tompark

tumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o3_r1_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o4_r1_400.giftumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o2_400.gif

tumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o5_400.giftumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o6_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o1_r1_400.giftumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o7_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o8_r1_400.giftumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o9_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p3t57u7Rfg1sdmcn4o10_r1_400.gif

You remember the things that happened on that day?

I don’t remember. I don’t remember anything that happened before that day. The doctors told me that it’s a defense mechanism to protect me from painful memories. But I have flashbacks like this, once in a while and it gives me chills.

credits@seunrig

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great episode 5!

• So barber shop granny is SJ's birth mother. Surprised to see this getting revealed so early. It definitely was a powerful scene.
  • JY's boyfriend seems to have a past with mothers & daughters. It seems his path is full of dead children who were abused by him. He really needs to be locked up soon. No punishment would be fitting for his deeds.
  • I agree with @Pam_Van Fossen. I also think that SJ's birth mother planned to murder her boyfriend and went to prison for that. She wanted to kill the man who abused SJ. And to make sure SJ never learns her actions, she left at an orphanage in advance. 
  • I really don't know where JH belongs in all this. So far he didn't take any actions. He knows that BY isn't her real name and that SJ isn't her real mother either. But it seems he knows that things aren't as they seem. Probably because he realizes that SJ isn't a bad person and that BY doesn't act like she was being abducted. But he hasn't seen BY scars yet, so maybe he will start asking questions once he finds out about it.
    I really hope that he keeps being the good guy and supports them.
  • I like the cops attitude. But so far little does he know.

I was right, the female barber was Soojin's real Mom after all. There was just a look she gave both Soojin, Hyena that seem to indicate that she somehow recognized Soojin & felt an affinity toward Hyena... That ******* WTF:angry: Does he have a fetish for single Moms or something!??!:crazy: I truly hope that toll booth lady does the right thing 'cause Lord knows this ******* need his comeuppance fast and soon! At least she's got the presence of mind to record that ******* for evidence. I struggle to see the appeal of this ******* for all these single moms he collected:rolleyes: like it's not as if he showers them with money/gifts etc. Or could it be he's a damn good lover!??!:rolleyes::tongue: Furthermore all these women would do anything for him and wouldn't even make a police report. It's just unfathomable to me.  

I agree with all previous comments that the scene where Soo-Jin discovered that the barbershop lady is her biological mother is very powerful, and beautifully acted by both actresses involved. It is kind of sad that this series has one of the best performances LBY has given in her fine career, but may end up being the one that garners the lowest viewership numbers (in Korea at least)...

It is appropriate for a show titled "Mother" that every mother character (biological or not) has been given a depth that makes it well-rounded, and not just a cardboard, black/white, simplistic character. Kudos to the director, writer, and actresses portraying these characters for achieving this. 

Every episode of this drama so far has left me wanting for more (I always felt that each episode was too short when the end credits came up). This rarely happens for me. Even in some dramas that I really enjoyed in the past, there were episodes that I felt dragged on too long, had too much filler materials, etc. I have not felt this at all for this show so far. I'm hoping this level of quality can be kept up until the end.

First of all, I love this drama but OMG I HATE Soo Jin sisters! 

Sisters should be keeping secret together, why can't she do it??? I mean, there's always reasons why Soo Jin don't give explanation to her mother and her sisters could just ask her first why she won't tell her mother. 

Well, I just hate backstabber like her sister hahaha 

Anyway, such a powerful act from Lee Boo Young and the child! I like them both! 

Episode 6, and it gets more intense.  Wonder how SJ's stepmother found out that the barber shop woman was SJ's real mother?  I love how they are portraying the deep feelings a mother has for her child and the scars they all have.  Not at all happy with either of the sisters.  They should have kept it a secret for SJ for just a little while like she asked.  I like the Dr. and am hoping SJ will stay there a while and become closer with him.  They have similar interests and I think he could help her with some of her inner conflicts.  Looking forward to next week.  

