Soompi potluck

Lmangla

treat yourself  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you treat yourself (or a friend) to so you can relax? (choose your top 5)

• something sweet - cake & pastries to sweeten the day!
    • something cold - ice cream to warm my heart!
    • something salty - french fries to crunch through my worries!
    • something savoury - a nice warm meal to warm my tummy (tell us more)
    • shopping for my favs -- (tell us more)
    • a walk around the neighbourhood to enjoy the wind and sun
    • give me some bubblies - cocktails to warm the body!
    • take me to the movies - show me someone's else drama to take my mind off my own
    • zap my heart - let me be a kid and shoot away all my stress with a joystick! friends, won't you join me and play some video games?
    • treat your body to treat your heart - a day at the hair salon or spa or beauty treatment
    • treat your mind to treat your heart - do something cultural like go to the museum, watch a play or read a book
    • play a game with me - is it football? basketball, volleyball? how do you like to catch up with friends?
    • gossip! - someone's else problems always remind you that you are not the only one! and you realize kdramas get inspiration from somewhere!
    • take a ride with me! - travel away for a few days, a weekend. do you like long trips or short trips?
    • nature the healer - hike, bird watch, spend the day at the lake, sea. go for picnics at the park. what do you like to do?
    • lets have a party, BBQ and call all those you want to spend time with. what is a good time without something to munch on?
    • put me on those rides -- go to the amusement park like your favourite kdrama characters
    • music to soothe the soul - do you like to go to concerts? or just listen to the radio? how does music enhance your life?
    • other (tell us more)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/25/2021 at 07:00 AM

hai everyone.. a special thank you to the lovely @Lmangla @partyon 

:foryou:

for making the event of Soompi potluck with food, unwind and fun. everybody loves a treat. I've never stopped enjoying the awesome factor of serving people sweet things. dessert is simple and honest. in my view, it makes no pretence of being healthy and offers no apology to the waistline. :D 

it has a direct, unwavering purpose: to make us feel good. the desserts are a combination of old family favourites and the current manifestations of my sweet obsessions. I'm sharing a chocolate, fig and hazelnut torte, one of my favourites. a well-written recipe will list all ingredients in the order they will be added in the methods of cake making are, preheat the oven to 160c and arrange an oven rack on the middle shelf. grease and line the base of a 26cm. soak the figs with cinnamon in frangelico, roughly chop the chocolate and hazelnuts then add to the soaking figs. whisk the egg whites using an electric mixer fitted, leave the mixer running and add caster sugar, whisking until thick and glossy. fold the egg whites mixture into the fig mixture until 45 minutes, just firm. cool slightly before removing from the tin. serve the torte warm or cold, dusted with icing sugar and cocoa powder with some cream (if necessary). 

https-prod-static9-net-au-media-Images-K

there are as many ways of making sweet things a pleasure as there are days in the year. and those who generally like to indulge in desserts seem to find this one irresistibly enticing. sometimes I like serve it warm while the chocolate is still deliciously gooey. there's something homely and humble about a sweet things. :D definitely, the best food is made at home. let me tagging beautiful Soompi friends,  @Jillia @Min2206 @Abs_ triggered @MayanEcho @larus  @MayanEcho

@Thong Thin @joccu @sadthe1st 

@Sleepy Owl   @mirmz  @elan1 @NaYouSabi? @forme26 fi @iksunijini5 @Nodame @4evrkdrama

@Ernie @cenching @pompyavi 

@fighting ,

thank you for your generous love, support and for letting me remake this recipe, a huge mess in the kitchen when I'd off duty. :D

yummy james franco GIF

Spoiler

c989889f092e3ce70625acb7ade8e2a6.gif

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/24/2021 at 5:19 AM, Lmangla said:

today's theme is - sour or bitter or citric. especially this past year, many of our experiences may seem that way but it is not necessarily a bad thing at times right? what is sour or bitter or citric food that you enjoy?

