Soompi potluck

Lmangla

treat yourself  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you treat yourself (or a friend) to so you can relax? (choose your top 5)

• something sweet - cake & pastries to sweeten the day!
    • something cold - ice cream to warm my heart!
    • something salty - french fries to crunch through my worries!
    • something savoury - a nice warm meal to warm my tummy (tell us more)
    • shopping for my favs -- (tell us more)
    • a walk around the neighbourhood to enjoy the wind and sun
    • give me some bubblies - cocktails to warm the body!
    • take me to the movies - show me someone's else drama to take my mind off my own
    • zap my heart - let me be a kid and shoot away all my stress with a joystick! friends, won't you join me and play some video games?
    • treat your body to treat your heart - a day at the hair salon or spa or beauty treatment
    • treat your mind to treat your heart - do something cultural like go to the museum, watch a play or read a book
    • play a game with me - is it football? basketball, volleyball? how do you like to catch up with friends?
    • gossip! - someone's else problems always remind you that you are not the only one! and you realize kdramas get inspiration from somewhere!
    • take a ride with me! - travel away for a few days, a weekend. do you like long trips or short trips?
    • nature the healer - hike, bird watch, spend the day at the lake, sea. go for picnics at the park. what do you like to do?
    • lets have a party, BBQ and call all those you want to spend time with. what is a good time without something to munch on?
    • put me on those rides -- go to the amusement park like your favourite kdrama characters
    • music to soothe the soul - do you like to go to concerts? or just listen to the radio? how does music enhance your life?
    • other (tell us more)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/25/2021 at 07:00 AM

23 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

@MayanEcho  I love persimmons too.  But here, the fruits are seasonal, either from China or Korea.  When they are in season, meaning available in my place, mom will buy almost every week.   Do you know they have dried ones too.

@Min2206, I love it, too, haven't tried the dried ones, though. :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Do you know they have dried ones too.

I haven't seen the dried ones here. The persimmons sold here are usually from Iran. 

I don't often see Asian pear, but I purchase if still fresh and if the skin isn't mangled. :)

two-chinese-pears-asian-pear-isolated-wh

And, I'm suddenly craving for sugarcane juice. Basically the only sweet juice I am happy to drink. :lol:

Sugarcane-Juice1.jpg

Just now, MayanEcho said:

I haven't seen the dried ones here. The persimmons sold here are usually from Iran. 

I don't often see Asian pear, but I purchase if still fresh and if the skin isn't mangled. :)

And, I'm suddenly craving for sugarcane juice. Basically the only sweet juice I am happy to drink. :lol:

@MayanEcho, they say that too much of this has certain side effects like insomnia, upset stomach, dizziness, headaches and weight loss (if consumed excessively). IDK if it's true, though. It's sweet but this is fat-free. It is naturally sweet. Therefore, you don't need to add any sweeteners to it.  :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

22 minutes ago, 4evrkdrama said:

Hi everyone 

Since i have a long list of my fav. food (way more longer than the “OPPA LIST” ) its damn hard to choose few among them (to post) !

So lemme move towards today’s theme :

Am a pickle person !

If you ask pickle for today I say yes 

If you ask pickle for tomorrow I say yes

And If you ask pickle forever I say Yes Yes Yes 

Literally just the thought of makes my mouth water !

Or just simply eat raw mango + salt + chilli powder + lil. bit coconut oil if needed

Love salted preserved fruits and veggies too

@Min2206 @Sleepy Owl @MayanEcho@partyon @Thong Thin @Lmangla @elan1@kokodus @Abs_ triggered @twinkle_little_star @pompyavi @Sarang21 @larus @joccu @sadthe1st @Jillia @Nodame @cenching @mirmz@Ernie @iksunijini5 @forme26 fi and every members I forgot from add subtract forum !

Thanks for making 2020 less lonely 

Aww @4evrkdrama Totally forgot about pickles!  How can we live without them?  LOLLL
sugar, salt and vinegar and a dash of chillies -- you can do it anytime.
:heartxoxo:

21 minutes ago, willenette said:

@Min2206, I love it, too, haven't tried the dried ones, though. :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

@willenetteMy grandma used to tell us, those days they never had fresh persimmons back then, so they relied on the dried ones from China.  That's how I know.  Because nowadays, we get the fresh one readily available.

