Soompi potluck

treat yourself  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you treat yourself (or a friend) to so you can relax? (choose your top 5)

• something sweet - cake & pastries to sweeten the day!
    • something cold - ice cream to warm my heart!
    • something salty - french fries to crunch through my worries!
    • something savoury - a nice warm meal to warm my tummy (tell us more)
    • shopping for my favs -- (tell us more)
    • a walk around the neighbourhood to enjoy the wind and sun
    • give me some bubblies - cocktails to warm the body!
    • take me to the movies - show me someone's else drama to take my mind off my own
    • zap my heart - let me be a kid and shoot away all my stress with a joystick! friends, won't you join me and play some video games?
    • treat your body to treat your heart - a day at the hair salon or spa or beauty treatment
    • treat your mind to treat your heart - do something cultural like go to the museum, watch a play or read a book
    • play a game with me - is it football? basketball, volleyball? how do you like to catch up with friends?
    • gossip! - someone's else problems always remind you that you are not the only one! and you realize kdramas get inspiration from somewhere!
    • take a ride with me! - travel away for a few days, a weekend. do you like long trips or short trips?
    • nature the healer - hike, bird watch, spend the day at the lake, sea. go for picnics at the park. what do you like to do?
    • lets have a party, BBQ and call all those you want to spend time with. what is a good time without something to munch on?
    • put me on those rides -- go to the amusement park like your favourite kdrama characters
    • music to soothe the soul - do you like to go to concerts? or just listen to the radio? how does music enhance your life?
    • other (tell us more)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/25/2021 at 07:00 AM

The one thing I miss heavily after moving out from my hometown is the beach. We have the second largest beach in the world and since childhood I have lived near the beach. I used to go to beach regularly since I was young not just to play but also to eat from all different kinds of food stalls. From pani puris to bajjis to candy canes, I used to devour them all. LOL. 

The below image is pani puri. It is such a fun little snack. I can finish 20 of these in one sitting. LOL. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTn4MJg2mvz434pN15pFI0

Next is Masala puri. They crush the above mentioned puri and add lots of chana dal, onions, Masala gravy and other stuff to it. I seriously don't know how they make it, but it tastes other worldly. LOL. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTj6Pb-vzx0tnG8hyzf6IC

Vazhakkai bajji. Or Raw banana fritters.. This is all time favorite. Can make this at home also. But in the beach they give one spicy chutney as an accompaniment, that taste cannot be brought when we make it at home

wide_uncropped.jpeg?1503246005

Next item is panju mittai. In English its called cotton candy. The way it melts once you place it in your tongue......

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyvwqb8lcJnMnzcqepY6I

This is relatively a new snack stall that has popped up in the beach these past few years.....the spring potatoes....all fried potato dishes are crowd pleasers and so is this one. 

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvJphiz4Mj9DywCU1akwd

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Thirsty 3
  • Blob 4
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Members who know me will not be surprised to see me bring champagne to the potluck. During the pandemic I have really missed nights out with my friends. Good food, drinks and dancing. I know that

Thanks @Lmangla for initiating the potluck,   Below dish is called Roti Jala and is served with chicken curry, mutton, beef or dhall. Can be eaten in any occassions, and is not costly.

chingus, welcome to the soompi potluck! the past year has been a crazy difficult challenging ride for all of us. sometimes, it can be hard to remember the good things among this stress. so the th

@gm4queen do you have a good milk rice recipe for me to try? maybe this is something i could actually make as it does not involve much chewing, yes?`and coincidentally i've got coconut milk!

@Jilliathose berliner look pretty much like Krapfen haha. Is that strawberry jam inside?

@Lmangla thank you dear! I meant last year's cancelled getaway but wow it's "soon" again my birthday. :D I am enjoying all the dramas I am watching right now, even the crazy Love one haha.

