[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

8 hours ago, TiNaDo said:

In a sense, KMY is not only ST's idol but he feels like she is also part of his family. ST would become the healer for all three of them, I guess - the connecting bond that makes them overcome their fears and difficulties. KMT asked KMY to respect ST but she did it even before that, in her own way; she did it also when he was hitting KMT. And ST trusts her blindly because he feels he can trust her. This is what was so conflicting in KMT's mind and heart - should he trust her as well?

very true!! i think she has shown ST great respect. If she didn't respect him and only wanted to use him as a means to KT, i think she would have treated him differently in a lot of scenes. there is a gentleness and camaraderie in the way she approaches ST that comes across very genuine.  for example when he was fighting KT and she gently asked him to come back inside. keen to see this relationship develop as well! 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

It's MY turn

EcNg89BUEAE9HUj?format=jpg&name=4096x409

KT2 X MY1

Credit to the owner

I haven't watched ep 6 yet but the first 20 minutes or so of ep 5 (from the start up to KMY waking up and staring at the face's chart in MKT's room are probably my favourites so far.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, blademan said:

If looks could kill.

The change in his eyes. DANG. I felt that.

I actually rewatched this scene so many times just to see SJ's (the assistant) reaction - her snort laugh HAHA the moment he said he's "her man" :lol: 

But in all seriousness this is the first time we get a glimpse of jealous and protective KT. Even in the beginning when he called the director out - that the only reason he is sticking around MY is for money, nothing else. But he drew the line when he said "her man" - anyone could see the shift in KT's eyes and it was extremely satisfying! (THANK YOU behind-the-scenes-people-in-charge-of-this-brilliant-execution-especially-KSH)

I absolutely love this scene. KSY totally nailed it. His stubble change from annoyed to jealous was amazing. And i want to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE jealous GT. He deserves a bit of this with all the running away he has done from MY. 

GT is a complete contradiction. At the start of ep 6, he tells MY that he wants to stop being someone who ppl rely on... and when he was given the freedom to leave, he doesn’t. He voluntarily takes care of MY. 

I’m loving the path the story is taking. It was be great if ST becomes a popular illustrator so that he and GT can live his life with all the freedom he deserves. I really hope the last scene of the drama is GT and MY going on a trip without a destination planned... just driving :) he deserves it :)

coming to MY’s mother, she has definitely died but i think her ghost is the one haunting OK hospital. I am still unsure if she is haunting MY too.... cause MY looks she is suffering from sleep paralysis rather than a ghost on top of her. 

But why does the basement door keep opening and closing?? I am so curious about that. It closed by itself when MY entered the house in ep 3. And same when in ep 6... I assume it is MY’s mom’s soul haunting the place and she keeps entering the basement.   But i could be wrong. :D

• Like 6

The drama continues to please and satisfy. It's gratifying to me that the show manages to keep the main thing the main thing. I don't know why that's so hard in many instances but thankfully there are shows like this around to remind us that it's actually possible to achieve this level of consistency.

I am amused by Sang-tae's entrepreneurial/mercenary bent. Of course it's adorably for the benefit of his beloved brother but it's delightful to see him in take-charge mode. I had a laugh out loud moment when he told Ju-ri to buy her own copy of his first book when she was trying to ingratiate herself by asking for it and it was faintly amusing to hear him muttering to himself while mural painting about the terms on which he should be paid.

I too was drooling when MY brought them into the library. Heaven on earth... heaven on earth. Sigh. It also reminded me of my favourite British period dramas which was a bonus. And then to see the brothers excited and happy in their new bedroom which used to be hers had been grinning from ear to ear. It seemed to me that even though she got them both to live with her through a bit of underhanded cunning, she is equally capable of being thoughtful. Although it was obvious that Gang-tae was her real goal, she quickly understood that the Moon boys came in a set and the terms had to be negotiated accordingly. The change in her environment was immediately palpable. Some of the light broke into the darkness. She slept well that night, woke up to a cleaner house, a busy kitchen and a livelier dining room than what she'd been accustomed to. She wisely fell in line with everything in a rare display of passivity. She felt the warmth of the light that was now shining into her bleak existence. Whatever the two men were manipulated into doing, they made the best of the situation. Of course as we see later, that this is still a haunted cursed house... there are ghosts and demons at large yet to be expunged.

