[Drama 2016] Doctors 닥터스

Rin90

For the question of why so many characters are written to be crushing over our Hye Jung.... from my point of view its exploring various flavours of affection and its effect on HJ ....

1.First and foremost Ji Hong - the mature and passionate Love...

the kind that endures decades even when there is little hope of fulfilling it.The kind of Love that once we experience it... we are     bound to it for our entire lives... the kind of Love where people become passionate, selfless , patient and sensitive  to a degree that they could never imagine... where they feel that their entire life was nothing but a means to meet their TRUE LOVE.... 

2.Second YJ - the Heart fluttering Crush

the kind that makes our Heart race like a F1 Race Car...where we feel the adrenaline coursing through our veins whenever we are around that person ... where we cant shift away our gaze from them... where we want to look and behave our best in front of them and impress them... its not yet at the stage of Love but definitely we are crazy... super crazy about them...

3.Third SC -After Crush Bromance

the kind where you had crush on certain someone but over time grew out of it and into a solid Friendship 

4.Fourth The Intern (Sorry dont remember his name..) the puppy Love

the kind where we admire someone, more like Hero-worship them and in the process develop a teeny tiny crush on them.... the innocent puppy love...

5.Fifth The Gangster... the Saviour crush

the crush you develop when someone protects you/saves you/helps you... some times in our life a total stranger performs a act of kindness/bravery and helps us ... we admire them... are thankful to them and we being humans cant help but develop a crush on them...

6.Sixth The Flirty Doctor (YJ's uncle..) Harmless flirting

some people have a flirting nature where they start flirting the moment someones looks or charisma catches their attention...   the flirting is for them more of an attempt to connect with others and less of them developing a crush...... this kind of flirting more often than not... ends up becoming starting step to friendship...

• Like 23

1 hour ago, Bookworm95 said:

OMOOOOOOO, meee toooo. Right now i'm doing my work while open this thread and watching the sneak peak.... i have to cover my mouth not to laugh aloud because of JH :D

Me too! But unfortunately I didn't expect this and laugh out loud right in front of colleague!!! Damn!!

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Bambiina said:

@angelangie - Go take a nap .. time moves faster when you sleep .. hihihihi ..

@Bookworm95 .. Must be fans of KRW complaining ? ... :D ... BTW - I want more of KRW too ... I guess 1 hours per episode is not enough.

Yesssss, i never expect he plays this funny, bright, warm character this cute >.< aarrrgggghhhh can't handle this ahjussi cutenessssss

• Like 11

Spoiler
5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Sharing my view on HJ's family. Mostly on Dad because I think he is a misunderstood person.

Dad -- He never came across to me as an abusive or aggressive father. If any, he is a weak and passive parent. Yes, we saw him hitting HJ in the car in the middle of the road, but that could be the only moment he hit her though. We don't know yet. As for him responsible for Mom's death, we only heard that accusation from HJ's mouth. Since I'm only watching a translated conversation, I could be lost in the meaning, but I don't believe he hit her to death, or accidentally pushed her to cause immediate death. Someone suggested that it was possible that Mom committed suicide due to unbearable marriage relationship. I think so too. HJ was blaming Mom's death on Dad because to the young HJ (1st grader?), he was never nice to Mom, he was the source of Mom's pain and problem. And of course, no one explained to her what exactly happened.

Dad chose to walk away from arguments with his wife. People may see this as abandoning, but to me, it's his incompetence in dealing with people. An abusive/aggressive person will not leave until he dominated the situation/people. He also never abandons HJ. HJ was sent to Grandma's house at Grandma's request (towards the end of ep.1). Grandma herself didn't think much of HJ's Mom. She called her a loser. The little we know about her, she gave up going to university and cut ties with her parents. Due to love for Dad? We may never know. Dad may have grown up without a father figure too, considering the job of Halmoni when she was younger. So both of them probably love each other so much but suffer a communication break-down. Probably Mom regretted Dad not doing so well even after she gave up everything to marry her. She may have on and on expressed her disappointment and dissatisfaction, which caused Dad to spiral down into despair. Again, we may never know unless there's some kind of flashback. During the rocky times of their marriage, in Dad's low mood and despair, Stepmom perhaps took advantage to get herself married by providing console and comfort for Dad. We knew she was pretentious and fed poisonous info about HJ's behavior and attitude to Dad who was at that time always busy working to provide for the family.

