[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

@CarolynH and to top that off, the ministers’ reaction were even funnier when Daejang kissed her! :joy: man, i loved Faith! LMH playing Daejang was perfect and him playing the King now is perfect too! 

@bebebisous33 oo new post! Will definitely read and give my thoughts! Thanks for tagging @2handsintertwined. I think she will like to read more about LR and will come to know your insights :D

@2handsintertwined no problem chingu! If you want to know more about the uncle and his thoughts, you can read the post that was tagged to you. It is very insightful! ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 5

10 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

+ @rcresh

I would love to see your theory in practise but i believe that what @madmad min makes sense practically except i differ with regard to the above.

The LR team (pregnant lady/ man in the stable etc etc) are travelling far too easily. We do nit know if there are multiple gates or one and are people really travelling one by one as LG takes JTE or JY or enmass.

I still dont get how the 2G phone works in this context. So yes, flute mught call out to some but the movement of people may not be as restricted. Yet i could be wrong.

I saw someone post a gif about the entry scene where they show that there is more than one gate and probably multiple gates but so far we have only seen one gate which is normally used by Lee Gon. 

It would be logistically nightmare for Lee Rim to pass thru that one especially moving people back and forth because it's located in the backyard of the kings palace

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Heretorant said:

Lmfao I cannot believe you just quoted Joey Tribiani!! Hahahaha. Did you know next to The King, I can watch Friends all day every day? :lol::lol::lol:

I think the writer hands the script over and the actors get to discuss how they think the kiss should be: deep, passionate, innocent, with or without tongue. Lol. Unless it’s literally written “a deep kiss.” In this case, if the kiss is not passionate, I think it’s lmh and kge. They probably thought it’s the most appropriate way to act this scene. But god, I’m impatient over here. I need something more! Please be more! 

Yes it's time that the king take the kiss and move it to the bedroom and make some baby Heirs and Spare as They are racing against time:kiss_wink:  Lol the thirst is real :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

I was wondering why this thread had a HOT label when it’s only Thursday morning here...

now I know :lol:

Aren’t the two standing a little too far away?! I think the only reason why they could reach each other is because he is like London bridge reaching over. keke. 

My expectations are very high and that, show, is not going to satisfy I’m afraid. :wub:

@bebebisous33 totally agree with your take on the boy with the yo-yo. I’ve been thinking about him and the one who caused TE to lose her ID - I thought they looked similar but didn’t connect those dots. His interaction with Luna was what made me suspicious that Luna might know something about the parallel world... and that she appeared briefly in front of TE, something must be at work. 
This deity at work reminded me of the grannies in Hotel del Luna. :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:
Spoiler

Now, I would like to analyse this taking because I do feel that the director wanted to outline something important.

In this scene, Lee Rim found out the identity of the guest at the palace, he sees JTE's ID as police officer. On the left you see the kid with the yoyo. We don't know the name of this boy but he has been shown in different scenes. He often appears in front of the book shop where Lee Rim can get info from the palace. Simultaneously, he was the one who made JTE lose her ID.

Here he appears, where the ID tag is revealed to the antagonist. It was as if the boy was following the ID from JTE. From my point of view, the boy with the yoyo could be a deity, the one who ensures that the balance is maintained. This is no coincidence that he is playing with the yoyo. Pay attention to the movement of this toy: it goes from one side to the other, you need to maintain a balance in the strength in order to keep the yoyo to come back and to keep rolling. The yoyo reflects this balance. And it was the same with the bike. You need to find the right equilibrium in order to ride a bike. The boy fell from the bike indicating that the balance has been shifted. 

Remember that I had mentioned that Lee Rim keeps looking down on children as he considers them powerless and even manipulable. But he forgets that a child is linked to innocence and purity which can be seen as strengths as well. The villain is not paying attention to the child as Lee Rim already thinks, he is a god hence strong ... yet he has not realized that Luna has already been working for this boy (deity).

In the beginning, I had thought that Luna had worked for Lee Rim therefore on Lee Rim's orders she was the one who lured Lee Gon to ROK but I was wrong. Lee Rim hasn't met her yet and he knew nothing about JTE as well. So fate, arranged by the deity,  was what brought Lee Gon to ROK. And this is no coincidence that Luna gives the rabbit jacket to the child. It was as if she was giving it back to the rightful owner. Fate was what brought Lee Gon to JTE and Luna was destined to have the jacket and meet the boy in the end. That's why JTE was able to see her doppelganger and the Prime Minister too. Both were getting warned. Furthermore, we shouldn't forget about the timing. JTE saw Luna right before Lee Gon and Goo Seo Ryung saw her doppelganger before Lee Rim approached her through the newspapers. Lee Rim is not aware that his fighting is pointless as he is fighting against fate. 

