Soompi Forums Awards: Best Daily/Weekend Dramas, C-Dramas and Best of the Rest of K-Dramas (2023) - Poll #2

partyon

Soompi Forums Awards: Best Daily/Weekend Dramas, C-Dramas and Rest of the K-Dramas (2023)   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which daily and/or weekend dramas were your favorite in 2023? (Choose as many as you like)

• Apple of My Eye
    • The Love in My Eyes
    • Meant to Be
    • The Real Has Come!
    • Three Bold Siblings
    • Vengeance of the Bride
    • Witch's Game
    • Woman in a Veil
    • None of the above / Something else
  2. 2. Which c-dramas were your favorite in 2023? (Choose as many as you like)

• Hidden Love
    • Till the End of the Moon
    • When I Fly Towards You
    • Meet Yourself
    • Stay With Me
    • Story of Kunning Palace
    • The Love You Give Me
    • A Journey to Love
    • I Am Nobody
    • Mysterious Lotus Casebook
    • Lost You Forever
    • My Journey to You
    • The Starry Love
    • Wonderland of Love
    • Back From the Brink
    • Destined
    • The Blood of Youth
    • Love You Seven Times
    • The Long Season
  3. 3. Which of these "rest of the best" k-dramas were your favorite in 2023? (Choose as many as you like)

• Black Knight
    • Boyhood
    • Oasis
    • Cold Blooded Intern
    • Delightfully Deceitful
    • Destined With You
    • Family
    • The Heavenly Idol
    • The Killing Vote
    • Longing For You
    • My Lovely Liar
    • Poong, the Joseon Psychiatrist 2
    • Queen of the Masks
    • Queenmaker
    • Shadow Detective 2
    • Song of the Bandits
    • Soundtrack 2
    • Stealer: The Treasure Keeper
    • Trolley

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/18/2024 at 02:00 PM

19 minutes ago, partyon said:

Oh, how did you like the ending of Park's Marriage Contract?

No. I did not find the whole story very interesting/well written but the couple was cute and I watched. The last two episodes left a bad taste.... I did not understand anything maybe because I used FF button a lot. :lol:

I should have voted for this drama the Most Dissapointed of the year but I voted in the poll before watching the whole drama.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

4 minutes ago, larus said:

I should have voted for this drama the Dissapointed of the year but I voted in the poll before watching the whole drama.

It wasn't included in the poll because it ended in 2024. You can vote for it in a year's time :D

I really disliked it because Joseon Tae Ha didn't get a happy ending. :kicks:

• LOL 4

1 minute ago, partyon said:

It wasn't included in the poll because it ended in 2024. You can vote for it in a year's time :D

Oh... I watched the last two episodes in 2024. I can`t say it is a 2024 drama for me but I will remember for the next poll. I hope I don`t have other dissapointing dramas in 2024.

2 minutes ago, partyon said:

I really disliked it because Joseon Tae Ha didn't get a happy ending.

Poor Joseon Tae Ha. But I did not dislike it only for that. I don`t understand why the heroine had to return to Joseon and later to come back. Unnecessary plot. I don`t understand the reason for time travelling in the first place. Time travel plot is tricky anyway. The writer has to construct the plot really carefully to make sense in the storytelling.  She travel in the future to learn what happen in the past, then travel back in the past to punished the bad people and after that travel back in the future? WTH?

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

10 hours ago, partyon said:

Sorry, chingus :tears: I researched various different sites to gain an understanding of which c-dramas were the most popular (as I don't watch them myself). To my understanding there were 578 c-dramas listed for 2023 in Mydramalist. That's a lot! (For reference, there were only 131 kdramas last year.) Unfortunately we could only include 19 in the poll....

No worries. I've noticed I tend to like the cdramas that fly more under the radar compared to the majority. It's a me thing. lol. 

