[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

tompark

I'm starting to feel a bit sad that this series is going to come to an end soon. I've developed an attachment to the Soo Jin and Hye Na characters, and I want to see more of them. If this unlikely pair of "mother"-daughter will be able to stay together at the end of the drama, then I want to see their adventures together in Iceland (maybe they'll go on some mother/daughter bird-watching trips, maybe Hye Na will eventually master the multiplication tables and suddenly become a math whiz...). If they are separated, then I want to see how they will live their separate lives, and how they can reunite at some point. Unfortunately, I know that most Kdramas don't have multiple seasons, so it is highly unlikely that I'll get a season 2 of this wonderful drama. Sometimes, I wish that Korean producers would take a page from the playbook of US producers who, if they realize that a show has characters that audiences have really connected with and love, will develop more seasons for that show. That's why in the US, shows like "Seinfeld" and "Big Bang Theory" go on for many years.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm amazed at how smart Hye Na is--especially, when she thought to separate from Soo Jin on the ferry. I can only think that she's been a survivor her whole little life.

Every episode is just awesome. I can't wait to see what happens next.

7 hours ago, jfritz09 said:

Sometimes, I wish that Korean producers would take a page from the playbook of US producers who, if they realize that a show has characters that audiences have really connected with and love, will develop more seasons for that show. That's why in the US, shows like "Seinfeld" and "Big Bang Theory" go on for many years.

I so agree with you. 

Wow, the last scene of Episode 13 ... I have no word! 

I almost couldn’t watch it ... The pain of both mother and daughter was so real, it seemed to jump off the screen...

LBY has outdone herself, but that little girl HY, when she screamed “eomma”, it was probably the most heartbreaking thing I’ve ever heard...

I just have one question and that is would the public be more shocked by a teacher kidnapping a child than they would be by the mother asking for ransom not to tell who has her daughter? That alone say's everything about her.

51 minutes ago, IBELIS said:

I just have one question and that is would the public be more shocked by a teacher kidnapping a child than they would be by the mother asking for ransom not to tell who has her daughter? That alone say's everything about her.

@IBELIS, so true. I think the public could sympathize with the teacher after hearing:

•  the police failed to act when she reported the abuse to them
  • she took the child after finding her on the curb in a garbage bag out with the trash
  • the child tells how she heard her own mother ask her boyfriend to kill her child
  • the mother met with the kidnapper, but still chose to leave her child with her
  • not once asked for the well being of her child durning both "kidnappings", but only asked about her boyfriend
  • how SJ was willing to do anything to protect HN
  • the child tells how the mother beats her after finding her boyfriend putting make up on her
  • the mother told the police that she doesn't want her child, she's tired of her

There is so much for the public to take into consideration--the good of SJ towards HN is nothing compared to all the hatefulness displayed by the mother.

Let's not forget that Seol-Ak is a child murderer and was about to kill Hye-Na. If Soo-Jin didn't "kidnap" Hye-Na, Hye-Na would have died.

While Ep.13 was devastating to watch, I feel relieved. There was no real way that Soo-Jin and Hye-Na could have a good life if they lived being constantly afraid of being caught. Might as well face the music.

• That other teacher will come forward, too, with evidence of Hye-Na's abuse
  • Seol-Ak's former girlfriend is willing to testify and come clean about her son's death
  • Young-Shin will give an epic press conference, the role of her life, and all that
  • Hyun-Jin will write an article to show Soo-Jin's perspective, and then come clean about who she is (I like you, Hyun-Jin! I'm rooting for you!)
  • Dr. Sexy will do something cool.
  • Hong-Hee will kick butt, too, in her own, quiet way
  • Man-servant Jae-Bum will do his part (I don't know what, but something)
  • And our Hye-Na will save the day. She is smart, articulate, and most of all, empathetic. Let her tell her story, and the world will weep.

Yi-Jin! This episode is the most I've liked her. Nice to see her subdued and repentant. Not one witchy word today. Keep it up, girl.

