[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

tompark

7 hours ago, partyon said:

Hi guys! I am new on this thread (was in a drama slump for almost 2 years, I'm back now) :) Sorry for being so late to actually contribute to this thread.

@partyon, Hello! It's been a while!! I was happy to see you on this thread. This is a small, slow thread of people who have truly been enjoying this drama. Since you've been away awhile, here are a couple of dramas I think you will enjoy if you haven't watched already

Spoiler
  • Because this is My First Life
  • Third Rate My Way aka Fight My Way
  • Doctors
  • Descendants of the Sun
  •  

These are all dramas that I really couldn't complain about the writing.

7 hours ago, partyon said:

I love the way the show depicts love and goodness in people. So many people impact a child in so many ways without having to be the child's parent. Kind of like the saying "it takes a village to a raise a child". Soo-jin had so many people around her that formed her into a good adult. Hye-na is on the same path.

That's what I love about this drama. Not only does it show the horror some children face, but it also shows the unconditional love of others.  I really enjoyed ep 15. Soo Jin's biological mother knew that her adoptive mother would have wanted to see pictures of Soo Jin when she was a baby. Tears were rolling.  

I can't say it enough, this is a great drama.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, i never watched it since the beginning cause i was afraid of the japanese ending. I've been watching the last few episodes since i heard alot about the drama and i was curious of it. Anyway, Yoon Book suffers alot through the episode by not being able to be by SJ side.  SJ tries to convince the woman to let her adopt YB. The family that want to adopt her, returns her cause she gave them a note. I think it said : please return me back, i already have a mother.

The woman in charge of the children read the book i think describing the case and changes her mind. YB is reunited with SJ. They go to a place where YB had buried a treasure box with some stuff that have the memories of her and SJ.

They meet up with SJ sisters, sisters children and SJ bio mom. They have a good time reuniting with YB. SJ youngest sister does a reportage on the adoption i think. interviewing her sisters, SJ bio mom and Yoon Book. We see it broadcasted on television. several different people watch it like HJ bio dad and the doctor. Several scenes with SJ and YB spending time together talking. Really a beatiful ending. I will definitely start watching it from the beginning.

K-Drama Reaction: Mother | Episode 13

picsart_03-15-10-56-43.png?w=816

Date: March 15, 2018 Author: busyahjussi

How can I write this reaction when I’m sobbing so hard right now? You guys shouldn’t watch this in public or you’ll end up looking like a mess. Okay, let’s a take deep breath and do this.

You know the saying “the calm before the storm?” That perfectly defines this episode. Soo-jin (Lee Bo-young) and Yoon Bok/Hye-na were able to spend time together in Nami Island as they thought about what to do next. They’ve stumbled a new set of Good Samaritans in the persons of a father and child who lost their wife and mother to ovarian cancer. I particularly like how Soo-jin could relate to the story of the man’s wife about her having the child amid the hardest time in her life. And what came as just an ordinary encounter turned out an opportunity to finally get to Iceland. I was nervously waiting whether or not the man would decide to turn Soo-jin and was so relieved that he helped the two escape.

picsart_03-15-10-54-53.png?w=616

picsart_03-15-10-54-33.png?w=616

FULL: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2018/03/15/k-drama-reaction-mother-episode-13/

I only watched the last section of the Japanese version where SJ must have been separated from YB until she was 18 (?), legal age, and then they were reunited.  In the Japanese version, SJ mused that they would be reunited one day, just like she and her mother were after 30 years.  The last scene showed 2 obscured adults, one older and one young lady in very high heels.  That was their reunion.

So it sounds like the Korean remake took some liberties and changed the ending, which is O.K., too.  I've enjoyed this artistic performance.

I cannot even. I couldn't wait, I watched it without subs. (I can understand a little bit on my own.) I have completely used up my tear ducts on this drama! So, so, SO good. I hope many people see it and are touched. Lifetime performance from LBY. And that little girl--well, I'll be watching for her. But really, the script, the acting, the cinematograpy, the music...there are not words to say what a fine job they did on this one. 

