Soompi potluck

Lmangla

treat yourself  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you treat yourself (or a friend) to so you can relax? (choose your top 5)

• something sweet - cake & pastries to sweeten the day!
    • something cold - ice cream to warm my heart!
    • something salty - french fries to crunch through my worries!
    • something savoury - a nice warm meal to warm my tummy (tell us more)
    • shopping for my favs -- (tell us more)
    • a walk around the neighbourhood to enjoy the wind and sun
    • give me some bubblies - cocktails to warm the body!
    • take me to the movies - show me someone's else drama to take my mind off my own
    • zap my heart - let me be a kid and shoot away all my stress with a joystick! friends, won't you join me and play some video games?
    • treat your body to treat your heart - a day at the hair salon or spa or beauty treatment
    • treat your mind to treat your heart - do something cultural like go to the museum, watch a play or read a book
    • play a game with me - is it football? basketball, volleyball? how do you like to catch up with friends?
    • gossip! - someone's else problems always remind you that you are not the only one! and you realize kdramas get inspiration from somewhere!
    • take a ride with me! - travel away for a few days, a weekend. do you like long trips or short trips?
    • nature the healer - hike, bird watch, spend the day at the lake, sea. go for picnics at the park. what do you like to do?
    • lets have a party, BBQ and call all those you want to spend time with. what is a good time without something to munch on?
    • put me on those rides -- go to the amusement park like your favourite kdrama characters
    • music to soothe the soul - do you like to go to concerts? or just listen to the radio? how does music enhance your life?
    • other (tell us more)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/25/2021 at 07:00 AM

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you @partyon for tagging me. Tbh, I've avoiding this thread because I want to avoid any cravings. I am on intermittent fasting because I need a reason to stop unnecessary munching plus Ramadhan is around the corner so I am preparing for that too. 

I did some thinking and I guess my favourite/soul food will be Bakso. Most of the time when I get stressed out in college, I'll be craving for food with hot and spicy broth. My friends and I would go to an extent where we rent car just to go and eat at our favorite shop while receiving orders from those who couldn't go with us. 

spacer.png

Bakso is actually an Indonesian food which literally translate as meatballs. Most of the time people will eat with what we call here mee kuning but I prefer to eat with rice vermicelli. The original soup is not spicy at all but the shop will leave a jar of sambal and we can add it on as much as we want to. I usually add those until my soup becomes black that my friends don't even dare to try and I'll eat everything until not even a drop of broth left. 

Even though it is my soul food, I am picky with where I eat it because most of the times, the broth will taste literally MSG and that totally turned off my appetite. I love my Aunt's version the most and the last time I got to eat her Bakso was last year around Raya time. I hope the situation with Covid will get better and I can visit her during Raya this year and silently praying that she will cook Bakso during my visit. 

spacer.png

My aunt's version while doesn't look aesthetically pleasing because I just shamelessly mixed every ingredients/condiments that I like together, the broth it just out of this world. I did go overboard with the meat, meatballs and the amount of soup but who cares. :coolshades:

19 minutes ago, kdramagrandma said:

I did some thinking and I guess my favourite/soul food will be Bakso. Most of the time when I get stressed out in college, I'll be craving for food with hot and spicy broth. My friends and I would go to an extent where we rent car just to go and eat at our favorite shop while receiving orders from those who couldn't go with us.

Ooh, this looks interesting! I've never heard of Bakso before - thanks for introducing it to us. :kiss_wink:

I think soup is a universal soul food. I also turn to soup when I am craving comfort food. Meatballs is also universal it seems. :kiss_wink:

Probably the most famous meatballs in the world. IKEA's Swedish meatballs. :joy:

maxresdefault.jpg

@chococarmela Did you make the nachos yourself? Is it difficult/cumbersome?

I'm too lazy to make nachos, I buy them from the store. But I do make guacamole and pico de gallo / salsa from scratch. :yum:

6 minutes ago, partyon said:

Did you make the nachos yourself? Is it difficult/cumbersome?

I'm too lazy to make nachos, I buy them from the store. But I do make guacamole and pico de gallo / salsa from scratch. :yum:

Haha, yes @partyon. I made them quite simple, with tortilla chips, chili, and shredded mozzarella cheese with pepper flakes and sriracha hot sauce.

12 hours ago, Min2206 said:

No thank you @Abs_ triggered I can't swim - no no!  I need float.  