Episode 6:

• So finally we have the first weak spot: One of SJ little sisters wasn't able to handle a secret properly and spilled it all out. It was so funny when all of them came together and JB & Yi-Jin tried to get a glimpse of Hyun-Jin. But she thought all was revealed already. The facial expressions of JB & YJ were hilarious.
  • I liked the scene where Hyun-Jin found out about SJ having a daughter. You could  literally see how her mind was blown in a sudden. 
  • But why did SJ's stepmother wait in front of the barbershop? Did HJ tell her that this is the place they currently live in? But why did she slap her? As far as I know she shouldn't have any information about her being SJ's birth mother. 
  • I loved how SJ's stepmother was potrayed throughout the episode though, she has very deep feelings for SJ and we learned how much she cares for her and that her career as actress was always second. Being a mother for SJ was the most important thing for her. So it's also kinda understandable that she slapped SJ's birth mother. Especially since she mentioned in the documentary that she asks herself why someone would abandon such a precious child. 
  • The Doc seems to stay the good guy and will probably end up being of valueable use for SJ, he cares for both of them and currently somehow potrays a similiar role to a father. I think he will be able to comfort and SJ.
  • I have the feeling that right now SJ is collecting allies. People who will stand up for her and speak when the time comes. It will come down to this at one point, and then she needs people around her that will declare that her actions were good and that she should be her mother. 
  • And just for the record: Hyun-Jin is cute as hell.

Next week will  be awesome. :D 

Hello hello everyone, took me a while to catch up.  This drama is not easy to watch in one sitting. AGB (E6) is its highest at 4.206% :D

Terrific acting.  I didn't watch the Japanese version so don't know if this is same premise-wise.   The human story is universal, mother love is sometimes not black or white, somewhere in the spectrum of love.  So apt is the name of the drama as this one tells the story of moms who love her own child her own way.  Pacing is deliberate, not too fast nor slow... but for sure is character driven.

Lee Bo Young takes the role of a reluctant mother.  I like how her station in life is reversed because of Hyena, from an "abandoned" child in her view to one parent that takes in an abused one.  People said that you don't know someone until you walk in their shoes.  There's a divide between children and adults that closes as the kids grow to become adults and parents themselves.  There are so many things our parents do for us that we don't realize or appreciate until we are faced with the same decisions.  Soo Jin is desperate to save Hyena, knowingly committing crimes to save the girl.  Do whatever it takes. Her immediate thought is to remove Hyena from her situation, admirable in intention. I can see how she can justify her actions.  She has always been a strong minded child.  Her adopted mom Young-sin, has allowed her to be independent.  I don't know if it is good or bad (can see both ways) but it has made her into the loner that she is as she retreats into her own world.  That self defense mechanism walls up to protect her heart, even from her own adopted mom.  In the process, she is her own jury and judge.  I feel like someone in this drama will be strong enough to step up and forces Soo Jin to reevaluate what she is doing.  I hope it's Young-sin and it is out of love,  from one mother to another. There are legal means to save the child after removing her from those awful two people.  What Soo Jin is going through will help her understand her own biological mother's decision years ago to leave her.  I'm sure we will get the reveal later of why little Soo Jin was left at the orphanage, difficult and unpreventable circumstances must have prevented her mom to come back for her.  In any case, Soo Jin's journey in helping Hyena will help her understand how difficult it is for a mother to do the right thing for her child.  Most of time, risking her own welfare to protect that love through circumstances not easily understood by others.  Who is to judge a mother's love?

Kang Young-sin is a great character and I love how Lee Hye-young plays her.  At first, I thought it will be your typical actressy cold mom kind of persona.  Lee Hye-young looks terrific in her clothes (her home is beautiful, love the bronze midcentury look) and her refined mannerism made me think she must be like this in real life! How she treats her daughter is both wise and loving at same time (albeit not as the kind of warm ajuhmma who hugs her kids).  Knowing what each child is like, embracing one with early motherhood, respecting the independent adopted one and keep a household running as a single mother in a patriarchal society must not have been easy.  What do you think of her love for Soo Jin?  I keep having this feeling that Soo Jin is meant to be her cross to bear or her savior.  Like Soo Jin is her reminder or aspiration to be a good person.  She found this little girl who needs her help.  Adopting Soo Jin changed her from a self wallowing actress to a person with a greater purpose, it saves her soul in her mind.  I don't doubt that she loves her.  It also helps her image from a PR standpoint and her career got a boost.  The way Lee Hye-Young looks at Lee Bo Young at the dinner table is more like an admiration from a fan.  It's love, I just don't know if it's a mix of motherly love and something else.  I wonder if her other two children knows that Soo Jin is adopted.  I don't know much about her husband and their backstory.  I like her character a lot so would love to know more about how she eventually becomes this strong woman.  The scene in the barbershop at the end of E6, where she slapped the lady in the barbershop (think her name is Hong-Hee?) is expectedly frightening.  I know it was coming but still feel sad for Hong-Hee. I hope these two mothers will help each other after the hurting stops.  Young-sin is sick so I can see where Hong-Hee can step in, late after many years, to resume her motherly figure toward Soo Jin.  I have faith that  Young-sin's best and last motherly act will to help unite the two to care for her adopted daughter when she is gone.

