[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

38 minutes ago, Heilo said:

I hope they release one with subtitles tho. But chellsee just posted the vid. 

Off-topic: 

I remember this hilarious incident that happened once on viki I think it was back 2016 or 15. I tuned in to watch a Wuxia it was highly anticipated but on viki they have different sub teams to take care of all the dramas airing. The Sub team that was in charge of that particular wuxia was called something like ''Team gone with the shirt'' hahah. What happened is that they were very late with there subs and sometimes they only subbed like 75% or little more than that main while the comment section was getting heated up. 

People asked ''Hey Sub team whats happening!'' first it started slowly but then it changed into riot and bashing the sub team hahaha. To the point that the sub team had to intervene or atleast couple of them in the discussion which only made things get further out of hand and into war of words. One of the subbers was claiming innocence and citing hard work but it fell on deaf ears because alot of people wanted to watch it hence there was anticipation before it aired. Some of them even renamed them ''Team gone with the shiiixt'' 

As for me I originally came for the show but ended up staying for the comment section :joy:

I have noticed that on viki normally Korean shows are subbed instantly but the chinese subbers mostly volunteer on viki or atleast in the past and even on kissasian and other platforms with drama you can run into wuxia dramas that are unsubbed or half subbed. I watched the The legend of chusen and ice fantasy these were good. I just couldn't get into ten miles of peach blossoms and it was highly overrated in my honest opinion tho I loved The legend of Chusen, Ice fantasy and the one I loved most was Battle Through the Heavens and I don't know to this day why Leo Wu got backlash for that it was his best performs imo. I loved that show

• Like 4

Hello guys this is my first time commenting so I hope u understand, I'm just trying to share something I think is not base on what I observe from the drama but is just my imagination and after reading all of theories. Also I don't know how this thread work so if I make a mistake just correct me,  I had difficult time before figuring out how to comment but I still don't know how to sign up.

So this is my theory what if Lee rim from the republic of Korea is the one that saved little Lee gon or may be Lee gon's father was the one that saved him.

Base on what we observe except for lady that sells coffee and have two cars all the other characters are opposite to each other. Example Lee rim in republic of Korea is different from his other self of corea. Luna is a thief while Lee taeul is a detective. The captain I forgot his name woo do hwan is funny in Korea but  is a serious guy in corea that have responsibility to protect the king. So may be the Lee rim in Korea could have been a good guy and saved Lee gon from his other self. But then again I have no idea how he went back to saved the little Lee  gon and how he had the Id card that the little lee gon snatched.

Edited by Lee taemin 123
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

I have noticed that on viki normally Korean shows are subbed instantly but the chinese subbers mostly volunteer on viki or atleast in the past and even on kissasian and other platforms with drama you can run into wuxia dramas that are unsubbed or half subbed. I watched the The legend of chusen and ice fantasy these were good. I just couldn't get into ten miles of peach blossoms and it was highly overrated in my honest opinion tho I loved The legend of Chusen, Ice fantasy and the one I loved most was Battle Through the Heavens and I don't know to this day why Leo Wu got backlash for that it was his best performs imo. I loved that show

I didn't like any of these except Battle through the heavens while I admit watched few episodes of Ice fantasy but I really loved BTTH. I heard about the backlash and he didn't want to return for season 2 because of it. Imo There was a very good arc that never got explored in that series with him X the snake girl. She was very good looking and mysterious. I think they tried to save her for the second season and it never came 

• Like 1

OSEN | 2020. 05. 13. 

"The King: Eternal Monarch" expected to rule charts with 2 new OSTs

7BF545E7-E477-44BA-AFDF-558D07850C72.jpg

The best collaboration ever successfully happened through the OSTs of the drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" (SBS).

The Fri-Sat drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" (SBS, scriptwriter: Kim Eun Sook, directors: Baek Sang Hoon, Jung Ji Hyun, production: Hwa & Dam Picture, Studio Dragon) informed that they will release the 9th OST "Heart Break" by Gaeko and Kim Na Young at 6 pm (KST) May 15. The 10th OST "My Day Is Full Of You" by Zico and Wendy will also be released at the same time on May 16.

At first, acknowledged top rapper Gaeko and emotional ballad songstress Kim Na Young show a wonderful collaboration through "Heart Break" - the perfect track to go with the fanciful and mysterious atmosphere of "The King: Eternal Monarch."

