Soompi potluck

Lmangla

treat yourself  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you treat yourself (or a friend) to so you can relax? (choose your top 5)

• something sweet - cake & pastries to sweeten the day!
    • something cold - ice cream to warm my heart!
    • something salty - french fries to crunch through my worries!
    • something savoury - a nice warm meal to warm my tummy (tell us more)
    • shopping for my favs -- (tell us more)
    • a walk around the neighbourhood to enjoy the wind and sun
    • give me some bubblies - cocktails to warm the body!
    • take me to the movies - show me someone's else drama to take my mind off my own
    • zap my heart - let me be a kid and shoot away all my stress with a joystick! friends, won't you join me and play some video games?
    • treat your body to treat your heart - a day at the hair salon or spa or beauty treatment
    • treat your mind to treat your heart - do something cultural like go to the museum, watch a play or read a book
    • play a game with me - is it football? basketball, volleyball? how do you like to catch up with friends?
    • gossip! - someone's else problems always remind you that you are not the only one! and you realize kdramas get inspiration from somewhere!
    • take a ride with me! - travel away for a few days, a weekend. do you like long trips or short trips?
    • nature the healer - hike, bird watch, spend the day at the lake, sea. go for picnics at the park. what do you like to do?
    • lets have a party, BBQ and call all those you want to spend time with. what is a good time without something to munch on?
    • put me on those rides -- go to the amusement park like your favourite kdrama characters
    • music to soothe the soul - do you like to go to concerts? or just listen to the radio? how does music enhance your life?
    • other (tell us more)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/25/2021 at 07:00 AM

2 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

dates are good source of fibre and normally sold during the Malay festive season.

And I dont see any Choc Dates being sold here ( not that I know off)

Dates here would be sold fresh or preserved, coated in chocolate, filled with almonds or pistachio...there's also dates syrup as sweetener or like an alternative to honey spread.

Lots of dates are sold especially during Ramadan. This year it will be on April, so before that, different varieties of dates will be sold at very, very good price.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, agenth said:

Jjajangmyeon 

Something about that black bean sauce.

@agenth, ohh..................how I love this, too! I love eating healthy food. Black bean noodles & sauce are a healthy thing alternative to regular noodles. Jajangmyeon is a popular food among Koreans. You've probably seen it in a lot of your favorite K-dramas.  :Twerkdatbutt:

I love pancakes, so, for the potluck, I will bring this  - hahaha  :Woah:

bc00e0dc-7106-495f-b552-e66dd6e7bd48.jpg   and..................... 18b75101-e6f2-4871-9ba5-b73ccb5af982.jpgPumpkin Pie   :hahah!:

9 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

"Biryani is love, Biryani is life

bwaahahhaha... did you know that during the pandemic, biriyani was the most ordered food according to one delivery provider? it was the #1 comfort food. hahahahhaah....

for those not aware, biriyani is basically meat and rice cooked together. depending on the style of cooking/recipe, it can take anywhere from an hour to several hours of cooking. it is often served at weddings as well as other celebrations like birthdays. it is basically a one pot kind of meal and does not have too many sides.

@Min2206 ~ those chocolate dates are amazing. some relatives from ME brought some when they visited. for some reason, the dates outside ME have a different taste actually. is it the soil? water? sun? something makes a difference! @MayanEcho ~ more than chocolate dates, I really enjoyed the orange peel dates -- that combo was amazing!

@nohamahamoud2002 ~ during the pandemic, I finally finished a cross stitch that I had started many many years ago! :lol::sweatingbullets:

@sadthe1st ~ I love cold cut platters and salad in buffet. have to remind myself to leave space in tummy for the mains. kekekekek......

was thinking of what food to bring today -- so posting turkish egg breakfast. it is really easy to make; found the recipe off youtube and made it during the pandemic whenever we felt like a light dinner...

DSC_0640_Square2.jpg

Thanks for inviting me!:).

I am not a big sweets person, but when I do I like Ice cream, cake or something else that I like.

Some of my favourite dishes are.

Poutine 

Poutine-Recipe-f-500x500.jpg

Chicken Parmesan 

The Best Chicken Parmesan Recipe | Food Network Kitchen | Food Network

Tacos

The Best Homemade Tacos - The Wholesome Dish

I am grateful for  social medias, to enable us to connect (With family and friends) and share our views here and to chit chat to our hearts content.

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Dates here would be sold fresh or preserved, coated in chocolate, filled with almonds or pistachio...there's also dates syrup as sweetener or like an alternative to honey spread.

I never ate the Chocolate coated dates, but like the ones filled with almonds or walnuts, never tried pistachio though. Wouldn't Chocolate coated dates be too sweet? 

