[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I had thought that SH had sent JMJ to convey her respects to her ex-FIL and to let them know that she wasn't able to make it. It would be rude to just ignore it, and her ex-MIL might have been able to make some other excuse as to why SH couldn't make it if SH had just not gone and not sent someone. This way, there is no misunderstanding to her ex-MIL and WS that SH isn't going because she's choosing not to go. At the same time, to everyone else not family, SH has at least conveyed her respects which is pretty much all that's really required of her as an ex-DIL rather than ignoring her in-laws completely since the others wouldn't know about the condition in the divorce settlement that SH had to attend family functions still.

Wd9y0YN.jpg

I feel terrified for Jang Mi Jin, what a bad timing to sit at CEO seat.. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, tshering12 said:

Whats with that eternally sleeping thing in ep11. I promise u if they dont have happy ending m gonna lose my mind. I love shk in this drama. Was never her fan but this drama might change it.

I don’t think it will only be you that lose your mind. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

I’m one of those who were originally unwilling to watch this drama because of its apparent “odd casting”, but I’m glad a friend convinced me to watch it. I’m enjoying every bit of the story writing, brought to life by very talented actors, both lead and supporting. 

The only part of the script that came across as somewhat forced was the bit in Cuba where Samuel asked Jin Hyuk if he loved his CEO. I didn’t think it was possible to infer that from the letter and the brief encounters Jingyun had with Samuel. Otherwise, everything has been nicely paced so far. 

Together with “Empress’s Dignity”, it does feel like the season’s dramas are discussing the issue of maternal influence on a child’s development into adulthood. Both CSH and JWS have very self-serving mothers, yet the outcome of both are so different. Mr Nam also reminds CSH’s father that she had always had a bright and spirited personality, not easily taken down or defeated. JWS on the other hand is said to be his mother’s son. So in the nature vs nurture debate, nature trumps all? What then of chance and serendipity?

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

The only part of the script that came across as somewhat forced was the bit in Cuba where Samuel asked Jin Hyuk if he loved his CEO. I didn’t think it was possible to infer that from the letter and the brief encounters Jingyun had with Samuel. Otherwise, everything has been nicely paced so far. 

I think it’s because Samuel knows that JH is a merely employee but what makes him come all the way to Cuba just to persuade Samuel. The only explanation and conclusion Samuel had in mind is JH must be in love with the CEO in order to go to that extend.

I think this was also explained by some users in this thread. If you have time to go back to those pages, you can find the answer.

• Like 11

All caught up. Another Amazing week

Jinsoo

I’m obviously in love with this couple. I love how she finally told him that she loves him and I also love how he already knew that because even though she hasn’t been putting her heart in her sleeve like he has, she’s been showing how much she depends on him. I truly believe that SH and his parents can become good friends. I loved the conversation between JH’s appa and SH because there was a deep mutual respect. In this scene, SH held her own by confortably also asking the dad to root for them. I can’t wait for the family dinner, I’m not too sure about mum but as others have stated, she’s a really nice person, she’ll come around.

The only one problem I had was the sacrificing without telling the other person. Don’t get me wrong, I understood why JH lied but I really wish they had spoken about it and he had given her the go ahead instead. If SH has actually gone to the memorial, she would have been in the news headlines and the family might have found out about it anyway, which might have affected their impression of her. I didn’t really like that he would put her in that position even for her sake without telling her.

Is it just me or was today the first time since he asked them to stop their ‘some’ relationship that he’s referred to himself as her boyfriend and he did it twice. Both times, he was putting himself in a position to conmfort her by buying her a plant and food. I think it was another way for him to be like ‘babe, I’m here now, you’re not alone anymore.’

HI

This episode made me like her even more. I love how this time, her first instinct wasn’t to tell him  to leave SH but rather to reassure him that none of it was his fault. Seeing her break down was just heartbreaking 

About her relationship with JM, I’m not feeling it too much. Yes, they get along alright, but she’s very ambitious and good at her job whilst he’s a little bit immature. It might be something she might need now but that kind of relationship gets tired so fast

About JWS

Yea... I don’t like him at all and everyone has already stated all there is to say about him. I just hope that he gets away from our couple somehow and rots in a hell of his selfishness 

• Like 17

51 minutes ago, xu_lyfe said:

I think it’s because Samuel knows that JH is a merely employee but what makes him come all the way to Cuba just to persuade Samuel. The only explanation and conclusion Samuel had in mind is JH must be in love with the CEO in order to go to that extend.

