[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

9 hours ago, CallieP said:

So is it the media or individual commenters  and bloggers that is claiming it is a flop? I would like an answer to Heretorant's question too as to is it Koreans or international  posters that say it is a failure?  And are LMH's haters Koreans or international?

I don’t know for sure. But I think it’s mostly by individual commenters and bloggers. And their followers are then influenced by them and keep echoing these views elsewhere, and so on and so on and so on. 

• Like 3
  • Unamused 2

1 minute ago, rcresh said:

I think LL would’ve managed to cross the parallel world in that timeline too and would’ve still crossed paths with TE. As for SJ, if there is no timeline A, he is likely to be the savior.

We both have our points laid out and there are no further events in the current episodes to back both our theories up. Even the time travel hasn’t been introduced yet. Hopefully, more clues will be given in this week’s episodes. :)

The time travel has been introduced there was some leak here few days ago showing signs of clear time-travel where Lee Gon visited young Tae Eul from 1994

• Like 7

Just now, Heilo said:

The time travel has been introduced there was some leak here few days ago showing signs of clear time-travel where Lee Gon visited young Tae Eul from 1994

What I mean is the drama didn’t directly mention it yet, so I think there’s still alot of character building that will happen before that reveal. And by then, we will have enough clues on whoever the saviors really are.

As I’ve mentioned in the previous comments, there is time travel involved (but indirect proofs led us to that, and sometime in the upcoming eps, it will be directly mentioned). And the loop is still a theory. In both ways, I’ll stick to my theory for now. We all have our opinions and I hope we both give the drama more time to fill in the gaps that will solidify the plot more :)

• Like 5

@rcresh

True it's all theories and opinions nothing more. 

But there is one thing that I have been thinking about regarding time-travel and especially time-loop's. What happens to Timeline A, Timeline B and Timeline C when something is corrected because everytime something is corrected it also changes everything in the future. 

Example: Lets say you have been married to Xy for 20 odd years but you went back in time to warn your younger self to change that decision so you decide to marry XX instead but what happens is that everything that has happened in the last 20yrs gets whipped out and everything is reset and everything happens differently for the next 20 years. The future you will not die but memory will change and people around you will change and the only way you can die is if you have died in the reset by some freak accident and never reached the end of that 20 years but lets assume nothing happens in this scenario. Your decision from the past will change everything you know in the future. 

Another thing is called Grandpa Paradox Which I won't go into this repeats itself again and again

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Geolyvseven said:

@rcresh

True it's all theories and opinions nothing more. 

But there is one thing that I have been thinking about regarding time-travel and especially time-loop's. What happens to Timeline A, Timeline B and Timeline C when something is corrected because everytime something is corrected it also changes everything in the future. 

Example: Lets say you have been married to Xy for 20 odd years but you went back in time to warn your younger self to change that decision so you decide to marry XX instead but what happens is that everything that has happened in the last 20yrs gets whipped out and everything is reset and everything happens differently for the next 20 years. The future you will not die but memory will chang and people around you will change and the only way you can die is if you have died in the reset by some freak accident and never reached the end of that 20 years but lets assume nothing happens in this scenario your decision from the past will change everything you know in the future 

Another thing is called Grandpa Paradox Which I won't go into this repeats itself again and again

I’m glad we stopped bickering over whether it’s SJ or JY :sweatingbullets: I felt like we were taking alot of space in the forum haha. It was a nice banter though with you and @Heilo I believe you’re both JY fans haha.

As for the time loop, that’s why I think it’s complicated. The only way for a paradox to not exist is to have branching timelines. And this is too complicated to handle in a 16-episode drama. These branching timelines would also prevent the Grandfather Paradox from happening.

But @Keikokoko’s comment caught my eye when she/he commented about his/her theory that they are in an endless loop and this timeline is all about looking for a wrinkle that would break that loop. :)

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, rcresh said:

As for the time loop, that’s why I think it’s complicated. The only way for a paradox to not exist is to have branching timelines. And this is too complicated to handle in a 16-episode drama. These branching timelines would also prevent the Grandfather Paradox from happening.

But @Keikokoko’s comment caught my eye when she/he commented about his/her theory that they are in an endless loop and this timeline is all about looking for a wrinkle that would break that loop. :)

Okay. I just couldn't sit on the fence and watch while all this timeline theories going on so I decided to join in on the speculations. 

Are you suggesting that a Time-loop is like a grandpa Paradox?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Wis dom said:

Okay. I just couldn't sit on the fence and watch while all this timeline theories going on so I decided to join in on the speculations. 

Are you suggesting that a Time-loop is like a grandpa Paradox?

