[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

I have (or at least i want to have) faith in drama production team that they will keep the quality of the drama and make their own unique story. I will have my E3 and other characters have their own happy closure.

We still had lots of stories that need to be covered and questions to be answered. 

JMC, HR and DO story in the flower manhwa. I expect at least 1 episode (but i hope it will be at least 2 episodes) fully dedicated to the Goryeo time.

JD gaining her awareness and how it affects others especially the direction of the secret manhwa.

I will put the rest in spoiler due to its relation to the manhwa

Spoiler

- DO weak heart and how it will push BK to team up with HR trying to delay her death. Those who read the manhwa will know that there are so many crucial touching moments that evolve around this plot.
- DO and HR rekindle their story in the flower manhwa

With lots to cover and their need to maintain the quality of the drama. I wish they won't do or add unnecessary subplot like DH choosing to reset his awareness or other girl who will interfere HR and DO relationship.

OMG OMG the spoiler!! Now i'm really curious to BK brother's role to the story. I ran out of idea. This drama is truly unpredictable and that's one of its charm.

• Like 12

So basically, Haru and DO is never the OTP intended by the writer from both series? But somehow they fall in love with each other despite all odds.... 

Ladies and gentlemen, what we are looking at is basically non-OTP desperate attempt to write their own fanfic. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 6

58 minutes ago, bee_wannabe said:

I have (or at least i want to have) faith in drama production team that they will keep the quality of the drama and make their own unique story. I will have my E3 and other characters have their own happy closure.

We still had lots of stories that need to be covered and questions to be answered. 

JMC, HR and DO story in the flower manhwa. I expect at least 1 episode (but i hope it will be at least 2 episodes) fully dedicated to the Goryeo time.

JD gaining her awareness and how it affects others especially the direction of the secret manhwa.

I will put the rest in spoiler due to its relation to the manhwa

Reveal hidden contents

- DO weak heart and how it will push BK to team up with HR trying to delay her death. Those who read the manhwa will know that there are so many crucial touching moments that evolve around this plot.
- DO and HR rekindle their story in the flower manhwa

With lots to cover and their need to maintain the quality of the drama. I wish they won't do or add unnecessary subplot like DH choosing to reset his awareness or other girl who will interfere HR and DO relationship.

OMG OMG the spoiler!! Now i'm really curious to BK brother's role to the story. I ran out of idea. This drama is truly unpredictable and that's one of its charm.

I would also be sad if they do those kind of subplot.

But what makes me think we do not gonna see a love interest for Haru on stages is that he is described as BK lacy and even if he has those girls going after him he seems to be indifferent to them from those scenes we got (in contrast to BK that loved those girls attention on stage)! His whole purpose from character description involve  BK. I am more worry if the manwha writer gonna make him help DO-BK love line on stage... 

• Like 10

I hope the fountain scene is in the upcoming episode.  It will give me another scene to endlessly review and dissect.  Oh Why, Oh Why did they put Dan-Oh in thigh high socks?  She is already so short.  In that picture standing next to Ha-Ru, she looks like she is maybe about 3 feet tall.  :crazy:

Why is tomorrow taking so long to get here?  Can't the writer just move me into the next stage scene where I watch Extraordinary You?

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

Haru is again not the ML :o I thought he was in Flower manwha then what about Dowha's line that Haru's gaze is of a male lead. We were fooled to think that they were meant to be :tears: However it makes their love even stronger and special they will fall for each other no matter how they are written and how much others try to pull them apart. But still I wanted my poor Haru to be lead once it's not fair for such a handsome and perfect man to be extra always.:bawling:  

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Spoiler

The guy in the bench seems to be BK then the girl must be Dan Oh. Is she in hospital dress? Are they going to follow webtoon ending like dying in his arms and all that? Or I am imagining things my mind has become too negative after reading those ending and Dowha spoilers :lol:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, -Love Blossom- said:

Haru is again not the ML :o I thought he was in Flower manwha then what about Dowha's line that Haru's gaze is of a male lead. We were fooled to think that they were meant to be :tears: However it makes their love even stronger and special they will fall for each other no matter how they are written and how much others try to pull them apart. But still I wanted my poor Haru to be lead once it's not fair for such a handsome and perfect man to be extra always.:bawling:  

:D I’m glad he’s not the male lead in either manhwa because the writer has little imagination and she/he would probably make him a jerk to Dan oh. Not that this manhwa writer is terribly different from real life romance comic writers. I’ve read enough Japanese josei and shoujo manga to realize the stories and characters are continuously recycled. Only a slim few of these romance comic writers have managed to create a sufficiently unique or interesting story though they can’t really escape certain tropes.

I love the idea that Dan oh and Haru love each other in spite of the manhwa writer’s intentions. The important thing is that it’s their choice/freewill.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

@Jillia, not cheesy at all. That is simply a fact. They defied the writer’s intentions and fell in love on their own.

