[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

tompark

1 hour ago, IBELIS said:

This is an outstanding piece of work, and everyone is playing their part to perfection. All of the actors are giving stellar performances with their characters. I hate women like the mom, first they get pregnant trying to trap a man and when that doesn't work they abuse their children to satisfy a man. Any one with half a brain could see that this guy had some serious issues.

I need to comment on that garbage bag deal, I kept wondering when the mom got all frantic because her daughter wasn't in the house ,why she was acting the way she was considering she had beat the kid and left her in a garbage bag at the curb.did she seriously expect to find her doing homework in front of the tv? I did think she should take a picture of the kid in the bag so she would have proof of how she found her. Can they even charge her with kidnapping considering the mother tried to get money to keep from reporting her? I would think it was more a rescue than a kidnapping. 

@IBELIS, you basically raised the same questions I had. I too wish that she had taken a picture of Hye Na in the garbage bag. I also wish that she recorded her conversations with Hye Na's mom. I actually feel that JS did't kidnap HN, but instead rescued her from sure death.

@bedifferent, currently this is the only drama I'm watching too--it keeps pulling at my emotions. However, this weekend another drama is starting that I want to watch so we'll see. 

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are four episodes left, right? I wonder what they are going to do, now that oppa is out of the picture. 

I love this drama, but one thing that I have to nit-pick: why on earth did LBY's character sit down and let herself get tied up?? Was that part of her distraction plan? Initially I thought the doctor was only backup in case she couldn't get YB out of there. But...maybe it was ALL part of the plan?? Kinda terrifying, though...

I LOVE it that the doctor knocked him out with a statue of Mary, though. Lol. Every mother in that place is out to save that little girl! 

And that actress who plays the little girl. Whoa. I am so impressed. 

1 hour ago, lclarakl said:

Another great episode that pulls at my heart and leaves me wondering what is going to happen next. I will save my more detailed comments for later. However, one thing I want to talk about is the actor playing Seol Ak. He played his character so well....believable.  I was very happy that at the end of ep 12, the production company (first time I've seen this happens) included behind the scene clips between him and the young actress playing Hye Na. They also went a long way in describing the interactions between.

I think this was very important for people to see that the actor is playing a character and he and the little actress get along very well together. I love that the production company knew this drama would stir strong emotions in people. I also think they did this because the actor probably was receiving death threats.  People need to see the real life side of him--I did.  Great actor. I hope I see him again in another drama. However, for now glad Hye Na doesn't have to worry about him.

YES. I was wondering what they were doing to do with 4 minutes left on the recording, and yet the episode was done... It was a pleasant surprise to see some friendly and happy bts. Cause that guy...he did a fantastic acting job, and was SUPER creepy. And I'm glad to see that the little girl didn't seem frightened out of her wits! (Although once you strip away the camera filters and the editing and the scary music, you remove a lot of elements that weren't there in the initial filming.) But yeah...I think it was important to show a difference between the characters and the real people playing them. 

One more thing: it's a very cool linguistic coincidence that owls say "whoo" in English and "doogoo" in Korean. That two languages would happen to have words that sound like the owl sound and that even mean the same thing, when the languages are not related at all. I should probably learn the adult word for "owl" in Korean, but "doogoo sae" is going to stick with me. :)

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

@stroppyse I am watching this drama, behind only at episode 9.  It's good but prepare tissues.  It's the only drama I am watching at the moment.  Stellar cast, hard to watch at some moments.  I love the little girl who plays Hye Na.  I need to catch up

@triplem as a mom, it will resonate with you :)

Argghhh! I don’t know if I can afford that many tissues!  Abused children and pets are my weak spots. Basically, they’re all helpless and defenseless, and at the mercy of those who are older and stronger. They don’t even know how to ask for help or to defend themselves. It has LBY in it, so I’m sure it’s good. Just have to prepare myself for heartwrenching.

Like some of you, I'm just catching up and have enjoyed the 6 episodes I've watched.  It's more of an artistic gem with strong performances and a serious message that sets it apart from the usual fluff.  I'm amazed at the little girls' coping skills after being in such a toxic home,  and how seemingly well adjusted she is compared to the abusive boyfriend who turned out to be a horrible adult.  Anyway, I enjoy your comments.

7 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I love this drama, but one thing that I have to nit-pick: why on earth did LBY's character sit down and let herself get tied up?? Was that part of her distraction plan? Initially I thought the doctor was only backup in case she couldn't get YB out of there. But...maybe it was ALL part of the plan?? Kinda terrifying, though...

