[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

tompark

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I love about kdramas is how there is often an important book, it seems, that holds the emotional lynchpin of the drama. (I have NEVER seen a culture that loves books like Korea. NEVER. And I used to live in Gutenberg's country, and thought the Germans loved books...) I will probably cry every time I run across that book now...

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

Image may contain: 2 people, baby and outdoor

Spoiler

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting and outdoor

the cuteness

HY btw  joined LBy AGENCY so they are together

Image result for my head is gonna explode gif

what happened to me after watching the last scene of ep 13... I know LBYs emotional scenes are terribly

real so I should been warned ...head exploded ...

6 hours ago, Tango27 said:

what happened to me after watching the last scene of ep 13... I know LBYs emotional scenes are terribly

real so I should been warned ...head exploded ...

@Tango27, that's why I think episode 14 is so fulfilling. You see all the support from all corners coming together.

@frozentundra, I noticed that about books too. I especially noticed it when Hye Na said she had just finished reading "Secret Garden" and was starting "Little Women--two books that were required reading in junior high.....but she's reading it at 9 years old!!!  Good for her.

1. Oh, Ja-Young. You are a piece of work.

I am shocked by how deluded she is. She thought a public trial would vindicate her, once they heard "her side of the story." And she was so sure that Hye-Na would protect her until the end.

Ha ha to her lawyer who thought she was going to win this huge case and become famous. Sorry, girl, you got played.

2. Hye-Na, you kicked butt.

I loved how she refused to talk about the other times her mom hit her. It's almost as if she was a lawyer who knew that corporal punishment alone wasn't enough to put her mother away. She even showed her empathy for her mom, saying that she knew her mom hit her because she was having a hard time raising her. Way to throw a gut punch, kid.

Then she goes in for the kill. The trash bag incident.

It was shocking that it was Seol-Ak who was concerned that Hye-Na might freeze to death. What we learned about Seol-Ak is that he actually has emotions, even though they are twisted. It turns out Ja-Young is the true sociopath. 7 years in jail doesn't seem long enough.

Hye-Na didn't even have to talk about what she overheard her mom say on the phone after Seol-Ak kidnapped her.

3. I feel bad for Hyun-Jin for losing her job and probably never working in media again. Her credibility is dead. But she can always write a book!

4. Oh, Yi-Jin. You just can't help be a bizzatch, can you? Gotta slip one last snide comment in there.

5. Soo-Jin, you also kicked butt. Both you and Hye-Na brought down the house with your honest, quietly devastating testimonies. Loved that she absolved her birth mom in the process.

K-Drama Reaction: Mother | Episode 11

picsart_03-13-02-15-07.png?w=816
Date: March 13, 2018 Author: busyahjussi

It’s the worst idea for Soo-jin (Lee Bo-young) to confront Seol-ak (Son Suk-ku) alone but I have a pretty good feeling that Dr. Jung (Lee Jae-yoon) is somewhere out there working on the sidelines. All I pray for is that Soo-jin to be able to defend herself if needed and be able to get Hye-na (Heo Yool) out there safely.

FULL: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2018/03/13/k-drama-reaction-mother-episode-11/

3 hours ago, jfritz09 said:

The drama "Mother" has been invited to compete in the Cannes International Series Festival on April 7-11.

It is the only Asian drama to land in the top 10 (out of some 130 entries) and therefore is able to be a part of the competition.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2018/03/14/0200000000AEN20180314003600315.html

Congratulation!!!! in love leafin love leaf

I love this drama a lot, even when my tears fall down especially last week but I LOVE IT A LOT!!!

and it is great to meet Gu Jun Pyo eomma again after a very long time, she is still as beauty as I ever remember...in love leafin love leaf

On 3/10/2018 at 7:18 AM, Pam_Van Fossen said:

I also wondered about this.  She must have been prohibited from seeing HN otherwise I am sure she would have gone to see her already.  They are both crying so much that I am hoping they won't be separated for a year.  If they are, HN has already said she will not be adopted, she will wait for her mother to come and get her.

@frozentundra, that would be awesome.