@Min2206 yes!! I'm craving so much Korean food. Reminds me of Korean fried chicken now. Another one on my list:

Korean-Fried-Chicken-square-FS-New-7377-

ahaha. I've never tried making Kimchi as I don't have the patience and time, so I hope all the best for your next time! Good luck! I hope you can get some.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 5
2 minutes ago, agenth said:

@Min2206 yes!! I'm craving so much Korean food. Reminds me of Korean fried chicken now. Another one on my list:

ahaha. I've never tried making Kimchi as I don't have the patience and time, so I hope all the best for your next time! Good luck! I hope you can get some.

Yes, thank you @agenth - presently I either buy them from the K-Mart or get a tub from my friend.  She followed Maangchi's recipe and succeeded making kimchi so many times.    I love K-fried chicken so much!  But not their overly spicy ones please.   Planning to do fried bacon kimchi rice tomorrow, if time permits.

Shrimp and Kimchi Fried Rice
This one has the add ons - prawns

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 7

@kokodus ~ everything tastes good by the beach! hahahahah... even a simple cup of tea that @Min2206 posted tastes extra delicious by the sea. is it the salt in the air that makes us hungry? :D

@joccu ~ what is about baking that is so soothing? I love passing by a bakery and smelling the smell of freshly baked bread or cake. it immediately soothes and feels so warm! maybe thats why I really enjoyed the kdrama "bakers dreams kim tak gu" -- they actually baked. not cheated like in some kdramas where it is supposed to be about food and no one cooked. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 6
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 3
1 hour ago, kokodus said:

Next is Masala puri. They crush the above mentioned puri and add lots of chana dal, onions, Masala gravy and other stuff to it. I seriously don't know how they make it, but it tastes other worldly. LOL. 

I went and check out your recipe ... what a long process!   I thought maybe can try - think nope for me, I am so sad.   I don't see this being sold here, though we have Indian descendants here  (mainly southern).  :tears:

bangalore masala puri chaat recipe

source of pic and recipe link
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/masala-puri-chaat-recipe/

But I have seen these 
Masala poori recipe, masala puri breakfast - Raks Kitchen

New-Picture-5-1.png?resize=512,768&ssl=1
@Thong Thin - have you seen these puri or poori?

• Like 1
  • Love 7
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1
1 hour ago, agenth said:

@gm4queen do you have a good milk rice recipe for me to try? maybe this is something i could actually make as it does not involve much chewing, yes?`and coincidentally i've got coconut milk!

Hello chingu! So sorry that I took so long to reply you! Since Milk Rice is a sri lankan traditional dish, there are not much articles available in english! So I studied a bit for providing you with a better recipe to try out!

MILK RICE

Ingredients

• 2 cups of raw white rice
  • 3 cups of water
  • 2 cups of coconut milk
  • 1 tsp of salt 

Method

• Boil rice with 3 cups of water in the rice cooker.
  • Add salt to 2 cups of coconut milk & mix well.
  • Then add it to the boiled rice, spoon well & hit Cook button again. 
  • When it's cooked, take it off.
  • Pour the hot mixture in to a tray, spread & flatten using a spatula.
  • Cut in to any desired shape & serve.

how-to-make-kiribathmilk-rice-0230-e1482

• Please use the rice cooker since you make it for the first time! :lol:
  • You cannot spread & flatten once milk rice cool down so do it immediately while it's still hot.
  • We can definitely eat plain milk rice but it's sensational when you eat it with either Lunu Miris or jaggery.

Have fun, chingu/ chingus!! Can't wait for your feed back on my traditional dish. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 6

I don’t miss that much of food , I only need Nutella & coffee to survive  :yum:

928450C9-1EB7-47F0-8F56-AC126BA42F1D.jpg

But to survive 2020 I need soompi forum so 

I am so grateful for soompi , it friendly, save place to share anything silly or important :heart:

Thanks  to my twin  @partyon for giving me a numerous reasons every day to love her more . 
Our remarkable @Min2206, thanks for your lovely attitude every where . 

