Quantcast

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wasn't sure I would be posting here again but my love for the last episode and our JinSoo couple brought me back to say a few words.   I pretty much lost it at Jin Hyuk's expression when h

I think that I found their room  , they will definitely have to explain the balcony kiss if my guess is correct.    CSH’s room in first episode      She is back in the same

Enjoy reading everyone's thoughts... I will elaborate on why the ending is good for me...   1.  It did not end with some drone zoomed out kiss in the Cuban Garden with sweeping romantic musi

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

I keep oscillating between thinking there is going to be a tragic or happy end. There are arguments to be made for both possibilities, the writers have laid down a trail of bedcrumbs; some just to cause confusion in our minds.

On the whole, and when I'm not feeling suspicious, I would vote for a truly happy ending-- not tragic for our leads, nor bittersweet where they part at the end with love in their hearts.  I believe this because at literally every fork in the road where the leads face a choice to stay together or break apart, they make a choice that brings them closer.  Where their lives (and livelihoods) are ever more deeply entwined.  There isn't an escape, except the extreme kind where one person or the other drops off the grid and moves across the world or dies... but this isn't that kind of drama.  The worst physical injury we've had so far is Teacher Lee falling off her roof.  And that didn't even happen on screen.  Even the emotional trauma of the characters is being healed.

If you have 17 minutes to spare, find a quiet corner of your room and listen to this audio excerpt from the World’s End Girlfriend, the book JH was reading episode 9 and he quoted that poem to SH in the last episode.

There are several themes that will jump at you after listening to this excerpt. It’s hauntingly good, dealing with themes of parting, love,memory, death, the impossible becoming possible?, hope, time. 

<>

I know it ends with a cliffhanger, still trying to find the complete book in English. 

These goosebumps enduring lines, in quotes are lines from the book; the other text are just my observations.

”Metasequoia, the living fossil” 

( the tree was considered extinct but a miraculous discovery in China earned this tree the nickname of a living fossil, what was once considered dead and gone, came back to life) 

“There is a Metasequoia tree at the end of the path he is walking and this is the end of the world where he and his girlfriend will someday sit together, leaning with their backs against the rough trunk of the tree. As fire and tears seep into each other or as the moon and rainbow would”

( JH says his only path is towards SH, since she is his entire world ; his world ends with SH. He tells SH to lean against the tree and she thinks it’s an odd pose. Can fire and tears seep into each other? And a moon and a rainbow, together? But if the Metasequoia could come back to life and make the impossible possible, then is there truly any definite certainty that fire and tears can’t come together?) 

I think this is the lynchpin of the whole story.  Everything hinges on the possibility of a transformative miracle.  If a tree can come back to life, then why can't true love defeat evil?  Dangermousie on tumblr talked about this briefly in one of her posts.  She said "the bad guys were (for once) defeated by sheer, unadulterated decency."  Everything we've seen is pointing toward SooHyun being the final author of her own salvation-- not JinHyuk, definitely not WooSuck, nor even her father.  She defeated the big, bad wolf: she told her mother that she'd never be sold again, she has begun to make the efforts to weed out the moles from her hotel, she is the one who disregarded JinHyuk's well-meaning white lie and came anyway.

”love will belatedly fade away, at a touch, just a touch, without a trace, not a mark, like snow in March”

( is love fleeting? Can the memory of true love fade away?)

“memory being what it is, you lose sight of many of the cogwheels turning and meshing with each other. All events leave some kind of mark and after a while this makes it possible to know what the first cogwheel was ......... then it took three seasons - fall, winter and spring - to pass before the next cogwheel began to turn”

(JH and SH probably met sometime in November which is fall season, they have spent winter together and now it’s about to be spring. Will they spend the summer together?) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Having no preview for next ep, gives us all headache, even a crack in our skull. The last 12 episodes shows us the progress of their relationship, how they deal with the obstacles on their own, on their own way .

And the last scene is like a ..,signed, sealed and delivered thing.  Maybe the director is preparing us for a new stage in their relationship, where they will do things together, think as one, decide as one.

With all the things that may happen, the first thing i want to see is Sh deleting Ws contact number in her phone. Or at least place it in the blocked numbers. If someone is annoying me, i delete the number but most of the time i blocked it. Sh had said if Ws needed something , just make an appointment or go to the relevant department. What is the use of having his number. So, just delete it Sh.

