[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

tompark

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing episodes. I can't even find the right words to describe how much I love the atmosphere of the drama. It feels like the drama is about to shift into a higher gear, it about to get rough and messy. The second half of the drama is going to be a rough road.

Episode 8 was so powerful, I was speechless for a few minutes after it was over...

The flashbacks showing what happened to Soo Jin and her biological mother were so heartbreaking. The actress playing the young version of Soo Jin's bio mom was so good too. In fact, can we just hand out awards to all the actors and actresses on this show? They are all doing such wonderful jobs!  The production team must have spent a lot of time on the casting of this show. I feel like every actor/actress in this drama has been perfectly chosen for his/her role.

I can't wait to see what will happen next on this emotional rollercoaster.

Wah:angry: Yi Jin's behavior continues to rattle me in ep. 08. The way she called Soo Jin at the dinner table as Poor, Old & A Single Mom was way out of line! Again how dare she!??! I'm SO GLAD that Dr. Jung gave it back to her with such a solid, good comeback LoL. Oh Yi Jin's face with her mouth wide open was pretty satisfying. Even then the humiliation wasn't enough apparently, 'cause she just had to look up what was left in Soo Jin's inheritance - Yi Jin is just delightful isn't she!??!:tongue: And Tae Mi, ugh that child will grow up to be a Mean Girl type when she gets older if noone curbs her ways now-_- Honestly I rolled my eyes when Tae Mi whines that all girls should ONLY play dolls, piano & wear dresses. These are all the same stereotypes that Koreans need to break out of! No wonder they're so intolerant of gays etc it is because of these sexist stereotypes. 

OY Soo Jin's Mob Boss of a Mom continues to be as controlling as ever even with Cancer pushing her to near death tsk. 

Thankfully Soo Jin still has the heart to find the truth on her real Mom - she deserves to, heck we the viewers do too LoL. I knew her Mom wouldn't do such a heartless thing, she simply did what she thought was best for her child. 

I dread the next ep. as Hye Na's Mom reclaims her right as her parent:rolleyes: and will leave Soo Jin behind. 

On 2/9/2018 at 11:52 PM, ihyuni said:

HN's mom is a terrible person point blank period. All I want to know is why she hates HN so much? Is she a child from a product of rape? Did she get pregnant and her man at the time abandoned her when it was too late to get an abortion so she took it out on HN instead? Who knows? But all I know is that she literally sickens me. Her break-neck pace of moving on now that her child is "gone" and being happy af about it too sure is nauseating. Let's not even start on the apparent serial child killing boyfriend she's cuddled up with.

The Doc is so cute. He listens, minds his business, and stays in his lane. He's perfect.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:14 AM, jfritz09 said:

About the title of the series: I've been wondering why they used the word madeo instead of eomma (sp?). Not being Korean and not knowing the language at all, I've come up with a theory of my own :) . I'm guessing that madeo = Mother, while eomma = Mommy?  In my mind, Mommy is what a child calls an ideal maternal figure, someone who is a source of unconditional love and comfort. Whereas Mother is a word with more complex connotations: she can certainly be a source of love and comfort, but can also be a source of pain, alienation and deep emotional scars as well.

That's my two cents anyway, I could be way off base too (wouldn't be the first time for that... :) )

Guys... I only caught up to episode 7 and have not read all your comments (which I will soon).  BUT just wanted to say... I know I could be the only one.  Doc.  Swept up bang is >>>> better than bang downward, don't you think?  Thumbs up to the haircut and new styling!

Episode 7 was soooo good.