I don't think Soo Jin is not allowed to see Hye Na, but if I'm not mistaken there was conversation between Soo JIn and her birth mother. The birth mother said that she is disappointed by Soo Jin for not willing to see Hye Na again. And I don't know why Soo Jin do that. 

And the orphanage headmistress said to Hyena right after the verdict for Soo Jin announced that Soo Jin is free and she can go back to her house. Seems like noting that she can meet her again later. 

On 3/1/2018 at 4:24 PM, lclarakl said:

Shout out to @evie7, @bebebisous33, @hibiscus23, @sava2sava @tinatrix236 @Ldy Gmerm @USAFarmgirl @vally38 @stroppyse @booho @larus @enigmatic_zephy @b4l01 @jongski @Ayame @bukk1 @Triton823 @mywebfoot @ahhhjummahhhjo @30somethingajumma @zagigirl @triplem @irilight @jadecloud @andy78 @Lmangla @chubbychub1966 @trust71 @drmjs @alleram95 @airgelaal @haymochi @suchadiva42 @ina111 @awsparkle @LavelyShai @zenya22 @xxxzxxx @sadiesmith@Scribbles24 @Kasmic

If you're not watching now , please put this drama on your "To Watch List" for later-- I was going to avoid this drama because I don't like seeing children mistreated.  Against my better judgement, I began watching this drama.  However, I can honestly say that I've NEVER watched a drama that makes me feel the emotions I'm experiencing--so well written and the acting is superb. 

This drama has a strong message regarding the different "kinds/types" of mothers. I truly feel like I'm sitting on the edge of my seat each episode, wondering what is going to happen next.

@lclarakl  , Thank you much for the shoutout.... :)
I have not been on Soompi much... But I am watching this amazing drama.....  I have had it on my to watch list as soon as I read that the scriptwriter is Jung Seo-Kyoung Who worked with Park Chan-Wook on several of his projects.

TV drama ‘Mother’ to go to Cannes
Cable channel tvN’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “Mother” is to be screened at Canneseries, the Cannes International Series Festival.
The festival, which is to take place from April 4 to 11 in Cannes, France, aims to highlight series from around the world, giving “the new art form” an international voice. 

The roster for the festival’s official competition was announced Tuesday. Some 10 drama series from various countries were nominated, including tvN’s “Mother.” 

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20180314

The story centers on a teacher who discovers that a little girl is being abused by her mother. Unable to accept the mistreatment, she kidnaps the girl and runs away. The two are then chased by the police and the mother’s boyfriend. Lee Bo-young and Heo Yool play the lead roles. 

Reaching an average viewership rating of 4.7 percent, the 16-episode drama has been garnering critical acclaim. The last episode airs Thursday night. 

“Mother,” a remake of a Japanese drama of the same name, will be screened at Canneseries on April 9. 

source

K-Drama Reaction: Mother | Episode 12

picsart_03-14-07-02-19.png?w=816
Date: March 14, 2018 Author: busyahjussi

One of the things that this drama successfully has done is to show the goodness in people. We’ve got Soo-jin (Lee Bo-young) who tries to save a child and protect her as her own; Miss Clara who raises children left alone by their parents; Cha Young-shin (Lee Hye-young) who has displayed the real essence of motherhood; and now, we’ve got the Head Monk. To be honest, I was on the edge the whole time our detectives were in the temple. I was afraid that the Head Monk will tell the truth but I was pleasantly surprised that he went the extra mile (figuratively and literally) to help Soo-jin and Hye-na (Heo Yool). I don’t really know much about the values of Buddhism but maybe he can see through the hearts of the people and it also helps that he met Soo-jin when she was young.

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2018/03/14/k-drama-reaction-mother-episode-12/

6 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Wow, are people going to go to a film festival and sit through a 16-hour series? How awesome! Binge-watching at Cannes.

This series is worthy. That's pretty neat.

Only the first episode of Mother will be screened for the judges in the competition. Probably festival attendees will only see that as well.

The screening time will be at 12pm on April 9, and the winner will be announced on April 11.

I'm cheering hard for the Mother team! This series deserves all the recognition and awards that it gets!

