[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Just a thought : 

"LeeJiHyun (LG's doppelgänger ) is probably dead, because there was never an instance wherein LG  might possibly see him(LJH)  whenever LR crosses the portal. "

As to the saviors :   I am sure it's LMH (LG) : the walk like "leaning" on the left side since his Gu Jun Pyo until City Hunter days and the ultra long legs.  My prediction : LG+LG , the first one was  LG who 's more trained for combat and shooting , probably on his previous attempt to save  young LG he failed that's why he went back and did a rigid training in combat and become number 1 in his batallion , and the second one was the LG who came last on his batallion and regretted why he didn't take serious training which led to a failure on his attempt to save young LG. 

@syntyche thank you for answering my previous inquiry. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, Guyangi_Dalpeongi said:

The Yo-yo Boy Deity on the other hand, cannot lure or decide for people - people have to be willing to accept their own fates / destinies, in order to help him restore balance ... 

And it seems like there is already a foreshadowing... that JTE (in this timeline) has accepted her fate ... that her love with LG will be a short-lived one ... however, she doesn’t know that LG is the ETERNAL monarch ... so as long as she submits to her destiny, LG will always come back to her or will find a way (through Mathematics / God / balance / LOVE, a love that transcends Time and Worlds

@bebebisous33 @Guyangi_Dalpeongi Thanks for sharing your takes on yo-yo boy and the role he plays. I have thoroughly enjoyed your writing and takes from mythology, literature,  and religion viewpoint. @bebebisous33 your piece about LR, the making of another king, should be considered for spin-off of this drama!! 

On yo-yo boy, my take posted pages before was similar to yours in some way - yo-yo boy is a representation of god. In my view a grim reaper to be exact to retrieve Luna. In this round of time loop, which will end up differently from all previously rounds of time loops (King989?) is the existence of Luna in Corea. She was JTE, who should have been dead in last time loop before this one but not. Her existence ( I called her outlier from math viewpoint or a wrinkle)  interrupts all intended events that should have happened in this repeated timeline of each time loop. Therefore this time around, the loop will be broken and outcome of this timeline different. Every character has his/her purpose, some for comedy relief, some move story line, some is there to tell us writer's intent. The writer wouldn't create Luna, such intriguing character, without a significant purpose for the ending of this drama. I can't wait to see how Luna character plays out. 

• Like 13

@bebebisous33 lol, one of these days, I shall use a computer to type my thoughts to your posts instead of the small keyboard on my phone. Typing would be much faster haha. I read your post last night and should have replied right away. I had many thoughts when I was reading your post, and I jot it all down on paper only to realize I used a light colored pencil and couldn’t even make up the notes I wrote anymore when I woke up this morning so I had to recollect everything first :lol: :joy:

I am glad you brought up the boy and yo-yo connection. Honestly, the first time this boy really stuck out to me was the scene when LR was parallel to him and JTE’s=Luna’s doppelgänger was realized by LR. During that scene, I was mesmerized by the boy and his yoyo, simply because I suddenly thought that there is no way he is just an ordinary boy. He must yield a greater power than humans. He had this presence that was so ‘Godly’ that I took him as a deity, too. I also noticed that KES’s Goblin, she liked to use the color red to symbolize a higher meaning. It is no surprise that she would choose red strings and even red letterings (on the wall where the boy stood) to symbolize a deity’s presence. But what caught my attention more than the boy was the yo-yo. Noticed that the yo-yo is actually in a stance, called the Sleeper (back when I was a kid, I would call it Sleep and I also went back to look for this in the episode). This stance is actually the most basic and the first step to handling a yo-yo. If you cannot master the Sleep then a yo-yo just didn’t work as it should. This boy had already mastered the Sleeper stance. The sleeper stance is actually the balance between the line of staying on the ground and winding back up. One slight tug and the yo-yo will wind up. As long as this stance is mastered, it can be used to perform other tricks. One is “walk the dog.” I am wondering if this is what the Deity is doing. Is it the one walking LR, making him believe he is all mighty, only to tug him right back to a helpless state in the end. Is the Deity playing tricks here with LR, and the people involved? This I am not sure yet. One thing I am sure though: The Deity may actually be the manipulator of Time here. But what about the flute? I will say that if compared the yo-yo to the flute, the yo-yo’s balance is more important. I have also thought that someone/something else must be holding all this power of time. It could not be a simple object or a human. 