After Grandma's death, HJ just left them. Dad probably couldn't find her until now, just like JH couldn't find her. Even if HJ isn't a doctor, I believe Dad will still want to reconcile with her. As for the taking over of restaurant, to me, preserving a legacy is a form of respect and love. I don't see Dad taking over the restaurant because it is doing so well and hoping to get rich or gain advantage from it. The restaurant was never that busy during Grandma's day. And the restaurant logo/brand has the sub-word "2nd generation" so they kept the original trademark as respect, not to fully take credit and advantage. We are also shown how the customers appreciate Dad and they have good relationship.

Stepmom -- an opportunist with foul mouth and mind. Not gonna waste time and effort to talk more about her.

Stepsister -- she may be the only one who knows Dad's longing heart for HJ. The look she gave her mom while she was talking tells me that she's about had it with her mom's way. I'm waiting for the day she is brave enough to shut her mom up. She knew Dad misses HJ, and probably also that he wants to make amends with her, which is why she braved herself to ask for her number from KS.

I do hope HJ will reconcile with her Dad. Otherwise, she will never be truly freed to feel happiness. We see that she does care and miss her Dad when she went to check out the restaurant at the end of ep.6. And seeing her name on the family registry tugged her heart a little.

@ktcjdrama, I quoted your comment in a spoiler to conserve space.

Father abandon Hye Jung:

In regards to the dad, I agree there is still much to be learned about him. I also get that he could be misunderstood. However, the writer is going to have to do a little rewriting to convince me that he didn't abandoned his daughter, because it's what he said when he threw her bags down in the middle of the street:

Father:  "Now this is the end for you and I."

Hye Jung:  "The day that woman came to our house was already the end for us."

Father:  "How can you address your stepmom as that 'woman'?! Because you act like that, your stepmom is scared of you!" He then gets in his truck and throws an envelop of money on the ground in front of her, "Don't come to me ever again."

If that's not a father abandoning his daughter, then I don't know what is. Also, when he found out his own mother was sick with cancer and she called him because Hye Jung had gotten in trouble and needed his help, he told his own mother when she called:

"If it's about Hye Jung, don't tell me." Grandmother then explained that she could go to prison. He said, "I don't care that she has to go to prison." After her son hung up the phone on her, she said that she was the crazy one for expecting anything from him.

The father being abusive:  

I say he and ex-wife were abusive to her and that's why she's so tough.  That's why she learned to defend for herself.  The father just didn't hit her in the truck, he kept hitting her. It also didn't seem like a first time. More than that, when the father saw bruises on his 7 or 8 year old child and did nothing, then that makes him an accomplice to his wife's abuse of her (although, I don't think he hit her too since he was upset that she would't cry). 

It also was very obvious that Hye Jung is someone who would rather be hit than have someone talk to her based in the conversation that Ji Hong had with her and the other girls from the club fight.  That shows me that she's someone who is used to being hit.

My overall view of the father from the first few episodes is that of a very selfish man who treated his wife, daughter and mother like crap and had no respect for any of them. Later in life he may have soften, realizing what he has done, but I also think the fact that she's a doctor gives him a sense of pride though he had nothing to do with her becoming one. He had actually given up on her and didn't care if she rotted in jail. 

At this point, we don't know what happened after she jumped on the bike with Soo Chul, but her father abandoned Hye Jung long before he dropped her off at his mother's house.

Hye Jung's mother: 

I found it interesting that that grandmother said that her daughter in law.

"Foolishly followed a man, quit university, severing contact with her parents, and had her husband stolen by another woman, and finally lost her sanity. Your poor utterly foolish mother."

The grandmother's words also says a lot about her her son. This is what made me wonder if the mother committed suicide or died in some sort accident of her own doing because she had lost her sanity due to her cheating husband. The fact that Hye Jung's sister is in university, it means that the two of them lived together as siblings for a while. I'm sure it was hard for Hye Jung see her sister being treated as a "precious" daughter and she was not (grandmother said she was not treated well).  

• Like 23

Just now, liz-danielle said:

Me too! But unfortunately I didn't expect this and laugh out loud right in front of colleague!!! Damn!!

LOOOLLL, he driving us crazy. He is the one who did this and he is the only one who can heal us from this craziness. :dizzy:

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, SukBin said:

2.Second YJ - the Heart fluttering Crush

the kind that makes our Heart race like a F1 Race Car...where we feel the adrenaline coursing through our veins whenever we are around that person ... where we cant shift away our gaze from them... where we want to look and behave our best in front of them and impress them... its not yet at the stage of Love but definitely we are crazy... super crazy about them...

