[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

2 hours ago, Jillia said:
  Hide contents

read from many blogs that people feel triggered by Kyung's behavior because they experienced abusive relationships as well and the way Kyung treats Dan Oh is A+ example of being abusive. And this was like a reality check for me. I'm definitely not a fan of Kyung and I absolutey acknowledge him as a abusive character. But the fact that there are people out there who get anxiety just watching him on screen, treating the people around him like he does and being violent, is on another level. If someone is reading this who did survive abuse, know that someone is here you can talk to if you feel triggered by Kyung's behavior.

Spoiler

@Jillia, this is exactly the reason why I said episodes ago that I wish they would tone down the violence of his character. I have seen violence right before my eyes either on subway trains or on the streets of NY. It’s very scary to see people act violently and even when you’re not the target, you never know how things would escalate to include bystanders especially in an enclosed area. It’s a very threatening feeling. Even adult men and women will scoot away and call the police. Even seeing Kyung kick down the garbage bin last episode is disturbing. He has way too much anger going on and he’s always breathing out threats and intimidating people. It’s time for him to change and I’m not exactly sure what it would take. 

Also, while he might be asking the right questions about their world, his “motive” is obviously self-serving to maintain the story in his favor and under his control. Heh.

• Insightful 2

netizen comments :

(+43,0) Rowoon is the best! Haru is the best!!

(+12,0) The day I found Haru.. I really found them.

(+11,0) You must be have a hard time but I will always cheer for you!

(+10,0) He's so handsome!

(+8,-1) Rowoon is so handsome~ You really did well!

• Like 4

SF9’s Rowoon Shows Off His Versatility Through His Character In “Extraordinary You”

SF9’s Rowoon Shows Off His Versatility Through His Character In “Extraordinary You”

With every episode of “Extraordinary You,” SF9’s Rowoon is being more acknowledged as a versatile actor.

“Extraordinary You” tells the story of a high school student named Eun Dan Oh (Kim Hye Yoon) who discovers that she is a character in a manhwa (Korean comic). When she meets a nameless extra in the story who she later names Ha Roo (Rowoon), she decides to go against her predetermined fate and find true love.

Not only is Rowoon drawing attention with his good looks and tall physique, but he is also in the spotlight for his diverse acting abilities. First, Rowoon portrayed the naive, silent Ha Roo, a nameless extra in the story that no one paid attention to. Later on, Rowoon acted as the cold, sharp Ha Roo who forgot all his memories of Eun Dan Oh and was loyal to Baek Kyung (Lee Jae Wook).

sf9-rowoon-2.jpg

Amid these developments, a new story suggests the characters’ past started in a manhwa called “Trumpet Creeper.” Rowoon is able to pull off the historical look with his hair pulled up in a traditional style and dark blue guard suit. He showcases a new charm that gives off a different charisma than before.

Rowoon fills the small screen with fantastic visuals that are in full swing regardless of the genre from historical dramas to modern ones. He placed second in the list of top ten buzzworthy drama actors, proving his improving acting skills.

cr:soompi

• Like 4

Ha-Ru demonstrated a very interestng new skill that no one else has previously done.  In episode 20, Ha-Ru was able to predict that a stage was about to start.  Unlike Dan-Oh who has premonitions about a stage and then can feel approximately when a stage will begin because of the premonition circumstances, Ha-Ru was able to look at the environment in the present time and knew a stage would start soon.  This allowed him to change the heart monitor from Dan-Oh's wrist to Sae-Mi's wrist.  This ability is a very powerful skill, since this allowed Ha-Ru to make some adjustments prior to the scene and actually change the stage.  I am fascinated to find out if they plan on making this something that he uses in the future to change their fates in the Secret manhwa.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

13 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

Ha-Ru demonstrated a very interestng new skill that no one else has previously done.  In episode 20, Ha-Ru was able to predict that a stage was about to start.  Unlike Dan-Oh who has premonitions about a stage and then can feel approximately when a stage will begin because of the premonition circumstances, Ha-Ru was able to look at the environment in the present time and knew a stage would start soon.  This allowed him to change the heart monitor from Dan-Oh's wrist to Sae-Mi's wrist.  This ability is a very powerful skill, since this allowed Ha-Ru to make some adjustments prior to the scene and actually change the stage.  I am fascinated to find out if they plan on making this something that he uses in the future to change their fates in the Secret manhwa.

But the writer draws the changed stage....so is Haru the writers subconscious or connected to it...so he has a bit more freedom but writer has ultimate control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand with 16 episode format, its hard to flesh out everyone. But Kyung is criminally underutilized is my observation. He needs more screen time with Dan Oh meaningfully and more fleshing out to make case for his angst ridden behavior.

