[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

Heol!! This episode!!!!!!

So much happened, so many thoughts??

Why oh why Sun ah did you have to kill my crush?? Just when I was falling more in love with him:sad1: She just woke a sleeping lion by killing K. I don’t understand why she decided killing K and Gaon was the best thing to do, if anything the better option would have been to kill Yohan himself. If Yohan lives, he’s not stopping until one of them is dead. And I totally 100% believed Yohan when he said he would kill her in a lonely and miserable way, that laugh was chilling to the bone and swore vengeance. I’m excited to see how he means by a lonely and miserable death to an already lonely Sunah. I really loved K and his absolute loyalty to Yohan, I will miss him. 

Yohan was kinda inactive in this episode, he wasn’t really doing much after Gaon abandoned him and it really affected him. I’m glad he was trying to be there for Elijah after Gaon left, he really needs to improve their relationship. With what he told Elijah about Gaon not being her father, I think he also meant it for himself. He was beginning to see Gaon as somewhat of his brother and blurring Gaon with his brother similar to Elijah. That’s why he said it hurts in his dream since it would have felt like his own brother abandoned him. 

Still don’t like Soo Hyun, the way she went to report Gaon to the professor was so funny to me. I still don’t understand where her hate for Yohan comes from though, at least she’s doing something independent of Gaon by investigating the church fire. I’m curious about what she’ll find about what caused the fire. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 3

While that ending was a little ... Eh? :blink:  - still a good episode.

So while I know I'm in the minority that loves Soo Hyun & Ga-On, I gotta say how much I enjoyed watching their fallout.  From the first second he turned around, he knew he screwed up BAD, and even though she said she never wanted to see his face again, she is still full on protecting/looking out for him - it'll take awhile, but they will find their way back to each other.

An equally big heartache was Ga-On having to leave Elijah - I went from cheering after Ga-On refused Yo-Han and said Soo-Hyun was his world, to misty eyed as he had to leave Elijah there ... seeing the painting was just a knife twist in the heart. 

As for that ending ...

First, Ga-On wandering outrageously untouched through the rioting - when he was on the outskirts okay, but when he was wandering block by block and no one took a shot at him?  ... and sorry, while I'm sure some might say they recognized him and stayed away, I don't buy it - You don't go to a public riot to spot celebrities.

Second, the police standing by, as the Foundation goons rage ... and Judge Oh is on the big screen adding legitimacy to the event - let the takeover begin

Lastly, Yo-Han & Sun-Ah face off - everything was great about this scene right up to the moment he got shot - the man took a bullet to the abdomen, and not only did he not fall, he then climbed a flight of stairs, to get to another face off and hostage drop ... and still he's on his feet

Come On Reaction GIF

... but hey, I'm dramatically flexible - if Yo-Han can climb a flight of stairs and remain standing after being shot in the abdomen, and per preview is clearly still alive - then how about we get a second season of CLOY?  If an abdomen gunshot didn't kill Yo-Han, then it shouldn't have killed Gu Seung-Jun ... Get on it writers! I want my Seo Dan/ Seung-Jun reunion.

BTW, per preview, it looks like Ga-On will survive that mob bearing down on him without a scratch. Looks like Soo Hyun to the rescue again - Mowing them down with the car ... should be fun

Another long wait til next episode

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 1

There are many plot holes or WTH moments happening lately, but I will get back to them later. 

I am still annoyed with Soo Hyun here. Firstly Cha Kyung Hee killing herself was a fact. So I don't understand why she was reacting that way there. If she is thinking Yo Han and Ga On pushed her to do it, well, she is being narrow minded here. Cha Kyung Hee went that way since she got trapped in her own schemes and also with the truth behind her wrong accusations came out. Would Soo Hyun really react that way if Cha Kyung Hee would kill herself without anyone in the room? Yes, Yo Han and Ga On in a way caused this to happen, but should they not search for the truth or fight back then? It is plain stupid. Cha Kyung Hee killing herself was something even Yo Han didn't predict, and he was more shocked than Ga On was at that time. So I don't really understand Soo Hyun here, and she is borderline obsessed with arresting Yo Han here, and she is pursuing it not because she thinks Yo Han is wrong, but in her mind she is doing it to save Ga On. Again, not something I am liking about her. 