@Thong Thin thanks for being so refreshing  & a star . 

@Lmangla thanks for everything, I love your neat/ joyful thought in daily drama . 

@Sleepy Owl thanks for being charming/ funny .
Our awesome   @sadthe1st thanks for being around  you’re the only friend I will let to kt9zzT7.gif my 50 share of oppa without pulling your hair  :D . 

@joccu you’re a amazing . 
 @Jillia thanks for being extraordinary. @twinkle_little_staryour the smile that  shine with your post . 
 @elan1 thanks for begging a gift in disguise , thanks for everyone else 
@4evrkdrama@mirmz  @larus @MY15 @maribella , @UnniSarah , @kiklaminHo@nohamahamoud2002 , @LeftCoastOppa@Sarang21 @chococarmela@iksunijini5 @forme26 fi @MayanEcho

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
  • Thirsty 1

Hey there Chingus, so, as my Chingu @Min2206 the food has the superpower to unite everyone, and who does not like a really tasty and yummy food, and same like my Chingu I just mentioned, MY WEAKNESS IS GOOD FOOD. 

So before I start my post on food, I just wanna say what I have been saying for years, and maybe the first time on this thread, "Biryani is love, Biryani is life:heart2beat:

d815e816-4664-472e-990b-d880be41499f--ch

I am simple man, I find a place with good Biryani, I become their regular customer. But, none of them can beat the house made Biryani. Maybe one of the few dishes, I would never get tired of eating no matter how much I eat. 

The other dish or rather snack I love to eat and would find myself eating it at least twice a week with my friends during the college time was, Shawarma. We could just never stop eating it. 

sowzbffk7kqph6cdtql8

And when I treat myself, or someone else, the desert is a must, and I usually go with the ice cream. 

0ac187d7-d257-4158-9868-5909722a0b4b.jpg

But in the end, the time you spend with the person you are treating is more precious than what you treat them with, sometimes all it takes is to have some instant noodles with your friends and enjoy it all, since what you talk and how you talk is more important than what you have in between. So something as simple as instant noodle with some coffee could do the trick too.

MasalaMaggiRecipe.jpg

Regarding what I am Grateful for, for now almost everything I have, especially being healthy. I do miss my regular routine where I would play football, hockey and go for running, but still despite not doing it all, I am still happy and grateful for it all. At the same time having joined this forum and met all the wonderful people here, who showed that there can be multiple perspectives in dramas and be able to look the episode from their POV. And well having met the people of Add/Sub thread, the thread, I almost spend my whole day in and love interacting and talking about different things with them all. 

So Chingus, come and let's enjoy in this thread :highonflowers:

@Thong Thin @elan1 @Min2206 @joccu @MayanEcho @partyon Noona, @Abs_ triggered @Jillia @I am lost@Lmangla @kokodus @pompyavi @4evrkdrama @twinkle_little_star @mirmz  @larus @sadthe1st @Sarang21 @willenette @Nikaa94 @nina_mitrokhina @iksunijini5 @Ernie @MY15 @forme26 fi@shimshimae

• Like 3
  • Love 8
  • Insightful 1
  • Thirsty 2
  • Blob 2
11 hours ago, Lmangla said:

bwahahaha.... this reminds me of the time my cousin brother used GPS to get to the movie theatre. I told him I would give him directions but he figured GPS would be better. we ended up at a huge wall behind the mall where the theatre was. when we asked this girl playing nearby if there was an exit to go to the mall, she was like "unless you jump over the wall, no!" :lol: we ended up missing about 20 minutes of the movie because we had to turn around and figure out how to get to the mall but the movie turned out to be boring that our getting lost adventure was more entertaining. :lol:

omg :joy: in a way the GPS saved your life... it saved you 20 minutes of boredom :P

11 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

yes.. i intentionally made my font bigger and in pink! lol

hearty food that heals the heart and soul for me and my friends..

