[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

I might be overthinking but there is this thing that bothered me a little bit: 

In the hug scene DanOh didn't hug Haru back. She only slightly clutched her fingers around his...

It might be simply because of the directing (you know, those directors asking for fish eye kisses and emotionless hugs in kdramaland...I hate them!) but I doubt it, because til now the director seems good and not the kind that would refrain the actors from showing proper skinship when it's due. It could also be because DanOh it too overwhelmed at the moment, which made her....numb... But, remember that forest hug? I know she was scared and probably also thought that he wouldn't remember the shadow so she went for it and just hugged him veeeeeery very tightly (God! that hug was the cutest and most beautiful thing ever due to their hight difference... I am truly not over it yet! She hurried her head in his chest and MY HEART!) So...I expected DanOh to hug him as tightly as she could, now that he is back!!! You know!!!!! But she didn't and that makes me a little anxious because I think that she is currently conflicted. She is obviously happy he is back, but also afraid of the consequences. She already made up her mind, she won't rebel against the writer in order not to lose her Haru again, and even if the Haru that was in front of her wasn't her Haru, she didn't want him to disappear again. Now it's even worse, HER Haru is back (YAY!) but he is telling her that he will change her story (NAY!) I think that at that particular moment she was both relieved and anxious, and that in the next episodes her mindset would be "I am willing to die anyway so I better die happy! = Spend as much time in the shadow as possible with Haru all while preventing him from meddling with the story because if he does it might hurt HIM!" 

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1

I admit I enjoy watching Baek Young as a character - he is intriguing and LJW’s portrayal of him is flawless. It’s a kind of love-hate relationship on my part, though. He makes me angry but when he stops being a jerk and becomes heartfelt he can literally melt and break hearts. He has this huge potential of becoming a second male lead sydrome (and I low-key feel it). However, everytime I’m ready to jump on the BY Redemption Bandwagon, he turns into a complete a**hole.

ZEq66Y7.jpg

This scene is the perfect example. BY knows Dan Oh is emotionally attached to Haru, that she might even love him, and Haru feels the same. Moreover, he’s started to suspect that Haru is becoming self-aware again and possibly starting to remember everything. BY sets that awful meeting not only because he wants to show Haru that Dan Oh “belongs” to him but also because he wants exact his personal vendetta on them both for making a fool of him, as he believes, not caring in that moment that he’s hurting DO. It’s clear he wants to protect her but when it suits him he doesn’t mind becoming the reason for her pain. Self-absorbed, jealous and holding grudges.

6m079JF.jpg

Still,  as much as I hate what BY did I get why he did it because the writing and his character development explains it perfectly. He’s never had a support system to teach him better. It’s not an excuse but when he has never known better it only makes sense that he won’t change overnight. He is learning to be a decent human being but it will take time and time is something BY doesn’t have in his relationship with DO. I truly believe that had BY realized that he’s in a comic book sooner and treated DO with the same consideration he is only starting now, she would have fallen in love with him and Haru wouldn’t stand a chance because he entered the story much later. Love is all about timing, and even more so in Dramaland, and Baek Young missed his which he might end up regretting forever.

yI5GUaG.jpg

• Like 5
  • Insightful 7

@applefrenz i also noticed that JD and BK brother had this strange expression that showed they're also become aware. Does anyone watch web drama love playlist? BK bro is actually one of the cast from that web drama and i love him there being the cold but caring Ha Neul. So here i am wishing he will play an important role more than just being BK bro in this drama. Here's my wild theory about BK bro He's actually DO fiancee in the other manhwa (the flower manhwa). In the flower manhwa he liked her but she liked HR, but he accepted that as long as DO's hapy. Thats why he told BK he actually liked DO but was fine as long as BK was sincere with DO, because at least they can be family.

