Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

5 hours ago, Far^away said:

Hide contents

PO has improved a lot, considering his last outing in Fluttering Warning. His scene with HI is heartwarming. He talked abour her crushing on JH all this while but what about him himself? I find it so bittersweet and he captured the feeling well. Job well done PO! And considering he’s a rapper, his singing voice is not that bad :)

I also enjoy watching Jin Hyuk and Jin Myung scenes. In some scenes JH has the holding power over JM but in the latest scenes JM cutely bullied JH. I really, really love the scene with Jangsoo Apa and JM when he is teasing his Oma...Such a familiar scene in our house. P.O has been a good match as a brother to JH and friend to DC and HI. They deliver heartwarming scenes and I don't escape it to watch because it is not boring. 

• Like 21

1 hour ago, NongpeeP said:

I guessed the reasons why some directors voted for the ex-husband because this ex-husband invested with majority shares which he can change director seats upon the shareholding he held, those directors who would not like to be removed might vote yes for ex-husband.

In the board of directors, there were some objection from some directors but this group can not overcome.

Hmm, that doesn't quite seem right given how corporations work and what's been presented in the drama thus far, but I'll let it go. This isn't a drama about business after all. It's a love story about a man and a woman, overcoming societal norms to be together. Thanks for trying.  :)

• Like 14
  • LOL 1

SHK hinting at somethinng about CSH in her new post? :huh:

5-DFBF4-EF-C0-AB-4537-A54-A-EDA1-FDD3-B1

Translation -  Cha Soo Hyun (apple emoji of the girl with the tipping hand/information desk girl)

64-B37-C13-2-CC8-4-E8-E-9-F21-327-AA86-A

• Like 17
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, Far^away said:

Let me arrange my words better. I think he came to Donghwa primarily because he thought that if he gained the hotel, then SH would have no choice but to go to him, since the hotel means everything to her. I also believe he think that he is protecting her right on Donghwa by snatching the hotel himself since he did it without his mother's help. He definitely up to something, and this is implied when he doesn't say a word when his mom asked if he also had the same intention as hers for acquiring Donghwa.

He was rather offended when SooHyun said he had the backing of his mother, wasn't he.  Someone must have mommy issues.  Someone also has not graduated beyond pulling the hair of the girl he likes, in order to get her attention.  And I'm sure his mother is quite aware of how immature her son is.  The question in my mind is whether or not his mother will allow him to get away with whatever plan he's hatching.  So far, WooSeok has achieved her goal-- control of Donghwa-- without getting any negative attention from the media.  He's obtained the majority of the shares, all without any fuss.  Now the last thing on her agenda-- making SooHyun crawl--  is the hardest part.  I think his mother is letting her son do all this so he can see how futile it is (meaning making SooHyun love him) and thereby make him angry.  She hopes (imo) that he'll get angry enough to punish SooHyun and her parents himself, so she won't have to lift a finger.  And once he's vented his anger, he'll be her obedient son again and marry a woman she chooses. 

2 hours ago, thistle said:

What I'm waiting for is a meeting between SH and JH mothers--that's gonna be rough.  Seeing what SH's mother is like will be all it will take for JH's mother to be on SH's side.

In my imagination, I think JinHyuk got his thoughtfulness from his dad and his stubborness/steeliness from his mother.  I'd quite like to see SooHyun's mother trying to ride roughshod over JinHyuk (or SooHyun!) when his mother's there to hear.  I think we'd see a whole other side of Joo YeonJa, just like how we do when JinHyuk is put face to face with WooSeok or his mother. 

@ahdrianaa Maybe she just thinks the emoji looks a like a cute mini version of SooHyun?  :sweatingbullets:

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I got the sense that JM has been crushing on HI for as long as HI's been crushing on JH, but because HI is older and his brother's friend and is crushing on that same brother, JM has been treating her like a sister and not letting on. He's been keeping an awfully close eye on her to know exactly how long she's been crushing on JH, not to mention him saying that he had thought that she would have gotten over it through all those years in high school, college, and while JH was away at the army.

I was really impressed with JinMyeong in this episode.  He navigates all these different roles (trustworthy little brother, burgeoning partner to DaeChan, innocent/naughty youngest child, and now dependable and insightful friend) so effortlessly.  It was nice for the drama to highlight that the Jin brothers are more similar than they are different.  The barely there hint that JinMyeong likes HyeIn was so smoothly done during the masquerade party, that I'd actually forgotten about it until this episode!  :heart: Hopefully HyeIn, now that someone has acknowledged her heart, will be able to move on and find her own happiness with someone else. 

