[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

I just realized it has been quite some time since I last logged in this forum. And it's all because of this very special drama.  And to think when I first watched the first episode set in Cuba, I wasn't initially sold to the pairing. Personally, her going out to Morro Cabana after taking a sleeping pill was too irresponsible. She could have died or injured if it wasn't for JH. 

It was only  right after the second episode that I fell in love with the drama. I could still remember exactly which moment. It was when CSH was giving her welcome speech when she came to a full stop after realizing that the person, who she spent a memorable time with in Cuba, is now sitting there among the new recruits.  It feels like it was just the two of them in that crowded place, the rest doesn't exist or matter.

And since waiting for the next episode seems too long, though in truth it's just several more days. And with just four episodes left I I just realized now how much Encounter has touched my heart and filled my thoughts. There are just too many beautiful scenes and moments in the drama, but for now my favorite would be the ending of episode 12. It was just too emotionally touching that I try not to rewatch it for the meantime. The words uttered by JH to SH just simply brings out the tears in my eyes. 

Reading everyone's posts here is a joy and filled with lots of hope for a happy ending.  Thank you to everyone for making this thread so alive with so much insights. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@NongpeeP I agree with you. In Encounter, the process of love matters the most: the little steps how they come closer and finally admit their love for each other, while for JWS, only the result matters. He even said it to director Choi. That's his way of thinking: that's why he faked the cheating, he lied to her aso. He wanted to start over and never paid attention to the way how he proceeded. This also explains why he uses the hotel as a way to come closer to her: only the result matters. He is closer to her physically but in reality, he is getting further away from her. He is pushing her to the other side.

@bebebisous33

Before I watch Encounter, I don't like Melodrama, social gap, and sad story because I might be one of result-oriented as you mentioned about ex-husband.

That's why I avoid to watch the drama which might make me sad.

However, Encounter made me change my mind not just about watching drama but Encounter made me rethink about trying  the new thing in life with uttermost attempt might be more important than avoiding to do because of fear to failure.

Encounter showed audiences that KJH and CSH do the best for their love. Audiences can enjoy the process of true love, regardless what will happen next and no matter the ending will be because over all 12 episodes I really appreciate

- actions with reasonable facts and attempt from KJH&CSH's interest, attraction, fondness, affection, and true love;

- the realistic script with unbelievable story by scriptwriter;

- sincere acting by Park Bo Gum, Song Hye Kyo, all Casts;

- directing and cinematography by Casts&Crews

This is really sufficient for a drama and for a value in our real life.

Block B’s P.O Talks About Filming His 1st Scene With Song Hye Kyo On 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1291649wpp/block-bs-p-o-talks-filming-1st-scene-song-hye-kyo-encounter

Acting as Kim Jin Hyuk's little brother, P.O's age is 0.5 year older than Park Bo Gum.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

@Far^away @bebebisous33 don’t know what is lovers in Paris, I am guessing it’s a movie or a drama with a dream ending? I don’t see it really happening but I am keeping my mind open to anything happening. 

Reading your comments made me wonder if we had the same age gap as SHK & PBG :sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

That being said, Lovers in Paris is such a big hit in the heyday that the ending baffled everyone because it was just an imagination of the female lead. But in the end, both leads really met, but the drama ended with them looking at each other. 

Dare I hope that the sequence of them meeting at the beachside in Cuba is purely just a scene to be included in the promo? Huhu. 

Because we didn’t see them hugging each other too wearing that blue outfir which lead to that damn balcony scene:rolleyes:

• Like 14
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

If Sh loose donghwa hotel, i guess its only the ones in korea and not cuba. I believe a corporation put up in a foreign land cannot be solely own by foreigners, only a certain percentage. If this will be the case, stockholders will be mostly cubans and whats left are for foreigners. And who knows it has already been acquired by SH.

Since the future is unpredictable, let me say something about the past.

1. Why would Sh said... my meeting got cancelled. Isn't it the excuse of JH to his family and only his family 

Knows this? Maybe the works of the younger brother, Ldc and sec. Jang. Or their mental telepathy is at its peak?

2. Why did i never guess that Sh will not attend the death anniv?  When she place her white scarf and white bag over the black dress and when she called mr. Nam and look at the black dress minus the white scarf and bag. Of course, she will choose white over black, light over darkness.

