Soompi Forums Awards: The Most Iconic Female Leads, The Most Disappointing Dramas, Favorite Kdrama Trends (2023) - Poll #3

partyon

Soompi Forums Awards: The Most Iconic Female Leads, The Most Disappointing Dramas, Favorite Kdrama Trends (2023)  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which Female Leads were the most iconic in 2023? (choose as many as you like)

• Agency: Go A In (Lee Bo Young)
    • Alchemy of Souls 2: Naksu / Cho Yeong / Jin Bu Yeon (Go Youn Jung)
    • Bo Ra! Deborah: Yeon Bora (Yoo Inna)
    • Castaway Diva: Seo Mok Ha (Park Eun Bin)
    • Celebrity: Seo Ari (Park Gyu Young)
    • Crash Course in Romance: Nam Haeng Seon (Jeon Do Yeon)
    • Doctor Cha: Dr Cha (Uhm Jung Hwa)
    • Dr. Romantic 3: Dr. Cha Eun Jae (Lee Sung Kyung)
    • The Glory: Moon Dong Eun (Song Hye Kyo)
    • The Good Bad Mother: Jin Young Soon (Ra Mi Ran)
    • King the Land: Cheon Sa Rang (Yoona)
    • Love to Hate You: Yeo Mi Ran (Kim Ok Vin)
    • Mask Girl: Kim Mo Mi (Nana)
    • Not Others: Kim Eun Mi (Jeon Hye Jin)
    • Queenmaker: Hwang Do Hee (Kim Hee Ae)
    • Revenant: Gu San Yeong (Kim Tae Ri)
    • See You In My 19th Life: Ban Ji Eum (Shin Hye Sun)
    • Strong Girl Nam Soon: Kang Namsoon (Lee Yu Mi)
    • Tale of the Nine Tailed 1938: Ryu Hong Joo (Kim So Yeon)
    • None of the above / Someone else
  2. 2. Which dramas had potential but ended up disappointing you the most in 2023? (choose as many as you like)

• Alcehmy of Souls: Light and Shadow
    • Bo Ra! Deborah
    • Castaway Diva
    • Crash Course in Romance
    • Destined With You
    • Doona!
    • Family: The Unbreakable Bond
    • Heartbeat
    • The Heavenly idol
    • King The Land
    • Kokdu: Season of Deity
    • My Dearest (Part 1 and Part 2)
    • My Lovely Liar
    • Our Blooming Youth
    • The Real Has Come!
    • See You In My 19th Life
    • Strong Girl Nam Soon
    • Sweet Home 2
    • Uncanny Counter 2
    • None of the above / Something else
  3. 3. Which were your favorite drama trends / tropes of 2023? (choose as many as you like)

• Sageuks
    • Marriage Contracts
    • Wrist Grabs
    • Time travel
    • Smoking / cigarettes
    • Revenge
    • Multiple lives spanning over centuries (reincarnation)
    • Kissing in the rain (without an umbrella)
    • Fantasy and supernatural themes
    • Shorter dramas (only 8 to 12 episodes)
    • Multiple seasons of dramas
    • More violence than before
    • Strong Female Leads
    • FL falling over - ML grabbing her to save her (this trope came back with a vengeance in 2023...)
    • Female initiated kisses
    • None of the above / Something else

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/18/2024 at 06:00 PM

10 hours ago, partyon said:

Let's lure Ms. Koko @kokodus to watch it with us! I already convinced her to watch Death's Game, we can surely convince her to watch a light makjang too.

What? No!!!! I would consider if its fun makjang but this looks like tragic makjang. No way I'm watching this show.

• Blob 2

17 hours ago, partyon said:

How about a Thai lakorn?

come on....

hell-freezes-over-when-hell-freezes-over

9 hours ago, willenette said:

I'd say you probably haven't tried the right one for your tastebuds yet. 

Probably it is just a phase. I find it hard to start even the episodes of dramas I like. :mellow:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

On 1/9/2024 at 5:44 PM, larus said:

I count only Kdramas or Kmovies. Maybe it is enough but I never watched less than 20 kdramas per year. It is the first time for me but I really didn`t have the mood to watch more. 

I watched around 20 KDramas this year, I am only counting the ones that aired in 2023, else I watched a bit more since I re-watched some dramas when I wasn't much interesting in the ongoing dramas. Counting in the movies, not sure how many I watched, but I doubt it would be more than 5-6 this year too.

