[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

I haven't watched the latest episode but it seems to me that BK's personality and mentality hasn't changed from Trumpet creeper. Back then, BK wanted Haru to remain by his side and now, he is asking the same thing. He requires from Haru to act as his follower, the one who helps BK to shine as a second lead. In other words, although he is now self-aware, BK wishes that the original script from manhwa is not changed at all. His biggest wish that DO loves him for real, just like in the manhwa. He wished, Haru to remain his guard and not love DO.

To sum up, BK represents the total opposite of Haru and DO. Unlike them, he doesn't want to change the story, when it comes to HR and DO. He wants to be in the center of the love story. He would like that the fake becomes real which is not going to happen. Haru and DO wish the exact opposite: the fake disappears and the true becomes real...

• Like 8
  • Love 4

What if

Spoiler

Like the secret manhwa, at the trumpet creeper writer makes Dan Oh end up with Baek Kyung. But, it's turns out that the three of them aware of their existence as manhwa character. Dan Oh love Baek Kyung at stage, but she love Haru at shadow.

Haru and Dan Oh fall in love deeply, and want to change their fate so badly, but they found that they can't change it.

Dan Oh really loves Haru. So she doesn't want to end up with Baek Kyung. But because her set-up, she knows that she can't be together with Haru.

Because of that, Dan Oh stabbed herself with sword, right on her heart, so she can die and hope this story never happen again later (because the story keep repeating)

Because of this, she have heart sickness at secret manhwa, and the story that she wanted to avoid, happened again.

Oh my imagination :sweatingbullets:

• Like 5
  • Insightful 7

Woah! They kinda referenced a really famous scene in manga called Ao Haru Ride with that sweet scene in which Haru and Danoh were facing each other while resting their heads on a desk

b8ad5622a779be172aae2d0b7c3e683f738d950c

Spoiler

80990e6a5dd8c7d06859db6349ba829a3d1f56ce

167d60ca0a0afde88031cba70310f4d476b3a711

Also, somebody mentioned in an other site that the drama director's previous work was the Seaguk The King in Love about a king, a princess and a bodyguard (and the princess apparently falls for the bodyguard?!), and that he might playfully reference it as well in the Seaguk part of Extraordinary You with Kyung, Danoh and Haru.

• Like 13
  • Insightful 1

Now, I am wondering if Haru is different from the other characters because he doesn't belong to that story initially. It was outlined many times that Haru's beginning is unknown to which Haru replied that he would find his own answer. Since even Jiminchae has no idea about Haru's origin, I have been thinking that Haru might have been from the start the disturbance element in the manhwas. After appearing in Trumpet creeper, he fell in love with DO which somehow ended in a tragedy. That would explain why Haru is the only one who can change the scene on stage as he doesn't belong entirely to the story. Additionally, it would also explain why Haru can remember the "past", scenes from the manhwa "Trumper creeper". Maybe the story is repeating itself, until Haru is able to really fit in the story: he ends up with DO. Maybe the page from the manhwa showing Haru as main character next to DO and BK is the final stage of the story... maybe he started there as an extra as well...  

• Like 12
  • Insightful 3

https://youtu.be/4Wqun122kDs

Danharu's first kiss bts(naver version):wub: omo why they are soo cute...:love:

Has aware juda fallen for dohwa or namjoo i can't understand that part....

Dried squid fairy will finally have a story of his own now i hope he helps to change the writers story (sry jimichae for thinking that u were a villian:sweat_smile:)

Danharu hugging scene was so painful...after being separated for so many days when they saw each other they knew what their fate is leading towards and they were soo helpless:dissapointed_relieved:...

• Like 11
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, renjunnie said:

What if

Reveal hidden contents

Like the secret manhwa, at the trumpet creeper writer makes Dan Oh end up with Baek Kyung. But, it's turns out that the three of them aware of their existence as manhwa character. Dan Oh love Baek Kyung at stage, but she love Haru at shadow.

Haru and Dan Oh fall in love deeply, and want to change their fate so badly, but they found that they can't change it.

Dan Oh really loves Haru. So she doesn't want to end up with Baek Kyung. But because her set-up, she knows that she can't be together with Haru.

Because of that, Dan Oh stabbed herself with sword, right on her heart, so she can die and hope this story never happen again later (because the story keep repeating)

Because of this, she have heart sickness at secret manhwa, and the story that she wanted to avoid, happened again.

Oh my imagination :sweatingbullets:

Brilliant!!!

This is the best drama of 2019. Meta moments, references to other works, working in tropes etc that normally make you cringe. 

Lets talk about that kiss for a min. Does anyone know where I can get a box to stand on while kissing my LO? It looks like a fairly common prop. They had one in SLOMS... Maybe amazon? An extra 10-20cm would make the world of difference. I’m down for one of us carrying it around if it ends the neck ache. 

• LOL 12

By the way, is anyone else scared for Kyung after his brother’s desperate warning?

I’ve been saying since the beginning the writer has included a curious symmetry between Kyung and Haru, and that impression strengthens every episode. It goes further than that they are two men in a life triangle with Dan Oh. I’ve put forward a number of theories for this: Kyung and Haru are two sides of the same person; Kyung and Haru were brothers in a previous ‘life’/book; Haru was Kyung’s bodyguard (he is protective of him even in Secret) in Flower, etc.

Someone says (Squid Fairy?) that only Kyung can change the stage. His brother desperately tells him not to change anything.  Why?  What is the brother afraid might happen?

But we ourselves are already seeing a major change: Haru is taking on Kyung’s status, as athlete, as scholar, and as Dan Oh’s love.

I think he should be very very afraid. With Haru in the picture, he’s becoming disposable. And if this story requires someone to die, and Dan Oh is able to avert that fate…?