@fieza1871 i share the same sentiment with you about the difference of BK and DO condition when they came to school. I keep making excuses like, well DO went around a lot and even talked with JMC before going to the library. But then watching it again, DO actually went to swimming pool first before looking for JMC and the ripped pages were already there which means that BK arrived first. Despite the fact that DO left the hospital earlier without even changing her clothes, BK's still ahead of her, which doesn't make sense to me. But it's a drama anyway not everything needs to make sense sometimes i just need to enjoy the show.

From DO pov JD is a main role that will have happy ending in the end and other characters play a role that will make her bond with NJ stronger. Unlike DO she doesn't have her life sentenced to some short period of time because of disease. But to be really experiencing it is not that easy. She gets bullied a lot, needs to do part time job, takes care of her grandma and now deal with controlling NJ mom. So i think it will be interesting to see how the story unfolds when JD is aware and how it will affect the whole dynamic between all of the main cast. 

• Like 12

I think when baek kyung ask haru to buy flower for him, baek kyung is trying to make haru remebee dan oh? Or maybe still testing if haru remember dan oh.

Do you guys realizw, in the sageuk manhwa, i think its baek kyung is the one who give flower to dan oh in sageuk manhwa

I think that secret is the reincarnation or modern versiin mahwa of flower. And that is why they are some part that repeating. But maybe foe some reason the writer did not put haru character in secret.

I mean everyone feeling is kinda the same on shadow except dan oh. Baek kyung still like dan oh on shadow. Do hwa still like juda when shadow. And i think juda realy think do hwa as a her guardian on shadow during in hospital scene

Poor baek kyung. He get the girl but not the girl's love. No wonder clamp stick to the pairing when they do crossover manga

• Like 6

@kawaiibooty  The same point I have noticed as well: how DO and Haru are willing to sacrifice themselves for each other. Selfless love.   DO is willing to follow the story set by the writer (in which she is dispensable anytime)  as long as Haru is back.  She is willing to distance herself from Haru as long as he returns.   On the other hand,  Haru is willing to endure the pain of his wound as long as he can help DO change the story (to make her wish come true that is to live). 

This drama also reminds me how death is imminent to all of us.   DO wants to live her life to the fullest because she knows that she is just an extra with terminal illness,  the writer can make her die anytime (as she said to BK) .  In some ways, we also don't know when our time is over.  No one knows but it could be any time,  any day. Got to live our live to the fullest as well!

• Like 9
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, ainipang said:

I think when baek kyung ask haru to buy flower for him, baek kyung is trying to make haru remebee dan oh? Or maybe still testing if haru remember dan oh.

Do you guys realizw, in the sageuk manhwa, i think its baek kyung is the one who give flower to dan oh in sageuk manhwa

I think that secret is the reincarnation or modern versiin mahwa of flower. And that is why they are some part that repeating. But maybe foe some reason the writer did not put haru character in secret.

I mean everyone feeling is kinda the same on shadow except dan oh. Baek kyung still like dan oh on shadow. Do hwa still like juda when shadow. And i think juda realy think do hwa as a her guardian on shadow during in hospital scene

Poor baek kyung. He get the girl but not the girl's love. No wonder clamp stick to the pairing when they do crossover manga

I’ve noticed this too that everyone’s feelings are the same on and off the stage which is inconsistent with Dan Oh because she’s the only one who’s feelings on/off the stage is different. I feel like maybe in the beginning before she became aware, she really did like BK on/off the stage but once she became aware, she realized that there were no real reasons for her to like him when he’s just a jerk all the time... and her constantly reminding BK that she never liked him kind of makes me sad... it’s really unfair to him that although his feelings for her were genuine on/off the stage, hers weren’t. I wonder why everyone’s feelings are the same except for DO.. maybe it’s because she came from another manhwa so her heart will never belong to anyone but Haru’s... 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, deandraluv said:

@kawaiibooty  The same point I have noticed as well: how DO and Haru are willing to sacrifice themselves for each other. Selfless love.   DO is willing to follow the story set by the writer (in which she is dispensable anytime)  as long as Haru is back.  She is willing to distance herself from Haru as long as he returns.   On the other hand,  Haru is willing to endure the pain of his wound as long as he can help DO change the story (to make her wish come true that is to live). 

