[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

5 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

ON the contrary, i think MY and Juri will end up becoming friend..

Juri never had friends, she tried to befriend MY but plz.. as a kid it would be difficult for anyone to tolerate MY

We have ti keep in Mind the fact, KID JR could have been a friend to MY , if she could have understood her even 2%, Kids can get scared or can accept as well it swings both ways.There are Normal Kids out there who have SOCIETY DESGINATED WEIRD Friends as Well.

ADULT JR is Farce/FAKE and MY for the lack of better words Disgusts her. Adult JR is also Jealous of Her because of KT's attention on MY and also her beauty and brashness. Had MY being a patient JR could still be her friend, Not now. JR is quintessentialy the jealous Teen right now who is being ignored by her crush.

And JR never Had any friends, when was That Highlighted? Did I miss something?It eould be helpful if someone shares that portion.

• Like 2

After watched ep 6 with subs i can say there's a connection between MY's mom, KT's mom, MY's dad and butterflies... Probably ST saw this deep connection when their mother died and i think the key is ST's memories...:phew:

I can't wait to see the date next week... Someone on YT mentioned about another hug for our couple... There's some spoiler pic on IG i guess... BTW when MY cried i cried with her... KUDOS to SYJ!!:bashful:

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, madmad min said:

We have ti keep in Mind the fact, KID JR could have been a friend to MY , if she could have understood her even 2%, Kids can get scared or can accept as well it swings both ways.There are Normal Kids out there who have SOCIETY DESGINATED WEIRD Friends as Well.

ADULT JR is Farce/FAKE and MY for the lack of better words Disgusts her. Adult JR is also Jealous of Her because of KT's attention on MY and also her beauty and brashness. Had MY being a patient JR could still be her friend, Not now. JR is quintessentialy the jealous Teen right now who is being ignored by her crush.

And JR never Had any friends, when was That Highlighted? Did I miss something?It eould be helpful if someone shares that portion.

Jealousy in love is not new.. look what MY did.. manipulated an autistic person.. she ain't any better than Juri.. she is 2 faced too, manipulates when she needs sthg.. or acts as a brat

it is not the responsibility of "normal" kids to understand not normal ones, while not normal ones go about doing whatever they want.. same as KT and ST..it cannot always be KT's responsibility

For Juri, MY does whatever she wants and pays no consequences.. obviously it is disheartening.. and on top of it..as far as she knows , now MY is coveting her life long crush

3 minutes ago, lolly84 said:

After watched ep 6 with subs i can say there's a connection between MY's mom, KT's mom, MY's dad and butterflies... Probably ST saw this deep connection when their mother died and i think the key is ST's memories...:phew:

I can't wait to see the date next week... Someone on YT mentioned about another hug for our couple... There's some spoiler pic on IG i guess... BTW when MY cried i cried with her... KUDOS to SYJ!!:bashful:

lol..you know what KT's mom crossed path with MY's dad.. so MY's mom got so angry that she killed KT's mom..

and that's when dad lost it and either killed mom or sthg happened and mom ended up dead

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, madmad min said:

during their rooftop fight, MY says that Jr didn't have any friends growing up as she was fake and double faced and JR reacts to it by slapping MY

• Like 2

In the interview SYJ said this is human healing drama. I can see that the 3 new housemates are a balm for the wounded soul to each other. Dysfunctional in a way but it works nonetheless....Hence the title It’s Okay Not To Be Okay.....:sparklyeyes:

While the side characters tell us about many facets of human personality. Each human has layers like onions. It takes ages to peel it off and each layer contains a surprise.....:idk:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, heartoppaya said:

Also I officially love the CEO. He’s HILARIOUS. I can’t wait to see how he falls for his assistant. That’s gotta be amazing.