I don't buy a not so good ending. Why would they feed us, invest our feelings in love, hope in loving, all is fair in love, love conquers all, possibilities in loving if at the end it all be useless. Its a wrong signal and discourages everyone to go through that process. We have seen art, literature, books, poetry, fairy tales, mythology in the drama. But the parallelisms remain indirectly, not literally translated but mostly in reverse.

I also have my own  thoughts in the book,,,end of the world, girlfriend.. i still need to compose my thoughts. ( and need to make a living first:))

• Like 22
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I had thought that SH had sent JMJ to convey her respects to her ex-FIL and to let them know that she wasn't able to make it. It would be rude to just ignore it, and her ex-MIL might have been able to make some other excuse as to why SH couldn't make it if SH had just not gone and not sent someone. This way, there is no misunderstanding to her ex-MIL and WS that SH isn't going because she's choosing not to go. At the same time, to everyone else not family, SH has at least conveyed her respects which is pretty much all that's really required of her as an ex-DIL rather than ignoring her in-laws completely since the others wouldn't know about the condition in the divorce settlement that SH had to attend family functions still.

Wd9y0YN.jpg

I feel terrified for Jang Mi Jin, what a bad timing to sit at CEO seat.. 

• Like 16
1 hour ago, tshering12 said:

Whats with that eternally sleeping thing in ep11. I promise u if they dont have happy ending m gonna lose my mind. I love shk in this drama. Was never her fan but this drama might change it.

I don’t think it will only be you that lose your mind. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

I’m one of those who were originally unwilling to watch this drama because of its apparent “odd casting”, but I’m glad a friend convinced me to watch it. I’m enjoying every bit of the story writing, brought to life by very talented actors, both lead and supporting. 

The only part of the script that came across as somewhat forced was the bit in Cuba where Samuel asked Jin Hyuk if he loved his CEO. I didn’t think it was possible to infer that from the letter and the brief encounters Jingyun had with Samuel. Otherwise, everything has been nicely paced so far. 

Together with “Empress’s Dignity”, it does feel like the season’s dramas are discussing the issue of maternal influence on a child’s development into adulthood. Both CSH and JWS have very self-serving mothers, yet the outcome of both are so different. Mr Nam also reminds CSH’s father that she had always had a bright and spirited personality, not easily taken down or defeated. JWS on the other hand is said to be his mother’s son. So in the nature vs nurture debate, nature trumps all? What then of chance and serendipity?

• Like 9
7 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

The only part of the script that came across as somewhat forced was the bit in Cuba where Samuel asked Jin Hyuk if he loved his CEO. I didn’t think it was possible to infer that from the letter and the brief encounters Jingyun had with Samuel. Otherwise, everything has been nicely paced so far. 

I think it’s because Samuel knows that JH is a merely employee but what makes him come all the way to Cuba just to persuade Samuel. The only explanation and conclusion Samuel had in mind is JH must be in love with the CEO in order to go to that extend.

I think this was also explained by some users in this thread. If you have time to go back to those pages, you can find the answer.

• Like 11

All caught up. Another Amazing week

Jinsoo

I’m obviously in love with this couple. I love how she finally told him that she loves him and I also love how he already knew that because even though she hasn’t been putting her heart in her sleeve like he has, she’s been showing how much she depends on him. I truly believe that SH and his parents can become good friends. I loved the conversation between JH’s appa and SH because there was a deep mutual respect. In this scene, SH held her own by confortably also asking the dad to root for them. I can’t wait for the family dinner, I’m not too sure about mum but as others have stated, she’s a really nice person, she’ll come around.

The only one problem I had was the sacrificing without telling the other person. Don’t get me wrong, I understood why JH lied but I really wish they had spoken about it and he had given her the go ahead instead. If SH has actually gone to the memorial, she would have been in the news headlines and the family might have found out about it anyway, which might have affected their impression of her. I didn’t really like that he would put her in that position even for her sake without telling her.

Is it just me or was today the first time since he asked them to stop their ‘some’ relationship that he’s referred to himself as her boyfriend and he did it twice. Both times, he was putting himself in a position to conmfort her by buying her a plant and food. I think it was another way for him to be like ‘babe, I’m here now, you’re not alone anymore.’