Amazon.com : China Good Food 包邮Chinese Snacks Specialty(圆柿饼500g/袋 Dried  persimmon)软糯香甜 山东临沂特产 特级无添加柿餅ShiBing : Grocery & Gourmet Food

19 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Your red sugar cane pic is so beautiful -- makiing me thirsting for it too - but with iced! 

What a coincidence @Thong Thin 

ooh @4evrkdrama ~ that reminds me of one of my favourite sour things - tamarind candy. the sourness mixed with sweet sugar coating, so yum!

1675573966471915075_IMG_4537.jpg

@kdramagrandma ~ green leaves (spinach) varieties are yum; the pain for me is figuring out which ones you can eat the stem (so chop all and put) and which ones you can only eat leaves (which means you have to pluck them and sometimes I feel so lazy :sweatingbullets:) @willenette ~ wanted to put LOL as your note reminded me of some family members who don't like green leaves. hahahahaha...

@CarolynH ~ was looking at the pic and was wondering what is pollack roe. is that a type of fish? :sweatingbullets:

@Thong Thin ~ is classic cuban mojito the fancy name for lime and mint juice? looks so refreshing - perfect summer drink!

@Min2206 ~ didn't know you could stuff bitter gourd with fillings and cook. something new!

@MayanEcho ~ am not a great fan of sugarcane juice but I like it when they add ginger to it. then it has a bit of a kick!

12 minutes ago, willenette said:

@MayanEcho, they say that too much of this has certain side effects like insomnia, upset stomach, dizziness, headaches and weight loss (if consumed excessively). IDK if it's true, though. It's sweet but this is fat-free. It is naturally sweet. Therefore, you don't need to add any sweeteners to it.  :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

We have it once in a while, if sugarcane is at the store. They freshly squeeze it, then you choose some flavors to add like mint or raspberries. I like mint best with sugarcane juice, but I like it too as it is.

@Lmangla I've tried it too with ginger! 

So far haven't experienced any of those you mentioned, maybe coz we only take half a liter at most.

I'm craving for pomegranate juice! Ramadan is in a couple of months, and this juice is one of the nicest to have after a day of fasting.

Pomegranate-Juice.jpg

10 minutes ago, willenette said:

@MayanEcho, they say that too much of this has certain side effects like insomnia, upset stomach, dizziness, headaches and weight loss (if consumed excessively). IDK if it's true, though. It's sweet but this is fat-free. It is naturally sweet. Therefore, you don't need to add any sweeteners to it.  

Once awhile okay, @willenette when you feel like having a drink to really cool your body down.   I don't normally go for it, unless I see the vendor juice it in front of me, meaning I ask them to pack when I buy.    Usually I will go for coconut water.

Coconut water - Wikipedia

straight from the fruit

15 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

We have it once in a while, if sugarcane is at the store. They freshly squeeze it, then you choose some flavors to add like mint or raspberries. I like mint best with sugarcane juice, but I like it too as it is.

So far haven't experienced any of those you mentioned, maybe coz we only take half a liter at most.

I'm craving for pomegranate juice! Ramadan is in a couple of months, and this juice is one of the nicest to have after a day of fasting.

@MayanEcho, since you mentioned & posted a picture of this, I'm also craving for this juice, too. Pomegranate juice contains higher levels of antioxidants than most other fruit juices. According to a recent study, drinking pomegranate juice daily has shown to lower blood pressure, improve cholesterol and cleanse plaque from arteries—all good news for your heart. According to my dermatologists, pomegranate juice can help replenish dry & dull skin.  :wow1:

29 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

@Thong Thin ~ is classic cuban mojito the fancy name for lime and mint juice? looks so refreshing - perfect summer drink!

The Mojito drinks definitely good after eating those yummy foods being served at the potluck.

@MayanEcho Pomegranate juice or a fruite by itself are a little expensive here but cheap in Thailand.

@Min2206  aiya, how can we forget coconut water, is best for tummy and refreshing direct from the fruit.

And, I cook hotpot using coconut water to get the sweetness.

@MayanEcho sugarcane has its natural sweetness, but one has to be carefull if getting from side road vendors.

Me & hub had a very bad experience during out last trip to Cambodia, since then we never dare to drink sugar cane again.

19 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

sugarcane has its natural sweetness, but one has to be carefull if getting from side road vendors.

Me & hub had a very bad experience during out last trip to Cambodia, since then we never dare to drink sugar cane again.

