[OFFICIAL] Hyun Bin ❤️ Son Ye Jin (BinJin Couple)

cybertron

CLOY world domination! Someone once told that this show will never be as big as its predecessors but, boy, he was wrong. It exceeded expectations.  A big part of the success of course is our OTP. :wub: 

https://apjjf.org/2020/12/EpsteinGreen.html  This is a super lengthy article but here are some of the highlights under spoiler

Spoiler

International Responses

What noteworthy features have arisen in how overseas viewers react to Crash Landing, given the issues raised for domestic audiences? The embedding of South Korean popular culture in interwoven webs of contested reception has been a striking feature of the world’s movement to ever more interconnected media production, consumption and pop cosmopolitanism (Lee 2018). By the end of the 1990s, dramas had become a key component in the growing popularity of South Korea’s cultural products around East Asia, and by the 2000s were being licensed internationally and achieving surprising successes, from, e.g., the phenomenon of Winter Sonata in Japan to the popularity of historical dramas Dae Jang Geum and Jumong in Iran, both of which garnered local viewer ratings of over 85% (Kang 2016).

These developments have continued apace, and with the rise of streaming services like Hulu, Viki and now especially Netflix, which has signed contracts with Korean companies for the production of original series (Lee 2020), Korean dramas have well and truly entered the global cultural mainstream. As YouTube user Deemalovesdrama notes in a review of Crash Landing, the arrival of Netflix as a platform has had an enormous impact upon her watching experience; the vastly improved image quality brings further life to the enjoyment of online audiences.

The presence of Korean dramas on Netflix has given the genre a further push amidst the coronavirus crisis as housebound viewers across the globe looked online for new content, and Crash Landing has been by far its most noteworthy beneficiary. Although viewership data from Netflix has been difficult to obtain (Katz 2019), in February 2020 the show held the top spot on Netflix in the Philippines, and in May 2020 in Japan (MBN 2020); one source cites it as the 3rd most watched show on Netflix in March 2020 in the US (Ockoala 2020).

As an alternate metric for the relative success of its overseas audience and the level of engagement, as of June 1, 2020, Crash Landing on You had some 11,600 viewer ratings on Google, five times as many as its nearest competitor among Korean dramas, World of the Married (available on Viu through much of Asia, but not on Netflix) with 2250 reviews, and in contrast to roughly 1800 for Kingdom, 1000 for Descendants of the Sun and 400 for Sky Castle, other notably popular Korean dramas internationally.

To be sure, the intriguing subject matter of Crash Landing and the glimpses it offered into North Korea early on played a key role in attracting viewers in typical Hallyu target markets around Asia such as the Sinophone locales of Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and the PRC Mainland itself, and Southeast Asian nations like the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand. Media articles, especially as the show moved towards its finale attested to its broad regional success. Much commentary on the show evaluated it positively, and the combination of favourable review and reporting on a phenomenon to be taken note of undoubtedly fuelled further audience growth. Journalists from around the region regularly pointed to interest in the depiction of North Korea, with a nod to the emotive qualities that the show engaged, as for example a Straits Times’ piece that quoted a Singaporean fan on how the show awakened awareness “of the sadness and longing that Koreans who have family or friends on the other side of the DMZ…must be feeling” (Kiew and Low 2020). Such media reviews often convey a local flavour in their invocation of shared, transnational consumption that links viewers to the region’s popular culture superpower, as in the following comment from online Philippines news website Rappler: “Everyone from your best friend, to your neighbor, to your tita, to your doctor, and even to your doctor’s secretary is obsessed with South Korea's latest television hit, Crash Landing On You.” (Adan 2020).

Many viewers took notice of Crash Landing as a cultural phenomenon, which generated further interest. Currently, Crash Landing still carries a striking 5.0 rating among its Google reviews, and several commenters make a direct declaration of the show’s popularity in their country. In part, such statements mark the author’s own engagement with the show, but they also indicate a desire to situate their own nation within a global community that is linked to the Korean Peninsula. Several, whether hyperbolically or not, rate Crash Landing as the best (and at times first) Korean drama they had ever watched, such as the top Google review, which has been liked over 500 times, from user Varsha ranu kh, whose LinkedIn profile indicates 30-something woman working in digital media in Mumbai: “Best best best show! I have got so many of my Indian friends addicted to this show! It's flawless! What chemistry!! It's like u r in a dream! Imagine having Hyun bin character in real!” The effervescent approval testifies to the drama’s spread in a major country in which a significant part of the population now accesses Korean productions through English subtitles.