• Like 5

I am rewatching the earlier episodes and in episode 6, when Dohwa plays the violin he says it's called Pleasures of Love when he tells Juda his feelings! I had forgotten about it, so i wonder since Juda said it in the latest episode, she must've been aware around that time...I didn't make that connection, i just thought she was being positive haha

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4

9 minutes ago, Jillia said:

They should've started his redemption arc episodes ago. 6 episodes are barely enough to give him some kind of satisfying arc. Which is why I'm only counting on him in regards of his manhwa investigation.

The window was when Haru went missing snd made his amnesiac comeback...now I am counting on his investigation as well...maybe it would teach him something about his world.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@larrysouth @Nymeria289

I was wondering about that. Because with Jinmichae saying that even the changed stages are already drawn by the writer, I wonder how much of the plot is already set in stone.

I guess it doesn't really matter how many times Ha Ru will change the stage it won't erase Dan Oh's illness and therefore stop her from dying. Just like Joo Da said... she can't do anything on stage because the plot demands her to be with Nam Joo, no matter if she likes it or not.

And honestly I don't think this is what the drama is about.

@Nymeria289 & @Jillia

We need to be careful about applying rules of physics and reality too much as to what can happen.  The beauty of comics is that we can suspend rules of the world.  Hence why we can have super hero comics, supernatural comics and time travel comics.  Since Secret stage and shadow scenes occur within a manhwa, who can say whether the writer comes back to the drawing pane and suddenly says, "Hey where did that drawing come from?  I don't remember drawing it like that?"

@Jillia However, I would agree that this is not a major plot point of the series.  I think it has more to do about what are our perceived roles and can we breakout of those roles.  I am not talking about Dan-Oh's role as a terminally ill patient.  What is much more interesting is how she decides to live her life with the knowledge that she may die any day.  I think this series speaks more to how one can live one's life regardless of the circumstances we are placed in: terminally ill, arranged marriage, poor, in an abusive family situation, etc.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 5

6 Episodes to wrap everything up (main plot). + the incoming DFS (or is it DSF) plot? +++ the Joo Da/ Do Hwa  subplot  Is it enough? I'm just going to trust them.

Those gifs regarding Haru and Dan Oh looks really good and nice design to convey the message.

As for Rowoon I can definitely see him as a versatile Idol Actor (Only few can achieve this and he's on this way to this one in my opinion). He's expression/s especially the eyes are great. 

For LJW can't wait for his next drama hopefully a different role as well.

For KYH hoping she can be lead again. 

Spoiler

As for the Kyung's abusive tendencies. Yeah I agree with the other posters here. We get where it is coming from but hopefully they show how would Kyung address it. But with the fewer episode I hope they can shoe it in. 

I agree with @Jillia hoping for Kyung's happy ending is release for his abusive father +++ letting Dan Oh go, plus redemption from him. 

As for Do Hwa / Joo Da, I want Do Hwa to be happy but I don't think it's with Joo Da. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, ganko said:

I am rewatching the earlier episodes and in episode 6, when Dohwa plays the violin he says it's called Pleasures of Love when he tells Juda his feelings! I had forgotten about it, so i wonder since Juda said it in the latest episode, she must've been aware around that time...I didn't make that connection, i just thought she was being positive haha

Hi @ganko!  In reviewing that episode, do you recall if they are in stage or shadow when the scene takes place between Joo-Da and Do-Hwa?  That would make a difference since unaware characters would remember anything that happened in stage.  However, if it happened in shadow, then you are correct.  She would have already been aware by the time of that scene.

8 minutes ago, Jillia said:

It definitely more of a satire than anything else but without being too funny or too serious about it. Just the right balance. I definitely would agree. In the end it's about having fun while watching. And just enjoying what we get out of it. :D Just sometimes I really keep wondering. Plus the characters really challenge us to theorize about how the concept of story changing really works.

I agree completely.  This is a series that is funny, romantic and serious all in the correct amounts.  I would go so far as to say this is probably my favorite series of the year.  It drew me in from the very first episode.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

I understand with 16 episode format, its hard to flesh out everyone. But Kyung is criminally underutilized is my observation. He needs more screen time with Dan Oh meaningfully and more fleshing out to make case for his angst ridden behavior.

Along with Dan Oh they should also show some more scenes of him with his family. Baek Kyung's character can be very interesting if it is well utilised. We need to see his struggle and how he managed himself all these years to completely understand him. It doesn't seem like Dan Oh wants to be friends with him which is somehow understandable given his 10 years harsh treatment towards her. He is close with A3 but it doesn't feel like he will ever share his problems with them. So his brother seems to be the only person from whom he can take help. He seems to genuinely care for him though he is suspicious sometimes. While writing this I realized just how lonely BK is :tears:.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

Hi @ganko!  In reviewing that episode, do you recall if they are in stage or shadow when the scene takes place between Joo-Da and Do-Hwa?  That would make a difference since unaware characters would remember anything that happened in stage.  However, if it happened in shadow, then you are correct.  She would have already been aware by the time of that scene.