• Love 3
  • Blob 1

I've just seen this now and I am BAFFLED by how little vote A Journey to Love has gotten. This drama got me hooked on Liu Yuning and Liu Shi Shi slays; in fact, everyone slays, period.

I'm in a bit of a kdrama slump this year so i did not watch too many shows, probably just some of the popular ones. So, i'm giving my vote to the only drama that i've managed to finish on the list because of rowoon. I watched my lovely liar too but can't even finished it. It was meh.

9 hours ago, partyon said:

I really disliked it because Joseon Tae Ha didn't get a happy ending.

he's probably the only case of 'second lead syndrome'-ing himself. So tragic that the future version of himself out-compete him XD

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

14 hours ago, partyon said:

My guess is that you completed 67 kdramas, 25 cdramas and 1 Japanese drama.

How did you know??!!:scream: so close!!

68 KDrama

8 CDrama (though I suspect there's more)

1 JDorama

I used mydramalist statistics for this...

• Shocked 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Blob 1

CDramas

Sunshine By My Side..

that drama was a little disappointing, but I liked the chemistry between the ML and the FL...

it was quite attractive how the ML was focused on his work...  :wub:

''rest of the best'' kdramas 

- Behind The Shadows, KBS Special Drama, BL

my fav scene with the red ribbon... :wub:

- The Heavenly Idol... the humor was the best part of the drama.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

On 1/7/2024 at 8:16 PM, partyon said:

Sorry, chingus :tears: I researched various different sites to gain an understanding of which c-dramas were the most popular (as I don't watch them myself). To my understanding there were 578 c-dramas listed for 2023 in Mydramalist. That's a lot! (For reference, there were only 131 kdramas last year.) Unfortunately we could only include 19 in the poll....

Death's Game was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

No Worries, chingu.. C-drama have too many fantasy love romance with CGI input most of the time that I did not like much as it was too unrealistic for me to watch. Thus the list that you put up in poll are not in my watched list. It is not my genre. I prefer thriller, suspense, crime, mysterious, supernatural, sci-fiction and politics background, strategic war, unexpected twist storyline, and with realistic romance are acceptable. C drama are mostly in long EP and I can follow through and complete all the EP, it means the drama must be very well-made including their acting performance are superb . hahaha, I guess our chingu @Wuzetian know my taste well :D

For K-drama love romance - i gave up a lot mainly because the plot behind is too lame. If it weren’t for the looks of the male and female protagonists, some drama would be unbearable, just to name a few - e.g. My demon, backstreet rookie, king the land...i dropped half way or fast forward. The storyline were too weak. 

For Death game - it was fantastic , worth watching. Not just for the meaningful storyline alone, also for the sake of 12 different stories that made up interesting  plots and combined with all the handsome leads that played in different characters in each story...WOW. I like the villain role played by Kim Ji-hoon, who is one of the best actors in this drama, very stylo hairstyle with his arrogant look. I found it very entertaining in EP 5, the confrontation fighting between Kim ji hoon and Kim Jae-wook, very comical,:mrgreen: although it had many bloody scenes.

For Gyeongseong Creature - I love the storyline setting during the Japanese occupation of korea in 1945. The male and female leads' love story is a romance reserved for those days and it causes you to have such tingling sensation when watching such drama, not only for the reserved romance, but also for the cruel bloody killings on human experiments of Unit 731 project carried out by the Japanese soldiers :rage:. Of course, the open ending in Season 1 heightens anticipation for the evolution of this enthralling tale. I am going to sit tight to wait for Season 2 that the story will happen in the modern days :) 

For 2024 kdrama, I hope to see more good drama with 

1. Shorter EP without having S1, S2, S3

2. Less revenge storyline (as it will lead to psychological imbalance and create more bloody scenes only)

3. More meaningful or inspirational storyline

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, SleepyKitty said:

I'm in a bit of a kdrama slump this year so i did not watch too many shows, probably just some of the popular ones. So, i'm giving my vote to the only drama that i've managed to finish on the list because of rowoon. I watched my lovely liar too but can't even finished it. It was meh.