7 hours ago, frozentundra said:

YES. I was wondering what they were doing to do with 4 minutes left on the recording, and yet the episode was done... It was a pleasant surprise to see some friendly and happy bts. Cause that guy...he did a fantastic acting job, and was SUPER creepy. And I'm glad to see that the little girl didn't seem frightened out of her wits! (Although once you strip away the camera filters and the editing and the scary music, you remove a lot of elements that weren't there in the initial filming.) But yeah...I think it was important to show a difference between the characters and the real people playing them. 

@frozentundra, Yes, yes, yes! I was thinking the same thing. Why in the world is JS letting herself be tied up. I think the only reason she allowed it was because she knew the doctor was coming in through the secret passage. I wanted SA to face a court of law and be held accountable for her crimes. Again, I have to say that the actor did a great job, because he made me nervous.

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Argghhh! I don’t know if I can afford that many tissues!  Abused children and pets are my weak spots. Basically, they’re all helpless and defenseless, and at the mercy of those who are older and stronger. They don’t even know how to ask for help or to defend themselves. It has LBY in it, so I’m sure it’s good. Just have to prepare myself for heartwrenching.

@stroppyse, I truly understand what you mean. I'm the same woman who had an out of body experience and found myself yelling at a mother in a department store for yelling strong profanity at her 2 or 3 year old son who was walking behind her--his little legs could only go so fast. I'm from the "old school" that believe parents should  discipline their children, but not abused nor mistreated. Seeing the way the mother was speaking to a small child.....before I could stop myself, words were tumbling out of my mouth.."Stop yelling and cussing at him! He's a baby! What kind of man are you molding your son to be when he grows up? You have the power to help shape him, what are you shaping him to be?........?  The woman and her girlfriend were shocked (and so was I when I realized what I had just done), but she then walked back and took his hand and walked away, not saying a word.

I can honestly say that this drama breaks my heart at times, but there is something so moving that I want to watch more. The writer has truly shown mothers in many different facets. Although LBY is superb in this drama, all of the cast has been awesome. But, I'm blown away by the young actress--she hit all the right notes. She's wise beyond years. This little girl should win an award. The guy playing the creepy boyfriend has also down a wonderful job. I was happy they took the last 4 minutes of ep 12 to show behind the scene clips of him and the young actress being playful together between takes. I can't wait to see how this will end.

4 hours ago, msmy said:

Like some of you, I'm just catching up and have enjoyed the 6 episodes I've watched.  It's more of an artistic gem with strong performances and a serious message that sets it apart from the usual fluff.  I'm amazed at the little girls' coping skills after being in such a toxic home,  and how seemingly well adjusted she is compared to the abusive boyfriend who turned out to be a horrible adult.  Anyway, I enjoy your comments.

@msmy, I love the way you described this drama--you nailed it!  Although it's dealing with abuse, there is a beauty to this drama--love and strong when things are dark.  I think the reason HN is able to cope is because she's always had to be the voice of reason around her mother, I also think that JS came into her life at the right time--before her toxic life could bring her down.

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

chingus, if you need a break from the tissues with this drama, come play OTP bingo with the community. :) 

@Lmangla, I've not heard of OTP bingo, so I will have to check it out. In regards to this drama, yes there are tears, but there is so much more. So far, this drama has not left me in a dark place like the movie Silence did. This movie has me rooting for the characters and what the strong bond of love between a mother and daughter/son should be.

I'm truly loving this drama. Each week, I can't believe an hour has past and now I have to wait again for the next episode. 

Dr. Jung has got to be the best guy EVER. For putting his life and job on the line, all for a woman and a child (that's not his btw) he's a keeper. There better be wedding bells for Soojin/Dr. Jung I tell ya! Oh the younger guy detective is kind of hot LoL:tongue: Hyena's Mom continues to be insufferable:crazy: She just has to point out that Soojin is an actress' daughter every chance she gets:angry: If that's not pettiness I don't know what is.

Love how the monk looked out for Soojin... I really hope the detectives let Soojin go. There're honestly much worse, awful criminals out there that get off scot-free. No wonder there's little faith the public has on law enforcement. 

That was too easy how Seolak the perpetrator got off.. he should've been dragged to a prison cell to rot for the rest of his life together with that witch. God I hate it whenever she keeps calling for her Oppa~:rolleyes: I wonder what was written in that crumpled up note Hyena's Mom placed on the car window as she was sent to jail?? 

