[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

2 hours ago, Jillia said:

It's the way they have been editing the scenes with her while being on stage.

Like for example when Dan Oh, Kyung, Ha Ru and Do Hwa are on stage there is always a cut to them what they're thinking while their scenes play out. I can't post a gif right not but in the last two episodes we got this for Joo Da as well. Plus in the last episode she - as soon as the scene ended - addressed Nam Joo's mom as she wanted to.

That's why we think she is aware. :)

Thanks Jillia.  I have to say, I thought the scene with the mom was more a reveal that the character had it in for her. ( I think it would be kind of funny if the audience believed the mom was a villain and Juda the perfect angel, when the mom really is trying to protect Nam Ju from a vengeful character.  Even funnier if Juda turned out to be thirty, just playing a high school student in order to reel in Nam Ju and take his family to the cleaners. My imagination and wishful thinking - I do like twists).

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Potentially he is DO’s guardian angel.  That idea was floated a lot with DH.  And seeing HR and DH’s characters intersect, it would make sense. #13 is DO’s guardian angel hovering until she calls, protecting her even when not summoned (the staircase incident when she falls).  I feel like now that we know HR will step into the shoes of DH’s character in Secret, we need to take a look at DH more to get a handle on HR. 

EDIT - I think the Tree of Life has appeared in the story :lol:

Yep, it had to figure in somewhere!

I take your point about Do Hwa, but I see little for Haru to pattern upon except Do Hwa gave up his love in a way that Haru evidently would not.  Moreover, Haru's trajectory is towards main lead, with Kyung's toward second, so it's Kyung we might learn something (how to give up love selflessly and gracefully?) about if he were to pattern on Do Hwa.  Maybe?

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

13 minutes ago, brielover said:

Moreover, Haru's trajectory is towards main lead, with Kyung's toward second, so it's Kyung we might learn something (how to give up love selflessly and gracefully?) about if he were to pattern on Do Hwa.  Maybe?

Yes I like that trajectory - the ultimate in loving another. Giving them up for their better good.  I can see it playing out in TF so that could very well be where Secret is heading to as well. :D

• Like 4

As ep. go on, my heart breaks for Kyung.. he's trying hard to change his lady love's fate but what to do LoL. At the same time, this is familiar to him (violence, abuse etc) 'cause it's all he knows. In a way it's how he controls his environment by exerting harsh words/actions. It also keep him protected from harm i.e. like a shield or an armor. From bein' hurt himself as he lost a parent as was revealed in an earlier ep. So he's lashing out at Dan Oh 'cause he's upset he might lose her but also she'd never love him the way he wants her to... he's also resentful that someone as insignificant as Haru - an extra has the capability of helping Dan Oh where he, Kyung has failed.

Because of these reasons, I'm more drawn to Kyung. I feel for him. I find him to be the most compelling character out of the bunch. I LoL at Do Hwa that he's the resident violinist in the manhwa! Unlike Haru, Kyung he's resigned to his fate but he's just adorable isn't he? Dried Squid's still a puzzling character. Is he there for nefarious reasons? A new character is bein' introduced to ruffle up some feathers as seen in next preview..

A lot of this in drama seem to draw similarities to life like how those who prefer stability like Kyung and then you have those who want to make a change like Haru. Kind of has certain religious tone to it as well. Sort of like You Reap What You Sow type thing.

• Like 8

Finally done watching with english sub!

I agree with you @Jillia Jinmichae havent done anything wrong until now, he is actually just another victim of the writer, he was a character from trumpet creeper and become an extra in secret, just like Dan Oh and Haru, and seems like his past story is not good either. I find it satisfying too when he diss the writer lol! Says the writer is not creative and just recyling the character and story. Jinmichae is actually just afraid that something tragic will happen again in secret, I have same sentiment as him, I think baekyung is dangerous, he is a jerk and a mad man, I have a feeling that he would explode and destroy everything later

• Like 7
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, kawaiibooty said:

Also, somebody mentioned in an other site that the drama director's previous work was the Seaguk The King in Love about a king, a princess and a bodyguard (and the princess apparently falls for the bodyguard?!), and that he might playfully reference it as well in the Seaguk part of Extraordinary You with Kyung, Danoh and Haru.

The writer is different. That drama is by Song Ji Na.