The oppas will hold you while you are swimming. Also it gives you opportunities to pretend you’re drowning and they can give you CPR. @Abs_ triggered is a master of this fake drowning trick :P

Korean Drama Hug GIF by The Swoon

200.gif

4 hours ago, chococarmela said:

Oooh, hi everyone! I love me some food- I've been thinking of cooking today but I have no idea what to make! Fried rice sounds great, but so does a quesadilla. 

why not both???? I done that before because I experimented :joy:

I make fried rice and then I put it inside the quesadilla! Yummy :love:

3 hours ago, kdramagrandma said:

aunt's version while doesn't look aesthetically pleasing because I just shamelessly mixed every ingredients/condiments that I like together, the broth it just out of this world. I did go overboard with the meat, meatball

it doesn’t need to look good, only taste matters :P

the more meat the merrier :) 

@partyon HAHAHHAH. Funny that you'd mention IKEA Meatballs because I can never understand the hype of it. The first time I tried those, I just side-eyed my friend because we were super rushing but he insisted to go to IKEA and eat some meatballs. I was there with a bunch of friends and after ordering and paid for our food, we split into two tables and sit quite far away because there was lot of people then. Us at my table (not including him who was craving) were like trying to understand why he was craving so much for it, I never tried it before so I was naturally curious, but we come to conclusion that Bakso was wayyyyy better and a lot more cheaper. Such a kampung (village people) taste. :tounge_xd:

chingus! so we are getting close to wrapping up the potluck. since there is so much interest, we are going to extend it by one more day (the poll was set to close tonight but have also extended to close it tomorrow).

thanks to @Min2206 for theme suggestions - we are going to have a theme for today and tomorrow.

today's theme is - sour or bitter or citric. especially this past year, many of our experiences may seem that way but it is not necessarily a bad thing at times right? what is sour or bitter or citric food that you enjoy?

the green veggie in the back is known as bitter gourd. it has lots of health benefits but the taste is really bitter. so most often, it is crispy fried as chips (once fried, it has a slight bitter taste). this is a chutney version which has a sweet and bitter taste. some folks don't like this vegetable for the bitterness but it is a favourite in our family. :) 

bitter-gourd-chutney.jpg

tomorrow's wrap up theme - fruits! something we generally have at the end of the meal. so anything that has a dollop of fruit, bring! lets also remind ourselves that there's always something a little fruity/sweet in our life even if we are not aware. :)

re: @partyon and @Sleepy Owl

16 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

Thanks @Thong Thin for the tag?  Am I late to the par-tay?  My contribution is the same as what LMH brought to his camping trip with LSG--pollock roe lol

No, is never too .. You are welcome to the potluck.

:fullofhearts:

@Lmangla  before we wrapped up the Potluck party, here's Classic Cuban Mojito Drinks for everyone.

@Abs_ triggered  @booha  @dr25 @Ernie  @4evrkdrama  @elan1  @gtLmh0622  @iksunijini5

@Jillia  @kokodus  @Min2206  @mirmz  @partyon  @pompyavi  @sadthe1st  @MayanEcho  

@twinkle_little_star @CarolynH  @chococarmela  @kdramagrandma and everyone whom I missed to tag.

mojito-5a8f339fba61770036ec61d8.jpg

@Lmangla  before we wrapped up the Potluck party, here's Classic Cuban Mojito Drinks for everyone.

@Abs_ triggered  @booha  @dr25 @Ernie  @4evrkdrama  @elan1  @gtLmh0622  @iksunijini5

@Jillia  @kokodus  @Min2206  @mirmz  @partyon  @pompyavi  @sadthe1st  @MayanEcho  

@twinkle_little_star @CarolynH  @chococarmela  @kdramagrandma and everyone whom I missed to tag.

Thank you @Thong Thin for the Mojito Drink.

