[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

tompark

MOTHER
EPISODES: 16     NETWORK: tvN     AIR TIME: 2018-Jan-24 to 2018-March-15     WRITER: Jung Seo Kyoung
MUIED92932WM5R6U2VU8.jpg

SYNOPSIS/ This drama is remake of the 2010 Japanese NTV drama series “Mother“. It is about a temporary teacher at an elementary school realizes that one of her students is being abused at home by her family. She makes an impulsive decision to kidnap the child and attempts to become her mother. Hye Na (Heo Yool) is abused by her mother Ja Young (Go Sung Hee). Although she is not okay, she tells other people she is alright. Meanwhile, Soo Jin (Lee Bo Young) is a temporary teacher at the elementary school where Hye Na attends. She is aware of her situation and decides to become her mother.

|CAST|

Mother (Korean Drama)-Lee Bo-Young.jpg Mother (Korean Drama)-Heo Yool.jpg Lee Hye-Young Mother (Korean Drama)-Ko Sung-Hee.jpg Mother (Korean Drama)-Lee Jae-Yoon.jpg
Lee Bo-Young Heo Yool Lee Hye-Young Ko Sung-Hee Lee Jae-Yoon
Soo-Jin Hye-Na Young-Sin Ja-Young Jin-Hong

Kim Young-Jae Mother (Korean Drama)-Son Seok-Koo.jpg Mother (Korean Drama)-Jo Han-Chul.jpg Jeon Hye-Jin Mother (Korean Drama)-Ko Bo-Gyeol.jpg
Kim Young-Jae Son Seok-Koo Jo Han-Chul Jeon Hye-Jin Ko Bo-Gyeol
Eun-Cheol Seol-Ak Chang-Geun Yi-Jin Hyun-Jin

Lee Jung-Yeol
Lee Jung-Yeol
Jae-Beom

|POSTERS|
XGX7CEVYSQJ5WX2QRZ3Y.jpg2OQUROAXEJPLW79KYDDQ.jpg

|OTHERLINKS|
OFFICIAL WEBSITE - VIKI - RAW EPISODES

01.Soompi code of conduct SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Lee boyoung decided to do tvn Drama Mother and no SBS Drama Advance. Japanese Drama was good and I think Korean version will be good as well. I will watch this version. Let see who will be the other cast members. Lots of actresses for this drama. 

An articole about LBY ...

http://koalasplayground.com/2016/12/05/lee-bo-young-settles-into-fall-for-bazaar-korea-and-confirmed-for-2017-remake-of-j-dorama-mother/

Lee Bo-young courted for tvN’s remake of Japanese drama Mother

by chickachunga | October 27, 2016 | 37 Comments

leeby1.jpg

Ooh yes! Now this is one casting I can totally get behind. Surely, I’m not the only one who misses seeing Lee Bo-young (God’s Gift – 14 Days) in dramaland. Lee has been offered the titular role in tvN’s remake of the Japanese drama Mother, which tells the story of a woman who kidnaps a mistreated young girl and decides to become her mother. Well, I guess “mother” is more like it. Lee Bo-young has not made any confirmations at this time and is currently reviewing the script. She’s reportedly one of many A-list actresses that have been approached for this role.

Read more http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/10/lee-bo-young-courted-for-tvns-remake-of-japanese-drama-mother/

This is the news about Lee Boyoung receiving the offer. I saw several articles in Korean about this news but I can`t find anything about Lee Boyoung confirming to play in this drama. I think it is possible that she agreed but why there are no news about this? Just the site Koalasplayground wrote about it. It`s odd. I hope we`ll see the other cast news soon. I am curious who will play the abused child. Watching the Japanese version, I liked the most the actress who play the young girl. She was adorable. The actress who played the abusing mother (the biological mother) did a good job so I am curious who they cast for the role here. All the cast was very well chosen so I have no doubt that this remake will have a good casting as well.

@tompark, thank you for starting the thread and for the updates.

I am not seeing on Viki a fan channel for it, or the earlier Japanese version...

On 12/5/2016 at 2:53 PM, larus said:

So Lee boyoung decided to do tvn Drama Mother and no SBS Drama Advance

@larus, I think she is still courted for both drama.  SBS Advance has changed it's name to "Whisper." It is scheduled for March after Saimdang,  TvN's "Mother" - we do not know a date yet, but we know it is scheduled (right now) to follow Bride of the Water God, which in turn follows Introverted Boss (in January).

@Mayyes, I read the Dramabeans article for both drama. So far, Lee Bo-Young is courted for both. She has not said yes yet.

To be honest, what caught my eye about "Mother" is the fact that the scriptwriter -  Jung Seo-kyung  - is the scriptwriter for Park Chan-Wook's "Thirst" and "Handmaiden."

That fact alone fills me with anticipation for this drama.

I hope they get an equally wonderful PDnim and cast.

31 minutes ago, irilight said:

I read the Dramabeans article for both drama. So far, Lee Bo-Young is courted for both. She has not said yes yet.

I agree with you. She is courted for both and there is not an official confirmation yet. I read one article that says that Lee Bo Young is in the process of coordinating details so it is almost a done deal, in my opinion. I think the role for Mother is not confirmed either. Except for Koalasplayground, I did not see any Korean news or other news that announced that it is an official confirmation. 