Wave to everyone here!! I just got caught up with all episodes! Am loving this drama :wub:

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, baby.hae said:

I agree with you @Jillia Jinmichae havent done anything wrong until now, he is actually just another victim of the writer, he was a character from trumpet creeper and become an extra in secret, just like Dan Oh and Haru, and seems like his past story is not good either. I find it satisfying too when he diss the writer lol! Says the writer is not creative and just recyling the character and story. Jinmichae is actually just afraid that something tragic will happen again in secret, I have same sentiment as him, I think baekyung is dangerous, he is a jerk and a mad man, I have a feeling that he would explode and destroy everything later

I also get the impression that BK has become more menacing. I don’t understand how he can get more explosive than he was before. Even the way he talked to Jinmichae got under my skin. E3 wanted answers too which Jinmichae responded by speaking mysteriously but when it comes to BK, it’s like a threat. Gah, when will this guy change? How about starting with his relationship with his younger brother. He’s just all anger all the time except when feeling sorry for himself and then it’s about putting down Haru for exerting himself to be more than a “mere” extra. I mean can he be less self-centered? I’m waiting for him to break out of “Me, Myself and I” mode. Then perhaps he can gain real friends.

I’m especially looking forward to Jinmichae’s story. I know he had a tragic romance too according to the character details released previously on this thread. I want to see if he’ll practice what he preaches when he sees his love again. Hmmm.

:wub: Do Hwa too. I wish he would be happy in the end. He has already given up on JD but he keeps getting pulled into her loveline with NJ. I liked it when JD briefly told off ahjumma. Ha. She’s definitely aware because her goody character would have never done that. Besides, we heard the stage change when she exited the gate of her home. 

Seems Danoh has accepted that she will die soon and she wants to spend her remaining time with Haru. It’s bravely poignant. I hope she gets her wish because I think it near impossible to defy the writer.

• Like 13

16 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Now, I am wondering if Haru is different from the other characters because he doesn't belong to that story initially. It was outlined many times that Haru's beginning is unknown to which Haru replied that he would find his own answer. Since even Jiminchae has no idea about Haru's origin, I have been thinking that Haru might have been from the start the disturbance element in the manhwas. After appearing in Trumpet creeper, he fell in love with DO which somehow ended in a tragedy. That would explain why Haru is the only one who can change the scene on stage as he doesn't belong entirely to the story. Additionally, it would also explain why Haru can remember the "past", scenes from the manhwa "Trumper creeper". Maybe the story is repeating itself, until Haru is able to really fit in the story: he ends up with DO. Maybe the page from the manhwa showing Haru as main character next to DO and BK is the final stage of the story... maybe he started there as an extra as well...  

All great thoughts bebe!  I have watched episode 19 a couple of times now and it is BK that I find the most intriguing.  He seems to be coming to the same understanding that you just laid out.  Episode 19 went into a much different direction from the past few episodes.  The questions that BK is pondering are of the depth that you don't see often.  Look at some of the questions posed by BK, JMC et al.

• What is true reality?
  • Where do I fit into all this?
  • Am I who I am based upon just my characteristics or am I also defined by my relationships?
  • Is this all there is?
  • Do we have the ability to change our role in life? (Free Will vs Predestination)
  • Where do I come from?
  • Is there someone who can affect our reality and how does that fit into the author's plans? (This one question alone is worth a semester of Philosophy)

I know this is primarily an entertainment show but it also allows us to think more deeply about our own lives.  Good stuff.  Now let's watch the DO/HR kiss over and over again because that is why we love this series.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Jillia said:

Ha Ru the real fox though... I always wonder if he is doing like wiping away the food from Dan Oh's lips or "accidently" touching her on purpose? :lol: :wub:

Find yourself a man who is looking and smiling at you like Ha Ru looks and smiles at Dan Oh. Also, who treats you very well and with respect.

@Jillia Speaking on behalf of men, we never have an ulterior motive for our behavior.  Ha-Ru was merely assisting Dan-Oh in appropriate oral hygiene.

More seriously, your words are sound advice.  Although no man is perfect, look for a man who treats all people well and acts with love in all their actions.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

Since the writer is lack of creativity (wth with recycling conversation from his/her other work), I think Ju Da and Nam Joo will end up like those typical shojou manga ending, where both male and female lead will be together after facing through all obstacle and challenges together..