HI

This episode made me like her even more. I love how this time, her first instinct wasn’t to tell him  to leave SH but rather to reassure him that none of it was his fault. Seeing her break down was just heartbreaking 

About her relationship with JM, I’m not feeling it too much. Yes, they get along alright, but she’s very ambitious and good at her job whilst he’s a little bit immature. It might be something she might need now but that kind of relationship gets tired so fast

About JWS

Yea... I don’t like him at all and everyone has already stated all there is to say about him. I just hope that he gets away from our couple somehow and rots in a hell of his selfishness 

• Like 17
51 minutes ago, xu_lyfe said:

I think it’s because Samuel knows that JH is a merely employee but what makes him come all the way to Cuba just to persuade Samuel. The only explanation and conclusion Samuel had in mind is JH must be in love with the CEO in order to go to that extend.

I think this was also explained by some users in this thread. If you have time to go back to those pages, you can find the answer.

This is the last part of the Spanish letter  of JH: "La verdadera intencion de la presidenta de Dong -Hwa era preservar el jardin tal como usted lo hubiera querido".. The letter emphasized that is a female CEO. It is just not clearly stated in the VO since it will be read in the letter. Samuel clearly knows that the woman he loves and the CEO is one person only. Samuel hinted it since he was in love with his wife all his life and JH is in love with the woman stated in VO and the presidenta in the letter. It takes one to know one. Hope this help. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
8 hours ago, larrysouth said:

One thing that struck me is that I believe it was Teacher Lee that suggested they invite CSH to her dinner.  This will carry a lot of weight with her parents concerning accepting CSH. Teacher Lee is a close friend of KJH's parents and based upon what I am seeing of her; she seems to be regarded somewhat as the respected village elder.  I think she is communicating her endorsement of their relationship to KJH's parents, which I think will go a long way toward their accepting them as a couple.

@larrysouth

As we knew that KJH asked his dad to root for his love while CSH asked KJH's dad to watch them.

I thought what  Teacher Lee asked will allow KJH's dad to have more opportunity to watch KJH&CSH by himself whether KJH's dad will root for KJH's love or wanna stop.

Teacher Lee might not lead any decision/influence to KJH's dad and family.

As CSH mentioned that she understood KJH's dad why he worries.

Teacher Lee worries too, she asked KJH after she knew CSH is CEO of Donghwa who is in the strong limelight as a celebrity, KJH answered he was ready to take risk.

Teacher Lee, as KJH's dad's friend's wife, she can not involve much to KJH's but KJH's dad can decide which way he would act.

7 hours ago, Yongzura said:

@NongpeeP the impact of PBG and SHK and i'm interested in looking for the plant ha ha.. :D

It is interesting to read all your posts after the latest episodes.  One topic that's highlighted most is the different perspective of JWS's intention in getting closer to CSH.  However, one that all of us agree to and wish for is a happy ending.

As for now I'm just enjoying the ride prepared by the writer... and the acting by our main leads.   

@Yongzura 

No matter books, Cuba, Nami, Tower, Sokcho, Han River

or Ramyeon, chicken feet, seaweed riceball

or dress, suit, brand jewelry

If all audiences were in Korea, there would be much more demand than the current hot status. 

6 hours ago, luvhollandlop said:

I have loved PBG for a long time. He stole my heart when he appeared with Seo In Guk in Hello Monster. Those eyes... He could really transformed into any character.  In Reply 1988, he lived and breathed  Taek. He stirred up my maternal instinct and I wanted to take care of him. 

In this show, I was so taken by his acting here with SHG. He transformed into a younger man who is very stable and mature in his actions and thoughts. I wanted to date him. I am really impressed. PBG can have sizzling chemistry with anyone he is partnered with. I suspect even with a plant...

@luvhollandlopPark Bo Gum from rookie to male leads, he always show how seriously he is an professional actor.

Encounter is very surprising with another level from the hard-to-believe chemistry with Song Hye Kyo. Kudo to both Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo more and more when the Encounter's KJH&CSH passed thick and thin...melodrama male lead and femal lead in PD&Scriptwriter&Casts&Crews's dream indeed. 

6 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

So when she made that decision and showed up at JinHyuk's gate with that "of course I came to you my love" expression on her face, I really thought I was going to cry, I was so proud of her.  But because I didn't trust SooHyun to make that choice, the whole episode I was expecting SooHyun to tell JinHyuk that this was the end of their love story.  That it was time to bury their love under a tree or something like that. 