It dawned on me that when they all sat down to breakfast what she had in effect done was create a makeshift family for herself. I don't think she did it intentionally. All she wanted was her safety pin. I don't know that she realised it until they were gathered in the kitchen and then when she saw the brothers sit with Ju-ri and her mum that they were bringing something more to her bleak existence than providing a safety net. It was all very ironic too when the delusional ajumma came along and started talking (rather convincingly I might add) to her like MY was her daughter. The poor woman had taken bits and pieces (with a fascinating level of insight) and woven herself into this narrative of the love triangle among MY, JR and GT. It was as if the ajumma was enacting her own psychodrama. 

It's very instructive that in all the dramas that I've been watching lately that there's a common theme of individuals forming families for themselves when their birth ones are dysfunctional or non-existent. It seems to be a natural impulse. Even when individuals have seen abandonment and abuse, the craving to be a part of something and to belong is incredibly strong. Even when the alternative isn't any better or are in fact worse.

I've not been taking Manager Lee as seriously as I probably should have. Until this most recent episode I saw him largely as comic relief. But when he went to see Gang-tae at the facility with the big blue bundle, their ensuing exchange brought to mind two stories: One from the New Testament (Acts of the Apostles) and the other a really well-known Aesop's fable, the goose that laid golden eggs. In some ambiguous way I've had some sympathy for the position he's found himself in. But lately I have come to conclusion that he's in his present predicament because of choices he's consciously made. It's a hole he's dug for himself. He can't really blame anyone but himself. It's like that story in Acts whereby a slave girl who is possessed by an evil spirit is used by her masters to make money from fortune telling. She continuously follows the apostle Paul around and he casts the evil spirit out of her. Of course  the result of that means that her masters have lost their income stream and stirs up trouble for Paul and his entourage. It occurred to me... that this is exactly what's been going on. Manager Lee used MY, her suffering, her brokenness and made money off of her. Instead of trying to help her seek help or seek treatment, he pandered to her whims, bribed his way out of trouble she caused and now it's biting him in the rear end. Short-term gain without thought to long-term consequences. He exploited her (there's no nice way to put it) while knowing her mental state. She's a tortured soul who can come up with out-of-the-box fairytales because of her sad past but it's eating her up inside and now they're both paying for it.

Most of all I love the complexity in our leads and I really appreciate how Gang-tae is gradually making the effort of getting to know her albeit reluctantly at first. I don't really blame him for running away from MY as a kid. He was just a boy with all kinds of baggage of his own that he was wrestling at home. I wish his mother had understood that rather than place such a huge burden on a young boy. But he's an adult now and he's being led to see the possibilities of what his life could be so he is responsible for what he does with his life. Although he was forced into the position of becoming the archetypal Caregiver,  the upside of that is that he's very attuned to what goes on around him. He picks up signal and vibes very quickly but he's not omniscient. It's really heartening to see the two of them taking the time to get to know each other better rather than just flinging assumptions and accusations at each other relentlessly. The final was so pathetic and yet full of optimism. While she is a haunted soul, she doesn't need to go it alone now. She has someone to accompany her through the valley of darkness of her memories.

• Like 14
  • Love 5

8 minutes ago, red1911 said:

very true!! i think she has shown ST great respect. If she didn't respect him and only wanted to use him as a means to KT, i think she would have treated him differently in a lot of scenes. there is a gentleness and camaraderie in the way she approaches ST that comes across very genuine.  for example when he was fighting KT and she gently asked him to come back inside. keen to see this relationship develop as well! 

Agree with this. I was confused why he even asked her cause she was respectful from the get go. But i guess he had not seen them interacting before.... when ST drew MY, they were alone. I adore her more whenever she calls ST, Oppa! 