Ditto!
CEO is hilarious indeed!!! LOL I am looking fwd to his interaction with assistant, they have couple vibes potential hahaha

Also, I want to see more interactions with KT!! He is making him feel jealousy for the first time in his life! LOL 

:twerk2:

• Like 4

So we could all agree (maybe 95%) about the fact that MY'mom was the crazy one! But if MY's mom killed KT's mom (as @enigmatic_zephy mentioned) i don't think we'll get happy end... And i REALLY NEED TO GET HAPPY END FROM THIS COUPLE BECAUSE THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY SEXY, COOL AND so on...:shaq:

BTW if there's a ill-fated relationship i'll be done... i want to see them kissing, hugging, smiling and a BED SCENE is requested 'cause they are both good kissers!! NAUGHTY MODE: ON:evilelmo:

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

15 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

it is not the responsibility of "normal" kids to understand not normal ones, while not normal ones go about doing whatever they want.. same as KT and ST..it cannot always be KT's responsibility

Concept of Normal is Very Subjective, Not Normal Kids on the other hands like MY initially won't Know they are Not Normal, Its what They are Like I mean that is their Nature , it won't look out of Blue for them, It is their Normal.MY was taught that she was Special. ST was TOLD he was Different. But for them their behaviour is NORMAL to them.

MY was doing her Normal, she never asked JR, JR was the one who wanted to befriend her, Like KT who liked her and Ran Away. Both did not understand her Normal because their Normal varied from Hers.MY for all she cared just like food from her Mom's diner , her conceot of friendship v/s JR is not same.

Agreed it Cannot be Always KT's responsibilty but family Does not work Like that. Or more specifically Family Like KT's does not work like that.Had ST gotten someone in his life to love and care for him like a Man beyond Autism KT would have been free, He was taught to take care of ST. He is suffering because of that But HE CHOSE TO BE LIKE THAT in their Adulthood. KT is not indebted anymore, He is Choosing not to LET GO of them.

Ps- I like what you theorized abt KT's Mom and MY's father possiblity. Very Plausible.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I like the way story is progressing . MKT will end up taking  care of two special people. Since he has the patience of a caregiver he can manage GMY  but getting romantic with her will need lot of work . GMY has to change and put an effort too.   

• Like 5

Hey I'm just dropping by because I love to read about the insightful discussions around the storytelling. I think when it comes to watching this drama which mixes in psychology, mental illnesses and fairytales, it's important to keep an open mind and not create a perception of people who have these mental illnesses in real life. I can see what the drama is trying to do with Moon Young's character. To normalize her character. But it is already in the dangers of entertainment media stereotyping people who have mental illnesses to be violent. MY has violent, negative behaviors. She doesn't respect KT's space and goes ahead and touches his abs. We don't really get to see the other side of her, the soft side, and that is why her character tends to be one dimensional. Hence, it's really important to keep an open minded and to educate yourself about the stigma around mental health. 

The fairytale storytelling can sometimes misconstrue the true intention of what it is trying to do. The romantic love line can further confuse the viewer's perception of love. For example, Disney reinterpreted the documented Brother Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales and changed their endings to make the stories happy. This reinterpretation completely derails the gruesome, grittiness in the original storytelling which reflects upon the adult world. We have to keep in mind that before fairy tales were documented in books, they were often passed down by grandmothers. The plots remain the same but the details are the same. The storytellers were adults who tried to paint the world for younger kids.

@40somethingahjumma brings up a great perspective on Rapunzel's story and notes that her story is a taboo subject of pain. 

8 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

So fairytale talk is a cover for the taboo subjects that are too painful to be referred to directly. Rapunzel is code for childhood abuse. The girl who was denied the simple pleasures of childhood, whose soul was tortured by her mother to the point that she still has nightmares as an adult. She was waiting to be rescued but her saviour never came back but he was just a boy who had no clue what was really at stake.

I can imagine a grandmother who is passing down the story is having difficulty in explaining life to younger kids. The difficulty became fantasized and is never brought to light in the kid's mind. From an early standpoint, these stories create fear in a kid's mind. And in a metal level, Rapunzel's mom constructed and gave rules to block Rapunzel's world from exploring, from truly living. Hence, Rapunzel still has nightmares as an adult. She's confined in the constraints of the adult world. (A parallel example: Moon Young has nightmares in the cursed castle)

I also love that @bebebisous33 mentioned about the various interpretations of The Little Mermaid. 

7 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

The problem with this kind of story is each person can interpret it so differently. Let's take the example with the little Mermaid:

- one might perceive the power of love. She is willing to die because of her love for the prince and they consider it as something amazing

- MY said that she shouldn't have tried to steal the fiance

- However, we could also say that the prince could never love the mermaid because she was different. Let's not forget that she was mute. She might have been beautiful but she couldn't speak. Here, the prince doesn't appear as prince charming at all, rather superficial and shallow. He couldn't fall in love with her because she was impaired. 