Certainly, although international viewers were fascinated with the window into life in North Korea, because they live outside the direct consequences and impacts of the Korean Peninsula’s political realities, as the above comment indicates, their reactions to the show often differ. In particular, long-time followers of Korean dramas as a subcultural genre often focus on the stars involved, the chemistry between the leads, and textual aspects of the show itself and how they relate to conventions of K-dramas. Popular fan fora on the show, such as that of Soompi, one of the largest and longest-running internet websites devoted to Korean popular culture, now run to several hundred pages. A great deal occurs in blog format, and the 17,600-word review (almost twice as long as this article) by kfangurl on thefangirlverdict.com, among the more popular Korean drama blogs, serves as a marker of engagement and fandom. The language typifies K-drama fan discourse, with multiple usages that signal and accentuate in-group identity among fellow fans:

One thing that Show does really well, is poke fun at drama tropes as a whole, and bring the funny doing that, while serving up drama tropes in its own story, and bringing the feels with those. For new drama viewers, this is quite a special two-way indoctrination. Like, first, let me show you what’s so cliched about drama tropes, and oh, by the way, this is why you’ll love ’em so much: Feeelzzz. Ha.

Many non-Korean fans of South Korean drama understand that the action on screen may not reflect Korean culture accurately, but rather presents a fantasy version of it, much as fictional productions from their own countries do. As a result, many seek interpreters with insider knowledge to aid in their interpretations of what they are watching (Schulze 2013). In this regard, diaspora Koreans and English-speaking Koreans become valuable sources in internet fora and via user-generated video review, but a level of complication is added with Crash Landing, as viewers are set at an additional remove from the South Korea that they are more familiar with. The YouTube channel Duckhu TV, for example, presents two young South Korean women who speak enthusiastically about the show. They serve as intermediaries in having the English skills to be able to address a global audience directly but recognise that their own knowledge has limitations. Although one states “I don’t know if international viewers were able to catch this but some of the actors’ North Korean accent sounded so legit,” the pair immediately call themselves back and recognise that, in this case, their sense of legitimacy is not the same as that of a talbukja.

In a Twitter thread, Subin Kim, the author of a BBC World Service article on the show, had asked if his followers had questions for his upcoming interview with a member of the show’s writing team, a North Korean defector whom Kim described as “the one who brought such compelling details on the life and socio-political structure of North Korea.”16 His tweet received over 13,000 likes and almost 3000 retweets and hundreds of comments, many expressing curiosity about the show’s authenticity and the extent to which various details reflected the defector’s own experience. Amidst their specific queries, many paused to comment on the quality of the drama and their enjoyment, again often declaring national origin. Comments arrived not only in English but in Spanish and Indonesian, and from fellow journalists and academics. Kim, evidently overwhelmed at the response, himself commented in an interaction with a follower from the Philippines: “What an era we're living in in which we can talk about an ongoing TV show three thousand kilometers away!” And, indeed, there is something exciting about the creation of new global cross-cultural communities via technological platforms that remain relatively new and the role of South Korea as a nation that has moved from the periphery to the centre of popular culture production. At the same time, Crash Landing also demonstrates that the North Korean experience has been co-opted and transformed into a bankable commodity that functions as an element of Hallyu and the expansion of South Korean soft power.

I am hoping that shows like Ellen would guest HB and SYJ... and there they would talk about their married life.. how they are expecting twins already... :D

• Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Choisamsook said:

And if that happen, he will have 23.4 M followers, only following son ye jin, post one picture, with . (dot) caption,  and that picture will have 346.756 comments, 4.768.345 likes and thats it, he will never post again, coz he is an ahjussi. 

Omg, I actually imagined him opening an IG account one day, maybe after he gets married, and the only two accounts he'll follow are yejinhand and vast.ent! 

I'm willing it to happen...I've seen about 4 male stars from the Chinese-speaking entertainment industry, who are known to be old-fashioned or super private, open IG accounts after they got into a relationship or married because of wife or gf's influence. Not sure if HB will do the same (since Korea is a bit way more strict on how they view celebrities) but one can hope! 