I know she manipulated ST and GT to stay with her but this is going to be the first step towards all of them healing. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

46 minutes ago, cenching said:

Are you watching too, Darling???

I am! I was actually fangirling to myself over here about how KT finally officially decided to go after MY. I had a feeling he would when JR's mom told him not to force people to stop liking who they like but then he went and staked his claim in front of MY's manager and I was practically cheering out loud at the screen. I knew he never gave up on her! 

I don't really have much to add to the conversation here that hasn't already been said but I'm starting to think that maybe MY's mom is the one who killed GT's mom. She did tell MY something that we never actually get to hear, and then MY has that sleep paralysis/nightmare where her mother yanks her head back and screams at her because GT came to the gate. I have to wonder if that dream was actually a memory from when she was a kid. 

I also think that the scene where GT walks up to the castle and picks flowers happens AFTER the scene with the butterfly wings. It kind of sounds like that whole thing happen within the span of a couple days [she saves him day 1 and then day 2 or 3 is the butterfly/flowers at the gate scenes]. Plus, when GT goes to the gate he starts apologizing and says that he was surprised/startled. He didn't finish his sentence but I think he was referring to the scene with the butterflies there. 

I do fall more and more in love with this show as we get more episodes. I adore shows where we have to untangle the threads of the story and gets information in bits and pieces. I find things like this so much more entertaining/intriguing than the straight forward plots you get in other dramas. 

Who else was wondering where Ko Moon Young got a block of styrofoam to save Moon Kang Tae with? No? Just me? :D

I mean, what were we supposed to think that was? A block of ice? She's got some real powers, that woman, she can wear a 20-inch waist dress, terrify people with a single look, and saunter over a frozen lake to find a large block of styrofoam in minutes. 

I loved Ep 6 (so many feels), but that weird object was just so jarring. Couldn't she have tossed him a log or something more likely to be found at a frozen lake in the middle of nowhere?

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

@mywebfoot MY was sitting on the foam block watching them....that is what I saw because from the very first episode - I was thinking where did she get a block of foam? So I paid attention closely for it! It did blend with the snow....

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, mywebfoot said:

Who else was wondering where Ko Moon Young got a block of styrofoam to save Moon Kang Tae with? No? Just me? 

I was wondering about it since the first episode but episode 6 gave us clearer views of that scene and I can see that MY was sitting on it when she was watching Moon Bros.....

@phikyl

For me this drama has a similar vibes with an Indian movie titled "Every Child is Special". It's basically telling us that mental/learning disability is not necessarily a plague.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

My sister and I had different intakes on the hug scene at the end of episode 6. She sees it as MY’s way of telling KT to go but not wanting him to really go because she holds onto his shirt tight. The way I saw it was that her mother must have been using the same threat on her since she was young: “I will kill the Prince who comes to save you.” MY, wanting to protect KT from being killed, acts on her mother’s wishes. She has been protecting him since she was that young girl. Hence, my sis saw it as a romantic “go but please don’t really go because I need you” while I saw it as “Run because I don’t want to see you get killed so let it just be me who endures this alone..”

What does everyone think the last scene means? :D

I don't see why both of you can't be right! it's not mutually exclusive. i think MY was saying go/run because my cray cray mum is gonna kill you but her holding tightly onto him was her way of showing she didn't actually want him to go and needed him. so i think you're both right :)

• Like 3

Hello!

Was silent lurker here.

Just like most of you here, I am amazed with It's Okat to Not be Okay series.

For me, each of the episodes is a masterpiece so far.

Not to mention the acting, settings, scripts, etc

The issue this drama brings is the issue many many people can relate.

As a person who had mental health issue and also surrounded by people who have same issues, I find the dialogues hit me many times which are basic, deep and so relatable.

The script writer, director, actors and all people who have involved in this drama should have given great appreciation for delivering this issue to public in such a very beautiful cinematography, dialogues, directing, and acting.

I think It's Okay to Not be Okay is the best K-drama this year, and the best drama in my K-drama list.