Now, let's go back to this taking. First, notice the similarities between these two rooms: both are full of books (a symbol for knowledge) and both people are put under a light underlining their power and importance. The first difference catching the attention of the beholder is the proportion of Lee Rim's room compared to the one with the boy's room. Lee Rim's room occupies a bigger part of the scene illustrating his actual power. IT looks like he is now more powerful than the boy. He has been working for 25 years and his labor has been fruitful. The other difference is that he is not alone. He has his minion by his side which shows that Lee Rim's power comes from his huge base of supporters.

The boy is on his own, however he is not quite defenseless... his actual "companion" is the yoyo. This toy represents fate and destiny as the string is often connected to a person's life. In other words, the boy has his own minions: LG, JTE and others whose fate is already predestined. JTE is well aware of her own situation hence she chose her destiny... I would even say that she embraced her destiny. We could interpret the shadows (the 4 lines) between the two rooms as a representation of the fight. The boy is fighting against Lee Rim so that Lee Rim's room doesn't eat up his "room". This would mean that Lee Rim had won and would control everything.

There is a disequilibrium reflected in this taking and the boy, a deity, is working to recreate the balance by using people... it's their destiny. Notice the contrast between Lee Rim and the boy. On both sides, people are asked to choose, yet Lee Rim lures them with temptations and desires for a better life but they are actually deceived, while JTE chose her destiny, although she is well aware that her love could be painful and short-lived. Lee Rim is just an idol, a false god living the illusion that he can take over two worlds, but his fight is pointless as he is limited by time. He might not age but his minions are not eternal and he can not time travel. 

@YongZura⁷ @sassylove@imels@mrsj3n @mamabear @Dramafreak @Guyangi_Dalpeongi @ktcjdrama

Very insightful!  I really enjoy your analysis @bebebisous33.  I hope you do not mind if I share a couple of things I observed:

1. The picture of the yo-yo boy is upright, the books are in order versus that of LR's which is stilted and some books are yet to be arranged. This may represent their worldview or their values and the resources that they have at their disposal.  Since we are regarding the yo-yo boy as some kind of deity or Fate, then "the story/ies" have been written, as represented by the arranged & tied up books. This is not the case with LR's.

2. Despite the darkness all around them, the surroundings of yo-yo boy is more illuminated than that of LR.  The latter's illumination is concentrated on where he is looking at which to me implies that he has a narrower appreciation of what is and what is to become.

39 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

man, i loved Faith! LMH playing Daejang was perfect and him playing the King now is perfect too! 

My username says it all haha

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
  • Insightful 1

31 minutes ago, Heilo said:

I saw someone post a gif about the entry scene where they show that there is more than one gate and probably multiple gates but so far we have only seen one gate which is normally used by Lee Gon. 

It would be logistically nightmare for Lee Rim to pass thru that one especially moving people back and forth because it's located in the backyard of the kings palace

Yes, I posted this earlier. This is from the opening credits. It seems to be another portal between the worlds. The other portal in the bamboo forest is guarded by the royal guards and cctv cameras, so Lee Rim might be using this instead.

wtAj6Ks.gif

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 4

First we got surprise kiss where our Taeeul wasn't even ready and now a goodbye kiss where their hands are not even touching each other.. why.. are their hands tired? <_< Are Lee Gon's hands tired because of writing that many math equations? Are Taeeul hands numb from punching and catching too many criminals? you need to make some use of hands.. grab the neck or back or face or any body part :P

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

10 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

I'm so late! I think this pandemic has changed a lot of our lives. I live in the U.S. So it's been hard. But I found King Eternal Monarch to watch. I'm watching the first episode! I believe this is my kind of drama. Why? I think it has some historical things about it. I always liked historical dramas like Moon Lovers. IU was in that. So I have never watched any of these actors. I have watched  Kim Go Eun. She's one of my favorite Asian actresses! So I can't wait to watch it. I hope you all accept me!  I will try to share my thoughts as best as I can. Sometimes I just read what all you beautiful people have to say! I can't wait to read your thoughts! I'm so excited!(Let me know if I become too much for some of you! :wub:)

Me: 

"I'm so excited!!!"

