[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

tompark

2 hours ago, Tango27 said:

yes but even though its pretty tame it still kept ppl from watching the drama both inside and outside Korea , which is a sign that ppl are afraid of facing child abuse even in fiction....

they made the psycho a serial child murderer and molester to further emphasis the issue and show  as may questionable  mothers as possible ... they are ready to sacrifice a child for one night stands...

I also worked with abused children but I could not continue when I discovered that the staff of the organization are abusive of the children themselves, its an ugly world for unprotected children.

I absolutely agree that people are afraid to face child abuse, even in fiction. The scene that I have in mind is where he puts lipstick on Hye Na and sprayed perfume on her--talking about her smell.  That scene would have gone over the heads of some. However, in the movie "Silence", it was pretty graphic. I cried buckets of tears as I watched that movie, but was so proud of the outraged Korean people when they made the justice system change their laws regarding the statue of limitation and created new laws so they could re-sentence those adults who had abused those children; the public would let them do nothing less, they rejected the first decision by the courts. It was a horrific crime that went on for years.

There are mothers who don't believe their children and there are others who do. Most of the mothers in this drama is complacent.  I don't like the way Soo Jin leaves Hye Na alone in a hotel, apartment, park, etc. I also didn't like the drama showing Soo Jin leaving Hye Na with the "nice" doctor; she doesn't know this man. Look at the Olympic's doctor who was molesting all those young girls. I'm waiting for the writer to show how the parents need to be cautions and build trust before just leaving their child with anyone--even just leaving her with Granny Finger. We live in a world where people have to gain trust.

@Katrina Abdul Talib Thanks for sharing.....tramatic for sure.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, lclarakl said:

Actress Mom got on my nerves by slapping real mother. I get the impression that she always knew that Granny Finger was Soo Jin's biological mother but never told her. I have to wonder what really motivated her seek Soo Jin out in the orphanage. You just don't show up in an orphanage and sleep int he same bed with a child you don't know.

Welcome to the thread. ^^

I don't think YS knew though, because if you think about it when teen SJ got in the accident SJ said her mom went to thank Granny Finger. If she knew that was SJ's real mom I highly doubt she would have stepped foot in there especially when she likely believes she's the one who abused SJ (hence the reason she got slapped right or wrong). And in actuality she didn't seek out SJ. The first night she volunteered she slept in the room with all of the kids. However the entire night she was crying. Little SJ came down to comfort her thinking it was another kid who was sad after being abandoned. I think she was captivated by the maturity and kindness that little SJ showed and instantly took a liking to SJ. She said she a really good time volunteering because of SJ. I mean YS admitted that she's someone who can't live without companionship so after spending time with SJ she became the reason she wanted to keep living after having lost her husband to another woman and him leaving her in debt. 

@AnhH  I think it comes down to a simple SJ has seen her mom vulnerable while the others have not. YS doesn't put on the ice queen mask when with her.  YS also promised herself that she would help SJ heal. However,  when she was at the doctor she said that SJ stopped growing at the age of 8 and even though she's a grown up now she behaves the same way as she did then. So maybe she feels some type of way for not being able to make SJ whole.

YJ is jealous of SJ and she probably knows SJ is adopted. I was rewatching six and I remember at dinner SJ asked about piano. In the documentary SJ could play the piano and also said YJ doesn't like to lose in anything. Plus at dinner her little "blood relations" comment. Even though I'm speculating I'm pretty sure some form friction occurs there. Maybe she thinks her mom loves SJ more so she did everything her mom asked to try to get her mom to "love" her more than SJ. It must of bothered her even more so since she knew she wasn't even really her real sister. Anyways, that's just a working theory, lol. 

I think that Soo Jin and Hye Na are in real danger because they don't know that the psycho boyfriend is looking for them. They are aware that the police is after them, but don't know that Ja Young's boyfriend is also searching for Hye Na to kill her. Also, Soo Jin's friend put the tracker on the boyfriend's truck, but he has switched to another car. I keep thinking that this will come into play somehow (like maybe Soo Jin's friend will look at the GPS and tell her that the psycho is nowhere near her and the girl when he actually is closing in...). Finally, the boyfriend also discovered Hye Na's notebook of things that she likes, and I feel that he may be using that knowledge somehow to set a trap for Hye Na later.