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 1

33 minutes ago, Kari said:

3. A different topic - back to the grocery pics, many people focused on SYJ's backpack, the red wine, the produce, etc. but all I keep looking at is that HUGE a** bag of popcorn. If I'm not wrong, it's the white cheddar cheese popcorn from the Smartfood brand. Regardless, that's a pretty huge bag of snack to eat if you're just temporarily in LA for work or a short vacation. Hmmm maybe they spent nights watching movies together with popcorn and red wine? Has the popcorn/snack been discussed before? :wub:

Yes! I have eaten this popcorn before maybe once? It's good lol. Also, why I randomly was looking up what movies were playing between December-January that time as it was clear during couch talk they watched movies/shows together lol. However, I think I just came up with the conclusion they probably netflix and chill. :lol: Unless someone can confidently guess what movie they could have watched together in LA :P I mean I know I watched Glass in January . December I watched Mary Poppins Returns (that would still be playing in January). Some other films in December I saw during TIFF festival. Maybe they also played Oscar nominated movies in LA then in January. They usually replay Oscar nominated films here a month before. I don't know lol. I think we came to the conclusion they saw A Star Is Born together regardless lol (before or during LA who knows lol) :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

14 hours ago, Loveumore said:

Never get tired watching this promo event moments. 

"Don't fall for words. Fall for actions." :love:

I just noticed that Yejin was tucking her hair behind her ear most of the time. Her body language revealed that she's nervous around him lol. I think she had noticed his being caring and concerned towards her. :)

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 4

Son Ye Jin is only 38 yrs old. For white people like italian, american, and russian, they find 38 yrs old woman is an ideal age for them to settling down seriously. marrying younger than this age according to them will just end up in separation or rather in a divorce should i say..

Ideally, Binjin met at the right age and time where both of them are already established in their career, finances and confidence .. if they decided to build a family at this point , it is easier for both to slowdown their orbits in the industry of entertainment and focus more their attentions in their marriage life..Family is actually the epicenter of life existence so both  shouldn't miss this opportunity..Both are beautiful species that need to spread their genes...

i tried to lurk also with the other shipping group like hyun and that certain ex. Son Ye Jin was their main topic at that time. their vibes implicate negativity and i decided not to lurk there anymore..only few people interacting with their delulus ..i tried also to lurk with the other shipping group of SYJ and her recently pair in a previous drama and the interactions there are much healthier ...yet i stopped lurking those other group shippers as this thread is still the most positive shipping to achieve its goal.. 

• Like 18
  • Love 5

8 hours ago, Jimmy Greene said:

I would love to have BinJin couple interviewed on an English talk show.  With this said I have asked the Ellen DeGeneres show to consider the pair for her show.  One request is one request, 100 is 100 a bigger number.  Need help for this to happen.  This is a way to give back to the couple we admire tremendously.  I would love to see them with more opportunities especially in the US.  If you agree feel free to personally click the site and ask the show to consider the pair for their American debut.  

https://send.ellentv.com/be-on-the-show/2dddfb59-a824-4bae-bc7b-0ff88e43c3e4/

(Okay I will make it easier for the group, remember this is going to Warner Brothers so they request information to verify you are who you are.  Do not included  pictures unless it is copyrighted to you).

/////////

Hi Ellen,

This request is to ask you to please invite both Son Ye Jin and Hyun Bin to appear on a future show.  These are two are beautiful people who are rumored to be dating with a nick name of BinJin Couple although they won’t confirm, (wink wink).   When they are together their chemistry is magical.  They are A listed actors in Asia.  They are on the recently released show called Crash Landing on You that continues to be a top 10 show for Netflix and has been the number one show in Japan for three weeks in a row.  What is amazing is that the show is in Korean with subtitles in various languages including English. They speak English.  This show has been a tremendous boost for folks globally that have been impacted by COVID 19.  They believe in great causes, and have donated well over several hundreds of dollars.  He is as popular as Brad Pitt and she is stunning.  She is a great dancer and he is also a musician.  If you invite them your ratings would be massive.  Ellen we want your show to host them and celebrate their introduction to the US.  She just signed a cosmetic contract with Jennyhouse who is huge in Korea.  I am sure they would want to be part of this show.  Her new line of products sold out in fours hours.  She is stunning and an even better actress.  Thank you for considering our request.

///

Edited by Jimmy Greene
Flow
  • Like 10
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 6

One of the biggest reasons they don’t announce something it could be that they don’t want the public to blame them for taking the spotlight in a time where the whole world is under a severe attack from a virus that kills people left and right . We know how sensitive they are on these things . 