More tears in ep.15...:tears: the whole birth secret thing was sooo...left field but heck what is a K-Drama without a few tropes thrown here & there:rolleyes: I just assumed that both Hyun-Jin & Yi-Jin knew they were adopted. And that Ahjusshi was Hyun-Jin's real Dad WTF!?! No wonder Yi-Jin acted like an entitled brat! She really thought she was her Mom's real daughter. Yoon-Bok/Hye-Na was adorable when she jumped up & down upon reaching Soo-Jin's place..she was like a bunny LoL. I like the heart-to-heart talk between Soo-Jin's Mom and real Mom...aish why must she die?! I wonder though, why is it she never adopted boys?? Is it a preference or she has something against guys LoL? 

It's heartbreaking that the laws that should help keep the peace is somehow causing the opposite-_-<_< I like how the drama stresses that a mother is not just because she gave birth but that she provides, loves and protects. 

With one ep. left the question still begs :- Will Hye-Na and Soo-Jin ever be reunited again?  

“Mother” Achieves Highest-Ever Ratings With Finale, Takes No. 1 In Time Slot

Mother-1.jpg

tvN’s “Mother” has ended with a bang!

The drama achieved a new personal best with its finale on March 15, which scored average viewership ratings of 5 percent and a peak of 6 percent. Not only did “Mother” record its highest ratings ever, it also won first place in its time slot across all channels, including both cable and public broadcast networks.

The show also claimed first place across all channels for the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored an average rating of 2.4 percent and a peak of 2.8 percent.

Congratulations to “Mother” on a successful conclusion!

https://www.soompi.com/2018/03/15/mother-achieves-highest-ever-ratings-finale-takes-no-1-time-slot/

After watching episode 16, I can honestly say that this is one of the best dramas that I've ever watched. It's on my re-watch list. This drama pulls at your heart, but not in a way that fills you with overwhelming dread---there is always this line of "hope" that you feel with each episode.  The love expressed in this drama is so beautiful. Definitely on my list of all time favorite dramas.

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2018] Mother, 마더
12 hours ago, lclarakl said:

After watching episode 16, I can honestly say that this is one of the best dramas that I've ever watched. It's on my re-watch list. This drama pulls at your heart, but not in a way that fills you with overwhelming dread---there is always this line of "hope" that you feel with each episode.  The love expressed in this drama is so beautiful. Definitely on my list of all time favorite dramas.

I'll have to second that.  The writer so brilliantly stuck to the motherhood theme, what it meant to be a mother, and the memories a child receives from their mother.  There was never a "veering off" of that theme with romantic relationships and other scenarios that come with the  other fluffy, silly dramas we usually get.  I know some people were pulling for the handsome doctor to make some headway, but that wasn't important in this story.  And it wasn't about sons, it was about women.... being a daughter and being a mother,  and the strong bonds that are created.

K-Drama Reaction: Mother | Episode 14

picsart_03-16-09-01-46.png?w=816

Date: March 16, 2018 Author: busyahjussi

That was fast! I expected for the court proceedings to last for at least two episodes but we’ve got all the court drama and rulings all in one go.

I was feeling frustrated at first watching Ja-young (Go Sung-hee) gained the upper hand in the trial. We’ve got all the witnesses to testify on the violence and neglect she committed against Hye-na (Heo Yool) but she and her defense lawyer knew how to make every testimony work in her favor. But that’s what not bothered the most, it was her ability to make herself believe that she’s indeed the victim in all that’s happened. I was infuriated when she tried to justify her action of demanding money in exchange for Hye-na’s life as a way of taking a revenge against Soo-jin and her family when she herself knew the fact that it was not that case. So I was happy that Cha Young-shin (Lee Hye-young) slapped on her face the fact that a child is not a mother’s property and that trying to use Hye-na as a pawn for revenge made her nothing less than an animal.