A time travel will most likely lead to a paradox if there is only one timeline. This is also part of the reason why I think there are at least two timelines (the first one is where LG first met TE) and the one we’re watching is another one that branched from the original timeline.

Still unsure how TKEM will handle this time travel though.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, rcresh said:

A time travel will most likely lead to a paradox if there is only one timeline. This is also part of the reason why I think there are at least two timelines (the first one is where LG first met TE) and the one we’re watching is another one that branched from the original timeline.

I think the theory of 3 timelines is more precise atleast to me or perhaps there could be more or we find ourselves in the big one a grandpa paradox which is an endless circle but I don't think we are in that just a time-loop where things have repeated in 3 timelines. 

There is possibility of two saviours as you suggested but who is with Lee Gon on his journey back is unsure 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mrsj3n said:

Phew!!!

Finally caught up with all the posts and read some very interesting analysis and theories and spoilers that I don't understand.

I felt like age has caught up on me just catching up here. Lol

:joy:

Congratulations! You're awesome to do all those backreading and reached the latest post. 

(I know that after receiving your reaction from the posts that I've written wayyyy back)

At this moment I'm just going to wait till the next episode... after getting all the information from all these theories ...  

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, rcresh said:

I have read some very solid analysis on bitchesoverdramas quite sensational name but they seem to be popular nowadays and they seem to know how to analyse and get there theories down and solid

• Like 5
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Heilo said:

I have read some very solid analysis on bitchesoverdramas quite sensational name but they seem to be popular nowadays and they seem to know how to analyse and get there theories down and solid

Wah! I’ve also been visiting that page and the blog’s owner (packmule3) is so on point when discussing her theories. So far I liked what they speculated about the yo-yo kid being Fate waaay before it was even brought up in this forum.

I also got the idea of the three timelines from her post when she explained why the relationship of LG and TE is moving at such a fast pace (backing up the time loop theory).

Theories aside though, I wish for more JY and ES interactions. The first time I discovered Woo Do Hwan was in Tempted. That drama isn’t as complex as this one, and it didn’t allow him to fully showcase his acting ability. So far, his acting is what stands out the most in TKEM. :wub:

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Geolyvseven said:

The question is where is JY and why would he not take his right hand man with him for such critical mission unless ofcourse JY dies? Which I doubt but anything is possible 

@Geolyvseven Maybe just maybe, there is a certain rule that only the holder of the flute can be the one that time travels? Or it could be that everyone he loves including JTE and JY are dead. Hence the reason why he would be more motivated to find a solution. 

Also usually in these stereotypical hero storylines, heroes tend to make their archetypal quest alone.

Most heroes in literature tend to follow a certain route such as: 

Hero's Quest typically starts in the hero's ordinary world [LG just has a regular boring life in KOC] --> Said hero is receives some sort of sign/calling which leads them to begin their journey or quest [Sighting of Rabbit with clock] -->  Many heroes initially refuse the calling until they meet a symbolic mentor or guide who solidifies their belief that they are capable and should go on this quest [Meets JTE] --> Following the meeting with said guide, they move onto the world of their quest [ROK] --> All along their journey, they meet allies and enemies who test our hero; for example losing allies or having enemies create problems --> Eventually they have to face one final last obstacle [Probably battle with LR for other half of flute] --> If successful, they usually take the object of their quest and head on their merry way home to celebrate [Sometimes the journey home can be difficult, but in the end they return back to their ordinary world with their prize or whatever].

Whether it be King Arthur or Alice in Wonderland, both characters go on some sort of journey to gain something. For King Arthur, he was searching for the Holy Grail and for Alice she was searching for knowledge. So in TKEM, we all know LG is on a stereotypical hero's journey, but what is he searching for and what is his prize is the question I think we should all try and answer! :lol:

------------------------------------------------------

I had mentioned to another member here that if you read Alice in Wonderland for fun, you would think that its just a bunch of non-sense. However, if you read it with an analytical mind, you would see how Lewis Carroll had made many references to philosophical ideals [Heraclitean's "Unity of Opposites" and Search for the "Non-Being"] and typical societal views through the utilization of literary elements/devices which further added to the overall complexity and beauty of the story [KES actually did a brilliant job for portraying Heraclitean's "Unity of Opposites" and Search for the "Non-Being" concepts in TKEM btw] .

In Alice in Wonderland, the Cheshire Cat says " We are all mad here" to Alice. This was Carroll's way of showing that society typically had the sentiment that those who question the norm or seek to change the view of what was previously thought was true were dubbed "mad" or "crazy". In relation to TKEM, looked what happened to LG....JTE kept calling him "crazy" because he was telling her he was from a parallel world which deviated from was previously thought was true which is that there's only one world. To her, he was just talking a lot of "non-sense" just because she couldn't fathom the possibility of there being two worlds or whatever. So from my point of view as a scientist, we all have to be a little "mad" or "crazy" in the head to come up with novel, beautiful, and creative solutions to ugly problems. 

