[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

@Jillia, my heart was breaking for Dan Oh during that scene with the bouquet of roses. It’s especially painful because the bouquet in that context is supposed to be a romantic gesture and here is oblivious Haru bringing the bouquet to give to another guy to give to the girl who loves him. Imagine how Danoh must have felt experiencing that. :tears:

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I LOVE THIS SHOW 

How many shows / actors have a lead character cry so much and still keep us hooked? 

DO is amazing. Haru broke our hearts. And BK (magically) is no longer violent—while this is v abrupt, so the mysterious writer writes. I think JD is becoming aware—finally since I want more women aware (this is my only gripe with the show). 

Re DO not hugging back—I felt for her. I saw it as her being so exhausted that she just needed to be held. Their hand holding was so much more intimate and comforting than just a hug. It reminded me of the line in Romeo and Juliet : and palm to palm is holy palmers kiss. 

Cannot wait to binge watch 10eps next weekend when I have the place to myself :lol:

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

I just can't wait for that Chinese Trumpet Creeper Manhwa revelations........for starters that world is so much more colorful and lush.....I am a sucker for well visualized sageuks but I have a feeling its very heartbreaking for our 3 leads/extras. I mean, what is the worst that could happen if they figure out what had happened there, Why does it look like Mi Chae will loose it every time somebody finds that book, what's his connection. Also did anybody not wonder yet, when do we get our kiss?? And more importantly which lucky boy gets to have it?? I hope Haru.........but Kyung may get it as a part of a setup or is it a PG-13 Manhwa. 

Also everytime the F3 or Namjoo, Juda scenes play, I half expect Boy over Flower ost "Making a Lover'' to start playing in the background.....am I the only one?? :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

There's been much talk regarding Dan Oh's decision to give up on making Haru remember...I think the fact that she's jealous has a huge part in it. Her ego was really hurt upon seeing Haru having a 'good' time with the other girls, and treating her only as an extension to Beak Kyung.  Also she might be feeling less confident, because Haru being an actual 'extra' character now with a proper name and setting, and all those other 'healthier' girls to hang out with, he might prefer their company to hers. Earlier, he didn't really have a choice since DO was the only one who even remembered him. So it probably had a lot to do with her insecurities about being a 'sick' girl (thanks to Beak Kyung).
In addition she feels guilty for having almost 'killed' him in the first place, and she does not care to see that happen ever again.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

Geez, so bad. It's the shadow and not on stage. Means that he did it on his free will. It makes me unhappy totally for him. Like he did all of that not to please DO sincerely. He should have patched up things between him and her with good memories to recover all those years he missed. I guess all of his efforts was only about confirming HR and it's actually what made HR quickly remember his old self. BK has sown the wind by testing him to do all those stuffs and he'll reap a whirlwind when HR's back. 

Sorry to cut your post,  imo BK already knew HR was starting to become aware, he saw HR struggling in his “not aware” mode (HR grabbed his hand when he asked DO that he wanted to go to school together or in the laboratory scene), it’s something he couldn’t prevent anyways. Rather than testing HR, i think he wanted to show DO was his and he had more power than HR also to show HR was helpless and can’t do and shouldn’t do anything about it. I assumed he didn’t believe that only HR who can change the stage. That’s why repeatedly he asked DO to trust him that he can also change DO’s fate or stage.  Too bad he didn’t realize his action also can hurt DO.

Anyway i’m little bit confuse, at first BK was more dominant, looking how he shoved HR to the bookshelves, but after that everytime they were on altercation, It looked like HR can suppress BK, like when in the class room scene when BK forcefully grabbed DO’s wrist, or when BK wanted to bring DO to the clinic after DO was annoyed by BK’s fangirl or when he shoved BK to the swimming pool. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Jillia said:

I LOVED that scene on the stairs. I loved how Ha Ru ran after her, asking her why she would say he isn't Ha Ru. I loved how she walks away but it's the hardest thing in the world. And as soon as she is gone, Ha Ru is gasping for air like he had to hold back so many emotions. I just adored this scene so much and it's underrated.

6 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

You know I keep replaying solely to this part. It was pretty sad plus it's a great one too. Their acting on that is superb! I can feel HR frustration of not remembering her but deep down he feels something for her. The moment he asked her why she keeps telling him he's not HR while rising his voice and grab her hand, she confirmed it as the proof he's not the same HR she knows. Telling him that he shouldn't remember her from now on since she gives up changing her fate and she's just an extra waiting to die. I cried for her. Sighh... it is painfully beautiful scene. 