3 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

@Sleepy Owl  Briyani rice is nice to take once a while ( is fattening ).

Do you have the recipe for Shawarna.

Yeah, Biryani is nice, and as you said, since it is fattening but we have it once in while. Its been a while, almost more than a year since I last ate Biryani from a restaurant, but, as I said, the one I love the most is the home made one, and we have it once in a while. 

As for Shawarma, well, we never prepared it at home, so can't really tell the recipe. 

@Min2206 Chingu, I just had poori yesterday evening :highonflowers:

24 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

bwaahahhaha... did you know that during the pandemic, biriyani was the most ordered food according to one delivery provider? it was the #1 comfort food. hahahahhaah....

I think "Biryani is love, Biryani is life" for a lot people out there :loolz:

14 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Papad, anyone? @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl 

Been a while since I had one, I will check if we have some, and have it with the tea in evening :heartxoxo:

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I never ate the Chocolate coated dates, but like the ones filled with almonds or walnuts, never tried pistachio though. Wouldn't Chocolate coated dates be too sweet? 

Not at all, the chocolate coat is very mild. The sweetness would still be more on dates. Dates with crushed pistachio fillings is very tasty! 

@MayanEcho  we called it Papadam here and taste good when eaten together with banana rice.

We can also get from Supermarket here in pkt form and we deep fry and eaten as snacks, hub likes it cause

is salty.

24060561931_66941fde4a_o.jpg

2 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Thanks @Lmangla for organising this.

I live in Malaysia, so fortunately we have access to a variety of food and flavours. As I get the opportunity to go all out...here's how I would eat my way through in one day (in my imagination). LOL

And it occured to me recently that I have the same preference for ice-cream as Lee Yeon:wub:

I am most grateful for my family, health, a roof over my heads and internet connectivity (without which I wouldn't be able to watch dramas and chat with all of you). Thank you Chingus for all the fun and laughter you bring into my life.

Hello !

I am from Malaysia too. We are fortunate to have so many foods to saviour.

Nice meeting you.

:heart1:

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

was thinking of what food to bring today -- so posting turkish egg breakfast. it is really easy to make; found the recipe off youtube and made it during the pandemic whenever we felt like a light dinner...

Whoaaa... That Turkish oppa really a BIG influence on you @Lmangla   You really made the turkish egg breakfast!!!
@kokodus @partyon @sadthe1st @Thong Thin @Jillia @elan1 @joccu @MayanEcho @Abs_ triggered  Let's go over to her place ! 

Papad, anyone? @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl 

I like this as toppings for rice based soups with fried garlic and chopped spring onions. ^_^

@Min2206 I often bring these chocodates when visiting.

We call them here papadam.  @MayanEcho Are they the same?    They will give us free, 1 each, when we order mixed rice or briyani rice. @Sleepy Owl

Papadam - Picture of E&O Fish Head Curry House, Kuala Lumpur - Tripadvisor

51 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

@Min2206 Chingu, I just had poori yesterday evening 

Yea, you have to tell me that and showed that you are jumping so happily.
I want !

43 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Not at all, the chocolate coat is very mild. The sweetness would still be more on dates. Dates with crushed pistachio fillings is very tasty! 

He is trying to tell that he is SWEET, chingu.  :D   

39 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

@MayanEcho  we called it Papadam here and taste good when eaten together with banana rice.

We can also get from Supermarket here in pkt form and we deep fry and eaten as snacks, hub likes it cause

is salty.

They sold in packet form?  the round big ones or squares?

e402fa782e8741cc662682a5a244863d

5 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

@elan1 all those potluck foods are indeed yummy & delicious. 

If by looking at those abs will shed off those calories after the potluck, all gym companies 

won't make any money from the bunch of us here

Don’t worry, I was the one that thought of edible barf bags (I’m too progressive even for @partyon @Abs_ triggered) , there’s more “brilliant” ideas to come :lol:

Yes those gyms will go under but not us :P

What will make our gym more exclusive is the quality of oppas we have...  you can only look at their abs if you have membership. The higher end memberships will give you more privileges such as 5 minute personal interactions with a particular oppa and etc lol

Korean Drama GIF

dong hyun ufc GIF

4 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

@elan1 i'm sure we have very strong jawbones from chewing and savoring good food.. maybe we could have pulled the truck of doom tying it to our jaws!

our jaws are weapons. Someone annoys us, we literally bite their heads off :glasses:

4 hours ago, gm4queen said:

No dear, not glutinous rice! It'd make milk rice sticky! You should use regular white rice. The stickiness of milk rice all comes from milk. So don't use glutinous rice. Some people use red rice as well. But white rice is better. :)

Thank you so much for this information! I want to try it :heart:

3 hours ago, SC2019 said:

live in Malaysia, so fortunately we have access to a variety of food and flavours. As I get the opportunity to go all out...here's how I would eat my way through in one day (in my imagination). LO

I love Malaysia! I was there for 2 weeks last year, I hope I can visit again one day :love:

3 hours ago, Min2206 said:

@elan1 - have to ask you, sorry, chingu, can you take Instant Noodle?