Talking about Ga On, as I said, I was shocked that while Yo Han was still in shock to see Cha Kyung Hee dead, Ga On was worried about getting the files. It was good to see him suffer later on. I think it was good that he took a stand for himself and didn't accept to abandon or leave Soo Hyun when Yo Han told him to choose. I hope he continues to make decisions for himself, based on the things he believes himself and not something someone told him about. 

At the same time, Justice Min also seemed to be overreacting in my opinion. Both Soo Hyun and Justice Min are failing to understand that there is one more group present, far more dangerous and capable of doing worse things than Yo Han and that Yo Han is standing against them right now. Yo Han is the last person standing against their plan, and the only person capable of stopping them. Instead, they are blaming Yo Han for whatever is happening in the country. It is stupid again, since, it was the President who was supporting the group beating immigrant workers. They can't understand that Yo Han is standing against them, despite him declaring a literal war against all those people in the live show. Also, a corrupt minister killing herself because she didn't want to be punished for her crimes, does not mean we got to stop the court. Once again, I feel this is very much related to Justice Min wanting to "save" Ga On from Yo Han since Soo Hyun told him about what happened. While all these guys are busy going after Yo Han to "save" Ga On from it, there is one dude who is planning to become a dictator. 

It is good to see Yo Han changing too, seeing how he tried to be there for Elijah and asked for forgiveness for being rude. Also it was good for him to give reality check to her that "Ga On is not her dad", it was harsh, but I think it was required, and also it felt like he was telling it to himself too. Since we have seen him comparing Ga On to his brother from time to time. 

Killing Yo Han's closest assistant wasn't a good idea in my opinion. Sun Ah more than others should have known she cannot Yo Han in any way. We see her going for Elijah next episode as per the previews, but I think Yo Han will find a break free. Killing K was enough to wake up the devil in Yo Han, and going after Elijah will not end well. I think if there is someone who should be worried, it needs to be Sun Ah's assistant. Yo Han will be going after her for 2 reasons, she is Sun Ah's limbs doing all the work for her, and also since she is kinda the same to Sun Ah as K was to him. 

But I do feel they killed "K" kinda early. I don't expect him to survive that fall there, or maybe we will suddenly him appear shocking everyone since they all thought he died. But, I still place my bet on that guy dying. 

Jin Joo is also too easy to manipulate seeing how she assisted the foundation with that fake news. I am shocked she didn't even think about checking things out despite knowing those guys are the ones Yo Han is after and for what reason. Sometimes I wonder if the characters here use their mind or they have decided the likes of Sun Ah, Yo Han and other bad guys to do the thinking. 

Now talking about the WTH moments, getting shot in the abdomen and still having the energy to reach the top. I mean I do understand Yo Han wanted to save K, but maybe it would have been better to get in the shoulder or somewhere else where it would make sense for him to reach there. 

Another one once again, why not just kill Yo Han. It was their golden change to get rid of him, and they went after his guy only to enrage him. Cha Kyung Hee could have shot him if she really had planned to kill herself, since her personality was more like "If I am going down, I am gonna take you with myself". Anyway, let's just ignore such stuff. We have 4 episodes left, some questions to be answered, especially the one surrounding the fire incident as Soo Hyun is shown investigating it. So I am hoping we will see more into that incident. 

PS: My favorite Dialogue of this week: "I am abyss" :piggydance:

• Like 10

On 8/8/2021 at 2:09 PM, LeftCoastOppa said:

A very good point, to which I'd add - Once Cha decided to kill herself, why not take Yo-Han with her? He's clearly the architect of her demise, simply call him back in, and allow the door to close behind him, she pulls the gun out from under the desk, and its over ... no way to cross the room/desk to stop her, and no way to get back through the door. 

Again, I know she's a doomed, but the way she ends does not do her character justice ... no pun intended :rolleyes:

Ah, but Cha Kyung Hee wouldn't want to kill Yo Han. Her downfall was at least 50% due to the President who threatened her son. Plus that group had not been including her in the recent discussions and plans. So if I were her, I would leave Yo Han to bring down my former partners.