YES PLEASE! Why aren't we talking more about the stairs scene? While I was watching the episode, this was the moment that really caught not only my surprise, but my emotions (aside from the ending ofc). Glad to know I haven't been the only one replaying this part like a maniac (hehe @stargazer187;)). I'm not even sure where to begin, so excuse my jumble of words if it becomes so. I loved, loved, loved Haru's internal conflict throughout this episode, especially because DO has been trying SO hard to protect him and herself. The way that Haru was so compelled to grab DO's phone from the bullies, without even really knowing why got to me. His frustrations are so palpable in this scene, and the air around them has suddenly become so heavy. And yes he was mad, but he wasn't BK-esque mad. Just purely frustrated and tired of not being able to understand. Yes, he raised his voice at DO, but there was no trace of pure, unadulterated anger. I loved watching Haru's eyes falter when he spoke, for me it was like he knew he shouldn't be yelling at DO, but couldn't help it. Yes, he did grab on to DO, but I don't think we talk enough of how gently he did it as well (when compared to BK). The second time he grabs her, his heart and his mind are practically pleading. And when he finally lets her hand go and slams his hand in frustration...OOF (also did anyone notice Haru's eyes scrunch up a little when DO says "See? You're not Haru") So many emotions -- I have to give it to Rowoon. He is doing extraordinarily (:D) well and I am here for every second of it! This scene just broke my heart into even MORE pieces (like this whole week hasn't been already, let's be real) for both of them, but I was especially focused on Haru this time around. He's being torn apart inside and it's killing him so much. I think my favorite part of this whole exchange was that it made me wonder "Why can't DO just tell him if she knows he won't even remember?" and then I realized that's not only too painful for her tell him herself, he had to figure it out himself. I was just really moved by both Rowoon and KHY's emotions in this scene that I started crying and didn't even realize it.

Also! Did anyone notice that:

Spoiler

TlHOzAU.png

His shirt in the beginning is black

CDYRgds.pngAnd aside from the black shirt again in this scene, there is also the red print on Haru's shirt that says "Rebel" (although the last letter was blocked out with black tape, probably for copyright issues but anyways). Rebel! Haru fighting the emotions and the thoughts that DO leaves him to linger with. Given the nature of the directing and writing of the drama, I don't think this was 100% unintentional. After their scene here, we don't see Haru again until the stairs scene where...

ZBYOIJV.png

...he is aware, and he remembers, just not the memories with her in it. And his shirt is white!

And finally! :wub:

X6ZxMMv.png

I won't deny that my heart has gotten a little soft for Kyung's efforts, but I just can't completely bend his way for multiple reasons, with the largest being that his decisions are still very centered around him. Ofc, as many have mentioned, he's not going to change overnight but I had hope! He knows how much pain DO is in, yet I feel like he's subtly forcing himself on her now that Haru is "gone". He didn't even give her time to grieve what she had lost, and made cryptic statements such as "But I remember everything, Dan Oh" (as if to imply: "But look at me! I remember! So why are you still fixated on him when he doesn't, can't and won't remember?") or "I'll help you change the story". While he has been aware for a while, he hasn't taken the time to understand what it's like from DO's POV (which she made known to him in Ep. 7). He doesn't know what DO's experiences were in the Shadow since she's been aware, yet instead made it about him in his especially disappointing scene by asking Haru to bring the flowers. I hated that scene so much, it was literally a slap to both DO and Haru's faces. Kyung still doesn't get it. And I really hate to compare, because the two are at very different situations, but at least Haru is constantly trying to figure things out. I really feel his yearning for DO's affection, but she's made it very clear to him that her heart doesn't belong to him, and never has. It made me sad to see how he was in instant defense mode when Haru asked about the flower key-chain because he was afraid that he was starting to remember. Kyung's movements aren't entirely pure (in both motive and execution) in the sense that it revolves around what he wants, and not what DO wants and needs. I'm really looking forward to Haru's voiceover from the preview for next week "Are you afraid of me coming back?": is he saying that to Kyung (which I sure hope so, so he can properly confront Kyung about DO and her feelings)?

---

EDIT: I'M BACK. I literally posted this a second ago but a thought occurred to me.

Haru's scar: my initial theory was that he happened to go back into Flower (he walked into the portal after hearing the constant turning of the pages), right into only that scene that explains why and how he got the scar. There's fresh blood too, so that was my initial impression, that he managed to walk right into when it was happening leading up to his then awakened state that remembers DO. But it occurred to me that that might not be possible, because in the preview, it's implied that Haru doesn't know the truth of his past yet, and both him and Kyung seem to be on the hunt for Flower. My second theory is that once his memories of DO came flooding back, he found himself with a cut and fresh blood, like it just appeared there to signify his awareness, but more specifically his memories with DO, because when it was shown that he was already aware during the stairs scene, he didn't have it yet (since he wasn't completely DO's Haru). Another theory I've been seeing floating around is that he might have cut himself to trigger the memories to come back.