Spoiler

I do wonder under what circumstances the manhwa writer made Haru kill Danoh in Trumpet Creeper. And poor Haru did it against his will in his “aware” state. Now the writer is killing off Danoh again in Secret. It makes me think he/she have no love for Danoh. Just look how he/she has Danoh pining over someone who does not love her for 10 long years, who treats her unkindly and then she dies. Does that even make sense? That’s a feat only a manhwa character can accomplish. That’s why as soon as Danoh became aware she immediately talked and acted like a person with common sense. LOL I just loved her soliloquies about her onstage situation and her derisions of the writer.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2

@celebrianna That's true too. The writer would have given him a bad family to justify his meanness. Then self aware Dan Oh would have hated him too. But Jinmichae had told cold Haru that this is closer to how he used to be so it can be assumed that he was not as nice as Secret Haru.

@Jillia The best part is he is an innocent and unintentional fox.:lol: I can't believe clueless Number 13 has any knowledge on how to woo a girl. As for his swoon worthy moves he was just born (made) with it. :kiss_wink:

BK should take some notes from him. Baek Kyung ya next time when you talk to Dan Oh don't just yell at her smile at her too. I know you can be nice too. FIGHTING :D

59 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@Jillia, not cheesy at all. That is simply a fact. They defied the writer’s intentions and fell in love on their own.

Reveal hidden contents

I do wonder under what circumstances the manhwa writer made Haru kill Danoh in Trumpet Creeper. And poor Haru did it against his will in his “aware” state. Now the writer is killing off Danoh again in Secret. It makes me think he/she have no love for Danoh. Just look how he/she has Danoh pining over someone who does not love her for 10 long years, who treats her unkindly and then she dies. Does that even make sense? That’s a feat only a manhwa character can accomplish. That’s why as soon as Danoh became aware she immediately talked and acted like a person with common sense. LOL I just loved her soliloquies about her onstage situation and her derisions of the writer.

Spoiler

I read somewhere that the manwha writer tried to completely kill her several times but she always survived. So yeah he hates her. But it doesn't feel he likes BK very much too. He gave him an abusive and sh**y family and a sick fiancee. Even the female lead JD is consistently being bullied and humiliated. The writer is sadist.:angry: 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Jillia said:

@larrysouth

Which fountain scene? Was one in the highlight reel back then? :)

It was the one at the water fountain where I believe Dan-Oh gets wet.  Dan-Oh is wearing a navy blazer and her plaid skirt along with the the dark thigh high socks.  I would have attached the picture to show you if I had any technology ability at all.  Just be thankful that a person of my age knows what Wifi is.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Oh but I know which scene you mean. :D The one in which Ha Ru gives his shirt to her. :wub:

Why must you always go to Ha-Ru taking off his shirt? :blush:    He has a mind as well, not just washboard abs..........never mind, I can't speak to you when you're drooling. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

@leeminhosny Whoever edited that masterpiece together is a genius :lol: I feel like this really speaks to Kim Hyeyoon's acting when you can instantly tell which Haru she's speaking to/looking at based purely on her expression. (I mean, okay, I guess it helps that I've rewatched some of those scenes more times than I should admit, hahaha...) 

re: Predictions

• I think Ju Da's storyline is going to be an interesting one, now that it seems like the director's going the route of self-awareness with her. Coupled with the scenes of her looking longingly towards Dohwa, her attempts to call his attention back to her, and the one moment she lingers over his contact information in her phone (all while in the shadow), I get the feeling that they're building up a nicely fleshed out character for her. Even though the website synopsis mentions her 
    Spoiler

gaining awareness and doing whatever means possible to maintain the status quo of the comic

I can see her choices being guided by emotion (and not necessarily in a terrible, stab-Danoh-in-the-back kind of way), particularly if Dohwa is, ultimately, the one she cares the most for, and struggling to reconcile her own role in the midst of a pre-determined love line. I think it'll be interesting to see how she attempts to navigate that tension, whether it turns her into a more 3-dimensional character or regresses her into something less, and if she ultimately winds up as an ally to the others. 

• Also, I'm seriously living for the potential shadow/stage tension between Haru and Baek Kyung. I have this nagging feeling that the show will set up some kind of on-stage scene showcasing the camaraderie between the two, and once it all falls away, my guess is Baek Kyung's going to say something to antagonize Haru (based largely in part to a combination of unresolved insecurity and unease, and the threat that old!Haru's memory poses to the state of his and Danoh's off-stage reconciliation). It's so interesting to me how Baek Kyung struggles to express himself in productive ways (and manages in a few snapshots to do it well) but then immediately falls back on old habits because, with his on-stage characterization, he never learned how to handle his emotions in a way that doesn't involve lashing out and hurting others. His actions read to me like someone in desperate need of attention and care, but who also doesn't know how to receive it (honestly, I don't think I can gloss over the abusive aspects of it either). He'd make for such a great character study.

Phew! I have more to say, but I'll stop raving for now. :lol: Here's also another drabble I wrote because I clearly have no self-control. Ahhhh!

