[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

Maybe Haru held on to a branch of trumpet vine and cut his hand. He was trying to remember and the images were so vivid that his head started swirling so he held on to the branch too hard and cut himself!

Also I read on HGTV that trumpet vines are invasive so the writer has no choice in the matter coz it will invade every story she/he writes. Lol:sweat_smile:

https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flowers-and-plants/groundcover-and-vines/trumpet-vine-will-grow-on-you

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4

3 hours ago, brielover said:

You know, this manwha Secret is a formula based on previous kdramas, most obviously Heirs and Boys Over Flowers for me.  It would therefore make sense that Flower is a knock-off of popular kdramas too.  Because something came up about a princess, I suggested on another blog the Princess's Man, Queen Inhuyans Man...but isnt there o ne along these lines that specifically deals with drowning?  Rooftop Prince?  I can barely remember it.  But that was a drama where his beloved princess dies by drowning - actually doesnt his present day character die by drowning too? - and he and his F4 gang journey from their makjang Joseon sageuk into a modern day rom-com.

It seems possible Flower was based on kdramas we would recognize, so maybe the drowning thing stems from one of those kdramas?  Out there, maybe, but fun to speculate lol!

That sounds like Rooftop Prince indeed. The Prince thought his wife (the elder sister) drowned, but it was the younger sister (FL, his original betrothed) who drowned, but was made to appear like it was the elder sister. It would be a real twist if Flower was indeed based on Rooftop Prince, because the actor (Lee Tae-Ri) portraying DSF played one of the Rooftop Prince's time travelling entourage :lol:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

11 minutes ago, Jillia said:

It looks like I will work even more this week. So not much time to reply. But I wanted quickly throw in a thought about the scar. What if... since this is magical world, it's simply a effect of Ha Ru remembering not only Dan Oh but also his self before he became an extra with a setup? Like the scar appeared out of nowhere simply because it was part of his sageuk character. :) 

That was actually my impression too.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, chubbz said:

That sounds like Rooftop Prince indeed. The Prince thought his wife (the elder sister) drowned, but it was the younger sister (FL, his original betrothed) who drowned, but was made to appear like it was the elder sister. It would be a real twist if Flower was indeed based on Rooftop Prince, because the actor (Lee Tae-Ri) portraying DSF played one of the Rooftop Prince's time travelling entourage :lol:

Oh wow, and that's why we have A3.  There should be a fourth!  I had no idea he was in that.

This show makes me smile, even if what it's sayi ng is all in my head.

• Like 3

Why is Namjoo's mum a generous miser who throws money towards Juda. What else does she want other than Juda stay away from her son? In a way Juda should become self aware coz this will empower her to take over the chaebol family. But I feel so sad for Namjoo though. But will the writer allow such a thing to happen.

Anyways Namjoo's mum is seriously giving me queen mother ( te-bi-ma-ma 대비마마 )vibes. But whose mother is she in "Trumpert Creeper", I wonder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 4

Another tidbit I gathered from the internet: the Chinese Trumpet Vine (Lingxiao Flower 凌霄花) blossoms around the lunar 5th month and stays in bloom until the 8th month.

As far as I know, one of the most well-known festival (both in China and Korea) during that month is the 5th of the 5th lunar month, the Dragon Boat Festival, known as 端午节 (Duanwu Festival), and 端午 in Hanja is written as 단오 Dan Oh in Hangeul.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 6

Instead of Rooftop Prince, I think the writer might use Scarlet Heart/Moon Lovers as the reference for the drama.

The reason why I think SH/ML is the reference that being used:

- the drama is in Goryeo era

- the female lead is time traveling

Spoiler

doesn't in the webtoon ending, the writer mentioned that Dan Oh character will have a follow up story, where she will be time traveling to ancient time

- have drowning scene (well the female lead end up time traveling when she is drowning)

Anyway, I have to see more of the Flower/Trumpet Creeper scene to decide which periodical drama that they use :)

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jillia said:

I just wanted to say I've been working a lot these past days and have to work as well today but I will definitely get back to all the awesome theories and thoughts later today or tomorrow. :D

I know with Ha Ru being back to his old self....