Haru was also willing to risk his life to help change Danoh’s fate. Don’t forget that Dried Squid had warned him of dire consequences if he persisted in helping Danoh. He later told Dried Squid he still intended to help Danoh despite any repercussions he would suffer. That’s “real” love. It’s not just a feeling. It’s supported by his actions and the way he treasures Danoh. I really like the fact that no matter how the manhwa writer forces an unwanted fate on Haru, he keeps seeking out Danoh in successive stories to find her and protect her as explained in his character descriptions posted on this thread last week. 

• Like 7
  • Love 4

@Jillia since you shared that beautiful gif of a certain ab scene in the woods, I wrote something to go along with it, a scene I wish would have happened:

(it's SFW, no worries) https://archiveofourown.org/works/21143951/chapters/50381165 

:joy:

@ryanallright You can find season 1 of the webtoon (translated) here: https://ww2.mangafox.online/july-found-by-chance

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

WoW theories on Dan Oh/Haru were characters from another manhwa were spot on:thumbsup: Honestly, I'm just a casual viewer looking to be entertained LoL:lol: Having to rack my brain on theories & stuff are exhausting. But it makes for good reading which I enjoy so far eheheh.

I'm on the fence on Kyung...still. He's still unpredictable (very much like this drama) I like that Haru's back 'cause Dan Oh sobbing just pains my heart~ Sae Mi is just awful & that sinister smirk Ju Da gave her seem to indicate she's not your typical candy girl.. Is it just me who finds it annoying everytime the girls scream & throw themselves over the A3 guys? Haru included?:unamused: No, just me? (shrug) ok whatever.

Idk why Dried Squid guy has this stunned look LoL whenever he bumps into Nam Joo's mom..? I get the feeling Kyung's bro know somethin' on Dan Oh or does he crush on her too? He seem to genuinely like her which is more than I can say for his big bro:rolleyes: I want that Yellow shirt Do Hwa is wearing - so cute! Also Dan Oh's smartwatch ha-ha. 

I question Ju Da's feelings for Nam Joo..she's faking it to reap benefits for her sick grandma I presume.. she appears to be torn for her feelings toward Do Hwa.

• Like 9

Hi everyone! Thanks for everyone’s insights and theories! 

@Calligrapher

Re: your FF - :thumbsup:

Love your style of writing and thank you. Hope this drama inspires you to write more!

I don’t think I’ve cried this much in a drama since Healer. DO’s expressive tears and swollen red eyes are gut wrenching. This is my first time watching something of Kim Hye-Yoon’s and as a drama watcher over 12 years, she’s climbed the ranks of my favorite Kdrama actresses in a week. lol. Can next Wednesday come any quicker? lol. 

• Like 6

@Jafstar Thank you so much for the kind words! This show definitely makes me think more than I want to, and thinking always leads to writing... :joy:

@angelbeast90 Thanks for sharing the clip! Since I don't speak Korean, there was something incredibly powerful about just re-watching this scene just for their expressions. His apology for being late and the way you can see his breath hitch when he processes the tears in her eyes and realizes how she's breaking down even more, just argghlsdalk;l. I'm so honestly impressed by the acting in this show.

Also, I loved the reveal with the sliced hand the first time I saw it, but now that I'm really focusing on the movements this fifth time around... rather than it being a smooth turn of his wrist, the fact that they showed his thumb slowly, almost jerkily raise came across as such a great indication of his state of mind--that hesitation but the need to reveal that it's really him. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, deandraluv said:

I am curious  about what really happened to Haru.   If you notice,  at the ending scene,  Haru's palm looks like it was recently cut, whereas before,  it was completely healed and we can only see the mark of the cut.  

Beautiful ending! 

Yea agree ... his cut is new. I can see the blood. Did he purposely cut the hand to show dan oh that he was haru that dan oh waited.

• Like 6