- The fact that she dies at the end and the prince doesn't notice it could be perceived as something negative too. All her sacrifices have been pointless. No one shouldn't sacrifice himself/herself because of love. People shouldn't give up their own identity. Let's not forget that she was a mermaid in the beginning. 

Rictor Norton has theorized that The Little Mermaid is a reflection of Han Christian Anderson's world and his conflicted feelings towards his identity. Here is what Wikipedia says: 

Rictor Norton, in My Dear Boy: Gay Love Letters through the Centuries, theorizes that The Little Mermaid was written as a love letter by Hans Christian Andersen to Edvard Collin.[12] This is based on a letter Andersen wrote to Collin, upon hearing of Collin's engagement to a young woman, around the same time that the Little Mermaid was written. Andersen wrote "I languish for you as for a pretty Calabrian wench... my sentiments for you are those of a woman. The femininity of my nature and our friendship must remain a mystery."[13] Andersen also sent the original story to Collin.[14] Norton interprets the correspondence as a declaration of Andersen's homosexual love for Collin, and describes The Little Mermaid as an allegory for Andersen's life

To tie together bebebisuous33's last interpretation of The Little Mermaid and Rictor Norton's theory, it is important to accept one's identity and to be true to oneself. To be authentic, honest and real. If one neglects oneself, one is left with sorrow and confusion.  So whether it's oral or written storytelling of the fairytales, it's important to dig deeper into the intents of the writer. If the writer has passed away, it's important to see and educate oneself about the various perspectives and find a perspective that resonates with one's inner and outer world.

What I think is that fairy tales are a mirror of our reality, of broken adults trying to wake up from this unhappy dream. Changing the ending to make it happy also justifies the adult world and continues to add more seasoning into the fallacy of the fairy tale (referring to Disney's interpretation). It is important to wake up from these fairy tales. Wake up from these dreams. And to accept oneself without social constructs and social expectations. Be true, honest, authentic and vulnerable to oneself. As for adults, it's best to tell the truth and honesty to kids even when it's hard. Kids are more honest and open minded than adults think they are. It's only when adults construct and give the rules that they block the kids' worlds from exploring.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, madmad min said:

Concept of Normal is Very Subjective, Not Normal Kids on the other hands like MY initially won't Know they are Not Normal, Its what They are Like I mean that is their Nature , it won't look out of Blue for them, It is their Normal.MY was taught that she was Special. ST was TOLD he was Different. But for them their behaviour is NORMAL to them.

MY was doing her Normal, she never asked JR, JR was the one who wanted to befriend her, Like KT who liked her and Ran Away. Both did not understand her Normal because their Normal varied from Hers.MY for all she cared just like food from her Mom's diner , her conceot of friendship v/s JR is not same.

Agreed it Cannot be Always KT's responsibilty but family Does not work Like that. Or more specifically Family Like KT's does not work like that.Had ST gotten someone in his life to love and care for him like a Man beyond Autism KT would have been free, He was taught to take care of ST. He is suffering because of that But HE CHOSE TO BE LIKE THAT in their Adulthood. KT is not indebted anymore, He is Choosing not to LET GO of them.

Ps- I like what you theorized abt KT's Mom and MY's father possiblity. Very Plausible.

I was replying to a comment..

It is unfair to pin all the blame on Juri. 

And if you take this "this is their nature" .. that is a slippery road as far as logic goes...

then everyone in this world has their nature, including a serial killer

Then did KT ask her to follow him, why is she harassing him.. be careful of how you are arguing this. Your logic cannot be a one way street

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

2 cents for todays episode...

first, about the 'mom' patient, i'm shocked at first i thought she really her mom, then this thought came, what if MY mother did not really die? why does MY look so shocked then saying mom is back. it's like her mom never die and someday will comeback...