My take on how the ending of the drama will be...

Spoiler

- Dan Oh character might be 'killed' by the author despite of Haru and Baek Kyung attempt to save her from dying.

- But don't worry, Haru and Dan Oh will still be together, since they will meet, AGAIN, in another manhwa. Like how Ji Mi Chae and Haru end up appearing in Secret manhwa, it is not impossible for both Haru and Dan Oh to appear in another manhwa (or probably they just end up transporting there via the blackhole)

Like, Dan Oh after dying her soul end up being transported to the other manhwa, while Haru accidentally went to the other manhwa via the blackhole (he might be super sad after Dan Oh passing and somehow one day the blackhole appear infront of him and he just walk into it, I mean he felt like he has nothing to lose now, so why not go through that weird thing)

Probably this time, they'll be a super super super insignificant character in this manhwa (you know those nameless or sometimes faceless character in comic where the writer draw just because they want to fill in the background of the frame in the comic) And since they are super insignificant their action will not be restricted by the author and they will have their own free will. So, they could live happily ever after in the comic world :)

- It will be interesting if the manhwa is actually a follow up josei manhwa about SaeMi's life after graduating high school. She has accepted that she is not fated with Nam Joo, but ended up being poor since her family has gone bankrupt (you know like those typical makjang drama plot, where share partner betraying one another, etc). And since she is now poor, she need to live like a normal citizen, like struggling to save money, go to work, do house chores without any maid helping, etc

The male lead? Hurm it can be her colleague (her team leader/manager/department head) who is actually the son of her family chauffeur. The guy initially dislike her because her snobbish attitude in the past, but end up having a change of heart since he saw her different side.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. And now I'm writing those cliche storyline that has been used numerously by many drama writer. LOL :D

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what writernim will do in the remaining 6-ep

• Like 9

Enjoy all 10 episodes so far. I can smell the angst coming..

Interestingly the way they calling themselves as main character and extra character in this drama remind me of how privilege work. Take BK for an example, he is among the main cast, but he is not the main character ( I would say the main one are juda and namjoo). The way he wants everything to goes according to how it should be because as the main character you are "most likely" get your happy ending - this is a privilege. Extra characters no one care about them. The moment BK realize his "privilege" being threatened (feeling like he is no longer a main character)upset him and he wants everything to be reset back to how it was - when his character has the supporting roles.

In contrast with DO reaction at first when she found out she was just extra, this would be BK's denial/reaction when he found out he's in the comic; and he would like everyone remain in their supporting roles because he knows he is one of the main character. 

But then this episode, everyone starts talking how lucky it is to be extra character because you are sort of free in the shadow and you don't bound to responsibility of a main character on stage. To some extend, I believe in order to change the story, it has to be a main character though... because main character has more power? The way Haru changing the stage so far has been because he meddle with the main character (if you take away/distract the main character off stage, someone else is bound to take over the stage) Example:

1. The namjoo birthday scene. DO and BK took over the stage. (He spilt drink over NamJoo and told dohwa to take JD somewhere else).

2. The DO collapse scene. Saemi took over the stage. (This time he meddle with the main prop of the stage rather than a person).

Im curious whether what they tried to change in the flower manhwa, maybe someone else was brought into the stage instead and tragedy happened.

BK is one interesting characters with full of conflicts. But he is not the one for Dan Oh. I just cannot see them being together. 

Also did anyone notice the "Secret" theme comes more into play now when NJ mother was sort of threatening NJ about his secret?? Maybe NJ is not the real son or something :))) Maybe this is what secret is about. 

I also read the comic spoiler and aware of what happened to squid fairy. At this point with 6 episode left, I don't know if they will bring JD's being aware into the bundle to further complicating things.. I would be happy if JD is aware and we have a secondary couple (that is JD and Dohwa (boy Im a fan of this boy), but if JD turns out to be evil then i wonder what will happen... 

• Like 4

@stargazer187, except that whereas Danoh/Haru/Kyung triangle was tragic, I can’t see NJ/JD/DH following in the footsteps of Trumpet Creeper. The temperament of their love triangle is different. Do Hwa (aware) gave up on trying with Juda because he realized his interference at the party hurt “both”JD and NJ. That’s a key difference in the two love triangles. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1