Edited by haelan
Forgot to explain my thoughts under spoiler!
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 3

BK : I told him to buy me some flowers. 

It seems like we're close.

Thanks.

70609816_2451202068535791_56687167638195

EHs_ZGqU0AApLWg?format=jpg&name=large

:bawling:Baek Kyung and Flowers 

Spoiler

Baek Kyung hates flowers.

But his Mom likes them.

She believes that Flowers sent by his father were Genuine. 

That's why he don't like flowers. 

• Like 8

I love this show so much I’m still trying to catch up on all the pages in case I missed anything good. But in the meantime I’m losing track of my theories so before I forget, I’m going to share my thoughts in hopes to hear what you guys think of this as well. Man I adore this show.

I’m going to start my predictions of this inception-like kdrama universe with the webcomics main leads. I don’t mind if JD is actually ‘evil’ behind her mask. I mean let’s say she does end up being still nice and in the end after all the bullying by peers and belittling from adults she gets her happily ever after only in the end while these people that have tormented her the whole time and only get a slap on the wrist? It would be so unfair that once everyone is nice to her and finally accepts her, is fundamentally at the very end when there’s her ‘happy ending.’ If villains in kdrama can be so easily forgiven, then why can’t our lead be an antihero(or antivillain, depending on how you look at it). I’m all for JD’s revenge/ambition. You go girl! I have a feeling DW would accept her even in her darkness (obvious by this who I ship JD with) but NJ will think he was used and he most likely was but wait-why would he get a free pass for this when he’s also guilty of treating JD badly? I don’t care if his whole ‘errand girl’ shtick was to protect her indirectly, treating someone you supposed in love with as a slave is far from romantic in my eyes. That’s why I’m sitting back and enjoying him as well as his mom get a run for their money...quite literally. Is the ‘dark’ side of her intentional by the writer or a product of being self-aware? I am leaning towards the latter only because if I were her, I would resent the writer so much for giving her every misfortune. Not only is she an orphan, she’s poor and bullied at school. I would be an extra in a heart beat (no pun intended) because it seems there’s so much suffering that comes with the expense of being a main female lead in this webcomic. Ideally if DW and JD end up together, then NJ and SM can be together(kinda of like what Do and BK would have been since in both set ups the girl was pining over the one sided crush for years)

HR and DO...I am looking forward to seeing their ‘past lives’ scenes. I do wonder if the high school was maybe the palace way back then, hence the flower garden we see on campus has remained there despite morphing from palace to school. (For the area that they found the keychain while on school trip, that could be the town where the noble and peasant characters lived). Random, but a detail that stuck out to me was how HR would wrap the tennis racket for BK. I wonder if this will be a parallel in the other universe, maybe with swords?

Essentially this show gives me much food for thought, like are the characters even self aware because of themselves or the worse writer is always making them self aware (or at least ability to, therefore making the high school webcomic itself about a webcomic characters that become self aware they are in one. So what I mean is the writer intends for them to be self aware-it’s apart of the webcomic story. Or is this completely out of their control and all of the free will from the characters????) it’s fascinating to me how the writer in this world mirrors a god in the real world. And how what could be characters recycled from an old story to a new story, is like someone being reincarnated from a past live like in real life. It’s all just so mind blowing. Are we just all characters in a story too and stage is our day while shadow is our night when we sleep?

• Like 11

@angelbeast90 Thanks for the answer.:wub: So there are only two books but due to the change in the subtitles, it confused me. 

Like many others posted, I think that BK has not redeemed himself in the last two episodes. He might have been nicer to DO sometimes, yet it was all about himself. He wanted to take advantage of the situation. First, we shouldn't overlook that BK left DO behind on the track field. He never tried to help her to stand and give back her shoe. Then he hurt DO immensely when HR appeared with the flowers. He even said that now she should experience how he felt, when he had a similar experience in his eyes. So it really showed that BK was somehow petty.... Deep down he clearly hopes that DO would love him back, since there is no one who really loves him in this manhwa. Even his "followers" stopped pursuing him, when HR appeared. What BK doesn't understand is that in order to be loved, he needs to show more love and care and be less self-centered. BK is definitely selfish as he prioritizes his own situation. The fact that he thought first that DO wanted to change the story in order to become the main lead... No, she wanted to change her fate: she doesn't want to die, which is a normal reaction. The rivalry between HR and BK is not over.