Notably, the song leaves an impression with the hook accentuating Kim Na Young's mellifluous vocal. In addition, Gaeko impeccably delivers powerful lyrics with his unique way of expression, contributing to the perfection of the song.

08B7EF5D-DD5D-4350-8482-0E220D8D0565.jpg

In addition, this song helps to raise the audience's expectations and curiosity about the love story of Emperor Lee Gon (played by Lee Min Ho) of the Korean Empire and Jung Tae Eul (played by Kim Go Eun). At the same time, Gaeko participated in not only writing lyrics along with the OST world's most well-known music director Gaemi, but also composed the song with musician Hwang Chan Hee - the "father" of hits like Kim Jong Kook's "One Man", Crush's "Beautiful", etc., thereby forecasting the birth of a new famous OST.

Next, the trend-leading artist as well as Korea's top talented producer Zico along with Wendy - the excellent vocalist of Red Velvet - promise to deliver a beautiful harmony through their collaboration in "My Day Is Full Of You".

"My Day Is Full Of You" is a song that begins with a gentle piano melody and Wendy's sweet humming. Wendy's shy vocal as if she were hesitating to show affection to the other perfectly combines with Zico's inspiring and delicate voice, which helps to push the romance of the drama to the climax.

In the recent episodes of "The King: Eternal Monarch", the scenes are getting more and more thrilling, thereby fully depicting the tension and mystery that make the romance of the two main characters more attractive. Through the new OST "My Day Is Full Of You", which was created from the top-notch collaboration of Zico and Wendy, viewers will be able to feel more clearly the delicate emotions that Emperor Lee Gon has for Jung Tae Eul.

EDF003B8-763C-4CE6-BA3E-249DC68FDC13.jpg

Zico wrote the lyrics for the song along with music director Gaemi and composer Heo Sung Jin, who gave birth to a series of OST hits, with the most typical is the OST for "When the Camellia Blooms", thereby heightening the sincere affection of Lee Gon for Jung Tae Eul.

"The King: Eternal Monarch" is being broadcast smoothly in the viewers' enthusiastic interest. Thus, the new OSTs this time featuring a rare lineup are also expected to achieve good results on digital music charts.

The drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" (SBS) revolves around the process of working together when moving back and forth between two worlds of Lee Gon - the sensible Emperor of the Korean Empire who wants to close the gate connecting the two worlds, and Jung Tae Eul - a female police officer in the Republic of Korea who wants to protect people's life and love. The drama is on air at 10 pm (KST) every Friday and Saturday.

In addition, the 9th OST "Heart Break" by Gaeko and Kim Na Young and 10th OST "My Day Is Full Of You" by Zico and Wendy (Red Velvet) of the Fri-Sat drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" (SBS) will be released in turn via digital music sites at 6 pm (KST) May 15 and 16.

OSEN = Reporter Ji Min Kyung /mk3244@osen.co.kr
Photo = CJ ENM, Neverland Story Entertainment, SM Entertainment, Amoeba Culture, KOZ Entertainment
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 12

Hi!  First forum post here - I’m so excited to have found this drama and finally broke my year long lurking spell to discuss this show.

My two favorite shows are Agents of SHIELD and Legends of Tomorrow, both shows that deal with parallel/alt universes and time travel.  Add in some LMH and you’ve got a winner for me.  I see the plot inconsistencies but..AOS S5 was brutally frustrating all the way to the finale because of messy timelines and unreliable characters and then it all clicked at the end and it became incredible.  I think there’s way too much effort put into this show (the cinematography alone is breathtaking) for it not to come together brilliantly by the end.  I love it because it’s not your usual Kdrama, this one makes you think and has more of an epic feel to it.

I rewatched the first episode and noticed a few things.

• It’s not a coincidence that it’s SJ and JTE interrogating LR.  I think the timeline will reset, and that scene will be in the penultimate episode. I bet the series finale will have that shot of LG at the border with Maximus.

• Definitely two people at the murder scene.  One of them comes in and shoots everyone, and ducks behind.  This one is a good shooter and hits at least half a dozen people.  I’m thinking it’s SJ.  There’s a solid minute before the next guy comes in, and LR is looking for the flute half.

