Event: Dramas that resulted in K-Traumas

Sleepy Owl

Dramas that resulted in K-Traumas  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which Kdrama gave you K-Trauma? (Choose as many as you want)

• Vagabond
    • Mouse
    • Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol
    • Heartbeat
    • Duty After School
    • Snowdrop
    • Memories of Alhambra
    • Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce)
    • Penthouse
    • Adamas
    • The Third Charm
    • Gu Family Book
    • A Korean Odyssey
    • The Last Empress
    • Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
    • Twenty Five, Twenty One
    • Uncontrollably Fond
    • Squid Game
    • Remember: War of the Son
    • None of the Above/Something else (Please Mention)
  2. 2. Which Kdrama gave you K-Trauma? (Choose as many as you want)

3. 3. Which Kdrama gave you K-Trauma? (Choose as many as you want)

• Something Happened in Bali
    • Sisyphus: The Myth
    • Jirisan
    • Blind
    • Children of Nobody
    • The Smile Has Left Your Eyes
    • Hi Bye, Mama
    • My Mister
    • D.P.
    • A Promise with Gods
    • Death's Game
    • It's Okay to Not Be Okay
    • Extracurricular
    • A Stairway to Heaven
    • Pyramid Game
    • Worst of Evil
    • None of the Above/Something else (Please Mention)
    • Alice

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/28/2024 at 02:00 PM

5 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I really loved this drama, it was a fresh concept, and I was enjoying it, until they kinda went off trail in the final few eps, and ended it that way :isannoyed:

Now this one, I got to admit, it just exceeded my expectations when it came to storyline, while I hoped things would get better for the ML, things just continued to escalate violently and then we got that ending :sweats:

This surely was a beautiful drama, but as I said earlier, its just that the ending was so sad. I still feel sad for the FL while thinking about its ending :cries:

@Sleepy Owl  Same here, dear for "Memories of Alhambra". The concept is really good, the execution was bad. The drama starts off very strong but somewhere after the 6th episode it becomes very draggy. The writer surely aimed for a happy end, it just that..........   :headbang:   For "Strangers from Hell", the storyline is utterly fantastic!  The drama was a whole new world experience for me. Violence and creepiness is all over the show and the way it is filmed is sadistic.   :fear:      For "49 Days", it was a sad drama indeed! But, this is a drama that has, and will forever, teach me about life and how grateful I should be of each day.   :cutekitty:

• Blob 3

11 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

@Sleepy OwlThanks for the tag 🫡

I don't think I need to explain much as most of the viewers already expressed their opinions here.

Below are the stories and plot lines with loose end and do not have a proper ending in my opinion :

• Rugal
  • Heartbeat - drop half way, wasting time
  • Vagabond - hanging there with no proper ending
  • A Stairway to Heaven - It really frustrates me when the evil lady is always in control and the good guy (the male lead) is always the victim. I will not spend time to rewatch this old drama. Slow pace and illogical plot. 

• Strangers from Hell - always had an eerie feel while watching
  • The Guest - got nightmare after finishing watching it

Below are some of the good kdrama (not in ranking order) that I will always remember after watching them:

1. My Mister
  2. It's Okay to Not Be Okay
  3. Remember: War of the Son
  4. Reborn Rich
  5. Move to Heaven
  6. Death's Game
  7. Beyond evil (you missed out this good drama in the list)
  8. Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce)
  9. Squid Game (although violence)

@lebeaucouple  "Rugal" had a really poor ending. Most of the fight scenes were totally unbelievable. So, I forgot the ending and just remember Choi Jin Hyuk -  :Megalol:    I somehow agree with you about "Stairway to Heaven" - the drama had its usual flaws like slow at times but, steady for a purpose.  How I love the OST! And I loved Kwon Sang Woo's acting here, biased aside. I loved the plot - It allowed me to feel and appreciate time as the ultimate gift life and love has to offer.....  :kicks:   "It's Okay To Not Be Okay" was not only a good drama but, an excellent one for me. The story is coming along sensibly.  :heart4:   "Reborn Rich is also good - It's very much a critique of chaebol culture in some ways, but they make it quite entertaining.  :cheers:

• Love 1
  • Blob 3

8 hours ago, willenette said:

I somehow agree with you about "Stairway to Heaven" - the drama had its usual flaws like slow at times but, steady for a purpose.  How I love the OST! And I loved Kwon Sang Woo's acting here, biased aside.