Sweetie, bitter things?!?!?! :scream:  Not a big fan of bitter things. The most bitter thing I've ever had is Fernet Branca. Has anyone tried it?

b3c9ccb03ca66653c3c9295258ea5f64.jpg

Also, wondering if anyone else's IG feed is full of baked feta pasta recipes at the moment?

baked-feta-pasta-recipe12.jpg

On 2/23/2021 at 11:26 AM, sadthe1st said:

and seems like @elan1 and @Abs_ triggered hired a whole cruise ship of muscular oppa to come serve us food at potluck party.. and @partyon is screening through the whole lot to make sure that specific turkish oppa gets denied access??

Yes, that particular Turkish oppa is banned from our event threads! Forever!

:kicks:

38 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

today is the wrap up day for the potluck - will be finishing off with all things fruity!

mango mousse anyone?

I remember @elan1 posted Sticky Mango Rice, one of my favourites.  @MayanEcho with her sugar cane, promegranate and watermelon juice.

I would like to share my favourite drink each time I go to the Indian restaurants 

Simple Mango Lassi Recipe (6 Ingredients) | Healthy Nibbles

Mango Lassi

Resipi Kuah Rojak Buah oleh Salina Jalaludin - Cookpad

Rojak buah  - Fruit and vegetable salad dish, commonly found in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. Rojak is mixed sliced fruit and vegetables served with a hot and spicy dressing made from ground chillies, palm sugar and peanuts

after mixed -rojak buah
rojak-buah - PureGlutton

Living in the ME allows someone to try the varieties of cuisines of different nationalities who call the sand pit their home. ^_^

Falooda - South Asian smoothie with fruits slices, vermicelli, basil seeds, and crushed nuts or preserved cherries as toppings.

625d7afbb06b99d88d2809bd9c14287b.jpg

Halo-halo - dessert of Philippine origin made of crushed ice with milk, fruit preserves or jellies, yams, young coconut, and ice cream or rice crispies as optional toppings. 

IMG_8011.jpg?fit=2553,1436&ssl=1

On 2/23/2021 at 10:13 PM, MayanEcho said:

also want coconut water. And now I'm also craving for avocado smoothie, if not watermelon juice.

I want some too :wub: I love avocado smoothies esp with coconut milk :)

@gm4queen I tried making the milk rice today lol thanks for recipe :) I think next time I need to add more coconut milk. 

1565-E7-B9-CDC2-4-E0-C-8302-B5-FD8628-AD

1-BB2-B13-D-9410-45-DA-B509-78-CE7-F84-E

14 hours ago, twinkle_little_star said:

those who generally like to indulge in desserts seem to find this one irresistibly enticing. sometimes I like serve it warm while the chocolate is still deliciously gooey. there's something homely and humble about a sweet things. :D definitely, the best food is made at home. 

Omg I want some of that cake like now!

bruce bogtrotter eating cake GIF

48 minutes ago, elan1 said:

@gm4queen I tried making the milk rice today lol thanks for recipe :) I think next time I need to add more coconut milk. 

Oh my god dear!! :o You tried it already!! Feel so happy that someone made my recipe here! It still looks good but yeah, the more milk the more it taste!!! :) But it's so sweet that you cut it in to pieces as well! Wishing you all the good luck next time, chingu!!! :wub:

we have come to the end of our potluck. thanks to all those who brought food and participated in the thread -- @elan1 @Thong Thin @Emily Bett R @gm4queen @sadthe1st @LeftCoastOppa @Jillia @rocher22 @madmad min @agenth @jongski @Min2206 @joccu @kokodus @Abs_ triggered @nohamahamoud2002 @MayanEcho @SC2019 @willenette @backstreetboysfan @Megan @chococarmela @CelestialKitten @kdramagrandma @CarolynH @4evrkdrama @I am lost @twinkle_little_star -- as well those who clicked the poll buttons as well as those who silently enjoyed the event.

it is said that a meal has many different flavours - sweet, spicy, salty, crunchy etc - and is a representation of a full life and all the experiences we have. so we wish everyone in the soompi community good meals filled with lots of happy memories. as many have said, soompi has certainly made our life a little easier and less lonely during this past year. thanks for the company chingus!

:fullofhearts:

catch ya at the next event!

-- lmangla, @partyon @Sleepy Owl

1 hour ago, elan1 said:

I want some too :wub: I love avocado smoothies esp with coconut milk :)

Those are milk rice @elan1
To go with curry or any gravy?