But yeah, 20 Kdramas that aired in 2023, comparing this to last year, I had watched 25 kdramas. Over the years even for me the number of kdramas watched are decreasing somehow. I am finding most of the new dramas less engaging. 

But then again, there are some 2023 dramas that are in my watchlist and I will soon watch them, like "Twinkling Watermelon" and "Goryeo-Khitan War".

On 1/9/2024 at 5:44 PM, larus said:

Really? I know I don`t like or watch vampire dramas but I thought you like them. Or maybe you like only zombie dramas.

You see, in Vampires, they usually bring in some plot where vampires are lead or so, I have watched a few Vampire dramas, but not that many. Not so much into this genre, but wouldn't mind watching it if the plot is interesting. I sort of enjoyed "Blood" when it first came since I found the concept kinda new for vampire drama, but then that drama started going downhill. 

In Zombie dramas, the basic plot is same, which is survival, but the stakes are too high in it, you never know which character may end up getting infected. The characters are always in danger in such dramas (even though leads always have thick plot armors), which makes it even more interesting. But yes, not the best genre to watch while eating :joy:

On 1/9/2024 at 11:50 PM, partyon said:

Yes to Secret (Love)! Dongsaeng, when are we gonna do another rewatch?

Let's lure Ms. Koko @kokodus to watch it with us! I already convinced her to watch Death's Game, we can surely convince her to watch a light makjang too.

Maybe somewhere around late Feb or March? I think I am ready to rewatch it now! :eats:

Surely @kokodus Chingu will love it, this is like the lightest of the makjang dramas I have ever watched with a very good plot :piggydance:

On 1/9/2024 at 11:50 PM, partyon said:

And let's not forget @agenth, she will probably want to see her favorite Secret (Love) oppa! :love:

He was @agenth Chingu's most favorite character in this drama, wasn't he? :exercice:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I watched around 20 KDramas this year, I am only counting the ones that aired in 2023, else I watched a bit more since I re-watched some dramas when I wasn't much interesting in the ongoing dramas. Counting in the movies, not sure how many I watched, but I doubt it would be more than 5-6 this year too.

But yeah, 20 Kdramas that aired in 2023, comparing this to last year, I had watched 25 kdramas. Over the years even for me the number of kdramas watched are decreasing somehow. I am finding most of the new dramas less engaging. 

But then again, there are some 2023 dramas that are in my watchlist and I will soon watch them, like "Twinkling Watermelon" and "Goryeo-Khitan War".

@Sleepy Owl  In 2023, Korean movies still continued captivating me. Like you, I've watched 5-6 Korean movies last year. I guess you feel that new dramas are less engaging because it's becoming more apparent that either a section of K-drama writers don't know how to end an otherwise good story or drag it too much to make it till their preferred EP count. This make K-dramas not good anymore.   :kitty:

• Blob 2

On 1/10/2024 at 2:07 PM, larus said:

come on....

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

On 1/10/2024 at 6:43 AM, kokodus said:

What? No!!!! I would consider if its fun makjang but this looks like tragic makjang. No way I'm watching this show.

You sure, Ms. Koko? :evillaugh:

9 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

For me I am not necessarily picking up a lot less kdramas, I am actually watching more of them. Problem is that I drop like 90% of them which means I finish less dramas than before. :bawling:

Maybe somewhere around late Feb or March? I think I am ready to rewatch it now

pop star dancing GIF by Lifetime

He was @agenth Chingu's most favorite character in this drama, wasn't he?

@agenth while watching Secret (Love):

Kid Slap GIF by MOODMAN

• LOL 3
  • Blob 1

9 hours ago, partyon said:

For me I am not necessarily picking up a lot less kdramas, I am actually watching more of them. Problem is that I drop like 90% of them which means I finish less dramas than before. :bawling:

@partyon  You know, I never dropped something and not finish everything i started when it comes to watching dramas. Like when I sometimes hated the plot so much and it became uninteresting  to me already because it's dragging but, still watched all the way to the end simply because my bias is on it. I also don't skip scenes. I don't mind spoilers, either. I really enjoy knowing the ending of a show, even if it's super boring or slow. I really want to see the full picture of a drama, how the characters develop, and I don’t like to give up on something early and miss out on a major plot twist. I also don’t fast forward. I guess you do the 3 episode rule. If it doesn't interest you in 3 EPS then you just stop watching.   :kitty:

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

8 hours ago, willenette said:

You know, I never dropped something and not finish everything i started when it comes to watching dramas. Like when I sometimes hated the plot so much and it became uninteresting  to me already because it's dragging but, still watched all the way to the end simply because my bias is on it. I also don't skip scenes. I don't mind spoilers, either

I know what you mean. I usually don`t drop something I start either so I carefully start what it seems interesting to me. That`s why I rarely have disapointments when it comes to kdramas. :D But I drop dramas that are a terrible experience for me. For exemple, I wanted to watch Penthouse because of Kim So yeon but I only lasted until episode 4. I already knew that I don`t like Kim Soon Ok`s dramas (I watched only 6 episodes ofThe Last Empress and I knew that I hate her crazy makjang plot,  watching utterly nonsense non stop) but I wanted to give it a try for my girl. I can`t torture myself. :lol:

Sometime dropping dramas is a good decision.

• Blob 2

9 hours ago, willenette said:

Like when I sometimes hated the plot so much and it became uninteresting  to me already because it's dragging but, still watched all the way to the end simply because my bias is on it. 

same....    :approves:

42 minutes ago, larus said:

But I drop dramas that are a terrible experience for me. For exemple, I wanted to watch Penthouse because of Kim So yeon but I only lasted until episode 4. 

I finished 7Escape because of Lee Joon...  :D

37254ccfbad2df6e6b026bd0556e851e7186fbc2

1Wqcpc.gif

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

20 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I finished 7Escape because of Lee Joon...  

Probably you are ready for the revival to watch another round. I read some comments just to laugh at the nonsense. It is worse than `Penthouse`. :lol:

jake-peralta-such-a-hero.gif

• LOL 3

On 1/12/2024 at 8:03 PM, larus said:

I know what you mean. I usually don`t drop something I start either so I carefully start what it seems interesting to me. That`s why I rarely have disapointments when it comes to kdramas. :D But I drop dramas that are a terrible experience for me. For exemple, I wanted to watch Penthouse because of Kim So yeon but I only lasted until episode 4. I already knew that I don`t like Kim Soon Ok`s dramas (I watched only 6 episodes ofThe Last Empress and I knew that I hate her crazy makjang plot,  watching utterly nonsense non stop) but I wanted to give it a try for my girl. I can`t torture myself. :lol:

Sometime dropping dramas is a good decision.

@larus  now, I know that you like her. I very much agree with you about dropping dramas. It means that either it's not the right drama for you at this moment, or something went wrong in the writing..... Korean dramas often follow a storytelling structure that includes a strong beginning, a slower middle, and a rushed conclusion. I figure this has something to do with the way of production.   :heart2:

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

9 minutes ago, willenette said:

Korean dramas often follow a storytelling structure that includes a strong beginning, a slower middle, and a rushed conclusion. I figure this has something to do with the way of production. 

The writing, the acting, the direction, production, all is important but, I believe the writing is essential. That`s why, even before I want to know the actors, I read the synopsis and I want to know who is the writer. I watch dramas because of a favorite actor but most of the time this is not the major factor I choose to watch a drama.

I don`t know why the ending is the most dificult to write. I feel many don`t have the whole story in mind.  Not many stories have a good ending. I like determined writers who follow a coherent conclusion because even if I don`t like it, I could accept it.

• Blob 1

16 minutes ago, larus said:

I don`t know why the ending is the most dificult to write. I feel many don`t have the whole story in mind.  Not many stories have a good ending. I like determined writers who follow a coherent conclusion because even if I don`t like it, I could accept it.

Which dramas have had the best endings in your opinion? Agree that kdrama endings often suck....

And I cannot watch a drama just because of my oppa. If I don't like the drama, I'll drop it. Like a hot potato. Oppa or no oppa. :unamused:

Am a busy woman, have no time to watch nonsense.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, larus said:

The writing, the acting, the direction, production, all is important but, I believe the writing is essential. That`s why, even before I want to know the actors, I read the synopsis and I want to know who is the writer. I watch dramas because of a favorite actor but most of the time this is not the major factor I choose to watch a drama.

