[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

22 minutes ago, aisling said:

I think I finally understand why the writer chose Nam Do San as a main lead though everything pointed to Han Ji Pyeong to be the one.

It’s the timing and missed opportunity.

People are saying HJP was the one who wrote the letters and that it was him who SDM fell in love with. That might be true - that he was her first love, but what people don’t seem to realise is that HJP missed the opportunity to pursue her. Though he wrote her back he never cherished her enough to keep in touch or to seek her out again. That’s his missed opportunity.

On the other hand NDS never knew SDM existed but her letters instantly touched his heart and he decided to help her even though he never met her and didn’t expect to get anything in return. Her words reached to him and he was honest with himself the moment he realised he liked her while HJP denied any feelings towards SDM straight away. When HJP realises he has fallen in love with her, it will be too late because he didn’t admit his feelings soon enough and didn’t pursue her while he was the only one. 

What you said is the same as my thoughts!! 

I love that NDS is honest and admit he loves her. HJP has missed his chance and he will regret this. 

For now exactly because of this, i'm rooting for NDS. 

• Like 7

eps 3 is good

the reunion of the family (dal mi mother actually cares about her,but its because unfortunate event in the past that makes them seperated),the shy akward and cute moment nam do san and dal mi,they never dating and suddenly after they met, they became official lol. cant wait for eps 4. 

btw for people who curios about the writer of start up previous work,well she is park hye ryun. actually this is third colab between her and suzy *she loves suzy so much lol (dream high,while you were sleeping and now start up),she also writes 

pinocchio and i can hear your voice. as for nam joo hyuk isnt first time he acted with kang han na,they work together in moon lovers scarlet heart ryeo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aisling said:

I think I finally understand why the writer chose Nam Do San as a main lead though everything pointed to Han Ji Pyeong to be the one.

People are saying HJP was the one who wrote the letters and that it was him who SDM fell in love with. That might be true - that he was her first love, but what people don’t seem to realise is that HJP missed the opportunity to pursue her. Though he wrote her back he never cherished her enough to keep in touch or to seek her out again. That’s his missed opportunity.

On the other hand NDS never knew SDM existed but her letters instantly touched his heart and he decided to help her even though he never met her and didn’t expect to get anything in return. Her words reached to him and he was honest with himself the moment he realised he liked her while HJP denied any feelings towards SDM straight away. When HJP realises he has fallen in love with her, it will be too late because he didn’t admit his feelings soon enough and didn’t pursue her while he was the only one. 

Yes, i thought the same too. 
HJP never feel anything when he was SDM’s penpal back then. He only did that because of grandma. Now but, its might not  feel the same anymore, but he missed his chance once he find NDS to meet SDM. 

• Like 4

today episode is so wholesome omg. 

they play GO STOP together in the apartment ( or you could say the Samsan Tech Office when dalmi came ) 

we also see stephanie lee finally ad jung sa ha. 

also looks like it will be a fight for the spot in sandbox for Won in jae and her Team member ( who follow her and step down from the company to create a new startup ) vs Samsan tech + Dal mi + sa ha. 

let wait for next week!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aisling said:

Yes. You spot on.  In life, we make decision based on different stages of our life time. Everything we do whenever related to our career, love life or marriage life is all about the right timing.

Back then Han Ji Pyeong was poor and his focus was to make money and pursue his dream, he did not have luxury time to enjoy puppy love during those young days (Sad to say, he indeed missed the chance to confess to SDM but we could understand his priority was not there yet). But if this situation applied the same to NDS during his young days, and that his father had high expectation on him, he might behave the same as HJP too. Now the difference for HJP and NDS is not who should confess to SDM first, the difference is the timing at different stages of their life cycle. Their school days vs working adult days. Bottom line is, what is their priority at that point of time? Pursue their Dream first? or get a girlfriend first? Some may claim that we can have both concurrently (just like what the writer had set up for NDS storyline), but not always so lucky happen at the same time in real life. Yes, we can have both but it takes time to grow and developer together to achieve their common goals.