then for bluebeard story,

i thought at first, her father is the bluebeard, but at the end of the episode, i realize the bluebeard she told about i think is her mom, and the betrayer is her dad, arghhh im really curiousssss

the scene where KT save ST but ST run away is pitiful :( 

KT now is trying very hard to protect ST, but he must take care MY too

i just dont want he feels exhausted with his life, he needs warmth too and i hope at the end of the series he can find it together with MY. i hope MY can heal his wound with her way.

and in the preview... what did MY do to earn praise from KT? i fell like it's relating to the sick mom, is it because she help to treat/soothe the patient?

i don't know why but the scene where KT said good job to her, i feel like KT saying that to one of his patient, not because he really care for her...

and the last sceneeeee, i'm glad KT noticed when she asked him to run, but her hand grabbing his shirt, he knew that she asked for the other way around.

i must give thumbs up to SYJ's superb act!!! she's so perfect for this role:heartxoxo:

and her waist! it's becoming hot issue in korea now.. that super tiny waist.. and her body proportion really save it,she doesn't look so skinny, and she looks smokin' hot!

• Like 13
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

It is unfair to pin all the blame on Juri. 

And if you take this "this is their nature" .. that is a slippery road as far as logic goes...

then everyone in this world has their nature, including a serial killer

Then did KT ask her to follow him, why is she harassing him.. be careful of how you are arguing this. Your logic cannot be a one way street

I never Blamed Everything On JR. I did say Initially KIDS would not understand that their behaviour is not consider appropriate. JR got scared because MY creeped her out YES. But any kid or JR never tried to talk to her to know her better after MY showed her tendencies. Kids may or may Not have that sense. That is what I meant.

MY is harassing KT it is visible then what about all those K drama Heros who keep on Harrassing the Heroine just because they find them Fascinating, hand pulling, forceful kissing etc?? How are that considered deep falling in love not this beung Normal? Theoritically speaking that is. 

We can take or understand logic as it is individually.

• Like 4

I ditto think that JR and MY could become friends in a future. They have issues atm but it seems that their friendship was « interrupted » by MYs mom influence in MYs actions, when they were little girls. 

About the unrevealed person who’s in the hospital (the silhouette who’s looking at MY from afar and the « ghost »),  I think she could be MYs mom who’s not really dead but she was locked up in the hospital bc of suicide attempt and dementia.

Also, I don’t think that MYs mom (or her dad) was the one killing KT’s mom. I believe that they are all victims of dementia and depression. MY’s parent could have had marriage issues after MYs fall into deep depression. MYs mom was possessively protective over MY, she doesn’t want anyone near her (not even her dad), then MYs dad started to blame her daughter and saw her as a threat.

About KTs family... they haven’t show much. But yeah, maybe his mom was deeply depressed and at the end she committed suicide. She was shown drinking a lot. His brother strong fear to butterflies could be because he witnessed his mom suicide and he heard her saying something about becoming free and transforming to a butterfly.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 9

1 hour ago, heartoppaya said:

Oh my god the chemistry is freakin’ amazing. I’m still so amazed by how compatible they’re together. If they won’t win best couple.. oh also, our lead actress really knows how to kiss, unlike the fish kisses. So...

But for real, they’re.. they’re like tied together. One can’t be complete without the other. I didn’t feel this compatibility between the king and the girl from the other universe in the Monarch. Even if that drama is super hyped. But here... Jesus Christ.

Also I officially love the CEO. He’s HILARIOUS. I can’t wait to see how he falls for his assistant. That’s gotta be amazing.

I believe that the CEO has fallen for Ju-ri. :P Remember the scene at the pizza place? Maybe it would be Jae-Su falling for the assistant? :D 

This episode seemed a bit "weaker" but, personally, it's my favourite episode so far. Because it "broke" so many walls - we saw the real KMT, we saw the real KMY. And the painful truth that KMT has actually always lived "for others", maybe constantly putting the blame on himself for that slipped out sentence "I just want my brother to die." The fact that he is tired of being needed when he himself needs someone is what would be the turning point of the drama. He would now return the favour, roughly speaking - KMY saved him before, he will save her now. From her past and from her demons. But, by saving him back then, she actually saved herself - he will now do the same.