• Like 12
  • Love 3

7 minutes ago, red1911 said:
5 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

My sister and I had different intakes on the hug scene at the end of episode 6. She sees it as MY’s way of telling KT to go but not wanting him to really go because she holds onto his shirt tight. The way I saw it was that her mother must have been using the same threat on her since she was young: “I will kill the Prince who comes to save you.” MY, wanting to protect KT from being killed, acts on her mother’s wishes. She has been protecting him since she was that young girl. Hence, my sis saw it as a romantic “go but please don’t really go because I need you” while I saw it as “Run because I don’t want to see you get killed so let it just be me who endures this alone..”

What does everyone think the last scene means? :D

I don't see why both of you can't be right! it's not mutually exclusive. i think MY was saying go/run because my cray cray mum is gonna kill you but her holding tightly onto him was her way of showing she didn't actually want him to go and needed him. so i think you're both right :)

I agree It was Simply Complicated. Both the things are right. 

:smooches2:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

Who is Bluebeard? I am conflicted about this.

I think up to episode 6, despite most comments agreeing to Bluebeard being MY's father and cause of misery to their home, part of me still feels unsettled on this. Pardon me for using numbering, it helps me to organise my thoughts hahaha.

1. When MY told ST not to go to the basement and what appears to be a flashback of MY's dad is seen with MY's mom in the cursed castle as MY narrates the story of Bluebeard.
- This is the strongest link pointing to MY's dad being Bluebeard. A very literal portrayal. Almost too literal that perhaps part of me is hoping for a twist.

2. When MY went to the basement, she lifted the covers off what appears to be a woman's portrait (MY's mom?) And MY's flashback of her mom combing her hair and being very threatening about MY leading young KT back to the castle.
- The portrait kind of resembles how the Bluebeard story goes to say that Bluebeard displays his dead wives on the wall. A painted portrait is also up for display on the wall. However I think the expression of MY's mother's mouth as well as her voice sounds really frightening. This still leaves me with uncertainty about MY's father being Bluebeard as it seems like MY's mom is the one with something to hide by warning MY about bringing KT home.

3. MY appears terrified and shaking when the hospital patient said she was her mom. 
- MY does not appear terrified when faced with her father on the other hand although there's definitely a degree of coldness or even contempt towards him. Also, does MY believing for a short moment that the patient could be her mother means that she is possibly uncertain about her mother's death? Later when she met the patient again and made an emphasis on the fact that her mother is dead felt like she was overemphasizing. Sounded like her mother being dead is something that she was hoping to be true.

4. MY frantically asks KT to get out of the house after her nightmare about her mom. 
- Does this further establish her fears of her own mother? She seems to be afraid that KT might get harmed by her mother.

5. The scene that was juxtapositioned with the scene of blood at the basement appears to hint of MY's mom's death relating to a car accident based on the sound effects and hand on a tar road like surface
- I think this further throws off the speculation that the Bluebeard father had killed off MY's mom? Unless she got hit while she was running away?

6. Director of OK Hospital suspecting that MY's dad suffers from delusion and the person he is trying to choke might not be MY but somebody he had mistaken her to be. 
- Could it be MY's mom that he was trying to choke? If he was Bluebeard, his delusion might have caused him to kill out of mistake? But I don't see a reason why he would stop killing now if it was because of that. If MY's mom was Bluebeard, perhaps dad was trying to stop her and every time he sees MY he imagines her as her mother and attempts to choke her to death to prevent more murders.