Striking is that there is no real love triangle anymore between LDW, YJD and NJ. LDW gave up on YJD and in my opinion, this had an effect on our female lead. She is written to get attention from LDW and NJ, so this might be the trigger for YJD to get self-aware. My assumption is that JD will hide that she is now self-aware from LDW and the others and use her position to get more and more. The more LDW will ignore her thinking that the couple NJ and JD can't be changed, the more YD might get upset...

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

I’ve decided to delurk and first, thank everyone for their insightful thoughts and recaps. I immensely dislike school dramas and have avoided watching them but this drama has me

hooked. Like some of you, the stair scene with HR and DO was so riveting - seeing HR in such a different light. Admittedly I have biases, so while no disrespect to fans of a number of this drama’s actors/actresses, who are doing great acting in their own right, I would like to see characters who are shadier/meaner/less deserving of our pathos. The different types of love (friendship/familial/romantic) and the degrees of sacrifice (someone else/oneself changing the storyline which may affect one’s own or another character’s existence/happiness) are intricately and delicately linked and have been thoroughly captivating. Kudos to PD, writer, crew and last but not least, the actors and actresses!

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

P.s Just a side note, I read that this flower is actually mildly poisonous and can cause skin rash. 

Maybe the author inhaled too many pollens from trumpet creeper while walking down an alley and is now hallucinating multiple story lines at the same time!! lol:lol::sweat_smile:

EDIT: One constant value is the same in all story lines ie. the flower , trumpet creeper!

b6

PS: Sorry I cut your post to not include pics.

• LOL 8

Late to the party.  Sped through all the eps so this is the vibe I am getting.

Currently the scenes between the scenes in Flower and Secret are intersecting. In Flower, DanOh and Haru are the main (?) characters. In Secret, they started off being extras. Haru didn’t even have a name and only DanOh remembers him (from another comic). But inadvertently (?) DanOh named this extra character #13 (I wonder if it’s a play on 13. In the Chinese (Cantonese) when you say 13 with a slight variance tonally it means “always alive”). He ends up being a character in the comic Secret (now even with his own face). I feel like Ep 10 at the party when they are trying to hook JooDa up with DoHwa was when they rewrote all those pages…that’s why the Ep has those comic pages intermittently appearing after each scene plays out. Haru makes the ultimate sacrifice by rescuing her from the swimming pool. And then he disappears. But not before he makes this declaration before Squid Fairy, “I want a different fate for my character too. I don’t want to be an extra that can vanish whenever the writer feels like it. I decided to be the only person who can change someone’s fate. If there’s no answer as to how I came to this world, I will make my own answer.” That to me is the key. He had no beginning. So chances are he will have no end. He resurrected and penned himself back into the story. He became the writer? That would make sense as to why he can draw so well. All ManHwa writers draw well? There was also a weird “glitch” that I noticed when DO was in the hospital (stage) with her dad. He asked her what she wanted and she said, “I wish to get married tomorrow.” Then she gasped and clapped her hands over her mouth as if to say why did I say that? And the scene replayed again, this time she said, “In my next lifetime I want to be your daughter”. That little slip up was strange because it was weird given the context of the setting? She was in hospital, sick and thinking of impending death so the latter statement would’ve made sense not the former? Was that a scene from Flower? Squid Fairy did say in an earlier episode that the only way an extra could escape their fate was if they became a main character? Something to that effect. Haru is attempting to do just that I think.  It would be nice if we knew what parts DanOh and Haru played in Flower.  I think DanOh may have been a princess - she mentioned that when they were on the school excursion to sightsee and where they found the old keychain/tasseled trinket.  Why was it buried there?  Was it because Haru and DO were lovers in the comic Flower but they didn’t get their happy ever after because of Kyung?  A bit like NamJu/DoHwa and JooDa?

This scene in the book Flower (Is the guy in the pic Haru?  Or is it Kyung?  I don’t recall Haru having the long hair locks down the sides of his face?  In the scene where she falls and he catches her with his back).

Spoiler

3176498-C-7-E18-4698-B814-120307-C8080-C

A141-A9-E6-BA73-40-C7-9819-011-C9-A4-B37

Plays out in Secret

Spoiler

5-F78-F8-D7-F287-49-A1-B462-9-CEF4666470

Spoiler

14-F27-E62-F0-A8-435-B-8-BE1-F1-A1-C67-D

As for Squid Fairy, I have a few theories about him.  It’s strange that he lets them read Secret but he doesn’t want them to read Flower.  Going to the extent of burning it to keep the pages from them.  

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2