FULL: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2018/03/16/k-drama-reaction-mother-episode-14/

its a feat to achieve an amazing remake that is a drama on its own... its true that it shares general story line and major scenes but in characterization and direction and themes holds its own ... while the acting and production and music makes it a masterpiece  classic in its own right.

tumblr_p5nwor9Uiw1sdmcn4o3_r1_400.giftumblr_p5nwor9Uiw1sdmcn4o1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p5nwor9Uiw1sdmcn4o4_r1_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_p5nwor9Uiw1sdmcn4o10_r2_400.giftumblr_p5nwor9Uiw1sdmcn4o2_r2_400.gif

tumblr_p5nwor9Uiw1sdmcn4o7_r1_400.giftumblr_p5nwor9Uiw1sdmcn4o9_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p5nwor9Uiw1sdmcn4o8_r1_400.giftumblr_p5nwor9Uiw1sdmcn4o5_r1_400.gif

Even if I start calling you Yoon Bok now, you can’t become Yoon Bok immediately. You’ll become Yoon Bok bit by bit. I probably won’t be able to become Yoon Bok’s mom immediately, either. But, bit by bit, I will become her, I think. Then, one day you will become Yoon Bok and I’ll become Yoon Bok’s mom. Don’t you think so?

credits@

tumblr_p5lyurHjWi1sdmcn4o2_r1_540.gif

tumblr_p5lyurHjWi1sdmcn4o1_540.gif

tumblr_p5lyurHjWi1sdmcn4o5_r1_540.gif

Goodbye world. Goodbye. Goodbye, our town. Mom. Dad. Goodbye. Goodbye to clocks ticking. And Mama’s sunflowers. And delicious food and coffee. And freshly ironed dresses and hot baths. And sleeping and waking up. Oh, Earth, you’re too wonderful for anybody to realize you. Goodbye.

seunrig

can we talk about this scene... must be one the best  drama character exist scenes ever

they say a drama never showed an aged actress in this way before,, all magestic

I did not like her at all first but she showed her true colors by the end

I love the korean version of the ending. A separation would be so unfair after all the pain they have been through. The excerpt of 'goodbye world' is like a swan song for the grandma T.T

The narration in the final episode makes me thinking that the connection run deeper than I thought; they didn't start as mother and children... 'i notice the girl who has the same thought as me, who thinks that writing to a dead animal is an utter nonsense' first they relate to each other by ideals and how they view the world. The relation get deeper when Soo Jin share her interest and field of profession to Hyena (so far, Soo Jin hasn't got many friends, which means that she isn't the easiest person to get close) and the last straw was when she found Hyena in the trash bag. They see each other as kindred spirits; those who keep searching for their place and purpose in the world. And when they find the connection, it isn't easy to let go. What goes through Soo Jin's mind was that she has to protect Hyena at all cost, and the only way to do it is to become her MOTHER, her friend, her protector. 

"You can do it. You can become a child who can survive without your mother. You are abandoning your mother." This shows that this isn't about how Soo Jin wants to possess Hyena as her daughter forever, rather a form of love that is unselfish.

And we've reached the finish line. Boy what a turbulent & emotionally drained ride it was! 

I love how forgiving Hye-Na was of her own biological Mother, instead of hating her, she wished her happiness too~ Aish why can't Dr. Jung/Soo-Jin have their happiness as well LoL!? I like how the other 2 daughters of Young-Shin carry on her legacy. With Yi-Jin opening a daycare(?) and Hyun-Jin bringing light to child abuse causes. This like another good tear jerker drama " Marriage Contract " , " Oh My Geum-Bi " all left a deep impression on me and gosh the tears! So many tears...  

I always hold my Mom in my thoughts but upon watching " Mother " thoughts of my Mom were kept fresh in my mind and perhaps that's why it hits me harder because it was relatable and made me ponder the kind of daughter I was etc..  (Sigh) Oh well it's now onward and upward I guess LoL, onto the next best Drama (hopefully) and God Bless, take care everyone. Live your life with joy..always.  

Archived