[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

I can already picture a melancholic and bittersweet ending for DM and JP. At first she’ll be angry about how they all deceived her but when looking back at how those letters help her survive the most painful part of her life she’ll be feeling grateful however fake or made up those letters were.

I can already see in my head how DM is going to thank JP for all he’s done for her under the falling cherry blossom petals and that she’ll cherish him as her first love. Her heart will belong to someone else by then though.  

2-F013-ED0-1-CC7-43-DA-ADE1-F79-DF5-BFE2

• Like 5
  • Love 3

By looking at this drama poster and their promotional videos and pictures, i could guess it will be no love relationship ending for DM and JP, perhaps it turn into a soulmate or mentor-mentee relationship?  Alternatively, it could be a noble ending. Even if DM found out the truth, she would be full of gratefulness, but JP would still maintain his tall image by mentoring and helping them to grow their company in Sandbox, even though it is meant for sacrificing his own happiness. JP would realise that DS has exhibited a great potential along the way, (not just because of the feeling for DM and the promise for granny) as a venture capitalist, he would certainly assess the potential vs. the risks to invest his time and effort to help DS and his team including the new CEO DM.

Sometimes, giving up our love one does not mean we are loser, but it will help us gain back other kind of victory, such as a good friendship and self-fulfillment if we step back and look at another angle.

For JP, i would like to see this character develop into a self-fulfillment state because of his current status as rich and successful venture capitalist (although he is not perfect yet, he still has his own weaknesses), helping the start up company (part of it came from the promise to granny) is a kind of self-achievement and self-growth (in terms of emotional) too. I hope the writer can make the story into a noble and meaningful ending for all the 4 main characters (DS, DM, JP, IJ) with all their self-growth and self-fulfillment.

Go Go Go !!!

• Like 5

The character whose story touches me most is Ji Pyeong’s. He is so lonely even though he is successful and rich, and his yearning for a family really gets to me. I wished that he will find his tribe at the end of the story. However, I do not ship him and Dalmi. She feels too young for him, and I hope he gets someone more mature like In Jae. 

• Like 3

This was another heartbreaking episode for han ji pyeong shippers. I just hope he gets a happy ending with grandma adopting him or something in the end. Hopefully he doesnt end up alone. 

Also im starting to think that dalmis "good decision" and injae's "bad decision" will be established with everyone realising that the former is the girl on the swings. 

also those MIT developer guys are fishy - maybe nam do san helped him get in or something cos he felt bad that he was overachieving...? 

• Like 4

Wow, another good episode. it seems like Samsan tech have 2 major supporters, HJP and Alex. Maybe the gold medal NDS gave up 15 years ago was for Alex, and he is repaying him right now. not to mention he knows NDS true potential. The lost to Injae AI just unlocks that potential.

I thought the second secret will be exposed in this episode. not yet huh.

Cant wait for tomorrow's episode.

• Like 4

Another good eps

1. do san is very smart but very timid person. Maybe dal mi can change him.

2. this drama comes from good research,i mean the tech maybe can be real research

3. Second lead syndrome hit again,well it always be and always will.

4. Cute interaction between dalmi and dosan,their height difference is very big so dalmi is so small beside him.

• Like 6

I’m firmly on the NDS train! So from what his parents have said about him. DS has always been content with letting others “beat him” and go ahead. To the detriment of his own ability. He purposely lost out so he wouldn’t stand ahead out of others. He even gave away his gold medal because he’s a huge softie and didn’t want to see the other guy get berated by his parents. I think for the very first time we see DS actually get competitive and it’s over dalmi. Something about her has triggered a change in him and he’s now willing to step out of his comfort zone and become something for her. Not only that, he has become dalmis support person and believes in her, when others have been looking down on her. This is why DS is the male lead and will get the girl in the end!

• Like 5
  • Love 4

I hate Injae so much to the point that i cried last night! She such a shameless n evil character. I thought she wants to be independenly successful, yet she get into sandbox, stole other team’s idea... wuttt??? And why her dad is there being as one of the judges?? :Furious:

there is no right or wrong desicion when choosing who you wanted to stay with. They choose mom/dad base on what they wanted/needed at that time. She should stop trying to prove that Dalmi made a wrong decision. Why, gurl?? Why you even bother to do that? 

and Han Ji Pyeong, i pity him for not getting the girl. But he made it that way. 

Tbh, i want Dalmi to know the truth soon. I hope Do San will tell her about the letter asap. There’s no point keep it as secret, he better tell the truth and built up their relationship again... as real nam do san. 

i like alex. I’m very curious about him. Where he came from, why is he here. 