Hong-Hee, the biological mother.  She is the one I most pitied about.  How she saw Soo Jin on a TV documentary, how she must have felt realizing that is her child.  We don't know yet the circumstances of why she abandoned her girl, how she lost contact with her all these years.  Yet, if I was her, seeing my girl said on TV that she is doing well with her adopted mother, I may do the same as Hong-Hee.  The insecurities that she must feel, the guilt and indecision, I can understand.  So sad to see how she sets up shop near Soo Jin all these years just to see her daughter everyday coming and going from school is heartbreaking.  As a mom, you want the best for your child.. seeing how Soo Jin's future can be bright if she doesn't interrupt and reappear in her life.  That must have forced her to be silent all these years.  It's hard for me to judge her actions but her love, I know is genuine.

I can't even begin to talk about Hyena's mom... lol 

The doctor is obligated as a healthcare professional to mandatory report abuse and domestic violence.  Jin-hong is required to report if he sees physical abuse, wounds, injuries on Hyena.  I don't think he has seen any physical wound since he has not examined Hyena.  He sees a loving relationship between Soo Jin and Hyena so there is little that he is obligated to do at this point.  He obviously can voluntarily report her outside of being a doctor as anyone can based on suspicion of a crime but he's in the clear as far as what he is obligated to do legally. Though, what he told Hyena about doctor-patient confidentiality is false.  If there is abuse, that goes out the window.

Anyway, we already have 2 OSTs released.  These two singers are fantastic.  I love Yuna Kim's song.

Translation:

Mother OST part 1 - Yuna Kim (To You)

Spoiler

Even your voice that I longed for
Has disappeared, it’s all gone

Even the sweet hopes
Are so faraway like a dream
Not a single trace remains

Endless loneliness, I know that feeling
Prayers that you had to swallow in
Tired after a long, harsh day
I’ll hold you when you’re broken

Tightly shut lips, anxious hands
I can’t hide it, I’m alone in fear

After the cold wind blows
We will remain as beautiful
Our memories and even our pain will shine

Endless loneliness, I know that feeling
Prayers that you had to swallow in
Tired after a long, harsh day
I’ll hold you when you’re broken

I will hold you once again
You, who resembles me, I’ll hold you again

Source:  popgasa

Mother OST part 2 - Peter Han (Next to You)

Spoiler

When I was alone
You were by my side
Through all my hurt and pain
You gave me hope

And All that we’ve lost,
We will find again,
As long as you are with me
till the end

I wanna take you far away
Somewhere magical where we
Leave it all behind,
start over peacefully

You are the one
Who gave me a hand to hold
An arm to lean on,
Love I hadn’t known before
Until you came along
All my life I’ve searched for
Somewhere to call home

Next to you
I can be myself again
Next to you
Promise that you’ll be here till the end

We’ve hurt so long
Now it’s time to heal
Let all the memories fade and pass away

I know it ain’t fair
But we have a chance
To write our story over once again

I wanna take you far away
Somewhere magical where we
Leave it all behind,
start over peacefully

You are the one
Who gave me a hand to hold
An arm to lean on,
Love I hadn’t known before
Until you came along
All my life I’ve searched for
Somewhere to call home

Next to you
I can be myself again
Next to you
Promise that you’ll be here till the end

Source: popgasa

Will keep watching this drama,  hoping ratings keep going up. :)

:lol::w00t: LMFAo at the 2 poor student customers of the Barber Shop!!:w00t::lol: Because of Soojin, they had to put up with their heads half-shaven - oh the horror LMFAo!

I really wish that Soojin's Mom not get so carried away by punishing Soojin's real Mom... Simply because she has yet to reveal her side of the story... It's just painful to watch her barge into the Barber Shop like that & slap her in full view of poor Yoon Bok. And what is up with Dr. Jung's apartment LoL? He set up camping furniture in his living area:w00t: Anyway, he is truly Soojin's Knight In Shining Armor:wink: 

Why in the heck is Hyena's Mom so freaking obedient to everything that @$$hole tells her to do!? Like WHY?! Can't she just pretend to ignore or IDK report the ******* to the police?? UGH. Seriously. And another thing, I really didn't like how judgmental Soojin's older sis was<_< I mean come on calling your sis a homewrecker? Really now-_-

seems the reporter sis will be bringing even bigger troubles next .. and I thought she was random at first 

but she seems to be a plot devise and bringing disaster next .