For some who may watch TKEM for fun and think that what's happening doesn't make sense or that it's a bunch of non-sense, you might just miss out on all the beauty this story has to offer much like Alice in Wonderland if you don't think about it critically! Again big applause to KES ! :kiss_wink:

• Like 17
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

2 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

For some who may watch TKEM for fun and think that what's happening doesn't make sense or that it's a bunch of non-sense, you might just miss out on all the beauty this story has to offer much like Alice in Wonderland if you don't think about it critically! Again big applause to KES ! :kiss_wink:

I agree. Every detail, every conversation, and every interaction are important in this drama. Things seem loosely tied right now because the plot is leading us towards the ends of several threads (the POV of multiple characters) that will soon weave together intricately into a solid knot. And only then would we understand the significance of every scene that feels out-of-place in the moment. This is why I love time travel so much. Nothing makes sense until all the hidden meanings are revealed, and then you’ll be left marvelling at how interconnected every event was. I hope we will all get the chills from this amazing masterpiece once the drama ends.

• Like 9
  • Love 6

I don't trust PD , this 2are master in kiss ,but they just want them to give us a ordinary kiss scene :rage:  i remember Leo in heirs he was so passionately in action but my god PSH :pensive: and I don't want this in the king , can anyone tell them to be careful ,we need a hot scene not gentle emotions ,plzzzz God plz don't make them ruins this scene plzzzz:tired:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, SweetButters said:
Spoiler

@Geolyvseven Maybe just maybe, there is a certain rule that only the holder of the flute can be the one that time travels? Or it could be that everyone he loves including JTE and JY are dead. Hence the reason why he would be more motivated to find a solution. 

Also usually in these stereotypical hero storylines, heroes tend to make their archetypal quest alone.

Most heroes in literature tend to follow a certain route such as: 

Hero's Quest typically starts in the hero's ordinary world [LG just has a regular boring life in KOC] --> Said hero is receives some sort of sign/calling which leads them to begin their journey or quest [Sighting of Rabbit with clock] -->  Many heroes initially refuse the calling until they meet a symbolic mentor or guide who solidifies their belief that they are capable and should go on this quest [Meets JTE] --> Following the meeting with said guide, they move onto the world of their quest [ROK] --> All along their journey, they meet allies and enemies who test our hero; for example losing allies or having enemies create problems --> Eventually they have to face one final last obstacle [Probably battle with LR for other half of flute] --> If successful, they usually take the object of their quest and head on their merry way home to celebrate [Sometimes the journey home can be difficult, but in the end they return back to their ordinary world with their prize or whatever].

Whether it be King Arthur or Alice in Wonderland, both characters go on some sort of journey to gain something. For King Arthur, he was searching for the Holy Grail and for Alice she was searching for knowledge. So in TKEM, we all know LG is on a stereotypical hero's journey, but what is he searching for and what is his prize is the question I think we should all try and answer! :lol:

------------------------------------------------------

I had mentioned to another member here that if you read Alice in Wonderland for fun, you would think that its just a bunch of non-sense. However, if you read it with an analytical mind, you would see how Lewis Carroll had made many references to philosophical ideals [Heraclitean's "Unity of Opposites" and Search for the "Non-Being"] and typical societal views through the utilization of literary elements/devices which further added to the overall complexity and beauty of the story [KES actually did a brilliant job for portraying Heraclitean's "Unity of Opposites" and Search for the "Non-Being" concepts in TKEM btw] .

In Alice in Wonderland, the Cheshire Cat says " We are all mad here" to Alice. This was Carroll's way of showing that society typically had the sentiment that those who question the norm or seek to change the view of what was previously thought was true were dubbed "mad" or "crazy". In relation to TKEM, looked what happened to LG....JTE kept calling him "crazy" because he was telling her he was from a parallel world which deviated from was previously thought was true which is that there's only one world. To her, he was just talking a lot of "non-sense" just because she couldn't fathom the possibility of there being two worlds or whatever. So from my point of view as a scientist, we all have to be a little "mad" or "crazy" in the head to come up with novel, beautiful, and creative solutions to ugly problems. 

Sweetbutters comin thru with this post. This is what makes this story truly unique because it has purpose and wants to chellenge the viewer intellectually and everything is lead to a certain point. Just like Lee Gon said You are my Zero and imo he didn't figure out how to use that zero just yet but once that occurs everything will come together as one puzzle piece

• Like 6
  • Love 2