Another reason is they haven’t picked or they picked a date for that but the pandemic ruined their plans . Not the first people who had the cancel plans this year. 

Another reason is that the public might not be ready for it but at this point like if they go and announce hey you guys we getting married people are gonna be like “ what took you so long .... oh wait omg I didn’t see that one coming * acting surprised *  “  So if they think that better reconsider... 

In the end my prediction is that they won’t rush and they shouldn’t rush to tell anything until they are sure of it . They might even marry in private and come up in a year ... “ oops we got married , we forgot to say it “ but not sure if they will do that , Knetz are more unforgiving to that than an announcement of a date forward. Not sure why , it’s not like it’s their marriage or something . 

But their actions post drama slowly unravel a more specific plan and they might focus on their photoshoots and endorsements, him wrapping properly the movie as well . Hopefully we will get more content for YJ .

• Like 16
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Intuition1 said:

I do not know if others have brought up that Christmas is more like a couple's celebration in Korea than the way it is seen in the West, so for her to put up a picture of both of them for Christmas says a lot about their status. I wonder sometimes if they have non verbally told us they are together, but have not yet spelled it out.

Also, another thing I learned about Korean culture is the connection between showers and intimacy in their movies and dramas. If a male and a female are together and talk about shower it is usually alluding to sex. When I learned about this, I understood the scene in CLOY when RJH goes to YSR's apartment for the first time after he goes to the South, she tells him to make himself comfortable and asks him if he wants to take a shower...

The Christmas IG pic is definitely the most significant sign for me :wub: esp since from what I read his agency confirmed his breakup with his ex before Christmas in 2017?
I didnt know about the connection between showers but this reminds me of the BTS Hospital scene where she asks him if she showered :rolleyes: 

• Like 11
  • Naughty 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

@wolfie26 sorry if this was in reference to my post, i wasn't speculating. i know the actual timeline/ my healthy timeline is of course TN promo period where it started lol. That was why I mentioned they were both so busy working post TN filming period. So it is more realistic they reconnected briefly during TN reshoots and obviously got closer during TN promo period.  i was mentioning in general they could have kept in touch in 2017 as friends (through texts) but we will never know and i dont really want to touch that time period either. i just know his last sighting with that ex was late july (according to hb thread, from picture taken, of course they could have still met up after) and they got busy with work before the official announcement came out in December. Everytime I rewatch an older interview from the past/earlier years, it just makes me realize how consistent he is with what he believes in. That made me realize more of what he said in couch talk it could take several meanings whether he was referring to their past or present or even future situation. only they know which one is true lol. regardless, he mentioned that he calls her "actress son" in that early interview during TN press. It is clear after they got closer he no longer calls her that but of course, still likes to constantly say to see movie/drama for her. Sigh how he respects her as an actress :wub:

I've never seen this one before. Anyways, yay for past new content that I don't know ^_^

• Like 11
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Kari said:

Lol I want to take this opportunity to also write to any HB fangirl: Sorry, HB will never date you, f*** you, let alone marry you :joy:  

This comment is inappropriate and uncalled for in this shipper forum where people who are participating in this forum are happily shipping and supporting HB with SYJ to be a real couple even though they may also be HB fans at the same time. Many shippers here including HB fans are happily married or attached with their own significant other half in real life so there is no question that they want to date or marry him and therefore no reason to insinuate that HB fans want to date or marry him in this shipper forum. If the comment is aimed at the anti shippers or trolls, please rephrase it as such rather than calling out on all HB fans which is uncalled for. Finally, would also suggest not to use that not so nice word starting with f in a forum like this. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, ElectricHearts said:

they got busy with work before the official announcement came out in December.

There is almost always a long period of separation before a celebrity couple actually announces that they have broken up. Tabloids will frequently say "haven't been seen together in months," "rumored to have parted ways already," or "was seen alone at such and such event."  I often get the feeling that they wait until someone notices they haven't been together or wait until they have both composed themselves before they publically announce. I figure a break up is 4 to 8 weeks old before they are willing to share the news. We'll never know, but my guess is that HB's former relationship was over for weeks or months before they admitted it. It's so personal, you know? I see why you'd want to wait a little bit before you expose your personal hurts or failures.

• Like 11
  • Insightful 4