[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

After watching the last 4 episodes. This drama is just getting good. 

I like that every episode one of the characters says that the writer with it's uncreative and uninispired things even the cheesy line/s.

I have sympathy for BK but for him to have DO is a no no especially if DO doesn't even like him at all.

Too much fluffy content in the last episode even though their's a bit of angst. Looks like more problem/s would arise. 

As for DSF, looks like someone's coming to Secret I think will affect him. With few episodes left hopefully they could resolve the plot lines they layed out. 

• Like 7

Girl I've been waiting for your post! :D @Jillia

I totally agree your opinion about Baekyung. I'm thinking exactly the same, but most of people kinda understand him at some point (even shipping him with Dan Oh) thats why I rarely say about him but I'm glad at least I'm not alone lol

I'm also too old to fall with an arrogant male lead who treat the girl like a richard simmons but somehow the girl is still in love with him. My exact reaction is like Dan Oh after the stage end lol, I dont want to be with baekyung even for a sec, I'd prefer to run to Haru asap :rolleyes:

I try to understand him but honestly I cant. In fact when I dig it deeper, the more I get annoyed by him lol.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

@baby.hae, Danoh realizes her time is running out. She wasted 10 years (an entire decade) of her life already and her condition is worsening daily. She’s increasingly in physical pain from her heart condition and it must be very frightening for her. If we put herself in her shoes, we should definitely understand why the moment the stage ends she immediately wants to find Haru who has done nothing but loved her sincerely. Yes I know that he only just last episode told her he liked her but “his actions” consistently demonstrate to her that he cherishes her. Particularly in the most recent developments he has said many things to reassure her and has shown her how much he treasures her. She actually made my tears fall last night when she couldn’t find Haru at the 100 year old tree and she began to cry. I understood her because every minute of her life is more precious to her now.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Finally sat down and watched episode 20.  I debated for a long time whether I could watch this episode having read some of the recap details.  I almost lost my wife at the beginning of the year due to her heart problem.  Her condition was something that we dealt with for the past few years and then it suddenly got much, much worse at the end of last year.  At the beginning of the year they finally had to perform open heart surgery to do a triple bypass and valve replacement on her.  I could really identify with the scene where Ha-Ru is sitting on the floor in the art room looking at the pictures reminiscing about his time with Dan-Oh.  It is funny but I never really thought about the major moments of our life together but instead remembered all the silly little daily life moments like cooking dinner together or just having a conversation over coffee at the coffee shop.  When Ha-Ru is sitting under the tree at night and just says, "Please.," that actually drew a tear.  I can remember sitting in the hospital waiting room, just praying that over and over again.  Not sure if I can sit through that part of the episode ever again. 

• Like 6
  • Love 11

On 10/24/2019 at 8:42 PM, nonski said:

The thing that recycling brought about in the new Haru is what we call "subconscious".  This is the reason why he hesitantly threw the ball to DO while playing dodgeball.  Apart from that incident though, the rest are just normal actions of a person, like him looking at DO.  Who would not when this girl suddenly comes to you and speak to you as if you know each other.  On the other hand, towards the end when he went back to school and went straight to his sanctuary, I think that will trigger for him to remember, to gather, all those things that are in his subconscious and recall moments with DO.

Still not done watching this week's episode, been kinda busy with the holidays but started with episode 9, barely, just up till the DO and DH keep stuffing food on Haru.  It was so funny but I was kind of elated that what I wrote last week was what exactly Do Hwa had in mind... DO in Haru's subconscious! yay!

Ok let me go back to sleep... I just woke up and checked if the other drama I was following finally showed up but even on Netflix it did not, again I must say I hate Korea's love for baseball!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

And I'm so curious why is DS said to DO to not repeat the same mistake like in the past, what mistake, loving HR or changing their fate?