13 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

... but hey, I'm dramatically flexible - if Yo-Han can climb a flight of stairs and remain standing after being shot in the abdomen, and per preview is clearly still alive - then how about we get a second season of CLOY?  If an abdomen gunshot didn't kill Yo-Han, then it shouldn't have killed Gu Seung-Jun ... Get on it writers! I want my Seo Dan/ Seung-Jun reunion.

Yes, Gu Seung Jun shouldn't have died! Love this paragraph :lol:

8 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Another one once again, why not just kill Yo Han. It was their golden change to get rid of him, and they went after his guy only to enrage him.

Hello @Sleepy Owl long time no see :kiss_wink:. Sun Ah has a soft spot for Yo Han. You can see she was a bit worried when he was shot. In her heart, he is her soul mate and she hopes they can rule the world together.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think Sun-Ah meant to kill Yohan, as per her last words to him, in ep12.. in the ending scene.... Im not sure how he will escape  but i guess he did  otherwise we wouldnt have ep 13 to 16... hheee...

Yeah, killing Yohan assistant is not good... but K did seemed to feel tired from his job  hence told Gaon that if he choose to stand with Yohan, he will have no life... 

How did Gaon still cook and give food to Yohan when he has already left the mansion. 

Did Yohan ever told his niece that he saved her from the church fire; she should remember that.. since it was a very traumatic experience and her uncle saved her.. she should remember...yet, she is being mean with Yohan, i dont understand...

How to break a long friendship easily? Soo Hyun told Gaon not to see her again but we all know Soo Hyun loves Gaon, and Gaon was planning to say that during that lunch date... i hope neither of them dies in the end!

And yes, Gaon being an inexperinced - in life and crime scene-  judge in the drama makes me wonder if judges are just good by the book but not life experience... hmmm

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

Wow, so many backstabbing and reversals in the two episodes. Yet, I feel like these are the weakest episodes, yet. There were a lot of inaction from Gaon, Yohan, Jin Joo, even the big bads and Sunah (until the last ten minutes).

What a misguided reaction from the chief justice Min. He's too easily befuddled and out-of-touch with the social unrest around him. What a terribly lapse of judgement by putting himself and his family in danger without setting basic security measures to protect them.

For once, I understand Soohyun's emotions. Gaon forced her to break her morality/character and broke her trust. He broke a pact that they made together since children and that's huge. HOWEVER, I think it's about high time for her to wake up and stop being so naive. Gaon isn't a little boy that she must preserved as 'good' forever. To see him that way is an insult to the trauma he suffered. He's a grown man who made his own decision to fight against the corrupted (as Yohan described). She also must realized how flawed the system is, and continuing on doing things by the book doesn't help. Every time, I think she'll get it, she takes two steps back. Her and judge Min are quite frustrating characters in the mist of Yohan's fight against the big bads.

The ultimatum Yohan asked of Gaon to pick between him and Soohyun was so out of character and cliche that I cringed. I know it's stemming from a place of anxiety of losing a spooked Gaon, but it's not the way to gain his trust. It's kind of a huge miscalculation on Yohan part, thinking that Elijah and fam would be fine without him. But because the writers need to make Yohan sad and lonely again, they made him lash out irrationally. Poor Elijah.

Also, K being so easily captured felt like another forced plot point. Sunah's minion shouldn't have been able to capture a man who's live half his life as a calculated and thorough espionage. He should be even more alert at such a critical time in their mission. One of their powerful pawns just committed suicide and they got nothing out of her, maybe take extra precaution. I think the writers had trouble connecting from the previous episode to now. The plot point is igniting Yohan's rage by using Gaon and K as the sacrifices, but the writers ran out of ideas of how to get us there now that all the mysteries are revealed.

I wish they stuck to the one-case per episode formula. The more they unraveled things outside of court, the more chaotic and muddled the story became. That said, looks like it's Yohan's turn next episode. What does everyone think? Will he throw it all away to avenge K? Will Gaon and Yohan Soohyun kiss and make up? Will we get another pointless interrogation/accusation in the court scene? Any guesses to who Jung Joseph was? Did we meet any other characters with that last name?

