Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

I AM NOT A FAN OF BAEK KYUNG'S CHARACTER ON STAGE! LET ME PUT THIS OUT THERE. BUT!!!!!

I DARE ANYONE TO WATCH THIS AND NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM. THE SECOND LEAD SYNDROME I GOT AFTER WATCHING THIS :bawling::heartbreak: 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

Oh @leeminhosny I like the fliping sound inserted in the video. It's a trademark of stage act huh, :D Is that a song from SF9?? I like it. And I think I'll think to start digging through YT to find some good clips of them. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, SF9's Still My Lady and So Beautiful songs, you're welcome:thumbsup:

• Like 5

Every time I see Jinmichae on screen I want something to happen for him to finally want to change the stage. Hi's so passive about everything that's going on, if you look at it, his existence is very limited too. I really want something to shake him up a little so that he joins our gang in their fight for freedom. 

BTW, found this wonderful fan vid, the song fits so well too. I miss smiling Haru. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

@larrysouth @stargazer187

Oh! Now that you remind me of it I remember that I liked it very much how Dan Oh turned things around and kept dragging Ha Ru around by his arm. :lol: Yeah, I just really enjoy how this drama is commentary on drama tropes and clichés.

But in general the whole arm grabbing needs to leave the drama scripts... NOW! :D

I've also been thinking about my theory that Ha Ru may have been more of a nobleman than a guard. But now I'm not so sure anymore because he was carrying a sword when entered the fabric store and I think he was carrying one when he was looking at the flower pendant. So he could definitely be a guard. Maybe even Kyung's guard? Because Ha Ru has been protecting Kyung as well (from the ball) and stopped him from hurting himself by punching the window. So I guess this is still deep down part of his character left from the manhwa. I wonder how he met Dan Oh. Did he fall in love right away? Did he follow her to that store? I need answers! :wub:

And people on tumblr are trying to give me a heart attack with their creations:

bf197a40edac3c39684b4dc3553292e2acecac68

Credit: seoulitewriter

:love:

c6ee391cc67cc65c813f2fb88410fa190d0605bbf93421d4008f9d481a02fe88d197c1c66076dddb

Spoiler

bd7c65e709c111c5df5f3cb1e14fa0f594c038e82121cd5685721e7d48d8192b8fb5873214dea1a4

a499f09d0bbf8f90781f4763d4a79e789a0d5769b90e9908f7a2c4ec9c7082bb96e64d2f2f1d0271

d8531a785976644ba13980f757152b1025528c35281b83a5236f8db9cb0ff3b4d5d3bebee8b6adda

bb83aedaf26196c400d36bdc1540fb67eee289c3c429cf80e1a6051d9e46e3da9dbf826e4082074d

Credit: mufalo

• Like 8
  • Love 8

As it relates to BK/DO ship,  I can see where folks are coming from.  We should all have an open mind about two people and whether they choose to make a life together or not.  BK demonstrates personality traits of someone who is selfish, vengeful, and completely self centered but everyone deserves the chance to make changes in their lifestyle or character.  I also recognize that he has clearly had some tough circumstances in the shadow relative to his family history.  However, I see his family situation and abuse as an explanation of his behavior, not an excuse.  The behavior he exhibits toward DO once he has become aware can be deemed as growing affection and concern.  Unfortunately, when you try to discern a cause or reason in his changed behavior, it does not seem to register as love for DO.  Instead it comes off more as someone who has had his property or goods threatened and he is taking steps to retain that property, even though he was not at all concerned with that property previously.  Until BK views DO as a valued person with feelings that can be hurt and views their relationship as more important than his own personal wants; he will always come a distant second to HR.

Honestly, I do hope that BK in this series continues to grow as a person and overcomes some of his shortcomings.  All people deserve to be loved and he is no exception.  I actually wished they had used a different actor for the BK character.  I can't get Lee Jae Wook's character in Search: WWW out of my head as I loved him so much in that series.  For that reason I can't hate him as BK either.  However, I firmly stand in the HR/DO ship camp because in the end, I think that the HR/DO relationship would make DO the most happy. 

• Like 14

@larrysouth

I think my personal problem with people who ship Kyung with Dan Oh is that they find many excuses and disregard the many faults he has. Anyone can ship who they want and they're welcome to discuss it here. But I want a good discussion about him. I would like to see that people do not romanticize his behavior.

I definitely can see how bad his life has been with the writer taking away his mother, giving him an abusive father and a stepmother who could care less what happens to him. But as you said those circumstances are explanations, no excuses.

I want Kyung to have an arc which doesn't completely evolve around Dan Oh. I even said earlier... I had high hopes for the swing scene because I thought maybe when Kyung becomes aware he and Dan Oh could be friends, supportive of eachother. And the scene delivered but Kyung returned to his old jerk self no much later.