Love how he "threaded" himself into her life after the barbershop appt, meeting her on the street at night.  Their dialogue at that moment shines.  Really, the scriptwriter did a great job at transitioning someone who was in the periphery of Soo Jin's life deeper into hers with him being YS's new attending physician (something predictable for us Kdrama watchers). It's the way how the story gave him the "healer" role connecting Granny Finger to Soo Jin and Hye Na that made me smile.. when I saw him passed the chips (with Granny's writing to HN) on it.  I really love how he changes his lane without causing an accident. :D . I think he will be key to forgiveness and understanding between the two moms in Soo Jin's life.  I don't see YS's reactions as unreal, within the realm of adopted parent and biological parent meeting for the first time with mixed feelings.  It takes a big heart for someone to adopt a child and even more patience and understanding to open her heart to the biological mother when it's time for reunion/reconciliation.  Jealousy, protectiveness, all of that is human nature, including sharing... For someone whose heart has been broken because of infidelity like YS, I think she would be super protective of anyone who takes away someone she loves.  Allowing Granny Finger back into Soo Jin's life will heal YS and reestablish her trust in another person, most importantly... another woman.  I understand why she is controlling in the way she raises her daughters from her past marriage.

Wow to the scene at the hospital bed when she connects with Hyena.  The child actress just lit up the scene with her eyes.  She emotes so well that I often forgot that she is acting. To see YS connect with HN is just pure magic... totally see how she sees the young Soo Jin once again in HN.  How it gives her strength to fight on her battle... to make her remaining time a purpose.  I really like how she reprimanded Hye Jin that she raised all three daughters differently without being judgmental. 

I still have hope that HN's mom will change.  We don't know the circumstances of Hye Na's birth.  The more I see Sung-Hee's reactions, the more I think she looks at Hye Na as a mistake she wants to forget.  She willed herself not to love or care for Hye Na maybe because the child is a reminder of her past mistake perhaps.  It's hard for someone so young in her position to separate the father from her daughter.  Thus, the reason why she is an easy prey for the serial killer boyfriend.  As a young single mother, it is not hard for me to see that she projects hate toward her own dtr Hye Na instead of owning up to her mistake and take responsibilities. Her abuse toward an innocent child, it's not right but I do see where it is coming from.

@jfritz09 I just thought the title "Mother" for the drama is deliberate to let us see different ways a motherly figure is for a child.  How a mom is to a child and how a mom treats a child.  Different kinds of love.  Different strokes for different people. Even a male can be consider a mother too.  Mother can also be a verb.  At the end, a parent love from a motherly figure can be so many ways as is the love from the child to that parent.  Remember the scene where Soo Jin asked Hye Na in her bedroom whether she misses her mom.  Hye Na could not answer then.  It's confusing and disappointing for her.  I am hoping the drama goes back to the question at the end so that Hye Na can answer it.

@Dhakra  This drama is winning praises everywhere, some press is even calling the first "Drama of The Year".  Directing, movie like cinematography, writing, acting all touched viewers.  It is so graceful, the best word that I can come up at the moment, in execution.  The way Hye Na talks... it touches me, what she said, how she said it, her eyes and facial expression is so good.  LBY is just a pleasure to watch. :)

@bedifferentAhhh....so you finally caught up? I have been waiting for you. Glad that we are able to see each other again at a LBY drama. I told you the drama is amazing! The child acting is exceptional, LBY is amazing as always and the plot drags you in from the very first second. Graceful is a word i can totally agree on. It doesn't create an overly exciting atmosphere and produces up and downs within minutes like 'Whisper'. It's calm nature is what keeps you excited.

Every minute of it makes you think about the role of mothers, family and love. There is no conversation so far that I would declare unnecessary.

I love how Lee Jae-Yoon's role is similiar to his role at Fairy. :D 

II love Mother!!! I teared up when SJ and her mom talked about why she left SJ at the orphanages. I forgot what an amazing actress LBY is when she was listening to her birth mother story and she was holding back her tears. Ep9 will be a challenge.....I really hope HN do not go back with her real mom, she's awful!

아이슬란드 (@k_mother_db) Instagram media 2018-02-17 06:48:53

my fav moments of the show... is the bonding between the two girls , its all warm and deep
but unfortunately with the always annoying korean audience ... they call this dull and dragging :angry:

the way YB feels that she is insecure about her appearance because of the norm ( here comparing herself to the cute rather bland little cousin ) ,and because of the bullying she faced in school and by her original mother ...she wants acceptance like her cousin so she thinks she needs to be pretty and very smart ..is very important issues that little children face 

its because she is different that she is special ... not every girl should dream about being a princess

its all about the wrong misconception of society of how girls should act and look .

and the motherly love she is receiving from SJ is changing the degrading way she sees herself slowly .