This yo-yo to me is the tool of Time for the boy. I  do think all this while, it was the Deity that manipulated time. LR thinks it’s the flute, that he has achieved a time essence because of it. In truth, the Deity is the one controlling it. I really like the parallel of the space you analyzed between the boy and LR. However, I think that the Deity’s space is more vast than LR. It is covered by books tied together in red strings. To me, the space of Time is greater in the hands of the boy. If we got rid of the books or imagine it wasn’t there, we can easily see that the boy is surrounded by the environment (empty space) which is much bigger than the building of books held by LR. I don’t even think the Deity is concerned about LR overstepping his boundaries. Just as the yo-yo is in a sleeping stance, it can easily be controlled with a tug. Right now, LR probably feels like the Sleeper stance. He thinks he has managed to maintain a balance as long as he exchanges the doppelgängers to his liking. But what he doesn’t expect is the tug that will wind him right back up. As you mentioned, LR believes he is a God. He doesn’t age. He can travel through both worlds. To him, it’s the best of both worlds. He doesn’t pay attention to children but often, a child’s eyes sees the truth. There was another scene when ES’s twin brother sees the scar on LR’s face. He is the only one who saw it and described it as “monster”. LR didn’t deny the fear in the child. He just simply said “you should be more careful.” Here, he is warning a child. But the boy with the yo-yo, I think, is warning LR hence the parallel of these two together, scene right after the next. The truth is there is someone or something higher than LR.

Also, another thing I wanted to point out. The boy is seen at the stand of newspapers and books. In the beginning, LR met his brother’s doppelgänger when bumping into him at the news stand when he first arrived in ROK. This surely was the first clash of both deity: the boy whose presence wasn’t seen yet and the fake one who realized he can actually try to become one by manipulating the situation. It is also interesting that this boy can be compared to the Three Sisters of Fate. But in this case, I think we only have one deity at work here. 

I also think it is interesting that the boy was reading King Arthur when Luna came. It brought me to the memory of the Four Tiger sword. You also mentioned this sword in one of your post too. Now, there was a scene where LG remembers his talk with his dad as a kid. The sword carries a huge responsibility for the one savior who will wield it. As far as I remember, King Arthur’s sword was the Excalibur. It was destined that whoever pulled the sword out of the stone was the true king. In ties to TKEM, LR was not even interested in the sword. His purpose was only the flute which supposingly controlled time. This is why I also think the boy (in deity form), towards LG, is like Merlin. But towards LR, it is showing its true deity self.

Truth be told, I only know about King Arthur very briefly :D and i was never good at playing yo-yo as a kid. The best thing i was able to do with it was wind it right down to the ground. Plop! I liked playing the spinner tops more. Way easier :joy: 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 5

@vangsweetie637 You are right that the deity with the yo-yo is more powerful than Lee Rim. Like I had mentioned it, Lee Rim is doomed to failure and he is mistaken thinking that he has become a god. When I described that the Lee Rim's realm had increased and the room of the deity was smaller, it was just a momentum, nothing more. The deity is definitely more powerful.

From my point of view, one of the major topics in this drama is faith versus science. The tale about "King Arthur" is revolving around Christianity and religion, another clue that faith has a significant part in this story. Right now, I won't elaborate any further because I have already planned to write more in detail in the next few days. So far, I've got the title "A world in numbers" and quite a few ideas but honestly, I need to watch some episodes again for that analysis. That's why it will take a little longer.

• Like 12
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2

5 hours ago, syntyche said:

(2) Their shoes are different. Below is the comparison of the sole of their shoes. In Savior #1's shoes (left hand side) the toe cap extends down to the sole (see red outline). Whereas in Savior #2's shoes (right hand side), there is a clear separation between the toe cap and the sole.