I think because he (Squid) did that himself in TF.  He doesn’t have to do that in Secret because a certain someone hasn’t been written into the Secret plot.  So he can just sit back and watch because he has no reason to want it to change.  But this will all change next week because the object of his desire (or impetus to change the script) will appear.  

• Like 8

The drama has different story compared to the webtoon. Each has its own uniqueness, strength and weakness. But the core of the story is still the same. That's why i believe that DO HR will have happy ending because they do in the webtoon. But then i got so confused when the drama put BK in flower as DO's fiance/love interest. To make it worse JMC indicates that flower has sad/tragic ending.

From what we've seen so far DO will eventually die but spend and cherish her moment happily with HR. But isn't it too cruel for them? Yes they get to spend their moments together before DO dies but can't they just live normally doing trivial daily life things like usual people without worrying about stage they don't want to do? Where's the happy ending i got in the webtoon? 

@MinQi has the right possible answer for my confusion of the possible ending.

Spoiler

They'll end up in totally new manhwa and this time they will be happy. They may become the main couple of that new manhwa or extras with insignificant role in the story of the manhwa but can move freely to their own will. I like the latter better. And i think it fits the theme of the drama, that being an extra is good too.

And call me childish but i want a proper closure, not just them see each other from afar, lock eyes and smile recognizing each other but them being their silly adorable selves enjoying their time together while mocking the writer for the stage they do or see as spectators seconds ago.

Edited by bee_wannabe
Put some parts to spoiler
  • Like 12

Guys, have you ever wonder what actually happen to the characters in Trumpet Creeper after the comic ended? I mean, did the world just vanished or life just go on like usual and the oblivious character just continue living their life using the pre-set characteristic and background that the author has created in the comic.

Let say the comic world did not vanished after the comic ended and all character will continue living, however now since the author has leave those character own their own (because the author did not continue the story), does that mean the characters can do now whatever they please? If that's the case, Do Hwa and Baek Kyung can still have their own happy ending...

What might happen is..

Spoiler

You know like how often we wonder what actually happen to drama characters after the last episode that were aired? I mean, what if after the drama end the character choose to life their life differently from ending that the writer wrote.

For example, in Boys Over Flower, what if, I mean, what if, after the story end Ji Ho has a one on one face off with Jun Pyo and said that he is objecting the marriage for real and want them to compete for Jan Di affection fair and square this time. I mean, Jan Di didn't even said yes to Jun Pyo's proposal, so there is 50-50% chance that she actually might refuse his proposal. Her refusal might be because she wanted to focus on her studies and career for now. And since Ji Ho and Jun Pyo is now competing fairly to gain Jan Di affection, who knows what the end result will be. However, we may never know what actually happen after the drama ended...

Anyways, back to my point about how Do Hwa and Baek Kyung can actually get their happy ending in the drama.

Some people say that Ju Da might actually gained awareness and actually reciprocated Do Hwa feelings in shadow, but since the author wanted her to be with Nam Jo, so she cannot do anything about it. However, since the comic world did not vanished after the writer ended the story, Ju Da might end up living the way she wanted after the comic ended.

Let say the Secret manhwa ended with Nam Joo proposal scene and Ju Da accepted to marry him, once the final stage has ended, suddenly Ju Da said that she need to retrack her words. Something like this

JD: I'm sorry but I don't think I could marry you and accompany you to America (yes, yes I know this is so cliche :rolleyes:)

NJ: But why? I love you and I thought that you also love me too?

JD: Sorry if I had lead you on all these while and made you think that I actually have feelings for you. For all the good things that you had done to me, thank you. You made my school days bearable. And, thank you for being my knight in shining armor eventhough it was just a scenario that the writer draw.

NJ: Draw? What do you mean?

JD: Never mind about that. Anyway, I hope you'll find a woman that truly love you and be happy with her. I truly wish that. Oh Nam Joo, thank you and goodbye.

Then Jo Da went to search for Do Hwa and tell him what she truly feels and off they go creating new beginning for their story.