And while I'm not a fan of Baek Kyung and Danoh, I know many people here are, so! Someone else has been sharing their take on that relationship as well, and you can read that here.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 4

The vibe I get is that in Flower, Kyung is a nobleman/prince.  He is betrothed to DanOh (she mentioned she felt like she was a princess when they visited the palace grounds on excursion) - the 10 year betrothal makes sense in Sageuk times.  Makes much less sense in the Secret modern world.  Haru is not lead.  He is the guard (not nobility), he carries a sword.  His scar?  Initially I thought it was a defence wound but it’s an odd place for a slash to occur in battle?  Is it a blood pact?  Like one between brothers?  They used to do that in the old days.  I get the feeling DanOh fell in love with Haru and they made promises via the Trumpet Flower.  I am unsure as to whether their love was doomed from the start.  Was Haru Kyung’s bodyguard or something?  It would fit with the dynamic now in Secret where he’s suddenly Kyung’s best friend. Or maybe blood brothers?  Hence the scar?  Haru is torn between his loyalty to Kyung and his love for DanOh.  I get the feeling they didn’t get their happy ever after in Flower.  DanOh may have drowned...there’s all these references to water so far...

My take on all those who’ve become self aware or look like they have moments (eg Kyung’s brother and NamJoo’s Mother) is that they are all characters in Flower.  They have Dejavu moments in Secret where they see someone or something plays out in front of them and they have faint inklings of their past life in Flower.  The writer of Secret isn’t fantastic - the characters keep lamenting about how cheesy the lines are or how unrealistic the settings are.  He/she may have plagiarized large chunks of the comic Flower (not sure if it was intentional) which is why the scenes look so similar.

Haru’s character in Secret is an exercise of growing self awareness.  DanOh willed him into existence.  From a faceless #13 to a person with a name.  He started off just following her instructions.  He had no voice of his own.  Until the beach scene.  Where she instructed him to come to the sea to help her but he didn’t.  He acted as his own agent.  That’s why at the end of that scene he started to speak. He “found his voice” and DanOh gives him a name (Haru).  He was now capable of acting on his own and deciding what he would do in any given situation.  He became a loose cannon.  Rewriting the story in the birthday party.  The spotlight shifted from the main leads (NamJoo/JooDa) to the extras (Kyung/DanOh) - way too much artistic license for the writer’s comfort.  So he/she got rid of Haru1 and penned Haru2 in as a named extra (like DanOh) whom he/she could now “control”.  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4

@Jillia I absolutely agree that it'd be nice for Baek Kyung to have a redemption arc, but I think that's also partly why I'm looking forward so much to how the director will explore his dynamic with Haru on/off stage. So far, we've had the physical reactions from both of them--the pushing, the shoving, the three-way arm grab--along with enough pointed looks to fill a lifetime, but what I personally really miss, and what I'd love to see, is some kind of authentic conversation between the two of them where they're both in the know and it's not some kind of passive-aggressive contest fought out right in front of Danoh. And that I could see being tense as all hell, hahah, but in all the right ways.

And to clarify what I'd meant by the stabbing-Danoh-in-the-back comment, that was more in reference to 

Spoiler

how I think Ju Da's desire to remain the main lead in her love life/comic might result in her taking misguided actions that unintentionally impact Danoh. Particularly in cases where the extras of her comic might "steal" the limelight away (e.g., Nam Joo's birthday party and the reversal of their roles), I could see the directors moving her character in a way where she's avidly ensuring everything goes according to what's already laid out. ...which would make it even more fun to see how that contrasts with her own personal feelings about where she wants the direction of her story to go--'cause, man, this whole BoF plotline with everyone ganging up on her is seriously old and tired, and I can't wait until she rebels or something! 

@nrllee I love how you brought up the recycled lines! I swear, there has to be some sort of significance to it all, and I wonder what direction the show's going to take it... whether it's highlighting the writer's lack of creativity, trying to hint at the futility of "fighting" against a storyline, or if it's something else altogether.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Calligrapher said:

I wonder what direction the show's going to take it... whether it's highlighting the writer's lack of creativity, trying to hint at the futility of "fighting" against a storyline, or if it's something else altogether.

I think you can go meta with it.  As in do you believe that you as an individual have a defined storyline to play in the great canvas of life?  That the Writer has absolute control and you just have to play along?  Do you have any choice at all in the matter?  Free will?  Do you even want to change it?  Or do you stand defeated and just accept it as is?  Can you rewrite the story?  Where you’re not just some optional faceless “extra” in the big plot?  You may be “ordinary” in every sense of the word, but you can also become “extra-ordinary”.  :).

• Like 6
  • Love 2

For some reason I just have it in my head that Jinmiche was the one who gave Ha-Ru the scar.  For some reason I thought that when Jinmiche was looking at the Flower manhwa, he was looking at a panel and I thought that I saw he cut Ha-Ru's hand with a sword.  I might totally have imagined it, because that scene was so short.

• Like 2