I’m allergic to the ingredients in it but im safe if I eat it virtually :glasses:

like this as toppings for rice based soups with fried garlic and chopped spring onions. ^_^

@Min2206 I often bring these chocodates when visitin

Omg I want some :heart:

43 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Whoaaa... That Turkish oppa really a BIG influence on you @Lmangla   You really made the turkish egg breakfast!!!
@kokodus @partyon @sadthe1st @Thong Thin @Jillia @elan1 @joccu @MayanEcho @Abs_ triggered  Let's go over to her place ! 

Im down!!!! Feed us @Lmangla I can eat 25 hours a day :) 

Hungry Full House GIF

40 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

bwahahahha... I think YT knows what I like as it popped up on my recommendations. :lol: kekekek... thats how I saw the video and just found it so easy to make. basically just eggs and whatever veggies cooked in a tomato sauce and the side is a spicy yoghurt. nice to have with bread. so yea, nice light dinner.

@backstreetboysfan ~ I love chicken parmesan and I always want to taste poutine when I see it on travel shows. maybe one of these days, poutine will cross my table! hahahahha...

53 minutes ago, elan1 said:

I love Malaysia! I was there for 2 weeks last year, I hope I can visit again one day 

I’m allergic to the ingredients in it but im safe if I eat it virtually 

Im down!!!! Feed us @Lmangla I can eat 25 hours a day :) 

33 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

bwahahahha... I think YT knows what I like as it popped up on my recommendations. :lol: kekekek... thats how I saw the video and just found it so easy to make. basically just eggs and whatever veggies cooked in a tomato sauce and the side is a spicy yoghurt. nice to have with bread. so yea, nice light dinner.

@backstreetboysfan ~ I love chicken parmesan and I always want to taste poutine when I see it on travel shows. maybe one of these days, poutine will cross my table! hahahahha...

Awww, sorry to hear that @elan1  Yea, show us more @Lmangla esp when they are inspired by Turkish Oppa.

Going for a bowl near my place - weather here is hot and humid

Malaysia’s famous cendol dessert is an exotic combination of palm sugar syrup, green rice jelly-like noodles, coconut milk, beans and shaved ice
5 things we love about Southeast Asia's Cendol and why the 900-year-old  dessert is here to stay - Culture

7SD4OZMRAULKZD6Q7HO6XSBJVY.jpg

Can bring this tool over to the potluck party
Cendol Is the Signature Sweet of Malaysia | Saveur

A vendor prepares shaved ice for cendol.

Different versions with glutinuous rice / corn  and other toppings

Spoiler

Malaysian Ice Cendol - CookSifu - Place No. 1 to store your recipe

Cendol Biasa

1. One of my comfort foods is kanimayo sushi. Basically the topping is just mixing crushed crab stick and mayonnaise. But it is so good. Frankly I don’t even need the rice and seaweed. My family version makes sushi rolls with this stuff but the restaurant sushi is better.

but mayonnaise ain’t healthy so i really should cut down on this stuff. I’ve been eating it a lot since the pandemic introduced me to supermarket sushispacer.png

2) I am grateful that I have a job, that I am still healthy, and for anything 三生三世 related.

3) @MayanEcho@UnluckyWhiteCat

you two are the only ones I’ve chatted to outside the ELOD forum, if only to talk about more ELOD or pillow book translations.

34 minutes ago, Abs_ triggered said:

@alan1 @Thong Thin @sadthe1st @partyonI so lazy to make my own coffee but I wouldn’t mind helping oppa to Stir his way to a fabulous guns by making me coffee

you tagged the wrong person :bawling: alan1???

Im lazy in general, let me borrow your oppas, they can even brush my teeth and wash my face for me :joy:

lee jong suk color GIF

A79-DCC9-B-6-BB0-4-B46-84-BD-CF318584-B9

36 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Malaysia’s famous cendol dessert is an exotic combination of palm sugar syrup, green rice jelly-like noodles, coconut milk, beans and shaved ice

yum, so refreshing, I love :kiss_wink:

Why is Turkish oppa featured in every Event thread nowadays?!?? 
:Furious:

@Megan I love sushi too! :fullofhearts:

The one you posted a pic of looks really yummy. When I go to the sushi buffet, I always focus on the vegetarian ones for some reason. Egg, tofu, avocado - yum!

Archived