2023 was a very meh kdrama year.... :crybaby:

Can I recommend Death's Game to you, though? Had it ended in 2023 (as originally planned), it would have been my favorite drama of the year!

:wow1:

7 hours ago, africandramalover said:

How did you know??!!:scream: so close!!

OMO! Chingu! :scream: :scream: :scream: It was a pure guess! I for sure didn't stalk your MDL page - I don't even know what your MDL account name is!

I was basing my guess on your result from the previous year.

6 hours ago, rocher22 said:

- Behind The Shadows, KBS Special Drama, BL

Oh, are there BL dramas from Korea as well nowadays? I didn't know.

I do watch Thai BL dramas from time to time, but I'm a bit sad that they have taken over Thai channels so much so that there are very few non-BL dramas airing. I love my barf lakorns, and there are hardly any barf lakorns being produced anymore.

:smashes:

3 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

For Death game - it was fantastic , worth watching. Not just for the meaningful storyline alone, also for the sake of 12 different stories that made up interesting  plots and combined with all the handsome leads that played in different characters in each story...WOW. I like the villain role played by Kim Ji-hoon, who is one of the best actors in this drama, very stylo hairstyle with his arrogant look. I found it very entertaining in EP 5, the confrontation fighting between Kim ji hoon and Kim Jae-wook, very comical,:mrgreen: although it had many bloody scenes.

Ep 5 was my favorite too! Sooooo good! Kim Jae Wook was placed on my oppa list after that episode.... He's a hot ahjussi oppa. :love:

eeca5c5d484e826d6bfc16a8169a3a4b1b9faebf

3 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

2. Less revenge storyline (as it will lead to psychological imbalance and create more bloody scenes only)

Again, stay away from Thai lakorns. :loolz:

11 hours ago, SleepyKitty said:

he's probably the only case of 'second lead syndrome'-ing himself. So tragic that the future version of himself out-compete him XD

This ! :unamused:

Meme GIF by The BarkPost

cr. to owners

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, partyon said:

Can I recommend Death's Game to you, though? Had it ended in 2023 (as originally planned), it would have been my favorite drama of the year!

I was planning to watch it, but then I heard that it was split into 2 parts so i'm waiting for the 2nd part to drop so i can binge the whole thing. Has it dropped yet?

Wait, it has! Okay then brb!

• Awesome 3

On 1/7/2024 at 2:54 PM, larus said:

I finished today School 2013 and Story of Park's Marriage Contract. 

About the poll.

1)I did not watch any daily or weekend drama this year (I never watched a daily and rarely a family drama).

2) I watched only one Cdrama this year:  Reset (2022)

I feel like School 2013 should be required viewing for anyone who thinks they're going to teach in a high school. Also, that drama was my introduction to Korean poetry and erm, apparently I'm supporting the industry now, if you look at my bookshelves. :D

Loved Reset!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Checking out the "Rest of the Best" there were some dramas I enjoyed.

Oasis was interesting drama, but then it started following the typical kdrama plots with a lot of things going in loop, 2nd ML and ML fighting each other, but then caring about each other as well. Overall, it was fine, but I still count it as another drama with potential to be good but not being as good as it could. 

Killing Vote, well, this drama was very interesting, had me guessing who the killer would be, had a couple of right guesses, had some wrong. But this too, at the end felt a bit draggy, they could have ended it a bit earlier, but then they decided to add some extra scenes, kill some good characters who didn't really require to be killed. But yeah, I did enjoy the drama. I think what really hurt this drama's viewership and ratings was the number of gaps we got in between eps, like they were airing 1 ep per week, and then the episodes were not aired for about 2-3 weeks twice which I think would lead to viewers losing interest to it. Anyway, overall a good watch for me. 