Hello @2handsintertwined, welcome to the thread. To help you on appreciating this drama even more, there are helpful links on the characters in the first page of this thread for easy reference. :)  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Now, let's go back to this taking. First, notice the similarities between these two rooms: both are full of books (a symbol for knowledge) and both people are put under a light underlining their power and importance. The first difference catching the attention of the beholder is the proportion of Lee Rim's room compared to the one with the boy's room. Lee Rim's room occupies a bigger part of the scene illustrating his actual power. IT looks like he is now more powerful than the boy. He has been working for 25 years and his labor has been fruitful. The other difference is that he is not alone. He has his minion by his side which shows that Lee Rim's power comes from his huge base of supporters.

The boy is on his own, however he is not quite defenseless... his actual "companion" is the yoyo. This toy represents fate and destiny as the string is often connected to a person's life. In other words, the boy has his own minions: LG, JTE and others whose fate is already predestined. JTE is well aware of her own situation hence she chose her destiny... I would even say that she embraced her destiny. We could interpret the shadows (the 4 lines) between the two rooms as a representation of the fight. The boy is fighting against Lee Rim so that Lee Rim's room doesn't eat up his "room". This would mean that Lee Rim had won and would control everything.

There is a disequilibrium reflected in this taking and the boy, a deity, is working to recreate the balance by using people... it's their destiny. Notice the contrast between Lee Rim and the boy. On both sides, people are asked to choose, yet Lee Rim lures them with temptations and desires for a better life but they are actually deceived, while JTE chose her destiny, although she is well aware that her love could be painful and short-lived. Lee Rim is just an idol, a false god living the illusion that he can take over two worlds, but his fight is pointless as he is limited by time. He might not age but his minions are not eternal and he can not time travel. 

Sorry to cut your post short and all, but this was a great analysis @bebebisous33 !!! Loved reading it and can't wait to read more about the scenes to come! :wub: I will definitely be paying more attention to the little boy from now on. 

and @Heretorant you make me laugh so much with your posts!! Love reading everything you have to say as well! 

:D

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I definitely agree with @syntyche about the second portal the LR probably uses. 

Edited by MairaA
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

56 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Very insightful!  I really enjoy your analysis @bebebisous33.  I hope you do not mind if I share a couple of things I observed:

1. The picture of the yo-yo boy is upright, the books are in order versus that of LR's which is stilted and some books are yet to be arranged. This may represent their worldview or their values and the resources that they have at their disposal.  Since we are regarding the yo-yo boy as some kind of deity or Fate, then "the story/ies" have been written, as represented by the arranged & tied up books. This is not the case with LR's.

2. Despite the darkness all around them, the surroundings of yo-yo boy is more illuminated than that of LR.  The latter's illumination is concentrated on where he is looking at which to me implies that he has a narrower appreciation of what is and what is to become.

My username says it all haha

Thanks a lot for your compliment and I really enjoyed reading your observations.:wub: You made me realize something else.

Notice the red string surrounding the piles of book... let just say that each red string is a life which means that each stack of books represents a person. IF we look at the way the stack of books are displayed, we can come to the conclusion that these people are connected to each other as the stack of books are touching each other. They are all relying on other stacks implying on other people. Furthermore, the color red is significant. Red symbolizes life and love. Love is what connects each person next to the child.

On the other side, in Lee Rim's book shop, the books are stored on shelves... If we assume that the row of books symbolize a person and as such a doppelganger lured by Lee Rim, we can see that the row of books are not connected to each other. Each life is separated by wood, Lee Rim is the one planning the shelves through his minions. The seduced doppelgangers are just pawns and are all relying on Lee Rim in the end. There is no red indicating no real life and love. Here the wood is associated to death (see e. g. coffin). Only order and purpose are what linked them to Lee Rim. The seduced doppelgangers are just pawns and are all relying on Lee Rim in the end.

So if you have any other observation, please let me know about it.:)

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

My prediction is that prince Lee Jong-in is also the baddie.. i keep getting suspicious whenever his scene comes. After watching kdramas it's always the old hags which are manipulating everything :crazy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

2 minutes ago, Chellsee said:

Awww...the video is restricted :(.