@larus  yes, I guess writing is essential in a way but for me it's a combination of writing, direction and acting. Any one of the three can make a wonderful project, be it a drama or a movie.  Some writers find the ending to be the most challenging part, as it requires tying up all the loose ends and providing a satisfying conclusion ...Often, if your ending isn't working, it's because it's unrealistic — either for common sense, or for your characters and setting as you established them earlier. Obviously, this is just a story, but the key to the "right" ending is often trying to imagine what would actually happen in a situation like this. Good story endings create a sense of closure for viewers. It helps us understand that the story has reached its logical conclusion and provides a satisfying finish. It's not just about wrapping up loose ends, it's about how viewers internalize the journey from start to finish. A weak ending can ruin everything. Hence, writing an ending that does justice to your story isn't easy.   :heart4:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, partyon said:

Which dramas have had the best endings in your opinion?

I agree with @willenette, that a good ending is what gives some closure to the viewers. I don`t like the unfinished stories either.

• Love 1
  • Blob 1

22 minutes ago, partyon said:

Which dramas have had the best endings in your opinion? Agree that kdrama endings often suck....

And I cannot watch a drama just because of my oppa. If I don't like the drama, I'll drop it. Like a hot potato. Oppa or no oppa. :unamused:

Am a busy woman, have no time to watch nonsense.

@partyon  I honestly loved the "Legend of the Blue Sea."  I liked that they showed what happened to the couple until the end. That they were happy and about to have a baby. I wish all K-dramas had this in the end. I also loved the ending of "Tunnel". It's a lovely ending for a time travel genre, we are given the opportunity to look forward for the future.   :cheers:

• Blob 1

30 minutes ago, willenette said:

I also loved the ending of "Tunnel". It's a lovely ending for a time travel genre, we are given the opportunity to look forward for the future.  

I loved the ending of Tunnel :fullofhearts:

• Wiggle 1

Just voted for Naksu and hope she gets more votes since she's a super-amazing FL character :please:. I know that the plot and development for AoS were weak at times, but Naksu shined through all of it. I loved that she was so badass; she went under so much pain and difficulties and she survived and ended up being a master magician and warrior. I found it inspiring too that in the end she left a bit the warrior side and the swords fights and just joined her love, forming an awesome power couple and going through the country hunting monsters down. She was able to heal and change her life for the better, and be happy in the end :D

• Love 1

hohstMN.gif

The Most Iconic Female Leads, The Most Disappointing Dramas, Favorite Kdrama Trends (2023) - Poll #3

.... and the winners of this poll are.... <insert more drum rolls here>....

The Most Iconic Female Lead (2023)

The Glory: Moon Dong Eun (played by Song Hye Kyo)

mt7zjlozooda1.gif

Takes courage, resilience, tenaciousness and strength to pull off such an elaborate scheme to take down the people who bullied you in school. No wonder Moon Dong Eun was voted as the most iconic FL of 2023.

Most disappointing drama (2023)

Strong Girl Namsoon

17fc3b_55764ef8a8bd4630b5cf52bf8f351f31~

Who didn't love Strong Woman Do Bong Soon with Bong-Bong and Min-Min? :wub: We had hopes for the sequel, but it ended up falling flat. The villain and Namsoon had more scenes and chemistry than the ML and FL, there were some weird mamas, unlces and grandmas roaming around and the plot was all over the place. This drama deserves the award it got!

:smashes:

Favorite drama tropes and trends (2023)

Strong Female Leads

ZpX8Y_2f.gif

We can't get enough of them kdrama producers and writers! Give us more kickass FLs - ones that know how to fight! :love:

Side note to kdrama producers and writers: judging from the poll, we don't like smoking and wrist grabs. So please get rid of those in 2024, okay?

:approves:

Thank you all for voting in our poll. Please look forward to new fun events launching soon! :kiss_wink:

tagging: @YongZura⁷ @asiaren @rocat @Rollito Deprimavera @Ephoenix @youactlikeicare @kingpin @africandramalover @leo2020 @sadthe1st @whome @pauliza @mademoisellesia @Ninixoxo @larus @frozentundra @willenette @LeftCoastOppa @itsmeash @usadango @sadthe1st @joccu @Biology Lesson  @mersea545 @tiMadam @maribella @MayanEcho @azwhoony @lebeaucouple @kingpin @SleepyKitty @cikqueen @Corina @kokodus @rocher22 @liddi @Lmangla @andy78 @Nermeen نرمين @TheQueenReturns @gm4queen @Peachypie @Tango27 

re: @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart @agenth

cr. to gif owners

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 1