The best sentence of this episode was "Are the others afraid of people who are different?"" and this is what makes this drama the best. Because this one simple sentence creates the essence and the purpose of the entire plot. Yes, IONTBO might be a fairytale retold at first glance, but it is much more than that. It is not the pretty faces of KSH and SYJ, it is the representation of people who are "different" and how they are (not) accepted not only by the society but also by themselves. And by "different" it might be the person in the autistic spectrum, it might be the person living with ghosts, it might be the one in the psychiatric clinic, it might be the nurse there, it might be the little biy who devoted his life to his older brother and forgot to live his own. Every single one of us is different. Is this scary?

• Like 16
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

Possible Theories

These probably won't be right, but here are some theories:

1) MY's mom tried to kill MY's dad and then in self defense he accidentally kills her or she accidentally fell down the stairs

• Death by falling down the stairs provides an explanation as to why her head was cracked and why she appeared "wobbly"
    • There is a recurring theme of people falling down the stairs (i.e The reporter falling down the stairs in ep 2 and MY almost falling in today's episode).
  • The combination of finding out MY's mom was a monster and feeling responsible for her death is what led Professor Ko to have a mental breakdown
    • In the midst of his mental breakdown, he goes to strangle MY because he thinks MY is his wife since MY resembles her mother.

2) Lady who lost her daughter will finally come to terms with her daughter's death

• MY will help her heal and vice versa
  • MY will ask her if she wants to move into the house since currently she's poor and living off of welfare checks
  • They both will get something that they had always wanted
    • MY will get a caring and kind mom while the lady will get to have another daughter who's life wasn't cut short
    • The lady could then help to take care of ST so that MY and KT can make a life together 
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 11

2 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Possible Theories

These probably won't be right, but here are some theories:

1) MY's mom tried to kill MY's dad and then in self defense he accidentally kills her or she accidentally fell down the stairs

• Death by falling down the stairs provides an explanation as to why her head was cracked and why she appeared "wobbly"
    • There is a recurring theme of people falling down the stairs (i.e The reporter falling down the stairs in ep 2 and MY almost falling in today's episode).
  • The combination of finding out MY's mom was a monster and feeling responsible for her death is what led Professor Ko to have a mental breakdown
    • In the midst of his mental breakdown, he goes to strangle MY because he thinks MY is his wife since MY resembles her mother.

2) Lady who lost her daughter will finally come to terms with her daughter's death

• MY will help her heal and vice versa
  • MY will ask her if she wants to move into the house since currently she's poor and living off of welfare checks
  • They both will get something that they had always wanted
    • MY will get a caring and kind mom while the lady will get to have another daughter who's life wasn't cut short
    • The lady could then help to take care of ST so that MY and KT can make a life together 

OMG!! You WON BIG TONIGHT!! These theories would be perfect!!!:sparklyeyes:

• Like 2
  • Love 3

When Mun Yeong engaged Sang Tae to be her illustrator, it seems like she did not do it out of pure selfish reasons. When Gang Tae read the contract, it stated that she will acknowledge Sang Tae as the best illustrator in the world. To me, I believe that she (similar to the hospital director) sees Sang Tae’s talent for art as his strong suit and is using this positive trait as therapy and to also help pave a path for him to have a sense of his own life. It is not just Gang Tae that needs to find a life outside of Sang Tae. Sang Tae needs to find a life outside of Gang Tae as well. It is true that they each belong to their own selves. I can tell by the three coexisting together in the mansion, they will help each other heal and bring out their positive points - possibly reversing what their mothers (and maybe father) had conditioned them to be.

I also wanted to mention something about episode 5. The story briefly referenced the Bates Hotel which was featured in the American psychological suspense/thriller show of the same name. It was considered to be the prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's film, Psycho, and it was created to help the audience understand how the main character, Norman Bates, came to be the murderous “psycho”. Certainly his mental illness, schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder, was deemed nature (inherited), but how his mother, Norma Bates, who had her own mental illness, nurtured him further damaged his mental state. One of his personalties was his version of her. She was extremely protective of her son and did not allow him to have a life away from her. She embedded in his mind that that the outside world was immoral and that women (apart from herself) were evil. As such, they lived a life of exclusion and anyone who were seen to come between them were in danger. Not that I think that the drama parallels the Bates Hotel, but I do notice some similarities between the two. Mainly how parent/child relationships, the environment they were raised in and trauma can deeply affect children's psyche.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 11