She is so lucky to have to chose from two interesting and potentially good dramas. I am a little jealous. :w00t: It is so good to have two projects from two famous and successful writers to decide. She is again lucky because she could do either roles and not let either one to get away because she is not in a scheduling conflict.

I just watched one project of Jung Seo-kyung (the movie "Handmaiden") and I know that she is in the spotlight after the success of her movie. She chose an emotional story for her debut in the dramaland. I watched the Japanese version... I think she will do a good remake. I am waiting for the cast news as well. If tvN will air this drama in the second half of 2017, maybe we`ll hear about that a little later. 

• 5 months later...

Lee Bo-young to become Mother for tvN remake

by tipsymocha

leeboyoung-mother.jpg

Wow, that’s a quick return to dramaland, especially given that the gap between Lee Bo-young’s last two projects God’s Gift–14 Days and Whisper was 3 years. Not that I’m complaining, because I think her role as the titular Mother in tvN’s upcoming remake of the Japanese drama is perfect for her. I actually thought that this project was dead in the water because we hadn’t heard of any developments since last October when reports first announced that Lee Bo-young was offered the lead role, so I’m happy to hear that tvN is moving forward with the show, and that she has confirmed the project.

read more http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/05/lee-bo-young-to-become-mother-for-tvn-remake/

1 hour ago, Tango27 said:

there like 1 news article in korea and it says like some 7 months from now

is there a reason this show is adapted all over the place , in turkey its a current hit

Everyone who saw the original Jdrama said that it is one of the best shows they've seen. I'm not going to watch it though. I want to watch the Korean remake without knowing any more about the story than I already do.

i know the show pretty well without actually watching ... the turkish version is to blame .. it got lots of exposure, however they changed the script a lot and put 2 romantic leads for the main character ...

the show has a  warm human message ,somehow heavy and I think it needs a rewrite  not a faithful adaption and adding stuff  , and LBY has already played a very similar character in GG14DAYSmore like a drama twin show.  

the other main character is the child so they need a really good child cause its a hard role , not one of those cuties who just cry  . 

the writer is pretty famous which surprising since its an adaptation ..so we will see if changes will happen

it will be probably short like the original like 12 ep or something

On 5/31/2017 at 2:20 PM, Tango27 said:

i know the show pretty well without actually watching ... the turkish version is to blame .. it got lots of exposure, however they changed the script a lot and put 2 romantic leads for the main character ...

Two romantic leads for the heroine? :o I think this version will be close to the original. In the original story there isn`t any romance going on. The reporter made an emotional  conection to the heroine but everything was not explored. He will help her and that`s it. Maybe they will make this conection more ovbious in Korean version but this is a secondary plot.

6 hours ago, jfritz09 said:

Is this more of a drama than a thriller like GG though?

I watched the original version last year. I did not watch many Japanese dramas but what I watch I really liked. They have an unic charm.

It is not a thriller. It is a human drama if that`s a genre. It explore the women/ motherhood. The hightlight will be the relationship between the heroine and the little girl but there are other women in this drama and their stories. Women are the protagonists in this.

Spoiler

Not read if you don`t want to know about the original drama.

The heroine is at the first glance emotionless. She is not showing her emotions at all. She is like a robot, she is a cold woman but she has a heart. She will kidnap the little girl because she was abused at home and almost died and they will go to the heroine`s hometown. Her family is a normal, lovely family. We will find out more about heroine`s background. She will have a chance to sort things out with her real mother and her adoptive mother (who are both great persons). 

One of my favorite scene was then all the women in heroine`s life spend time together and took a picture together.

I don`t remember every scene but I still have lingering feeling about this drama.

The remakes can be a hit or miss. Queen of Classroom and "My Wife's Having an Affair this Week" are good remakes in my book,  The Queen of Office was OK (I liked the original better but they did well) and Dr. Jin was a horible remake (Koreans butchered the original). I did not see the Korean`s Nodame Cantabile but I read that not everyone was pleased with the result. From what I read Liar Game was a succes.   I think they could do a good remake this time too.

26 minutes ago, triplem said:

Oh sorry I did not even see this...ok what's the story

Ah, there you are.

Lee Bo Young next role. 

Brief summary of the story 

When a elementary school teacher realizes that one of the female students is receiving abuse from her mother, her maternal instincts kick in, and she impulsively decided to bring the girl into her own care. She then kidnaps the child and begins to live as her mother

• 1 month later...

Lee Bo Young Confirms Appearance In Upcoming tvN Drama

Lee-Bo-Young1.jpg

Actress Lee Bo Young has selected her next project!

On July 27, a source from her agency Fly Up Entertainment revealed, “Lee Bo Young is confirmed to star in ‘Mother.’ The broadcast schedule is undecided, and we are aware that it is currently in preparation.”

“Mother” is a remake of the 2010 Japanese drama of the same name. It tells the story of a woman who kidnaps a girl suffering from abuse and decides to become her mother. Lee Bo Young will take on the role of the main character, which was played by Yasuko Matsuyuki in the original.

tvN’s “Mother” will be directed by Kim Chul Gyu, who previously worked on dramas such as Hwang Jin Yi, On the Way to the Airport, and Chicago Typewriter.

Source (1) (2)

https://www.soompi.com/2017/07/26/lee-bo-young-confirms-appearance-upcoming-tvn-drama/

She has confirmed months ago. I think they wanted to reasure that she is still committed with this show.

Archived