3. Sh's mother has toned down. Her usual talks with Sh is with anger, now its please, please.... I wonder how she will react when she'll learn that there is no way to the blue house.

4. JH's mother... i changed my mind about her,  anything changes, right. She just feel pressured . And saying she doesn't want woman with sad story,  We women have this..."we don't mean what we say and we don't say what we mean".

5.the divorce.... having another theory that it is not a sole idea and doing of Ws. Would he do something this big on his own,  when something like protecting Sh from his mother he cannot do?  Having a son with a mistress will taint the reputation of her family, so his mother will suppress it or kill the smoke before it became fire. And only after 4 yrs is when his mother known who the mistress is.  And every convo with Sh, it sounds to me that its Ws who is asking for coming back. Isn't it he's the one who pushed Sh away and not the other way? 

Maybe, Sh worked behind their back. Remember, mr. Nam said that Sh is always bolder. If she can raise a bankrupt hotel to a 5 star in a span of 4 yrs, she can get out of her marriage in 2 yrs...

5. Allow me to say this, don't scold me:crazy:. Watching their 2nd  day in cuba, i don't see Jh, i am seeing Pbg.

• Like 9
  • LOL 6

1 hour ago, roshzanna said:

5. Allow me to say this, don't scold me:crazy:. Watching their 2nd  day in cuba, i don't see Jh, i am seeing Pbg.

Hahaha is that a good thing or not? You mean in Episode 10?

———————————

While reading your theories about this drama, it’s interesting how your imagination gets wilder and wilder. I would break my screne too if all this turned out to be a dream. :crazy: Please PD nim dont you dare! Dont you waaaaa!

Someone posted that CSH dad might not run for the presidency and I think this is really what will happen. I’m excited to see everyone’s expression whe he will finally announce it. It takes alot of load out of CSH’s shoulders. 

Like everyone else, I absolutely adore the ending. CSH saying that her meeting ended early is a sloppy excuse why she was there when both of them knew why csh couldn’t come. Every time one of them forces to talk while tearing up, and tou can hear their voices crack, ahhhh thats one helluva acting. Just like when CSH said “why” and when KJH said I’m in trouble. 

Moreover, i love how this movie made most people realize shk’s acting style. I am a big fan because she can somehow act with very minimal movements and thats something I dont really see often. And every time PBG gets serious or mad, ahhhh he transforms! He should take a role of an antagonist next time, and it might be the first time i’ll root for an antagonist. 

I’m blabbering and my thoughts are flying. I don’t know what to do when this drama ends. :dissapointed_relieved:

PS. @bebebisous33 i just love how you associated CSH’s personality with the sea. But my favorite was when you said she was a bird who is in desperate need of freedom and KJH is the tree. You painted a very pretty picture :wub:

• Like 13
  • LOL 3

@roshzannathis is just only my point of view in some of your excellent observations and questions.

1. I think you are right for that matter about DH hotel in Cuba. The hotel in Korea will also be a huge battle first before they can own it again even the clause in divorce is there. It will go back again to how was the hotel status before it was developed by SH. Battle of legals are On.

2.Wow, I did not even observe that. Lol. What made my mind and my heart decided that SH would go to JH is the narration between her and  JH's father. It showed there,  at least for me, that she needed also to assure the family that she is Real in every way to JH. Parent's influence is always empowering.

3.LMAO...She will throw a huge, huge, huge fit. Maybe she will even ask SH's father to have a divorce. Pity on her. I think there is a one % mothers of her kind in this world. Mothers basically are protective in nature. Just so sad she is like that because I can't imagine if my mother is as twisted as that. 

4.The plot showed that it is WS who asked for a divorce using the other gal so that he could release SH from his mother's annoying and punishing control. That was his way of doing good things for SH, just to let go of his wife instead of letting go of his mother and the huge inheritance of TG. For me also WS is not as bold as JH since he didn't want to let go of TG, a typical chaebol character. But now seeing SH has changed and from the first talk between him and SH he already hinted that there is something warm between JH and SH, he is making his evil ways. He maybe thought in the past that SH would aIso grow older without a man to love her because of her coldness. But this did not happen because the  happy soul JH became a part of her life. As we watch the episodes we can see how SH portrays her character. At first she really is the ice queen even around JH but JH breaks those ice. I think it is about PRIDE not LOVE about WS coming back to SH.  His (WS) mother is just so irritating and always emphasizing that what important to her is TG. Ep12 emphasized it. 

