Soompi potluck

Lmangla

treat yourself  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you treat yourself (or a friend) to so you can relax? (choose your top 5)

• something sweet - cake & pastries to sweeten the day!
    • something cold - ice cream to warm my heart!
    • something salty - french fries to crunch through my worries!
    • something savoury - a nice warm meal to warm my tummy (tell us more)
    • shopping for my favs -- (tell us more)
    • a walk around the neighbourhood to enjoy the wind and sun
    • give me some bubblies - cocktails to warm the body!
    • take me to the movies - show me someone's else drama to take my mind off my own
    • zap my heart - let me be a kid and shoot away all my stress with a joystick! friends, won't you join me and play some video games?
    • treat your body to treat your heart - a day at the hair salon or spa or beauty treatment
    • treat your mind to treat your heart - do something cultural like go to the museum, watch a play or read a book
    • play a game with me - is it football? basketball, volleyball? how do you like to catch up with friends?
    • gossip! - someone's else problems always remind you that you are not the only one! and you realize kdramas get inspiration from somewhere!
    • take a ride with me! - travel away for a few days, a weekend. do you like long trips or short trips?
    • nature the healer - hike, bird watch, spend the day at the lake, sea. go for picnics at the park. what do you like to do?
    • lets have a party, BBQ and call all those you want to spend time with. what is a good time without something to munch on?
    • put me on those rides -- go to the amusement park like your favourite kdrama characters
    • music to soothe the soul - do you like to go to concerts? or just listen to the radio? how does music enhance your life?
    • other (tell us more)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/25/2021 at 07:00 AM

1 minute ago, Lmangla said:

maybe thats why favourite chefs were these ones (australia masterchef series) -- hey were fun! too bad they got replaced and thats why I stopped watching that show...

Ooh, Australian Master chef is the best version out there. The chefs are actually likeable and nice to the contestants!  :partyblob:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, partyon said:

Ooh, Australian Master chef is the best version out there. The chefs are actually likeable and nice to the contestants!  :partyblob:

not only were they nice but they were genuinely passionate about food. the new judges just didn't seem as engaging to me. gary mehigan had this series called "far flung" -- it was so much fun seeing him get so excited about street food. his enthusiasm made you want to go out and eat. hahahahha....

19 minutes ago, partyon said:

As much as we appreciate that people are bringing abs to a potluck, I find them not suitable for snacking. :sweatingbullets: I know my twin @Abs_ triggered would disagree as she would bake them and BBQ them. :D 

I never disagree, I am so shallow can’t find reason to build case , but just saying abs is suitable for snaking :joy:

Me

TCEj1lZ.jpg

Willing abs 

6YPif3U.gif

@elan1 our business is selling well :kaching1:

7 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

bwaahahah..... @Abs_ triggered @elan1 ~ you do realize that none of these abs fellas can be real chefs. like the saying goes "never trust a skinny chef"....  :lol:

maybe thats why my favourite TV chefs were these ones (australia masterchef series) -- they were fun! too bad they got replaced and thats why I stopped watching that show

That’s true, but I’m willing to be deceived by  abs skinny chefs :lol:

cindy gamrat gay GIF

Master chefs is a fun show to watch :) 

6 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I thought I by mistake came to the "abs thread" instead of the Soompi Potluck l

Abs are desserts for after having food desserts. A palette cleaner :joy:

Dessert Merry Happy GIF by TWICE

@Lmangla i would be disappointed to see the Naked Chef fully clothed.. lol

and seems like @elan1 and @Abs_ triggered hired a whole cruise ship of muscular oppa to come serve us food at potluck party.. and @partyon is screening through the whole lot to make sure that specific turkish oppa gets denied access???

Marilyn Monroe Laughing GIF

time for nacho chips and dips?

mexican-nachos-with-guacamole-salsa-and-

cr.: owner

1 hour ago, Thong Thin said:

Is called Pie Tee.

The fillings are basically turnip, carrots, prawns and french beans and tofu all shredded.

I love Pie Tee  @Thong Thin   My grandma knows how to do the Top Hats, but we had to go up North to have them.  
Recently we just cooked the fillings to go with lettuce  - can't find popiah skin at short notice.  Hehe! 

Jiu Hu Char (Fried Cuttlefish) - Kuali

Jiu hu char is stir-fried yam bean with shredded cuttlefish usually enjoyed with rice or eaten as wraps. It is a simple Asian meal which is light, healthy, low in fat and calories.