• Like 4

I loved it. Another wonderful, heartwarming episode.

I don't know who the endgame will be regarding romance, but they are both such strong contenders! I really love them both.

I don't know why In-Jae is such a witch to her sister, but I think we're getting some clues. It was interesting to see her freeze up when she saw her step-father. She had the advantages of wealth, but she apparently didn't have an easy time growing up either. So I find myself rooting for her to succeed on her own terms, too. But obviously, not at the expense of Dal-Mi and our sweetie Do-San.

This show has my heart. It's a good, old-fashioned scrappy success story. That tear that fell from Ji-Pyeong's face after he talked to Grandma, and that way he whipped his face away from her so she wouldn't see him crying. That broken pen on the ground that Alex found. I mean... so cornball, but it is 100% working for me.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, ck1995 said:

This was another heartbreaking episode for han ji pyeong shippers. I just hope he gets a happy ending with grandma adopting him or something in the end. Hopefully he doesnt end up alone. 

Honestly up to now I still don't see Jipyeong has any romantic notions towards Dalmi. Maybe he is still in the self discovery mode, but till episode 5, I still feel whatever her did for Dalmi is because of Grandma. Especially when he realised Dalmi was a candidate in Sandbox too, he back off & told his assistant to replace him. Then he overheard Grandma & Mom conversation abt the sacrifice Dalmi made, giving up the university, so she can work & eased Grandma's burden. Jipyeong felt so bad, because he feels he somewhat stole the money from Grandma tho she emphasised many times she doesn't want the money that doesn't belong to her, and she has never have any anger or hatred for Jipyeong. Infact she care for him as much as he is her own grandson. So it seems like all Jipyeong actions towards Dalmi until now is between his guilt & gratitude. Maybe his feeling starts stirring to feel something more after seeing that big hug between Dosan & Dalmi, but he has miss his chances with Dalmi. However I still hope they will bond as big brother kid sister kind of thing. Just like Injae got a big brother when she choose Mom, thru her marriage with stepdad, Dalmi too has a big brother figure when she choose Dad, which she got thru Grandma's kindness

1 hour ago, chickfactor said:

I don't know why In-Jae is such a witch to her sister, but I think we're getting some clues. It was interesting to see her freeze up when she saw her step-father. She had the advantages of wealth, but she apparently didn't have an easy time growing up either. So I find myself rooting for her to succeed on her own terms, too. But obviously, not at the expense of Dal-Mi and our sweetie Do-San.

The more I feel she's regretting choosing their self-centered mom, which is she insisted on Dalmi's failures & unhappiness to make her feels better.

She even wrote about her father in the application form, when she keeps telling Dalmi off for choosing their loser Dad. Why did she? Obviously she's regretting choosing mom because even if Dalmi is poor & not having good education background like her, she still have warm people around her. And good looking, maths genius still choose Dalmi over her, not to mention the real successful investment company's ceo keeps hovering around Dalmi too. 

• Like 2

here my some thoughts

1. In jae still want to prove something that her choice is not wrong,so she entered sand box although it seems she kinda dissapointed when his step father step up as panel judge to both team.

2. Sorry to offend han jin pyeong supporter,but hes kinda lack in terms of shares his emotions and feeling. from child until adult hes always been like there. hes good businessman but thats it. At first grandma tell him to revealed he is nam do san,the one that write the letter,but but when both sides asked why they do that, only real nam do san said he likes dal mi.

also The image that dal mi potrays about nam do san from a child to adult by a letter for the first time is geek nam do san,not han ji pyeong. and thats makes dalmi happy.

• Like 3

I am so torn. I feel like I have second lead syndrome. I feel like HJP has more of a story with DM. I understand that the letters were written in conjunction with gma, but there were some clips where it looked like he wrote it himself (like his bday wish so I feel there was some truth to his letters). perhaps there was no romantic feelings on his end, but his words comforted DM.

I don't really see a connection with DS and DM just yet. I feel like when he got upset DM didn't like him for who he was, I couldn't relate. I mean, come on, you're portraying that you are the young DS so what do you expect from her? I think there hasn't been too much depth for me for the DS-DM just yet, whereas PJY and DM's story unfolds so well for me.

In the latest episode though, I do struggle because I love HJP with DM way more, but in some instances, I feel like his care and help for her was for the sake of his debt to grandma. I'm not sure - I feel torn. I feel that he has good feelings about her, but maybe not romantic just yet. I think he is curious - maybe curious of how his old pen pal turned out. But I will have to say, I kind of wished HJP was the main lead. I think that as he learns more about her and helps her, that they would end up together. Too bad the main lead is DS. I'm just not on board with their relationship yet. I don't know if it's his personality or what, but their story isn't as romantic and doesn't have as much depth for me just yet.