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:51 AM, LeftCoastOppa said:

Lastly, Yo-Han & Sun-Ah face off - everything was great about this scene right up to the moment he got shot - the man took a bullet to the abdomen, and not only did he not fall, he then climbed a flight of stairs, to get to another face off and hostage drop ... and still he's on his feet

Perhaps, Yo-Han had a bullet vest with him. And is too early for K to died from that fall, hope he survives.

Well is just my imagination.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

b8b4b5a8cd7d45a09d619793190365c2.jpeg?s=

3 Characters To Remain Suspicious Of In “The Devil Judge”

Aug 10, 2021

by S. Nam

Questions still remain unanswered in tvN’s “The Devil Judge”!

“The Devil Judge” is a drama set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Spoilers

As the drama progresses, viewers have been increasingly suspicious and curious about judge Oh Jin Joo (Kim Jae Kyung), Supreme Court justice Min Jung Ho (Ahn Nae Sang), and the president Heo Joong Se (Baek Hyun Jin).

Oh Jin Joo, who had been chosen as a judge for the trial courts, seemed approachable at first despite her luxurious appearance because of her easygoing personality and the fact that she didn’t hide the truth that she came from a poor background. She also revealed that she is a huge fan of Kang Yo Han and confessed that she felt emotional just to have the same views as him on judicial reform. Furthermore, Oh Jin Joo stood on the side of the victims during trial and deeply sympathized with them while showing no mercy to the accused.

However, as she receives more of the spotlight and garners the nation’s interest, her actions are becoming increasingly strange. This has been largely influenced by the social responsibility foundation’s executive director Jung Sun Ah (Kim Min Jung), who has continued to express interest in Oh Jin Joo while telling her that she shines the brightest. Jung Sun Ah’s words began to affect Oh Jin Joo, causing her to suspect Kang Yo Han’s every action and take Jung Sun Ah’s side. Viewers are curious to learn about Oh Jin Joo’s sincere feelings following her complete change from the beginning of the show.

Kim-Jae-Kyung.jpg

Supreme Court justice Min Jung Ho, who planted Kim Ga On (GOT7’s Jinyoung) to keep an eye on Kang Yo Han, has brought great confusion to viewers. Min Jung Ho tried to use Kim Ga On to gain more information on Kang Yo Han, referring to him as “a monster born from anarchy.” Although Kim Ga On looked at Kang Yo Han with bias at first, Kim Ga On began to judge for himself rather than in the direction others wanted him to while spending more time together with Kang Yo Han. This caused an inevitable gap in opinions to grow between him and Min Jung Ho, who was like a mentor and parent to him.

Min Jung Ho detected Kim Ga On’s wavering feelings and secretly asked which side he is going to stand on. Eventually, Kim Ga On conveyed his intent to dissolve the trial courts. He couldn’t help but be disappointed at Min Jung Ho for placing the blame on Kang Yo Han for inciting the public, and Kim Ga On expressed that he would take Kang Yo Han’s side. This confirmed that Min Ho Jung would be walking a completely different path from Kang Yo Han and Kim Ga On, making viewers curious about how they’ll face each other in the future.

Ahn-Nae-Sang.jpg

Snagging the presidency after his one-man broadcast blew up, Heo Joong Se, who is known for his theatrical tone of voice and excessive body language, is being constantly pressured by Kang Yo Han. Although he pretends to act for the people’s sake, he has lost sight of himself due to his desire for power and greed and has been doing anything he can to keep his position.

Furthermore, he had been accomplishing his goal by putting forward Juk Chang (Lee Hae Woon), who incited the public by indiscriminately committing violence in the guise of justice, but that move was stopped by Kang Yo Han and Kim Ga On. As if completely forgetting his past of supporting Juk Chang, Heo Joong Se angrily stated that they should suspect whether Juk Chang is really Korean, and he acted like a dirty opportunist without any loyalty. Viewers are curious to find out if Heo Joong Se, who cuts off anything that won’t benefit him, will be able to take on Kang Yo Han.