Can anyone please tell me or find the name of the young boy who plays Seol-ak as a child???  I was blown away by his acting and fell completely in love with him!  I would love to find out his name?  (The young actor who plays Seol- Ak as a boy, in episode 11???)  Thanks!

Guest airgelaal
On 01.03.2018 at 10:24 AM, lclarakl said:

Just wanted to put this one on your radar.

Turkish version was on my radar from the start, so I, of course, was interested in korean version.

So sad, that I havn't any time now to watch either of versions.

33 minutes ago, airgelaal said:

Turkish version was on my radar from the start, so I, of course, was interested in korean version.

So sad, that I havn't any time now to watch either of versions.

Turkish version too? I know there is a Japanese version. After this one, I think I want to check out the others. I'm not glutting for punishment, but I love the message that just because you gave birth to a child doesn't necessarily make you a mother. This one is so well written and acted that now I want to see other versions.

@Sharon Goe, I want to name of the little boy too; I couldn't find his name on anything. Although his scene wasn't long, it was powerful. I felt the relief after seeing the food that his "good" mother was back; but then the realization that she wasn't coming back. I felt sorry for the child SA, but not the grown man. Although, in ep 12 we realize that this child had grown into a man still suffering from his youth.

I'm glad that the production team showed behind the scene clips of the actor playing the abusive boyfriend. It seems like they all got alone really well.  I like how the little actress called him "Uncle" in the behind the scene clips--but she's all playful.  I didn't realize it, but he had more scenes with her than any other actor/actress in this drama.  I know this is going to sound weird, but watching this clip makes me miss the actor--or maybe the character?

Also, I couldn't help but notice how cold it must have been while they were filming...OMG!

1. While I resisted Seol-Ak's humanization, I have to admit that it added to the story.

Seol-Ak blamed himself for his mother's suicide, and believed that if he had died, she would have lived. So his excuse for killing children is that they are his proxy - unloved children whose deaths would prevent their mother's death.

His description of the mothers who cried after their children died - they wept, but their eyes were smiling - was genuinely chilling.

Obviously, Seol-Ak deserved to burn. (which he did, literally) But that was a interesting pathology, even though you always expect a murderer to have some kind of backstory.

And high-five to the actor for a great job. I also loved that they included some behind-the-scenes footage of the actor to mitigate that evil image. It was also nice to see the actress playing Hye-na smiling and being happy.

2. Ja-Young. Man, this actress is going to need some image-rehab, too. THIS AWFUL WOMAN. She seems irredeemable in every episode, but then she outdoes herself.

3. There are still 4 episodes left (hurry!) but there is still a lot left to unpack.

a. Yi-Jin. Well, I thought her ill-intentioned call to the police would end up helping Soo-Jin somehow, but it turns out, it only screwed her more. That's our Yi-Jin for you. Ha.

There is no doubt that the reason Soo-Jin kept running away from home is at least partly because Yi-Jin was a jealous bully.

b. Hyun-Jin. Well, what are you doing to do now, Reporter Sister? Can't hide your true identity forever.

c. Thanks to her not-helpful sisters plastering her face all over the media, Soo-Jin can't get away. Just leaving the country won't be enough - unless she moves into a cave where there is no internet and never leaves. So that's going to have to be sorted out.

d. I can't believe Ja-Young actually accused Soo-Jin of murdering Seol-Ak. Crazy witch. Thank goodness the detectives were there - they know Soo-Jin didn't kill him.

e. Reckoning! Ja-Young belongs in jail. Hye-Na heard what she said on the phone. Sure hope Young-Shin recorded their phone conversation. Korean phones can do that. (U.S. phones cannot.)

f. Seok-Ak's other murders need to be uncovered. Where's that other teacher with all the evidence?

Anyway, lots of stuff to fill the next 4 episodes. Can't wait.

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2018] Mother, 마더 - Wed & Thu @ 21:30 PM KST

tumblr_p51pwq9bwX1sdmcn4o2_540.gif

tumblr_p51pwq9bwX1sdmcn4o3_540.gif

tumblr_p51pwq9bwX1sdmcn4o4_540.gif

I’d like it if I could be a boy. One that is okay with being a bit dirty and doesn’t cry even when he’s in pain.

our tomboy YB does not  want to be a princess

credits@seunrig

Spoiler

ppl just started hearing about mother like now , 

why ? cause some kpop star Seungkwan  is singing the fifth part of the OST ... its in the preview>> he says he sang in the OST cause he loves his mom or something.