• Like 5

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since i want to write passionately about K-drama.

I never liked / attracted to NJH (just know him but never watched his dramas) but started to get interested when i see a clip NDS said he never got texts from a girl lmao. Also the clip when DM and DS met in bookstore lol. So yesss came to see Nam Joo Hyuk and Suzy's characters.

TL;DR It's tooooo long so I put in spoiler. 

Spoiler

The Background

Never expected it started with HJP POV. Yes it's tearjerking ep, i can't. I kept watching and crying much in episode 1.

I discovered so many irrational things after finishing the ep, from others' comments

Can't cry as much in what they called super sad jpn movie Le* Me Ea* *our Pancre*s since there were so many illogical things :p . But in this drama i can still enjoy it despite the holes. 

It's weird to see how the sisters fought each other like that when they looked so lovely each other. In their younger days maybe they already had potential of how different their values were and lead to competition? Who knows. The back stories before they parents divorced in episode 1 was short too see that, except how big sis commented abt the socks DM wore (?). And adult version, their meeting, the big sis pointed at DM's old shoes   

I'm still considering when young HJP came near to the shop and went. I thought he had a feeling for the big sis (the scene after the big sis rejected a boy). As i remember she looked at him and dragged her sister to run). 

But it appeared that it's for their father and HJP only hesitated to buy the food with his money.  

I came to see NJH character and he finally appeared at the end? 

The Adult Stories

I really root for NDS character development. He's such a softie. Idk if he really needed a girl for that moment but yeah DM's appearance  changed him. He suddenly became a "high-speeded  i don't wanna lose"- man lol. He's the one who finally had high determination not to tell the truth to DM. 

I kinda hate that "continuously lying" methods. The team really worked hard for that lol it's kinda silly. 

HJP with halmoeni's stories were so touching. Let me set my heart that i don't really need to pity him if he doesn't get the girl (at least now). 

He seemed so focused on his success because he really started from "zero" and lonely. Then he left halmoeni's family and never came back like that. The relationship with the grandma is way bigger for me.

But Halmoeni said if it for guilt and gratefulness, he should have come back since long ago. Then in episode 5 he cried knowing that DM couldn't finish her degree, and finally strengthen his decision to became her mentor. Is it because of guilt gets bigger and her love for DM begins clearer?

Maybe i'd change when they really show he really felt about DM. When he wrote letters to her and read her letters maybe he's also attached and yeah he realized it a bit late. He still collected the letters, right? Like how? He moved out, getting in college, being a successful CEO and still collect the letters. Uwu. 

I try not to think about who ends up with who cause i don't want any of them to break my heart lol.

My denial thought still thinks HJP was more like a brother or father figure to DM (nope, father is too far, sorry ). He scolded everybody like a father lol. He's like a grandson to halmoeni. Maybe acted as DM's cousin?

Deep in my heart i want DS ends up with DM. But in this progression it's still weird to me to see that vision. Seeing them succeed is more interesting than a romance story.

Knowing how he's really a soft boy in ep 5 epilogue. that kid who won the medals and gave to other kid. Honestly, I think that kid also had material to be famous and, attracted many young kids like little DM lol. Like, in my country now, it gives the viral value :  "A kid Has A Big Heart, He Won A Medal and Give It Up to Other"

add: I almost cried when he finally admited that DM's is the CEO and do better presentation. Finally he congratulated her.  

The Connection

Somebody in twt asked if DM would recognize HJP's handletters. And their presentation was about checking handletters too. This drama really connect things. 

Like how DM said what she likes about DS was his hands. Yeah in this drama, his hands would make big change (?) I saw the BTS when they shot NJH typing with keyboard, and his shoulders were so wide for the smol keyboard. So cute.

I dunno who Alex was. Somebody in twt mentioned he's maybe the competitor who got the medal from DS.

Sorry i'm not an english speaker. Pardon my mistakes 

Edit: 

Ugh still many thoughts for them. Ok i'll stop here. When DM and DS Saw each other for the first time, i got the vibes like 'see, this is how your parents met' lol. Episode 5 was more like work-partner relationship. They still have long way to go to reach everything, love or career, but idk i sense story of parents first met and built career from the bottom (uhm lol maybe because of 18 again) 

the old kdramas usually have main lead and main female lead hated each other first, but in this one they really attract each other. 

Edited by flameonyou
Spoiler tag, adding content, grammar mistake
  • Like 2