@Tango27, Love your posts. I don't feel tis drama is draggy at all; there is such a strong message for "mothers" and for women. BY/HN and SJ have an unconditional love for each other that isn't borne from blood, but borne out of love--both are willing to sacrifice themselves for the other.

I also loved the behind the scenes clips....they have such great chemistry.....all the women do.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:36 AM, bedifferent said:

Remember the scene where Soo Jin asked Hye Na in her bedroom whether she misses her mom.  Hye Na could not answer then.  It's confusing and disappointing for her.  I am hoping the drama goes back to the question at the end so that Hye Na can answer it.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:36 AM, bedifferent said:

I think that there are conflicting emotions inside Hye Na regarding her bio mom, which are not unlike what Soo Jin was feeling toward her own bio mom before she discovered the whole truth behind why she was "abandoned" by her. When Hye Na asked her how she felt toward Granny Finger, Soo Jin said that she hated her, but she still wanted to see her. I believe that Hye Na also felt that way toward her mom (hating her but still wanting to see her). Maybe that's why she kept watching the news... She was just too confused about her own feelings to answer Soo Jin's question. Or maybe she just didn't want to admit to herself that she was feeling that way still.

On 2/19/2018 at 4:04 PM, jfritz09 said:

I think that there are conflicting emotions inside Hye Na regarding her bio mom, which are not unlike what Soo Jin was feeling toward her own bio mom before she discovered the whole truth behind why she was "abandoned" by her. When Hye Na asked her how she felt toward Granny Finger, Soo Jin said that she hated her, but she still wanted to see her. I believe that Hye Na also felt that way toward her mom (hating her but still wanting to see her). Maybe that's why she kept watching the news... She was just too confused about her own feelings to answer Soo Jin's question. Or maybe she just didn't want to admit to herself that she was feeling that way still.

yeah, I think so.  No matter how terrible her mom treated her, it’s hard for Hye Na to let go of the bond and love a child has toward her mother.  It’s hard for HN to accept that she can miss someone whose actions forced her to run away to save her own life.  And I think it’s hard to separate the love she has toward her mom from how Hye Na thinks she should feel/react toward the terrible mistreatment.  Should she hang on to this feeling that she has toward the person while wanting to create a new life without her.

How do you like the use of the Matryoshka stacking wooden dolls?  The idea that the larger mother doll gives birth to the younger woman who in turn gives birth to another in the family tying entire generation of women.  In this drama, Hye Na used the dolls at her kindergarten school interview to represent Soo Jin at different ages.  All the mothers and women we see in this drama are the different sized dolls yet they are all related and tied to each other in some ways.

@Dhakra you mean besides the fact that he plays a doc in both shows? :) I like how he always seems so calm, has this quiet assuring protective aura about him.  I would feel so safe if he is my boyfriend.  He’s all alpha male without being alpha if you know what I mean lol

Random thoughts after Ep. 9:

- I am a bit shocked about Actress Mom's reaction. I thought that since Soo-Jin has been running away from her all of her life, that this is the moment for Actress Mom to put it all on the line and really do something for Soo-Jin that she really needs.

The legal issues seem pretty clear: give Hye-Na's mom a pile of money, get her to sign away her parental rights, allow Soo-Jin to adopt Hye-Na, and get her to sign a contract to keep her mouth shut forever. She would sign that in about two seconds.

Actress Mom is always throwing money around and manipulating people, I really thought that is how she would handle it.

So I am a bit shocked that this is how things went down, with Actress Mom making Soo-Jin choose between her and Yoon-Bok, knowing she will choose Yoon-Bok, and ultimately casting Soo-Jin out of the family.

This is a show that show all sorts of mothers, and all kinds of motherhood. I think this is how it can be with an adopted child. You can love her fiercely, but I just don't think any mom would say that to a natural-born child, even just out of anger. It's just confirming what Soo-Jin has felt all her life, that she wasn't truly her mother's child.