"It's Okay To Not Be Okay" was not only a good drama but, an excellent one for me. 

Me too, I love the OST too except the storyline that I couldn't stand it.

In old days, there were often the plots with a hidden secret or misunderstanding between the leads and took so long to discover and reveal it because the evil person was behind it, and the cry baby Kwon Sang Woo was often the victim in the story, plotline was draggy and repetitive. It did not give me a positive and sensible feel except frustration only. Sorry this is not my cup of tea, same for "Happened in Bali".

For "It's Okay To Not Be Okay" - it has inspiring and encouraging feeling at the end of the EP, with the autistic brother slowly developed him into an independent person at the end, it was wonderful and meaningful script. I would praise the whole cast and the writer for that. Kim Soo-hyun  is always smart in choosing the drama.

@Sleepy Owl - I would praise you for watching 3 times for  "The Guest" you are brave...🫡🫣. I don't think I will rewatch it.

"Strangers from Hell" - although it had an eerie feel, if there is season 2, I wouldn't mind continue watching it. 😄

@partyon @Sleepy Owl- there are three ongoing thriller and suspense drama, I will recommend you to watch :

The 8 Show - thriller storyline but very violence drama, only 8 EP. (Similar to Squid Game) you can watch it as the meaning of the message is the key.

Uncle Samsik - Just reading the synopsis, one might think that this is a drama about the growth and struggle of passionate young people, but in fact it is not that simple. The feeling of watching these early 7 episodes of "Uncle Against Poverty" is a comparison of stories of "human nature manipulation", trust and suspicion, with politics as the background.  The main character, Uncle Samshi, is a strategist who is both good and evil. He can handle the interests of business and politics with ease and manipulate human nature and power. In the early stage, It's not a fast-paced drama, but it has a lot of characters, so DisneyPlus is really smart to release five episodes at once and later another two more for the following week. The relationship between the characters is also very clear. After the third episode, you won't feel the passage of time as the mission progresses smoothly. In addition, it’s so cool to watch these actors and actresses acting. Song Kang-ho, who is a veteran of the movie industry, Byun Yo-han, who has been in the movie industry in recent years. The people are all evolved to the core, and they are all very sparky. Overall, it is not bloody or exaggerated. It is profound and I really like this kind of thick and dark study of human nature. I hope you can follow this drama too.

Connection - full of Thriller and suspense, I watched only first 2 EP, fast pace storyline.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

5 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Connection - full of Thriller and suspense, I watched only first 2 EP, fast pace storyline.

I am planning on watching the first 2 episodes today. Thanks for the other recommendations :dorashakes:

• Like 3
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, willenette said:

For "Strangers from Hell", the storyline is utterly fantastic!  The drama was a whole new world experience for me. Violence and creepiness is all over the show and the way it is filmed is sadistic.

What made this drama special was that this was too dark for a Kdrama, and continued to get darker. It wasn't like a typical Kdrama where you would know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. This drama was just a never ending tunnel in that sense. It remained true to its theme until the very end :sweats:

16 hours ago, willenette said:

@lebeaucouple  "Rugal" had a really poor ending. Most of the fight scenes were totally unbelievable. So, I forgot the ending and just remember Choi Jin Hyuk

For me, Rugal had a poor script overall, and not just its ending :isannoyed:

17 hours ago, willenette said:

@Sleepy Owl  Same here, dear for "Memories of Alhambra". The concept is really good, the execution was bad. The drama starts off very strong but somewhere after the 6th episode it becomes very draggy. The writer surely aimed for a happy end, it just that..........

This I agree, it started to become draggy from 6th - 8th episode point, and also became kinda repetitive. But this had one of the strongest starts for me, I saw the first ep, and was already on board and excited for the episodes to come. That's how much I liked its concept :eats:

8 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

@partyon @Sleepy Owl- there are three ongoing thriller and suspense drama, I will recommend you to watch :

Thank You for the recommendations Chingu :heartxoxo:

I already watched "The 8 Show", it was good, but not on the level of Squid Game, but I liked what they actually wanted to portray about the society with the hidden messages there. 