And on that same note... Kim SunJoo what the heck?  Why'd you ignore Manager Nam like that? :joy:  Is she entering the push/pull stage already?  Is this her professionalism?  I'm very curious.  Hopefully, we'll get to see Manager Nam ask her about it in the next episode...

• Like 23

5 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

Thank you gumtaek.

I believe you posted links on some searches for Naver for encounter, pbg, shk before? Can you post it again please.

I was trying to compose replies for the discussion but I stumbled on your post and think it takes precedence. :D

Will give you 1st this link for all the Naver Videos...didn't memorize page where I posted the links :huh:

Watching these vids increase the number of views...

https://m.tv.naver.com/cjenm.tvNencounter/home

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sugarbunnee said:

I wasn't sure I would be posting here again but my love for the last episode and our JinSoo couple brought me back to say a few words.

I'm glad you came back.  :)  Please keep sharing your insights and enthusiasm with us.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have so many thoughts about episode 12 and I have not watched it fully subbed...with this drama, everything is nuanced; therefore, the subs are important.  If I ramble, please bare with me and forgive me.

The main question I have is what would make some of the shareholders think that the hotel was in trouble...don't they read their financial reports?  So what if CSH have a love interest, I am sure many of the board members have mistresses.   If my investment is doing better under new management, why go with someone who has no experience?  Does JWS think the former hotel leadership will help him when they were a part of the decline of the hotel?   What I don't like is: 

1.   JWS looks at CSH as property and not a respected human being;

2.  JWS has no confidence in CSH abilities to make informed decisions although she took a failing hotel and made it five star again...how arrogant.

Why is it now that JWS decided to step up to the plate?  When he had her, he did not protect her from his mother.  I will use this analogy.  Many times a kid will get tired of a toy and put it way in the toy box and forget about it until another kid decides he/she likes the toy and want to play with it.  The kid who owns the toy, had no interest in the toy; however, once another child likes the toy and wants to play with it, then all of a sudden, it's mine...I want to play with it, you cannot have it.  It is the same with JWS, he was not interest in getting back with CSH until JH showed interest in her and she in him.  Now, "stay away from my woman."  Really, you have your chance and squandered it.  If JWS really loves CSH, he would let her go and wish her happiness.  I would not say that JWS is evil yet, but I will say that he is petty, childish, and arrogant. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

I have so many thoughts about episode 12 and I have not watched it fully subbed...with this drama, everything is nuanced; therefore, the subs are important.  If I ramble, please bare with me and forgive me.

The main question I have is what would make some of the shareholders think that the hotel was in trouble...don't they read their financial reports?  So what if CSH have a love interest, I am sure many of the board members have mistresses.   If my investment is doing better under new management, why go with someone who has no experience?  Does JWS think the former hotel leadership will help him when they were a part of the decline of the hotel?   What I don't like is: 

1.   JWS looks at CSH as property and not a respected human being;

2.  JWS has no confidence in CSH abilities to make informed decisions although she took a failing hotel and made it five star again...how arrogant.

Why is it now that JWS decided to step up to the plate?  When he had her, he did not protect her from his mother.  I will use this analogy.  Many times a kid will get tired of a toy and put it way in the toy box and forget about it until another kid decides he/she likes the toy and want to play with it.  The kid who owns the toy, had no interest in the toy; however, once another child likes the toy and wants to play with it, then all of a sudden, it's mine...I want to play with it, you cannot have it.  It is the same with JWS, he was not interest in getting back with CSH until JH showed interest in her and she in him.  Now, "stay away from my woman."  Really, you have your chance and squandered it.  If JWS really loves CSH, he would let her go and wish her happiness.  I would not say that JWS is evil yet, but I will say that he is petty, childish, and arrogant. 

I loved your analogy. admire onion headGreat analysis.good job onion head

I have been thinking about this: JWS even said that he had no idea how to manage Donghwa hotel, this would be new for him. So once CSH decides to quit as CEO with no regret, JWS will become the new CEO of Donghwa hotel and has no idea how to do it. It would be great if the D. hotel faces another crisis because JWS made the wrong decision: building a pool instead of keeping the garden in Cuba... JWS is definitely someone who has no idea about treasuring something, love of the past... he would expect that a grand hotel has a swimming pool. 

• Like 15

I keep oscillating between thinking there is going to be a tragic or happy end. There are arguments to be made for both possibilities, the

writers have laid down a trail of bedcrumbs; some just to cause confusion in our minds.

If you have 17 minutes to spare, find a quiet corner of your room and listen to this audio excerpt from the World’s End Girlfriend, the book JH was reading episode 9 and he quoted that poem to SH in the last episode.