• Second shooter comes in and there’s a deliberate close up of this shoes, and his face is even more covered than the first guy.  This one shoots off at least 10 rounds and hits...nothing. Literally shoots like a freaking Stormtrooper.  This is also the one who gives JTE’s badge to baby LG.  I’m thinking this one is adult LG. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 5
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, Keikokoko said:

It took 6 seasons to tell main plots and sub plots before ending Lost series with big shocker (parallel, afterlife?!). I don’t think this writer has neither budget nor stamina for that kind of complexity. So relax, have some Soju, listen to OST, and be dazed and confused. It’s all good! 

Thank You, I also thought because of TKEM pace it may be another LOST in the making, which uptil now it actually is. But it's LOST with number 8 in episodes rather than seasons which is sad because this storyline could very well be multiverse exploration in K dramas if only people gave their 2 cents to understand it better.

@bebebisous33 Thanks for the YOYO Kid explanation, I also keep on saying he is FATE although here he is a kid whereas in Goblin it was a Teen/Grandma.

All the release and explanations about how the KISS in episode 9 is going to be this and that, then they show a 2-4 sec peck and they get criticism, who is this PR team? I have no hopes of any proper KISS maybe we will get one around episode 12-15 but before that nope.(Trend Analysis of K drama )

Dirty Love ala LOTBS from KES show :crazy:, KING or Princess Di is not yet that uh Wildly curious? I am not sure how to write this without using some improper wordings, but doesn't seem a fit here as of now , leaving that to imaginary Chamber of Secrets.

29 minutes ago, Heilo said:

I didn't like any of these except Battle through the heavens while I admit watched few episodes of Ice fantasy but I really loved BTTH. I heard about the backlash and he didn't want to return for season 2 because of it. Imo There was a very good arc that never got explored in that series with him X the snake girl. She was very good looking and mysterious. I think they tried to save her for the second season and it never came 

I so tried watching Chinese Shows , Viki has them restricted in India but then I tried the ones of Netflix, they are not something I can explore much like I have to switch off my brain cells which are left to endure the lala fantasy ( great imagination must say ). Just my opinion.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

Didn't check in for 1 day, 20 pages flew past at my last checked in.

tenor.gif

Saw MAJOR SPOILERS POST!!

tenor.gif

Clicked but nothing is inside anymore!!! 

On 5/12/2020 at 7:16 PM, Lisa_BB said:
  Hide contents

MAJOR SPOILER PHOTOS

tenor.gif

Why is this happening to me...........

• Like 1
  • LOL 15

44 minutes ago, Heilo said:

I didn't like any of these except Battle through the heavens while I admit watched few episodes of Ice fantasy but I really loved BTTH. I heard about the backlash and he didn't want to return for season 2 because of it. Imo There was a very good arc that never got explored in that series with him X the snake girl. She was very good looking and mysterious

She was glorious I wanted her and the lead but she was not explored enough and probably saved her for second season 

Spoiler

006CwWtqly1fe5r4uqrcwj31jk111kjl.jpg?w=8

• Like 1
  • Love 4

36 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

Hi!  First forum post here - I’m so excited to have found this drama and finally broke my year long lurking spell to discuss this show.

My two favorite shows are Agents of SHIELD and Legends of Tomorrow, both shows that deal with parallel/alt universes and time travel.  Add in some LMH and you’ve got a winner for me.  I see the plot inconsistencies but..AOS S5 was brutally frustrating all the way to the finale because of messy timelines and unreliable characters and then it all clicked at the end and it became incredible.  I think there’s way too much effort put into this show (the cinematography alone is breathtaking) for it not to come together brilliantly by the end.  I love it because it’s not your usual Kdrama, this one makes you think and has more of an epic feel to it.

I rewatched the first episode and noticed a few things.

• It’s not a coincidence that it’s SJ and JTE interrogating LR.  I think the timeline will reset, and that scene will be in the penultimate episode. I bet the series finale will have that shot of LG at the border with Maximus.

• Definitely two people at the murder scene.  One of them comes in and shoots everyone, and ducks behind.  This one is a good shooter and hits at least half a dozen people.  I’m thinking it’s SJ.  There’s a solid minute before the next guy comes in, and LR is looking for the flute half.

• Second shooter comes in and there’s a deliberate close up of this shoes, and his face is even more covered than the first guy.  This one shoots off at least 10 rounds and hits...nothing. Literally shoots like a freaking Stormtrooper.  This is also the one who gives JTE’s badge to baby LG.  I’m thinking this one is adult LG. 