I think this was also explained by some users in this thread. If you have time to go back to those pages, you can find the answer.

This is the last part of the Spanish letter  of JH: "La verdadera intencion de la presidenta de Dong -Hwa era preservar el jardin tal como usted lo hubiera querido".. The letter emphasized that is a female CEO. It is just not clearly stated in the VO since it will be read in the letter. Samuel clearly knows that the woman he loves and the CEO is one person only. Samuel hinted it since he was in love with his wife all his life and JH is in love with the woman stated in VO and the presidenta in the letter. It takes one to know one. Hope this help. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, larrysouth said:

One thing that struck me is that I believe it was Teacher Lee that suggested they invite CSH to her dinner.  This will carry a lot of weight with her parents concerning accepting CSH. Teacher Lee is a close friend of KJH's parents and based upon what I am seeing of her; she seems to be regarded somewhat as the respected village elder.  I think she is communicating her endorsement of their relationship to KJH's parents, which I think will go a long way toward their accepting them as a couple.

@larrysouth

As we knew that KJH asked his dad to root for his love while CSH asked KJH's dad to watch them.

I thought what  Teacher Lee asked will allow KJH's dad to have more opportunity to watch KJH&CSH by himself whether KJH's dad will root for KJH's love or wanna stop.

Teacher Lee might not lead any decision/influence to KJH's dad and family.

As CSH mentioned that she understood KJH's dad why he worries.

Teacher Lee worries too, she asked KJH after she knew CSH is CEO of Donghwa who is in the strong limelight as a celebrity, KJH answered he was ready to take risk.

Teacher Lee, as KJH's dad's friend's wife, she can not involve much to KJH's but KJH's dad can decide which way he would act.

7 hours ago, Yongzura said:

@NongpeeP the impact of PBG and SHK and i'm interested in looking for the plant ha ha.. :D

It is interesting to read all your posts after the latest episodes.  One topic that's highlighted most is the different perspective of JWS's intention in getting closer to CSH.  However, one that all of us agree to and wish for is a happy ending.

As for now I'm just enjoying the ride prepared by the writer... and the acting by our main leads.   

@Yongzura 

No matter books, Cuba, Nami, Tower, Sokcho, Han River

or Ramyeon, chicken feet, seaweed riceball

or dress, suit, brand jewelry

If all audiences were in Korea, there would be much more demand than the current hot status. 

6 hours ago, luvhollandlop said:

I have loved PBG for a long time. He stole my heart when he appeared with Seo In Guk in Hello Monster. Those eyes... He could really transformed into any character.  In Reply 1988, he lived and breathed  Taek. He stirred up my maternal instinct and I wanted to take care of him. 

In this show, I was so taken by his acting here with SHG. He transformed into a younger man who is very stable and mature in his actions and thoughts. I wanted to date him. I am really impressed. PBG can have sizzling chemistry with anyone he is partnered with. I suspect even with a plant...

@luvhollandlopPark Bo Gum from rookie to male leads, he always show how seriously he is an professional actor.

Encounter is very surprising with another level from the hard-to-believe chemistry with Song Hye Kyo. Kudo to both Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo more and more when the Encounter's KJH&CSH passed thick and thin...melodrama male lead and femal lead in PD&Scriptwriter&Casts&Crews's dream indeed. 

6 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

So when she made that decision and showed up at JinHyuk's gate with that "of course I came to you my love" expression on her face, I really thought I was going to cry, I was so proud of her.  But because I didn't trust SooHyun to make that choice, the whole episode I was expecting SooHyun to tell JinHyuk that this was the end of their love story.  That it was time to bury their love under a tree or something like that. 