I am a firm believer on timing is everything. If it's meant to happen, it will, at the right time for the right reasons.

This drama made it a very interesting start, let's see how the story unfold and who will SDM choose eventually when both men fall for her.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I feel like in typical drama route the main male lead would be JP. His story and background is fleshed out and korea loves the whole first love storyline, so what would be typical is that female lead will eventually find out that the one behind her letter and her true love really is JP. Thus, the two end up together. 

but I actually like that drama isn’t going that route ( at least I hope it isn’t?-are we for sure that do San is the male lead?) 

I think it makes for more interesting storytelling and shows that timing is key. Although dosan isn’t who she thinks he is, I believe she’ll fall in love with the current dosan. The letters are from her past and she’s clung on to these ideals for So long, but the person she will eventually start loving is the current and now dosan. Honestly I rather she just find out the truth sooner rather than later. But I feel like it’ll be hidden for awhile. Anyways. I’m glad she’s at least figured out half of the truth that he isn’t some hotshot ceo, this way she can discover who he really is. It’ll be fun to witness them build samsan tech.

also! The girl on the swing is injae! 

• Like 7

Just Finished watching EP4. Really glad that that they are finally at Sandbox, with half of the truth revealed. maybe in the next episode SDM will get to know the whole truth.

Also, the one on the swing is Dal Mi based on what come out of their father's mouth in EP1, but why In Jae have that memory instead? any clues?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Afxdy said:

Just Finished watching EP4. Really glad that that they are finally at Sandbox, with half of the truth revealed. maybe in the next episode SDM will get to know the whole truth.

Also, the one on the swing is Dal Mi based on what come out of their father's mouth in EP1, but why In Jae have that memory instead? any clues?

Okay another theory - but what if initially it was Injae that fell off the swing and got hurt - but since mum told her to never go on the swing, she did as she was told and it was actually dalmi that came up iwth the sand idea. Eventhough her dad went through those lengths to put the sand there Injae was obedient to mum. Then dalmi inhaving faith in the sand he put there, was confident enough to test it per ep 1. This would be consistent with Injae's memory and the ep 1 memory. This could actually be a metaphor of the decisions each one made when their parents got divorced. Since then, injae mustve regretted things alot..? 

Edited by ck1995
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Hmm due to the set up, start-up: youth coding drama, watching ep-4, being a main lead not necesarily lead to love relationship, but Nam Do San gives up his position as CEO, he'll be CTO instead I think. In startup scene, CEO and CTO are good enough as a main lead already, not necessarily need to be in love relationship. Like Silicon Valley series of HBO, the drama can focus into the hardship of growing a start-up instead of romance. I am interested how will the existing Samsan Tech shares will be divided, after recruiting a new CEO who was not the original cofounder. The drama hint twice about this whole shares thing, first the videographer cousin who asked 1% (with no investment, too much in my opinion), and how In Jae, a CEO with minority shares can easily kick out. The whole shares thing can be a source of many drama already.

Samsan tech all hacker type, tech guy that rather clueless about business model and monetization. Now they recruit Dal Mi as a hustler, now they need a hipster, the lawyer girl mention that her passion is design, so she fit the picture. I also think that her background in law will be handy to navigate the whole term sheet issue. My bet is Sam San tech face recognition technology, can be monetize by Dal Mi's dad original idea, think of foursquare, instead of check in in a restaurant, the customer will be recognized by face recognition, instead of giving ratings may be customer satisfaction can be read from their expression by AI? For sure dad did a man who think ahead of his times.

In start up, selecting venture capitalist is more than just money. It is how much shares they asked for that money, and the same vision, did they really want the start up to be successful or just want to get the fastest exit as possible. Good VC must be a good mentor, who back your team in areas they are lacking. So here is where Ji Pyeong backstory important. Having a VC who really want you and your startup succesful is very important. What happen to In Jae is a big clue here, if the investor have different goals, the CEO (with very small shares) can be kick out easily, heck even Steve Jobs were kicked out once. So a VC with a deep emotional attachment will surely wont kick out Dal Mi as CEO later.