I dont understand this festival thing... the series will be judged on the first episode ??!!

there is a series from america , italy, norway, mexico ,spain among others

anyway not hoping for a win ... but at least someone noticed it... cause koreans were sleeping on it completely..

this shows that quality matters too...

Hi guys! I am new on this thread (was in a drama slump for almost 2 years, I'm back now) :) Sorry for being so late to actually contribute to this thread.

I am so happy to hear that this drama has been nominated to appear in Cannes. It surely deserves it!

This drama has gripped my heart. Every episode is a roller coaster of emotions. The actors are all so talented conveying emotions, making me feel their pain, sorrow and joy. What I especially like about this drama is the strong message about motherhood. There are so many different ways of being a mother. Being a birth mother doesn't necessarily mean that you can love your child the most in this world. An adoptive mother can be more of a mother to a child than a birth mother. A mother can love all her children equally, regardless if they are adopted or she gave birth to them. And a mother may have to make huge sacrifices to protect her child, even abandon them. Mother is just a word, the true meaning of motherhood is something entirely different....

I love the way the show depicts love and goodness in people. So many people impact a child in so many ways without having to be the child's parent. Kind of like the saying "it takes a village to a raise a child". Soo-jin had so many people around her that formed her into a good adult. Hye-na is on the same path.

All the mothers depicted in this drama have shown immense growth and strength as mothers. Through all the pain, sacrifices and suffering, love remains. The bond to one's child is hard to break, and healing the bond is always possible.

The only exception is Hye-na's birth mom, Ja-young. She is so broken inside - doesn't love herself, that she is unable to give love to her child. It would have been nice if the show would have given us viewers a glimpse of her past - why she is so broken and unhappy with herself. Maybe she was abandoned or abused, and never had enough good people around her to teach her to love herself. I pity her in any case.

To me it was pretty evident that Soo-jin would not be able to meet Hye-na during her probation. The fact that Soo-jin was put on probation, means that she is convicted for the crime of kidnapping. Therefore, it would be clear that the kidnapper not have any contact with the kidnapped child. I am just unsure if this means that Soo-jin cannot meet Hye-na until Hye-na is an adult (I wouldn't be surprised if the ruling included this clause).

I just watched ep 15, but my Korean isn't strong enough. So I will comment more once I have watched it with subs. :) Wishing for a happy ending. :)

Ep. 15 was great. It was a chance to review the other relationships in the show without focusing solely on the Hye-Na and Soo-Jin relationship. (I guess that will be for tomorrow.)

Oh, Young-Shin. You are a drama queen to the core, but only in the very best way. Love you. Be at peace.

(Kind of upsetting that she had to die with Hye-Na sleeping next to her, so Hye-Na will be the one to discover her in the morning. I have an 8-year-old daughter, so I don't know how I would feel about that if my daughter had to do that for her grandma. But still, dramatic flare, all the way, until her last breath. Hurray, Young-Shin, you know how to make that grand exit.)

Loved the soap-opera-ish reveals of how the other two girls ended up being adopted. HAHA, the one thing that brought Yi-Jin to her knees. Sorry, I enjoyed that. And all around, it was a great way to show that adopted children really *are* true children to their parents. It's about the love, not about the blood.

Loved that scene between Young-Shin and "Grandma Finger." Cue the tears.

I don't know the legal stuff, but I'm going to assume that Hye-Na is getting legally adopted by being sent to a "group home." So the "mom" of that home gets legal custody of her. And Soo-Jin is asking that mom in the preview to give that custody right to her? I guess that can work?

In any case, I'm going to be a wreck when Hye-Na and Soo-Jin will have to part again tomorrow, at least once more.

Dr. Sexy! Rescue us all!

1 hour ago, not1but3 said:

Ratings 180314:

#Return : 12.1% | 14.7%

#MysteryQueen2 : 5.2%

#Mother : 4.1%

WOw... 4,1% for cable broadcast like TVN is considering a huge one.

I love the last night episode, sad that we lost one of best drama queen, first drama queen i love so far green scarf 06 her goodbye by saying "eomma" and she accompanied by Yoon Bok till the end. I love that kid, so adorable yet so mature.

Archived