Also, did it strike anyone else that SooHyun didn't let anything get in the way of their date this time?  The first date JinHyuk asked her on in Havana, she missed because of her job.  Now, on this much more important date with JinHyuk and his family, she dropped everything and made sure that she'd be there with him.  This writer is so good, you guys...:love:

~~~

@dukesa1122 I'm glad you like the name change for JWS. :yum:

@yonaomi123

CSH decided like a normal girlfriend try to do for her boyfriend and his family. 

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I had thought that SH had sent JMJ to convey her respects to her ex-FIL and to let them know that she wasn't able to make it. It would be rude to just ignore it, and her ex-MIL might have been able to make some other excuse as to why SH couldn't make it if SH had just not gone and not sent someone. This way, there is no misunderstanding to her ex-MIL and WS that SH isn't going because she's choosing not to go. At the same time, to everyone else not family, SH has at least conveyed her respects which is pretty much all that's really required of her as an ex-DIL rather than ignoring her in-laws completely since the others wouldn't know about the condition in the divorce settlement that SH had to attend family functions still.

@stroppyse Your reason sounds very reasonable. Thank you for sharing.

1 hour ago, nmgzlz said:

The only one problem I had was the sacrificing without telling the other person. Don’t get me wrong, I understood why JH lied but I really wish they had spoken about it and he had given her the go ahead instead. If SH has actually gone to the memorial, she would have been in the news headlines and the family might have found out about it anyway, which might have affected their impression of her. I didn’t really like that he would put her in that position even for her sake without telling her.

Is it just me or was today the first time since he asked them to stop their ‘some’ relationship that he’s referred to himself as her boyfriend and he did it twice. Both times, he was putting himself in a position to conmfort her by buying her a plant and food. I think it was another way for him to be like ‘babe, I’m here now, you’re not alone anymore.’

@nmgzlz KJH might try to reduce another tough factor for CSH by telling about cancelling Teacher Lee's meal. Let CSH decide with less a pressured factor during war with such Chaebol is KJH's way to express his love.

KJH&CSH's pre-relationship(some) has been simply converted to the relationship when they had a dinner and KJH informed that he ensured his feeling and be ready to be in relationship and CSH did not object but discussing activities KSH&CSH wanna do together. 

Plus, when KJH ran to CSH's house and CSH mentioned what he did is a boyfriend's.  CSH told Mr.Nam to leave car for her to go dating on KJH's farewell to Sokcho.

1 hour ago, Glycie Manongsong said:

This is the last part of the Spanish letter  of JH: "La verdadera intencion de la presidenta de Dong -Hwa era preservar el jardin tal como usted lo hubiera querido".. The letter emphasized that is a female CEO. It is just not clearly stated in the VO since it will be read in the letter. Samuel clearly knows that the woman he loves and the CEO is one person only. Samuel hinted it since he was in love with his wife all his life and JH is in love with the woman stated in VO and the presidenta in the letter. It takes one to know one. Hope this help. 

@Glycie Manongsong

Totally agreed. If this female CEO was not in KJH's mind, he could write letter with just mentioning Donghwa Hotel.

For Garden Owner who dearly loves and mentions his wife whenever he can, he could catch KJH's unintentional clue because KJH has had CSH in mind all the time either till KJH was unsconcious mentioning CSH in the letter.

Playground's memory with his beloved woman and Female CEO have been synchonized to be one woman. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

It’s almost over :tears:

This must be the last week of drama filming, I hope the cast gets together to watch the last episode. 

I get anxiety when I realize they have ONLY 4 more episodes to give this drama the ending that it deserves, it’s going to be a challenge. Still wish that TVN would extend it by a week and they should definitely do a special episode to explain all the artwork. 

Not including the conclusion of JH and SH’s relationship there is the mysterious death of PR team manager’s brother, the crisis at Donghwa, SH’s future role at Donghwa, MIL’s revenge plot, CSH’s relationship with her mother, WS and his mother, does WS redeem himself rather can he redeem himself, does HI ever confess her feelings to JH, the relationships between LDC and Sec Jang, Driver Nam and Pr team leader, HI and KJM. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 8

7 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

Not including the conclusion of JH and SH’s relationship there is the mysterious death of PR team manager’s brother, the crisis at Donghwa, SH’s future role at Donghwa, MIL’s revenge plot, CSH’s relationship with her mother, WS and his mother, does WS redeem himself rather can he redeem himself, does HI ever confess her feelings to JH, the relationships between LDC and Sec Jang, Driver Nam and Pr team leader, HI and KJM. 

I believe this drama has more than enough fuel for a second season but sadly that’s not the case in K-drama land. These are the times when I wish a K-drama is structured like a US tv show :(

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NongpeeP said:

38 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

This must be the last week of drama filming, I hope the cast gets together to watch the last episode. 