27 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

chingus! so we are getting close to wrapping up the potluck. since there is so much interest, we are going to extend it by one more day (the poll was set to close tonight but have also extended to close it tomorrow).

thanks to @Min2206 for theme suggestions - we are going to have a theme for today and tomorrow.

today's theme is - sour or bitter or citric. especially this past year, many of our experiences may seem that way but it is not necessarily a bad thing at times right? what is sour or bitter or citric food that you enjoy?

the green veggie in the back is known as bitter gourd. it has lots of health benefits but the taste is really bitter. so most often, it is crispy fried as chips (once fried, it has a slight bitter taste). this is a chutney version which has a sweet and bitter taste. some folks don't like this vegetable for the bitterness but it is a favourite in our family. :) 

tomorrow's wrap up theme - fruits! something we generally have at the end of the meal. so anything that has a dollop of fruit, bring! lets also remind ourselves that there's always something a little fruity/sweet in our life even if we are not aware. :)

re: @partyon and @Sleepy Owl

Thank you @Lmangla @partyon @Sleepy Owl

I go for something bitterish today
Bitter gourd with egg Recipe by Mamta Maya - Cookpad
fried bittergourd with egg

Bittergourd - Yong Tau Fu Niang Duo Bao's photo in Serdang Klang Valley |  OpenRice Malaysia

Bittergourd yong tau foo (YTF) - with fish/pork filling

Yong Tau Foo is one of the popular Hakka Chinese dish made by stuffing meat and/or fish paste in tofu and vegetables such as bitter gourd, okra, peppers, eggplants, mushrooms, etc. It can be served in soup or dry with a sweet bean sauce.

Below here, you will see bittergourd is one of the vege used for YTF
Yong Tau Fu Recipe: How to Make Homemade Yong Tau Fu

Thank you , Chingus for sharing all your hometown food.  :D

@yeli @Breeze @gm4queen @mirmz @larus @partyon @Abs_ triggered @Thong Thin @joccu @Jillia @Sleepy Owl @pompyavi @MayanEcho @sadthe1st @Min2206 @4evrkdrama @backstreetboysfan @4evrkdrama @raziela @maddymappo @andy78 @nrllee @ferily

@booha @aisling @brooksmom @cenching @fighting @willenette @tiMadam @agenth @rocher22 @africandramalover @chickfactor @airgelaal @confusedheart326 @Samuel Yohanes @Emily Bett R @kdramagrandma @jongski @Firefly @jayakris @dzareth @Nymeria289 @roli @SexyDolceVita @Madu Mita @qynn @D27Gjk68 @wolfgal 

12 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Destructive truffles. Say goodbye to diet :D

@nohamahamoud2002, wow....................this is so yummy - craving to eat this. :wow2:

7 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

I go for something bitterish today

fried bittergourd with egg

Bittergourd yong tau foo (YTF) - with fish/pork filling

Yong Tau Foo is one of the popular Hakka Chinese dish made by stuffing meat and/or fish paste in tofu and vegetables such as bitter gourd, okra, peppers, eggplants, mushrooms, etc. It can be served in soup or dry with a sweet bean sauce.

Below here, you will see bittergourd is one of the vege used for YTF
Yong Tau Fu Recipe: How to Make Homemade Yong Tau Fu

Thank you , Chingus for sharing all your hometown food.  :D

@yeli @Breeze @gm4queen @mirmz @larus @partyon @Abs_ triggered @Thong Thin @joccu @Jillia @Sleepy Owl @pompyavi @MayanEcho @sadthe1st @Min2206 @4evrkdrama @backstreetboysfan @4evrkdrama @raziela @maddymappo @andy78 @nrllee @ferily

@booha @aisling @brooksmom @cenching @fighting @willenette @tiMadam @agenth @rocher22 @africandramalover @chickfactor @airgelaal @confusedheart326 @Samuel Yohanes @Emily Bett R @kdramagrandma @jongski @Firefly @jayakris @dzareth @Nymeria289 @roli @SexyDolceVita @Madu Mita @qynn @D27Gjk68 @wolfgal 

@Min2206, this fried bittergourd with egg is so good & healthy. I love it! IDK if you will believe me when I tell you that I eat this almost everyday.  About Yong Tau Foo, I've tried eating this as a soup dish when I was in China. In fact\, I took this home with me after my vacation there then freeze in the freezer when I arrived home.  :issohappy:

@Lmangla @Min2206 love stir-fried bitter gourd with eggs. We sometimes have it with chili sauce, or for me, chili sauce and a dash of apple cider vinegar. :) Haven't tasted it as chutney, and I'm curious how does it turn out.

@Thong Thin thanks for the refreshing drink! 