TRAGIC that we need a kpop singer to let ppl know about a masterpiece

tumblr_p4wcj8yzbT1sdmcn4o1_400.gif

tumblr_p4wcj8yzbT1sdmcn4o4_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p4wcj8yzbT1sdmcn4o3_r4_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_p4wcj8yzbT1sdmcn4o5_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p4wcj8yzbT1sdmcn4o9_r2_400.gif

tumblr_p4wcj8yzbT1sdmcn4o7_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p4wcj8yzbT1sdmcn4o8_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p4wcj8yzbT1sdmcn4o6_r2_400.gif

tumblr_p4wcj8yzbT1sdmcn4o10_r2_400.gif

And the next morning, I felt that Good Mom would definitely be there, but…

credits@seunrig

On 3/1/2018 at 2:24 AM, lclarakl said:

Shout out to @evie7, @bebebisous33, @hibiscus23, @sava2sava @tinatrix236 @Ldy Gmerm @USAFarmgirl @vally38 @stroppyse @booho @larus @enigmatic_zephy @b4l01 @jongski @Ayame @bukk1 @Triton823 @mywebfoot @ahhhjummahhhjo @30somethingajumma @zagigirl @triplem @irilight @jadecloud @andy78 @Lmangla @chubbychub1966 @trust71 @drmjs @alleram95 @airgelaal @haymochi @suchadiva42 @ina111 @awsparkle @LavelyShai @zenya22 @xxxzxxx @sadiesmith@Scribbles24 @Kasmic

If you're not watching now , please put this drama on your "To Watch List" for later-- I was going to avoid this drama because I don't like seeing children mistreated.  Against my better judgement, I began watching this drama.  However, I can honestly say that I've NEVER watched a drama that makes me feel the emotions I'm experiencing--so well written and the acting is superb. 

This drama has a strong message regarding the different "kinds/types" of mothers. I truly feel like I'm sitting on the edge of my seat each episode, wondering what is going to happen next.

Hello everyone! Hi! @lclarakl Thanks for your shoutout. 

About Mother, oh yes, I'm watching this awesome drama. Just haven't been on soompi lately and so no postings here. But, frankly, between reaching for the tissue boxes and trying to keep sane, it's a huge task to post here too. LOL. Perhaps I will. Love this K-adaptation. Funny how even though I've watched the original Japanese version, and hence sort of know the development, I'm still hanging onto every cliffhanger ending of every episode. Lee Bo Young and Heo Yool are very good. Lee Jae Yoon, Lee Hye Young and others too are good. 

Of course, like you've posted, the subject matter is brilliantly presented. It's a shoutout for mothers, yet at the same time, a shaming of mothers. It's also a good magnifying glass on the seemingly eternal societal issue of abuse. When can humankind get rid of this trash(abuse)? It's seemingly cyclical and never-ending. And, aish, mothers do play a big part as well, just as mothers are the biggest group of victims. How ironical! Brings back fond memories of the heady days of live-streaming of My Love Eun Dong and I Have A Lover, etc., which also highlighted the issue of abuse. 

Another awesome current drama is Misty. If you or others are not watching it, do that now or soon. Kim Nam Joo and Ji Jin Hee are superb! And I love the plot and the pace. The suspense and unpredictability too. Everything about it so far is just beyond good! Just as Mother is. We need more of such caliber of dramas, don't we? :) 

7 hours ago, jadecloud said:

Another awesome current drama is Misty. If you or others are not watching it, do that now or soon. Kim Nam Joo and Ji Jin Hee are superb! And I love the plot and the pace. The suspense and unpredictability too. Everything about it so far is just beyond good! Just as Mother is. We need more of such caliber of dramas, don't we? :) 

@jadecloud, I'm happy to hear you to watch this drama. I haven't watched the Japanese version of this drama, but it is on my  "To Watch" list. This drama is very well written and acted.

"Misty" and "Child of a Lesser God" are on my radar to start watching this week--both dramas have my favorite male actors. I'm glad to hear that "Misty" has the thumbs up from you.