- Anyway, we needed this conflict, if only to bring Evil Boyfriend back into the story. If things ended quietly, with Hye-Na's mom giving up her parental rights, then we would not have to deal with Evil Boyfriend. And we have to deal with him. This man needs to have his crimes exposed and be thrown in jail FOREVER.

- No hot doctor today. :(

- Bizzatch sister still grates. Every word out of her mouth is snide and hateful. I guess she is her mother's daughter.

- I'm not a fan of Actress Mom today, but the actress playing her is awesome.

I think she will eventually come around and rise to the occasion. I don't think she's a bad person at heart. Just imperious and selfish.

- The lesson here is that not all mothers are the same, while being in similar situations.

Soo-Jin and Yoon-Bok are in the same boat in some ways - both were born to single mothers who had a tough time raising the child by herself. But the circumstances are vastly different. Soo-Jin was not directly abused by her mother, and her mother gave her up ultimately to protect her. Between her boyfriend and her child, this mother chose her child.

Yoon-Bok, on the other hand, was actually and literally thrown into the trash by her mother. Her mother very clearly chose the boyfriend over her, time and time again.

I think Yoon-Bok does "love" her mother. One thing we have learned about her is that she is a really good, kind child and also very smart. I think she has "love" for her birth mother, but the way I see it, it's really just more like pain of wanting love and not getting it.

I think she's aware that her mother is not capable of being a proper mother. I think she wanted her mother to love her, but always aware of what a crap mother she really was - to know that she was literally thrown in the trash, made to sleep in a suitcase, left alone with that monster - ugh, I can't even think about all of it without getting upset.

This Evil Boyfriend, he really needs to be pilloried and thrown in jail for all his crimes. The very sight of him makes my skin crawl.

This show is hard to watch. (But it's so good.)

I dont see  the actress moms reaction as out of character  from what we have seen from her 

her reasons for adopting SJ were all selfishness ... it was all about her needing a child to take care of her and not the other way around, SJ was there to make her feel better , and KEPT FORCING HER to be what she wanted her to be , and really thats how lots  of mothers act , biological or not .

mothers can be very selfish thinking they are being simply loving.

This episode really had my heart breaking for HN. Her mother was/is nothing but an overgrown selfish child. She loved to blame HN for her unhappiness. When she left the country with her boyfriend and HN at home by herself for days--that spoke volumes to me that she doesn't love her child. It also let her boyfriend know that HN wasn't important to her--no mother would leave their small child at home to fend for themselves......so, very sad. HN has lived in fear of being left alone her whole life.

I loved the way SJ's biological mother was able to sympathized with HN's mother in an effort to calm her down.  I have to say that I'm very fearful of what HN mother's boyfriend has planned for her. 

HN is truly seeing what it's like to have a "mother" and male figure (doctor) that is positive. 

In regards to SJ's adoptive mother, all I can say that she was so busy "acting as a mother" that now when she needs to be a mother she's casting SJ away. I also thought what kind of grown woman would say that to a young child. You would think with her about to die she wouldn't want to be selfish with her love and she would want to share it.

Poor HN is burden with so much.

@chickfactor, I agree that this show is hard to watch, but it's really good.

i find it sad when Hye Na biological mother tells her story. the society failed to give attention and care for single mothers and children. in Korea, where single mum are looked down on and the society has prejudiced against single mum, it is a difficult world. they probably wont get help from their parents or family because they are seen as being shameful. All these difficulties make them vulnerable. this may be why Hye Na's mother used to hate or feeling so annoyed at Hye Na, thinking if it wasn't for the child, she'll be happy. I think the government and society to makes laws that support single mums and make sure that the men take responsibility too. I must say that there are single mums that live fine out there but they are probably people that were raised in good condition and having full support from their parents. but in Hye Na's case, the mother's family probably has many socioeconomic problems.

The child actress was so good at her part when she said that Hye Na died and she is Yoonbok. they are really a powerful message saying how hurtful she felt. I finds those lines really powerful, She told her mum that she is going to abandon her own mum and is not going back. It's like a punch going around for the biological mum who thought that the child will always be there whenever she comes back but this time its not.

Archived