJ's mother came from a family from the higher middle-classes and maybe, she had been treated like a princess. However, she was confronted with harsh reality and her love for her husband disappeared. I am not justifying the husband's actions. When he left the house, he looked at HJ with a certain desdain or anger, as if he regretted of having her. After witnessing the scene, I came to the conclusion that her mother was suffering from depression. The words HJ heard from her father left her a deep impression. Based on the sypnosis, MH hurt his wife who died, but after that scene, I had the impression that since the mother had threatened to kill herself and he had answered that he didn't care, HJ could have found her dead and considered his words as the reason why her mother died. Therefore she said once, he had killed his wife. So this would be different. MAybe the writer has changed the script. This would be better because the father is negatively portrayed that it really infuriated me to see him, when he talked so proudly about HJ. This guy dumped her twice:

- first to the grandmother

- after the grandmother's death, HJ was on her own

What made me sick was when the father gave HJ through his other daughter the family certification as if they were forcing HJ to use it to get 30% discount! I mean, they never gave any financial support and now they claim, they are her family. It looks so cheap. The father and the sister might be sincere but their actions make them look interested and selfish. What if they had found her on the streets and she was no doctor? And neither the sister nor the father try to hide their relationship with HJ. I was mad that she entered the staff room, when she asked for the phone number of her sister so that her father could call HJ. KCS made a mistake, he shouldn't have given them the phone number because it was clear that HJ didn't want to as she hadn't given it. She had already met them so she had the opportunity. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, liz-danielle said:

Guys I can't stop laughing! I'm actually laugh right in front of my colleague and they think I'm crazy!

i hope this is after YD's confession and operations!

I LOVE THE NEW SNEAK PEEK HEHEHE JH SO CUTE WITH THE HEAD BANG HEHEHEHHE

• Like 10

Hey Everyone! It's been ages since I've logged in into Soompi forum. Been lurking sometimes.
It must be the cool character that PSH is playing right now that pulled me back into this forumland.
Thank you guys for the live updates, review, comments, screen shots, gif, comic strips and many more fun stuff. I was going to watch this drama when its completed to save myself from the heartache of waiting for the new episodes weekly but I totally couldn't resist it and picked it up last weekend. Haaiiizzz now for the next 2 months my mind will be full of uri doctors!

JiHye Fighting!!

:heart:

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, angelangie said:

i had to be on the forum using my mobile data then the streaming will be pretty good...... :D

and my work place from my office is almost like 20mins without traffic jam :D hahahaha give and take with a little traffic i can get home within half an hour i guess..... :D

so if u see me mainly on text with no quoting means i be on my mobile ROFL....i better grab my shower fast....since we only about half hour away from airing :D

i'm not shower yet.. just wash my face and turn on my laptop.. don't tell anyone. this is the power of DOCT...

• Like 11