Uncle Samsik, I wasn't really onboard with it, but will check it out since you seem to be liking it. :exercice:

Connection, I already had planned to watch, and will start it soon :wow1:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

What made this drama special was that this was too dark for a Kdrama, and continued to get darker. It wasn't like a typical Kdrama where you would know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. This drama was just a never ending tunnel in that sense. It remained true to its theme until the very end :sweats:

For me, Rugal had a poor script overall, and not just its ending :isannoyed:

This I agree, it started to become draggy from 6th - 8th episode point, and also became kinda repetitive. But this had one of the strongest starts for me, I saw the first ep, and was already on board and excited for the episodes to come. That's how much I liked its concept :eats:\

Connection, I already had planned to watch, and will start it soon :wow1:

@Sleepy Owl  Yes, "Strangers from Hell" explores many themes including bullying and the internal battle between good and evil — But, one of the great things about the show is that it feels very real. It has no mystical element in it. It’s just that the show lacks a bit of presenting it correctly.  :kitty:   For "Rugal", yes, unfortunately, really bad writing completely ruins this show. The plot points were all there, but they are never connected. Scenes feel disjointed and unexplained ... Rugal had a lot of elements that could have made it a great show - an interesting premise, good actors, cool CGI, and just a fun super-hero vibe. But, the fight drags on forever.  :headbang:   Watch "Connection", it's good so far.  :kicks:

14 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

For "It's Okay To Not Be Okay" - it has inspiring and encouraging feeling at the end of the EP, with the autistic brother slowly developed him into an independent person at the end, it was wonderful and meaningful script. I would praise the whole cast and the writer for that. Kim Soo-hyun  is always smart in choosing the drama.

@lebeaucouple  He is indeed! I always say this. I prefer to see an actor who can play different roles than an actor who always play the same role in different dramas.  :heart4:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Obviously I only voted for the dramas I watched. There are many that I didn't end up watching, because I must have heard something about them and decided not to touch them, or simply because I wasn't interested with the plot.

But the one drama that immediately came up in my mind when I read the title of this event, surprisingly did not make it to the list. All other dramas been forgiven, but this one drama I honestly still feel sour even now (after one decade) about the ending. Anyone care to guess? One of the memorable scenes is the ML sitting on top of a car playing his guitar to a little girl. 

Spoiler

God's Gift - 14 days.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

The only thing these dramas have given me is trauma: "Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce)" and "The World of the Married." Ugh, I can't stand them! 😩

To the producers: "Give me back the precious time I wasted watching that trash!

The poll is now closed and we have our results!!! :piggydance:

The top 3 most Traumatic Kdramas were:

1. Vagabond, Memories of Alhambra, 49 Days, Sisyphus: The Myth - 7 Votes

giphy.gif

2. Heartbeat, Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce), Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, Something Happened in Bali - 6 Votes

2679259bc850303a8403ff916a1682b6.gif

3. Mouse, Twenty Five, Twenty One, Mother, Strangers from Hell, Reborn Rich - 5 Votes

tumblr_p350ou4hx21sdmcn4o3_540.gif

Thank You Chingus for participating, and we hope you enjoyed it :fullofhearts:

34f1d8973dfbbe0d4442102053c2317a.gif

Your Friendly Neighborhood and Resident EOs

@Sleepy Owl @partyon @agenth @confusedheart

Tagging:

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

On 5/26/2024 at 12:57 PM, Sleepy Owl said:

For me, Rugal had a poor script overall, and not just its ending 

Yeah, it has a poor script. I did not like it but it did not gave me trauma. I forgot everything about that drama. 😀

• LOL 2
  • Blob 3

8 hours ago, larus said:

Yeah, it has a poost script. I did not like it but it did not gave me trauma. I forgot everything about that drama. 😀

@larus same here, dear - :Twerkdatbutt:

11 hours ago, dareveggen said:

Blind is my one of fvrt ever 

@dareveggen  same here - You never guessed who was the serial killer. :kitty:

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

Actually Love feat Marriage and Divorce tops everything. I can't believe one episode contained 40 minutes of one couple arguing as they sat at the dinner table, with 0 movement.