I notice lately SBS restrict videos. I wonder why. They didn't restrict the videos for TLE when it aired, in fact the TLE SBS clips and bts clips made me like the show more. Clips are good for promos. I noticed they also restricted Vagabond clips before, and now Eternal Monarch clips. Why SBS why? Sad. I wanna watch too. I have to wait until someone either uploads the clip on IG or reupload the full clip on YT :(.

SBS stop restriciting videos~~ huhuhu

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

23 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

Awww...the video is restricted :(.

I notice lately SBS restrict videos. I wonder why. They didn't restrict the videos for TLE when it aired, in fact the TLE SBS clips and bts clips made me like the show more. Clips are good for promos. I noticed they also restricted Vagabond clips before, and now Eternal Monarch clips. Why SBS why? Sad. I wanna watch too. I have to wait until someone either uploads the clip on IG or reupload the full clip on YT :(.

SBS stop restriciting videos~~ huhuhu

Hi @katakwasabi

Sad that SBS restricted YT videos in some countries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: Sorry video has been deleted due to copyright restriction. :bawling:
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Now, let's go back to this taking. First, notice the similarities between these two rooms:

Very insightful take as usual, my Dear Chingu! I’m always looking forward to your analysis! So, these are two SEPARATE book shops?? All the while I thought this boy was just loitering OUTSIDE the same bookshop, where LR has his minion as the bookshop owner and where SJ’s real Monarchy of Corea Mother (thé tea lady at the palace) drops off her messages? Whoa! 
That was why I was thrown off a bit in the beginning and I thought that the boy could be working (indirectly) for LR too. There was an episode (at the beginning, I think it was in Episode 2 or 3), where the boy actually had a brief encounter with SJ’s MOC Mother / Palace Tea Lady and the boy was looking sort of knowingly at her, and she kind of looked back at him in a sheepish and almost guilty manner ... it’s as though she was trying to remember something or found him familiar ...

Also, LR tempts and deceives his minions with a better life but little do they know that he will be in control of their lives once they decided to follow him, but they can still break free, if they go against him. I am wondering how many of his minions would turn against him in the end ... and the consequences of turning against him ...

The Yo-yo Boy Deity on the other hand, cannot lure or decide for people - people have to be willing to accept their own fates / destinies, in order to help him restore balance ... 

And it seems like there is already a foreshadowing... that JTE (in this timeline) has accepted her fate ... that her love with LG will be a short-lived one ... however, she doesn’t know that LG is the ETERNAL monarch ... so as long as she submits to her destiny, LG will always come back to her or will find a way (through Mathematics / God / balance / LOVE, a love that transcends Time and Worlds - that’s why I think LMH commented that this drama is a ‘fairy tale’ - almost all fairy-tales - in their modern and ‘white-washed’ forms have a happy ending - because they have to be positive and to appeal to children!) to be reunited with her eventually ... I am just wondering HOW in the world the production / directing team is going to wrap up all the plot points within 8 episodes!!

It looks like they would need a Season 2 - BUT I really hope they do not leave Season 1 dangling!! We NEED LG & JTE to be reunited and be MARRIED in Season 1, then perhaps LR and his minions are not completely eliminated in Season 1 and we can BERSAMBUNG (meaning CONTINUE) the story in Season 2 with LG & JTE working together (and people from MOC & ROK) working together too!

Edited by Guyangi_Dalpeongi
Content
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

50 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

@Chellsee

Where is my subtitles? Can someone sub this and release it here. WE NEED SUBTITLES it seems very constructed and insightsful video

I hope they release one with subtitles tho. But chellsee just posted the vid. 

Off-topic: 

I remember this hilarious incident that happened once on viki I think it was back 2016 or 15. I tuned in to watch a Wuxia it was highly anticipated but on viki they have different sub teams to take care of all the dramas airing. The Sub team that was in charge of that particular wuxia was called something like ''Team gone with the shirt'... What happened is that they were very late with there subs and sometimes they only subbed like 75% or little more than that main while the comment section was getting heated up. 

People asked ''Hey Sub team whats happening!'' first it started slowly but then it changed into riot and bashing the sub team to the point that the sub team had to intervene or atleast couple of them in the discussion which only made things get further out of hand and into war of words. One of the subbers was claiming innocence and citing hard work but it fell on deaf ears because alot of people wanted to watch it hence there was anticipation before it aired. Some of them even renamed them ''Team gone with the shiiixt'' 

As for me I originally came for the show but ended up staying for the comment section :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5