Oh, that's horrible! No, we don't buy it at the side road vendors. We buy it at the hypermarket, wherein they clean and peel it in front of you. You watch as they feed it to the machine as juice trickle out. Everything's clean, and the juicers are using hairnet and gloves. 

@Min2206 I also want coconut water. And now I'm also craving for avocado smoothie, if not watermelon juice.

EASY-Creamy-Avocado-Smoothie-Recipe-500x

Watermelon-Juice-Square.jpg

20 minutes ago, willenette said:

According to a recent study, drinking pomegranate juice daily has shown to lower blood pressure, improve cholesterol and cleanse plaque from arteries—all good news for your heart. According to my dermatologists, pomegranate juice can help replenish dry & dull skin. 

All the more reason to have pomegranate!:)

1 hour ago, Thong Thin said:

@MayanEcho Pomegranate juice or a fruite by itself are a little expensive here but cheap in Thailand.

@Min2206  aiya, how can we forget coconut water, is best for tummy and refreshing direct from the fruit.

And, I cook hotpot using coconut water to get the sweetness.

Geez, we are all into juice and smoothies now.   @MayanEcho promegranate itself is expensive here, same goes with the juice as said by @Thong Thin 
Waee.. I didn't know you can do the hotpot broth with coconut water.  Okay, learning something new. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, I am lost said:

These posts makes me hungry

Now you know why I keep coming back.  The photos here are so prettily delicious.

Back to citrus, bitter or sour food

Is coffee considered bitter?  Haha!   I always have it sweetened.  What will happen to us if we have no coffee? 

Coffee is one of the most widely consumed beverages around the world and the top source of antioxidants in the American diet.   Like most bitter foods, coffee is packed with polyphenols that give the brew its unique taste

Black Coffee GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Iced Coffee with Milk: Starbucks Coffee Company

12 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Geez, we are all into juice and smoothies now.   @MayanEcho promegranate itself is expensive here, same goes with the juice as said by @Thong Thin 
Waee.. I didn't know you can do the hotpot broth with coconut water.  Okay, learning something new. Thanks!

When you eat out, the waiter will normally re-fill the hotpot with broth, at home you cannot afford to boil so much broth.

Instead, i fill the hotpot with fresh coconut water if the broth level reduces.

@Lmangla  Pollack is a type of fish , and when I do have my craving, I will visit one of the Korean Restaurant.

They are mostly served as soup based.

I don't see them selling at our local wet market. @Min2206  you see any near your place ?

8 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

@Lmangla  Pollack is a type of fish , and when I do have my craving, I will visit one of the Korean Restaurant.

They are mostly served as soup based.

I don't see them selling at our local wet market. @Min2206  you see any near your place ?

Noted on the coconut water @Thong Thin

I am not really a fish person, sadly.  Parents are the ones who go buy.  No clue what pollack is.  Mian he.

But I will eat , for sure :D

24 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Noted on the coconut water @Thong Thin

I am not really a fish person, sadly.  Parents are the ones who go buy.  No clue what pollack is.  Mian he.

But I will eat , for sure 

I love fish especially Salmon, either steam or grill and top with teriyaki sauce.

Your next visit to any Korean Restaurant, try the pollack soup. You will like it.

25 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

I love fish especially Salmon, either steam or grill and top with teriyaki sauce.

Your next visit to any Korean Restaurant, try the pollack soup. You will like it.

Korean shop huh?  Okie dokie

I just read that it's for hangover cure?

Dried pollock soup (Bugeoguk) recipe - Maangchi.com

pic from maaangchi - Dried pollock soup (Bugeoguk)

Thanks for the coffee mousse @Lmangla :wub:

bitter theme??

emping melinjo!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emping

the one below is mildly salted.. but there's those which are coated with honey chili and they are really addictive snacks!

3f38b36d57a739f01668f9f55e27b144_2.jpg

cr.: owner

and i saw many chingus posted about fresh coconut drink..

there is this franchise in singapore called Mr. Coconut

https://mrcoconut.sg/full-website/

best for hot weather!!

11 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Once awhile okay, @willenette when you feel like having a drink to really cool your body down.   I don't normally go for it, unless I see the vendor juice it in front of me, meaning I ask them to pack when I buy.    Usually I will go for coconut water.

straight from the fruit

@Min2206, yes, dear - you will never go wrong with coconut water. :issohappy:

Archived