and then later regret on the widening of our waistlines

OMG you live such a fun life, looking at your IG :love:

11 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Its far too late at night to be introduced to all this wonderful food - you guys are ev

never too late in the night or too early in the morning to vacuum down good food :lol:

panda eating GIF

8 hours ago, agenth said:

Since 3 weeks (and for the next 3 weeks), I am unable to eat my favourite foods :( I am on a liquid diet due to post-surgery treatment. *sigh* And of course almost every other episode in drama has the most mouthwatering food.

awwww recover soon! You can eat virtually, guilt and calories free :P

5 hours ago, Min2206 said:

the potluck,  I will bring mini packets of the Nasi Lemak

YUM :love:

3 hours ago, kokodus said:

The one thing I miss heavily after moving out from my hometown is the beach. We have the second largest beach in the world and since childhood I have lived near the beach. I used to go to beach regularly since I was young not just to play but also to eat from all different kinds of food stalls. From pani puris to bajjis to candy canes, I used to devour them all. LOL. 

second largest beach in the world? What’s it called? And what’s the largest beach in the world???

ouch beach GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

omg feed me some bacon kimchi rice pls 

3 hours ago, Min2206 said:

Planning to do fried bacon kimchi rice tomorrow, if time permits.

2 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Ingredients

• 2 cups of raw white rice
  • 3 cups of water
  • 2 cups of coconut milk
  • 1 tsp of salt 

Any regular white rice will do or do you need glutinous rice? For mango sticky rice, glutinous rice is needed :) 

1 hour ago, Abs_ triggered said:

don’t miss that much of food , I only need Nutella & coffee to survive  :yum:

the simple life :glasses: if only I wasn’t allergic to some of ingredients in Nutella :( 

1 hour ago, Abs_ triggered said:

@elan1 thanks for begging a gift in disguise

awwwww I’m also thankful!  you have also “begging” a gift to me as well :love:

I beg for more of your shenanigans and at least a 75 percent discount on your barf bags :P 

beg please GIF by Cartoon Hangover

12 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

am simple man, I find a place with good Biryani, I become their regular customer. But, none of them can beat the house made Biryani. Maybe one of the few dishes, I would never get tired of eating no matter how much I eat. 

The other dish or rather snack I love to eat and would find myself eating it at least twice a week with my friends during the college time was, Shawarma. We could just never stop eating it. 

omg it looks so good! I had biryani once, it was so darn good :heart:

12 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

But in the end, the time you spend with the person you are treating is more precious than what you treat them with

So profound and beautiful :kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

I beg for more of your shenanigans and at least a 75 percent discount on your barf bags :P 

For you , I will gift it for free  , but I think we need to start our business gym for these food lover in here , they will need to build solid butt and abs after eating all these delicious food  :joy:

KS4SeYV.gif

g00r519.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 3
14 hours ago, Lmangla said:

this looks so cool! was trying to figure out how it is glittering. this is some sort of fancy icing sugar?

It's food safe glitter! You don't taste it at all and it's just SO pretty. I use the Edible Flash Dust Glitter by NFD (I have gold, blue, purple, and pink!) and you just have to dip the cookie ball in before baking. It's been a hit amongst all my friends! 

• Awesome 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 6

I'm a bit late, so I'm bringing dessert. :)

Dates or Chocolate Dates 

Dates--chocolates_16c19b1ae54_large.jpg

If still hungry, here are family favourites when we want food on the go while on the go. That is, if we aren't taking from McDonald's or KFC. :lol:

Felafel

Vegan-Baked-Falafel-resize.jpg

Arayes

6985c2499c8a965494d9633c3ff3b6f4.jpg

There are a lot of things I'm grateful of despite a year of upheavals, lockdowns,  and lifestyle changes. 