Also, did it strike anyone else that SooHyun didn't let anything get in the way of their date this time?  The first date JinHyuk asked her on in Havana, she missed because of her job.  Now, on this much more important date with JinHyuk and his family, she dropped everything and made sure that she'd be there with him.  This writer is so good, you guys...:love:

~~~

@dukesa1122 I'm glad you like the name change for JWS. :yum:

@yonaomi123

CSH decided like a normal girlfriend try to do for her boyfriend and his family. 

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I had thought that SH had sent JMJ to convey her respects to her ex-FIL and to let them know that she wasn't able to make it. It would be rude to just ignore it, and her ex-MIL might have been able to make some other excuse as to why SH couldn't make it if SH had just not gone and not sent someone. This way, there is no misunderstanding to her ex-MIL and WS that SH isn't going because she's choosing not to go. At the same time, to everyone else not family, SH has at least conveyed her respects which is pretty much all that's really required of her as an ex-DIL rather than ignoring her in-laws completely since the others wouldn't know about the condition in the divorce settlement that SH had to attend family functions still.

@stroppyse Your reason sounds very reasonable. Thank you for sharing.

1 hour ago, nmgzlz said:

The only one problem I had was the sacrificing without telling the other person. Don’t get me wrong, I understood why JH lied but I really wish they had spoken about it and he had given her the go ahead instead. If SH has actually gone to the memorial, she would have been in the news headlines and the family might have found out about it anyway, which might have affected their impression of her. I didn’t really like that he would put her in that position even for her sake without telling her.

Is it just me or was today the first time since he asked them to stop their ‘some’ relationship that he’s referred to himself as her boyfriend and he did it twice. Both times, he was putting himself in a position to conmfort her by buying her a plant and food. I think it was another way for him to be like ‘babe, I’m here now, you’re not alone anymore.’

@nmgzlz KJH might try to reduce another tough factor for CSH by telling about cancelling Teacher Lee's meal. Let CSH decide with less a pressured factor during war with such Chaebol is KJH's way to express his love.

KJH&CSH's pre-relationship(some) has been simply converted to the relationship when they had a dinner and KJH informed that he ensured his feeling and be ready to be in relationship and CSH did not object but discussing activities KSH&CSH wanna do together. 

Plus, when KJH ran to CSH's house and CSH mentioned what he did is a boyfriend's.  CSH told Mr.Nam to leave car for her to go dating on KJH's farewell to Sokcho.

1 hour ago, Glycie Manongsong said:

This is the last part of the Spanish letter  of JH: "La verdadera intencion de la presidenta de Dong -Hwa era preservar el jardin tal como usted lo hubiera querido".. The letter emphasized that is a female CEO. It is just not clearly stated in the VO since it will be read in the letter. Samuel clearly knows that the woman he loves and the CEO is one person only. Samuel hinted it since he was in love with his wife all his life and JH is in love with the woman stated in VO and the presidenta in the letter. It takes one to know one. Hope this help. 

@Glycie Manongsong

Totally agreed. If this female CEO was not in KJH's mind, he could write letter with just mentioning Donghwa Hotel.

For Garden Owner who dearly loves and mentions his wife whenever he can, he could catch KJH's unintentional clue because KJH has had CSH in mind all the time either till KJH was unsconcious mentioning CSH in the letter.

Playground's memory with his beloved woman and Female CEO have been synchonized to be one woman. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

It’s almost over :tears:

This must be the last week of drama filming, I hope the cast gets together to watch the last episode. 

I get anxiety when I realize they have ONLY 4 more episodes to give this drama the ending that it deserves, it’s going to be a challenge. Still wish that TVN would extend it by a week and they should definitely do a special episode to explain all the artwork. 

Not including the conclusion of JH and SH’s relationship there is the mysterious death of PR team manager’s brother, the crisis at Donghwa, SH’s future role at Donghwa, MIL’s revenge plot, CSH’s relationship with her mother, WS and his mother, does WS redeem himself rather can he redeem himself, does HI ever confess her feelings to JH, the relationships between LDC and Sec Jang, Driver Nam and Pr team leader, HI and KJM. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 8
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구