We have these here - are they similar?  
Order online ~ Express Food Delivery in Malaysia

Ketupat nasi is made from common white rice and is wrapped in a square shape with coconut palm leaves while ketupat pulut is made from glutinous rice is usually wrapped in a triangular shape using the leaves of the fan palm - wiki

Single mother sets up ketupat palas business from home - The Leaders Online

ketupat palas

49 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

we have come to the end of our potluck. thanks to all those who brought food and participated in the thread -- @elan1 @Thong Thin @Emily Bett R @gm4queen @sadthe1st @LeftCoastOppa @Jillia @rocher22 @madmad min @agenth @jongski @Min2206 @joccu @kokodus @Abs_ triggered @nohamahamoud2002 @MayanEcho @SC2019 @willenette @backstreetboysfan @Megan @chococarmela @CelestialKitten @kdramagrandma @CarolynH @4evrkdrama @I am lost @twinkle_little_star -- as well those who clicked the poll buttons as well as those who silently enjoyed the event.

it is said that a meal has many different flavours - sweet, spicy, salty, crunchy etc - and is a representation of a full life and all the experiences we have. so we wish everyone in the soompi community good meals filled with lots of happy memories. as many have said, soompi has certainly made our life a little easier and less lonely during this past year. thanks for the company chingus!

catch ya at the next event!

-- lmangla, @partyon @Sleepy Owl

Thank you so much @Lmangla @partyon @Sleepy Owl

1 hour ago, gm4queen said:

Oh my god dear!! :o You tried it already!! Feel so happy that someone made my recipe here! It still looks good but yeah, the more milk the more it taste!!! :) But it's so sweet that you cut it in to pieces as well! Wishing you all the good luck next time, chingu!!! :wub:

Thank you friend :D I hope you have a pleasant week :) 

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

t is said that a meal has many different flavours - sweet, spicy, salty, crunchy etc - and is a representation of a full life and all the experiences we have. so we wish everyone in the soompi community good meals filled with lots of happy memories. as many have said, soompi has certainly made our life a little easier and less lonely during this past year. thanks for the company chingus!

awwww well said! Take care everyone, so much food these past few days :P time to work out, don’t forget to enroll into the gym founded by @Abs_ triggeredand I :lol:

Korean Drama GIF

we hired two new gym instructors :)

Spoiler

07-ABB9-D9-2-F0-E-4259-B4-B6-C5-C5-F9-F5

Spoiler

0-FF7332-D-CC94-4-ED2-984-A-568-F4-B201-

20 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Those are milk rice @elan1
To go with curry or any gravy?

We have these here - are they similar? 

I feel like you can eat it with anything you like :)  I notice they eat it with lunu miris but you don’t have to. I eat it with other foods today lol

I think the biggest difference is the rice. The milk rice is made out of regular rice while yours is made out of glutinous rice 

How to make the lunu miris

• 100g Dried red chili
  • 100g (small red onions) Shallots
  • To taste Salt
  • 1 ½ tsp Lime juice
20 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

nasi is made from common white rice and is wrapped in a square shape with coconut palm leaves while ketupat pulut is made from glutinous rice is usually wrapped in a triangular shape using the leaves of the fan palm - wiki

that looks yummy :) 

Hi All!!!

Thank you to the organizers for creating this! Food is life!

I was praying so hard that I can make it on time before this thread closes! :lol:

Sorry being in a rush I'm not able to tag each of you personally to reply. But I managed to glance some of the posts here. 

Fellow Malaysians do give me a shout out! ;)

Me, practically a 饭桶 (fan tung/literal translation would mean rice bucket - someone who can't live without rice! Or it could be a mean saying someone is useless too) 

So I present to you my Carbo collection of rice and noodles! :D

AgZ5qfm.jpg

I have only started cooking seriously during the pandemic. Since we were unable to go out to dine, hence I tried cooking more of Malay & Indian dishes at home to add on to our Chinese palette. To a point, my neighbours thought I was cooking because I was trying to impress my future Malay/Indian Mother-in-Law!

:hahah!:

I saw someone here likes petai! High 5! One of my favourite dish! 