Ja-Young! No redemption for you. 

K-Drama Reaction: Mother | Episode 10

screenshot_2018-03-08-13-11-14-04.png?w=
Date: March 8, 2018 Author: busyahjussi

The chase begins

OMG Seol-ak (Son Suk-ku) abducted Yoon Bok (Heo Yool) ! Though I fear for what’s going to happen to our little child, I remain optimistic that Soo-jin (Lee Bo-young) will find a way to trace them all thanks to the tracking device her research colleague attached to the truck. Remember it? I knew right from the very start it would play a vital role but the question is how Soo-jin will realize she’s got a way of finding them.

Full: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2018/03/08/k-drama-reaction-mother-episode-10/

I think I've cried more in this drama than any other one. I knew this moment (end of ep 13) was coming, but it did not make it any more fun. High praise to the writers, director, and actors, cause by the end of this episode, there is no question--Soo Jin IS Yoon Bok's mother!

A heartrending touch to have SJ's own mother watching this, too. :bawling:

Wah Hye-Na's Mom just...NEVER learns does she?!!? Callin' Soo-Jin a Psychopath, really now:rolleyes: 

Hye-Na is so quick on her feet, she quickly went to make friends with the boy to mislead the police while on the ferry. I thought him & Hye-Na would make a cute couple, next drama perhaps LoL?:tongue: It seemed like the widower was into Soo-Jin but nope she's Dr. Jung's eheheh:lol: Also loved the lil moment between Hye-Na & Soo-Jin where they sort of said their last goodbyes with both tellin' each other how much they love one another...  

Finally one of Seol-Ak's former lover turned in evidence. Hope Hyun-Jin can turn things around for Soo-Jin/Hye-Na.

Damn you Detective!:angry: Why won't you listen to your junior partner huh!??!:crazy: He has a point, at least he has a heart. Lord I teared up so bad at the last scene where the two were separated by the cops. My heart broke when Hye-Na urged the police not to hurt her Mom....(sigh) 

Looks like it'd be a rocky emo ride until the end OY LoL.

I have no words as to how awesome ep 14 is...no words. This drama is well written, well directed, and more than anything else, well acted.  The emotions being experienced by Hye Na and Soo Jin are so real life. I loved Hye Na's emotions at hearing her biological mother was going to jail. You could see she was torn and that it wasn't something to rejoice. However, when she heard the mother of her heart was not going to jail, she was torn between, joy, verge of tears of relief---her emotions were contained, but you could feel she was bursting at the seams with joy.

Great acting! Great drama!

20 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

I have no words as to how awesome ep 14 is...no words. This drama is well written, well directed, and more than anything else, well acted.  The emotions being experienced by Hye Na and Soo Jin are so real life. I loved Hye Na's emotions at hearing her biological mother was going to jail. You could see she was torn and that it wasn't something to rejoice. However, when she heard the mother of her heart was not going to jail, she was torn between, joy, verge of tears of relief---her emotions were contained, but you could feel she was bursting at the seams with joy.

Great acting! Great drama!

@lclarakl, I totally agree with you.  Loved HN and SJ performance in this episode.  Also the detective was outstanding too.  He had to do his job but I think he really felt for HN and SJ.  Definitely a fantastic episode.

5 hours ago, msmy said:

So Soo Jin got a year and a half of probation, so is she not allowed to see Hye Na at all?  There weren't any explanations of what the limitations are with the decision.

@msmy, I was wondering the same thing. I guess not since she hasn't tried to see her. I don't know why she wouldn't be allowed to visit based on everything they heard--Soo Jin saved Hye Na's life---more than once. When Hye Na told the court about her mother putting her in a trash bag and left her to die, I think she gained the sympathy of many. 

I was so happy to see Hye Na's biological mother getting trapped in her own manipulation.

I still can't believe that the actress playing Hye Na hasn't been in any other dramas.....this girl is so good.