About the title of the series: I've been wondering why they used the word madeo instead of eomma (sp?). Not being Korean and not knowing the language at all, I've come up with a theory of my own :) . I'm guessing that madeo = Mother, while eomma = Mommy?  In my mind, Mommy is what a child calls an ideal maternal figure, someone who is a source of unconditional love and comfort. Whereas Mother is a word with more complex connotations: she can certainly be a source of love and comfort, but can also be a source of pain, alienation and deep emotional scars as well.

That's my two cents anyway, I could be way off base too (wouldn't be the first time for that... :) )

On 2/11/2018 at 11:32 PM, ihyuni said:

Welcome to the thread. ^^

I don't think YS knew though, because if you think about it when teen SJ got in the accident SJ said her mom went to thank Granny Finger. If she knew that was SJ's real mom I highly doubt she would have stepped foot in there especially when she likely believes she's the one who abused SJ (hence the reason she got slapped right or wrong). And in actuality she didn't seek out SJ. The first night she volunteered she slept in the room with all of the kids. However the entire night she was crying. Little SJ came down to comfort her thinking it was another kid who was sad after being abandoned. I think she was captivated by the maturity and kindness that little SJ showed and instantly took a liking to SJ. She said she a really good time volunteering because of SJ. I mean YS admitted that she's someone who can't live without companionship so after spending time with SJ she became the reason she wanted to keep living after having lost her husband to another woman and him leaving her in debt. 

@ihyuni, Thank you for the welcome.  I was lurking, with a comment here and there. I don't know why, but for a while I always thought that SJ's adopted mother was her biological mother and that she probably gave her up as a baby. I can't help but feel that YS is hiding a secret.

The scene at the end of ep 6 is very telling and yet, it holds some mystery.  YS had just found out that SJ has a child. She's panicking as she waits for SJ to show up at Granny Finger....why? She's worried about something.  Then they pull up and HN gets out of the car.  She greets Granny Finger as "Halmeoni" which is common in Korea for a child or younger adult to call an older 'grandmother' figure.  When YS saw HN and Halmeoni hug, YS started saying "Oh, my word, Oh....... goodness." 

Later when SJ goes into the shop, she and Granny Finger say nothing about their relationship, don't really acknowledged each other.  We then have YS barging into he shop and slaps Granny Finger saying, "Are you the woman who abandoned my daughter?" Why would she say that?  She knew that Granny Finger went to prison for killing her husband.  I can't help but think, YS is the one who threw away her child; that's why she's so desperate to hold on to SJ.  I think we're going to find out one or two things:

1) YS is SJ's biological mother or 

2) Granny Finger is the biological mother

3) YS's husband had an affair with Granny Finger and SJ is his child

I'm pretty convinced that YS has known for a long time who SJ's biological mother is.  It didn't make sense to me that a newly divorced young woman would want to adopt a child. There is a secret between these two women.

@jfritz09, I too believe that HN and SJ are going to be in real danger with the boyfriend.  I also think the writer may use this as a way out for SJ--she was protecting HN from an abusive mother and serial killer boyfriend.

On 26.1.2018 at 4:42 AM, UnniSarah said:

@bebebisous33 @philosophie @sava2sava @jongski @kysy @maddymappo @purplebass @zinaa @auroredawn @mimisl123 @lu09 

Please join me in watching this drama. I watched both episode 1 & 2 and now I am hooked.

@UnniSarah Thank you for inviting me to watch this wonderful drama. I love love love love love it.:thumbsup::grin:

On 8.2.2018 at 9:25 AM, Tango27 said:

two bad mothers damaged SJs faith in motherhood, but eventually the wonderful miss CLARA influence won .... the moment in the shop was so powerful ... I felt she truly injured herself... AND THE MOMENT .. she was trying the lock she was visibly shaking....

another powerful performance from LBY.

imagine having this on your screen and not watching... shakes head at korea.:wacko:

I don't think her biological mother abandoned her. I believe she placed her in the orphanage with the hope of getting her back. Based on flashbacks, it seems that the mother had an abusive partner and may have placed SJ at the orphanage as a way to protect her from further abuse. Also, it seemed that the bio mom (according to rumors) went to prison. She might have gone there after "killing" her partner. I believe that she looked for SJ as soon as she got out and settled in the town where the latter lived and watched her grow up from afar.

My opinion on the adopted mom is that she deeply loves her. SJ has always been closed off. It seems that she never allowed her mom the opportunity to love or be loved by her. As the mom stated, SJ is still the eight-year-old she adopted, almost as if she is emotionally stunted. SJ also admitted to waiting for her bio mom to come back for her, which also means that she was unable to open up to love and care that her adopted mom was giving her.