There are several themes that will jump at you after listening to this excerpt. It’s hauntingly good, dealing with themes of parting, love,memory, death, the impossible becoming possible?, hope, time. 

I know it ends with a cliffhanger, still trying to find the complete book in English. 

These goosebumps enduring lines, in quotes are lines from the book; the other text are just my observations.

”Metasequoia, the living fossil” 

( the tree was considered extinct but a miraculous discovery in China earned this tree the nickname of a living fossil, what was once considered dead and gone, came back to life) 

“There is a Metasequoia tree at the end of the path he is walking and this is the end of the world where he and his girlfriend will someday sit together, leaning with their backs against the rough trunk of the tree. As fire and tears seep into each other or as the moon and rainbow would”

( JH says his only path is towards SH, since she is his entire world ; his world ends with SH. He tells SH to lean against the tree and she thinks it’s an odd pose. Can fire and tears seep into each other? And a moon and a rainbow, together? But if the Metasequoia could come back to life and make the impossible possible, then is there truly any definite certainty that fire and tears can’t come together?) 

”love will belatedly fade away, at a touch, just a touch, without a trace, not a mark, like snow in March”

( is love fleeting? Can the memory of true love fade away?)

“memory being what it is, you lose sight of many of the cogwheels turning and meshing with each other. All events leave some kind of mark and after a while this makes it possible to know what the first cogwheel was ......... then it took three seasons - fall, winter and spring - to pass before the next cogwheel began to turn”

(JH and SH probably met sometime in November which is fall season, they have spent winter together and now it’s about to be spring. Will they spend the summer together?) 

@yonaomi123 SHK is known to post cryptic photos late at night, she did it all the time during her last drama. She posted those snaps of CSH around 2:00 am KST. ^_^

• Like 12
  • Thanks 11

7 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

The thing is that now he can not fire KJH as he is the face of Donghwa Hotel due to his action. 

Absolutely correct. JWS can't fire KJH because of this big merit. He will just sulk inside and  just watch how KJH is doing with CSH but still he cannot do anything  that irreversible. The writer is just so genius to be able to put a solid back up with KJH's character since he is a newly-hired employee. 

• Like 19
  • LOL 1

I'm finally caught up with all 12 episodes of Encounter so I'm back here on this thread to share some of my thoughts...

• I am so very disappointed with WS. I think I mentioned in my previous posts here how I felt somewhat sorry for him because he clearly still had feelings for CSH and was trying to protect her from the side. However, with these last few episodes, he's turned into someone I have no sympathy for. I actually really appreciated that conversation between JH and WS where JH tells him that what WS is doing isn't love because love doesn't mean hurting the person you claim to love. WS is clearly very selfish and I honestly don't understand why he is doing such underhanded things now. I mean if he was willing to pay someone to pretend he was cheating so CSH could be granted a divorce, then why is he desperately hanging on to her now? 
  • I was so happy when CSH's dad said "what kind of a father would I be if I cannot protect my child?" (or something like that) to Manager Nam. I cannot wait to see how he's going to protect her. Because seriously, she needs at least one parent who is willing to do something for her sake. We all know her mother is utterly selfish.

I have also noticed the following and I'm not sure if they were intended or if it's just me reading more into them....

• The paintings/artwork in CSH's office and home. They are often paintings of a person who seemed lonely. In every scene where she is contemplating at home or working alone in her office, it would always show a painting depicting how she was feeling - alone. I thought it was also interesting that during the scene where she was in her office, looking at a document with an area for the CEO's signature, when she got up to walk to the window, it panned to a painting behind her of a group of people. To me, it's as if it's saying "it feels crowded in here" which is probably how she was feeling with WS forcing himself into Donghwa. 
  • Also, apart from the paintings, CSH's room and office are very bland - not much colour, everything in perfect order, with just the basic decor. In contrast, when we look at JH's room, they are filled with photos he's taken and little mementos he's collected. I feel like this is also meant to give us an idea of what their lives have been like. CSH has been, simply put, just existing. She didn't have attachments or special memories/mementos to collect. Her life was plain and not colourful so to speak. In contrast, JH's life has been full of fun memories, books that have shaped his thinking. His room is full - as if to say his life is full and colourful.
  • I also really loved the scene where JH gifts CSH his beloved camera. One, it's the one material possession he treasured most. He treasured it so much that he did not want it replaced after it got broken during the car accident in Cuba. He declined monetary compensation for it because to him, that camera meant more to him than just an object. The fact that he gave it to CSH meant that she was more precious to him. I also thought it might be symbolic in a sense that JH is gifting her with the same view of life he has. She's slowly learning to enjoy herself, she goes out more, tries new things more and is seeing things through JH's perspective so to speak. It's as if by looking through the lenses of his camera, she can see what he sees and I think that's lovely.