5.Dont worry because we are in the same page. Giggling here. :DPBG just made KJH's character so alive. He is just so so so beautiful to watch. I don't even know also how does he do every scene knowing he is just a 25 year old man. I wonder also how those kissing scenes, dialogues,  those facial expressions,  and everything about him and his acting become so perfect. He is just so perfect in kissing scenes. Level of stars: 5,Lol. I saw Insung,  Seungwoo and other great actors today when they were young through their movies but I never see this intense portrayal for an actor. He deserves to be loved by people around him and his fans. He deserves to be in movies. I hope he explores big screen this following years. Peace and love for everyone. So cold here. 

• Like 18

8 hours ago, emmafaye said:

Thank you a lot to all the chingus commenting on this thread. I don't comment to much because I am a slow reader, and I want to read everything before I answer, but whenever I want to say something or answer a post, someone has said it before, and better than me! LOL 

But it is ok. 

Thank you @bebebisous33 a lot, a lot, for your analysis. It is really a pleasure to appreciate the beauty of this drama, explained so well those symbolic elements that we feel, but we cannot described very well if we were asked to. 

I also studied literature in the university, but my major is basically applied linguistic, I only had literature workgroups, workshops, seminars and extra classes. I was so passionate about it, I even wrote a novel (although it is not good), and I won a couple of contests, but boy, you are great writer!!!!!!!! Congratulations! 

I have a disadvantage with English because it is not my mother language. Whenever I would have to write a paper about any topic in English, I can do it but with big effort. So, I appreciate reading somebody else saying what I would like to say. 

I am enjoying this drama a lot because of this website, and although I am in another k-drama forum, I like it here better. 

So... Just a small words of appreciation. I am still on page 244 (out of 277 up to this point), so... I am still behind. But having fun also with the comments, so thank you. 

Thank you all! :)

Thanks a lot for the compliment. However, English is not my mother language too, just my second foreign language I learnt from middle school. My mother language is French. I studied French and German literature at university but actually, I am just teaching French as foreign language at middle school and high school in Germany. Only for higher classes (high school diploma) it is possible to analyse literature which I like doing the most but seldom do, unfortunately. 

@dukesa1122 You prefer the symbol of the bird as CSH. We shouldn't forget that we have four elements: air, earth, fire and water.

JH is the wind (air), the sun (fire) and the tree (earth  because of the roots / air the high branches)

CSH is the bird (air) and the sea (water)

As you can see, they complement each other but they have something in common: the air. Therefore they are a match for each other.

I also think that CSH will move out of her huge and empty flat and live in JH's neighborhood. She might even buy the place that belongs to the playground. Nam mentioned it as a joke, if she didn't want to move to JH's neighborhood. Moreover, this would definitely show that she cut ties with her past. JWS who has no ties with JH's neighborhood would be forced to go to that neighborhood. Moreover, his stalking might be discovered because such a huge car is pretty visible in such a district.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Aigooo @bebebisous33 how much shall I pay you to teach me German? I always like their language :lol:

It is both amazing and confusing how csh can be the bird and sea at the same time. If you think about air and water. They are almost opposite. Almost because I would think that fire is opposite of water. I suppose i could think being in the air she would seem so high up but could not stop thinking how it feels to be in the water, grounded and low and free.

Just my musings....

——————————

About CSH dropping her position and power, dropping the hotel she had worked so hard for is not really what I want as an ending. This show is suppose to tell the people that gaps in age, social status and finaces are imaginary when it comes to love. CSH losing her hotels or giving it up doesn’t sit well with one of the points of the drama. I’d rather she keeps her hotels that she has fought tooth and nails for and love too. It shows that both these gaps could still work when it comes to loving someone.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

@dukesa1122 I don't see sea and bird as opposite elements because there are a lot of birds living close to the sea: pelicans, seagulls etc. 

As for the hotel, I have the impression that CSH might resign herself and not wait until the hotel is taken away from her. However, I sense that the directors might choose her over JWS because she has done a better job than he will do. He has no idea about that kind of business. As a royal, I don't see him paying attention to others and the Hotel in Cuba will be the cause for his trouble. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1