Interesting theory and take on things. By the way welcome on board. 

I don't think SJ will be present but I believe JY will be present he goes everywhere the king goes and who is his personal bodyguard and close loyalist

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Heilo said:

Interesting theory and take on things. By the way welcome on board. 

I don't think SJ will be present but I believe JY will be present he goes everywhere the king goes and who is his personal bodyguard and close loyalist

I’m leaning more on SJ / TE to be the other savior though. There’s a reason why they were the first ones shown on the premiere episode and why the show keeps showcasing their shooting abilities.

I think JY / ES will play a crucial part in the current timeline, whereas SJ / TE will be the ones who will take a step further to save young LG.

I hope the episode tomorrow will show more Luna scenes, and ofc more LG-TE scenes and less PPL :sweatingbullets: I also think the kiss will not be as steamy as most of us are wishing and we will only get a proper kiss around eps 14-16 lol (classic kdrama trope). But who knows, this is not your typical kdrama.

So excited for tomorrow’s episode :wub:

1 hour ago, AgentQuake said:

Woah. When I first watched that scene, I didn’t notice that the second savior literally  shot no-one. That’s a very sharp observation. It further solidifies the theory that one of the saviors is LG.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, rcresh said:

I’m leaning more on SJ / TE to be the other savior though. There’s a reason why they were the first ones shown on the premiere episode and why the show keeps showcasing their shooting abilities.

I think JY / ES will play a crucial part in the current timeline, whereas SJ / TE will be the ones who will take a step further to save young LG.

I hope the episode tomorrow will show more Luna scenes, and ofc more LG-TE scenes and less PPL :sweatingbullets: I also think the kiss will not be as steamy as most of us are wishing and we will only get a proper kiss around eps 14-16 lol (classic kdrama trope). But who knows, this is not your typical kdrama.

The question is where is JY and why would he not take his right hand man with him for such critical mission unless ofcourse JY dies? Which I doubt but anything is possible 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Geolyvseven said:

The question is where is JY and why would he not take his right hand man with him for such critical mission unless ofcourse JY dies? Which I doubt but anything is possible 

I’m leaning more on SJ / TE because I think they have stronger motivations (I think there’s something crucial in SJ’s backstory that will motivate him) and they are the ones who are likely to investigate  the impact of LL’s evil plans more.

While JY exists to protect LG, I think it will leave a heavier audience impact if the first savior’s reason for going back is not purely to save young LG / protect adult LG but rather, for a bigger purpose (e.g. to prevent something tragic that resulted from LL’s plans)

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, rcresh said:

Woah. When I first watched that scene, I didn’t notice that the second savior literally  shot no-one. That’s a very sharp observation. It further solidifies the theory that one of the saviors is LG.

I agree with you on some points espeically on the tragic event that happened due to Lee Lim doings and actions but in my opinion that occured in the first timeline. There has to be 3 different timelines the first person who saved Lee Gon is not himself someone else came an altered timeline A changing into Timeline B. 

Timeline A: Lee Gon and his father died on the spot and Lee Lim came to the throne and due to this plans something tragic must of happened which forced someone not Lee Gon as he is death to go back. Creating a new Timeline. 

Timeline B: Lee Gon is alive here and he leads his normal life and I assume he cross over to the republic at some point thats where he meets JTE first time ever naturally. Without him having any previous knowledge of her. Something happens in this timeline that forces him to reset this timeline which means going back again to save his younger self and he dropped that ID card which is linked to the reason why he chose to comeback this time again. 

Timeline C: This is the current timeline we find ourselves in where Lee Gon and JTE has meet again 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Heilo said:

I agree with you on some points espeically on the tragic event that happened due to Lee Lim doings and actions but in my opinion that occured in the first timeline. There has to be 3 different timelines the first person who saved Lee Gon is not himself someone else came an altered timeline A changing into Timeline B. 

Timeline A: Lee Gon and his father died on the spot and Lee Lim came to the throne and due to this plans something tragic must of happened which forced someone not Lee Gon as he is death to go back. Creating a new Timeline. 