I've discovered the joy of watching again, in addition to books, reading, and music. I found Soompi. :)

Tagging +/- 

4evrkdrama @Abs_ triggered @elan1 @Ernie @forme26 fi @iksunijini5 @Jillia @joccu @kokodus @Lmangla @larus @Min2206 @mirmz @Nodame @partyon @pompyavi  @sadthe1st @Sleepy Owl @Thong Thin @twinkle_little_star

And also 

@SilverDawn @ChibiLy @Wuzetian @Megan @UnluckyWhiteCat @Lazuria @Pesca @Romulan @Ninky @Khue N @jimmylyne

• Like 3
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 5
4 hours ago, Abs_ triggered said:

For you , I will gift it for free  , but I think we need to start our business gym for these food lover in here , they will need to build solid butt and abs after eating all these delicious food  :joy:

thank you :wub:

LOL omg you right! We should open it up, @partyon should be our sole investor. So if business fails, she takes all the risk :P 

I think after this potluck, the majority of the weight will be shifting to the eyes. People eyes will be bulgy and saggy, we need to tighten it up. Time to utilize some of your oppas. Our eye exercises will consist of looking up and down their bodies 20 times per set :joy:

15-A43-F55-9-AA5-4130-A916-7-CE3-B94-E89

6-DFC7097-F28-E-4-D84-B6-EC-679-FECC0968

D73-B0-C9-C-AB36-4321-9-C82-37-AB12351-C

ad: Guarantee after going to our gym and working out your eyeballs for at least a month, your eyes will have six packs, enroll today!!! :lol:

@Thong Thin @joccu @mirmz @Jillia @4evrkdrama @MayanEcho @yeli @Breeze @Lmangla @Min2206 @sadthe1st @Sleepy Owl @larus @twinkle_little_star @gm4queen

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
  • Insightful 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

@Min2206  - i dont see any Puri being sold in town but I have tried during one of the Deepavali gatherings.

Is crunchy if taken freshly made.

@joccu -   I love vegan brownies with some walnut toppings

@MayanEcho - dates are good source of fibre and normally sold during the Malay festive season.

And I dont see any Choc Dates being sold here ( not that I know off)

By the way do you have the recipe for Felafel .

@Abs_ triggered  - besides nutella and coffee, you also need ABS to survive ! :w00t:

@Sleepy Owl  Briyani rice is nice to take once a while ( is fattening ).

Do you have the recipe for Shawarna.

@elan1 all those potluck foods are indeed yummy & delicious. 

If by looking at those abs will shed off those calories after the potluck, all gym companies 

won't make any money from the bunch of us here.

:joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 4

@Abs_ triggered you know licking is my favorite reaction on soompi..

oops.. it's actually thirsty hahahaha

:sweats:

@elan1 i'm sure we have very strong jawbones from chewing and savoring good food.. maybe we could have pulled the truck of doom tying it to our jaws!

after all the mains, time to slow down with wine.. and these!

cold cut platter:

i love parma ham and sun dried tomatoes but none showing in this pic :tears:

cold-cut-platter-not.jpg

cr.: owner

or some refreshing cut celery sticks and carrots, served chill with ranch dip!

blue-cheese-dressing-for-dipping-served-

cr.: owner

@Thong Thin @Min2206 not sure if there is komala's in malaysia.. it's an indian vegetarian restaurant and they serve different types of poori and other yummy food too!

i love chickpeas! haha a total fan of dhal and hummus!

i almost ended this post with a +2 lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 8
7 hours ago, elan1 said:

Any regular white rice will do or do you need glutinous rice? For mango sticky rice, glutinous rice is needed :) 

No dear, not glutinous rice! It'd make milk rice sticky! You should use regular white rice. The stickiness of milk rice all comes from milk. So don't use glutinous rice. Some people use red rice as well. But white rice is better. :)

• Awesome 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 7

Thanks @Lmangla for organising this.