The one I really enjoyed and loved the most was Song of Bandits. This was very a good action drama, the action scenes were very well choreographed, and the storyline was pretty straight to follow. The cast list was really very good, and I liked how they ended the drama leaving some room left for the 2nd season. I would love to see a 2nd season for that!

Trolley started off pretty well as well, and I think overall it was a good drama. But yeah, not the best for me this year. I think I would go with "Song of Bandits" being the best for me among the ones I watched from "Rest of the Best" list.

4 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I feel like School 2013 should be required viewing for anyone who thinks they're going to teach in a high school. Also, that drama was my introduction to Korean poetry and erm, apparently I'm supporting the industry now, if you look at my bookshelves. :D

I loved School 2013! Watched it mainly because Jang Nara was the FL there, but stayed for the plot! What I really liked about School 2013 is that they focused on the students' struggles, with very less or no romance (I watched it long ago) plotline involved between the students, and teachers having a big part in the drama. 

Not really sure if other School Series dramas were the same, since I didn't watch them. So maybe you can help me with that in case you have watched them. But I did enjoy School 2013 a lot!

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Not really sure if other School Series dramas were the same, since I didn't watch them. So maybe you can help me with that in case you have watched them. But I did enjoy School 2013 a lot!

Aside from 2013, I've only seen School 2017. It had a more central plotline. I did like it as well, but it was just a very different kind of story. The 2nd lead from Crash Landing is the lead here. He does a good job.

The other drama that comes to mine that IS in the vein of School 2013 is Moment of Eighteen. (This is the drama I watched after Strong Girl Namsoon, suggested to me by Netflix because they have the same male lead. I was really blown away by Ong Seung Woo's acting in it and then felt doubly disappointed by Strong Girl, as he can ACT and was sorely underutilized.) It's about the difficult times of both students and teachers, and I enjoyed it a lot. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Everyone, there is still time left to vote!

Lets Go Running GIF by The Adventures of Pete & Pete

Let us know which c-dramas and daily/weekend dramas were your favorite last year!

And of course the remaining best of the rest kdramas.

:ok:

@maribella @youngae @SC2019 @SilverDawn @liyahsbutterfly @Wuzetian @kboramint @backstreetboysfan @yamiyugi @joccu @tulip06 @UnniSarah @Ldy Gmerm @ElleSor @a_tumiwa @Don Yu @sadthe1st @larus @sweetroad @ferily @booha @dramaninja  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Blob 1

hohstMN.gif

Best Daily/Weekend Dramas, C-Dramas and Best of the Rest of K-Dramas (2023) - Poll #2

.... and the winners are.... <insert drum rolls here>....

Best Daily or Weekend Drama (2023)

The Real Has Come!

The_Real_Has_Come!_poster.jpg

This weekend drama delivered it all: an unplanned pregnancy, chaebol doctor, fake marriage contract, love triangle!

Best C-drama (2023)

Hidden Love

AAAABUDWIoTxfNDZGp8HWeoMtsZpArcuY7Guc_6G

The biggest hit of the year. Girl falls in love with older brother's best friend.

Best of the rest k-drama (2023)

Destined With You

Destined_With_You.jpg

It's about a forbidden book we hear.

Thank you all for voting for the best dramas of 2023. Stay tuned for a new event soon. :kiss_wink:

tagging: @lilian c @africandramalover @backstreetboysfan @TheQueenReturns @mersea545 @gm4queen @Ameera Ali @hyall @Lmangla @LeftCoastOppa @cikqueen @kokodus @MayanEcho @willenette @YongZura⁷ @rocher22 @leo2020 @kingpin @rocat @Nermeen نرمين @itsmeash @Nikaa @frozentundra @liddi @lebeaucouple @a_tumiwa @mktgkat @larus @R89CuteSmile @andy78 @SleepyKitty @usadango @whome @azwhoony @Corina @asiaren @mademoisellesia @Wuzetian @Rollito Deprimavera   

re: @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart @agenth

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1