Identity of the Saviors:

Savior #2 is most likely Lee Gon. How the entrance of Savior #2 was played out, add to that the focus on young Lee Gon, gives the eerie feeling that adult Lee Gon is Savior #2. And of course, think City Hunter's silhouette.

Savior #1 is not Tae Eul. When Savior #1 used a guard as body shield, savior would have been a lot shorter in height if that was Tae Eul. So Savior#2 could be someone else - sharpshooter Shin Jae or royal guard captain Jo Young.   

YOU are the real MVP, ma friend! 

Now that I can analyze and compare the shoes next to each other, I can see the clear difference. I’d also like to point out there seems to be a detail on the mid-side of the first pair of shoes missing from the second pair of shoes. I’m sold, the shoes are different and no one can change my mind! Even the writer herself cannot change my mind! Even if the drama plays out to be one savior, it cannot change my mind! :lol:

If I take the drama for what it is, I will say SJ is the second savior. They keep throwing out hints to let us know SJ is a good shooter. Am I supposed to take it as it is and believe them? I want to believe them but a part of me thinks the second savior is JY. The way he moves and his skills are on another level. JY is slick and fast. His style is much more clean than SJ. Savior 1 matches JY’s style. I also think the silhouette of his face looks like JY. Here I am, faced with a dilemma. Do I trust the writer or do I believe they are tricking us? My eyes say it’s JY and my brain says it’s SJ. 

I’m going to leave off with, as I’ve said before, no matter how this scene plays out, I just know it’s going to be EPIC and mind blowing! This is my most anticipated scene next to LG and LR’s face off! This drama is so exciting! :D 

—————————————

@jangmi92_ I’m calling you out! I see you silently lurking and liking posts but never posting. I like your username and display photo :D 

• Like 20
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

@bebebisous33 i agree that this Deity is more powerful :D it makes me curious as to see exactly how LR will meet his doom. Remember to tag me when your new post comes up ;)

@syntyche I really want to see why some of you believe in the theory that there is two saviors but I cannot see some of the images :( it is probably my phone that is lagging. Actually, the details in the beginning move really fast so catching two saviors is pretty hard. 

If LG is ever going to use the Four Killing Tiger sword on LG, this is how sexy he is going to look doing it:

tumblr_na8gkciTOZ1ql66nmo2_500.gifv

:rolleyes:

@briseis hi chingu! Glad to see you and your posts on here too!! :D

• Like 15
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

8 hours ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Sweetbutters comin thru with this post. This is what makes this story truly unique because it has purpose and wants to chellenge the viewer intellectually and everything is lead to a certain point. Just like Lee Gon said You are my Zero and imo he didn't figure out how to use that zero just yet but once that occurs everything will come together as one puzzle piece

7 hours ago, Wis dom said:

Great piece 

@Heilo

Bitchesoverdramas? Do you happen to have a link to their blog? never read any kdrama blog before but there is first time for everything

8 hours ago, rcresh said:

I agree. Every detail, every conversation, and every interaction are important in this drama. Things seem loosely tied right now because the plot is leading us towards the ends of several threads (the POV of multiple characters) that will soon weave together intricately into a solid knot. And only then would we understand the significance of every scene that feels out-of-place in the moment. This is why I love time travel so much. Nothing makes sense until all the hidden meanings are revealed, and then you’ll be left marvelling at how interconnected every event was. I hope we will all get the chills from this amazing masterpiece once the drama ends.

@Joanna Alfson, @Wis dom, @rcresh Thanks you guys !  I had originally made a longer analysis on bitchesoverdrama blog, but I guess the owner didn't want to include it under the comments for some odd reason lol (so if you see a similar post on bitchesoverdrama, just know that person probably didn't want to include my analysis/comment because they wanted to use it themself lol). There were other things I had included about the whole symbolism of the rabbit and rabbit with clock and its significance. For example, in Alice In Wonderland, Alice initially doesn't follow the rabbit down the hole until she sees that it has a clock. So the rabbit itself represents a being,  but when it has a clock (representative of time; adding significance to the being) is what leads Alice to follow. Also in Alice in Wonderland, its mainly the white rabbit that helps Alice keep "time" by heralding to keep moving/following. 