• Like 9

Dalmi journey as ceo of samsan tech begin. This drama kinda felt real ,Not everyone can be a good ceo(steve jobs fired by apple or another founder company hired ceo because lack of understand how company works). Cant wait for next eps although dalmi knows about dosan lie.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Afxdy said:

Both were on the swing, they were much younger then. Remember before divorce, both sister get the same warm treatment from their dad (the same as music box gift and fried chicken tradition). I can imagine, dad would protect his two precious daughters the same way. Sandbox to protect them from the fall. An incubator space for startup weren't common in Dad's time. So I can imagine when Sandbox female ceo want to build an incubator, she was inspired to name it from Dal Mi's dad story. A desperate pitch, ideas ahead of it's time, an investment made, but tragedy striked, those somehow memorable for her.

Even though Dal mi's dad were not be able to start his business after finally a succesful pitch, somehow both his daughter get a sandbox to fall into when they begin their journey in startup world is very poetic. In jae who chose mum, get an advantage of good education (ivy leage I presume) and an opportunity to grow a company before. But I think Dal Mi who was presumed as underdog by choosing dad (and by default grandma), even though she didn't go to college, actually get big advantage. Dad always brainstormed ideas with her before his pitch, this will become valuable for her later. Also by choosing grandma, automatically she get Ji Pyoung on her side. Nam do san himself said, it is impoertant to have vc who really want you to succeed.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I’m kinda rooting for everyone in the drama. Even In Jae , though I don’t like how she treats her sister, I respect her work ethic and her dedication. She treats her employees well too and doesn’t freak out when things go bad, I just hope she doesn’t use this competition to spite her sister and focus too much on proving that she made the right choice.Like you do you, focus on winning and getting your company together, because I think that could be her weakness in the competition. There’s no negative force in this drama and all the conflict comes from the competition between the two sisters. I think both male leads are in the wrong for lying to her but it’s obvious who’s going to get her. Finally a kdrama that set the stage properly for second lead , because he really missed his chance and has little chance of getting her back. That’s realistic , unlike the usual formula where he meets her in the same time as the lead but loses out cuz , he’s second . This actually has a good reason behind why he does not get the girl. I don’t think this is about four people starting a business together, I think it’s about business and rivalries and how hard it’s to get it going. I would be pretty surprised if In Jae joins her though, because her key motive is to prove her mother and everyone that they’re wrong about her and winning against her sister.I think Do San and Dal Mi make a great team though.  I think Ji Pyeong is right, Do San doesn’t have what it takes to be a CEO cuz he lacks people skills. Being ceo is people skills.

• Like 9

Hello everybody.  What a delightful drama.  Usually it takes me 4 episodes to get a feel of a drama, this one is doing many things right.  @nrllee @taeunfighting @nona88 @40somethingahjumma @Gummi  @farawaylandplease check it out. :D

Let me just start by saying Kim Seon Ho is so charming, he needs to be first lead soon!  Ji Pyeong's orphan background shaped how he handled relationships.  Forced to grow up fast and fenced survival on his own, Ji Pyeong understood early in life that wealth and success command respect.  Unlike other teenagers, he has none of the youthful optimism that the world is your oysters.  He knows of the reality that life is hard and has no faith in luck as an orphan.  His talent in investing rooted in the discipline to pick the choices with the highest success rate.  He is a realist and he has to put himself first.  Ji Pyeong minimizes the chance of failures by not taking risks. He doesn't invest in start ups with no clear financial direction.  To him, avoiding risks not only guarantees success financially, it's rooted in him that he cannot afford the mistakes.  He doesn't have anyone to rely on.  This is why he will always play safe, why he has not confess his feelings to Dal mi.  I think this drama will be of Ji Pyeong learning to open his heart to taking risks and having confidence in recovering from failures.  Mistakes are the greatest teachers and this will challenge Ji Pyeong to have faith in human relationships again.  Believing in someone is more than just repaying a debt, it will open up his heart to the things he missed from isolating himself for success.  I totally love the go stop moment.  Ji Pyeong has no idea he missed having friends to laugh with.  