Spoiler

Baek-Hyun-Jin.jpg

The upcoming decisions made by Oh Jin Joo, Min Jung Ho, and Heo Joong Se could influence whether or not Kang Yo Han and Kim Ga On will succeed in their plans.

Keep watching the drama to find out who will come out on top!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1483026wpp/3-characters-to-remain-suspicious-of-in-the-devil-judge

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

The man Jung Joseph who worked at the church when the fire broke out and whom Soo hyun is investigating could it be Judge Min Jung ho? IDK how the chritian to korean names work out there but his both names have the "jung" part common...and that could be the reason for his complete hate for Yohan. He believes like everyone else that Yohan set the church on fire and must be punished at all costs.

Actually the way everyone believes that Yohan is the devil reminds me of Flower of Evil drama where the villagers taunted and abused the little boy so much that eventually he too started believing that yes he is an evil pyschopath and incapable of love. Here too everyone is so dead sure that Yohan is the main cause of everything bad in the world and around them that they don't even investigate in an unbiased manner. A police officer, a judge, a chief justice....all just lashing out constantly with zero proofs....:surprisedwut:

I for one never understood why Yohan needed Ga on. I do not think they have any romantic interest in one another, so why did Yohan need him? What does Ga on have to recommend himself to a person like Yohan? He is an emotional fool who acts first thinks later. He with his flip flop on morals and evils will just be a liability.

I hope they do not show Yohan dying. Please let him just retire to a quite cozy cottage after he is done with his revenge. Let him leave that terrible house which has so many bitter memories for him and live peacefully, even if alone. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

21 hours ago, The.Lannister said:

I for one never understood why Yohan needed Ga on. I do not think they have any romantic interest in one another, so why did Yohan need him? What does Ga on have to recommend himself to a person like Yohan? He is an emotional fool who acts first thinks later. He with his flip flop on morals and evils will just be a liability.

Reminds him of the brother whom he lost so tragically and couldnt help him get away from the fire?... to make his family complete... though its kinda sad that he didnt include Elijah's mother... since he said he only need Gaon and Elijah and he doesnt care if the world burns...

The mystery of who sets the church on fire is probably the end game of this drama..

For a while, i would have thought that Yohan could have fall for SunAh, until she killed his assistant... urgh... then its 100%revenge work on her thereafter...

That actor who plays the president.. like seriously... urgh, couldnt stand him i  his monologue in Taxi Driver and now herex though less words, still as irritating... i wonder how he would end in this drama...

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Spent the last three days watching all the episodes and I am really liking this show. 

I don't know why Soo Hyun is acting like she had to clean up a crime scene. They didn't kill her it was suicide. The bloody handprint could have been explained as checking the body, so I don't think she needed to do any of that. What terrible thing does she think Ga On did? 

I liked Ga On/Soo Hyun in the beginning, but I am starting to dislike them, mostly her. Her obsession with arresting Yo han needs to stop. Does she not realize there are people worse than him out there doing stuff, or does she really think he is responsible for everything that is going on. Why are Soo Hyun and Judge Min acting like Ga On is Yo Han's puppet and doesn't have a mind of his own? Yo Han isn't blackmailing Ga On, he is making his own decisions. 

Also there is a person trying to get rid of democracy, so maybe you shouldn't focus so much on Yo Han. They are both so determined to make Yo Han the big bad. What is the point in investigating the fire? There are probably bigger worries in this society than this. 

All the family scenes of them in the house made me sad that Ga On left. I want him to go back, mostly because Family dynamic > Ga On/Soo Hyun dynamic. 

It sounds like with K's conversation with Ga On that he regrets working for Yo Han. Considering he got murdered maybe his regret was valid. Sun ah should have definitely murdered Yo Han, she is prob going to live (or die) to regret it. My guess she is going after Elijah and Ga On next. 