Seems like not enough people watched Love 

Fire Plotting GIF by Studio Redfrog

• LOL 5

6 hours ago, agenth said:

Actually Love feat Marriage and Divorce tops everything. I can't believe one episode contained 40 minutes of one couple arguing as they sat at the dinner table, with 0 movement.

Seems like not enough people watched Love 

Yes, I noticed not many people like this drama and there was an intense argument in this drama chat forum. The event person in charge had to step in and stop their "argument" that involved few parties discussion. This was my first time seeing this and I found it interesting to view many different opinions on this marriage and affair topics. There is no right or wrong from the parties. Everyone has the right to express their opinion.

To be frank, about the couple that spent most of the time in arguing at the living/dining area, I was impressed on that scene with their serious argument, (except their zero movement 😄). Their conversations are valid, realistic, and relevant to most couples when having affair issue. Sad to say that, I had seen many cases proliferate in this way.

I couldn't say the overall story for this drama was prefect, it has many flaws too and it was a black comedy, but there was gist meaning to take away after the show. I hope audience do not just look at one single spectrum only, but try to view it both ends of the spectrum. Most importantly, women can choose the life they want to be after a failed marriage. Life is too short :) 

• LOL 4

1 hour ago, lebeaucouple said:

Yes, I noticed not many people like this drama and there was an intense argument in this drama chat forum. The event person in charge had to step in and stop their "argument" that involved few parties discussion.

The thread at that time :D

girl fight cmt GIF by Party Down South

Poor @ferily @liyahsbutterfly @gm4queen 

All EOs @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart @agenthwere watching the first and the second season too and we were like, huh? :D

Cat Fun GIF by Black Roses Playing Cards

1 hour ago, lebeaucouple said:

I couldn't say the overall story for this drama was prefect, it has many flaws too and it was a black comedy, but there was gist meaning to take away after the show.

Please enlighten us what the gist meaning to take away after the show was.... I dropped the show when the Nekkid Grandpa got too much screen time....

:sweats:

• LOL 5

Let's put aside the dark comedy for the ghost grandpa and the crazy mother in law, I will try to put in summary point below but will not go into little details for this drama series 1 , 2 and 3.

Story surrounding 3 Married couples at 30s, 40s and 50s met with Extramarital affairs.

The main problems surfaced due to  :

1. Lack of communication for the 30s couple 

2. Lack of understanding the "need" in the relationship for 40s couple  

3. Lack of Intimacy for the 50s couple

A smart woman who wish to stay on the marriage, she will let the husband to play the "important role" at home instead of "useless" one. She will let the husband does the cooking and cleaning at times and praise him often in front of the family members. Let him know that he is so capable at home and at work and the whole family including children need him often, nothing to look elsewhere but home. The key is the choice of right words and tone used by the wife, whether it is a commanding attitude or a polite attitude. Sometimes, we as women, must learn to be smart at situational cases, and need not to be capable at all times.

Why the 40s couple went wrong when the wife was almost perfect. She was so capable at home but she missed out the "need" in their relationship. When the husband came home, he realised the wife was so capable that everything had been taken care of, nothing that needed him to worry about. However, in this drama, the 40s husband had an affair was because he realised the younger girl on the plane whom he met needed him more than he was at home.

Men and women want attractive spouses, and when one or the other gains a significant amount of weight or the face looks older over the years, it can be a real turn-off to some couples when the physical appearance are not the same anymore. For 50s wife, she sacrificed alot for her husband and children but the husband only cared about the women outside who was dressing up more elegantly and beautifully. Growing apart in the marriage due to changes in their spouse’s physical appearance may sound shallow, superficial, and unfair. But it can be part of the real reasons why marriages end.

Lesson learnt for all of us :

1. Needs - Whether in an intimate relationship or in an emotional or physical state, the desire for needs is very important in a relationship and must convey out to your spouse frequently. If the clear message is not sent across to your spouse, the needs is not being addressed it properly, one party will feel neglected.