7. Father appearing somewhat normal yet scary when his roommate sneaked out of the room to meet director.
- This further creates more questions. Some had proposed that he hid behind the veil of mental disorders to mask his trail of murders. But I also wonder if he has Dissociative Identity Disorder? We see that following that scene, later on when the director went to make rounds at his ward that he realises MY's father's behaviour to be different. He also seemed like he forgot his own identity for a moment? DID is linked to forgetfulness as well as trauma and sometimes diagnosed as delusions. 
- However if we do a reverse search from delusions instead as the core symptom, persecutory delusion is remarked as the most common type of delusion (in this case, also can be quite relevant to MY's dad) relating to a belief that someone is trying to harm/torment/conspire against them. Previously we had also seen MY's father appearing to be suffocating and a glimpse of what appears to be a hallucination of a dark figure (MY's mom?) choking him. So this could be a form of persecutory delusion perhaps? The only thing that I can't quite connect the dots for is the fact that in the hospital he told the head nurse that his wife was very beautiful after remembering his name and it appears that he said it in a very loving manner unlike someone who was scared of being harmed by his own wife. So this brings me back to thinking about DID (btw, this is a lot of internet information so if we have someone who had actually studied psychiatry or on mental disorders, would appreciate your input to correct me especially hahahaha). 

8. In MY's dream when she sees her mother floating above her, she sounded like she was suffocating. It resembles the scenes of MY's father in episode 5 where he had suddenly experienced choking and he seems to have hallucinated that it was MY's mom choking him? 
- This is where it gets more confusing. If it was a delusion, why does it appear as if both the father and daughter is experiencing the same delusion about MY's mother? Was it because she was so young that she could not tell the difference between reality and the reality as told by her father? 

9. MY hearing voices of her mom in her head during class.
- Both persecutory delusion and auditory delusion is linked to schizophrenia. But auditory delusion can also be caused by trauma. Either MY and her dad both suffers from schizophrenia or they are both victims of her mother's doing. Hahaha I am still confused after all these analysis! Help me!
- In the composition of that scene, the woman in long floral cardigan stood out in the background. Was this purposefully designed by the production team as a cue? Previously the woman who mistaken MY as her daughter wore a black fur jacket (seems like a visual cue to highlight her character and lead us to question whether she is MY's mother). This same woman is the one who slapped JR and appears to be reading MY's mother's book. Could she in fact, be MY's mother?

10. "Curiosity leads to deep regret"
- I was curious (oops) as to why Bluebeard was the analogy used for the plot. Some googling took me to a moral of Bluebeard's story left written by its writer saying that curiosty leads to deep regret. So who was it in the plot that got curious and what was their regret? This led me to think about young KT who was curious about MY and her life. Curious enough to take him to the cursed castle. Since KT discovered the cursed castle in the forest, was that why KT's mother had to be murdered as a punishment?

Conclusion:
I am still leaning towards MY's mom being the "Bluebeard" and MY's dad being somewhat on a run for his life after escaping from his possible murder but that's just my gut feeling. Honestly I am torn as well with the facts presented so far. It appears that it is still very open to possibilities and can swing either way. But that's just how I feel, what do you guys think after considering some of the points I have listed above?

All things aside, some good moments I really enjoyed:

When ST asked KT about Bluebeard and why people did not like Bluebeard, KT says maybe it is because Bluebeard is different, with a blue beard. It was so beautiful to have ST questioning why society needed to dislike someone just because they are different. (Side note: This actually makes me wonder if the story is trying to show a misunderstood Bluebeard?)

MY gleaming with happiness to see the castle finally feeling like a home because of KT and ST was just pure joy. Even KT is entertained to see her wanting more rice. She's such a child.

KT and ST both saying that they want to be their own person and not the property of each other made me cry so much (tearful enjoyment though). Moon Woo Jin's acting as young KT is so good. I love this young kid in all the show he stars in! But his acting in IONTBO is super on point!!!

Young MY overlooking KT and ST playing together. As much as KT dreads having ST, MY would die to have a connection like them. And it's so precious to see how MY takes care of ST like petting him (wait, she did touch the back of his head to calm him down didn't she? He doesn't like that right?) and covering him with a blanket. She still appears quite nonchalant about it but for MY, I think it shows a lot. I hope this pairing of personality disorder writer + developmental disorder illustrator will continue inspiring us for the upcoming episodes with their interactions.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, jaslinnj said:

Agree with this. I was confused why he even asked her cause she was respectful from the get go. But i guess he had not seen them interacting before.... when ST drew MY, they were alone. I adore her more whenever she calls ST, Oppa! 