I think this riot pushes Ga On to side with Yo Han again. Especially if Soo Hyun and Judge Min try to blame Yo Han for it, which they probably will. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

https://zapzee.net/2021/08/11/k-drama-review-2-unique-points-of-the-devil-judge-that-sets-it-apart-from-other-court-dramas/
[K-Drama Review] 2 Unique Points of ‘The Devil Judge’ That Sets It Apart from Other Court Dramas

by Eunkyung Cho | Edited by Kim Won Hee | Translated by Cho EK | images: tvN

576298DC-EB98-470D-BE0B-D0E3486209F3.jpg

The Devil Judge is set in a fictional dystopian Republic of Korea and depicts events surrounding the courtroom. The strange mixture of the dystopian universe and the courtroom setting garnered much anticipation even before the premiere. When I first started watching it, the drama surpassed my already great expectation for the show. Let’s find out the charms of The Devil Judge.

The narrative unfolds in an exhilarating way in each episode. It builds up one after another and interacts with different characters and events. It is remarkably different from any other courtroom series I’ve ever seen so far. The trial in the drama is a live show where all citizens are eligible to participate and judge. The public can respond positively or negatively to defendants on trial by listening to their arguments and testimonies in real-time, looking at the evidence. As soon as the judge imposes a sentence, the public starts voting for or against the term and comes up with a final verdict.

The atmosphere of the trial in this drama is different from the traditional ones that are silent and serious. Meaning it almost reminds me of the show ‘Produce 101,’ where people cast their votes on judgments that suit the public’s taste. It may sound absurd at first glance. But it is set in an era where the system’s corruption has peaked. So, such participatory trials are described as the only way to bring justice and the show leaves a strong impact in every episode.

The cases and people on trials are similar to those we see in real life: the large corporation that caused the wastewater leak, the children of politicians who pick on the weaks, celebrities who commit sex crimes using their fame, and YouTubers who propagate hate and violence toward minorities. The drama makes them stand the trial and puts the power of law and justice in people’s hands.

The people who support the victims to speak up in the trial share their sufferings. Some of them are the family of the deceased victim killed by a toxic disinfectant or died in a department store collapse. These people have watched the perpetrator receiving a light sentence. Others are the direct victims of sex crimes who had to watch the perpetrators walk away. The drama constantly brings up the corrupt authorities, highlights the system that only looks out for those in power, and punishes the criminals to get what they deserve. Catharsis naturally happens. It seems like the former judge Moon Yoo Seok is solving the absurdities which he had faced in the real-life courtroom through the drama.

Spoiler

1754C1A7-79AB-4710-AC2E-37F11D157929.jpg

The second appeal of the drama is the relationship among the characters. In particular, Kang Yo Han and Kim Ga On, played by Ji Sung and Jin Young, stand out the most. The two have maintained a bizarre relationship so far. For example, Yohan appears to be an ambiguous figure, so viewers weren’t sure whether he is good or evil. He hangs out with corrupt authorities who put only their interests first, cleverly manipulates the evidence of the case, and designs the flow of the court.

Gaon doubts whether Yo Han is truly a righteous person. However, he gradually understands Yo Han’s intention as he learns that the judicial system he believed to be justice is not functioning at all due to corruption. On the other hand, Ga On has a special place in Yo Han’s mind because Ga On resembles his dead brother, the only one who cared for him.

The two start to live together in Yo Han’s house, where it’s safer after their lives have been threatened. Meanwhile, Ga On begins to understand Yo Han as he learns about his past, and Yo Han reveals his vulnerability to Ga On. They gradually form a family-like relationship in an interesting way.

12E37FDA-1BB4-4AF1-B9D9-674A752C4101.jpg

The relationship between Jeong Seon Ah, played by Kim Min Jung, and Kang Yo Han, cannot be left out. Sun Ah grew up in hatred and violence. She started from the bottom and earned her current position at the board of the Social Responsibility Foundation. With her innocent expression, she uses others for her own benefit without remorse. It is impressive to see Seon Ah and Yo Han, who have very similar tendencies, compete for their purposes.

Seon Ah has a strange obsession with Yo Han. It’s a little different from affection or love. She sometimes reveals her hatred toward him, who always gets in her way. It seems like she wants to decorate herself with Yo Han, who grew up in a prestigious family.

The Devil Judge has only four episodes left. The corrupt authorities are revealing their desires, but Yo Han and his team, who have led the court with the support of the public, are facing a crisis. Will the drama be able to provide catharsis to the end? I hope it will end on a good note.