See you soon.

tumblr_p4wltp9kz01uw4wlvo1_540.png

tumblr_p4wltp9kz01uw4wlvo2_540.png

tumblr_p4wltp9kz01uw4wlvo3_540.png

Spoiler

tumblr_p4wltp9kz01uw4wlvo4_540.png

tumblr_p4wltp9kz01uw4wlvo5_540.png

I like how the motherhood theme includes the men as well , the waY Dr is attracted to SJ is for a lot of reasons but its all somehow connected to the way he feels about his mother ... even though he is too perfect as a character the idea that the way a mother raises a son and how he is attached to her effects him , here we see in a positive light 

while we see the other side in SS ...

Related image

if you cry you die... the sentence he last heard from his mother turned into a deadly rule he lived by till the end

however , this does not justify anything ... as YB is an example of how abuse can be make a person more sympathetic and deep... 

and btw whos been sending this poor guy death threats 

like who is even watching the show in korea except women and mostly older ones !!!

WEIRDOS   

interview with the actor who played SA ... he turns out to be a new actor ? great casting from this PD

mother11-1200266.jpg

Q: You debuted in national drama with 'Mother'.
SSK: I am happy because I feel like I made the idealistic debut any actor dreams of. Most of all, after watching the reaction from mother viewers who have children, I feel like I made some contribution on a page of views on social issues so I feel proud and grateful.

Q: What was the reaction after the broadcast?
SSK: Seol-ak is a character who commits the terrible acts, but I didn't try to portray him just scary. There are not many people who recognize me yet, but I remember one time there was a man who got off from his car while driving and chased me. It turned out that we were same age. He said I was not scary at all in person, and we shake hands and took pictures which made me happy.

Q: Which part you paid the most attention to play Seol-ak character?
SSK: I tried to be immersed in any situation I was in. While filming I often felt that a child who could never grow up is stuck inside the grown man named Seol-ak.
Q: How was the set atmosphere?
SSK: Yeol followed me well. I saw some people worried about acting for tormenting scenes, but actually set atmosphere was not heavy at all. I was nervous when we filmed the scene in the first episode where I had to grip small kid's thin neck. I felt Goosebumps and it was hard for me mentally. I was worried if Yeol would be ok, but she was more professional than me. Yeol is more cheerful child than any child I know.

Q: What is the scene you remember the most?
SSK: I remember I was sitting in the truck a lot. I don't drive (just have the license), so I was happy I could improve my driving skills this time.
Q: One word for Hyena (who plays Yeol)?
SSK: Hyena-ya. I hope you grow up cool and become great mom.

Q:How do you feel now that you finished filming.
SSK: 'Mother' gave me the opportunity to learn about acting and life. It was my happiness for last few months showing the result of filming hard to the viewers and sharing the feedback. I have not read the scripts from the point SA died. I plan to watch the rest of story as a viewer feeling anxious. I am very grateful that our production team could work with the pride "We are making a well-made drama" thanks to the cheers from the viewers.

SOME BITS

▲ tvN 수목드라마 '마더' 박호산x이보영x허율x정지훈

기사의 본문상단 이미지

On 3/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, lclarakl said:

Shout out to @evie7, @bebebisous33, @hibiscus23, @sava2sava @tinatrix236 @Ldy Gmerm @USAFarmgirl @vally38 @stroppyse @booho @larus @enigmatic_zephy @b4l01 @jongski @Ayame @bukk1 @Triton823 @mywebfoot @ahhhjummahhhjo @30somethingajumma @zagigirl @triplem @irilight @jadecloud @andy78 @Lmangla @chubbychub1966 @trust71 @drmjs @alleram95 @airgelaal @haymochi @suchadiva42 @ina111 @awsparkle @LavelyShai @zenya22 @xxxzxxx @sadiesmith@Scribbles24 @Kasmic

If you're not watching now , please put this drama on your "To Watch List" for later-- I was going to avoid this drama because I don't like seeing children mistreated.  Against my better judgement, I began watching this drama.  However, I can honestly say that I've NEVER watched a drama that makes me feel the emotions I'm experiencing--so well written and the acting is superb. 

This drama has a strong message regarding the different "kinds/types" of mothers. I truly feel like I'm sitting on the edge of my seat each episode, wondering what is going to happen next.

Thanks for the shout out. I've heard that it's a good drama...i'll put this drama on my  "To Watch List" for later... right now i'm not feeling very well...my mother died on 17 January 2018...Last drama i watched was Witch's Court....after that i found about  my mother's terminal illness...so you can imagine...

Archived