I think I already felt that way about Yoon Kyunsang. I liked him in Pinocchio (it was like "Whoaaa!! This guy is intense" when he first appeared on screen) and now I'm definitely going crazy about Jung Yoondo-seonsaengnim. Too bad Hyejung is fixed for Jihong. It's okay, I can't complain on that.

Thank you for all of you who gave the link for the preview. I guess we can see that Jihong still finds it important in trying to impress Hyejung, but again he fails big time, lolz. 

• Like 16

I was cracking with laughter watching this teaser over and over again. I can't stop cheering JH's expression; he really wants to match up with HJ. Working this hard to sacrifice his fabulous forehead, JH yeah who won't fall in love with your expressive protective love? Don't worry you are HJ's ultimate OTP regardless of my heart being slanted a bit for the need of uri cutie YD. hahaha

• Like 16

I keep on repeating SC-HJ scene. They are both cute :wub:

Btw, episode 7 tells us that both YD and JH are not interested in politics.. so what will gonna happen if SW father will take over

Also in the preview, I feel bad for SW she's not in the party :( not invited?

• Like 10

Aaah... finally was able to watch the sub version. What a difference it makes. Last night I watched the raw and almost fell asleep, I was worried that the story became boring (then again, I watched it a 1 am in the morning after an exhausting day), but now that I understand what they were saying, I must say it again. I love it so much.

Doctors was marketed as "Healing Drama" I tried to google whether there is such genre but could not find one. So I guess it meant for a heartwarming drama that tells a story about how ones changes his/her life, grows, develops and heals from any pain from the past. But it's also supposed to give the viewers the healing effect, warming people hearts, give them hope that even people with troubled past could succeed one day.

How many times in a day do we watch news and became skeptical with the world that we live in today, we are too inundated with hypocrisy and materialism around us that we stop trusting each other and have dream and believed that someday we could achieve that dream. 

But then Hye Jung came and said: "The world is still decent, I climbed the social ladder by studying." Of course she must have studied so hard beyond normal to overcome her obstacle, but still... it can work. 

Hye Jung has a bad example of a parent and decided not to be one, that's not a good way of solving problem instead it's running away. This drama tries to tell you that, solve the problem from it's root cause not from an emotional point of view derived from hatred toward adults. Same goes with Ji Hong, he ran away from his career once, but now able to overcome it and continue it. 

That being said, this drama first and foremost is a healing drama, the action, comedy and romance is just a package to make people watch. The goal itself is to heal people, make people feels good and has hope. So critics might say that the sub-plot is weak, or Hye Jung got too many love interest, to me its all technical. Each episode that I watch, I cry and laugh with them, it made me feel good and root for the underdog. Is it cliche? Maybe... but cliche becomes cliche because it's the basic... it's what has to be in an ideal world. They can all criticised all they want (that's why they're critics and not compliment), but as a long my heart warmed from this drama, I think the writer is succeeding in achieving her goal.

So what if Hye Jung got too many admirers? I've met several people like that in real life and it's not impossible. When a girl/guy seemed to have the whole package, of course people would sympathises with him or her. Also the story is about Hye Jung, of course we would see all the people who liked her. If this drama is about Choi Kang Soo (the puppy resident), we might see a lot of girls falling for him. I know I do... kekeke... But again Hye Jung is not without flaws, she's scared and not believed in love. Nobody's perfect and I think Hye Jung too... and that's what makes her human.

Episode 7 highlight for me:

- I cried when Hye Jung said to her dad: "I don't ever want to be in a situation where I need you, that's why I decided not to get married." The look on his face, he feels guilty for making his daughter like that. 

- Anyone knows the age difference between Hye Jung and he's sister, has she being born when her dada abandoned Hye Jung? If not, maybe because he has another daughter, he reflected and felt sorry that he could not give a proper home for his older daughter.

- I guess Hye Jung's dad did not accidentally killed mom, she killed herself for being cheated on?

- Loving the bromance between Ji Hong and Yoon Do, I could see Yoon Do someday root for Ji Hong and Hye Jung.

- I kinda like Seo Woo in this episode, yes she's a princess but she doesn't take out her frustration to Hye jung because of Yoon Do's crush. But she determined to making him like her no matter what. That's a sign of maturity to me. 

- Love Soo Chul and Hye Jung together. I'm guessing they went to their separate ways after high school with Hye Jung lived with Soon Hee. Laughing about the their date in cafeteria because it's cheap and delicious. You can take a girl out of the village, but you can never take the village out of the girl. Hahaha... and it shows their camaraderie, since they use to hang out as troubled kids together.