SJ cant catch a break with everything happening at once except when the fairy DOC is around ... but we need to tell him he has no chance though .

the place they went to to watch the birds looks like my idea of heaven... the scene on the rock looked out of a book.

I like how they are using the classic ( Runaway Bunny ) in the drama  where a steadfast mother keeps finding her child ... in a game of hide and seek just like we have in the show.

Image result for Runaway Bunny

SJ's mom didn't know barber shop lady was SJ's real mom. I think she read the awkward vibe and assumed plus when she slapped the ever lasting taste out of her mouth she asked, "Are you the woman who abandoned my daughter?" Bruh, can we talk about that slap though. She slapped her so hard that I felt it, lmao. 

@Nynda I think Hyun-Jin split ALL the beans. Remember YB had slipped up and told her she lived at the barber shop. As for the slap, it's the you abused/hurt my daughter slap. SJ's mom knows that SJ was abused. She mentioned in the doc how SJ was covered in scars all over her body so it makes sense.  I also agree with your point too. 

@bedifferent Ugh, I really love your thoughts on YS. I feel the same way. She is such a good person and a good mom. The way she looked at SJ while she ate reminded me of this weird saying that a parent watching their child eat can make their stomach full. However, I also felt bad for SJ's real mother too. 

HN's mom is a terrible person point blank period. All I want to know is why she hates HN so much? Is she a child from a product of rape? Did she get pregnant and her man at the time abandoned her when it was too late to get an abortion so she took it out on HN instead? Who knows? But all I know is that she literally sickens me. Her break-neck pace of moving on now that her child is "gone" and being happy af about it too sure is nauseating. Let's not even start on the apparent serial child killing boyfriend she's cuddled up with.

The Doc is so cute. He listens, minds his business, and stays in his lane. He's perfect.

I think someone mentioned it above but totes agree with you to side eye YJ for automatically thinking SJ is a home-wrecking side piece with an illegitimate child, lmao. Your sister doesn't even look like the type to go out on dates. Let alone meet married men. Anyways before this gets any longer,  I'll just say parents sure can give you wounds that'll last a lifetime. 

18 hours ago, Tango27 said:

seems the reporter sis will be bringing even bigger troubles next .. and I thought she was random at first 

but she seems to be a plot devise and bringing disaster next .

SJ cant catch a break with everything happening at once except when the fairy DOC is around ... but we need to tell him he has no chance though .

the place they went to to watch the birds looks like my idea of heaven... the scene on the rock looked out of a book.

I like how they are using the classic ( Runaway Bunny ) in the drama  where a steadfast mother keeps finding her child ... in a game of hide and seek just like we have in the show.

Great that you pointed that out. I found that the book Yoonbok read is very relatable to the drama. They are all runaway. For SooJin, she ran away many times and her step mother always try to find her. Some interesting thing about the drama is that both Soo Jin and yoonbok likes bird, it’s like their dream to be free. I cried so much when I see the part where Soo Jin was abandoned when her mother said she will lock her there so no one can take her away. Like someone said, I think the mother had to go to prison. I feel like she was planning to come back to get Soo Jin but Soo Jin was adopted before she could come back. When she found out that Soo Jin was adopted and loved by a mother who is rich and have the finance to provide the best life for her daughter, she gave up trying to get the child back and just want to live close by to see her daughter everyday. 

I found that that one of Soo Jin younger sister was jealous of her and I really curious to know why the stepmother seems closer or have more connection towards Soo Jin compared to her other daughters.

i feel so sad when the young Soo Jin said in the video that she doesn’t need anything because if she does, that means her mother abandon her because she couldn’t provide that. 

Its been a long time seeing this kind of drama, reminds me of the drama ‘drear my friends’. Not all drama need to be about romance. Lee no young act really well as a mother, her previous work god gift 14 days was a good drama too. I really hope this drama bring more awareness to children welfare and domestic violence. It is such a complicated topic in the society and we know it is still there even when we can’t see it.