Meanwhile for Baek Kyung, after Dan Oh 'death' in Secret, he decided to turn a new leaf. Now he want to live a better life for Dan Oh's sake and he did not want to take life for granted because he know death can come to him anytime. After the comic end, he slowly try to change his problematic attitude, learn how to control his temper and leashing it at appropriate place. He might end up being an athlete (UFC or Judo or probably Tennis) and end up falling for someone else that he know through his journey of rediscovering his purpose in life.

I think that is the best way, the writer could end Baek Kyung story.

I mean, it doesn't mean he MUST be together with Dan Oh to have a happy ending right? As long as he got a better and happy life, I think I'm happy if he ended up like that...

I think this song can really speaks out about Dan Oh frustration about the writer and how the writer wrote her story

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MinQi said:

Guys, have you ever wonder what actually happen to the characters in Trumpet Creeper after the comic ended?

Well if you don’t like the ending...rewrite an alternate one.  Isn’t that what fanfics are?  I hear it’s quite cathartic  :D.  All that rage channeled into creativity. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Well if you don’t like the ending...rewrite an alternate one.  Isn’t that what fanfics are?  I hear it’s quite cathartic  :D.  All that rage channeled into creativity. 

That's dangerous advice :lol: I hear it's a slippery slope where you start with the intention of writing a quick fanfic but, instead, end up writing 5 more chapters than you'd planned because the show is so good and it's hard to wait for the next week. coughcough

On that note, I think I remember reading the manhwa spoilers about how 

Spoiler

the characters wind up in a dark and empty space of some sort, kind of like a comics version of purgatory, while they wait to be rewritten into a new manhwa... which really harkens back to all the earlier discussions about religion/fate/etc. Can't confirm this, though, since I'm only up to chapter 23 of season 2, and we haven't gotten there yet... but if that's the case, I'm hoping the show takes a different spin on it.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

Hiii, just newbie in this thread.

I'm in love with this drama. I noticed that Rowoon was in Where the stars land as second lead. But I must say he is so fine here as Haru. The story of Haru and DH in this drama will make you remember the first love heart fluttering feeling. The scenes were executed nicely by director. Who wont fall for this sweet charming Haru kekeke. And I love Hyeyoon's acting here. I like she portrays DH as bubbly girl, frank. So it's matching with shy, gentle Haru.

There's some scenes in ep 9, it's the scene which the students greeted Nam Ju's parent when they visited the school. DH and HR were standing among the students and cheered, but when HR saw NJ's father, he suddenly stopped cheering and quiet or like surprised to see NJ's father like someone he knew. Wonder if there any relation Haru to NJ's father before, in Trumpet Creeper. 

Anyway next week episode will be interesting. Dried squid's lover finally shows up.

• Like 3

@Jillia what i mean by that is 

Spoiler

HR and DO become extras in other manhwa. Not a high level extra with certain set up like BK, SM, or DO in the secret manhwa, but extra like tennis trio (trio that are seen with HR lately) Ban Jang, Bo Tong, Mo Bom. They only appear on the stage where crowd is needed but exist with name so that others recognize them too (unlike the beginning HR whom no one even knows he exists). Hence they'll have more free time due to limited stage as an extra and spend their time being normal couple just like they are right now in the shadow.

There you go another wild imagination of mine. :D

• Like 3

@Jillia, if Danoh and Haru don’t get their happy ending in this manhwa and instead end up in a new manhwa and get their happy ending, would you be satisfied?

I ask because I know that some viewers don’t like endings where the characters in the story dies and then are reborn in another era and the lovers in the new era finally meet in the last few minutes of the show. The criticism is that relationship development occurred in the original era and the new era lovers didn’t get any development. Of course this wouldn’t matter in Danoh and Haru’s case if they remember their love and development in the previous works. However, for me personally, if they kept falling in love across all their manhwa existences, I’m fine with that...like eternal love.

• Like 5