Can't wait to watch with subs, but the adopted mother's actions are a little over the top. She should be thankful to this mother for allowing her to raise her daughter. Instead she acts like this woman took her child away from her and abandoned her.

On 2/12/2018 at 5:35 PM, lclarakl said:

1) YS is SJ's biological mother or 

2) Granny Finger is the biological mother

@lclarakl  I have suspected that Granny Finger is SJ's adopted mother, and Ys is her birth mother. I think they knew each other and she promised to raise SJ well.. My theory is that Granny told YS where she abandoned SJ and she went  to find her. Once YS found SJ, she was broken and didn't have the courage to tell her the truth. SJ cared for her but she was still waiting for her mom to come back and get her. Being abandoned and abused by someone who is a parent are terrible. Children of abuse has big trust issues and mature very quickly. They become to afraid to rely on others or they become even more attached.  

Reasons for speculating, I feel the attachment YS has toward to SJ seems so blood related to me. I feel that YS is ready to die and is trying to take care of unfinished business before she passes. Like YS declaration that she won't have surgery until she sees SJ. She was taking a real risk of never seeing SJ before she dies. 

4 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@lclarakl  I have suspected that Granny Finger is SJ's adopted mother, and Ys is her birth mother. I think they knew each other and she promised to raise SJ well.. My theory is that Granny told YS where she abandoned SJ and she went  to find her. Once YS found SJ, she was broken and didn't have the courage to tell her the truth. SJ cared for her but she was still waiting for her mom to come back and get her. Being abandoned and abused by someone who is a parent are terrible. Children of abuse has big trust issues and mature very quickly. They become to afraid to rely on others or they become even more attached.  

Reasons for speculating, I feel the attachment YS has toward to SJ seems so blood related to me. I feel that YS is ready to die and is trying to take care of unfinished business before she passes. Like YS declaration that she won't have surgery until she sees SJ. She was taking a real risk of never seeing SJ before she dies. 

@UnniSarah, I have the exact same suspicion as you. The adopted mother immediately jumped to the conclusion that Granny Finger was SJ's mother without anyone saying anything. That's a pretty big leap to make out of the blue--just because you see your daughter talking to a woman. Also, SJ's mother seems too possessive of her. She talks as if her "granddaughter" by SJ is the only granddaughter she has....something is definitely off.

I almost wonder if SJ is doing the same thing for NH that Granny Finger did for her as a child. I find it interesting that we keep seeing parallels of young SJ compared to NH. Sees like ep 8 is going to have a big cliffhanger. 

K-Drama Reaction: Mother | Episode 5

screenshot_2018-02-15-15-26-46-58.png?w=
Date: February 15, 2018 Author: busyahjussi

A truth has been unlocked

I knew it! The barber shop lady (Nam Gi-ae) was more than just an ordinary character but was actually Soo-jin (Lee Bo-young)’s birth mom. No wonder she’s been kind to her and Yoon Bok (Heo Yool). I was holding my breath as I watched Soo-jin stumbled upon the truth and finally confronted her. The tension build-up was heart-pounding to watch and I was totally shocked when Soo-jin screamed at her while unconsciously pressing her hand against a teacup, so hard it bled. I love how the unlocking of the cable lock was used in parallel in the unraveling of the truth. We didn’t know yet what was birth mom’s real reason for abandoning Soo-jin but looks like she didn’t do it out of selfishness. Now, I also know why the young Soo-jin insisted on waiting for her mother outside the orphanage. Can anyone get me some tissues?

screenshot_2018-02-15-15-25-30-75.png?w=616

screenshot_2018-02-15-15-26-17-63.png?w=616

Full: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2018/02/15/k-drama-reaction-mother-episode-5/

Ugh Yi Jin continues to get on my nerves<_< the way she kept asking for the child's gender and her daughter is no different either. Why are they so fixated by how Yoon Bok/Hye Na look? I get it's because they're a wealthy family with a status but still, you'd think Yi Jin who shares a similar background as Soojin would be more humble or understanding...?-_- Aish Hyun Jin's reporter instincts are too strong am afraid LoL:tongue: But at least she's the only one who is sensible compared to Yi Jin tsk:rolleyes: 