Verdict: A unique courtroom drama that provides a fantastic satisfaction (6/10)

Edited by Kim Won Hee: I am a person who needs more than 24 hours in a day because there are so many things I love. I am amassing various genres in the jewelry box in my heart.
Translator Cho EK: I’m a big fan of Korean dramas and movies.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/08/08/entertainment/television/Classical-music/20210808161100532.html
Classical music is re-used and re-imagined in K-dramas

BY KIM JEONG-YEON [kjdculture@joongang.co.kr] | August 8, 2021

711D0A5B-CF57-4F20-AAD4-C96A2616BEE7.jpg

tvN Drama "The Devil Judge" uses Rachmaninoff Piano Concert No. 2 to triple beats to match with the scene when characters Watlz. [TVN]

Korean dramas use classical music to add drama. Ongoing tvN drama “The Devil Judge” and Netflix original “Move to Heaven” as well as already-ended tvN drama “Vincenzo” are some of the dramas that have explored the use of classical music.   

What they do is more than just using what’s already out there. The drama teams work with musicians to rearrange existing music to fit their style and record the music with international orchestras. 

In tvN’s “The Devil Judge,” musical director Jung Se-rin rearranged Rachmaninoff Piano Concert No. 2 to triple beats so that the music can work better with a scene where actors dance the Waltz.   

“We chose the music because the particular tune brings out more mysterious emotions with some strong tunes than other ordinary Waltz music presents,” said the director. “It was used as a theme song for judge Kang Yo-han in the drama whenever he has a new plan. So we wanted to rearrange the same music into many different versions to continuously play over and over again.” 

This particular song was recorded by the Czech National Symphony Orchestra.   

In the fourth episode when minister Cha Gyeong-hee agonizes about punishing her son, the drama plays Erik Satie’s “Gnossiennes.” 

“The music makes the drama become more lively to show the political ambition the minister has as well as the love she has for her son, and the fear coming from the son when he is dragged to the place for his punishment and the weird ambience felt in that place,” said Jung.   

“Music that is very new and unknown doesn’t have much impact on the home audience, and music that’s widely known doesn’t bring forth any more entertainment.   

“The music that makes one feels like they might have heard it somewhere before yet don’t recall its title is what we use to match well with the scenes we show in the drama, so that the music can carry the entire ambience we want to show.” 

Spoiler

Some other dramas use existing songs with already established images to make certain scenes more entertaining. In JTBC’s “Nevertheless”, Chopin Etude Op. 25 No. 9 “Butterfly” is played for the scene when a then-boyfriend of the main character Nabi, which means butterfly in Korean, holds an exhibition with an artwork named after her which insinuates the nude body of a woman.   

Music director Kim Tae-seong of “Nevertheless” said the song used for the exhibit scene helps create the awkward mood when Nabi is startled by the artwork and her nonchalant ex-boyfriend. 

“The music creates even more extreme emotions when you learn the title of the music,” said Kim.   

In SBS’s “Penthouse,” character Cheon Seo-jin plays Listz’s Transcendental Etudes No. 4 “Mazeppa,” which is about adultery, to hint at how the story will unfold. In JTBC’s “Sky Castle,” character Kim Ju-yeong’s theme song was Schubert’s Erlkönig, which is about an evil force chasing children.   

Sometimes classical music is used as a prop to make a drama humorous. In tvN’s “Vincenzo,” Bach’s “Chaconne” is used in the scene when the main character Vincenzo, played by Song Joong-ki, kills members of the Italian mafia and escapes, adding a grandiose element. Later on, the same music is used for about 10 seconds in scenes involving Vincenzo, adding a somewhat comical element.

The music for opera "Cavalleria Rusticana," which was used in the first scene of the drama, helped create an Italian ambience, which is where the drama is set, but it was also used to make the home audience laugh. When Vincenzo came back to Korea and took a shower in his outdated home, the water kept on stopping and starting. The music, along with the rhythm of the water stopping and starting, stops and plays over and over again.   