• Like 6
  • Insightful 4

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Now, I am wondering if Haru is different from the other characters because he doesn't belong to that story initially. It was outlined many times that Haru's beginning is unknown to which Haru replied that he would find his own answer. Since even Jiminchae has no idea about Haru's origin, I have been thinking that Haru might have been from the start the disturbance element in the manhwas. After appearing in Trumpet creeper, he fell in love with DO which somehow ended in a tragedy. That would explain why Haru is the only one who can change the scene on stage as he doesn't belong entirely to the story. Additionally, it would also explain why Haru can remember the "past", scenes from the manhwa "Trumper creeper". Maybe the story is repeating itself, until Haru is able to really fit in the story: he ends up with DO. Maybe the page from the manhwa showing Haru as main character next to DO and BK is the final stage of the story... maybe he started there as an extra as well...  

DO willed Haru into existence in Secret.  He wasn’t meant to be there.  She needed a saviour when she realized her plight.  That’s why he was initially faceless (like in the comic), we didn’t see his face till ep4 (?).  She willed him into existence.  She named him.  Initially he was voiceless, he just did as he was told by DO (no will of his own).  The beach scene was the first time he exercised his own will, he chose to disobey her order to save her as she waded into the water.  That’s why he suddenly could speak at the end of that scene.  He found his own voice.  He could change the scene because he was not in the character profiles and therefore outside the writer’s control.   He even changed the stage at the party.  That was significant.  Because in effect, the spotlight was now on BK and DO, not DH and NJ.  His character continued to grow so much that the writer had no choice but to remove Haru1 and draw him in as Haru2.  Now that he was drawn in as an extra (and his face in the character profiles), he could be controlled just like all the other extras.  His memory was wiped as a result.  But DO’s stubborn refusal to forget Haru1 resulted in Haru2’s self awareness.  By penning him as BK’s friend in the reboot, the writer has inadvertently copied the storyline in Trumpet Flower where HR is BK’s faithful servant.  So HR2 now sees in his dreams the memories of TF.  In this episode we see that he’s pushing the envelope even further.  He’s making the 3 of them become leads in Secret now (just like in Trumpet Flower).  Thereby relegating NJ/JD/DH into the extras/supporting character roles.  That’s why suddenly the dynamic in the NJ/JD/DH relationship has changed in this most recent ep.  This whole scenario could’ve been the same in Trumpet Flower, she willed Haru into existence there too?  I don’t know.  

Problem I have is that I don’t see a happy ending for the leads in Trumpet Flower.  I see HR sacrificing himself to save DO.  I don’t know if we will see a Romeo Juliet type ending.  My only comfort is the promise they made by that 300year old tree.  That they will always “meet” despite all odds stacked against them.  That they will keep living lifetime after lifetime in different comics hoping one day the writer caves and gives them their happy ever after, which may never happen.  But that’s not the point.  It’s not about their final ending, it’s about their now (the present), making the best of the time they do have regardless.  I quite like that line of thinking.  Because it’s one thing to bemoan our lot in life and wishing to be dealt a better hand, but it takes a great deal of maturity to think beyond the circumstances and live the best life with the hand you’re dealt with regardless.

EDIT - actually I find that death crystalises what’s precious in life.  When you’re faced with the finality of it all, you cling to things that are dear to you.  It gives you added urgency and everything that happens has holds a greater meaning.  You enjoy the sunshine, you enjoy the friendships, you are less likely to be annoyed with trivialities.  That’s why even for the audience, the moments they shared in last night’s episode holds more meaning.  It’s due to the backdrop of death.

• Like 10
  • Love 6

Just a question: why are people saying JuDa is aware?  I have been assuming the hints that she's not exactly the perfect good girl can be attributed to a revenge 'secret' plot in which she is involved, not to her awareness of the comic.  Can someone pinpoint how to figure out she is aware?  Something to do with stage versus shadow?  Or a spoiler, lol? I'd like to know cause I can end speculation in another area if she's indeed aware.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

All of this is entirely possible.  He's almost like a virus initially, that attacks the system, and when the system strikes back, he returns as a retrovirus, imitating its host (Kyung) in preparation to taking over from its host.  I'm sure no one wants to take this view of darling Haru, but the similarity is definitely there!

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

1 hour ago, brielover said:

All of this is entirely possible.  He's almost like a virus initially, that attacks the system, and when the system strikes back, he returns as a retrovirus, imitating its host (Kyung) in preparation to taking over from its host.  I'm sure no one wants to take this view of darling Haru, but the similarity is definitely there!

Potentially he is DO’s guardian angel.  That idea was floated a lot with DH.  And seeing HR and DH’s characters intersect, it would make sense. #13 is DO’s guardian angel hovering until she calls, protecting her even when not summoned (the staircase incident when she falls).  I feel like now that we know HR will step into the shoes of DH’s character in Secret, we need to take a look at DH more to get a handle on HR. 

EDIT - I think the Tree of Life has appeared in the story :lol:

@Jillia I wasn’t talking about HR’s awareness (as defined by the drama) as such above.  More like a character growth?  But yes he was his own individual being from the beginning.  Yes he acted as he pleased because he was pretty much just #13.  And he could act of his own free will and spoke to himself most times.  He didn’t really exist in the Secret world.  Just like angels I guess if we take that analogy.  They make appearances in our world periodically.  But when DO named him, he came into being in the ManHwa world.   It cemented his place in the comic world.  Frankly I don’t like supernatural introductions into dramas, it’s often fraught with potential inconsistencies.  But we’ll see if this is the route the writer has opted for. It kinda all fits...the stained glass windows in the beginning episode.  The fact that he just appears suddenly and the fact that he has no beginning.

• Like 3