@ihyuni That was me btw:D I was the one who mentioned how judgmental Soojin's so-called big sis was in callin' her a homewrecker<_< Like yea, that's really nice comin' from a divorcee with twins - sure whatever:rolleyes:

I like how you said that Dr. Jung "stayed in his lane" hahahah I use that phrase a lot too myself so it's funny you brought it up LoL. So yea I get what you mean he's a keeper. You're right the slap Soojin's Mom gave her real mom was...brutal. I still think she should've exercised restraint regardless whether the person deserves it or not.. I mean poor Yoon Bok/Hyena adores her, so for her Grandma to hit Granny Fingers like that OY:o

Yup agreed. Pain inflicted by parents are scars that remain a lifetime. 

Just catching up with the latest episodes. I just knew the barber was Soo Jin's mother. When they said she went to prison for killing her husband and we have a flashback of Soo Jin being abused by a man when she was a small child, it made me think the two were connected--especially there personality. I have to say for me, the scene in ep 5 (49:50) when Soo Jin confronts "Granny Finger" about the key and bike lock was powerful to me. Granny Finger always look in control and strong, but when confronted by Soo Jin, she visibly begins to shrink before our eyes. My heart goes out to both of them. Soo Jin hasn't put together her fragmented scenes that she attributes to Hye Na are actually her own. Her mother went to prison because she was protecting her daughter from her husband.

Actress Mom got on my nerves by slapping real mother. I get the impression that she always knew that Granny Finger was Soo Jin's biological mother but never told her. I have to wonder what really motivated her seek Soo Jin out in the orphanage. You just don't show up in an orphanage and sleep int he same bed with a child you don't know. 

Really good drama. The fact that Hye Na mother's boyfriend wants to kill her, I think will provide an out for Soo Jin--she took Hye Na to keep her safe from the boyfriend who had killed 2 children that we know of at this point.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:11 PM, jongski said:

I hope this drama is good and well written. As mentioned previous pages. I underwhelmed with tvN previous jdrama version for The Liar and his Lover (unlike JTBC versiong Solomon's Perjury..w/c was good). I'm going to watch this. Omg.. this will be one weeping drama from the looks of it. I guess for LBY, when one becomes a mother, you choose roles which  is closer to your heart and story plot in which social responsibility and awareness can transcend to the viewers. But still have that great kdrama style.  Demographics for this drama,  likely  mature viewers, wives and mothers.

Thanks for the presscon updates. Much appreciated.

@jongski, I'm just now going back and doing some back reading so I don't know if you are watching this drama. I have to say that this drama is really good so far. I don't know what I was expecting, but it's really well written. It has me wondering what is going to happen next.  Glad I didn't pass this one up.

On 1/26/2018 at 3:09 AM, Tango27 said:

I see now that the abuse stuff is much more detailed in this version and has a darker approach , but the fact that they made a five year old go through a child molesting scene like that is so uncomfortable .

Actually, I thought they kept it pretty tame. However, I spent a summer working with the Department of Family Children Services and I have to say that people need to be made aware that child abuse unfortunately is alive and well. Child abuse is ugly and it needs to make us feel uncomfortable--motivate us to action. I'm disappointed in the number of mothers around Seol Ak has only enabled his abuse of children, they don't even want to protect their own children from him. That's what I love about Granny Finger. If the story of what Soo Jin said about her going to prison for killing her husband, then we know that this is one mother, one woman who stood up to protect her child. It meant that she was going to lose her child while she went to prison, but at the same time she saved her life.

Side Note: Am I the only one who thought the sofa was a bit rundown to be in the home of a famous, wealthy actress?  

80669767a0ec360bcb9b6b1a8c4eb567b5625797

2 hours ago, lclarakl said:

Actually, I thought they kept it pretty tame. However, I spent a summer working with the Department of Family Children Services and I have to say that people need to be made aware that child abuse unfortunately is alive and well.

yes but even though its pretty tame it still kept ppl from watching the drama both inside and outside Korea , which is a sign that ppl are afraid of facing child abuse even in fiction....

they made the psycho a serial child murderer and molester to further emphasis the issue and show  as may questionable  mothers as possible ... they are ready to sacrifice a child for one night stands...

I also worked with abused children but I could not continue when I discovered that the staff of the organization are abusive of the children themselves, its an ugly world for unprotected children.

Really touching drama.. 

My sis 1st doter discovered she was adopted when she ws 12yrs old. Yes.. she took it very hard and it ws a difficult time for all of us. At 15yrs, met her bio parents, but refused to acknowledge them.

2nd was abandoned at my sis cashier's counter, a newborn and now 5yrs old, his mum never came back to collect her son. Just disappeared into thin air..

Archived