TKEM should be watch as more of a big novel. Writer KES had gone to university to study creative writing so its not so far fetch to think she probably had studied a variety of both classical and modern literature. Therefore, she probably incorporated many aspects of classical and modern literature into her writing in her shows albeit there are some parts of TKEM that were written for entertainment purposes lol. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I previously discussed the yo-yo boy with a member here, but here's what I said on it:

The yo-yo boy I don't think can be connected to any of the characters in Alice in Wonderland per say, but I could be wrong. We at this point, don't know much about him except he (ROK version) does indeed set in motion some major events like JTE losing her ID tag. We dont know his role yet in KOC except that he hands Luna a set of keys. The object of the yo-yo itself could signify a loop like time loop since with a yo-yo what you do is loop a string over and over again between two disks. The the looping motion is controlled both by you and gravity. With gravity causing the string/disk to fall and you the being causing it to be rewound back. 

Some here how talked about how yo-yo boy is representative of fate and yes I can totally see that. However, the big question is, is it the boy or the yo-yo that you see? Much like how JY asked LG, "did you see the rabbit or clock", to which LG says "the rabbit WITH the clock". Some here have seen that the color of the string is of great importance since figuratively it represents the "red thread of fate". However, I think we should take into account the whole looping motion of a yo-yo. Collectively then, yoyo with red string would be representative that one can't escape one's fate since its an endless loop. This then brings up the whole philosophical dilemma, can you escape your own fate and whether there such a thing then such as "free will"? Additionally, combined with boy [being] and yo-yo, KES could essentially  be portraying the whole Greek mythology of the Three Fates [where one of them was in charge of cutting the "thread of life"- signifying death of person].

tumblr_me2l1npSzW1rr8j17o1_250.gif

It would be cool to see if all the sudden, the yo-yo string breaks [signifying the death of that person]ThereforeWHO does that string of life or fate belonged to in the TKEM world?

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

8 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

—————————————

@jangmi92_ I’m calling you out! I see you silently lurking and liking posts but never posting. I like your username and display photo :D 

hehe,Thank you:)

Hi everyone,I almost read every posts here,you guys are awesome!!

Waited this drama from the very beginning,and loved it from first episode,KGE is...ahhh such a charming girl,have a girl crush for her.

Beside superb cast,as a sci fiction freak the genre is what I fell actually:)

Theories,comments,gifs...trying to catch up here is as fun as watching episodes,I mean literally^^

@briseisI remember you from  Healer thread,I first saw your comments here,I've got really happy,so pleasure to with you watch same dramas with same enthusiasm^^

• Like 7
  • Love 5

@SweetButters omo, you post at bitchesoverdrama blog. You must know packmule3 :D i have read that blog a couple of times and theories posted by her. Always really interesting and in depth, too! Ah, i must have missed your post on the yoyo and boy. This thread moves by so fast, I can barely catch up sometimes haha. I like the last question you asked. And if the yo-yo really is a connection to the Three Sisters of Fate then it means there may be more than one force at work here. As of now, I see the boy as a Deity. But given how this story goes, other clues can lead me somewhere else.

• Like 8

On 5/13/2020 at 9:32 AM, MairaA said:

am worried about our Unbreakable Sword Jo Yeong. He hasn't told LG about the photo of LR he saw on SeungAh's camera, and he doesn't seem too surprised about the revelation in episodes 7-8 that LR is alive. I don't know if I'm supposed to interpret that as it just being his personality or something more... Also, because of the picture taken and multiple pictures taken at the scene, I am suspicious of SeungAh as well. It's like keeping a picture record of everything to send out to someone, I don't know if I saw it wrong but as JY was looking at the pictures, it seemed like she wanted her damn camera back. Also, her constantly trying to get into the palace as a worker. But, I'm not too sold on both of them being evil but I am thinking about it in the back of my mind. I really hope they aren't evil. 