Timeline B: Lee Gon is alive here and he leads his normal life and I assume he cross over to the republic at some point thats where he meets JTE first time ever naturally. Without him having any previous knowledge of her. Something happens in this timeline that forces him to reset this timeline which means going back again to save his younger self and he dropped that ID card which is linked to the reason why he chose to comeback this time again. 

Timeline C: This is the current timeline we find ourselves in where Lee Gon and JTE has meet again 

I agree with you on those timelines as I originally theorised those points. I’m theorising the SJ / TE savior if there is no loop involved. But even if there is a loop, and there is a timeline A, then it’s more likely that one of SJ / TE is the savior as they are the ones who will be affected (LL travelling to their world, and the cases they encounter bc of their work). Furthermore, if this is based on Timeline A, LG would’ve died and JY would never meet him at all, so there is no reason for him to go back.

Anyways, everything is just a theory for now :)

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, rcresh said:

I’m leaning more on SJ / TE because I think they have stronger motivations (I think there’s something crucial in SJ’s backstory that will motivate him) and they are the ones who are likely to investigate  the impact of LL’s evil plans more.

While JY exists to protect LG, I think it will leave a heavier audience impact if the first savior’s reason for going back is not purely to save young LG / protect adult LG but rather, for a bigger purpose (e.g. to prevent something tragic that resulted from LL’s plans)

JY's family has been loyal to LG's family so if anyone were to go back and bring the king back it would be JY in Timeline A becasue I believe that in Timeline A Lee Gon has not meet anyone on the other side because he died in that timeline so JY is the only one amongst the living unless he also died in that same place on that night

• Like 4

Phew!!!

Finally caught up with all the posts and read some very interesting analysis and theories and spoilers that I don't understand.

I felt like age has caught up on me just catching up here. Lol

old-man-gif.gif

@2handsintertwined  welcome to the forum!

No one is too dumb for this drama.

Sometimes we all thought we know something and then something happened and throw all our theories out the window and we are back to square one. :joy:

And then sometimes when we keep analysing and then we end up confusing everyone including ourselves and wonder if we talk sense.

And then we continue to analyse and discuss and then..

BUwc.gif

But two things I know for sure is that we are all excited for the kiss for this week and it will be time to use those tissues we have been hoarding during this whole pandemic. 

07g0j43ncg321.gif

:joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Geolyvseven said:

JY's family has been loyal to LG's family so if anyone were to go back and bring the king back it would be JY in Timeline A becasue I believe that in Timeline A Lee Gon has not meet anyone on the other side because he died in that timeline so JY is the only one amongst the living unless he also died in that same place on that night

Still unsure about JY though. I really think it’s SJ. His backstory has to account for something. JY would be an obvious pick and I think he’ll play more role in the climax episodes leading to that time travel, but not on the time travel itself.

But we’ll see more of that in the coming eps :) Anything is still possible for now.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, rcresh said:

I agree with you on those timelines as I originally theorised those points. I’m theorising the SJ / TE savior if there is no loop involved. But even if there is a loop, and there is a timeline A, then it’s more likely that one of SJ / TE is the savior as they are the ones who will be affected (LL travelling to their world, and the cases they encounter bc of their work). Furthermore, if this is based on Timeline A, LG would’ve died and JY would never meet him at all, so there is no reason for him to go back.

Anyways, everything is just a theory for now :)

As mentioned by @Geolyvseven

Lee Gon couldn't have crossed over because he was dead in that timeline A someone has reset it that timeline and most probably JY or his father but not the cop team as they are not exposed to this world just yet and also another thing I forgot to mention is that SJ was still in MonKorea and would have never made the cross into RepKorea because him crossing over that night was related to Lee Rim he was the one who crossed him over when he was young 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, Heilo said:

As mentioned by @Geolyvseven

Lee Gon couldn't have crossed over because he was dead in that timeline someone has reset it and most probably JY or his father but not the cop team as they are not exposed to this world just yet and also another thing I forgot to mention is that SJ was still in MonKorea and would have never made the cross into RepKorea because him crossing over that night was related to Lee Rim he was the one who crossed him over when he was young 

I think LL would’ve managed to cross the parallel world in that timeline too and would’ve still crossed paths with TE. As for SJ, if there is no timeline A, he is likely to be the savior.

We both have our points laid out and there are no further events in the current episodes to back both our theories up. Even the time travel hasn’t been introduced yet. Hopefully, more clues will be given in this week’s episodes. :)

• Like 4