Truly grateful to have Soompi community that binds us together in this weather. Keep it up with more interesting and creative topics! 

Last but not least, hope everyone is in good health and stay safe!

:heartxoxo:

@MayanEcho Thanks for the tag!

2 hours ago, Wuzetian said:

Hi All!!!

Thank you to the organizers for creating this! Food is life!

I was praying so hard that I can make it on time before this thread closes! :lol:

Sorry being in a rush I'm not able to tag each of you personally to reply. But I managed to glance some of the posts here. 

Fellow Malaysians do give me a shout out! ;)

Me, practically a 饭桶 (fan tung/literal translation would mean rice bucket - someone who can't live without rice! Or it could be a mean saying someone is useless too) 

So I present to you my Carbo collection of rice and noodles! :D

I have only started cooking seriously during the pandemic. Since we were unable to go out to dine, hence I tried cooking more of Malay & Indian dishes at home to add on to our Chinese palette. To a point, my neighbours thought I was cooking because I was trying to impress my future Malay/Indian Mother-in-Law!

I saw someone here likes petai! High 5! One of my favourite dish! 

Truly grateful to have Soompi community that binds us together in this weather. Keep it up with more interesting and creative topics! 

Last but not least, hope everyone is in good health and stay safe!

@MayanEcho Thanks for the tag!

Apa khabar @Wuzetian?    Wow!  You are just on time!   Amazing dishes!    I didn't know we can do capsicum stuff rice. 
Interesting!

Teh Tarik - Kuali

@sadthe1st - you need to come back here.  I bought you a TT.   @Thong Thin too .. hahahhahhaha!  

55 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Apa khabar @Wuzetian?    Wow!  You are just on time!   Amazing dishes!    I didn't know we can do capsicum stuff rice. 
Interesting!

@sadthe1st - you need to come back here.  I bought you a TT.   @Thong Thin too .. hahahhahhaha!  

Hello @Min2206 @sadthe1st @Thong Thin Khabar baik!

The dish was delicious but it took me 5 hours to make it...Maybe I am just a slow worker :D Here's link :

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/capsicums-stuffed-tomato-olive-rice/baaaf861-2464-4663-a41e-f349b8d7c349

I can't remember if I've ever drank TT. I think it's just too sweet judging from the milk they use. And I hardly do mamak. So not Malaysian lol

8 hours ago, Wuzetian said:

Hello @Min2206 @sadthe1st @Thong Thin Khabar baik!

The dish was delicious but it took me 5 hours to make it...Maybe I am just a slow worker  Here's link :

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/capsicums-stuffed-tomato-olive-rice/baaaf861-2464-4663-a41e-f349b8d7c349

I can't remember if I've ever drank TT. I think it's just too sweet judging from the milk they use. And I hardly do mamak. So not Malaysian lol

Hello @Wuzetian  

Nice to meet another fellow Malaysian here.

How are you.

Thanks for offering those carbs.

By the way, where is your hangout.

Do join us at the Add and Subtract Game thread if you are available.

@Min2206  I am not a TT drinker, thank you, is @sadthe1st favourite.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:44 AM, Thong Thin said:

Hello @Wuzetian  

Nice to meet another fellow Malaysian here.

How are you.

Thanks for offering those carbs.

By the way, where is your hangout.

Do join us at the Add and Subtract Game thread if you are available.

@Min2206  I am not a TT drinker, thank you, is @sadthe1st favourite.

Nice meeting you @Thong Thin!

Hope you are keeping well too. 

Usual hang out will be anything to do with Pillow Book (ELOD) or Vengo Gao & Dilireba ship :wub:

Thanks for head up. Will join you all in the Add & Subtract Game ;) Btw just a curious question. All about Maths only? Are we allowed to post anything other than maths? :lol:

49 minutes ago, Wuzetian said:

Nice meeting you @Thong Thin!

Hope you are keeping well too. 

Usual hang out will be anything to do with Pillow Book (ELOD) or Vengo Gao & Dilireba ship 

Thanks for head up. Will join you all in the Add & Subtract Game  Btw just a curious question. All about Maths only? Are we allowed to post anything other than maths? 

Good day. 

You can chat any topics to your whims :blush:

Archived