LoL at poor Jaebeom! He is torn between his loyalty for Soo Jin's Mom and for the family. He comes across as a voice of reason at times, I really think Soojin's mom is incredibly selfish. By withholding the truth from Soo Jin to blackmailing her to keep her close. At this point I'm not sure if she's her Mom or a Mob Boss LoL. She seems more threatening than Soo Jin's real mom:wacko: Soo Jin's real Mom is giving most of her customers a free haircut, how does she get by I wonder?:D

I'm fearing the worst that the monster (Hye Na's abuser) might extort money from Soojin's Mom or harm her entire family. What's worse Hye Na's Mom is joining in the fun? WTF. Just because your monster is fixated/obsessed over Soojin, you're helping him out!??! That woman deserves to be locked up at a psych ward I swear! I love how Dr. Jung told Soo Jin that he was her lifeline/119. Soo Jin-ah just marry him already OK??!! 

@UnniSarah, well at least we know that Granny Finger is the biological mother. However, I can't believe they sent her to prison knowing this man cut off her finger and beat her soundly. Do they not have selfdefense laws in Korea?  I'm still puzzled as to how adopted mother knew that Granny Finger was SJ's mother. I also don't understand why she doesn't want to know the truth about SJ's mother and doesn't want SJ to have anything to do with her. Then again, her biological daughter is selfish like her too. 

8 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

@UnniSarah, well at least we know that Granny Finger is the biological mother. However, I can't believe they sent her to prison knowing this man cut off her finger and beat her soundly. Do they not have selfdefense laws in Korea?  I'm still puzzled as to how adopted mother knew that Granny Finger was SJ's mother. I also don't understand why she doesn't want to know the truth about SJ's mother and doesn't want SJ to have anything to do with her. Then again, her biological daughter is selfish like her too. 

I too wish we could find out why she is so attached to SJ. She is ill and should at least let SJ finally get the closure she needs so she can have a future. @awsparkle I think this drama will answer all our questions. I really hate the cliffhanger.... HY didn't seem to happy to seeing her mom. It is truly sad, I feel HY's mom loves HY but itsn't meant to be a mom. She is way to selfish and doesn't know the true meaning of being a mom. SJ is a better mom because of her patience and has fully bonded with SJ. 

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

I too wish we could find out why she is so attached to SJ. She is ill and should at least let SJ finally get the closure she needs so she can have a future. @awsparkle I think this drama will answer all our questions. I really hate the cliffhanger.... HY didn't seem to happy to seeing her mom. It is truly sad, I feel HY's mom loves HY but itsn't meant to be a mom. She is way to selfish and doesn't know the true meaning of being a mom. SJ is a better mom because of her patience and has fully bonded with SJ. 

I don't think she loves HY at all. She didn't grieve thinking her child had died. She's been occupied trying to hide the fact that her boyfriend abused HY. She was even willing to confess her own abuse of HY in order to protect that no good man. I think she'll want HY to come back so that it will make he boyfriend "happy". I agree that she is very selfish.

Well, there's always someone who messed the whole things up, and in this case is SJ sister! If she didn't tell her mother about Hye Na, they already out of the country and live well! But then, all of this drama will just stop haha!

I hate to see the preview for next episode, I think Hye Na will leave SJ for her mom or somewhere else, but what about that crazy psycho boyfriend???? His face is so full of hatred :( 

But I love the way this drama portrait how even though our mother left/even abuse us, we always be longing for our mother...Just like Hye Na and SJ :(

I love this show. It is so good it takes my breath away.

It also fills me with genuine dread. I am white-knuckling through it every week, and I end up very depressed afterwards. But it is still great.

This week was a gut punch, finding out the barbershop lady's back story. You knew there was *something* going on with her, but seeing it, it just really got me.

All the actors are just killing it.

I have no idea what will happen, but Soo-Jin has two moms who love her fiercely, and at this point in both their lives, they have nothing to lose.

And even though Actress Mom is a *bit much* as a person, she is not a terrible human being. I feel like she would really go to bat for Soo-Jin.

Yi-Jin would really love that. The writing is soooo good. They make her bizzatchy asides really come to life. You know that one "frenemy" you have who smiles and backhand-compliments you all the time? They did such a good job recreating that. (Ugh, she needs to be slapped.)

But then there is that crazy psycho. OMG, he really gives me the creeps. Please, please, DIE by the end the show. This guy is the worst.

And I love Dr. Dreamy. I love this actor. He is in so many dramas, but he never plays the lead. Always someone very likable, though. And HOT. He needs a star role.

Archived