That said, the difference between Ji Pyeong and Do San, why I fell NJH's character touched me dearly is the potential of the evolution of his character.  And NJH is so very good here.  I love the quiet awkward insecure aura he projected for Do San who is a genius at things that are logical like math but has much to learn connecting with other people.   Like Ji Pyeong, he is good at things with a definitive solution, things that he can compute and solve logically.  There is the same lack of confidence in who he is, what he has outside of a smart mind... it was a beautiful moment when Do San asked Dal mi what she likes about him.  Although her answers showed little of what she knows about the real Do San, it made Do San question how he has lived his life up till now. As a person who has not projected that said life which deemed interesting and liked by others.  What I like about Do San is his resiliency and optimism in his computing skills despite having told face to face many times that his company will not succeed.  What made me love him more is the courage to listen Ji Pyeong's advice and reexamine his own personality with Dal Mi's answers to accept that he is not CEO material.  I think it's Do San's biggest strength. His humility and kindness to others.  And willingness to take risks as seen when he chose to give Dal mi his business card.   Do San is more trusting in nature so this difference may mark the tipping point between the two men for Dal mi.  Their handshake, unknown to both characters who clearly needed one another, was a reflection of their personality.  They are willing to take risks and place hope in each other based on a sliver of trust.  A lot can be said about the human experience of going through something together.   Whether DoSan and Dalmi are endgame, it's not really important for me.  I want to see how these four get to the end.

3 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

I am a firm believer on timing is everything. If it's meant to happen, it will, at the right time for the right reasons.

Yeah, I think so.  Part of it also is Ji Pyeong choosing to not rely on feelings when making decisions.  I also think he lacks a little courage when taking risks.  Both boys are not that great in human relationships but I see Do San not afraid to express his inadequacies about himself so people can share and relate to him more.  Ji Pyeong will learn to be vulnerable in front of others. He couldn't afford to because he has to project confidence as a VC nor is it something he can afford fighting his way in life.  We know it's a shield he projected for himself even though he can be considerate inside.  I am interested in how these two learn to be different from each other.  Do San needs to learn confidence from Ji Pyeong while JP needs to lower his guard a little to connect with others.

1 hour ago, ck1995 said:

Okay another theory - but what if initially it was Injae that fell off the swing and got hurt - but since mum told her to never go on the swing, she did as she was told and it was actually dalmi that came up iwth the sand idea. Eventhough her dad went through those lengths to put the sand there Injae was obedient to mum. Then dalmi inhaving faith in the sand he put there, was confident enough to test it per ep 1. This would be consistent with Injae's memory and the ep 1 memory. This could actually be a metaphor of the decisions each one made when their parents got divorced. Since then, injae mustve regretted things alot..? 

Yes.  I think so.  Injae was the dtr who fell initially but Dalmi is one who got back onto the swing.  I am not sure whose idea it was though.  I agree, Injae never had faith in her dad.  She experienced pain after the fall so failure to her was not something she wants to experience again so she chose to not repeat it.  She has seen her dad's business failures so chose her mom instead.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Madu Mita said:

Finally a kdrama that set the stage properly for second lead , because he really missed his chance and has little chance of getting her back. That’s realistic , unlike the usual formula where he meets her in the same time as the lead but loses out cuz , he’s second . This actually has a good reason behind why he does not get the girl. I don’t think this is about four people starting a business together, I think it’s about business and rivalries and how hard it’s to get it going. 