I know she manipulated ST and GT to stay with her but this is going to be the first step towards all of them healing. 

I'm no psychologist but I'm beginning to agree with the view that MY's personality disorder seems to be more a result of environmental factors than genetics. If her mother suffered from mental illness too perhaps she might have been more susceptible having similar genes. While I'm not sure her actions can be constituted as empathy, she has at least a little regard for people. She seems to have more consideration for ST because she knows he is important to KT and while she might not fully comprehend her emotions, KT is important to her. Therefore, as her environment changes and there's more positive stimulus, I think she might be able to learn how to love and care for others. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

:crybaby:

This scene kills me...and the next day Kang Tae was all bruised. Such a heart wrenching episode and also the ending scene with Moon Young's cries for help even though she tells him to go. Anyone figures out who plays her mother yet? Really curious about the backstory to this, but I'm willing to wait.

Such great performances from all of the casts. The more reason for me to love it.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Valhad said:

I haven't watched ep 6 yet but the first 20 minutes or so of ep 5 (from the start up to KMY waking up and staring at the face's chart in MKT's room are probably my favourites so far.

:approves: 

p.s Dear @Valhad please don't forget to remove the image before you quote.

• Like 3

I just noticed something. In this picture below, MY looks at KT through an open window. Apart from it referencing the Romeo-Juliet tragedy, I feel like it also screams “open feelings”.

iotnbo05-00194.jpg

MY is an open book when it comes to romance. She shows KT that she likes him, desperately wants him and he’s HERS !! While KT looks at her like she’s nuts... :lol:

• Like 10
  • Love 4

42 minutes ago, debbsthebee said:

I'm no psychologist but I'm beginning to agree with the view that MY's personality disorder seems to be more a result of environmental factors than genetics. If her mother suffered from mental illness too perhaps she might have been more susceptible having similar genes. While I'm not sure her actions can be constituted as empathy, she has at least a little regard for people. She seems to have more consideration for ST because she knows he is important to KT and while she might not fully comprehend her emotions, KT is important to her. Therefore, as her environment changes and there's more positive stimulus, I think she might be able to learn how to love and care for others. 

She's shown a degree of empathy towards those being ill-treated: the little girl in ep1, ST, KGD... whilst instantly standing up to bullies. She definately identifies herself with the first lot so in a sense she is aware there is something "wrong" with her, arrogant facade notwithstanding.

27 minutes ago, heartoppaya said:

I just noticed something. In this picture below, MY looks at KT through an open window. Apart from it referencing the Romeo-Juliet tragedy, I feel like it also screams “open feelings”.

iotnbo05-00194.jpg

MY is an open book when it comes to romance. She shows KT that she likes him, desperately wants him and he’s HERS !! While KT looks at her like she’s nuts... :lol:

The range of expressions from SYJ/KMY is absolutely amazing. She looks simply at ease right there. 

• Like 11

My heart goes out to both Gang Tae and Moon Young in ep.06. So that's why Sang Tae freaks out whenever Gang Tae loses his cool.. it's 'cause of a trauma that stems from childhood. Which explains why he keeps reading Gang Tae's facial expressions to gauge his emotions.

Poor Gang Tae... havin' to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. And he's just a kid who yearns for his mother's love. Whereas Moon Young is haunted by her mom. It looks like Sang Tae's probably the sanest out of this bunch. He's also incredibly insightful into everyone else's psyche than themselves. Which isn't uncanny for certain autistic individuals. He's like a autistic savant I suppose?   

I am laughing at the ending blooper reel LMFAo!! Thank goodness, 'cause it was just such a dark and heavy episode. Seeing a laughing Seo Ye Ji was quite the reprieve I must say ha-ha. She's pretty dorky in variety too. Her waist looked ridiculously tiny in that 2 piece pink skirt suit - which was to-die-for by the way. I want it, along with the bag and earrings LoL.

• Like 9