Not sure! I was thinking since he plays the violin, they are in stage mode but since he also confesses i wondered if it's in the shadow. Because he can't make his own lines on stage right? Afterwards, Haru mentions that she won't remember, but Dohwa says he has to tell her anyway. It's a bit confusing. But i was thinking that the melody is really named Sorrows of Love and that Dohwa changed to Pleasures of Love for his confession. I don't know, just an observation haha

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Hide contents

Btw... I have to laugh at those who find DanHaRu couple boring. You know... I rather want a boyfriend who treats me with respect and warmth and adores me to no end than a man who keeps dragging me violently around. But maybe that's just me... :P

Spoiler

You are not the only one. I would also want a warm and gentle boyfriend who will love and adore me like Haru than those tsundere guys whose love depends on their mood. Like nice to me one moment and then cold to me the next.:lol:

• Like 4
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, Jillia said:

@brielover

Definitely a interesting theory.

In the beginning I thought as well what if actually anything happening - even in the shadows - is part of the writers storyboard? Who tells us that Dan Oh and Ha Ru aren't actually the main couple in this manhwa and the reader (like we as the viewers of the drama) slowly finds out about it?

What if the secret in this manhwa is actually the shadow part of the comic - that characters exist and act outside the stage and fall in love? I mean there is no real indicator for that but at the same time there is nothing speaking against my theory. Because nobody, not even Jinmichae, completely understand how this world works.

In the end that would of course be a bit unfair because that would mean that the characters, no matter what, have no control as they believe they have. Just like Jinmichae said: that anything is already drawn. And it would go up against what the drama is trying to convey that even if you think you're fake you still can have a life and personality and dislikes.

It's definitely going to be interesting how the drama will resolve all this in the last 6 episodes. Because I hope they do it in a way it makes sense and it just leaves Extraordinary You as probably one of the best highschool fantasy romances. :D

I don't think that even if they are in the writer's mind the characters have no control.  My understanding of how polarizing an exercise this could be comes from trying to write a Harlequin Romance over twenty years ago.  There was an actual written formula that could be followed, and I'd had some success with short stories, so thought I could churn out a HR with ease to make a quick buck.

Wrong.  It was difficult to churn out even a chapter.  Every word and sentence had to be rigorously controlled.  Characters constantly said and did things that didn't fit the formula, because writing fiction is an artistic expression after all, so any flow, any unrestricted honesty or artistry, had to be endlessly corrected.  It was like being strait-jacketed.  You'll find this in any writing endeavour during the editing process but this went well beyond that.  The lasting impression for me by the time I gave up, and how I remember that sorry writing attempt, was an icon on my desktop representing a loony-bin filled with my strait-jacketed characters. I don't ever want to open that front door door again! (And of course I can't because that computer used floppy discs for back-up!)

To writers, some of their characters are alive.  They do and say things that are logical progressions of their personalities and experiences.  That's how it works and the better developed a character, the more a writer can let go, because the character writes him or herself.   

But the overall formula does not come from the writer; it's a planned framework of tried and true cliches, that the writer must adhere to for money and marketability and publishability. 

I don't know if I've described this very well, but I do think it's true, and it's definitely the dynamic I see in Extraordinary You.  The writer's most well-developed characters are writing themselves in Shadow, and the catalyst for this free will is the writer's own avatar, Haru.

I was explaining somewhere else about the alternate title: Suddenly One Day.  John Gardner in The Art of Fiction once said there were only two real plots (debatable, but still a dictum): 1) the character goes on a journey; or 2) a stranger comes to town.  Fiction exercises in how to books often began with a stock story starter, and the student had to run with it, and this one is the cliche: "Suddenly, one day, a stranger came to town".

Haru's name means one day.  So we have the pun: 'Suddenly, Haru, a stranger, came to town.'. And the plot begins there.  Dan Oh paints the picture of the status quo of her life and school in the first episode, when suddenly, there's a shift in her consciousness, self-awareness begins, followed by the discovery of a newly-identifiable boy in school and a watery black hole in the sky.  'Suddenly, Haru, a stranger came to town".

Haru is the writer's spoiler, sent to wake up the townsfolk.  But at the same time, the writer has to sell his or her story, so she's split between quelling Haru and the woken characters and giving her imagination free rein, translating into the character's free will.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 5