I understand understanding and redemption doesn't come just like that. But in order for me to really root for Kyung as a character, he needs to stop his weird revenge path towards Dan Oh and Ha Ru. I could even see Ha Ru and Kyung become buddies. Heck, if Kyung needs anything it's a friend who knows he is in a crappy situation and whom he can talk to. We don't even know what Nam Joo and Do Hwa know about Kyung's family. If you have no one to talk to... it's frustrating as well.

Also, I want to say this has nothing to do with Lee Jae Wook who is doing an amazing job with Kyung. So there is that. :D

On a cute note... Kim Hye Yoon saving Rowoon from a tiny bug. :lol:

baacd3f1b1e3e6bcc5f801974f747be219286204

2b3c73a60c1dc0a5f54ec160e33476f5dec689cd

1bd2e9defa727c4e62503c2a066a8e75f589ae76

Credit: sf9

• Like 8
  • LOL 8
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder though now that Ha Ru is back if Dan Oh is really willing to risk him disappearing again by making/letting him change the story? I wonder if this will lead to some conflict in the 2nd half of the drama. It would be interesting to see Dan Oh struggling. Especially now that we know that she acknowledged in a way that she missed Ha Ru so much and that she likes him more than she wants to admit.

The aesthetics in this gifset are killing me. :wub: Plus did anyone ever tell Rowoon to do hand modeling?

b8615c63e1ddad95b8f9216c654b6f16c4851768aff1766fa4eb20f2348035b9a78a2735e666e575

Spoiler

7e0ad29263624b7d784b028377342da668a4dd20cab0d17ba2ad5b9fb22bd1426303b47eb23c5d9d

5fa8859fd588f3fe0982c5315dc1dad7ba3f023261c85f45094c10f2d4afefac0f3bc0f6cb0e2c59

aba17134bcb56c7bcd76915d1eacb525c1aa896a0dfbe3beb5eaed144a580d7e111de0827377686c

0f41e4f87504b2a9735fa206c5baac139f097da45b5a4ab75cb2700a898cb6c7351674ee04abf874

Credit: okashiratsuki

• Like 12
  • LOL 1

Current theory percolating in my mind

Spoiler

Flower is a Sageuk comic where Kyung is betrothed (hence the 10 years reference in Secret) to marry DanOh (she’s a Princess? Or someone of noble birth) - their marriage was one of alliance (just like how in Secret it’s the parents who benefit from the marriage).  The black holes are links between the 2 Universes (plot lines).  Haru is Kyung’s guard or servant or someone of lowly birth in Flower.  That’s why he carries a sword?  He falls in love with DanOh.  And she in turn with him.  The other characters in Secret who seem to give us weird vibes (NamJu’s Mother, Kyung’s brother and Squid Fairy) are all characters in Flower as well.  Characters are recycled in comics (they all look the same anyway :lol:).  But once you move to a new comic, you lose your memories but you have Dejavu moments of recognition but because it’s not in context you can’t quite place them.  Like when Squid Fairy sees NamJu’s Mother and has a strange look on his face. And why Kyung’s brother can tell Kyung that DanOh is a nice person.  That’s why when Haru returns a second time, he doesn’t remember anything.  So far scenes in Secret is playing out like Flower.  Squid Fairy is the only one in the Secret Universe who has read Flower in full.  He obviously does not want anyone else to get ideas from it.  Whether it’s Kyung or Haru both who chance upon the book.  I don’t quite trust his character.  I am not quite sure how he fits in so far.  He seems happy to have characters gain self awareness but not so much that they interfere with the main plot line.  He seems to have a lot of background info eg he explains the story board, the stage/shadow settings.  Is he the writer’s alter ego in the Secret Universe?  Like how Stan Lee appears as cameos in the Marvel Universe :lol:.  Maybe that’s why Squid Fairy doesn’t want anyone to read Flower.  Secret Writer has plagiarised Flower. :lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Insightful 4

So finally manage to catch latest episodes :D 

Really hard to watch Dan oh struggle with losing Haru and him returning without memory. But also great way to establish how much Haru means to Dan oh. Seeing Haru frustration was delicious angsty. also the way he was grasping for air after Dan oh did walk away in the stair scene. oh man it was like he was struggling seeing her leaving him. 

This was great forward arch as he now have to figure out where they come from with his dreams.  Anyway great to have our Haru back! loved the scenes between him and Dan oh at the road. I can´t believe how much our man have gonna true just to save our girl already. even so he still manage to find his way back to her every time. it´s like there is strings between them bulling them back together :wub:

Regarding BK totally feel for how lonely he have been true the years and DO have been the constant friend in his life. this is why I think he have a hard time seeing her laying her eyes on another man. To BK DO have been the only person giving him unconditional love and maybe been the one lighten up is dark life. But this do not give him right to behave like she is his possession and she do not have any autonomy. Even in those scenes where he do show that he care it do not come off as pure intention with her wellbeing in mind. But he do seems to struggle with feeling that he gonna lose her. But yeah like the scene where he make Haru giving those flowers just comes off as he is taunting them and that he enjoys seeing Haru not remember....with that said I would love for BK to get away from his family though and can find peace with himself. this more than getting DO as I think this is more important for his character growth.