- I got goosebumps during the accident, Hye Jung saw a lot of bad things in her life. I hope this doesn't make her crawl inside her shell again. Fearing that people who she loves are always gets into trouble and that she's a bad luck. 

This is how things have always been, Loves begat fears... and fears consumes me.

Be strong Hye Jung-a!

@Ayame love your gif, Prof. Hong caught an acute disease of skinship addiction with Hye Jung. But I find that gesture very sweet, because my husband does that all the time. Aaaww!!! kekekekeke....

That preview. Oh My God! I have them on repeat. Hopefully the rating rise again after that funny preview. 

This is even episode, it means today the point of view comes from Ji Hong. Let's see what thoughts he's bringing to us.

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, starb82 said:

Episode 7 highlight for me:

- Anyone knows the age difference between Hye Jung and he's sister, has she being born when her dada abandoned Hye Jung? If not, maybe because he has another daughter, he reflected and felt sorry that he could not give a proper home for his older daughter.

- I guess Hye Jung's dad did not accidentally killed mom, she killed herself for being cheated on?

@starb82 Sorry to cut your post, but to just answer some of your questions:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Yoo Na was born before her dad abandoned her, since if you go back to Episode 3, right after HJ's grandmother passed away, and HJ had the confrontation with her father and stepmother, HJ said, "'It's possible to die'? How could you say that? Would you say that if your daughter died?" And HJ's stepmother replies, "Why would you say that about my Yoo Na?" I'm not sure how old the sister was, but she was definitely born by that point. 

And about HJ's father, I guess when the character description says "he unintentionally injured" HJ's mother, I guess they mean in the emotional sense? Since the pain of being cheated on drove her to suicide? We'll eventually see what happened, based on the instagram update from a few weeks ago.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, angelangie said:

hahahaha i did the same like you lols....and i lost my train of concentration for my work for the rest of the last 1 hour of my times :D just imagine me looking at the times just to clock out :D:D:D real bad bad bad

OTOKEEE :D

Hahaha! Understood how you felt! Came home and the first thing I did was watch it with volume! Gah, can only imagine how the actual scene pans out in 2 hours time! :lol:

• Like 7

my pray..... "god, please no traffic... please let me arrived home on time.... pleaseee, I really wanna see Prof. Hong hong hong being fool and humiliate him self.." ;):astonished:

• Like 9

I like how this drama Doctors are going. The character shows us alot of what they each went through from childhood and how they overcome come the situations. That's make them strong. HJ has alot of painful memories and little good ones. Sometimes, I can sees that she is afraid to change because she is afraid to loose something that she values. But she is changing in somehow or rather probably of her new surrounding on how her colleague perceived her. She has no intention to hide her past and is not afraid of how her colleague think of her. Thats what makes her more attractive towards her colleague because of her straight forward. Really like her character.

SW is the only one that I see no change in her character. Like JH told her before. She has everything but yet she is still not happy or should I said that she sees herself as the center of everything and deserved it. I really doubt if she really love YD or she just doesn't want to loose him especially to HJ. That's goes the same when she likes JH at that moment as she knows that JH is popular at her school. I think she just want JH in the sense of showing off that even JH likes her. I really hate her character and the way she speak irritates me too :crazy:. She is childish enough for her age. She is smart though but used it to chased after what that does not belongs to her. Well she is still the same SW even though she is grown up and is a DR :D. I think YG is also resposible for her to act more confident in that way. YG influence her. Look at what he told SW about YD after the incident of the Boss took placed. I have the sense that YG like SW. That what I think of

Sorry for bragging. Just cannot stand the sight of SW.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Ayame said:

@starb82 Sorry to cut your post, but to just answer some of your questions:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Yoo Na was born before her dad abandoned her, since if you go back to Episode 3, right after HJ's grandmother passed away, and HJ had the confrontation with her father and stepmother, HJ said, "'It's possible to die'? How could you say that? Would you say that if your daughter died?" And HJ's stepmother replies, "Why would you say that about my Yoo Na?" I'm not sure how old the sister was, but she was definitely born by that point. 

And about HJ's father, I guess when the character description says "he unintentionally injured" HJ's mother, I guess they mean in the emotional sense? Since the pain of being cheated on drove her to suicide? We'll eventually see what happened, based on the instagram update from a few weeks ago.

Yes, it was Hye Jung's defending her mom when she said, dad killed mom. Did grand ma said mom got mental illness?

1 minute ago, ktcjdrama said:

9 years apart. HJ born in 1986, sis 1995

Ah you're right, it's in the family certificate. Thank you. I guess after Yoo Na is an adult he started to reminisced his other daughter.

• Like 6