I get anxiety when I realize they have ONLY 4 more episodes to give this drama the ending that it deserves, it’s going to be a challenge. Still wish that TVN would extend it by a week and they should definitely do a special episode to explain all the artwork. 

Oh my, I just get sad when I read this. My tears just flowed. OMG. What just happened to me? :bawling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

For the first time in forever, I am thankful for the lack of BTS released with a drama. This way we would always see the actors as their respective character, not as themselves. 

Sorry for this random thoughts :sweatingbullets: Maybe because I am binge watching BTS of that particular 2016 drama :lol:

• Like 8
  • LOL 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ahdrianaa said:

@ahdrianaa

It's sad to think Encounter is nearly over.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

But in the same scene, we have JH promising to CSH that untilhe will be by her side. And this is important because here we see again that JH is a wise and realistic person. He knows that death is part of life and they are not living in a fairy tale. But for him, death doesn't mean the end of the love story, while in the fairy tale it is the exact opposite.

In this post, I had come to the conclusion that  the viewers are actually watching a photo album of our OTP , their love story. This is important because these photos and scenes shot in such a way will represent the memories of their love, like the love letter of the poet that was mentioned above. When you watch the introduction of this drama (the music, the visuals), you have the impression to watch an old movie, a classic. So I have the impression that the true intention of the writer and the director is to show their love story in the past, although it is not revealed yet. Why? Because the time doesn't already correspond to our actual timeline. During the episode 11, we see that JH offers the rings on February 16th but the viewers are still in January 2019.  So in my opinion, the final ending could be that we see their photo album together after their marriage aso... and the marriage can not be the ending of the story. We might see them getting older. Okay, this is just a speculation from me, yet I doubt that the ending will just end with a proposal. I sense, we might see for a few minutes more... their love story doesn't end with their deaths, the photo album will be the proof that their love still exists. Maybe the writer might use the garden in Cuba as illustration for that. 

@bebebisous33

Your comment reminded me new chapter in my mind.

I don't like sad story, melodrama, social gap love but Encounter made me change my mind from "No Intention to Watch" to "Addicted to Watch" 

During thick and thin, Encounter made me think another way around that the beautiful process of love the best ever might be much more important than the result

because once we think about such love, doing with uttermost is in memory, rather than doing nothing to gain nothing.

At least KJH&CSH know what true love is and they have done the best to treasure their love every minute they have such chances, no reget for KJH&CSH.

1 hour ago, Far^away said:

For the first time in forever, I am thankful for the lack of BTS released with a drama. This way we would always see the actors as their respective character, not as themselves. 

Sorry for this random thoughts :sweatingbullets: Maybe because I am binge watching BTS of that particular 2016 drama :lol:

@Far^awayI agreed with you even I wanna watch BTS as much as possible but showing too many BTS might ruin fantasy of characters.

=============================

When I have watched Encounter&rerun, I recently think if I were KJH's parents, what would I think when this son falls in love with a woman as CSH?

KJH as a son and value more as a good son who

- loves reading to not make parents worry during work for family living with fruit store;

- stydies hard as a student that parents will cherish;

- loves and values his family as a son any family would dream of

- starts working in the reputable workplace with KJH's own competent

I thought I would worry as same as KJH's parents or even worse because

- CSH is CEO in their son's hotel who divorced from a powerful chaebol's family which still showed strong intention to control CSH. 

- CSH is a reputable politician's daugther who is a candidate to be President.  

Could we imagine how a fruit store's parents worry their son who is in love with this Korean Candidate to President's position? 

- KJH has been relocated to Sokcho which is a mysterous evidence that KJH's love with CSH impacted KJH's life and would there be any more impacts to KJH's life in the future?

- KJH looks dearly love CSH but KJH's parents has not known what CSH actually is.

If we were CSH's dad (let me ignore CSH's mom), what would we think about CSH's love life?

- CSH's dad might become politician from his political ideology which he would like to make it achieve in practicality;

- To achieve such political ideology, as a politician, he requires image, power, wealth, as same as the election in several coutries in the world. 

In reality, if this is not in the K-drama's script, what would CSH's dad do to CSH's love life before his election?

By the way,

we have KJH who explained what love is and what is KJH's love value VS. Ex-husband's perspective.

PBG-Love-begins.jpg

KJH's dad and CSH discussed with wise approach. 

Too special or insufficent, Too normal or adequate? 

KJH's dad has not decided yet while CSH asked him to watch KJS&CSH then. 

PBG-wise-dad.jpg

KJH's mom who cares about living, cooking, her husband&her sons.

KJH's dad who cares about working for his family and how to take care them.

When KJH values his parents so much, CSH's try to express her "normality" by attending KJH's family dinner might be her way to show her love to KJH.

PBG-Dad-normal.jpg

• Like 18