Seems like more characters are becoming self aware so curious how this gonna impact the manwha world. 

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Jillia said:

I also want to say. I really mean it when I say that I dislike all the arm grabbing in Korean dramas overall. And while I also don't like it when Ha Ru it does I also agree there is a big difference between how he grabs Dan Oh's arm and how Kyung does it - was it you who mentioned it @haelan. Plus with Kyung comes a lot of violence tendencies. He really grabs in a way it hurts Dan Oh. With Ha Ru, Dan Oh isn't afraid to pull her arm away and can do so easily without Ha Ru holding onto it. She is also never afraid like she is with Kyung. 

Just my observation. Still a cliché which needs to disappear from drama entirely. :) 

Just something interesting for your info (I hate the wrist grab too - it always looks painful in addition to forceful): over on When the Camillia Blooms, I learned that grabbing a woman by the hand without permission in Korea constitutes assault.  The free zone is between forearm and wrist.  Grabbing there is not automatic assault, but if the woman complains to the police it might constitute sexual assault (rather than assault?).  I just found this interesting because wondered if this Korean law lies behind all the wrist grabbing in kdrama, much more so than in other Asian dramas, and of course it's just not a thing in North America.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 5

First Love by Sonia:

I can't praise the OST enough... I like the BGMs and the songs. I hope they will release a complete OST for this drama. I would definitely purchase it.:wub:

I like as well how the editor and PD-nim solved the problem to show the characters in the shadow while being on stage.

61b314bf7a337465ba3f244a954c3ce88c6666c4

4f2e9dcae077907a97264c003700427410a25c81

bc3d0463cc6e5a9e7a1787a89678f14b7deb1a54

Spoiler

470cbaf442d8ab3bcb07209813e6fbb35deb9ab2

ecb945d0856416729bb88d0d95d1c7fd5d7c1d84

Credit: baek1nho

• Like 13
  • Awesome 1

All of a sudden why am I feeling all of the dialogues are being recycled by the writer!!! NOt just parts of it but like everything they say, in both manhwas!! lol:sweat_smile:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

@Jillia Since DO thought that Haru was the only one who could change her fate, I have been thinking that Haru could also change BK's fate. Maybe Haru has the skills to change people's fate, not just DO's destiny. Let us not forget that he can draw so well... so he has a connection with the writer. Furthermore, his quick thinking made it possible to change the scenes in the manhwa. In other words, his abilities resemble the skills of a manhwa writer.

Besides this would explain why Jinmichae would resent Haru so much as he embodies the opposite of him. Jinmichae might have experienced the opposite in the past... he came from another manhwa and each time, he tried to change his fate and his lover's fate but he always failed. By experiencing failure each time, this might have impacted our cook so much that at the end, he resigned. 

That's why I think that by becoming BK's friend, Haru could have such an impact on him... he might even intervene and stop BK's father from assaulting his son f. ex.  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 7

25 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Jillia Since DO thought that Haru was the only one who could change her fate, I have been thinking that Haru could also change BK's fate. Maybe Haru has the skills to change people's fate, not just DO's destiny. Let us not forget that he can draw so well... so he has a connection with the writer. Furthermore, his quick thinking made it possible to change the scenes in the manhwa. In other words, his abilities resemble the skills of a manhwa writer.

Besides this would explain why Jinmichae would resent Haru so much as he embodies the opposite of him. Jinmichae might have experienced the opposite in the past... he came from another manhwa and each time, he tried to change his fate and his lover's fate but he always failed. By experiencing failure each time, this might have impacted our cook so much that at the end, he resigned. 

That's why I think that by becoming BK's friend, Haru could have such an impact on him... he might even intervene and stop BK's father from assaulting his son f. ex.  

I agree.

I also rewatched the first episodes and I noticed how Jinmichae admired how much Dan Oh wants to change her fate. He said something like "in the beginning most [characters] have high ambitions/hopes". I guess that brought Jinmichae closer to me on an emotional level. I really don't think he is downright evil or even a villain. I think he is a recycled character who in his original manhwa tried to change his own fate but was unable to do so. And now he is getting pushed from one manhwa to the other. I think he has become bitter and as I said a quitter since he can't change anything. He has become frustrated. 

So Ha Ru must look like this absolute powerful being to him - even though Ha Ru struggles as well. As we noticed, just because you can change storyboards doesn't mean things will get better or have no consequences. But still... at least he got some control over his fate while Jinmichae doesn't have any of that. And I guess in the sageuk it was just the same. His story was maybe even happening aside from the main story and he noticed how Dan Oh and Ha Ru back then as well tried to change the story set for them.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2