Another fav snack - Popiah

The art of making perfect popiah skin - many people in Singapore haven't  seen this | The Peak Singapore - Your Guide to The Finer Things in Life

Popiah is fresh spring roll. (not fried)

A popiah "skin" is a soft, thin paper-like crepe or pancake made from wheat flour
The filling is mainly finely grated and steamed or stir-fried turnip, bean sprouts, french beans, lettuce leave. grated carrots, chinese sausages, sliced thinly tofu, chopped peanuts, fried shallots and shredded omelette.   Well, we can also use the above filling for the Pie Tee for this roll (cheating)
It is eaten in a sweet sauce (often a bean sauce), a blended soy sauce and shrimp paste sauce. 

No thank you @Abs_ triggered I can't swim - no no!  I need float.  

30 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

and seems like @elan1 and @Abs_ triggered hired a whole cruise ship of muscular oppa to come serve us food at potluck party.. and @partyon is screening through the whole lot to make sure that specific turkish oppa gets denied access???

We can talk about Turkish food or delights , right :sweatingbullets:

I googled Turkish Delight - this came out
Fry's Turkish Delight 51 g

Goodnight @elan1 

On 2/22/2021 at 7:18 PM, Min2206 said:

For the potluck,  I will bring mini packets of the Nasi Lemak

Nasi lemak is served with a hot spicy sauce, with various condiments such fresh cucumber slices, small anchovies, roasted peanuts  and hard-boiled or fried egg. 

When they are wrapped, they look like this   (cannot put more than 3 pics - you invited the mods @Lmangla ?  They're here, no? me cannot cheat, right? )

I will bring this drink to go with it - Teh Tarik, which @sadthe1st and I enjoy much.

Teh tarik (literally "pulled tea") is a hot milk tea beverage.

I am grateful to be alive, to be here, to have met you wonderful people, even though I do not know any of you. 
Thank you for giving your time here, for sharing your views or updates on any dang thing , apart from the KDrama and celebrities and making us laugh or filled with whatever emotions.   I see people fight here too - hahahhahahhaa!  I mean, not literally fighting but exchanging thoughts .. cough, cough

Come, come , the fight won't last  come eat, drink and be merry!

@Thong Thin @elan1 @Sleepy Owl @joccu @MayanEcho @partyon @Abs_ triggered @Jillia @I am lost@Lmangla @kokodus @pompyavi @4evrkdrama @twinkle_little_star @mirmz  @larus @sadthe1st @Sarang21 @willenette @Nikaa94 @nina_mitrokhina @iksunijini5 @Ernie @MY15 @forme26 fi@shimshimae

Maybe later I bring more food, yea

@Min2206, I've not tried eating Nasi Lemak - I guess because of the hot spicy sauce. I don't really dig anything spicy. But, I love Teh Tarik. I tried this drink when I was in Malaysia. It just that it contains excessive calories and sweetness that poses a diabetes risk. hahaha - But, this is a SIN milk tea, right? I love drinking this when ginger can be added on it. :smort:

30 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

We can talk about Turkish food or delights , right :sweatingbullets:

I googled Turkish Delight - this came out

this is the sweets that the White Witch used to lure I Forgot Who in The Chronicles of Narnia

it's really sweet but i like the chewy jelly in the center.. i remember eating them when i was younger.. it comes in a tin and the jelly cubes among the whitish powder.. i can't recall if it's icing sugar or just, powder to prevent them from sticking together..

https://www.eliteworldhotels.com.tr/blog-en/food-drink/7-delicious-information-you-must-know-about-turkish-delight-lokum.4.1219.aspx

2017-10-11@03-23-48-326_1.jpg

edited: @Min2206 i saw there's a bakery shop in SG that sells turkish goodies! maybe i should head over there someday!!

https://www.facebook.com/ottomanturkishdelightssg/

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

bwaahahah..... @Abs_ triggered @elan1 ~ you do realize that none of these abs fellas can be real chefs. like the saying goes "never trust a skinny chef"....  :lol:

maybe thats why my favourite TV chefs were these ones (australia masterchef series) -- they were fun! too bad they got replaced and thats why I stopped watching that show...

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

not only were they nice but they were genuinely passionate about food. the new judges just didn't seem as engaging to me. gary mehigan had this series called "far flung" -- it was so much fun seeing him get so excited about street food. his enthusiasm made you want to go out and eat. hahahahha....

I used to follow master chef australia religiously, and the news of them leaving broke my heart. Sighhh. Where can I watch this far flung show?

1 minute ago, kokodus said:

I used to follow master chef australia religiously, and the news of them leaving broke my heart. Sighhh. Where can I watch this far flung show?

yea, I couldn't watch it after they left. it just wasn't the same.

far flung -- I caught it on TV but can't remember which channel it was. since this series aired a few years back, there are full eps floating around on youtube. just check there. gary is so cute. he was over the moon visiting the royal enfield factory and was tickled when he got to test drive. hahahahah....