2. Change is inevitable. Change is necessary. And in many cases, change is healthy. But in some cases, change means the possibility of drifting away. We no longer share the same vision for our day-to-day living or our future. We no longer share the same passions that we once did. Eg. for the 30s, 40s and 50s couples. Therefore, an open and honest communication is key for the couples to discuss for any changes to a level of compromise.

3. Choices - In any marriage, both men and women have their rights to choose the life they want after a failed marriage instead of staying in a miserable marriage, because the era has changed. In olden days, many couples would stay on their marriage, while in modern days, most couples will choose divorce even with their children, as some grown up teenages had even encouraged their parents go separate way, of course that also depending on the age of their children, financial matter, cultural and religions context at that point of time. In this drama, all the 3 female leads chose to walk out from their failed marriage and enjoyed their life thereafter.

Again, this drama has a lot of flaws, and I can’t say that the writers did a good job with the plot, but the dialogue between the couple is still interesting. This divorce drama is not encouraging women to get divorce or put it as simple as like watching ghost grandpa and made us have a good laugh, the profound meaning behind triggers us to have a deeper thoughts and reflection :) 

• Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

On 6/2/2024 at 3:52 AM, lebeaucouple said:

1. Lack of communication for the 30s couple 

Hopefully not causing another thread war here, but I think that the bigger reason for the 30s couple was the complete lack of boundaries. The husband let his wife totally steamroll him and grew to resent her as time passed. She overstepped his boundaries time after time, and he let her. No wonder the marriage was doomed.

That's why it's so important for both parties to set boundaries from the start of the relationship.

Sometimes, we as women, must learn to be smart at situational cases, and need not to be capable at all times.

I would disagree with this. Again hoping I'm not starting a thread war here. :D A man who has a healthy self-esteem and is confident will not feel threatened by a capable woman.

Growing apart in the marriage due to changes in their spouse’s physical appearance may sound shallow, superficial, and unfair. But it can be part of the real reasons why marriages end.

Agree with this if a relationship isn't healthy. Being attracted to your partner is so much more than physical appearances. True, healthy and deep love will transcend outer appearances because the emotional gratification is so much stronger when being physical with each other.

For me the 50s marriage ended more because of the fact that they had already checked out of their marriage emotionally. Hence the lack of intimacy. The 50s wife had sacrificed too much and didn't feel emotionally attached to her husband anymore. In my view, the couple parted ways because of emotional detachment - which then resulted in lack of intimacy.

Not sure if I'm making sense? :)

• Blob 2

Hi dear, no problem. welcome for your difference in perspective. :) 

On 6/2/2024 at 8:52 AM, lebeaucouple said:

Sometimes, we as women, must learn to be smart at situational cases, and need not to be capable at all times.

Let me elaborate more for my point of view:

A Smart woman that I refer to who has improved their mind and emotions through learning and practicing over the years, and she is able to think before acting and speaking in the right manner (e.g. using the right words & right tones) and when to keep silence or compromise when the situation arrives so as not to offend anyone in the family or at the workplace. This applies to the husband too. It's more like practising our EQ, not IQ.  E.g. If the husband or wife comes back home after work with a tiring face, but their spouse is not smart enough to observe that and continues to raise their voices either to complain or argue over a matter at the dining table in front of the children or grandparents, what would you think, would there be a more intense situation with a stressful look. This can also apply in the workplace.

I've learned from a mentor over the years that a smart woman knows when is the right situation to speak or act in, e.g. manage her own emotions in positive ways to communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome challenges and defuse conflict, and all these take time to learn and practice. We don't always need to be a winner in the situation because of our high capabilities traits (whether at home or in the workplace), but rather learn to compromise or take a step back because eventually you may be a winner, as you have earned their respect from the start because of your high EQ. :) 

BTW, is there a forum for Kdrama "Connection" which I enjoyed it at the moment? Thanks :) 

• Blob 2

11 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

BTW, is there a forum for Kdrama "Connection" which I enjoyed it at the moment? Thanks :) 

Hmmmm..... I think there should be? @larus didn't you create it?

EDIT: Found it!

• Love 2