I love persimmons. I can eat it all day, hahaha! 

persimmon-0790ddb.jpg?quality=90&resize=

@Lmangla @Min2206 YUMMMM. I loooooove bitter gourd. :heartxoxo:

I thought about presenting Petai or commonly known as the stinky bean. Yes it has really peculiar smell but I love it. 

spacer.png

It can be eaten raw or included in few other dishes. I am salivating right now. :rainbow:

spacer.png

and then I feel like I should just add the whole Ulam family. Ulam is just our brand of traditional salad, variety of vegetables and leaves typically served raw or slightly blanched and accompany by sauces but my pick is sambal belacan and I love it spicy.

spacer.png

My mom loves to tease me for liking these kind of food so much for a city kid. Even my older sister doesn't eat green leaves at all. We don't usually have these at home because it can get really pricey to buy the various type of leaves in the city so I make sure to gobbled up a lot when it is served during festivities or when I went visiting relatives at the countryside. I am trying to grow some of these at my backyard nowadays, I am hoping for an abundance of yield. 

7 minutes ago, kdramagrandma said:

@Lmangla @Min2206 YUMMMM. I loooooove bitter gourd. :heartxoxo:

I thought about presenting Petai or commonly known as the stinky bean. Yes it has really peculiar smell but I love it. 

It can be eaten raw or included in few other dishes. I am salivating right now. 

and then I feel like I should just add the whole Ulam family. Ulam is just our brand of traditional salad, variety of vegetables and leaves typically served raw or slightly blanched and accompany by sauces but my pick is sambal belacan and I love it spicy.

My mom loves to tease me for liking these kind of food so much for a city kid. Even my older sister doesn't eat green leaves at all. We don't usually have these at home because it can get really pricey to buy the various type of leaves in the city so I make sure to gobbled up a lot when it is served during festivities or when I went visiting relatives at the countryside. I am trying to grow some of these at my backyard nowadays, I am hoping for an abundance of yield. 

Ooo, petai is one of our favourite home meal but will have to fry with onions, chillies and dried shrimps. I can't take raw as ulam.   Sometimes we add prawns.  

Sambal Petai Prawns

Thank you @kdramagrandma for bringing this dish up.  :heartxoxo:

@MayanEcho  I love persimmons too.  But here, the fruits are seasonal, either from China or Korea.  When they are in season, meaning available in my place, mom will buy almost every week.   Do you know they have dried ones too.

Dried Persimmon Pancake Recipe | My Chinese Recipes

2 hours ago, kdramagrandma said:

@partyon HAHAHHAH. Funny that you'd mention IKEA Meatballs because I can never understand the hype of it. The first time I tried those, I just side-eyed my friend because we were super rushing but he insisted to go to IKEA and eat some meatballs. I was there with a bunch of friends and after ordering and paid for our food, we split into two tables and sit quite far away because there was lot of people then. Us at my table (not including him who was craving) were like trying to understand why he was craving so much for it, I never tried it before so I was naturally curious, but we come to conclusion that Bakso was wayyyyy better and a lot more cheaper. Such a kampung (village people) taste. :tounge_xd:

@kdramagrandma, I guess it's because they're made with all-natural ingredients. I love the sauce that goes with this. They are also served with mashed potatoes & jam. The food prices at IKEA are so low because it is intended to generate more profit to the company. :wow1:

25 minutes ago, kdramagrandma said:

@kdramagrandma, everytime I see my friends eating green leaves & imvite me to join them - I always told them - "Ohhh........sorry, I don't eat plants - hahaha. But, of course, I was just joking. :happy2:

Hi everyone 

:heythere:

Since i have a long list of my fav. food (way more longer than the “OPPA LIST” ) its damn hard to choose few among them (to post) !

So lemme move towards today’s theme :

Am a pickle person !

If you ask pickle for today I say yes 

If you ask pickle for tomorrow I say yes

And If you ask pickle forever I say Yes Yes Yes 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Literally just the thought of makes my mouth water !

Or just simply eat raw mango + salt + chilli powder + lil. bit coconut oil if needed

spacer.png

Love salted preserved fruits and veggies too

@Min2206 @Sleepy Owl @MayanEcho@partyon @Thong Thin @Lmangla @elan1@kokodus @Abs_ triggered @twinkle_little_star @pompyavi @Sarang21 @larus @joccu @sadthe1st @Jillia @Nodame @cenching @mirmz@Ernie @iksunijini5 @forme26 fi and every members I forgot from add subtract forum !

Thanks for making 2020 less lonely :heartxoxo:

Archived