19 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Hey there Chingus, so, as my Chingu @Min2206 the food has the superpower to unite everyone, and who does not like a really tasty and yummy food, and same like my Chingu I just mentioned, MY WEAKNESS IS GOOD FOOD. 

So before I start my post on food, I just wanna say what I have been saying for years, and maybe the first time on this thread, "Biryani is love, Biryani is life"

I am simple man, I find a place with good Biryani, I become their regular customer. But, none of them can beat the house made Biryani. Maybe one of the few dishes, I would never get tired of eating no matter how much I eat. 

The other dish or rather snack I love to eat and would find myself eating it at least twice a week with my friends during the college time was, Shawarma. We could just never stop eating it.

And when I treat myself, or someone else, the desert is a must, and I usually go with the ice cream.

But in the end, the time you spend with the person you are treating is more precious than what you treat them with, sometimes all it takes is to have some instant noodles with your friends and enjoy it all, since what you talk and how you talk is more important than what you have in between. So something as simple as instant noodle with some coffee could do the trick too.

Regarding what I am Grateful for, for now almost everything I have, especially being healthy. I do miss my regular routine where I would play football, hockey and go for running, but still despite not doing it all, I am still happy and grateful for it all. At the same time having joined this forum and met all the wonderful people here, who showed that there can be multiple perspectives in dramas and be able to look the episode from their POV. And well having met the people of Add/Sub thread, the thread, I almost spend my whole day in and love interacting and talking about different things with them all. 

So Chingus, come and let's enjoy in this thread

@Thong Thin @elan1 @Min2206 @joccu @MayanEcho @partyon Noona, @Abs_ triggered @Jillia @I am lost@Lmangla @kokodus @pompyavi @4evrkdrama @twinkle_little_star @mirmz  @larus @sadthe1st @Sarang21 @willenette @Nikaa94 @nina_mitrokhina @iksunijini5 @Ernie @MY15 @forme26 fi@shimshimae

@Sleepy Owl, I've tried Biryani when I went to India. Good but, it's a little hot & spicy for my taste. And it's a high calorie-rich diet - hahaha - But, nice since it's tomato-based taste rather than creamy texture. :Fist1:

5 hours ago, willenette said:

@Min2206, I've not tried eating Nasi Lemak - I guess because of the hot spicy sauce. I don't really dig anything spicy. But, I love Teh Tarik. I tried this drink when I was in Malaysia. It just that it contains excessive calories and sweetness that poses a diabetes risk. hahaha - But, this is a SIN milk tea, right? I love drinking this when ginger can be added on it

Yea, we were advised not to take the drink often - high calories and sugar intake.  Oh well, it's so smooth and nice!  Once awhile, I will ask for ginger juice to be added.     @sadthe1st love teh tarik.

4 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

this is the sweets that the White Witch used to lure I Forgot Who in The Chronicles of Narnia

it's really sweet but i like the chewy jelly in the center..

edited: @Min2206 i saw there's a bakery shop in SG that sells turkish goodies! maybe i should head over there someday!!

Ohh, you wanna buy some huh ... so you want to be a witch ?

One of Malaysian food for supper - satay
Food In Malaysia - Lessons - Blendspace

Street food - Ramly burger

Ramly Burger Mont Kiara

Another Ramly burger - street food
Subangites, You Can Now Order A Ramly Burger And Have It Delivered To You  For Free!

2 hours ago, willenette said:

@Sleepy Owl, I've tried Biryani when I went to India. Good but, it's a little hot & spicy for my taste. And it's a high calorie-rich diet - hahaha - But, nice since it's tomato-based taste rather than creamy texture. 

Chingu, it actually depends a lot on in which city you had it. The thing about Biryani is that, each city (saying most of them would be correct), have their own special Biryani made slightly different from other ones. Some contain potatoes too along with chicken/meat, some are more spicy than the others, while some are not at all spicy. So I also can't take much spicy food, so search for places with less spicy Biryani. 

39 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

Oooh, hi everyone! I love me some food- I've been thinking of cooking today but I have no idea what to make! Fried rice sounds great, but so does a quesadilla. 

Ooh, quesedillas. I :heart: quesedillas.

Give me any kind of food that originated in Mexico, and I'm a happy camper! :partyblob:

Shrimp-Taco-Recipe-1.jpg

Shrimp tacos

delish-grilled-chicken-quesadillas-1-153

Chicken quesedillas

mexican-nachos-tortilla-chips-with-guaca

Nachos with salsa, guacamole and cheese dip

Archived