I'm also sure something of the new Ha Ru is still there as well. Plus because he is now an extra with a setup it means like Dan Oh that he will have a role to play on stage. So if a scene demands it the writer will just move him there. But I still hope we will get many cute moments between Dan Oh and Ha Ru. :wub: Like this:

Since we still have half of our season to go, I am sure we will see several plot twists.  The one that comes to mind first is that they may give Ha-Ru a stage love interest.  It would be ironic if it was Sae-Mi.  Then they might force the stage couples DO/BK and HR/SM on some sort of double date.  It will make for some serious discomfort for our couples when they blink from stage to shadow and back.  I am not saying that it will happen for sure but I can definitely see writer-nim doing this.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, angelbeast90 said:

Why is Namjoo's mum a generous miser who throws money towards Juda. What else does she want other than Juda stay away from her son?

Nothing - its like paying her to leave him alone - after everything what she did for her she should be grateful and leave the family alone. Its a trick the mother played.

19 minutes ago, MinQi said:

The reason why I think SH/ML is the reference that being used:

- the drama is in Goryeo era

- the female lead is time traveling

Did I miss something? Was is said that the female lead from Flower is a time traveler? Was she even the lead?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Did I miss something? Was is said that the female lead from Flower is a time traveler? Was she even the lead?

I did put my thought in the spoiler since the thing that I mentioned is actually the ending in the webtoon. Since the drama doesn't really follow the webtoon, so must take everything with grain of salt.

For those who are curious about the webtoon ending (someone did a summary at tumblr and share it)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, MinQi said:

I did put my thought in the spoiler since the thing that I mentioned is actually the ending in the webtoon. Since the drama doesn't really follow the webtoon, so must take everything with grain of salt.

For those who are curious about the webtoon ending (someone did a summary at tumblr and share it)

Someone said the webtoon was still ongoing - so I got confused - and I somehow missed the spoiler - thank you very much for sharing it.

Gosh - this drama will kill me I guess.

Spoiler

Someone else said the webtoon will end with her dying in BK arms - I was not happy with that too...

i am relieved....

but still so sad...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Someone said the webtoon was still ongoing - so I got confused - and I somehow missed the spoiler - thank you very much for sharing it.

Gosh - this drama will kill me I guess.

Reveal hidden contents

Someone else said the webtoon will end with her dying in BK arms - I was not happy with that too...

i am relieved....

but still so sad...

PD and writer for the drama said they have changed part of the manwha story  so I think the ending will be different :) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Nothing - its like paying her to leave him alone - after everything what she did for her she should be grateful and leave the family alone. Its a trick the mother played.

Ok! My train of thoughts galloped away too fast and did not want to write a fan fiction on this so I stopped from commenting more. It was like after years of sending Juda money . Juda becomes someone influential and brings Namjoo's mum under her thumb! LOL

----------

Can't help it I keep reading into her actions as maybe one day she is going to be antagonist towards Danoh and Haru!

https://66.media.tumblr.com/9c27cfdd6d259958ac99a984b52b2f67/tumblr_pyu7j9IfSL1w73lqxo1_400.gifvcredit

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Jillia said:

It's an ongoing webtoon and it's different from how the drama adaptation is. :) But the webtoon writer expressed a lot of satisfaction with the drama version. :D

Its finished....there's even a spoiler thread somewhere here

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Oh really? Somewhere at the beginning of the thread someone said it's still ongoing. Thank you for correcting. :D

I was confused anyways that people were talking about how the webtoon is still ongoing but at the same time there are spoilers for an ending. :)

I guess the confusion came from the fact that the English translations are still ongoing but the Korean version is already done.

BTW, I was thinking why exactly is the manhwa titled "Secret" if it's simply a teenage love story about JD and NJ? What exactly is the secret? There's nothing secretive about the main leads.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I can't get over that wonderful final scene of Episode 16.  I have worn out my replay button.  One thing that has been bothering me is that in that scene, HR has his right hand on the back of DO's head and then his left arm is around her back.  Then the scene moves to a close up where his left hand is holding her right hand.  Then the camera is back at the original angle where HR's left arm is around her back.  So either HR has 3 arms (2 left and 1 right) or there was a slight gaff in how they edited this scene.  Maybe the magic of HR getting BK to release him every time BK gets HR in a shirt hold is to use that extra arm to break the hold.

However, it does not spoil the scene for me at all.  I still love it.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5