“Overall, people pay more attention to the importance of directing, and the quality of music played in dramas is also increasing,” said pop culture critic Jeong Deok-hyun. 

Another pop culture critic Ha Jae-keun said TV dramas these days use techniques that make the scenes feel more like those frequently seen in films — a style that goes well with classical music.   

As budgets for making TV dramas get bigger and bigger, more investment goes into deciding what music to play. Netflix announced it will invest 550 billion ($480 million) into making local content in Korea.  

“To make the overall quality of the drama higher, the importance of music has also gone up,” said an official with tvN.   

“Although how much we invest into music has not increased as much as overall budget hikes, it has increased quite a lot.” 

But even with the more frequent use of classical music in dramas, few local musicians or orchestras are showing interest in making music for TV. That is one of the reasons why the team from “The Devil Judge” had to ask the Czech orchestra to record the music.   

“If local performers participate in music for movies or dramas more, maybe we can have musicians like John Williams or Joe Hisaishi” more often, said Han Jeong-ho a pop culture critic, adding that Korea has yet to see many classical musicians working on projects related to pop culture.   

“So far, the investment in such music for TV work has been minimal, so local musicians didn’t pay much attention to such areas, but with more investment coming along the way, we can expect to see higher quality music in such TV dramas.”

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

12 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

That actor who plays the president.. like seriously... urgh, couldnt stand him i  his monologue in Taxi Driver and now herex though less words, still as irritating... i wonder how he would end in this drama...

I am with you too, finding the President so annoying and irritating when he gives speeches.

The way he speaks is as though he is doing campaigning. :loolz:

I think in the end he might get invited to the live court and be judge by the public again whether he

is suitable to be the president.

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

4 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

I am with you too, finding the President so annoying and irritating when he gives speeches.

The way he speaks is as though he is doing campaigning. :loolz:

I think in the end he might get invited to the live court and be judge by the public again whether he

is suitable to be the president.

That is expected, i think:lol:.....

when i first saw him in Taxi Driver.. i cant believe how he can sprout his monologue so fast and so long, did he even breath when he when he delivered his speech?...hahaha...... when i saw him here again.. im just surprised and.... annoyed a bit... haha

That ending scene...why would Yohan even walk all the way to the bottom (by the way, what is that place? A rice celler?)... go to a normal date, rather then trying to be a hero.. and yes, the fact that he could walk that stairs are just amazing.. ah well.. thats k drama for u... :-)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

Okay, I finally got a chance to watch episode 11 with subs and watch episode 12 too! I've been bad with watching the episodes so I finally caught up...

Lmao @LeftCoastOppa and @Sleepy Owl that's kdrama logic for you. :loolz: Main character get shot in the abdomen and is fine, but side character gets shot, BAM! Instant death. I was also questioning how Yo Han managed to still stand AND climb the stairs after getting shot, but you know... #kdramalogic

Anyone else want to flip tables and kill Sun Ah and the whole baddie/high power squad? (I don't remember their names but basically everyone who was at the fire that Yo Han is trying to take down) I am waiting for the moment when Yo Han takes down Sun Ah and everyone else, seriously... Sun Ah targeting K (is that his name) and using him at bait. I really hope he is alive, I'm thinking that he'll just get really hurt and is immobilized so he won't be able to do anything for Yo Han. Also it looks like Sun Ah kidnaps everyone else who is working for Yo Han too,  based on the preview for episode 13. Seriously Yo Han, take down this b :onfirex:

The whole thing between Elijah and Yo Han, Elijah and Ga On, and Yo Han thinking about Ga On was so heartbreaking.. Ga On is really the light in the house and brightens up the house, but with him gone, that light is gone. I do like that Yo Han is changing a bit like going back to Elijah after what he said and Yo Han making jokes with the housekeeper. @Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr I like what you said about Yo Han and Elijah because I feel like in a way the two have that line between Ga On and Isaac. That painting that Elijah drew though too :bawling:

But we have 4 friends left everyone and  I hope Ga On will work with Yo Han again to bring everyone else down. I am READY to see Yo Han and Ga On bring the rest of the power squad down. LET'S GO DEVIL TEAM!! :hwaiting:

• Like 4
  • Love 1