Private Life with Park Min Young and Kim Jae Wook comes to mind, the second lead met her first but missed the chance and it's only later when he realized his feelings just in time when main lead enters the picture.  Main leads are the accelerants/catalyst in propelling second leads to realize their feelings. lol I believe Suzy said in the interviews that the drama isn't peppered with romance so I think it safe to say that the second lead here isn't Ji Pyeong but the story's romance all together (if you get what I mean).  It's a story all about growth and development each the character will undergo after all.

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

Let me just start by saying Kim Seon Ho is so charming, he needs to be first lead soon!  Ji Pyeong's orphan background shaped how he handled relationships.  Forced to grow up fast and fenced survival on his own, Ji Pyeong understood early in life that wealth and success command respect.  Unlike other teenagers, he has none of the youthful optimism that the world is your oysters.  He knows of the reality that life is hard and has no faith in luck as an orphan.  His talent in investing rooted in the discipline to pick the choices with the highest success rate.  He is a realist and he has to put himself first.  Ji Pyeong minimizes the chance of failures by not taking risks. He doesn't invest in start ups with no clear financial direction.  

Ji Pyeong should be on Shark Tank (anybody here watches that show?).  All the sharks were savvy business men who are placing the stakes on budding enterprises or ideas but totally avoid risky ones- brilliant ideas but unfortunately lacked business structure and absurd pitches.  Also, wasn't Sun Ho lead in his previous dramas? Not sure if I got his interview right on this, but he said he accepted primarily because it's mostly centered on growth and he wants to work with the writers so I take it that the experience mattered to him way more that the role itself.

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

That said, the difference between Ji Pyeong and Do San, why I fell NJH's character touched me dearly is the potential of the evolution of his character.  And NJH is so very good here.  I love the quiet awkward insecure aura he projected for Do San who is a genius at things that are logical like math but has much to learn connecting with other people.   Like Ji Pyeong, he is good at things with a definitive solution, things that he can compute and solve logically.  There is the same lack of confidence in who he is, what he has outside of a smart mind... it was a beautiful moment when Do San asked Dal mi what she likes about him.

Agreed on all points.  Among Dosan's strengths I believe is his hands..they are BIG. You know what they say about guys having big hands......they have big.....gloves. LOL. :hwaiting2:Kidding aside, hands are metaphors for a person's capability and potential.  He has it, but I agree, he has to find it and tap into it.  I think he's getting there, he seemed like he's taking all these in: Ji Pyeong's TED talks as constructive criticism.  They all have a thing or two to learn from each other.  Seriously this drama is making me all giddy, please don't let me down. (Trying not to be Do San's parents and setting too high of an expectation lol)

Also I like it that he did see how Dalmi is different from her sister.  In Jae is has more acumen than Dalmi yet he chose her because she has a more receptive mindset and willing work with him than work above him.  I think in a way, In Jae is similar to Ji Pyeong, they want to be "in control" of everything, which sometimes an admirable attitude until it becomes a wall which makes it difficult to connect with people.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

@bedifferent don’t kill me but I find Suzy hard to take seriously.  And NJH fires for me only if the character suits him (like in Radiant).  I will wait a bit to see how everyone finds it.  Real life is busy these days especially moving into the silly season.  Thanks for the invite. :)

• Like 2

I was looking forward to this drama months before it started and still - it’s exceeded my expectations in everything. 4 episodes in and I’m in love. In love with the characters who are so diverse, in love with the story, directing and cinematography.

It’s so rare to like all four leads but I have to say I’m genuinely rooting for everyone in this story. 

I’m rooting for Dal Mi and Do San to realise their dreams, I’m rooting for Ji Pyeong to open his heart and surround himself with friends and family, I’m rooting for In Jae to fight for her worth, I’m rooting for the sisters and the mother to reconcile, etc.

Even though they’re going to be rivals in love, I hope Do San and Ji Pyeong won’t turn into enemies. I love their budding friendship and I might care about them more than the actual romance LOL.

• Like 7