And the ending of ep 12 when she shows up at his place!!! It says so much!!! :heart:

• Like 21

4 hours ago, luvhollandlop said:

I can’t help but compare the 2 very different ways of expressing love; WS’s expression of love and JH’s.

Perhaps due to personality or the way they were brought up.

JH is very considerate and not seeking his own gain. He chose his actions and words carefully, taking into consideration how he can place SH’s needs before his own. Knowing that she grew up in an environment where she had no voice, could not choose and therefore no sense of security, he made every effort to support, help and protect SH. SH, in response, became more expressive and courageous in loving.

WS pales in comparison. He had no idea what SH needs. He did not protect SH from his mother’s controlling and malicious behaviour during their marriage. Even after their divorce, he did nothing to stop his mother from controlling SH. Perhaps, he was fearful of his mother’s wrath, but I argue that when JH came face to face with her malice, he wasn’t cowering with fear for himself but filled with sadness at how SH had been suffering. JH became more determined to protect her.

When WS found out about SH’s and JH’s relationship, instead of asking SH whether she is happy with JH and blessing them, he chose to tell SH he wanted her back. Again, her needs and wants are not important to him. He went as far as to intimidate JH. When WS found out about his mother’s ploy to bring SH down from being CEO of the hotel, he chose to become a co-CEO of hotel to protect her. Is that what she wants? Clearly not. 

I do feel sorry for WS because I can’t imagine living with a mother so controlling and malicious. He is clearly unhappy and quite damaged. I do want him to find his own happiness so hopefully, writer will write him a growth spurt so that he can have a real relationship with someone else.

ITA. However, I don’t sympathize with WS. I know that people live their lives differently across societies and cultures but I can never understand or sympathize with adults who choose to allow their parents or families to control them. It’s just something I do not understand in any shape or form. Often rich families are portrayed as controlling their adult children but I very often wonder why don’t those adult children have the courage to break free, earn their own money and live their own lives. If they choose not to break free then I just assume they don’t want to give up their luxury and family so I tend not to sympathize with them. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

ITA. However, I don’t sympathize with WS. I know that people live their lives differently across societies and cultures but I can never understand or sympathize with adults who choose to allow their parents or families to control them. It’s just something I do not understand in any shape or form. Often rich families are portrayed as controlling their adult children but I very often wonder why don’t those adult children have the courage to break free, earn their own money and live their own lives. If they choose not to break free then I just assume they don’t want to give up their luxury and family so I tend not to sympathize with them. 

Me neither. The excuse that he has a terrible mother is not a real excuse. If so, why is CSH so different from him? CSH has also a difficult and controlling mother but she is not scheming like he is.

Yesterday, I wrote as a joke that while JH was rumored to be a stalker, JWS behaved like a stalker.  After giving some thought and researching about it, I really came to the conclusion that JWS indeed behaves like a stalker:

Stalking is defined as repeated and unwanted attention, harassment, contact, or any other behavior directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to feel fear. In 2006, psychologist Brian Spitzberg at San Diego State University conducted large-scale representative studies of stalking behavior across three continents. He reported that 2–13% of males and 8–32% of females are victimized by stalking at some point in their adult lives, and in the majority of such cases, the person is stalked by someone they know.

The relentless neurotic nature of the stalker can take the form of harassing their targets, calling them repeatedly, as well as sending letters and gifts. If these are ineffective, the individual may escalate to more intrusive behaviors such as spying on, and unexpectedly confronting their victims. Research tends to focus on how violating it is to bear the brunt of stalkers’ obsessions, but there is little to explain what exactly motivates the stalker, and further, how to therapeutically treat these offenders.

Here we have:

- seeking attention and it is unwanted

- calling often, trying to meet often

- sending letters and flowers and all these are unwanted

- following

-spying, monitoring

And we saw JWS has been doing all this, since the beginning... moreover, the harassment is increasing. 

CSH is not feeling fear in front of him right now but she is definitely uncomfortable and pressured. She keeps pushing JWS away and the latter even forces her to meet him (see his conversation in the episode 12 at her office).

Therefore I can not feel pity or even sorry for him at all. He can do what he wants, he was able to purchase a lot of shares without his mother knowing it. He has a lot of freedom but he tried to justify his past behavior saying that he had the same type of mother like CSH. However, I believe that that was just an excuse. He definitely had more freedom than CSH and his uncle did blame him too.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 9