Hello... welcome.

Please send the deleted link to me too :D

i just wanted to give my two cents on this point :)

- i somehow think Naari from Corea is not evil. Someone here explained it to me:

in a scale of 0 to 9,extreme numbers change the most. Numbers like 4/5 will not show much variation if the scale is reversed. So Naari and photographer lady in Corea are 4/5 -- not much change in personality.

At this point, i think almost all main characters are not telling us,the audience, everything they kmow. Will we know everything by the end, i cant tell.

JY: i had doubts earlier but i think he is super loyal. He most probably will not show too many emotions but because of how they have been brought up, he will give his all to the King. I just hope he doesnt die.

ES is the weak link for me. He is loyal but he depends upon others to protect him. However, someone here pointed out: JY says if people like him protect the country then ...

This dialogue could mean something for how events unfold for him and ES. 

As for the photograph scene: the girl is a fangirl. She went to the race to click JY and she is happy to share photos with him but she is embarrassed as she doesnt want him to know that she only clicked him and not the race!

JY not recognizing LR was strange. Did he miss it coz of his focus on finding the King?

People are conjecturizing: LG will be shocked when he sees LR's picture on his computer (reference preview 9) and maybe it will be the photographer lady's pics sent to JY via email.

It could also be LG getting to know Luna and JTE have the same fingerprints.

We will know in less than 24 hours. :D

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2

33 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

The object of the yo-yo itself could signify a loop like time loop since with a yo-yo what you do is loop a string over and over again between two disks. The the looping motion is controlled both by you and gravity. With gravity causing the string/disk to fall and you the being causing it to be rewound back. 

I was the one who in early on also said that yo-yo, in the hands of god's representative, symbolizes the looping ( up and down circling on string, round and round till reaches end of string to  god's hand). It's all within god's control at the end when time comes, which is when Luna's time is up and yo-yo boy takes her away. Only then the looping cycle can stop. That's why this time around the repeats will end. JTE will die, like really, gate closes, no more time loop and travel. I personally prefer it this way instead of them (LG and JTE) keeping on repeating their short-time together over and over again. I want them to live in each other's heart forever eternal rather than JTE dies and LG heartbroken endlessly. That will be really really sad to me. 

We were shown that yo-yo boy and Luna know each other. But each of them has no relation to anyone else. That's the reason of my speculation that yo-yo boy being there has everything to do with Luna. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, syntyche said:

Night of Treason - One or Two Saviors?

Based on the above, there are two saviors because:

(1) The first one hid behind the broken glass display. How the scene played out next (slow motion, background music) signifies the entrance of another savior. 

(2) Their shoes are different. Below is the comparison of the sole of their shoes. In Savior #1's shoes (left hand side) the toe cap extends down to the sole (see red outline). Whereas in Savior #2's shoes (right hand side), there is a clear separation between the toe cap and the sole.

Identity of the Saviors:

Savior #2 is most likely Lee Gon. How the entrance of Savior #2 was played out, add to that the focus on young Lee Gon, gives the eerie feeling that adult Lee Gon is Savior #2. And of course, think City Hunter's silhouette.

Savior #1 is not Tae Eul. When Savior #1 used a guard as body shield, savior would have been a lot shorter in height if that was Tae Eul. So Savior#2 could be someone else - sharpshooter Shin Jae or royal guard captain Jo Young.   

I totally agree with you. The second savior is probably LG, while the first one must be either JY or KSJ.
1) The first one had to know that he could hid behind that glass: either LG told him beforehand ( => Shin Jae), or he was already very familiar with the place ( => Jo Yeong).
2) The one who shot the glass to trigger the alarm knew about the security system of that room: it might be LG (quite probable: it's a clever trick, and it doesn't requite an accurate aim), Jo Yeong or Shin Jae (if instructed to do so by either LG or JY).
3) The one who missed a shot is probably LG (I can't imagine Jo Yeong or Shin Jae being less than perfect at taking aim, even with a moving target).

• Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3