I live in Malaysia, so fortunately we have access to a variety of food and flavours. As I get the opportunity to go all out...here's how I would eat my way through in one day (in my imagination). LOL

fav-foods.png

And it occured to me recently that I have the same preference for ice-cream as Lee Yeon:wub:

I am most grateful for my family, health, a roof over my heads and internet connectivity (without which I wouldn't be able to watch dramas and chat with all of you). Thank you Chingus for all the fun and laughter you bring into my life.

• Love 4
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 6

9 hours ago, Abs_ triggered said:

I don’t miss that much of food , I only need Nutella & coffee to survive  :yum:

Thanks  to my twin  @partyon for giving me a numerous reasons every day to love her more . 
Our remarkable @Min2206, thanks for your lovely attitude every where . 

@Thong Thin thanks for being so refreshing  & a star . 

@Lmangla thanks for everything, I love your neat/ joyful thought in daily drama . 

@Sleepy Owl thanks for being charming/ funny .
Our awesome   @sadthe1st thanks for being around  you’re the only friend I will let to kt9zzT7.gif my 50 share of oppa without pulling your hair  :D . 

@joccu you’re a amazing . 
 @Jillia thanks for being extraordinary. @twinkle_little_staryour the smile that  shine with your post . 
 @elan1 thanks for begging a gift in disguise , thanks for everyone else 
@4evrkdrama@mirmz  @larus @MY15 @maribella , @UnniSarah , @kiklaminHo@nohamahamoud2002 , @LeftCoastOppa@Sarang21 @chococarmela@iksunijini5 @forme26 fi @MayanEcho

First thing when I saw Nutella, I thought this was @sadthe1st.
Surprised it was you @Abs_ triggered  because you always serve slabs of wonderful lean meat !

Thank you again for your sweet thoughts of us - You are a GEM - an extraordinary one and only! 

7 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

So before I start my post on food, I just wanna say what I have been saying for years, and maybe the first time on this thread, "Biryani is love, Biryani is life

And when I treat myself, or someone else, the desert is a must, and I usually go with the ice cream. 

But in the end, the time you spend with the person you are treating is more precious than what you treat them with, sometimes all it takes is to have some instant noodles with your friends and enjoy it all, since what you talk and how you talk is more important than what you have in between. So something as simple as instant noodle with some coffee could do the trick too.

@Thong Thin @elan1 @Min2206 @joccu @MayanEcho @partyon Noona, @Abs_ triggered @Jillia @I am lost@Lmangla @kokodus @pompyavi @4evrkdrama @twinkle_little_star @mirmz  @larus @sadthe1st @Sarang21 @willenette @Nikaa94 @nina_mitrokhina @iksunijini5 @Ernie @MY15 @forme26 fi@shimshimae

Aww man, it has been a long time I didn't eat Briyani Rice.   Must go back to the Indian shops one day but due to the MCO (Movement Control Order due to Covid), have not been eating out.   I like you Sunbae-nim because
1.  Ice-cream - my fav
2.  Instant noodle - agree heartily with you on who you spend time with when comes to food.  Even Instant noodle alone is a wonderful meal to share ... @sadthe1st your fav food, no?  @elan1 - have to ask you, sorry, chingu, can you take Instant Noodle?

Thank you @Jillia on Berliner.  And thank you @MayanEcho on the chocolate dates.  I melt crazily over chocolate.

4 hours ago, Emily Bett R said:

It's food safe glitter! You don't taste it at all and it's just SO pretty. I use the Edible Flash Dust Glitter by NFD (I have gold, blue, purple, and pink!) and you just have to dip the cookie ball in before baking. It's been a hit amongst all my friends! 

Me first time hearing about food safe glitter.  I think I saw some on cakes but thought they were for decor.

Yes, I saw the abs @elan1 Finally! 
What gyming?  

Can we have the food on the abs?  I have been asking on the thread ... is this allowed?  I know @sadthe1st can go licking all time. 

Good Morning Tea Gifs for Whatsapp, Facebook {Best HD Images}

Let's have a cuppa tea first 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 7