I'm normally a very law-abiding citizen, but the situation that Soo Jin and Hye Na find themselves in right now has got me thinking about ways (even illegal ones!) to bring "mother" and daughter together :)    I was thinking that maybe the actress Mom can pay a nice couple to pretend to adopt Hye Na/Yoon Bok. Then, they can take her to some other country some time after, and Soo Jin can reunite with Yoon Bok there. 

Just a thought ... :)

And Hye-Na's Mom...... that's right my mind just draws a blank whenever she opens her mouth:tongue: Does she seriously think she's a martyr of some sort!??!:crazy: That thing (yup I don't think she is even worth referring to as neither person nor woman!) should be confined to a psychiatric facility on indefinite lockdown. When Hye-Na made that plea to Soo-Jin to kidnap her one more time.... Dear God the waterworks just kept coming:tears: You could hear the desperation in the child's voice. She's been through the ringer & bears so many scars, sadly the trauma will be lifelong & would take forever to erase. The only way is for Hye-Na to be loved and to be surrounded by people she can trust. It will take time but Hye-Na being so resilient will get by just fine. Hoping for better days for both Soo-Jin/Hye-Na as the drama gets through its final run~ Lord this drama has been an exhausting one LoL. 

I wish there'd been more of an explanation, too. I can only assume that because she is on parole for kidnapping, she can't go see the kid she napped. Would she be allowed to adopt at all? Or does that strike her from the list? 

My only other thought is the theory someone came up with earlier, that scared bio dad grew up to be cool doctor dude, and can somehow claim both of his birds.

17 hours ago, msmy said:

So Soo Jin got a year and a half of probation, so is she not allowed to see Hye Na at all?  There weren't any explanations of what the limitations are with the decision.

I also wondered about this.  She must have been prohibited from seeing HN otherwise I am sure she would have gone to see her already.  They are both crying so much that I am hoping they won't be separated for a year.  If they are, HN has already said she will not be adopted, she will wait for her mother to come and get her.

@frozentundra, that would be awesome.

Don't judge me, but I have watched episode 14 about 4 times already. I loved:

1) the detective seeing a different mother in Soo Jin who is only worried about Hye Na's well being, not her own, vs when he interviewed Hye Na's biological mother who was one concerned about herself and her boyfriend--didn't once ask about her child.

2)  seeing Hye Na with her little friend at the orphanage--he's a cute little boy.

3) loved the way the police offer tries to help Soo Jin when she wasn't willing to protect herself in court

4) loved seeing how the same police officer interacted with Hye Na--easy to see he wanted to convince HN, who didn't want to testify against her biological mother, that if she didn't tell what really happened, then her "mom", Kang Soo Jin, could go to jail.

5) Hye Na was so strong when she told of that freighting night when her mom put her in a garbage bag and put her on the curb to freeze to death.

6) when Soo Jin's biological mother came to visit her in jail and gave her some much needed advice

7) when Soo Jin spoke up in court and explained why she kidnapped Hye Na--so many emotions

8) seeing Hye Na's barely contained excitement and "on the verge of tears" expression at hearing Soo Jin just got probation

9) the mother's personal assistant. He's more like a father figure to these girls. He was there to help support Soo Jin's sister when she lost her job. 

10)  seeing how Hye Na's biological mother's plan backfired in her face. She thought she could use Hye Na to escape going to jail, but Hye Na wanted to protect her "real" mom, the woman who loved her, more

11)  how Hye Na and Soo Jin are two kindred spirits--they love and care for each other deeply....it broke my heart when Hye Na asked Soo Jin to kidnap her just one more time.

12) all the support, love, patience shown to Hye Na at the orphanage 

Side note:  If I had to match two people up as a couple, it would be the young police detective and the young assistant at the orphanage--they both have hearts and willing to break the laws in the face of what they see as "right".

There are so many things I loved about this episode.....I could go on and on.

Archived